***Chapter Fifty-Two***
Easter 2000

Easter dinner was done. Everyone had left except for Severus' mum, Hermione, and Severus. The five of them managed to get everything cleaned up quite quickly and then sat at the kitchen table. One of the things Hermione loved about these two, the older versions of them. They liked to sit in their kitchen, at this table. They had a formal dining room table separate from the ballroom where they hosted holidays. As far as Hermione knew, other than special occasions like an anniversary or something, they never used the formal dining room. She liked that they were comfortable here, in the kitchen.

Hermione's parents had been there earlier but left not long after dinner was over. Hermione was surprised at how pleasant her mum had been to Marie compared to Christmas. She'd been pleasant at Christmas, but full of questions. Erik informed her around dessert that the Grangers knew the truth as well. That explained it, and she was curious how that conversation went. Not to mention why neither Marie nor her mother had said anything to her. True, she'd been a bit busy, but still. She would think her mum would have sent her a letter or Marie a patronus. Or Erik the times he stopped by to see her at the Archives would have mentioned it. Maybe they all assumed one or the other would have.

"Well, another holiday dinner done." Marie said. "You know where the leftovers are if you want to take any back for you and Tobias, Eileen."

No doubt Eileen and Tobias could eat for days. Tobias Snape never came to these meals. As far as Hermione knew, he'd never been invited. It made her wonder what Severus' father did on holidays. Alone. Without his wife or son. One day, not on a holiday, she'd ask.

"Thank you, Dear."

"We are pregnant," Hermione said without thought or waiting for a break in the conversation.

"Really?" Marie and Eileen both asked. Both seemed surprised.

"This is how you choose to tell them?" Severus asked, sounding more amused than anything. They'd debated on who to tell when. Or whether to wait.

"Some of us knew that already," Erik said. Hermione regarded him, wondering if he was bluffing. It was difficult to tell with him, but he didn't seem as if he was.

"How did you know that?" Marie asked, regarding him. Excellent question, because she was curious, too. She didn't think she was showing that much yet to where he'd have noticed. Then, considering how many grandchildren he had by now and his keen observation skills. Maybe she showed more than she realized she did.

Some of her favourite past times were the mornings Severus woke her up with his hand over her abdomen. He wanted so badly to feel his son kick. She tried telling him, as did Poppy, that it would come in time. He, evidently, wanted it to happen sooner than their son had in mind for making his presence known. Beyond the usual symptoms anyway. She hated when he had to start his day and his hand had to go with him. She felt so … loved when he did that. As if he was wordlessly telling their son, and her, that he would protect him at all costs. It was very sweet, and a side of him she doubted he'd let many others see.

"I remember what you did, and didn't, like when you were pregnant. I realize it has been some time, however, my memory is still intact, thank Merlin. I presume those would translate to being the same in Hermione. I noticed what she did, and didn't, eat today at dinner versus what she usually does and doesn't eat."

Marie rolled her eyes. "Sneaky bastard," she muttered, bussing him on the lips. "That's what I get for marrying a spy."

"Yes, well. I didn't know until today either because I haven't seen her eat since Christmas, and I presume she was not with child then."

"No, I wasn't."

"We think…" Severus said.

"Severus," she said and the other three laughed.

"Well?" Marie asked. "What is it?"

"A boy," Severus said. Hermione tilted her head a bit. The attention. The sound of pride in Severus' voice. 

"Excellent," Erik said. "Congratulations. I trust you are feeling well?"

"I am for the most part. I'm tired all of the time."

"Severus took all of my energy," Eileen said. "They say it's supposed to lighten up your second trimester. Not my Severus. The entire time."

"That explains it," Marie said with a snort.

"Yet somehow you managed to keep this household afloat," Erik said.

"I didn't have a choice! We both agreed that everything here, all of it, was important for not just Thomas, but all of the children."

"We did, you're right. I'm not trying to make light of it. I have never had to act as an incubator for another human, so would not insult you in such a fashion. I'm just saying. You managed despite the tiredness."

"I know, but it does explain a lot. It would have been nice to know that seventy years ago."

"Yes, well, it is what it is. Eileen certainly never shared that bit of information with me prior to today. Any more from Meredith?" Erik asked. He sounded as if he didn't want to bring it up, but felt he had to. Hermione felt bad for him. It wasn't his fault. And yet, he was probably concerned as to whether they stopped Thomas only to have Meredith become a pureblooded tyrant in his place. Hermione didn't get that impression. She'd seen Meredith less than a handful of times since that day she'd been told she was pregnant. She wasn't … kinder necessarily, but whatever she'd thought of Severus or she might have with Severus. She clearly realized that wasn't happening. Hermione hoped that was all it was. A jealous witch with a crush and nothing more. She was pretty sure it would break Erik and Marie's hearts otherwise.

"You told him?" Hermione asked. That surprised her for some reason. She hadn't realized he would or did.

"I thought it was rather important that he know his great granddaughter, who is essentially our great granddaughter, was causing problems, and no, nothing more," Severus said. "I would have told you if she'd done more than she has."

"I suppose," Hermione said. It made sense. She was still getting used to him talking to people. Erik wasn't people, she knew that. Still, it was different.

"Thomas was already aware, just by the way. I told him so that he knew," Erik said. "He said he scolded her. I do not know if it will help the situation, but if it does not change, please let me know. I will talk to her myself."

Hermione wasn't sure that wouldn't make matters worse. Unless it got really bad, she wouldn't say more. Poppy was ecstatic to due her prenatal visits and diagnostics. That would leave them having the baby at St. Mungos. Hopefully, by then, the witch would be fine.

"Oh, well, we're fine now that Poppy is caring for me."

"When are you due?"

"End September she says."

"I don't envy you," Marie said. "I had Philip at the end of July and that was miserable enough, let alone into August."

"Your parents know?" Erik asked.

"Yes, we told them last weekend."

"Are they excited?"

"Yes, actually, very much so. That sort of surprised me, but I suppose if they know the truth that makes sense. They come here and see all of these descendants they can't claim."

"I should have told you," Marie said. "She showed up here a couple of weeks after Christmas with a picture of our great gandmum Christensen. I admit, I understand why she stared as she did at Christmas after seeing that picture. I could be her twin. I didn't recall having ever seen that particular picture of Henrietta until she brought it here."

"She didn't tell me."

"Maybe she doesn't know how? But yes, I see why they'd be excited at the prospect of having grandchildren that they can show love to."

Marie stood then and walked to Hermione, hugging her from behind. She then moved to Severus and did the same. "I'm so happy for you both."

"Thank you," Severus said. "I can truly say hearing those words were probably the most gut wrenchingly frightening yet soul lifting words I've ever heard."

"I understand completely. Thomas wasn't yet six when Hermione told me that she was with Charlotte. A large enough gap between them, for certain. So, that wasn't it. The economy was still in a downturn. It was rather frightening."

"Wait, are you saying your potion failed?" Hermione asked.

"No," Erik said with a lift of his lips. "My wife wanted to try. She thought waiting much too long after Thomas for a second would seem odd to some, and in truth I didn't relish the idea of waiting much longer either. We knew things were at the point of turning in the right direction economy-wise. I was not expecting, after years of her being on the potion, that it would take the first time."

"Well, Hermione wasn't on it for years, but I wasn't expecting it to take so quickly either," Severus said.

"Yes, well, obviously nothing wrong with my boy's reproductive capabilities, regardless of the time it would seem."

"Mum," Erik and Severus both said, sounding very much the same. That made Hermione and Marie laugh. Neither of their husbands saw the humour it seemed, which only made them laugh more.



"So, does that mean we have another son come September?" Erik posed later in bed.

"Technically, I suppose that it does. At least I'm not the one doing the work this time. How was it you put it earlier? Incubating a human? I loved it, you know that I did, but I'm very glad those days are behind me."

He snorted softly at that.

"Severus and I have come to the conclusion that we are going to have to tell our descendants that the Prinses and Princes are related."

"I suppose we will, to avoid accidental crossing of bloodlines."

"Yes. I think we'll have at least a dozen, four will for certain be his year, at Hogwarts at the same time as their son will be."

"You really have thought of this."

"I have."

"I wondered what you two were talking about."

"He wanted advice, if you can believe that."

"I can. He sees that you obviously succeeded."

"Thanks to you, which is exactly what I told him."

"Another Easter in the books," she murmured against him.

"You have given me so much, Marie. If I don't tell you that enough, neglecting to tell you on a daily basis is probably not enough, I apologize."

"You love me, Erik. That in itself speaks so much louder than words."

"Are you going to get the crib out for her to see?"

"Yes," she said with a soft sigh.

"Good. I'd like to tempt them into just staying here after the summer."

"Oh?"

"We will come home in August as expected and as is tradition, but honestly I would like this to be your last, or one of your last, school years employed."

"Erik?" she asked, turning onto her side.

"I was thinking," he said, turning to face her. He brushed some of her hair behind her ear, grazing her cheek with his thumb. Her eyes fluttered closed. This long in, she still enjoyed his touch as much as he enjoyed touching her. "That would give them the year to adjust. Them and our descendants. And Eileen."

"True."

"And, well, if you truly get bored during our time here, you know a Ministry archivist who would let you putz around in her area when you need to keep busy I imagine."

"Are you planning on allowing me to get bored?"

"Hardly."

"Glad to know."

"It's been twenty years since I retired. I know why you wanted to continue working. You wanted to ensure she finished her education. She is done. She is employed. She is married, and is embarking on a family of her own. With him. I understand, given your reaction to them not having a wedding, why you would want to be here until after their son is born. I know you will want to be a part of her shower, something you never got. I know that you will want to see their son born and hold him just once. I will, too, admittedly."

"And I love that you can admit that. Even if it's just to me."

"I would be lying if I said otherwise. We have come a long way, and I wouldn't change a moment of it, but it is time. We have done all that we can do for our children, our younger selves, Hogwarts, the world. It is our time, Love."

"I will talk to Albus then."

"That doesn't mean that we'll never be back. That we won't see their next child and so on."

"I know."

"And I imagine the younger versions of ourselves would be happy to let us stay here."

She snorted.

"I imagine also that your parents might like very much to visit us in Arizona once they have their winters free. I know they have time yet, but it sounds as if they enjoyed their trip there when you were a child."

"They did, you're right. It would be nice to have them. Thank you for including them."

"You have been nothing but kind to my mother since the day you first saw her sixty years ago. I will of course treat your parents with the same courtesy. They did nothing but love you, and make you into the witch who agreed to Albus' scheme."

"Do you think your mum would take my position?"

"I'm sorry?" Clearly surprised by her question.

She shrugged. "It was just a thought."

"You can certainly bring it up to her. I can see where she'd enjoy it now that you mention it. I hadn't thought of it, but she would see the Prins and Snape offspring for years to come."

"That was kind of my thought, and she is very organized."

"I am aware."

"I know you are."

"STS?"

"Yes, HG?"

"I am very much looking forward to our time."

"Good," he said, grazing her temple with a kiss.

"Speaking of Albus," Marie said softly, clearly about to succumb to sleep.

"I didn't realize we were, but yes?"

"Are you ever going to tell him that he was, in fact, right about love?"

"No, it shall be our little secret. Nor will I acknowledge that he chose well."

"He did," she said. "For both of us."

"I am pleased that you think so."

"I don't think, Erik. I know he did."

Return to Top

Part 51 | Part 53

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com