***Chapter Fifty-One***

"Your granddaughter is here to see you, Sir," Stasia said.

"Really?" Thomas asked, surprised at the unexpected visit. "Send her in, please."

He stood from his desk then, walking to the more comfortable and less formal table he had that overlooked the "street". For whatever reason, maintenance always gave him views of various London streets. He didn't get to use this table often, but sometimes he'd sit here with his morning cup of tea to read the newspaper or a briefing because he enjoyed getting away from his desk for a while.

"Meredith," he said. "How's my favorite granddaughter?"

She brightened at that. It had taken her a while to catch on to the fact that she was his only granddaughter. When she first figured that out, she had gotten mad when he called her that. He didn't stop because that's what dad's and grandfather's did. Now it seemed to make her happy again.

"Good."

"It is a lovely surprise to see you. Why aren't you at work?"

"I start in a little while, Grandpa. I wanted to talk to you for a moment."

"Okay," he said, having no idea what she'd need to talk to him about that needed to be discussed at work, away from her mum or Millie.

He could tell by the look on her face that there was something on her mind, though. Had she found a witch to settle down with? Millie wasn't necessarily in favour of Meredith's potential choice in a mate, but she'd never expressed that to anyone but Thomas. Thomas, for his part, had been a pretty vocal advocate for his granddaughter, that her concern should be happiness first and foremost, not what anyone who wasn't living in her home might have to say about her chosen life partner.

"Mum says that Grandma and Grandpa are thinking of giving the house to Hermione Snape."

"Well, they'd be selling it to Hermione and Severus both, but, yes, they're giving more thought to leaving the area. They have mentioned that to us." None of them wanted it, not really. The memories aside, it wasn't their house. They'd all talked about it after Mum and Dad told them of the possibility. No doubt they were worried someone might get upset or take offense. They all had their own homes. It made sense that it would go to someone who could make it their home. And the fact that Severus was a potions master the same as his father. Well, the potions lab on the property was perfect for him.

That aside. He wasn't sure why this warranted a visit to him at work by Meredith. Why would she care who his parents were going to sell their property to?

"Why?"

She had a … victorious look in her eye that Thomas didn't understand.

"That's why she married him!"

Thomas considered himself a pretty intelligent man. He wasn't vain or conceited, but he'd lived long enough to be able to see others to compare and contrast. His parents had ingrained in him from the time he was walking probably that intelligence did not equate to being unable to do a job. Or to be treated disrespectfully.

They'd had muggle cars over the years. Cars that had to be brought to mechanics for maintenance, and occasionally repairs. He and his father had more often than not watched, rather entranced, as the mechanics made their job look incredibly easy. Some would say such a job didn't take intellect, but after watching - especially as automobiles evolved over the years and were becoming more computerized now - well, he would argue otherwise.

So, it was with that in mind that he truly had no idea what his granddaughter was going on about.

"I'm sorry?"

"Hermione," she spat. It was no secret that Meredith and Hermione were not … friendly. As far as he knew, she hadn't embarrassed the family by publicizing that dislike. "She married Professor Snape to get the house."

Thomas stared at his granddaughter, wondering how in Merlin's name she'd come up with this idea. It was so far fetched it would never enter his mind as even a remote possibility. What was more, why did she care?

Anyone who knew either Hermione Granger or Severus Snape, even remotely, knew that neither would marry for something as petty as a house. Not that the house he'd grown up in was small nor the land surrounding it negligible in size. However, neither would marry for such a reason. There were people out there who definitely would do such a thing.

Those two, though. No. When he'd seen their marriage certificate on his desk, there had been no doubt or question in his mind at the legitimacy of their union. Unexpected, yes, but that they'd eloped not that they'd married. He observed them when he had the opportunity to at family dinners, and he thought they were suitable.

Thomas was very confident in that opinion. He'd met gold diggers in his lifetime. Neither of them was one. One of his nieces, in fact, had one chasing after her for a while. (Because, yes, men could be gold diggers, too.) She'd caught on, though, and cut him loose.

From Thomas's understanding, his parents wanted to sell it to Hermione. The fact that Severus was married to her just happened to make the sale to the couple. Hermione had taken care of the house the past two summers while they'd traveled, and from everything his parents told him had done exceptionally well. It wasn't an easy job, Thomas knew that, and he hadn't done nearly the amount of work as far as upkeep inside and outside the house as his mum had over the years.

He understood, too, what his parents were trying to avoid by going this route.

Any hard feelings.

He, Charlotte, Philip, Graham, and Willem wouldn't have them. Nor would his four foster brothers. They were all established in their own homes and, as much as they each loved the house they'd grown up in, he didn't see any of them wanting it to the point of getting mad that someone else got it. However, his parents were pretty fair and diplomatic people, who tried to avoid strife when possible.

Tack onto that the grandchildren had children. There were also great great grandchildren in the picture these days. Some not old enough to understand the finances that went into purchasing a home, let alone involved in the upkeep of the type of home he'd grown up in. All of the mouths of livestock cost money to feed and care for. All the crops had to be bought in their seed form and planted to get the food they produced. They wouldn't understand that it was more than just a house.

Honestly, the idea of another potion master putzing around in his father's gardens … pleased Thomas rather than made him jealous or anything.

Some wouldn't understand why his oldest grandson, Larry, say could afford the house versus Philip's two grandsons born just last year who obviously wouldn't stand a chance. How did his parents ensure it was even footing for anyone who might want the house to have the chance to purchase it? And how would they choose if three, four, or five wanted the house? And how did they avoid bad blood if a Prins got it over a Harrison, even though there was no question it didn't matter to his parents that those boys weren't of Prins blood.

There was no way they could fairly do it without hurting someone's feelings.

When it got down to it, he should be the one hurt that his parents were looking at selling it. He was the oldest son. Or his grandson, Erik Thomas, the oldest grandson. Neither were. So, to have Meredith … complain who was still training for her position. Did she think she'd stand a chance of being able to afford it?

So, it stood to reason, and Thomas and his sister and brothers had discussed it years ago now, that they would likely sell it versus leaving it to anyone. They also realized their parents wouldn't sell unless they found someone who they thought would actually live there versus selling it to someone who would make a housing development out of the land. The nine of them had agreed that if no one was found before their parents' deaths, none of them would sell the property. Ever. Even if it meant buying more house elves. Their parents would not want it torn up and dismantled like that.

Honestly, Tom couldn't imagine anyone but someone like Severus living there. With his father's potions lab already on the premises, it'd suit the potions master and his father's protege very well. He'd also heard his parents sing Hermione's praises during her two summers as caretaker. There was more to it than a few weeks of caretaking would reveal, but he suspected the Snapes were aware of that and wouldn't go into it blindly.

"Okay, Meredith. Let's calm down and think this through. Hermione, not Severus, has been included in our Christmas and Easter dinners whenever the Granger's had plans she could not accompany them for going back to at least her second year. Your first year so it may have escaped your notice the first year she came. She is a smart witch who did not need to marry anyone to accomplish what she wishes to. She could have had her pick of several positions here at the Ministry, Honey, including the Department of Mysteries, where your cousin Erika was hoping she'd apply. If she and Severus wish to purchase the home. Well, I'm not sure I see what the problem is, or how it's any of your - or anyone's - business. Mum and Dad care very much about that property and the land. They wouldn't sell it to someone who would just turn it into smaller homes or something."

"She's got him under thrall or something! I swear it! Have you actually looked at her? Come on! She has hair that…"

Oh the irony, Thomas mused to himself. His granddaughter would probably not recall his mum's hair before the grey had started coming in. Hermione Snape's hair reminded him a lot of his mum's hair when he was little. It wasn't something he thought of often, but he'd noticed it a time or two over the years of knowing the witch.

"All right, Meredith. I'm not sure where this is coming from. If you cared for the man I'm sure someone suited to you will come along."

"She's muggleborn, Grandfather!"

"And we are half bloods, Meredith. I shared my home with muggleborn wizards, men you to this day call ‘Uncle' and whose children and grandchildren you consider cousins. She has more than proven to be a capable witch. She nearly outdid my NEWTs, and the only other one to come close to doing that in the almost sixty years since I took them was her husband, just by the way. You have been raised better than to hold that against someone. Her abilities speak for themselves. Now, I thought you liked that Abbott girl truthfully."

She rolled her eyes and pouted. When she was ten, it was cute. Now that she was almost twenty, it wasn't so cute anymore. He couldn't recall Rose pouting in such a fashion when she was this age. It was a different time then, he supposed.

"She was just curious."

"I'm not sure where Severus fits in there, because he's not a witch. You will find someone. Were you thinking that he'd be so desperate for a wife that he'd take one who didn't truly love him and would be unfaithful to him? No one deserves that, Meredith, least of all a friend of my father's who was a good professor and guide to all of you throughout the years."

"What do you know? You met Grandma when you were eleven years old. I heard that she was so poor she couldn't even afford books. It's no wonder she latched onto and married you."

"Enough," he bellowed.

He waved his hand to close her mouth for her before she could say anything truly reprehensible and unforgivable that she would not be able to come back from. It was the first time in his life he had taken an offensive approach with one of his children or grandchildren.

"Do not, Meredith Jane Daughtery. I will not have you insult your grandmother, her family, or our family in such a fashion. If you weren't my granddaughter, I'd have a mind to speak to your trainer at St. Mungo's. That rhetoric does not belong here, and it certainly doesn't belong in someone who has designs on being a healer. All beings deserve equal care, Meredith."

He took a deep breath, realizing now wasn't the time for one of his lectures. She was upset about some slight she perceived. She wouldn't even listen to him at this point. He knew how it worked. The times his father, or mother, had tried to impart advice or knowledge onto him when he was upset. It went in one ear and right out the other.

"You have no idea what you're talking about. You are obviously upset, you had something concocted in your mind that Hermione has apparently unintentionally interfered with. It was obvious they were courting last summer when they showed up at Hogwarts together. I can assure you that the nine of us children were aware of the possible sale of the house."

"What about us grandchildren!"

"It's not your house. It's my parents' home to do with as they please, Meredith. It doesn't work that way. It's theirs and at their age, after all that they've done for each and every one of us, that includes you, they deserve to do what they want with it. There are no guarantees in life. You're not going to marry into money and automatically live happily ever after. Life is work, Merry," he said, using the pet name he'd called her when she was a little girl.

"You think I got to this position, and retained it for as long as I have unopposed, because I just expected anything to be handed to me? No, I earned it. I worked hard every day. My mum might have been my teacher but she was no less taxing than a regular school teacher would have been. In fact, she might have driven me harder. My parents told me I could be anything I wanted to be, so long as I did the work. I was raised better than that. And so were you, young lady. I remember the Depression. I know to you it's something you hear us "old people" talk about. It was very real and frightening. I remember plenty of friends having shoes incapable of being transfigured any further but couldn't afford new ones."

They never had that problem, and he knew his mum and dad had ensured that their used items got donated to those who needed them. Anonymously, because they didn't want anyone to think they owed the Prinses anything. He remembered going to the neighbor's house down the road with fruit. His mum took walnuts from the lady. Thomas hadn't understood why his mum was taking the walnuts when they had their own walnut trees. His mum wanted to ensure the children at least got some fruit. The woman had felt better giving something back to their mum in trade. Not taking the walnuts would have implied to the woman his mum knew they couldn't afford fruit. No one wanted to be insulted like that.

"I remember people starving and not finding work. Magical and muggle, just by the way. There were no exemptions. There was no magic available to create money or jobs." He shook his head, realizing he needed to stop. "You may leave now, but I sincerely hope that you will think about what I've said here. And if I hear one word of you causing the Snapes any problems, Meredith, there will be consequences. I don't care if I'm not your father. I'm your grandfather and my reputation is very important to not just my life but all of yours as well. The whiff of a scandal could mean very bad things for everyone. This family is more than just Meredith Daughtery. And they are the Snapes now. You need to think about your mindset, and who you're associating with, if you think anything but what I just said will lead to a successful life. Money doesn't equate success."

"Fine," she spat, spinning around on her heels before striding to the door.

He watched her leave with a heavy sigh. The silent click of the door closing after her departure was almost worse than the slam he'd been expecting. Where had he gone wrong? Where had Rose gone wrong? His father would be so disappointed to know one of his great grandchildren had those blood purist thoughts.

And regarding his protege's wife.

Thomas had been surprised by the marriage certificate when it showed up on his desk this past June, but it hadn't been a complete shock. It was the suddenness of it, not the fact they'd married. The two obviously enjoyed one another's company, and they were of similar mindsets when it came to work and ideals. Very much like his parents, which would explain why they had taken them under their wing. He would never understand the prejudice and fear regarding muggleborns. They were magical. Did people really think magic was contained solely in certain bloodlines? He couldn't fathom being that narrow minded.

No, that simply wasn't so.

Magic was … everywhere.

His parents had raised him to believe in the muggle God, and he still had a distant spiritual connection to those teachings. However, he didn't need God to know that looking at a blooming flower where previously there'd been just a bulb, seed, or even a weed was magical.

Or seeing a baby born.

He still remembered holding Erik Thomas in his arms for the first time. He'd wondered how his own father hadn't been brought to his knees at what his mother had gone through to have him. Like his own parents, he wanted him to be whatever he wanted to in life.

The right way.

Erik Thomas had been perfect and captured his heart from the moment he'd taken his first breath. And then had come Meredith's mother, Rose. His girl. He didn't know at all what hit him. That little girl was counting on him to ensure she had a good life. He had to lead by example, so that she'd want a good wizard when she got old enough to marry. To ensure she knew that she was capable of being an equal, and was not a second class citizen because she was female. And so that she would know how to raise her children to be good people.

That was magic, and it hadn't mattered what Millicent could or couldn't afford when she was a child to create it.

It had only taken love.

His parents had made that. Built it.

He had made that.

His brothers, sister, and foster brothers had as well. An argument could be made for Cole and Jackson remembering their parents. Benedict probably did, maybe. However, Thomas didn't think Randall had much recollection of their parents' influences. He'd only been five when his parents died.

Oh for sure, he'd over the years heard jokes, teasing at their expense that two people who'd been essentially orphaned had amassed a large family that were really quite loyal and faithful to the Prins name. They were close, too. Thomas had never understood the jokes when he was younger. As he'd gotten older, though, and saw families that were dysfunctional at best. Well, he understood it had been envy and admiration disguised as jest. In some instances, a lack of understanding or comprehension of what they had because they didn't themselves.

People thought what his parents had humbly built was admirable. A goal to achieve themselves. Not everyone, of course. He knew families like the Blacks and the Malfoys were always going to believe in blood purity, no matter what they said at meetings. (How Hermione Snape could be friends with Abraxas Malfoy's grandson was beyond him, but maybe young Draco was a freer thinker than Abraxas and Lucius were.)

Until Meredith, there hadn't been this sort of … thinking in their midst. He just hoped that she wasn't talking this way to other people! That would not bode well. His family and their appearance of being an accepting lot was a huge reason for his popularity.

"Arthur Weasley is here to see you, Minister," Stasia said, bringing him from his thoughts. Another thing that pointed to the way he was raised. His assistant's continued loyalty and dedication fifty years into their venture.

"Send him in," he said, making his way to his desk.

The expected brief reprieve with his granddaughter in his always busy day hadn't gone that way at all. Hopefully, Arthur Weasley would replace the bitter taste in his mouth. The red-headed man always had something amusing to share or ask him about.

***

Severus returned to his quarters after dinner. Hermione had not joined them for dinner in the Great Hall. She didn't always, depending on her work schedule. He did enjoy when she did, though. It was hard to determine who was more shocked by their being married: the staff or the students. They were used to it by now, though. Some still seemed shocked, though. And Severus could admit he enjoyed the response.

It had been a long day.

Three of his Gryffindors decided it would be a good idea to try to sneak into the Hufflepuff common room the night before. He wasn't sure to what end, but they would all be serving detention for being out after curfew.

Thankfully, none of them were on the house quidditch team, because they likely would have been suspended from tomorrow's game as a result of their shenanigans.

He suspected it had something to do with it being the weekend before Valentine's Day, which happened to fall on a Monday. Sunday was, of course, a Hogsmeade day.

Of course because Albus, despite seeming to be eternally single, believed in love and seemed to heartily approve of the pursuit of it (assuming both parties were receptive, of course).

Regardless of their reasons for wanting into the Hufflepuff dormitory, no one was admitting to anything. If they'd been honest with him, he might have been able to explain it away to Albus, but they'd clammed up and done the American muggle thing, pleading the fifth, as far as what they were doing and how they'd even gotten as far as they had.

His wife (he was worried that one day he'd wake up to discover this whole thing was a dream) was apparently in a mood when he heard her in what had become her office upon entering their rooms. She was talking to herself, but "bitch" and "hex her for glaring at me like that" were very clearly heard from where he stood.

Bitch and her would imply he was not the culprit responsible for her … mood. That gave him the strength to walk toward her office. He probably would have even if he thought he was responsible for her mood, but he would have approached her more cautiously. Erik had … warned him about her temper, but he wasn't sure anything could truly have prepared him for it. Fortunately, to this point, it hadn't been directed at him.

"Prey tell, Hermione, what is the meaning of this tirade?"

He almost turned around and left with the absolutely livid look on her face. He wasn't sure he'd ever seen her this upset.

"Meredith Daughtery!"

That hadn't been what he expected her to say. He assumed something happened at work. Someone mussed up her lists or something. So that someone they knew, that they dined with and spent holidays with, was the reason for this outburst was surprising.

"I'm sorry. What about her?"

"Well, you know I haven't been feeling well. I had a bit of a reprieve in my schedule, so decided to go get checked out, just to be sure it was truly nothing. Your Pepper Up is not helping."

"Oh?"

He hadn't been aware that she'd been that under the weather. He was typically up before her in the mornings, though. Most of the time he kissed his still sleeping wife goodbye while he went about starting his day. Not that she was lazy, he was naturally an earlier riser than she was.

"Yes, and if it isn't bad enough I'm there because I'm not feeling well. She happened to be training with the healer I saw."

Ah. He could sort of see where this was leading now.

"She glared daggers at me, Severus. I swear to God, if she could have hexed me she would have. I don't understand it. It's not as if you treated her any differently than anyone else!"

"Except you."

"Well, we're married so clearly except me."

"Hermione. Really. Just move on. You won't see her again I'm sure, until Easter, but we do not have to go to their home. We can go to your parents', or do our own thing."

"That's just it, Severus. I will have to see her again, at least most likely."

"Why?"

She looked at him then and she looked scared.

"Hermione, what's wrong?"

Merlin, was something wrong with her? Was she sick? Wouldn't that be ironic? If her older self traveled seventy years in the past to bypass a war only to have something happen to her younger self instead.

"I'm pregnant, Severus. So, unless I act like a jealous or crazy shrew who requests she not be part of my maternity care process, I will likely see her."

He stared at her for a moment.

"Say something!"

"Well, first of all, Poppy is perfectly capable of caring for you here. I wager she would fit you in around your work schedule. You know that. Second of all. Pregnant? Really?"

"Yes," she said with a sigh.

"And you are unhappy about this?" he asked cautiously.

They had agreed early in December to stop trying to go out of their way to prevent a pregnancy. She wasn't in any particular hurry, but she understood that he didn't want to be too much older than fifteen years from now or so before their children started at Hogwarts. Assuming they had two. He couldn't tell if her irritation and foul mood were exclusively aimed at Meredith Daughtery, or if the idea of being with child as the reason for her visit at all was what was bothering her.

"Of course not, I admit I wasn't expecting it to happen so fast. They said I'm like seven weeks along so that would put it around Christmas, ironically enough."

"Yes, well, that was a very enjoyable night."

"It was," she said, blushing and he chuckled. He had discovered all sorts of spots to leave love bites on her flesh. She had, enthusiastically, returned the favour.

"Are you feeling all right?"

"Yes, nothing abnormal. I just truly thought I had the flu. You know, it's winter and I spend my nights here in a drafty old castle."

"Would you like to go see Poppy? See if she's an option?"

"You don't think I'm being petty?"

"You're not being anything. This is our first pregnancy. I personally don't wish to take any chances that anything external might cause an issue. I will also be speaking to my contact at St. Mungo's."

"Severus."

"No, that is incredibly unprofessional, and they will not want to lose my services. I have done nothing to make her think about me in any manner but as her former professor and a friend of her great grandparents."

"Except marry me, only two years older and a year ahead of her."

"Yes, well, she is of no interest to me."

"I know, Severus. I do. She looked so … angry when that was the diagnosis. And then she got this gleam in her eye, as if she thought maybe you wouldn't be happy about it."

"I apologize."

She gave a soft huff. The look of anger was gone. So he'd weathered that storm.

"You can't help it, Severus. Let's go talk to Poppy, and if she's willing to see to my care then I see no reason why you need to speak to your contact at St. Mungo's. I don't want to be responsible for her getting in trouble. Maybe she had a bad day," she said with a shrug. "I mean, it's no excuse but still. She is ultimately ours. I can't do that to her."

He huffed. She was correct, of course. That didn't mean, blood or not, he would tolerate someone making the mother of his children uncomfortable.

"Very well. Did you eat?"

"No, I was so angry."

He smirked. "I was very glad when I heard bitch to realize that it was likely not directed at me. We'll get you something to eat when we return. I would like to confirm as well."

"You don't believe me?"

"Well, I just want to be sure. I'd hate to stop not-not trying for nothing."

"Oh, you can keep not-not trying for at least another seven months."

"Excellent."

They found Poppy in the infirmary. He hadn't spent as much time here as his older self had, but he had a few incidents, both at Hogwarts and at home prior to returning to Hogwarts, that resulted in her caring for him from time to time. She had always been kind and never … forced any issues as far as his homelife. These days he wondered if she'd be able to keep quiet or if she'd have to report … to someone. Albus? The Ministry? The muggle authorities since his parents lived there? He had no idea. It wasn't something he'd encountered.

"Well, this is a nice treat, Severus and Hermione."

"Hello Poppy."

"Hello Madam Pomfrey."

"Poppy, please, Hermione dear, you're no longer a student. Is everything all right? My potion stocks are fine."

"We are here to see if you would be willing to take on a maternity patient," Severus said.

"Oh oh!" she exclaimed. "Of course, I'd be delighted. You have confirmation?"

"I was at St. Mungo's today," Hermione said.

"Oh. Well, it is closer to the Ministry building. Are you sure you …"

"There is a former student who is in training who seems to have an … unhealthy interest in me. She made Hermione uncomfortable today during her initial visit. So I thought of you to avoid that from possibly happening again."

"Oh, well, Severus, I know you don't see yourself that way, but you had quite a few admirers over the years."

Severus stared at the healer. Had she truly just said that?

"Surely you jest."

"Of course not. It helped that you were the youngest staff member, so who else were teenaged girls with all those hormones pumping through their bodies going to focus on?"

"Students their own age."

"Yes, but they're not tall, dark, mysterious, and intelligent."

"I am not mysterious."

"Of course you are. People always wonder what you do in your lab, and why you seem to be by yourself so frequently."

"I see," he said, not realizing this was even a thing.

"I've made you uneasy. That wasn't my intent. I apologize. I assumed you knew. No matter. Hop on up, Hermione. Let me get some information, and we can go from here. If you change your mind, I understand. I haven't delivered many babies."

That wasn't to say witches never got pregnant while students at Hogwarts, but they usually returned home once it was discovered they were with child. Most did not return but instead finished their magical education privately with tutors and such.

"Oh yes, he is a healthy one," Poppy said as she cast the diagnostics over Hermione's abdomen. "About seven weeks, so late September sometime I'd say. You'll love living in the castle during that last trimester, Dear," Poppy said. "Severus knows which potions you'll need, of course. I'll see you once a month to start unless you have something you feel the need to see me about sooner. Obviously, you know where to find me."

"I do," she said.

Severus stared at the now clear spot above Hermione's abdomen where moments ago the blue line lit up indicating she was carrying a boy. His son. He wasn't sure he'd actually expected them to get pregnant. Not that he was upset. On the contrary. He just … Merlin, he had no idea what to say. Or do.

"Thank you, Poppy," Severus said finally.

"Thank you for entrusting me with your son."

"Thank you for understanding my preference."

"No need to thank me. I understand. You don't need that kind of preventable stress. This should be a happy time."

"Well, now I have to make doubly sure we get you a good dinner tonight," Severus said once she was ready to leave the infirmary.

"Please," she said.

"And you are truly okay?" he asked once they were in the hall outside of the infirmary.

"Yes, Poppy said I was."

"Yes, I heard her say that. I meant with as quickly as our not-not trying turned into trying."

"I am fine. I knew the chances, Severus. You didn't make me."

"All right," he said with a nod. He knew, realistically, he hadn't. That didn't mean he wasn't certain how she felt now that it was confirmed she was truly pregnant.

Then he did something very uncharacteristic for him. He slid his arms around her and picked her up, kissing her very thoroughly.

"I'm going to be a father," he whispered.

"Yes," she said, kissing him.

"I never imagined…"

"Not even since Christmas?"

"No, not really," he shrugged.

He set her down, sliding a hand along her jaw. He couldn't believe it. He truly never imagined. He'd never thought he'd be a good father. Clearly by Erik's success, he was wrong in thinking that was the case. Times were different now, too, then when that other version of himself had and raised children.

"It will be fine, Severus," she whispered. She reached up, cupping his face and brushed her thumbs under each eye. He hadn't even realized he had teared up. "You will be fine. I wouldn't have even thought of trying if I didn't believe that."

"I know," he said. He shifted his face a bit so that he could kiss the palm of first one hand and then the other. "You have made me very happy."

"Really?"

"Truly."

She breathed out deeply then.

"You were truly worried?"

"I was a little, yes. There is a difference between thought and actuality."

He glanced around the hallway, ensuring they were still alone. One good thing about this location, most people refrained from wandering here unless they needed Poppy's services. Seeing that they were, he slid his arms around her to tug her against him. His mouth found her ear, which he nipped before grazing it with his tongue. A gesture he found she was quite fond of him doing.

"If you like, we could delay dinner by an hour and I can demonstrate fully just how happy I am with this news," he murmured before nipping at her neck.

"An hour?"

"Yes," he murmured again. "I may take a good amount of that hour to use my mouth for eating things that while very enjoyable are not of much nutritional value."

"Mm, I like the sound of that. Might I do that, too?"

"At the same time?" he asked, feeling parts of him coming to attention very quickly at the thought. They'd engaged in that particular position only once, both had found it very arousing, but for whatever reason they hadn't again.

"Yes," she whispered.

"You can wait an hour?"

"For that? Yes."

He gasped softly at the sound of sincere enthusiasm in her voice. It still floored him that she was a very willing participant in their sex life. Erik had hinted more than once Marie was the same way. He could only assume his older self was as pleased by that unexpected turn of events as he was. Never had he ever expected to find a wife, let alone one who wanted to do more with him than what was required to reproduce.

"Well, let's go then so we can enjoy tasting one another very thoroughly."

"Is that all that you plan to do before dinner?"

"What are you asking me?" What else did she think he'd plan on doing?

She leaned up on her tiptoes then. "Do I get you finishing in my mouth?"

Oh! He cleared his throat softly and she giggled, pressing a kiss against his neck just under his ear.

"If you'd like."

"Yes."

"That is not a hardship."

"No, it certainly isn't. Let's go then."

It was a little more than an hour when Severus finally called for an elf to bring them dinner. He got to sit across from his wife wearing nothing but one of his muggle T-shirts, knowing that later he would very thoroughly shag her.

"I see that look in your eyes," she quipped as she tucked into her dinner. "Hurry up and eat so we can do what you're thinking."

"Gladly."

Return to Top

Part 50 | Part 52

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com