***Chapter Forty-Three***
July 1998

Dear Hermione,

Why am I not surprised that you'd use time during your first summer off in years to housesit for a farm?

Seriously, though, I hope you have a good time. Then, they have a library, don't they? So, I guess you'll have a great time.

What have they done with the house in the past? Or have they not taken six week long trips before? I guess I've never heard of them doing anything like that. Stephen would have said something if they were going to be gone all summer, but maybe not. I know my parents have always told me I shouldn't tell anyone if they're leaving, so no one knows the house is empty for days. Do their kids mind you're the one staying there? I suppose they all have jobs and such so they probably don't. Other than Meredith. I can imagine she may be jealous. Will she have reason to come by? Will any of them check up to ensure you're not burning the place down?

And now I sound like you with a million questions!

And like you'd burn anything down! Well, I suppose you could with your bluebell flames.

Draco would ask if you're having a party, which is probably why you didn't tell him. And asked me not to tell him. I will say that if you want company, let me know. I'd be happy to visit and help you not be bored. Though, they have books there, don't they? So, you wouldn't get bored. Mum and Dad are happy that I've been accepted for auror training. No huge surprise, which was why I didn't think too hard on what a backup plan might be. I'm sure you're still sorting through your offers. I admit I hope you end up at the Ministry, it'd be weird if we weren't together.

I mean I have kind of gotten used to you reminding me it was time to do this or that by now! (That's a joke!)

I hope that didn't sound too weird. It's just, you've been there for years. I'd miss you if I didn't see you once in a while!

Is it weird in some ways I consider you more like a sister than the sisters I have? I hope not. I'd never say that to anyone but you. It's just we're not real close, not like you and I are. You know that. And, that means I'm rambling to try to fill this parchment.

Anyway, let me know if you need anything. I've heard rumours about their place. I'm apparently not special enough to warrant an invitation, unlike some witches I know. (That's sarcasm! I know Madam Prins kind of adopted you as a surrogate grandchild back in our first year.)

Love,

Harry

Hermione regarded the letter as she sat on the patio in the Prins' garden. She loved it out here, and thought she could get very accustomed to it. The patio was … perfect. Small enough to be intimate yet offered a view of so much of the property. From the memories Marie shared with her, it seemed this very spot was one of the first outside the home they'd established when they got to the house in 1926. She could understand why, even in March when the flowers and trees were dead, it would have been beautiful.

She didn't get the impression this patio was used by or for anyone but them. Their kids maybe when they were young, but it seemed as if this patio was theirs.

She wasn't sure how their relatives felt about her being their choice in housesitter while they went on a six week excursion abroad. It sounded as though they were stopping in a bunch of places. She envied them, but knew they deserved the trip. And knew one day she'd get her summer-long trip abroad.

She imagined she was an outsider, so it wasn't them choosing one grandchild or great grandchild over another. (Though she admittedly was curious if Meredith knew they'd chosen Hermione.)

They also knew that she was trustworthy. Not that their grandchildren weren't, but they knew she wasn't going to have any wild parties or anything.

She'd spent three days here before they left, so that Marie and Erik could go over everything with her. It was a lot of house, and more than just a lot of property. Thankfully, the elves that worked for them didn't need any guidance, because crops and livestock care exceeded Hermione's knowledge. Marie had told her to explore and observe the elves doing their jobs to her heart's content. Hermione planned on it. Well, within reason. The idea of having such a house to herself was a little overwhelming.

She'd taken the room in the servant's quarters area she'd had in the past. Marie told her she could stay wherever she wanted, but it was what she knew. She liked that she had a "her" room at their house. It was private, and being the designated servants' quarters, no one went in the area the holidays she'd been here.

She closed her eyes, tilting her head back against the back of the chair as she enjoyed the sun and the warmth it was providing. Unlike London, there was no noise or anything here. It was almost completely quiet, aside from things like birds. She liked it, found it refreshing. She knew there was a road, but the house was far enough back from it that it didn't matter. For a little while, she could pretend she was the only person in the world. It was, admittedly, a nice feeling for a change. Hogwarts could be so incredibly busy, and loud, as much as she had loved most of her time there.

Marie shared memories with her of what the house had looked like when they'd first gotten here. It hadn't been decrepit or anything, but obviously hadn't been lived in for a while. It was nearing the end of winter when they arrived so the gardens would have been dead, but it was clear they hadn't been tended to for a while. She and Erik presumed they had been victims of the war with Grindelwald.

Seventy-two years they'd been here. She couldn't even imagine what that might have been like. It probably wasn't quite as weird for Erik, who would have known life before cable television and the internet. Marie, though. How odd it must have been to be somewhere without anything she was accustomed to.

Marie said that listening to radio shows with her children was one of her fondest memories because she could recall her grandparents talking about having done it with their parents. Funny, because Hermione could recall those exact same stories! Marie said it made her feel a kinship with her grandparents she'd never felt before. She wondered if Marie had ever been tempted to meet them, but imagined that would have been odd.

She came out of her thoughts, pulling her wand from its holster at her wrist and cast her patronus. She hadn't been too sure how she felt about her patronus being the same as Marie's. Was she her own person, or not? It was one of the first things she'd thought of asking Marie when she got back to Hogwarts after she'd been told who Marie and Erik were. The more she thought about it, though, the more she realized their patronuses weren't the same because Hermione wasn't her own person. Rather, because of who they were as a person they happened to have the same patronus.

Supposedly, Erik's had been a doe once upon a time, as Lily Potter's was. Harry's was a musk stag this go around, a little different from his dad's. This was apparently different. It had been the difference in Harry's that made Hermione scratch talking about her patronus with Erik and Marie off her list.

She smiled at the regal looking swan as she waited patiently for Hermione to give her a message.

"I'm housesitting for the Prins' while they're vacationing for the summer. If you'd like to join me for dinner I saw steaks, potatoes, onions, corn, and green beans in the kitchen. There is a pie there, too. Or if none of that appeals to you, bring what you'd prefer."

Her swan patronus floated off and she stood then, making her way inside to look around the kitchen further. From the looks of the packaging, she suspected the steaks were from their own beef cattle herd. The potatoes, onions, corn, and green beans were obviously from their gardens as well.



She was in the paddock with Clover and two of their other horses when she heard the pop of apparition a while later. She smiled as she finished brushing the horse down. She hadn't ridden her, but the idea of having access to a horse all day, every day while she stayed here was exciting so she'd come to say hi. The elves clearly knew what to do without Hermione's help, so she said goodbye and headed in the direction of the front door, assuming that would be where he'd go.

"You got my message," she said, obviously startling him a bit. She took a bit of pleasure in the fact she was able to do that. Wartime or not, he was an observant man and she knew little got by him. He'd been expecting her to answer the door, not show up from outside.

"I did." She felt a little … giddy at the look he gave her, suggesting he was happy to see her. As happy as he was willing to convey anyway. He noticed she was looking at him and she blushed a bit at that. This was new. There were no rules in play anymore.

"You are empty handed so my dinner suggestion must suit your palette."

"I was thinking, actually, perhaps I could take you out. If you were amenable to such a thing."

"Oh?" That surprised her because while things had changed from when Erik and Marie first moved to this area, it was still primarily residential. Of course, they could go wherever they wanted, she supposed.

"Well, I wasn't sure how your parents would respond to an owl, or you for that matter, particularly from me. I assumed, too, you had things you wished to do after the year. And I suppose, in truth, there's a part of me that thinks your … feelings were thrust upon you by circumstance and proximity."

"So you were waiting for me." She wasn't sure if she was surprised or angry by that. She wasn't angry, exactly. Irritated maybe. Didn't he understand?

"More or less."

"You really don't think I know how I feel? It's not as if I just spent a few weeks in your company. It's been years, Severus. The memories Marie shared with me didn't do anything, other than explain some things. About myself, you, and them. So were you never going to contact me?"

That hurt. Yes, that was what she felt. Hurt. She could understand giving her some time, but was he just going to let her walk away? Not talk to her or contact her unless she did first? What did that even mean?

"No, Hermione, that's not what I said. Or at least not how I meant it. I was going to give you some time. They did not tell me about your housesitting. Deliberately, I guess, I don't know. It had to be. I presumed that you had things you wanted to do with your parents, your muggle friends. I realize it's been a while, but I remember how appealing the idea of doing nothing for a little while after sitting NEWTs was to me."

"I think that was why they asked me. I think sitting there with my parents, fretting over me to make a decision would be too stressful."

"Have you received many offers then?"

"A few. Harry's been accepted for auror training."

He smirked at that. No doubt realizing she was deflecting. She had received quite a few offers. She was taking some time to think over things while she was here. She had time.

"Not unexpected considering who his parents are."

"True." She glanced at him then and then to the door. "So, did you want to go in? Or walk around some? They have a lovely patio in their garden I was sitting in when I sent you my message. I believe there's still some wine left in the bottle."

"Is there? Are you trying to get me drunk, Hermione?" He looked amused, so he didn't truly think she was. It might be kind of fun to see him drunk, though. Not that she'd do that deliberately, but he was always so in control. Collected. It would be interested to see if he was that way under the influence, too.

"That wasn't my intent, no. It's just so nice to sit outside, and the wine is refreshing."

"I would be honoured to join you then."

She turned then to head back around the house, waving him to follow her. The table and chairs out here were nice but well-used. She liked that about the house actually. They obviously had the means to purchase two new chairs if they so desired. They liked these chairs, though, and weren't too pompous to let others see that they were well used. Some would charm them to look as new as the day they'd purchased them.

"This is obviously one of their favourite spots."

She smiled a bit, liking that he recognized that, too.

"I'd say so," she agreed. "It's lovely. I can imagine both of them sitting here, looking out over the property and realizing they did this."

"As can I. You said you thought there was some wine left."

"Oh, did I not mention that I believe the bottle is charmed to stay full?"

"You left that part out."

"Mm, and it stays chilled, too. Magic is truly a wonderful thing."

"It can be, yes."

He held his glass up to hers.

"To your beginning," he said.

"Mm, just mine?"

He chuckled softly. "I admit, I was thinking about you embarking on a career, but you are correct. Our beginning then."

She touched the rim of her glass against his before taking a sip.

"It is good," he admitted after his sip. "So what will you do for six weeks?"

"I imagine a lot of reading," she said with a laugh. "And walking, probably riding Clover. She's such a good horse, and I do miss riding regularly. Erik said I could use his lab if I wanted to. He seems to think his wards will accept me."

"I would think they should. He can get into my quarters, and I presume Marie could as well, though she never has tried."

"That's a little frightening, isn't it?"

"Admittedly, yes," he said with a chuckle. "That would be a difficult one to explain. ‘It was me, but not truly me.'"

She laughed softly.

"The funny thing is it wouldn't be the most far fetched thing I've seen since being exposed to the magical world."

"I am curious about the device Albus had access to. Seventy years. He's lucky it worked," Severus said.

She'd thought that, too. She thought they were incredibly brave for taking the chance. Hermione hadn't asked about the device, beyond what Marie had shown her of it in her memories. It wasn't her place to, and she believed Marie that it was hidden well.

"I suppose he thought, and they agreed, that it was worth any potential risk."

"I think you're right, but they're still incredibly lucky. They could have died, or worse been stuck somewhere with no access to Albus or anything else."

She nodded, taking a sip from her wine glass. She'd thought on that, too, when she thought over everything Marie had shown her. And told her during her last school year.

"Something tells me we would have figured a way out," she said softly. It was … heady to think it could have been them. In reality, it was them. How odd to think.

"I suppose you're right. My parents did not seem to be in the picture originally."

"I got that impression, too, but my memories were from her perspective, aimed at me I presume. So she may not have shared everything."

"It's just interesting, because they are both very much alive. Mum is … well, I suppose. I speak with her occasionally, I suppose closer to regularly these days. My father is still a drunken buffoon."

She felt bad for even thinking about wanting to see him drunk a moment ago. He knew that Severus did everything that he could not to be his father. Erik had, too, and obviously succeeded. Cross wanting to see a drunk Severus off her list. She'd find another way to get him to lose control.

"Have you seen either of them lately?"

"Him, no. I have no desire to, and she knows that. I keep tabs admittedly, just to be sure he's not out of control. Evidently, he's not as … violent any longer, though I have no firsthand proof of that. Mum," he shrugged. "I see her. We get along better than we did fifteen years ago, but not much better. It's incredibly difficult to let my childhood experiences go. I know they feel bad that I had them the same as Erik did, but I do agree with them that altering things even in my childhood could have altered other things. One just never knows. They were prepared to do what they had to do if the plan didn't work with the baby they came here for. They couldn't do that for every person who wronged someone. So, I've come to terms with it. In time, maybe I will learn to let go and move forward without the weight of the memories."

"I can imagine." She didn't know all that he'd experienced, but she knew enough. Marie and Erik had both told her that they were afraid of altering things they didn't want to alter if they interfered. She understood, and she also knew it had to have been tempting … for both of them.

"I feel like such a selfish prick sometimes, though. I look at him, and he taught her. Our mother. He was able to look at her every day for seven years, knowing what our life was going to be like. He didn't warn her, which could have resulted in my not being here at all."

"Right."

"He suffered years of torment and torture. I've seen his memories, Hermione. His scars are … not insignificant. I can't move past my mother being abused, and what she allowed to happen to me as a result of that abuse. I wasn't picked on overmuch at Hogwarts. Some, but not nearly as bad as what he showed me of his experiences. Lily and I never had a complete falling out as they did. We're no longer close as we were when we were nine and ten, but that's not unexpected I have come to realize as I've gotten older. I swore, though, at the time if I ever found that meddling old man that I'd hex him. I knew, when she told me a few days later that she just thought of me as a friend, that he'd visited her, too."

"And now?" Her heart skipped a bit, wondering if she shouldn't have asked the question. Perhaps it was too personal. Perhaps she wouldn't like the answer. She wasn't sure, but she needed to know. Then, she hadn't seen any evidence of him fawning over Harry's mum when they had reason to communicate while Harry was at Hogwarts the past seven years.

He watched her for a moment, his dark eyes assessing her. She tried not to fidget under his scrutiny. He knew it, too.

"That was over twenty-five years ago. I can't even remember, other than she was the first person who was kind to me with no ulterior motives. I mistook kindness and friendship for affection because I had no exposure to what that was at home."

"I suppose. Do you talk?"

"Not much. We hadn't for a few years before Harry started. We've communicated a few times. It has become less strained over time."

"I'm glad."

"As am I. I hated having that cloud over my one positive childhood memory. He did it for her, you. And I can appreciate that but, at the time, I hated him."

"I can understand."

"So, any offers from Archives or Mysteries?"

"Archives, yes. Nothing from Mysteries."

"Are you hoping for one?"

"I still don't know. Mum and Dad said I can stay with them until I decide. They want me to do university, but I'm not sure I want to do that."

"Oh?" She ducked her head, smiling a bit at his tone. Surprised, yes, as she hadn't mentioned it before now because her parents hadn't really emphasized it until now. He didn't sound overly pleased that she might be at university for three years. She wouldn't make a decision because of him. He wouldn't ask her to anyway.

"I like the magical world, and seven years at Hogwarts has put me rather out of touch with muggle studies. I know some do it, and know I'd be capable, but if I can do something worthwhile that earns me a good living in the magical world. Well, then why not?"

"That makes sense, but I can also understand your parents' thoughts on university."

"You're right."

"Was that a yes or no to dinner out?"

"We could, but really, there's plenty of food here."

"I'm sure there is. You'd prefer that?"

"I think it would be nice to prepare dinner with you."

"Do you have much experience?"

She laughed then, knowing she was blushing. "Admittedly, no."

"So, I'll be preparing and you'll be assisting?"

"Yes."

"And this would be all right with you?"

"Why wouldn't it?"

He shrugged. It looked as if he wasn't sure what to say. "I presumed a date…"

"Does a date require us to leave?"

"I suppose not."

"Have you looked in their game room?"

"No. I was in there with you the one time at Christmas, but I guess I didn't really take the time to look at all of the offerings."

"Well, why don't we start there, see if there's anything we can agree to. If not, we can talk about leaving."

"Sounds good."

"There's also their basement Marie has told me I can explore."

"Their basement?"

"Mm, Erik hasn't told you?"

"I guess not."

"They have a magical tent in the lab Erik originally put together before the one he has now."

"Okay?"

"There are books and such that they brought with them."

"Really?" he asked. She laughed softly, because that had been her reaction, too.

"Yes. I haven't been in, but they both told me I'd be welcome to look at the items in it if I wanted to."

"Interesting."

"Isn't it? Erik said the collection isn't as vast as what he actually had. He was reported dead, I guess, so he felt he couldn't take everything."

"Yes, that would be suspicious. I don't know if his library was as vast as mine is, but it would be difficult to bring everything with me if I had to leave as they did."



He'd been surprised at the amount of games. From Risk to Clue to Monopoly to Sorry and then some obviously geared toward younger kids like Chutes and Ladders to CandyLand to Connect Four. There were wizarding games, too, but both seemed to gravitate toward the muggle ones. Cards, dice, backgammon, chess and checkers, and dominoes. Someone could be stranded in the house and not play the same game more than once for a month probably. Some were different versions of the same game, but still.

"So you have no true work to do while here, correct?" he asked as they were working on dinner later.

"Correct. I am really just to make sure the house doesn't burn down in their absence. The elves know what to do. If I want to help, I can. I don't know the first thing about gardening or anything, beyond the horses. And even that knowledge is basic as I never had my own."

"Would you care to assist me some?"

"Really?" she asked.

"Yes. A second pair of hands would be … welcome."

"Sure. Have you looked around the grounds here? You might find some plants and flowers you could use."

"I have not, but I know Erik has mentioned an assortment of items being available here."

"Well, you know where I'll be for the next six weeks. I'd love to explore, it sounds much more appealing in July than in December when I've been here at Christmastime."

He chuckled. "You have a point."

"I like hearing you laugh."

"Thank you," he said, and he shook his head slightly knowing he was blushing.

Stupid.

He'd question her sanity, except the night before Halloween she'd been rather specific about her feelings, and how they'd come to be. He couldn't argue with that, because the same was true for him. That time together, years, had allowed him to see someone different than most others saw, he'd wager even Malfoy and Potter. He could tell by now when she was having a good day, or a bad one, from the moment she walked into his lab. For that matter, looking at her at the breakfast table mornings, he could determine whether she'd slept well or not.

Halloween.

He'd thought he was going to have a heart attack when he saw her walk into the Great Hall in a skintight Catwoman costume. He'd been fine with Potter dancing with her, even a few other students after Potter started talking up Miss Chang. Erik, though, he was still certain had asked her to dance deliberately. No one had found it particularly odd because he was in the library with Marie often enough, and everyone knew that Hermione was Marie's pet student. So, for her husband to ask her to dance wasn't out of the realm of plausible things to occur.

No, that wasn't the problem.

The problem was that he knew things about this witch that Severus did not. That he very much wanted to. What she felt and tasted like. He'd called her into his office intent on kissing her, but hadn't been able to call up the … nerve to do that. Eighteen though she may have been, she was still a student. So, he'd settled for a touch and a kiss to her head. She hadn't seemed to mind, but he'd very much wanted more that night.

Remus hadn't helped.

He was fairly sure his best friend was now infatuated with the witch. And it wasn't as if he could say anything back in October to dissuade him from being so. Last summer, Remus had teased Severus about there being someone. He'd come by his home both nights he and Hermione had been at the movies. Several weeks apart. He'd had no idea what to say. Confiding to his best friend that he liked a witch nearly twenty years younger than him who was embarking upon her seventh year at Hogwarts did not seem wise.

So he'd remained quiet and said he'd been out. Remus knew he wasn't being entirely honest, but hadn't pushed.

And then when he'd seen the witch on Halloween night. Well, he wasn't sure what he'd do if Remus said he liked the witch. He hadn't really said anything since that night, mentioning her once or twice but not giving Severus a sense that he should have obliviated his best friend's memory of her.

She hadn't done anything like that again. There'd been no opportunity to, really. After that night, she had been the proper Hermione Granger she'd always been. That did not stop wizards from lusting after her. Talking about her. Looking at her.

Infuriating!

There were times, though, sitting in his lab with her, smelling the scents that made her her that he'd picture her in that costume.

And then get upset with himself for doing so.

And now, here he was alone with her, doing something very domestic, and he didn't know how to change things between them. What was more, it wasn't odd or uncomfortable to be doing these things with her after years of working with her in his lab.

The dinner was a good one. He was certain the steaks had been left for her, assuming she'd invite him. It was the first time in his life he'd eaten a meal completely from one particular person's home and hardwork. There had even been an apple pie that no doubt had been made with their own apples.

After washing the dishes, he wasn't sure what she had in mind. Perhaps hours together like this was more than she had counted on.

"Walk with me?" she asked.

"Of course."

He'd go anywhere with her, he was fairly certain.

They went out the backdoor leading from the kitchen then and she offered him her hand, which he took. She sighed deeply, and he was pretty sure he'd echoed it just as deeply internally. They got to a pond on the property, which also happened to be closest to the house. It was big enough to stock with fish and such and to swim in if someone was so inclined (he'd heard the grandchildren talk about it, so imagined many were). There were a few benches out here, so Severus guessed this was a favoured spot of many just to sit.

She guided him to one of the benches where she kicked off her muggle trainers and stretched her legs out in front of her. Her toenails were painted a rather flamboyant red. It looked … fetching on her.

He brought her hand to his thigh, positioning them so hers was the one on top. He reached with his other hand then, grazing a nail with his thumb. "Why don't you do your fingernails that colour?"

"Oh, I don't know. I guess Mum raised me that they should be more neutral, and I've never tried anything else. Plus, fingernail polish didn't really fit with Hogwarts. I could have magically done them, but there's something fun about filing them and doing the polish the muggle way." She shrugged.

"Now that you mention it, Mum stuck with pinks and tans, too." He said, not having thought on that. "I remember at church when I was quite young. She brought me, because it was what good muggles did. I'd hold her hand, and I can still remember what her fingernails felt like. I knew the Sundays she'd polished them and the ones she hadn't. I knew when she had but one had chipped."

"That's kind of sweet," she said softly.

"I'd sort of forgotten about it until now. Again, I was very young. I couldn't tell you what the sermons were about or what hymns were sung."

"So you'd like them in red? Is that what you're saying?"

He chuckled. "Not at all. I mean, whatever colour you choose. I just wondered the reason for the difference."

"I'll tell you what," she said, squeezing his hand.

"Mm," he said.

"Come with me the next time I go shopping for a colour for my toes, and you can help me pick it out."

He regarded her toes again, his thumb still grazing her fingernail.

"Maybe we'll find a colour I could use on both."

"I'm not sure I want to go shopping…"

She laughed then. "Don't worry I won't make you shop with me for hours. We can pick a time and make a quick trip out of it." She wiggled her toes in the grass. "Maybe you could help me paint them."

"That sounds enjoyable," he said. It truly did. It would mean he could … touch her. He liked that thought. Was that odd?

"To me, too," she whispered.

Evidently not odd then, if she liked the sound of him doing that. (She had suggested it!) That was a relief.

They sat for a while, saying nothing else. They'd catch a glimpse of a fish or two swimming near their bench. Eventually, she slid her trainers back on and, wordlessly, they both stood, walking further onto the property away from the house.

He'd been here a few times over the years, but always, other than the past couple of Christmases, it was to visit Erik and his lab. He really hadn't taken the time to … look at everything. Of course, doing it with Erik by his side versus this witch was a vastly different experience.

"They really have done a great job with all of this," he said.

"They have. I don't know what memories you got, but it was obvious it hadn't been cared for properly for a while before they arrived."

"Agreed."

"Marie asked me if I thought it was wrong that they kept the house."

"What?" he asked, that thought never having occurred to him.

"Well, it was given to them to help them get started…"

"I think a home was the least Albus could have done for them, considering what he asked of them. Her especially. I realize she was months away from being seventeen, but the fact was she wasn't. I didn't get the impression it was a temporary gift either."

Silence as they walked. It was nice. He'd stop to look at something, or she would. Neither seemed to mind the pause in their walk.

"She doesn't want to meet them."

It took him a second to catch up to what subject her mind had jumped to. He guessed where she went, though. There weren't too many thems in the equation Hermione would think Marie might want to meet.

"Your parents?"

"Yes. She came to my house when she shared the memories with me at a time she knew they would be out. I asked her if she wanted to come back. She said no."

"I would imagine it would be … difficult."

"I imagine so. I offered for it to be an accidental meeting, like at my library or something."

"Perhaps, in time. I would think seeing you this age, knowing she didn't get this time with them."

"I hadn't thought of it quite like that. They're good people."

"It seems that way."

She squeezed his hand. "I think they're part of why we like you."

He scoffed softly.

"I'm serious, Severus. I think if I hadn't had them, a good example, it would be very difficult to get past your armour."

"Mm," he said.

"Because we had that, though, good people to love us. We want to give that to you."

"Patron saint of lost causes, eh?"

"I wouldn't say you're a lost cause, no. Just that it takes someone special to see past that prickly exterior you like to exhibit."

"I think she is one of the most amazing people I've met," he said. They'd agreed not to discuss what they knew at Hogwarts. Erik and Marie had worked very hard to keep their secret, successfully. Neither Severus nor Hermione wanted to be the cause of it coming out now. "He had nothing to lose from the sounds of it. He lived in the home we grew up in. It sounded as though both parents were deceased long before 1996, though he never said and I didn't ask. It was irrelevant by that point, especially since they are still alive for me. He had no life but acting as a spy and getting tortured. What did he have to surrender or sacrifice? More misery? She had, literally, everything to lose. She didn't know he wouldn't be a horse's arse to her. He showed me plenty of memories from that lifetime to know he could be that very well. She was willing to take that risk, though, in an attempt to save someone's soul and the world. That, of course, translates into thinking you're one of the most amazing people because you are her, and I have no doubt if we were presented with the same opportunity you'd do it."

"In a heartbeat."

They were both quiet for a while after that as they made their way back toward the house. It wasn't uncomfortable or unpleasant. Her hand felt nice clasped in his, her fingers laced through his. She wasn't holding on with dear life, or as if she was afraid he'd let go. It was, dare he say it, comfortable. He was trying to remember the last time he had held someone's hand. Lily he supposed. So, 1971?

He wasn't a touchy person, even as a child (he really couldn't say his parents or homelife made him that way), and her rebuff of him hadn't improved that. Once he'd graduated from Hogwarts, he worked hard on his apprenticeship, not wanting to let Erik down. He was the first person to ever show him kindness, to ever indicate they had faith in him, and who listened to his ideas when he had them about anything whether it was potions related or not. So that brought him to 1981 when he'd taken Erik's position.

Then, well, he found it difficult to believe by that point anyone would legitimately want him. That they weren't … laughing at him. So, he'd just kept to himself at Hogwarts and perfected the unapproachable, sullen-personalitied Professor Snape. It had worked, until Marie had suggested allowing this witch to work with him.

She'd known what she was doing.

It was easy not to let anyone in if he didn't let them spend any time with him.

He'd feel played or toyed with, except the witch hadn't made him care for this witch. She'd just put them together to let them figure it out for themselves. It was almost too good to be true. He believed them, felt the memories shared with him were true.

There was one thing that bothered him, though.

"Hermione," he asked when they were almost back to the house.

"Yes?"

"May I ask, was there a reason you didn't wish to go out to dinner tonight?"

She squeezed his hand a bit. "No reason, other than it's the first time we've really been alone without rules and regulations in place. I didn't want other people watching."

He watched her, looking for any indication she was being untruthful. Not lying necessarily, but maybe glossing over the truth. He saw nothing like that in her. It made sense, actually. His thought had been they hadn't been able to go out together since last summer when they'd seen movies together so dinner out sounded … nice. He wasn't stuck on the idea, or hurt she'd said no. He just had to be sure that she wasn't … embarrassed or ashamed.

"That is truly the only reason?"

She regarded him. He met her gaze for a moment but looked away, unwilling to risk seeing … dissatisfaction in her eyes. Aimed at him. She'd, oddly, never asked him for clarification after he'd admitted the night before Halloween that he'd never even taken a witch out properly before. He'd hoped, later, it hadn't been the wrong thing to say. He wasn't going to lie to her about his experiences, though.

She stopped walking then, releasing his hand and moved to stand in front of him. She set her hand at his cheek, grazing the corner of his mouth with her thumb.

"That is the only reason, Severus. I know that you worry about our age difference, and what people will think. So, I thought they'd left food for us, and you know it was for us."

"I surmised as much, yes."

She leaned up then, and he was certain his heart stopped at the realization that she was going to kiss him. His eyes fell closed, despite not wanting them to, as her lips met his. They were soft, moist but not overly so, and tasted like ambrosia.

His ambrosia.

He'd seen people kiss. He could even recall his parents doing it a few times when he was a small boy. Experiencing it, though, a woman kissing him out of desire for him, was nothing he was prepared for. This was different from their kisses after the movies, too.

She nipped at his lower lip before taking it in between her lips and drawing away, giving a soft laugh. It was a laugh he recognized from her as one of embarrassment. Her ducking her head, as if to hide from him, was further proof of that.

He brought his hand to her jaw, setting his thumb at her chin.

"Did you not wish to do that?"

"No, I did. I thought maybe that you might wish that I hadn't."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "I know that's not …"

"Do I look offended?"

"Well, no," she said, nipping at her lower lip now, as she had a habit of doing. He slid his thumb up to graze it, and drew it out from under her front teeth. Teeth that his older self had made fun of once. He wondered when she had taken the time to correct them. And why.

"Look at me, Hermione," he said. She did as asked. "I'm quite certain there is nothing you could do to offend me."

"Nothing?"

He chuckled. "Nothing that I can think of. If something comes up, I will let you know in a way that is not derogatory or insulting."

"Okay," she whispered.

He grazed her lower lip with his thumb and she moved her head a bit so she could take his thumb between her lips and kiss it, darting her tongue over the pad of it. He gave a soft groan at the unexpected touch.

"Thank you," he murmured.

She blushed then, parting her lips, her eyes never leaving his as she settled her hand against his wrist and then drew his thumb further into her mouth.

"Tease," he whispered.

"Mm hmm," she said, kissing the pad of his thumb again. She licked the tip of it before pulling her mouth away completely. "Should I stop?"

"I didn't say that."

She giggled. And it was a very feminine sounding giggle, which he found affected parts of him he wished would not wake up at this moment in time. Not that he wished them not to be affected by her. Of course he did. Just here and now, tonight, was probably not the time for her to know how aroused a simple gesture such as this made him.

Her lips slid over his thumb again and his breath caught at the absolutely primal look in her eyes as she worked his thumb in and out of her mouth. No qualms about the roughness of them due to his work. Did his eyes match hers? He couldn't help but wonder, but assumed they did.

"We should find something else to do, Hermione, before I do something neither of us is ready for," he whispered.

Her eyes darkened at that, but she slid her mouth off of his thumb and released his wrist. He leaned down then, brushing his lips over hers. He groaned softly at being this close to her, to her scent. It had been taunting him since the first time they'd brewed the amortentia.

"Know that it is not a lack of want…"

"I know," she whispered.

"Good. I do not wish to insult you, that is not my intent."

"You're fine," she said, dropping her hand back in his and he squeezed hers, grateful she hadn't gotten upset. "I just wanted you to know how I feel."

"Noted. And not only very appreciated but immensely reciprocated."

"Immensely, huh?"

"Fishing for compliments, Hermione?"

"Not particularly, but it is nice to hear."

"Ah, in that case, yes. Immensely might even be understating it."

"Mm," she said, brushing his hip with hers as they headed back to the house. "So, games then?"

"I think that would be the wisest course of action for tonight. Yes."

"I'd accuse you of being no fun, but I tend to agree."

That relieved him. Some might laugh at him thinking that he wasn't … ready … for that step at his age. He just knew he didn't want to rush into things. And moving beyond kissing their first time together when she was done with her schooling would be rushing.

"I'm glad we are on the same page."

Return to Top

Part 42 | Part 44

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com