***Chapter Forty-Four***
August 1998

"Does it feel as weird to you as it does me to be here?" he asked softly against her ear, clearly meant only for her to hear.

"It does," she said with a nod.

It was immensely weird to look at these several dozens of people, who were obviously close and wanted to be together like this, and realize that these people were a part of her. She, a version of her, had created all of this. It was more than just a little bit overwhelming. (She chose not to name the feeling that washed over her that she was related to Meredith Daughtery. And how the other witch would react to that bit of news.)

It was immensely humbling.

And made her feel incredibly proud. Proud they'd succeeded. Proud they'd kept their secret all of these years. Proud they did more than just go through the motions of raising Thomas Prins.

And made her curious. And her heart hammer in her chest because Merlin, she'd never really thought of a future. A family. 

Did her Severus expect … this? It was a little too soon to ask such a question, but she would be curious to know.

It was the last Saturday of the summer. The entire Prins family, including the Harrisons, was seated by the lake as usual. Severus, Hermione, and Eileen were there as well.

Severus had begun talking to his mum more frequently this summer. Whether that was because of her, she had no idea, but she liked that he no longer felt estranged from her.

"Same," he murmured. "Though I find myself thinking something very different this year than I have observing them in years' past."

"Oh?"

He leaned even closer toward her then. "I usually grow immensely curious how all of this can come from two people. I still am, but today I find myself wondering if one day our children will be here, too. Starting our own tradition."

"Oh," she said, knowing she was blushing profusely.

He chuckled. No doubt his purpose had been to make her blush.

"That would be interesting, wouldn't it," she said.

"It would," he said and she settled her hand into his.

There were evidently only two great grandchildren starting Hogwarts this coming school year (three would be done this school year). She had no idea how they kept track, but it sounded as if they'd start increasing in numbers again in the next four or five years. And there were still grandchildren having babies. And then the ones she was going to school with who would have some, too, presumably.

No one seemed to give her being with Severus a second thought. Not even his mother. It was kind of strange because other than the movie and Christmas dinner, Severus wasn't exactly a known quantity at family gatherings.

Marie and Erik had gotten back earlier this week, so Hermione was back at home. The six weeks had been rather nice to be honest. She'd assumed being in a big old house by herself would be too much for her, but Severus seemed to show up at some point every evening and stayed until it was clear one or both of them was tired.

More than once she'd thought to ask him to stay, but she'd never given voice to the request and he hadn't pushed. It was admittedly nice to spend a portion of every day with him for six weeks with no one else around. And no pressure. They'd gone to a movie or two and had dinner out a time or two, but primarily it was the two of them.

He seemed to think it was just as important as she did that they start slowly, get to know one another without Hogwarts as a backdrop. She was glad for that at any rate. Six weeks together had been nice. She thought he was just as concerned about that as she was.

He had yet to meet her parents. It was more that she didn't plan on living with them forever, so it seemed … odd to make him this early into things. She presumed once she got a job, which she was narrowing down from the offers she'd received, that she'd be able to find a flat and go on about building her life in the magical world. She was excited, if she wasn't a bit overwhelmed.

Some of the job offers were … insanely more than she thought she'd get.

She'd had a few interviews already, for positions that she wasn't particularly interested in. She'd done it, though, so when she got to one she did want, she would feel more comfortable interviewing and have a better idea what to expect.

That came in handy, as she finally had one coming up this next week for the Archives. Severus had sent her some flowers the day of her first interview, wishing her luck, despite knowing it wasn't a job she was truly interested in accepting.

Of course, if she got no other actual offers, well she'd have to pick from those that did want her.

"They're going to go to the Three Broomsticks. I think I would prefer some solitude with you instead," he said as the morning wound down and the group started to get up and get their things together.

"Oh," she said. She … liked the sound of that. A lot. Him saying it especially.

"I do not know when I will see you next. Classes start Tuesday…"

She blushed a bit at that. He wasn't the most … romantic person, but in his own way he'd just admitted he would miss her. They'd spent part of every day together for six weeks. Never mind seeing one another for months at a time for the past seven years. It was going to be strange for her, too, not to see him. Have dinner with him. Play games with him. Go for walks with him.

Oddly (or maybe not), it was not strange to not be in his classroom anymore.

"I understand. What did you have in mind?"

"Lunch in my quarters?"

Yes," she said softly, knowing she was blushing more deeply now.

Damn it. Why did she do that? He wasn't suggesting anything, but she kind of wanted him to. Especially now that they were more comfortable with one another. She never would have imagined him whispering to her as he just had in front of others. Thus the blushing.

They stood then, saying their goodbyes. She noticed his mum was the last one he said goodbye to, and she thought she heard the promise of an exchange of letters. She wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but he stood close enough that it was hard not to hear some of the conversation.

They stopped and both turned, watching the group of them as they walked toward the gates that would take them to Hogsmeade. His mum would not join them there, so would make her way home from the gates.

"I'm glad they're so accepting," she said. It was odd. She came from a small family, and her grandparents couldn't agree to allow her parents to split time between them on holidays. Here was this large group who never seemed to have that problem. "Of us being here, being at Christmas dinner, your mum being here."

"As I am. I think she knows our relationship will take time as much as she may wish it did not. I think she senses his … life prior to this one was worse."

"You think she feels guilty."

"I do. He left for Hogwarts expecting a reprieve, an opportunity, and did not find that. I lost Lily for a while, but gained Remus. I did get the reprieve from my parents I sought. I got him, encouraging me to excel, to push me to meet his expectations, and to pursue an apprenticeship."

"I'm glad you see it that way."

"I didn't always."

"I can understand that," she said, squeezing his hand. "So, I finally get to see my head of house's quarters, huh?"

"This has been a curiosity of yours?"

"Well, you know me, I'm curious about everything."

"Indeed," he whispered.

"And there are rumours, you know, because you know the dungeons as well as you do."

"From teaching in them and, prior to that, spending hours in them with Erik!"

"Yes, well, you know, coffins, chains on the wall, and so on."

"Are you going to tell people what you see?"

"Am I going to see chains on the wall?"

He snorted. "No, I am not a sadist or a masochist. Except, I suppose, being professor to an assortment of dunderheads the past eighteen years."

"So I can tell them whatever I want?" she asked. "I could make a pretty penny with that inside information with the Daily Prophet ."

"You're fortunate I know that you're not that type of person."

"You're fortunate that I am a private person, the same as you are."

"You wouldn't be wrong."

She perused his bookshelves while he saw to lunch for them.

"Should I be worried you're going to use me for my book collection."

"Yes, most definitely," she said with a light laugh. "Between you and Marie…"

"Erik has quite a few amassed as well."

"Colour me surprised."

"Some he bought two of, knowing that it would be difficult to find now and that I'd want my own copy."

"That was very thoughtful of him."

"It was," he agreed.

They ate, discussing her upcoming interview and his school year.

It was nice, odd to be at Hogwarts in this capacity. She'd leave today and had no idea when she'd be back. This wasn't her home away from home any longer. It was … odd.

She wondered how Marie felt her first time here, no longer a student but knowing that she still should have been. Having to pretend to be pregnant. That must have been so odd. And a little scary. What if someone had found out? Things could have gone pear shaped before they even really began, so they would have traveled seventy years into the past for nothing!

She supposed there was nothing really stopping them from taking Thomas and going to Timbuktu with him if they really felt as if they wouldn't be welcome in wizarding Britain.

"So, do I get to see the rest?" she asked.

"Absolutely."

"No coffins or anything dangerous in sight. I'm suspiciously disappointed."

"I'm not dangerous enough for you?"

"Are you trying to frighten me?"

"Hardly."

"Then you'll do fine."

She stepped up to him then and went to her tiptoes to kiss him. They'd gotten much better at this over the six weeks she housesat. At first he'd been obviously uncertain. She wasn't swimming in experience, contrary to what image he may have of her in his mind after finding her snogging Viktor. That hadn't been the first or only time with him, but it wasn't her usual behaviour either.

"What's on your schedule for the rest of the day then?" This was asked followed by a kiss to his jaw. Something he seemed to like. She hadn't gotten to the point of thinking of kissing anything of Viktor's but his mouth so it was new to her.

"Brewing, lesson plans."

"I do have to go home for a little while. I told Mum and Dad I wouldn't be long. Could I come back and help you?"

"You want to help me?"

"It's time with you, so yes. I'll take it how I can get it now."

"You drive a hard bargain, my witch, but yes. I will talk to Albus about getting you floo access to my office. I'm not sure I'd like to test you having access already. Clearly, he already knows that you should."

"Oh my. Your office. That is incredibly trusting. Are you sure you're ready for that step?"

"Were you always so sassy?"

"Yup," she said.

"How did I miss this personality trait?"

"Selective observation? I don't know."

"I'll walk you to the gates. If you wish me to meet you there when you arrive, send your patronus. Otherwise, you know the way to my lab."

"Do you want any muggle treats?"

"Just the muggleborn witch in front of me."

"Mm, that was actually kind of nice, Severus."

"Only kind of? I was going for flattery."

She laughed softly, kissing his jaw again. Another kiss a bit lower along his neck. "You succeeded. Aside from me."

"No, that is all I need, I assure you."

He leaned in, kissing her again, and she felt her toes practically curl at the gesture. He hadn't kissed her first until the last week or so. When he did, it made her positively giddy. She knew he liked kissing her, sensing he just wasn't comfortable initiating.

He walked her to the gates.

"See you soon," she said.

"I'll be here."

"You're not going to hide?"

"Hardly."

"Excellent."

She waved then. Merlin help her, he returned the wave with one of his own before she apparated to her house. She'd bet Harry would pay good money to see Severus Snape waving.



Severus ate dinner at his desk. He had no idea what time Hermione would return, as he didn't know what her parents' expectations of her were for the day.

It was probably eight o'clock when her beautiful swan entered his office. It didn't say anything, but stood obviously waiting for him to follow. So he got up from his desk and did exactly that. It led him through the familiar halls of Hogwarts to the door leading to his quarters that no one should have access to.

Except, of course, she would. He shook his head at that realization, nodding in thanks to the swan before she sleekly floated off. He entered then.

"Hermione," he called out.

No answer.

He saw a pair of heels on the floor by the sofa. They hadn't been there earlier, and she hadn't been wearing heels this morning either. Next he spotted a stocking. He swallowed as he spotted a second one. He saw a top as he got to his chambers. Her skirt was on the floor next to the bed. He didn't see a bra or knickers, so assumed those were still in place.

"You lost some things," he whispered.

"Mm, that depends on your perspective I guess."

"And yours would be?"

"I know exactly where they are, so they're not lost."

"Herm…."

"It's Saturday night, Severus. I know you're prepared for the new term. Your witch is practically naked in your bed. Join her."

"Yes, well," he said, clearing his throat slightly. He had not been expecting this. Did she think he expected this? "I don't think I'm appropriately attired…"

"Fix it, Severus!"

He shook his head slightly and went about doing just that, vanishing everything but his boxers as he moved toward the bed. Toward her. Wandlessly, he drew the covers away, staring most impolitely at the vision that was waiting for him in his bed.

"You're staring," she said, sounding shy and uncertain.

"You are truly lovely," he said.

"So are you," she said.

He snorted. "Kind of you to say so."

"I mean it. I like what I see." Her eyes drifted to his boxers and he cleared his throat. "Even that which I can't see yet."

She scooted over, turning onto her side, and patted the spot now vacant next to her. He joined her, moving to face her. He set his hand at her hip, and she reached with her hand and slid his up, resting it over her breast before releasing it.

His eyes fell closed at the feel of her, the softness even despite the lacy bra she had on. She gasped as his thumb instinctively grazed her peak, arching into him. He could get used to hearing that sound coming from her. He didn't let her make it again, though, moving his mouth over hers. That caused a new sound to come from her mouth as their tongues met.

Within a matter of seconds her bra had been taken out of the equation, and he chuckled softly because he hadn't been the one to remove it.

"Severus," she whispered.

He drew away slightly, kissing her jaw and neck before sliding down a bit to kiss the top of a breast and then finding the peak with his tongue.

"Yes," she hissed.

He prompted her onto her back and she went, hands going to his hair as he kissed, licked, and sucked at her skin there. She brushed her thigh against his erection through his boxers and it was his turn to hiss softly. She gave a soft giggle so he sucked on the swell of her breast a little harder, which made her gasp. The gasp was coupled with her pressing herself further into his mouth. So he took that to mean good. Merlin, he was pretty sure he could lay here and be attentive to her breasts and go no further and die a happy man.

Not that he wanted to.

Christ he had no idea how … soft and willing she'd be. Even on Halloween, he hadn't let his mind stray too deeply into what he wanted to do with - rather to - her. He shifted so he was on top of her, settled between her legs which she spread to accommodate him with another giggle. He kissed down over her abdomen, felt her flinch a little at the contact but her hands at his hair told him she was okay. It probably felt … odd.

His hands at either hip, he kissed above the waistband of her knickers before glancing up at her.

"May I?"

"If you don't I will hex you."

"Really? Then who would you get to do this for you?"

"You haven't done anything yet!"

"Mm, I beg to differ. You have a couple of marks on your most appealing breasts that say I have in fact done something."

"Severus Snape!"

He chuckled, sliding her knickers off with his hands. He didn't want any magic involved in this.

"You're staring again," she murmured, blushing as he was on his knees between her legs, not at all shy about the fact he was taking in every inch of her.

"I am. It's rare a man gets to see a true thing of beauty so up close and personal. So, allow me to take a moment."

"You think I'm beautiful?" she asked, and he swallowed hard.

"If I haven't said so before now, I am sorry. I have thought it probably a million times when thinking what you could possibly see in me."

He ran a hand along her thigh. He was way out of his comfort zone. He didn't particularly like doing things he wasn't proficient at. However, other than kissing, he didn't get the impression she was proficient at any of this either.

She reached for his hand then, watching his face as she set it against her mons. His eyes fell closed at the feel of her warmth under the palm of his hand. He moved his hand and she let go of his wrist as he slid his fingers along a spot he'd only seen pictures of in books. They weren't exactly guides on how to do anything with the spot, so he had to go from her response. She bit her lower lip, arching off the bed with a cry as he seemed to hit a particularly good area.

"Hermione," he whispered.

Her eyes fluttered open, and he was overwhelmed with not just the passion and desire there, but trust. For him.

"I have not. I," he searched for the right words. He reached for her hand then. "Book knowledge does not tell me what you like. I do not anticipate lasting overlong, so would like to ensure your enjoyment." He grimaced, knowing he was being wordier than the moment called for. "I want to bring you off."

She laughed softly. He scowled.

"You find that amusing?"

"No, just never thought I'd hear those words come out of your mouth. I like it," she added quickly, as if realizing he would wonder if it bothered her. "A lot."

Intriguing.

"Are you going to help me?" she asked, sounding a bit breathless.

"I would like to, yes."

Together, her hand and his, plus his mouth, they brought her off. He was able to feel her quiver around his fingers and his tongue and to hear the sounds she made as she fell over and as she came down from that peak.

"Addicting," he murmured as he found her nub with his tongue.

"I'd say so, yes," she murmured.

And he gave a soft laugh as he kissed his way up her abdomen back to her breasts.

"You are sure?" he murmured against her neck.

She gave a soft groan as he nipped at her skin and he felt her magic wash over him and he was conveniently no longer restricted by his boxers.

"I guess so," he whispered. "May I apologize…"

"Don't you dare." She slid her hands to his cheeks, drawing him up to kiss her. She licked at his lips, groaning softly and he got even more turned on at the idea that she apparently liked tasting herself. She shifted her pelvic area against his. "We'll learn together, yeah? And I wager we will both have a lot of fun doing so. For once we get to do, not read about something."

"Yes," he hissed as he slid inside of her.

He had no idea who made what sounds. It didn't matter. He knew he came too fast, but he used his hand and fingers to be attentive to her.

"Mine," he whispered. Who knew he had a possessive streak? She was very much his, though.

"Yes," she murmured, kissing him. She drew away, running a finger along his jaw. "Mine."

"You're the only one who would tolerate me."

She laughed softly. "You're probably right. Their loss is my gain."

He found her ear. "Am I getting too heavy?"

"No," she replied. "I do have a question, though."

He smiled as he grazed the edge of her ear with his mouth. "Of course you do."

"Can we again?"

"Oh, Hermione, my love, I plan to again so many times we lose count."

"Tonight?"

He chuckled. "Maybe not tonight, but I will attempt to make a good dent in that number."

"Excellent," she whispered.

"I take it you really had no plans on assisting me with brewing?"

"No, but I certainly planned on extracting your very personal potion."

"You did that very well."

"You, too."

She slid a foot along his calf and a hand along his back, lower to his arse. He groaned softly as she grazed a cheek with her finger. "I want to explore every inch of you."

"As do I."

"Good thing we seem to have time," she said, kissing his jaw.

"A hundred years or so at least."

"That sounds like maybe enough time."

"Maybe, doubtful."

"I agree. I plan on being very thorough."

"I would expect no less from the brightest witch of her age."

Return to Top

Part 43 | Part 45

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com