***Chapter Forty-Six***
December 25, 1998

"I thought I might find you in here," she said when she found Severus in their room.

No one but Erik and Marie knew that he'd spent the night last night and was planning on it tonight, too. Because of who they were, their older selves allowed them to share. Hermione knew Severus found that amusing. She did, too, kind of, but she doubted their grandkids would.

She was wearing the gold necklace with a sapphire pendant he'd given her last night. She loved it, probably more than the lion's head stick pin she'd given to him years ago now. He still wore it proudly, she noticed. This year she'd given him an IOU for next summer for a portkey to wherever he wanted to go ingredient collecting for a week. She was hoping for Venezuela, but she'd go wherever he wanted to go.

"Is it just the four of us?"

She smirked, getting close to him so she could kiss the top of his head. He sounded so put out. She got it.

"Yes."

"Thank God."

"Why?"

"I don't know. It has nothing to do with them. I don't like … lying."

"We're not lying , Severus. Their family would not understand why we're allowed to sleep in the same room not married…"

"I know. I just feel like a lecherous old man, knowing that we are doing just that."

"Oh come on," she said. "Look at them, Severus. Who even pays attention to how much older than her he is?"

"I'm not sure that helps."

"Just treat me well, Severus, so that people look at us the way so many have looked at them, and we'll be fine."

"I did usually, always would be a lie, admire that about them," he admitted softly.

"Me, too. They're very smitten with one another. If you still look at me like that seventy-two years from now I'll consider us a success."

"What about seventy-three years from now?"

She slid her arms around him, knowing he wasn't going to complain about his chin resting at her breasts. "I may just be tired of it all in seventy-three."

"You're hilarious."

"I know I am. I learned it from you."

"I didn't mean to be in a foul mood."

"I get it. We're not lying, exactly. We just didn't tell the whole story. They want us here. The family is used to me being here, for certain, and you the past couple of years."

"I know," he said, drawing one of her hands out from around his neck to kiss her wrist. "What would you like to do for New Year's?"

"Oh, I don't know. Why?"

"Let's go and do something."

"Really?"

"Of course, really. Do I sound insincere?"

"No, I just hadn't thought about it. What did you have in mind?"

"Mm, Australia?"

"Really?" she said, knowing she sounded like one of those squealing girls right now, but she couldn't help it.

"I've heard Sydney does a great celebration."

"Will we be able to get a portkey and a room?"

"I will check into it tomorrow."

"I'm game then."

"Leave Thursday, come back Sunday?"

"Are you sure you want days with me?"

"I am absolutely positive I want days with you." She liked that answer. A lot. It made her practically giddy that he admitted it so willingly.

"Do you like how my necklace looks?"

"I'm only sorry the chain portion isn't just a touch longer."

"Why?" She thought it was perfect.

"A little lower and it would nestle very nicely in between your breasts and that would be fun to toy with when I'm kissing them."

"I see, my dirty minded wizard. I imagine you can come up with some sort of charm to make it that way when you want it to be so."

"Hmm, now that you mention it. I do know a thing or two about magic."

"You don't say?"

"You on a bed with nothing on but it."

"Anytime."

"You astound me at times."

"Only at times?"

"I keep waiting for you to say no."

"You've yet to suggest something I've wanted to say no to."

"Your older self may have."

"Oh?"

He chuckled then, and she wondered what he was about to say. "Erik told me that if they'd been younger in 1981…"

"Oh my, the three of you?"

"That was the implication, yes."

"Mm, two of you? I can see where she might find that appealing."

"One of me isn't sufficient?"

"Oh no, you definitely are. I have no complaints, and I know you know that. I can't have you inside of me and suck on you at the same time."

"No, you certainly cannot. There are … things that could simulate my being inside of you if that appeals to you."

"Hmm, maybe at some point in time. Did you tell me that so I wouldn't be afraid to tell you that I have a dirty mind?"

"Mayhaps. Or I just thought you'd find it amusing."

"Yes, well, as long as it was 1981 when she thought it."

"Now you know how I felt about you dancing with him last Halloween."

"Well, you more than made up for it this year. Luna Lovegood was going to ask you to dance after we were through."

"You're joking?"

"No, she was impressed with the way you moved, she said."

"I see."

"She also seems to know about us."

"Of course she does. I will not be surprised if she doesn't replace Firenze when she's ready."

"I hadn't thought of that."

"He does it because Albus has no other viable option. Luna would be one, so yes, really."

"Interesting."

"What else did she say?"

"Nothing, really. Wished us well."

"I wonder exactly what she knows."

"She hasn't said, and one thing I've learned about her is that she wouldn't tell," Hermione said.

"I agree. I don't think she'd want to risk anyone doing something to change things again."

"Agreed. Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes. I didn't mean to be even more moody than usual. It's just, I feel like an errant child who's been caught breaking the rules."

"We'll get there. Maybe next year we don't have to stay here? I admit I like to, it's nice to help in the kitchen and stuff, but I know she lets me to be nice. She doesn't need the help because she's crazily organized."

"Says you who is already working on changing the way items are filed at the Ministry."

"Well, yes, because it doesn't make sense the way they do it now…" She huffed. "You're teasing me."

"I was."

"Really, Severus, it has nothing to do with us. We'd probably do the same thing, you know? You can't tell your children one thing and not expect them to ask questions when you let someone else do the opposite."

"True."

"And I know they are aware you spent time with me here while they were gone."

"Yes. It's just truly overwhelming at times. There are so many of them, and they all talk and joke as if …"

"They love and get along with one another."

"Yes!" He shook his head. "I have Christmas dinner with the Minister for Magic and for a few hours he's just a man I call Tom."

"Who we have knowledge about only two others do."

"Yes. And yet I haven't even met your parents."

"Oh. Did you want to? I mean, it hasn't been intentional. I have been getting used to a job and budgeting and such. I'd really rather not live with my parents forever, but I also want to know what I can afford realistically. It's not like I deliberately keep them from you."

"I know that, and that's just it. I'm not sure if I want to or not. He never had to meet them. So I have no idea if they'll like me, or call the authorities on me."

"Ah. They're not going to call the authorities on you. They trust me more than that. And we have time, Severus. I'm in no hurry. We're included here because they like us. Nothing more. So, tell me more about these New Year's Eve plans…"

"Well, it is summer there as I'm sure you're already aware."

"I am."

She turned her head to look as Severus looked away from her to the door, seeing her older self closing the door behind them with a slight nod.

"Sometimes it's very disconcerting seeing your eyes in another body looking at me," he murmured.

"Tell me about it."

Return to Top

Part 45 | Part 47

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com