***Chapter Fifty-Three***
October 2000

"May I hold him?" Marie asked as she peered at the two-day old baby in his bassinet.

"Of course," Hermione said. As if she would say no, but she appreciated being asked. She couldn't believe how many people just assumed being pregnant was an unwritten invitation to help themselves to touch her stomach. Some people, like Harry, she didn't mind. Some people, like people at the Ministry, though. She hardly knew them! She would never think to do that!

Hermione watched as her older self slid her arms under Henrik, adjusting him in her arms and drawing him to her very much like someone who'd been holding newborns for many years. Hermione supposed she had. Nearly seventy-five of them. Odd to think.

She wondered sometimes if she would have said yes to the headmaster's proposition. She truly had no idea. She couldn't possibly compare her schooling years at Hogwarts to Marie's. It had been a war, and from the memories Marie shared with her, and Severus confirmed via the memories Erik had shared with him. Well, it didn't seem as if it was going very well.

She liked to think that she'd say yes, too. Regardless, this woman had said yes. She and Erik effected change for so many. Erik would say she did most of the work, and she likely had physically. Erik wasn't as bad as some people thought him to be, though. Did he hug his daughter Charlotte every time he saw her? No. She'd seen him, though, on the Hogwarts grounds before the start of this school year hug great, as well as the couple of great great, grandchildren there. It didn't matter either if they were boys or girls. And he didn't seem to care who was watching or might see.

It was one of the things she liked about him, and hoped transcended from him to the younger version of himself.

"Oh, you are precious, aren't you," Marie murmured in a tone that seemed to come naturally to women around newborns. Her mum had used the same tone. Marie adjusted the blanket swaddled around him before kissing the top of his head. "Let's hope you being ten days late doesn't mean you're going to be stubborn for your mummy and daddy all of your life."

Merlin, she hoped she was right. She thought he'd never come. Poppy, as well as her mum, Eileen, and Marie, all told her he'd come when he was ready. That didn't mean she wasn't ready to be done! Honestly, though, looking at him. Seeing how perfect he was, aside from the sleepless nights that she knew wouldn't end for months yet. Well, she could understand why this woman had five of them.

She didn't want five of them and, thankfully, neither did Severus.

Hermione glanced at Severus and then to Erik who seemed to be talking amongst themselves. Her mum was taking a walk outside, giving the four of them some privacy no doubt. Though, this was the first time she'd really had the chance to explore the property. So, maybe not too surprising. Erik must have realized she - or someone - was watching him because the conversation stopped. Severus looked at her. Erik looked at his wife. Erik shook his head as he no doubt noticed the tears in his wife's eyes. His attention shifted then from Marie to Severus to her.

"You are feeling well?" Erik asked.

"I am, thank you."

"Very good to hear. When my wife is done hogging him, and no doubt thinking that we could have squeezed one more in after Willem, I will take my turn."

He sounded almost … coy saying that. It was, dare she think it sweet.

Marie scoffed softly.

"Don't listen to Erik," she murmured. "He doesn't know what he's talking about. Your father, of course, will know exactly what he's talking about. All of the time. So pay attention, and listen to him, little Henrik."

Erik rolled his eyes with a soft snort.

They had talked for a long time about a name. She'd gotten rather panicked about four weeks ago when they still hadn't decided. Severus did not want his name involved in any way, shape, or form. They couldn't name him Erik. Well, they could. With the relationship Erik and Severus had for over twenty years now they had guessed no one would find it completely strange.

They both thought that it would be strange and better they not. It was bad enough they were going to have to tell their relatives that the Princes and Prinses were related to avoid bloodlines crossing. They didn't need anyone looking too closely at any of the four of them. Or their children.

Henrik was a compromise. Similar to Erik, so that the other man would know. His middle name was Donald after her dad.

The last couple of weeks, she assumed he was never going to come! Realistically, she knew that wasn't possible. Poppy had told her "any day now" so many times that Hermione wanted to scream. She had tried everything: walking, laughing, sex with lots of nipple stimulation (Severus hadn't minded this at all), and spicy food.

Nothing seemed to help. And the spicy food just made her more miserable by giving her heartburn on top of being forty plus weeks pregnant!

Marie was staying one last year at Hogwarts, using this current school year to train Eileen Snape to take over. Evidently, the headmaster had been very keen on the choice in Marie Prins' replacement. He hadn't even interviewed anyone else. No doubt the headmaster was also amused that Severus' mum was replacing, in reality, Severus' wife.

Selfishly, Hermione didn't want the woman to leave. She'd made such a difference in her life, literally and figuratively. She hadn't said that to anyone except Severus because she knew they were ready to do something beyond spend their time at Hogwarts. It wasn't exactly them leaving Hogwarts she had a hard time with. They were going to Arizona. Yes, there were portkeys and what not. It was still so far! For nearly ten years this woman had been very important to her.

She dozed on and off as Marie and Erik took turns holding Henrik, talking to Severus. Sometimes there were silences, which were welcome.

She felt okay, but wanted to sleep constantly. Her mum was staying for a week or so since Severus couldn't take his days off. He did have permission to come home each evening. Eventually, she and Henrik would join him at Hogwarts, but for now she was home.

For the most part, Erik and Marie no longer called this house home. Severus and Hermione bought it, and their older selves worked over the summer at packing and moving everything to the home they'd purchased near Tucson, Arizona. Christmas would be hosted here as it had been every year for decades. They planned to spend the bulk of their time in their quarters at Hogwarts otherwise, though.

And then when the year was up, they'd no longer have a home in Britain. Both mentioned buying or renting something as a possibility, but the truth was between this house and all of their children and grandchildren. Well, they had many choices of where to stay when they came back here. So, she wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Not to mention, she was certain the headmaster would ensure a room was prepared for them if needed.

Hermione found it a little overwhelming, but they'd had plenty of help moving and cleaning things. She agreed with Severus in keeping his home for a year or so to ensure that this house, this land, was what they truly wanted. What they'd do with it if they decided it wasn't what they wanted. Well, they'd cross that bridge when they got to it. Neither seemed to think that would happen.

She and Marie had gone over her years of notes. Severus and Erik laughed at both their wives reading and talking enraptured at the historical data Marie was letting her see. Not that anything in these papers was secret. There was nothing on them that was part of their secret. It was helpful to see her plans written down year by year, especially as the number residing at the house dwindled to more in line with how many would be here for them. Feeding eleven versus three was vastly different.

The elves currently on staff had all been assured by not just Marie and Erik but Albus that they would be in good hands with Severus and Hermione, so none chose to leave. Hermione had helped them some over the summers and would start to again once she was in physical shape to do so.

She woke suddenly in Severus' arms and she opened her eyes looking at him. She was a little confused. It took her a moment to focus on him, that he was carrying her.

"I realize that you are tired, and am glad to see you rest. You know I worry you are not enough, but he needs sustenance. I cannot provide that for him."

"Oh," she said. "Where is he?"

"Marie brought him up to the nursery while I saw to you."

"Mm. Are they leaving then?"

"They are."

"I'm sorry I fell asleep."

"You don't need to apologize. They understand, and both were more than happy to hold him."

"I noticed that. I am a little surprised he was so … open about wanting to."

He tilted his head a bit at that, as if mulling that over.

"I'm not. We did something he did not," he whispered. "I suspect that while he's not upset, that means something to him."

"I know," she said, knowing he was referring to the fact that their first born was a son.

They both knew that Erik did not consider Thomas any less of his son than Philip, Graham, or Willem. The fact remained, the first child he and Marie produced was a girl, and in the magical world there was a bit of import placed on that. Not that Erik ever seemed disappointed.

"I would not have been disappointed either if Henrik had been a girl."

"I know," she said again. "That is one thing you both have in common."

"This is true. I could give a rat's ass about who my heir is."

"Do you love him?" she asked.

"Of course I do. I loved him from the first moment I felt him kick." He bent his head down a bit to kiss her. "In truth," he whispered. "I loved him from the moment Poppy confirmed you were pregnant. It was just until I felt him kick, before that moment, I didn't totally believe it was happening."

"Me, too," she whispered.

***

It was the Saturday after Christmas when Marie held onto Henrik as if she didn't want to let go that Hermione knew. He'd, of course, been too little to care about presents or Santa. He was the youngest baby (though there were three others there) so was fawned over by many.

"You're leaving," Hermione said softly, her eyes on her older self. She wasn't sure how she knew, but she did.

"We are," she said and Hermione knew Marie was fighting back tears. "Eileen has taken to the librarian position so well that I just can't justify staying another six months. Albus would pay me, so that's not it and while I can't deny that's slightly disappointing, Erik says that it's time. I admit, a few months away from a Scottish winter isn't an abhorrent idea. I took that as a sign it is time to go."

"Do Mum and Dad know?"

"I'm going to stop and see them this week."

"Good," she said, choking back tears herself.

Merlin.

She knew it was going to happen. She knew it was coming. She assumed, though. She didn't know what she assumed. That it wouldn't seem so permanent. As if a literal part of her was going to be thousands of miles away from now on. It felt exactly like that, though.

Severus and Erik were conveniently missing from this conversation. Hermione stood then, and took Henrik from Marie's arms. Her older self looked at her confused, an odd look on this woman's face. Very little confused her. Hermione placedhim in the playpen that was set up in this room. She moved to sit on the couch then next to her older self.

"I'm going to miss you," she said, resting her head on Marie's shoulder. She doubted anyone could understand their relationship. The bond they shared. Erik and Severus, but it wasn't quite the same. Not entirely different, just not completely the same.

"Oh, my dear, no more than I'm going to miss you. It has been such a delight watching you grow from that girl who was crying in my library almost ten years ago." Hermione laced her fingers through Marie's hand closest to her. "I'm so proud of you. I know it wasn't easy, but you found your way to Harry anyway. That wasn't my goal, I did nothing to push either of you to that end. He is a good friend, though. Loyal. And, as our husbands would say, not a dunderhead. And you found your footing. I have no idea what career I might have gone for, honestly. I don't know if I would have had a career, truth be told."

"You're not mad I'm not friends with Ron?"

"Mad? No. The relationship I had with Harry was always different. He has his sisters, I realize, in this time, but he obviously didn't when I knew him. It was your life to do what you wanted with it. If Severus hadn't been your choice, I wouldn't have been upset at that either. I'm just glad that Harry was a constant." She squeezed the hand Hermione was holding and gestured to Henrik with the other. "And look at you."

"I was thinking about that."

"What?"

"Severus and I talked about what he might call you."

"Mm," Marie said, sniffling softly. Hermione was, too, for that matter.

"I was thinking Auntie and Uncle."

"Oh, Hermione, we're too old…"

"And yet, Rose still calls Charlotte, Philip, Graham, and Willem aunt and uncle."

"You are right. Of course. He can call us whatever you wish him to. And you know we'll be here in 2012, to see him off to Hogwarts. If you'll have us."

"Absolutely." She didn't even need to consult Severus on what his answer would be on that. No doubt, she'd be more of a wreck than Severus was about him starting school.

"Oh Hermione," she whispered. "Will you do me one favour?"

"If I can."

"Say our name," she murmured.

Hermione lifted her head from her older self's shoulder, unsure what she was asking.

"Hermione?"

"The whole thing."

"Hermione Jean Snape."

"Yes, that," she said. "He called me that once, but that has never been my name. So odd."

It was odd. Did it bother her?

"I'm sorry."

"Why are you apologizing to me?"

She shrugged. "I kind of stole it."

"You did no such thing. We aren't those people anymore. I just get whimsical sometimes."

"So I can expect that in about seventy-five years then?"

"I suppose you can."

"I hope we do your house justice."

"It's not our house anymore. It's yours."

"You did so much for us."

"Nonsense," Marie said. "You deserved it. We worked hard to get here. We worked hard to get you here."

"Hermione," she whispered.

"Mm?"

"I love you."

"Oh," Marie said, reaching out to hug her. Hermione went willingly. "I love you, too, so very much. Nothing will ever change that."

"I know. Same. They left us alone on purpose, didn't they?"

"Yes. Erik told Severus last night."

"What?"

"Don't get mad at him. He wanted to find out how Severus thought you might react, and he wanted to ensure Severus knew so that he could be prepared for you to be upset."

"Oh."

She smiled slightly, feeling like she was blubbering like a fool.

"I'm kind of glad he was the one who taught me how to cast the patronus."

"I couldn't. You would have seen my swan…"

"I know. I just assumed. I don't know. You're smart, but just thought you didn't want to teach me something I maybe shouldn't have known yet."

"We always wanted to know everything."

Hermione laughed softly. "We have."

"When are you leaving?" she asked after a moment of silence.

"Next Monday. We're going to spend nights at each of the kids' houses, so we really won't be leaving for at least two weeks, but then that's it."

"And what will they all do? Your house in Arizona isn't like this one you said."

"No, but it should be able to accommodate a good many of them. We're actually doing things in reverse. The main house has eight bedrooms. We plan to keep that closed up, though, and use the smaller one - it's referred to there as a casita, or guest house. It'll be more than enough for the two of us, and if one or two wanted to come see us. Christmas and Easter, though, we're hoping everyone will make their way to us. We'll open up the main house for a week or two. We doubt anyone will complain about coming to Arizona for a couple of weeks in December."

"No," Hermione said.

"I'm glad Erik didn't think I was ridiculous for wanting to stay as long as I did."

"He wanted to go sooner?"

"He did. Our second summer away he was ready, I think. He probably would have talked me into it if you hadn't told us you were pregnant when you did."

"Really?"

"I very much wanted to see you experience that. To see Mum become a grandma."

Their mum was thrilled to be a grandma. Did she think maybe it happened sooner than she might have liked? Probably, but they weren't going to rush out to have a second one anytime soon. They both agreed they could talk about a brother or sister for Henrik in a few years. She just knew he preferred not to be sixty when his children started at Hogwarts.

"I'm glad you were here."

"Me, too."

*****

"Did you know Erik wanted to leave before now?" she asked later in bed when Henrik was sleeping. He'd be awake in a couple of hours. She should be sleeping, too, as a result of Henrik's demands. Her mind was spinning, though.

"I did," he admitted. "He didn't tell me that they were leaving on a particular date or anything, but he said they were staying this past year so that Marie could see your mum with you pregnant, and Henrik."

"I've never stopped to think about the things like that she missed out on."

"Nor did I until Erik mentioned it. Evidently, she was rather … sad we married the way we did. That she missed out on seeing that."

"She never said anything."

"I think she thought it was silly, and didn't want us to feel bad. He told me because he felt bad that he hadn't realized she would be bothered."

"And doesn't have anyone else he can confide in."

"Exactly."

"I get it. That says a lot that he felt bad."

"It does," he said, grazing her head with a kiss. "Sleep, Love."

"I know," she whispered. "Have you ever been to Arizona?"

He chuckled. "No, but I suspect that's going to change."

"Mm hmm," she agreed.

"Hermione," he whispered.

"Hmm?" She gave a soft laugh. "Didn't you just tell me to sleep?"

"I did, but I think I might turn in my notice at Hogwarts."

"You're going to invest in that building in Diagon Alley?" she asked. She knew which one. He and Erik had looked at it several times over the years. Initially, she thought Erik was going to open up a business there, but he never had. Now she wondered if it was for Severus all along. And that "one day" when he no longer wished to stay secluded away at Hogwarts most of the year.

Erik and Marie had a reason to be there. They did not.

"Whatever you need to do, but talk to Albus first."

"About?"

"Don't tell anyone, but I may or may not have it on good authority that there might be an opening for headmaster sooner rather than later."

"You don't say?"

"Yes. Someone may or may not have asked me if a certain someone I'm pretty familiar with might be interested."

"And you said nothing?"

"I was asked not to, and I don't want to get fired. Or for the Minister for Magic to think I'm untrustworthy."

He scoffed slightly.

"Are you mad?"

"No. Interesting. I will talk with him then before making any drastic decisions."

"Would you want the job?"

"Oddly, I think that I might."

"I don't find that so odd. You take education and magic very seriously."

"Thank you. Now. Sleep. Nothing is going to be decided tonight."

"Mm, night."

He kissed her temple, smoothing back some hair. "That would be a lot more satisfactory hearing you say if I didn't know you were going to get up in about three hours."

She stifled a yawn, turning onto her side and settling her head against his chest. "You'll keep me warm until then."

"Absolutely."

Return to Top

Part 52 | Part 54

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com