***Chapter Forty-Two***
October 30, 1997

She was working on some headache potion for both the school's infirmary and St. Mungo's. It was a potion that she could probably brew in her sleep by now. Sometimes, he assigned her those potions because he knew it could lead to a conversation between them. She didn't seem to know why he assigned them to her and yet she didn't complain or huff in frustration. He wondered if Erik didn't want to supply these things, or if he just didn't want to take things away from Severus. It would be interesting to know. He doubted Erik would be honest with him, so he left it alone.

"Severus," she said softly.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"I know that you're capable of doing just that, sometimes incessantly, yes."

"Smart arse," she murmured.

"Yes, well, that has always been the case. And since you started this with my name rather than my title, I'm assuming this is personal in nature and not school related. That is the main reason I'm allowing the cheek to stand."

Of course he couldn't recall the last time she'd addressed him as professor or sir when they were alone like this. So, likely she knew that he wasn't really threatening her with a deduction of points or detention.

"If Marie hadn't made the suggestion to keep me occupied would we be here?"

That was an interesting question. She hadn't said much, to him anyway, about what Marie had told and shown her. He was aware she knew. That was about the extent of it. As he had no … claims on her, he couldn't really pry. He certainly hadn't rushed out to tell her when Erik had done the same to him in the spring.

"Likely not," he said softly. "I have never in all of my years of teaching bothered to get to know a student outside of class. Merlin, Hermione, I barely did when I was a student! I have certainly never needed assistance."

He didn't really now, and she knew that. That was the reason some days she got stuck doing things like headache potion. Those were always needed.

"So, that's the only reason?"

"I'm not sure what answer you're looking for. You were twelve years old. I did not look at you in such a fashion. I will not deny that as you spent time here with me and I got to know you, which was I presume Marie's intention behind the suggestion. Well, I found myself fond of you, so I may not have reacted … well … to certain things in your fourth year."

She smiled slightly at that, he noticed. He was glad. He wasn't sure bringing … that up would be a mistake or not.

"I think I reacted poorly because I did not realize it had occurred. The fondness, I mean."

"I understand."

"I'm glad that you do. I did not. I'm not sure I do even now."

"Oh," she said, biting that lower lip.

"That is not an insult slung at you. It's reflective of me. I have never done this before, Hermione."

"I haven't either. Not really. Stephen," she shrugged. "I may have misinterpreted his being friendly and nice. I don't really know."

"I think you were correct in your assumption, but Erik saw it and, based on who you are to Marie,…"

"Ah, that makes sense," she said with a nod. He was grateful she didn't need further explanation. "I hadn't thought about either of them seeing us. And Viktor," she said, sounding cautious as she glanced at him for a moment. Evidently not certain it was okay for her to bring up the subject even if he just had. "I think it was just the rarity of it that appealed to me. I mean of all the witches in this castle, he chose me."

"You sound so surprised by that." And that astounded him. Who else would a wizard like Krum choose? Severus pondered that more than once after Erik showed him the things he had. Of all the witches he'd met. Of all the witches currently in the castle. None appealed to him in such a fashion before.

Lily clearly didn't count, and might have been the reason he was … delayed … in putting a label on his feelings for Hermione. Beyond the fact she was still a student and thinking about her like that consciously was odd for him.

"Well, yes."

"You are an attractive, capable, and intelligent witch."

"Capable and smart, yes. I have never been described as attractive."

"Well, you are, and to someone like him, who probably never had someone not know or care who he was, it was rather heady. I expect anyway. I know I find it heady, and I'm not a famous quidditch player."

"Yes, well, I'm only interested in quidditch because of Harry and Draco."

"I know. Speaking of Draco, Mr. Malfoy - the elder one - has complained to the Board of Governors about our arrangement, just by the way."

"Oh?"

"Yes, he seems to think Draco should have been considered for any sort of extracurricular opportunities. I'm not sure why it took him years to register a complaint."

"Because I'm not pureblood?"

"I should think so, yes. I am, fortunately or not, not privy to Lucius Malfoy's thought process. I understand he may have some insight into it."

Hermione nodded. She knew what he was saying. His older self had been friendly with Lucius Malfoy. That concept was a bit bothersome, because that meant at one time he'd been … gullible enough to be taken in by that pompous arse. Severus didn't know him well, but he'd met him enough times over the years to know he was the poster child for pompous arses. He'd never say that aloud, to anyone. Well, maybe to her.

"Why haven't I heard about this until now?" she asked.

"Because Albus has sufficiently headed off any real complaints. He is aware of our situation to some degree. He is aware who they are, obviously."

"He must trust you. He's never once asked me about it, or just shown up here."

"Of course he does," he said simply.

In truth, knowing or not, Severus had been surprised that Albus had never once asked him about his relationship with Hermione. Whatever his older self had done throughout the years, it was obviously enough that the headmaster didn't even feel the need to question what he was doing alone with a student regularly for years.

He took that as a great compliment indeed. And a testament to the kind of man his older self was reputed to be. He supposed it, too, meant he was living up to that reputation, too.

"Are you going to the ball tomorrow night?" she asked.

"I am required to attend," he said with a huff. "The only pleasing part of the evening is dancing with Marie. Who, I realize now, has been doing so intentionally."

"Mm," she said. "I think she's fond of you."

"Obviously."

She laughed softly, as if he hadn't understood what she said.

"No, you. This you."

"I have come to the same conclusion, though I cannot fathom why."

"I think she likes seeing that a difference was made even with you. Even if they couldn't change things for you growing up, things still changed. He went through a lot."

"He did," he said with a slight nod. Their eyes met and both knew that was enough of that topic here in the castle. "And you? Will you be attending?"

"I'll be there."

He wondered what she would go as. He was oddly looking forward to this year's ball. He certainly never had ever before, as a student or as a professor at Hogwarts. She was now eighteen, so he no longer felt … wrong in being attracted to her. Not that he could do anything about that attraction at the ball.

He could look, though, for the first time without feeling as if he was doing something wrong. He hadn't allowed himself to do that to this point. Not really. Movies over the summer could be seen as dates. He knew that. She was seventeen, legal, and weeks shy of eighteen the last movie they saw. Her parents, however, were not magical, so he had not felt right doing more than attending the movies with her. And seeing her home because if they did pursue this, he didn't want her parents to think he wasn't polite or respectful enough to see their daughter home to ensure she got there safely. Yes, they kissed after the second movie, as they had the first one, but it was a kiss. He, nor she, had tried to take it further than that.

"Does the headmaster make you go because he knows you hate those things?" she asked, bringing him out of his thoughts about her at the ball.

He chuckled. "In part I'm sure that's the reason, yes. He does like amusing himself. Aside from that, he feels as though we all need to make an appearance. School spirit. Socialization. No preferential treatment. If he gives one the night off, he has to do it for everyone. And so on."

"Ah. That makes sense, and seems fair. I imagine you're not the only one who would rather be anywhere but there."

"I imagine you are correct. Do I get a hint as to your costume?"

He was curious. What would she go as? He was sure he couldn't fathom. Any costume hints he thought of with regard to Marie were brushed aside. Marie was in her sixties, seventies, and eighties during the time Severus had known her. He had no idea what an eighteen year old Marie might have dressed as. Nevermind, an eighteen year old Marie in 1927 was drastically different to an eighteen year old Marie in 1997 as she was supposed to have been.

"Afraid you won't recognize me?" She gave a soft laugh with a shake of her head, so she was teasing him. He wondered when that had become … normal. Him allowing her to tease him. Her believing she could tease him. No one else did. Besides Erik, Marie, and Albus anyway.

"Just wanting to know how many hexes I need to have prepared."

"You wouldn't!"

He chuckled. Oh but he would. Not this year, but eventually. Yes, he absolutely would. "You are correct."

"It's fun to think about, though."

"It is?"

That admission surprised, and pleased, him. He wasn't sure which was more prevalent. He'd think on that later.

She shook her head slightly. "For me anyway, yes."

"I see," he said, thinking on that.

"Not that I want you to hex anyone," she said quickly.

The tone told him that might not be completely true. That was interesting. What did it mean?

"Hmm," he said, puzzling it out. "You don't want me to, but like knowing I would think about it?"

"Yeah, I guess. That sounds silly to you, I suppose." She shrugged. She was blushing, and glancing at her hands. That meant she was uncertain or embarrassed.

"Why would it?" He didn't think it sounded silly at all.

"Because you're not eighteen."

"Mm, and you think I wouldn't appreciate the same behaviour?"

"I guess I don't, no. Why? Would you?"

He thought he might, but publicly? Hexing someone? As if she'd have reason to hex someone because of their interest in him. He doubted that would happen.

"I'm not sure."

She tilted her head then, regarding him, pestle in hand, hip resting against the edge of the table that had essentially been hers for years now. He recalled when he'd taken over from Erik as professor thinking that it was as if this lab had been made to accommodate a second person. He understood now that Hogwarts likely had indeed accommodated Erik's need for space for Marie. Since he was essentially Erik it remained the same for him, assuming he would need the space eventually as well. His quarters were different, as his elder self had been Slytherin's head of house. He shuddered to think of him being sorted in Slytherin with some of the classmates he remembered from his time as a student.

That was of course how Erik had gotten to know Lucius Malfoy, and others who had gone on to be death eaters in Erik and Marie's original time.

"Why is that?"

"Why is what?"

"Why is there no one for me to hex?"

He scoffed, staring at her for a moment. Surely, she was joking. And yet the look on her face told him that she was quite serious. "Evidently what you two see is exclusive to you."

"Oh, I find that very hard to believe."

"And, yet, he agreed to the plan before she did, so that would imply the same was true for him."

"And I don't get that. You're brilliant."

"Somehow I suspect most people want more than that…"

"You are though!"

"I'm beginning to question that brightest witch of your age thing."

"Very funny," she said.

She walked up to him then, shaking her pestle (and it was hers by now, she preferred it over any others) at him, and frowned. He hadn't seen this Hermione Granger in a while. Attitude. Sass. Her long curls seeming to have a mind of their own, echoing her irritation.

"Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't so."

"And what do you see, Hermione? I am, in fact, a thirty-seven year old wizard who has never truly taken a witch out properly. No one, other than Marie, has ever asked me to dance or attempted to socialize with me. Minerva, I'm quite sure, has suggested me to witches she knows because I see the pitying gaze she bestows upon me at staff meetings. And yet, she has never given me a name of someone I ought to take out. I know perfectly well what I am."

" They don't know what you are."

"And you do?"

"I'm not sure if that's some slight against me based on my age or not, but I'll answer you as if it is a sincere question since we have a first-hand example that my age shouldn't be an issue. Yes, I do. I've spent hours with you in this room. I've heard you curse stupid statements written in essays and exams. I've heard you give credit when someone writes something thought provoking, even if you don't agree with it or know that what they're saying isn't right. You still commend them for thinking outside of the box. I've heard you laugh. I've seen you smile. The first time I saw the latter, I wondered why you never did it. The first time I heard the former, I wanted to hear it again. I saw you interact with a man that you respect greatly, having no idea that he may have gone out of his way to be kind to you for a reason. You were kind and respectful, always, even though he'd been gone from a position of authority over you for quite some time. Twenty years you had no idea, just that he thought you were brilliant enough to take his place. I've seen you treat his wife with respect, despite not having a good relationship with your mum, so you don't believe that one bad woman means all of them are. I've heard your sarcasm, and have to stifle laughter more often than not because no one else gets it. That's the problem, Severus Snape, it's not that you're unappealing, it's that you haven't met anyone that you wanted to let in to see who you are. You are, I admit, an acquired taste."

He snorted at that, staring at her he was sure very inappropriately.

"She did me a favour. I would never have had the chance to get to know you if she hadn't talked to me. And you, I guess," she whispered with a shrug. "If nothing else, I've grown to consider you a friend, and you don't seem to be swimming in those any more than I am."

"That is accurate, and I have as well."

He'd thought it … odd, that he had found friendship with this witch. The movie they'd seen with the Prins family was the first thing they'd done outside of Hogwarts, or even for that matter out of this lab. This past summer there had been two movies, neither of which were uncomfortable even if they didn't know exactly what they were doing. He still wasn't sure.

He firmly believed somehow in these last months of her education that Draco Malfoy (or someone like him) would decide he wanted to pursue her. He'd been surprised the wizard hadn't, truthfully. Despite her blood status. He had to assume Lucius Malfoy could look past for the chance of producing capable offspring. Then, he didn't know Lucius Malfoy well. He was a pompous enough arse that maybe her blood status would be that big of a thing even still today.

"It is time for you to head back."

"Oh," she said. "Don't want to be responsible for you having to take points from your own house."

He chuckled. "I will see you tomorrow."

"Yes."

She set about cleaning up her station, ensuring everything she'd been working on was put away or put into stasis until likely Saturday when she'd get to it next.

"Good night, Severus," she whispered when she took her leave.

The room always felt … emptier after she left. Tonight it was different for some reason. He wasn't sure why, or what the feeling was. He didn't particularly like it, though. He gave up trying to get more work done for the night and put everything away before heading to his own rooms.

He doubted he'd ever understand how Hogwarts worked. These quarters were very much like the ones Erik had used for years. And yet, they had been moved from the Slytherin dormitory area to Gryffindor's to suit his needs. The decor had been updated as well to reflect Gryffindor versus Slytherin, but otherwise as far as the layout and such it was essentially the same.

He shed his robe and teaching attire, changing into something befitting his mood. From there, he walked to his fireplace and grabbed some floo powder. He stepped into the fireplace, tossing the powder down as he called out to go home. Severus now understood how he was able to floo back and forth. Erik was allowed to, and that connection had never been removed. As he was in reality Erik, the wards that allowed Erik to go home and back for years worked for him, too.

He stepped out of the fireplace into his living room. He still couldn't believe he'd originally been stuck at his parents' home. From the memories his older self had shared with him it hadn't been well cared for by him even after he'd taken it over. He hadn't specifically said but the impression he got was that both of his parents had died, which was the catalyst to him taking over the house. His mum did okay these days with the condominium-like dwelling she and his father lived in. It wasn't the Taj Mahal, but it wasn't a rundown shack either. (Yes, she was still with him. He'd never understand that, and it was honestly the reason for his … inability to completely put the past behind him. She stayed, even now.)

This home, though, was his. He went to his stereo, turning on a classical station he was fond of, humming along to Finlandia, Op. 26 by Jean Sibeliuis as he walked to his bar and poured himself a glass of wine.

Like his older self, he didn't allow himself to drink too much. He didn't like what it did to him. He didn't ever want to become his father. A life of solitude in a remote castle lent itself for doing just that. He, in fact, kept no liquor in his quarters at Hogwarts. Periodically, though, he enjoyed going to his muggle home, sitting in his chair near a window with a glass of wine, overlooking the small orchard behind his home and turning his mind off.

Tonight was one of those nights.

****

"You chickened out," Harry said when she came down from the girls' dormitory rooms in her standard robes.

She rolled her eyes. Of course he would think that. She, however, was going for the ultimate effect tonight. Conceited? She didn't think so. She just liked the idea of surprising everyone.

"No, I did not," she said with a lift of her chin. "I just don't want anyone to see my costume before we get to the Great Hall and meet up with Draco."

"I still can't figure out how you convinced us to do this," he muttered.

She slid her arm around his shoulders, kissing him on the cheek before resting her head against his shoulder. "Because you love me, and for once I wanted to have fun at one of these blasted balls."

"You haven't before?"

"Not particularly," she said. She'd had fun at the Yule Ball, but this was different. She didn't have a date tonight that no one expected her to be coming with. It was just her, and for the first time she felt … fairly good about herself, and the path she was on.

"I don't even want to know what you had to do to convince Draco to do this."

"I told him all the muggleborn girls would swoon."

"Really?" he asked, sounding dubious.

"Really."

"That was all it took?"

"Pretty much, yeah." Harry knew that was true, too. Draco liked to make witches swoon. She believed that was why they were able to be friends. She was one of the few witches in the castle who didn't swoon at one point over the last seven years.

"Are you going to swoon?"

She scoffed. "Hardly. He's not my type."

Harry knew that was true. They'd talked about Draco a couple of times. Harry thought his behaviour in first and second year was the equivalent of a boy pulling on a girl's pigtails because he liked her but didn't know how to tell her. Hermione didn't think that was true. Maybe Draco had said something to Harry to make him think that, but she didn't push for such details. She really didn't want to know. They were friends. That was good. She didn't want to ruin it with … feelings.

He eyed her curiously. She was so glad that in this time, like Marie originally, their friendship was just that. It wasn't steeped in attraction or drama. They were friends.

"Who is your type?"

"Dunno," she said, knowing she was being cheeky, but she didn't care.

She'd always thought that there was something wrong with her that she had such a difficult time finding anyone she felt remotely compatible with. Even Viktor. He was attractive and he wasn't stupid, but there was a definite gap in interests. He loved quidditch, which she was fine with. He, however, was not big on reading. To Hermione, she couldn't imagine not getting immersed in a book. He wasn't dumb or anything, but she had this idea of someone.

Relaxing.

Being able to work or read without conversation filling silences, and not being turned off by that. Looking back at it, she could admit that her interest in Viktor was in part curiosity on her side. Stephen's sudden change of heart, which she understood now much better than she had then, made her think she'd done something wrong. It was a relief to realize now that she hadn't misread him, but at the time it had left her wondering if there was something wrong with her. Viktor showing interest in her was new and exciting. She'd wondered what kissing someone would be like. It had been … nice, but his kisses hadn't made her feel as she thought kisses should feel. It'd been wet and rather sloppy. They'd been enjoyable. She would be lying if she denied that. She just expected to be so caught up in the moment as to not notice such things as the way the kiss actually felt.

"I'll let you know when I figure it out."

The Fat Lady told them they had a visitor so they went out to the hallway, finding Draco. Not a complete surprise since he was the third in their trio for tonight's costumes. However, she thought they agreed he'd meet them outside the Great Hall. Being Draco, he evidently decided to do his own thing. He looked, well, as hot as she imagined he would. He apparently knew it, too, because he was smiling and not scowling at her. She knew this based on his eyes. The mask he wore made it difficult to determine if he was smiling or not. She could acknowledge his attractiveness and not actually be attracted to him. There was a difference as far as she was concerned. Just like some people liking blueberry pancakes and others liking plain buttermilk ones. The blueberry ones can look nice but they just aren't to their taste or vice versa.

"What's this, Granger? You chicken out?"

"No, as I told Harry I'm waiting until we get to the Great Hall. I promise I have my costume on under my robes."

"Do you know what she looks like?" he asked Harry.

"Not a clue. I mean, I have a clue I guess because I'm familiar with who she's going as."

"Right. I have none," Draco said with a scowl.

There were times his being a pureblood was a disadvantage being friends with Harry and her. This was one of them. Harry while half-blood was raised magical, so she was somewhat surprised he was familiar with the comics they were borrowing characters from.

Evidently, though, James Potter was introduced to comics by Lily's father. And the interest was passed on from father to son.

"Ready then," she asked.

"I guess."

They attracted quite a bit of attention as they walked to the Great Hall. No doubt people were wondering why Hermione wasn't dressed up when Harry and Draco very obviously were. She wasn't sure why she wanted to wait until getting there to show her costume. Other than that for the first time people would be looking at her for what she was wearing one hundred percent and not who her date for the night was.

She took a deep breath once they approached the doors to the Great Hall.

"Ready, boys?" she asked, as she removed the glamour to her head that kept that part of her costume from view. That done, she nodded her head as her two escorts reached for the doors, Harry on her right with his right hand and Draco on her left with his left hand. She vanished her robes at the same time as the doors opened.

"Holy shit, Granger," Draco hissed under his breath.

"Mouth, Draco! You're a superhero tonight. Batman doesn't cuss," she said, offering him a smile before turning to Harry who was gaping at her. "What?"

"Nothing, you look amazing," he said, flushing slightly she realized.

"Thank you, Harry," she said. That meant a lot coming from him. She knew he meant it, wasn't saying it because he thought he had to. "Now, let's go have some fun, meow," she said with a wink as she strutted off in her Catwoman costume.

When she'd gone to the dance with Viktor she'd been nervous, fretted over how she'd look, if the lipstick she chose was the right color, and whether she'd dance all right. She'd seen enough of the looks aimed at her to know that, despite thinking she was nothing but a frumpy brainiac witch, more than one wizard had looked at her for more than just a second. And liked what they'd seen.

She'd embraced that knowledge for tonight. She didn't care about any of the wizards in the room. She wasn't trying to get their attention or for them to notice her.

Except one.

She'd gotten the idea after Marie shared her memories with her, including the time she'd partially changed herself into a cat. Her mum probably thought she was crazy for pestering her about these costumes, but it was what it was. Looking at the two wizards she was with. They looked good. If Batman wanted to find a witch who needed to be saved, he would. The same went for Robin.

"Potter. How in the hell did she get the tail to…"

"You don't want to know," she said with a wink.

The costume wasn't exactly indecent. Every part of her was covered. It was just that the costume was rather form fitting so those parts were quite on display. It wasn't something she was accustomed to doing, flaunting being a woman. And the parts that made her that.

More than one set of eyes were on them. Purebloods trying to figure out their costumes. Half-bloods and muggleborns who knew, and were no doubt impressed because the three of them had gone all out. And a few just curious glances obviously wondering what had come over mousy Hermione Granger tonight. Draco being Batman would likely not surprise anyone.

"Do you want to dance then?" Harry asked, offering her his arm, which she took.

"Yes. Be good now, Batman," she said, rubbing her free wrist along her cat ear.

Dancing with Harry wasn't awkward, so she was glad he had asked her and not Draco. With Draco there was an underlying sense of … something on his part. Like Harry had commented, his ridicule in their first year had been just a little too much, as if he was trying to get her attention. Then when she'd started doing as Marie mentioned and listening, offering counterpoints to his points. Well, they'd slowly become friends. He truly was not her type, though, even if she wasn't interested in someone else.

Severus.

There were times she believed Draco's attitude, the pompousness, was an act. Something he did to please his father. She'd catch glimpses of who she thought might be the real him, but they were few and far between. She really didn't want someone who felt the need to please their father to the point of altering his behaviour. She was lucky, she supposed, she had parents who wouldn't expect her to be anything that she wasn't.

The headmaster seemed amused by her costume, which was a relief. She was afraid he'd deduct points or something. Some of the other professors were clearly trying to figure out who they were.

And Severus?

He looked amused, angry, and aroused all at the same time. She liked that she was responsible for those looks, even the angry one. She knew he wasn't angry at her.

"Who's that with Professor Snape?" Hermione asked Harry when she noticed that there was someone standing next to him.

"Oh, Remus Lupin. He's friends with my dad, my godfather, and Snape."

"Professor Snape, Harry," she said automatically. She blushed a bit at the look in who she now knew was Severus' best friend's eyes. Aimed at her. Evidently he liked what he saw, too. Hmm. Would Severus be bothered by that?

"He's a werewolf," Harry whispered in her ear.

"I've heard," she said. Remus Lupin wasn't spoken about much when people spoke of werewolves, so while she knew of his affliction, she didn't know anything about the man.

She only knew stories about Greyback, and others like him, she'd never met one. She'd certainly never imagined one hanging out at the Hogwarts' Halloween ball. Interesting. Then she supposed he attended Hogwarts as a student.

Was he here to see Severus? He hadn't mentioned it last night. He'd mentioned Remus a few times over the years, but she'd never met him or even seen him until now. He certainly hadn't mentioned his best friend was going to be here tonight.

"Punch?" Hermione asked once the song ended. It was a plausible excuse for her to head over in that direction.

"Sure, I'll…"

"No, I'll get it, I think I see Cho over there," she said and Harry blushed a bit. The two had been dancing (no pun intended being at a dance tonight) around their attraction for years now. "Go talk to her. You have a perfect ice breaker, she'll want to know about your costume."

"I wish I was Batman now."

"Why? Robin is a superhero, too."

He scowled, but adjusted his mask a bit before heading in the direction of Cho Chang. Hermione made her way to the table with the punchbowl. She was feeling a little uncertain now that she was approaching him. Would he truly be angry? It wasn't as if he'd formally said he even liked her.

"Just what are you supposed to be, Miss Granger?" Severus said from where he was standing. He was trying to sound scathing, but she'd gotten to know his tone working with him over the years so knew he was teasing.

Not angry then. Would Remus Lupin know that, too?

"Catwoman," she said. "Draco is Batman, Harry is Robin. I was going to have Draco be Joker, but I couldn't figure out a villain that would suit Harry. Bane?" She shrugged. "So, here we are."

His eyes traveled around the hall, obviously finding her two cohorts before returning his attention to her.

"You don't like it," she said with a faux pout. She knew very well that he did.

"It is not my place to like or dislike your costume, Miss Granger, but you have done an acceptable job of capturing her."

"Well, that is high praise, Professor. Thank you," she said.

She felt a push into her mind and had to fight to stop from pushing him out. She recognized it was him in her mind by now from their lessons. As he'd never done so in a situation like this before, she figured there was a reason.

"Now I see why you didn't inform me of your choice in costumes prior to this evening."

"Oh?"

"Yes, I would have known to have extra hexes in my arsenal."

She laughed softly, knowing she was blushing at that statement.

"Aren't you going to introduce me, Severus?"

"Of course, forgive my rudeness. Hermione Granger, Remus Lupin."

He took her hand, bringing it to his lips and kissing it.

"It is a pleasure, Miss Granger."

"You as well, Mr. Lupin. Professor Snape speaks very highly of you."

"That is exceedingly good to know."

"I take back everything I said," Severus murmured and Hermione bowed her head to hide her smile.

"Well, anyway, I don't want Harry to die of thirst," she said, gesturing to the glasses of punch she'd come here to get. "I hope you have an enjoyable evening, Mr. Lupin. Professor."

"You as well, Miss Granger," he said.

She took her three cups of punch and headed to where Harry and Cho were.

She was surprised a couple of hours into the festivities that Erik approached her.

"Miss Kyle, may I have this dance?"

"Sure," she said, beaming at him that not only did he know about Catwoman but was familiar with her given name too. She set her hand in his offered one with a polite bow of her head.

"I'm not sure I've ever seen you dance with anyone but your wife at these things," she said.

"I don't, and as the headmaster can't possibly believe I'm doing anything improper by doing so with you tonight, it seems that I couldn't resist this year."

"Oh?"

There was what she guessed was amusement in his eyes. She didn't know this man very well, but knew Severus well enough to detect when he was amused. Evidently, the look would be the same seventy years from now.

" He cannot, so I hope that I am a suitable substitute for this dance."

"You are, of course."

"And if it gets under his skin a little bit that I am personally aware of what lies beneath the costume quite well by now. All the better."

She laughed softly, knowing she was blushing. And yet a thrill washed over her that Severus might be curious to know. And she liked that this man wasn't ashamed to admit he loved everything about his wife. They had five children together. Clearly they had sex. She hoped seventy years from now she still had an active sex life, whoever she ended up with. "You're bad."

"It's not very often I get the opportunity to make someone jealous at my age. It appears Remus Lupin may be helping me out in that department, too."

"I beg to differ. I think anyone would be jealous of all that you have achieved, personally and professionally."

"You are indeed very much like her, and too kind."

"Nonsense."

"So, what made you come up with this costume?"

She laughed softly. "Well, Harry owled me shortly before this year began because he doesn't get to muggle stores very often."

"Right."

"It was right before Marie visited me," she smiled then. "I hadn't responded to him, but knew it was up to me to get the costumes, whatever we decided. Based on one of her memories. It seemed a cat was called for. There was no way I was going to get Draco and Harry to dress as animals. So, catwoman it was."

"It is admittedly clever. Seventy-five years, and when I need to laugh, I can call that memory up."

"Really?"

"Oh, truly. I had very little to … amuse me at that point in my life. So, yes, really."

"Does she know that?"

"I think she suspects."

"I won't tell."

He bowed his head, lips lifting into an amused smirk. "Thank you for keeping my secret."

The song came to an end and he released her. "Thank you for the dance, Hermione. I'd make it two, but I don't want to be on the receiving end of a hex. From him, or from her."

She laughed softly. "Understood. Good night, Sir, and thank you."

"Erik."

"Yes, sorry, thank you, Erik. Have a good night."

"You as well."

"That wasn't weird at all, eh," Draco said as she made her way to where he was standing with Harry, Cho, and Parvati.

"What?"

"Dancing with Prins," he said.

"It's Professor Prins and he's nice, Draco, and a more than capable dancer."

"He's old."

"Draco. And probably knows more about potions and Hogwarts than anyone else in this room, aside from Professor Snape and Headmaster Dumbledore. Show the man some respect."

"My father says…"

She rolled her eyes. She could imagine what his father said about Erik Prins. She also suspected that Professor Prins had been none too … easy on Lucius Malfoy when he was a student based on the fact Marie had told her that Draco's father had been one of the primary recruiters of Severus to the Dark Lord's side. Couple that with they'd willingly and freely welcomed four muggleborn wizards into their home.

"Does your father know what you're dressing as for Halloween, Draco?"

"No," he said, sounding sullen.

She knew full well that Draco hadn't told Lucius Malfoy. His father would likely punish him if he found out he was dressed as a muggle superhero. Draco would do whatever he could to escape being punished. He wanted to do his own thing, but didn't want to cut the purse strings that went with being a Malfoy. Their friendship was as far as he would push. Hermione had no idea if Lucius Malfoy was even aware how close they were these days, or if he assumed she was just a hanger on.

"Do you think Professor Prins' kids had to hide what they wanted to dress as for Halloween? I can assure you they did not. One of his sons writes muggle music and is quite successful. He asked me to dance, I get along with his wife. They're nice people. I don't care how old they are."

"Of course because you both love the library."

"Well, yes," she said. "Professor Snape is one of the top potions professors in the world, Draco. Where do you think he got it from? The man deserves some respect no matter how old he might be."

"You're right. I just don't see him dancing with anyone else."

"He liked my costume. I could have given Harry the Batman costume, you know," she said.

"But then what would I have been?"

She snorted. "You would have been the sidekick, Draco."

He looked aghast for a moment, as if the thought hadn't occurred to him that she might do that. Of course he'd paid for the costumes, so she probably wouldn't have delegated him to Robin when he was footing the bill. She and Harry had talked about it, they both agreed Draco would have to be Batman. He wouldn't know, but he'd find out eventually, and he'd get them back somehow for making him dress as anyone but Batman. They'd both known it. Harry hadn't had a problem with it because he was good that way.



Eventually, the night drew to a close and she made her way to her dormitory.

"Miss Granger," Severus called to her from the office he used for his duties as head of their house.

"Uh oh," Harry whispered. "He can't deduct points for your costume, can he? It doesn't even really show anything!"

"I don't know. I'll see you later, Harry," she said.

"Do you want me to wait?" Harry asked.

"No, I'm sure it's nothing. Go on. I'll see you tomorrow. Thank you, Harry, for a lovely night," she said, kissing his cheek.

"Thank you. It was pretty fun."

Of course Harry thought so. He finally not just talked with Cho, but danced with her. They hadn't kissed that Hermione had seen, but they'd finally gotten over the hurdle of talking to one another. Hermione was so glad!

"Close the door, Miss Granger," he said once she entered.

She did as instructed, swallowing a bit. God, was he mad after all? She hadn't thought he'd get mad. It was just a costume, and yeah it was suggestive, but as Harry just said it didn't actually show anything!

He stood, leaning against the wall opposite the door. His hands were clasped in front of him as he looked at her. He wasn't wearing his robes. He hadn't worn a costume, which wasn't surprising. The look in his eyes made her feel like prey. She swallowed again, feeling a little vulnerable at the moment. She could admit, she liked that look in his eyes, though. He pushed off from the wall and walked toward her.

"You were cutting it very close to getting back after curfew."

"I wasn't the only one," she said softly. That couldn't be what he'd called her in here for. Was it? To talk to her about curfew on the night of a school event?

"You are the only one I wished to see," he said.

She gave a soft breath out of relief. He wasn't mad!

"You were waiting for me?"

He circled her and she blushed, knowing he was looking at her and it was very much in the way a man looked at a woman.

"The tail was a nice touch," he murmured. She'd charmed the tail to swish and move as a cat's tail might.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"May I?" he asked.

He was behind her so she couldn't see him, and wasn't sure what he was asking for her permission to do. It didn't really matter, though. She knew he wasn't asking to do anything wrong. He wouldn't do that.

"Yes," she said.

She shivered as she felt the pad of his finger swipe at her shoulder blade. The fabric was thin enough that she could feel it.

"If I left you with the impression that your costume was anything less than tantalizing, I apologize."

"No need to," she said, swallowing hard.

"I saw you dance with Erik."

"Yes," she murmured.

"I am glad that you were able to do so with one of us."

"Me, too," she whispered. "He's not the one I would have preferred, though."

"Me either. I think he enjoyed taunting me."

"I think you may be right."

"I found myself jealous of my mentor who is seventy years older than me, because he could touch you and I could not. Not to mention my best friend being able to ogle you and kiss your hand without fear of reproach from his boss."

His hand slid lower along her back to her hip and then up her arm before he stepped in front of her.

"Happy Halloween, Hermione," he said.

"You, too, Severus," she said, meeting his gaze.

Suddenly her robes were around her shoulders - and they were her robes - and she shuddered as she felt him draw them around her.

"If asked, you can say that I lectured you about appropriate attire and example setting."

"You think it's inappropriate?"

"No, but I would if anyone else wore it."

"Oh," she said.

"I think I will need to have some good discreet hexes on me for the next little while."

"Why?"

He chuckled with a scoff. "It was bad enough when I had to worry about wizards wondering what is hidden under your robes. Now they have a hint. Remus contemplated asking you to dance! My best friend, and I couldn't have stopped him from doing so."

"They weren't the ones I wanted to see."

"I know."

He leaned down then, kissing the top of her head. She shivered a bit at the gesture. She'd seen Erik do this to Marie many times over the past few years. He'd done it to her even a couple of times. "Get some sleep. Thank you for an uncomfortable, yet pleasant evening."

"I hope you have good dreams, Severus."

"You have given me some fodder to that end for sure."

She paused at the door, her hand on the knob.

"You liked it?"

"Very much so."

She nodded then, smiling a bit as she left his office. She hadn't done it with him in mind, but she was glad that he liked it.

Return to Top

Part 41 | Part 43

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com