***Chapter Forty-Five***
October 31, 1998

"Last year I got Catwoman and every wizard in the castle, alive or not, realizing Hermione Granger is a rather fetching witch," Severus said to Erik by the punchbowl in the great hall. "This year I get, I don't even know who that is."

"I do," his mentor and older self said. He sounded amused. Great. Just what he wanted. Erik laughing at him.

"Oh?" Was it something he should know? He didn't, so hopefully Erik would clue him in so he didn't look like a clueless dolt to her. He didn't like that.

Erik chuckled, as if knowing what he was just thinking. Maybe he did. "She's the female Arabian dancer from The Nutcracker ."

"It is a show?"

"You really need to get out more, Severus. It's a ballet, yes. Marie and I have seen it a few times over the years with the children and grandchildren."

He filed that away. He'd never had occasion to see a ballet. If she was dressed as a character from this one, that must mean she liked it. Right? So, it would be something he could suggest they take in together.

"Either way, I swear she's trying to kill me."

His older self chuckled again. "There is a difference this year from years past, Severus."

"What is that?" He was still here as chaperone, so it wasn't that different.

"She is no longer a student. She is here as your date tonight. Go claim a dance. Claim two if you're feeling particularly daring. You are allowed, and then I wager many of those sixth and seventh years won't be looking at her with quite as much lust in their eyes."

"I suppose you are right. Why are you here anyway?" he asked.

His older self sighed, almost sounding resolute. "My wife enjoys the Halloween ball."

"Are you telling me I'm going to have to suffer through seventy years of these things?"

Erik tilted his head back then and gave a hearty laugh. Severus wasn't sure he found it very funny.

"Such are the sacrifices, but I assure you she is worth it, Severus."

"Oh, I already know that she is."

"Go dance with our witch."

Severus pushed away from the wall and approached Hermione who was talking with a few seventh year students, Ginevra Weasley and Luna Lovegood among them.

"Good evening," he said to the small group.

"Happy Halloween, Professor Snape," came from a chorus of his students.

"May I claim a spot on your card, Miss Granger? I understand you are an Arabian dancer."

She looked surprised. He couldn't blame her. He'd been standing by the punchbowl, glowering for over an hour. She wasn't here as a student so, as Erik had just pointed out, he was free to dance with her. He wasn't sure why it hadn't dawned on him until Erik said it. He had, in fact, invited her to come. (Not that she needed an invitation from him to do so.) He was just so used to not having anyone to dance with.

"I am, and you may," she said, taking his offered hand.

"You look lovely," he said once they were on the dance floor.

"Thank you."

"I'm not sure which costume I prefer, last year's or this."

"Oh?" "she said.

"This one shows … more skin, but last year's was more form-fitting."

"Mm, yes."

He leaned in, sliding his mouth near her ear. "I want to find out what you are wearing underneath those pants."

"You have to wait until later."

"I realize this. Just telling you that is where my mind is."

"Mine, too, I assure you."

"You can stay tonight?"

"I can," she said.

She had started in the Ministry Archives about a month ago. She was still living with her parents for now, but they seemed to be rather … lenient with her as far as her comings and goings. He knew they weren't yet aware of their relationship. They were aware there was someone, just not who he was. He was okay with that. For now. Eventually it would need to change. They'd talked about it, so he knew she wasn't hiding him (or them) or embarrassed.

"I have permission to miss breakfast," he murmured.

"Do you?" She sounded hopeful. He liked that sound in her voice. He hadn't seen her in weeks. The start of the school year. Her starting a new job. Them figuring out a schedule and how to work a relationship into it. Him figuring out a schedule and how to do that, really. She wasn't the one living in a remote Scottish castle.

He likely wouldn't have chosen to have their first time be right before they went weeks without seeing one another, but she had not left Hogwarts the next day unsatisfied. Or so it seemed anyway.

"I may have mentioned to Albus I have other, more pressing, matters to see to in the morning."

"That would be?"

"Ravishing you until you cry mercy."

"Mm, we both know that's not going to happen," she said, and her eyes got a dark glint to them he liked there. It meant she was thinking about the baser things they could do together later. As soon as he was done acting as chaperone here tonight anyway.

"That is true, but it will be a fun thing to attempt."

"For both of us."

"Exactly."

"I see how it is."

"How was your week, by the way?"

"It was fine. Busy. I actually have to pay a visit to Draco."

"Malfoy? Oh?" As if there was anyone else they knew with the name Draco.

"Yes. There are some documents that his family has the originals of. Knowing I'm friends with him, some at the Ministry thought it would pave the way to my being allowed to see them to make the magical copies we want."

"I see. That's not a bad way of thinking."

"Right? Is it weird to you at all that he's just another former student to you?"

"As opposed to my godson, you mean?"

"Yes, that."

"Not particularly. I like to think if Remus marries…"

"I suppose. Well, we need to get him meeting someone then, yeah?"

"You have ideas?"

"No one off the top of my head. Surely Lily…"

"I don't see many women in with the three of them."

"I suppose," she said, nibbling on her lower lip.

"It's okay. He is curious about what I did with my time this summer."

"Oh?"

"Yes, usually when I give him the wolfsbane we have time to catch up. We didn't really over the summer. He came by my home a few times, and I was absent."

"And you came right to me?"

"Two months in a row."

"My goodness. I must be doing something right then."

"You are indeed."

"Flattering, but seriously, Severus. Please don't let me come in between you and your friends."

"Friend. Singular. There is but one really. I have the next ten months to squeeze you into my schedule. I took advantage of having unlimited access to you. It was an easy choice, and one I don't think Remus would blame me for."

"Okay."

"I appreciate your concern, and will formally introduce you sooner rather than later. I know he met you at last year's Halloween festivities, but I couldn't introduce you to him properly. Now I do think I've monopolized enough of your time, Miss Arabian Dancer." He drew away then, bowing politely over her hand.

"I look forward to the ravishing later."

"No more than I do."



"So?" Marie said as they watched Severus return to his spot by the punchbowl.

"You did well, Madam Wife."

"Thank you," she said, blushing.

He leaned in then, finding her ear. "And I'd bet a lot of galleons that he's no longer inexperienced."

"Really?" she said, glancing between Severus and Hermione. "You can tell that?" There was a slight pout to her mouth, a bit miffed she couldn't tell. She really couldn't.

"I remember how he looked at her last year. He wanted to know very badly what was under that Catwoman costume, and was not pleased I danced with her, knowing what was underneath the costume."

"So did many others," she pointed out. Valid.

"Those many others still look at her that way tonight. He does not."

"Oh," she said. "Astute observation, Husband."

"Thank you."

"And have you seen her at the Ministry?"

"I have bumped into her a time or two."

Erik was helping train the aurors. How he'd been roped into it, she wasn't actually sure, but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Evidently, someone thought he might be bored at home putzing around in his potions garden and lab all day. She knew that he'd taken it upon himself to head to the Archives a couple of times to check on her wellbeing.

"And?"

"She seems fine. It's only been a few weeks, Love. Give her time."

"I know, but I haven't heard from her since we saw her the Saturday before classes started. They didn't go to the Three Broomsticks with us."

"Calm down. She's fine. She's just busy, and not here anymore to sit in your library."

"I know." She sounded incredibly needy. It was odd that she was more … upset about her being gone from Hogwarts than she'd felt about any of the grandchildren. She wouldn't say her children, especially their baby Willem. This was different, though. She hadn't expected to feel at all distraught with her absence.

"You miss her."

"I do," she said, eyeing her younger self who was talking to some sixth and seventh year Gryffindors she knew.

"She'll be fine. The archivist position was a safe one. She may grow bored with it and go elsewhere, but she, like you, is good with that sort of thing."

"I know."

"Good. Now, may I have this dance?"

"I thought you'd never ask, Master Prins."

"I was just waiting for the right moment, Madam Prins."

Return to Top

Part 44 | Part 46

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com