***Chapter Twenty-Four***

"Thank you for dinner last night, Hermione," Minerva said as they met in the hall on their way to breakfast.

"You're welcome, Minerva."

"Your friend had a good time?"

"She did. Draco took her flying."

"Oh, I bet Mr. Malfoy enjoyed showing that to someone."

"I think you're probably right," Hermione said.

She'd never considered things Draco might enjoy before, but taking someone flying who never had been probably was just that for him. She'd gone to Buffy's castle before breakfast this morning just to be sure she got home okay (not that she didn't trust Draco wouldn't do that). That wasn't the only reason she'd gone. Harry and Ginny had flooed her this morning, asking if Buffy might want to spend the day with them. So, she was spending time with Harry and Ginny today. She wasn't sure how she felt about her separate friends spending time together, separate in that Harry and Ginny were from her magical world and Buffy was from her time away from the magical world.

She'd never truly envisioned those worlds colliding even with Severus involved with her because Severus went with her to California. Buffy hadn't come here. It was odd. Not bad, just odd.

She wasn't sure why Ginny wanted to show Buffy around, but it took some pressure off Hermione. She was busy this week and was feeling a little stressed because she knew Buffy did want a bit of a break before she set about finding all of the potential slayers who were now slayers. She knew some time at the Burrow was in the works. She wondered how Buffy would feel about how … busy the Weasley house was, especially after the crowdedness of her house on Revello Drive the past few months. Other than that, she had no idea what they were going to do.

"Well, I'm glad it worked out. I admit I was a little cautious as to how the night might go."

"Me, too," Hermione admitted and Minerva slid her arm around her, giving her a gentle squeeze. Hermione appreciated the comfort. It could have gone horribly. Hermione knew she could get along with Draco for an evening. The others she was not as certain about.

"Not much time left now, is there? Are you both all set?" The headmistress gave a cheeky grin with the question. Likely she realized she was talking to and about Hermione Granger and Severus Snape. Two people who prepared and organized down to how many flower petals should be on a rose to ensure symmetry in their bridal bouquet and boutonniere.

"Yes. Though Severus still won't tell me where we're going on Sunday," Hermione said.

Secretly, she was thrilled that he was going to such a great effort to thoroughly surprise her. She had no clue. He even had an elf pack her bags with what she'd need so she had no idea if there were clothes suitable for Antarctica or Hawaii in them. He had the portkey and had requested it alone so she really was clueless.

"Hmm," Minerva said. "He's managed to keep it a secret this long?"

"He has," Hermione said. She glanced sharply at Minerva then. "Wait, you know?"

"I said no such thing," she said, glancing at Severus.

"She's simply surprised that you haven't somehow charmed it out of me."

"Well, I haven't tried that hard," she said with a soft laugh.

"So you want to be surprised then?" Minerva asked.

"I am looking forward to it," she admitted. A good surprise was pretty exciting and she had no doubt that whatever it was Severus planned it would be good and exciting.

"Well, I have no doubt that whatever your groom has planned, I will enjoy hearing about it when you return."

"I'm sure I'll enjoy telling you."

"I quite looking forward to hearing about a surprise that Severus planned so apparently thoroughly."

"Yes, me, too," Hermione said.

"And your friend Buffy. She didn't find us too raucous?"

"No," Hermione said with a laugh. "I think after the last year she had she's the expert on raucousness and found us rather tame."

"Interesting. There's a story there. Perhaps sometime over the summer you can fill me in."

"I will."

"I can understand why you grew fond of her."

"Can you?" Hermione asked.

"I can."

"You know, it's funny. I think if I'd met her under normal circumstances I wouldn't have, and I realize this sounds terrible because now I do know her. I would have found her flighty and while she's not dumb, her apparent lack of studiousness would have driven me mad. When I met her, though, she was alone, feeling a little used and like the adults she should have been able to count on had let her down. She was working as a waitress and used to guys coming onto her all the time. So I think another female around her age made her a little more real."

"Mm, sounds like someone else I know at about that same time, wasn't it?"

Hermione smiled wryly. "Yes, well, we connected."

Minerva slid an arm around her shoulders again and squeezed. "I'm glad. It's good to connect and have connections."

"It is," Hermione said. "She's really the first friend I've made on my own."

"I don't know about that."

"I do. I had help with Harry and Ron. Ginny and Luna were because of Harry, Ron, and Neville," she shrugged. "I can accept that I don't make a very good first impression."

"Nonsense. You're serious. You'll find as you get older that others realize that's not a bad thing."

"Mm," Hermione said.

They took their seats at the head table.

"Good morning, Hermione," Severus said from his seat next to her.

He slid his hand over hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. No one paid much attention anymore. Everyone, students and staff alike, knew they were engaged. She wasn't sure how many knew they were getting married on Saturday.

"Good morning, Severus," she said, offering him a smile.

They'd seen one another already this morning, of course. They'd woken up beside one another and walked to breakfast together meeting the headmistress along they way. Other than Minerva no one at Hogwarts knew that they shared their quarters. Really Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Buffy were the only ones that knew. Hermione was pretty sure Draco didn't even know. He knew Hermione considered Spinners End home, but as he had been unable to leave the grounds of Malfoy Manor until the past six months or so didn't know much else. Understandably, he hadn't made Hogwarts one of his first stops post-house arrest.

"And how was your friend this morning?" he whispered.

"She was fine, Severus. She clearly enjoyed flying. They're both adults, and I don't see her falling into bed with someone. Not even Draco."

"Not even Draco, hmm? You are lucky I'm not jealous."

"Am I?"

"Yes," he said succinctly and she swallowed a bit at that.

"I think it's probably Draco who's the lucky one, not me."

"Perhaps."

"No perhaps about it," she said.

"So is there anything on our agenda for today?"

"Other than our classes, no," she said.

"No dinners or socializing with the wedding party?"

"No," she said. "Ginny and Harry promised to keep Buffy company, and I assume busy. So, they'll get her back home. You're the one who wanted a wedding, you know. Part of a wedding is being social."

"I admit I didn't realize how much so, not having been involved with one for a number of years."

"Lucius'?"

"Mm, yes, and I just showed up where and when he told me to."

"It was also exclusively wizarding."

"It was."

Naturally. At least that's what his tone told her. Of course it was. She imagined it wasn't just exclusively wizarding but probably mostly Dark Lord followers as well. She was sure there were a few guests who were not, but likely not many.

"Was Narcissa pretty?"

"She was, I'm sure. It was a long time ago," he said. There was no admiration or affection in his response. She loved that about him. "I have no doubt that you will put her to shame."

"That was very sweet, Severus," Rolanda said from next to him and Severus chuckled.

"I can be when it's required of me."

"It is now?" the flying instructor asked.

"If I don't want to live in fear for the rest of my life? Yes."

She laughed heartily and Hermione shook her head.

"I asked if she was pretty, I didn't ask if she was the prettiest bride you'd ever seen."

"Is that not, in essence, the same question?"

"Bastard," she murmured.

"And you kiss me with that mouth, Miss Granger?"

She leaned in then, ensuring no one else would be able to hear. "I do much more than kiss you with this mouth, Mister Snape."

"All of which is most enjoyable."

"Good answer."

"That one was not said because I knew it was the right answer, it is true."

"And just happened to be the right answer?"

"I have no control over that."

She watched him for a moment and then turned her attention out to the students, watching as they ate for a moment. She shook her head as she regarded him again.

"What?" he asked,

"Nothing, trying to wrap my mind around the fact that we're really getting married on Saturday."

"Hmm. Should I be worried that you are getting cold feet?"

"No, it's just," she shrugged, gesturing to the Gryffindor table. "If anyone had told me twelve years ago…"

"I would have assumed they were joking. Not because of their choice in my bride. I mean, I never contemplated a bride and I assumed I would not survive long enough to think about one. When you started I was thirty-one, not quite a confirmed, crusty old bachelor yet."

"You're not crusty or old now, I assure you."

"I'm glad you think so, but yes it would have been because of the fact that you were seated there," he said, indicating the tables.

"It doesn't bother you now?"

"No. I think," he said, obviously stopping to think about what he was going to say. "I think your being gone as you were helped in that. I think if you'd gone from being my student to an apprentice or something else in my everyday life that I wouldn't have been able to suss out or accept that there was a difference."

She nodded. "I can understand that."

"You two know that you have the rest of your lives to talk," Rolanda said.

"Of course," Severus said. "However, I'm marrying her now because I enjoy talking to her. If I didn't we wouldn't have gotten to this point."

"So, when will one of yours be sitting out there," Rolanda said, gesturing to the tables.

"Oh, in exactly twelve years," Hermione said. "We're getting married in early July to ensure that he, because of course it will be a boy, will be born at the beginning of the year and will be able to go when he's eleven."

Rolanda chuckled. "You're joking, and I know that only because if there is anyone who would not have a baby ten months after getting married, it's you."

"Thank you," Severus said.

"So, no hen party?" Rolanda asked.

"No," Hermione said. "I think we're going to the Three Broomsticks Thursday evening, but no. I imagine It will be Ginny, Luna, Buffy, and me at the house Friday night after the rehearsal and I expect we'll all be in bed very early."

"I do not expect them to be in bed very early," Severus said, managing somehow to sound both put out and amused.

"Minerva will let you all know about Thursday I imagine."

"Minerva's not taking Severus out?"

"Severus does not wish to be taken out," Severus said with a huff. "I've never understood the point. I don't need a last hoorah as if the rest of my life is going to be doomed and miserable. Quite the opposite I'd say."

Rolanda nodded, a glint in her eye that said she was amused. "I can understand that."



Hermione was in her classroom after her last class of the day. She always stayed an hour or so afterward. Some days she graded papers or worked on administrative tasks she had that could be done just as easily here as anywhere. Other times she straightened up the room after various activities. Other times, because she was who she was, she was caught up and merely stayed behind because the students were used to her being there. They weren't officially her hours, she wasn't required to have five a week but she liked being accessible.

Today she was ensuring everything was in its rightful place as she would not be back until later this summer. She'd be off tomorrow, and her students were all ordered to take their class time tomorrow and enjoy the free time. Outside. (She had no way of enforcing it, of course.)

A knock came to her door, unnecessarily. Everyone knew they could just walk in.

"Come in," she called out.

"Professor Granger," little Annie Hahn said.

She was a first year and Hermione was looking forward to being her head of house next year. She'd been a little shocked when Minerva offered her the position so soon, but she'd snapped it up. Who better to keep her husband and his house in check than herself?

"Hello Miss Hahn."

"Um, I just came to make sure there was no one else here."

"Nope, not today. I think it's the end of the year and my last day of it so everyone's pretty done."

Annie stepped inside the room completely then and soon after all of the Gryffindors were in the room. Her room wasn't quite made to be this full. She had, at the most, twenty to twenty-five students at a time. She understood why the group had sent Annie, she was the least suspect of the group.

Annie stepped forward then and handed Hermione a box. It was wrapped but not obviously a wedding gift.

"We wanted to give this to you. We're so excited you'll be our head of house next year."

The seventh years were there, too, she noted. Obviously she wouldn't be their head of house next year, but they'd been first years during her sixth year. Two of them were muggleborns and had been unable to attend Hogwarts their first year even if they'd wanted to.

"I am, too," she said. "May I open it now?" she asked.

Many answers overlapped, all affirmative so Hermione unwrapped the gift.

"Oh," she said. It was a nameplate she could put on her desk. And it said Hermione Snape. "Thank you," she said. "I guess the first years next year won't know who I am so this will tell them when I visit with them as their head of house."

Hard to believe the first years next year would only have been born around the time of her second year. She wondered how many would have had conscious memory of the war given they were only six or so when it ended.

"Have a good summer all of you," she said, setting the nameplate back in its box and placing it on her desk. "And thank you, really. I will remember all of you everytime I look at it."

They filed out after saying goodbyes and Hermione stared at the box for a moment.

All of her life she'd felt like the odd one out. She never felt as if she truly belonged, had been accepted, and she really didn't feel as if people understood her. Yet here were these seventy or so people, some of whom wouldn't even be here next year, telling her they wanted her as their head of house. She didn't have a traditional desk in her classroom so there was no place for a nameplate in here. The gift therefore had been obviously for that position not this one.

She picked up the box then and made her way to her fiance's classroom.

He looked up, engaging in much the same work she'd been doing before Annie and the others had come in.

"What is it?" he asked.

She took the last few steps to his desk and set the box on it. He scowled at her, but took the box and opened it.

"I don't understand," he asked. "This upsets you?"

They'd talked about what his expectations were as far as her taking his name. He hadn't particularly cared. She, on the other hand, absolutely cared. There was no one's else's name she'd want to take.

"No," she said. "All of the Gryffindors gave it to me."

"Ah," he said.

He closed the box, setting it aside before he stood and slid his arms around her.

"Well, you are kind of a Gryffindor legend and are now taking over as their head of house."

"I know, but," she said, hugging him tightly and letting her head rest against his chest. The beating of his heart against her ear was grounding, soothing. She took a deep breath. "I've never really known what it felt like to be … wanted."

"Really? If I do not make you feel wanted every single day, Hermione, then I am far worse at this than I imagined."

"You do. That's different. The Watchers Council, I mean I guess they picked me for a reason, but I was one of many. They needed me to ensure Acathla was going to stay dormant."

"They needed you to find their lost Slayer."

"That, too," she agreed. "Being needed for my brain, my researching abilities is not the same as being wanted."

"I understand," he said, kissing the top of her head. "I assure you, Hermione, you are wanted here. This is your home."

"I think I'm finally coming to terms with that."

She sniffled softly.

"I mean it's a stupid nameplate," she murmured.

"I happen to think there's nothing stupid about it. I, in fact, think it's an exceptional nameplate."

She snorted. "You would, Mr. Snape."

She knew he was teasing because he truly hadn't seemed to care if she'd wanted to keep Granger. He was, in fact, the one who brought it up. He thought her future might be easier if she kept Granger despite people knowing they were married.

"I wasn't even sure I'd made the right decision agreeing to be head of house."

"I know," he said.

They'd talked about that, too, at length. Hermione was not sure she wanted to teach for the rest of her career. Taking the head of house position seemed to be implying that she was interested in doing just that. She agreed with Severus' assessment that it would be good to be in the safety of Hogwarts while the newness of their marital status wore off. A few years from now they could look at options, for both of them.

No doubt Severus' reputation would rebound a bit once they were married. She hoped so anyway.

It was during that conversation that Hermione realized that was why he'd stayed at Hogwarts. It wasn't because he wanted to keep teaching. He admitted to enjoying the ability to teach without having to play favorites and be exhausted most of the time. He did not believe that educating others' children was truly his calling. He stayed, though, because it was safe. People who hated him couldn't get to him here. And, ultimately, despite keeping Spinners End and fixing it up after surviving the war.

Well.

He'd lived here for over all but two of his years since he was eleven years old.

Hogwarts was home. It was hard to leave it, even for Severus Snape.

"Are you ready for the Three Broomsticks then?"

"No," she said with a low sniffle against his chest.

"Well, I'm not sure this is something I can go to alone…"

"I wouldn't make you, and I'm joking. Of course I'm ready. Is it Saturday yet?"

"You are remarkably more calm than I expected."

"Well, I expect when you finally see me Saturday I won't be at all calm."

"I find that hard to believe, and I'm quite certain I won't be looking for that."

"No?"

"No, I'll be too busy thinking about the fact that this witch walking toward me is about to commit to spending the rest of my days with me."

"The rest of our days together."

"Yes, well…"

"Don't. Don't even joke or talk about one hundred years from now."

He sighed, sliding his hands along her back to her hips. "These are my thoughts, woman, I can think what I want when this captivating, insufferable, beautiful witch is about to become mine."

"The piece of paper doesn't make me yours, Severus."

"I am aware. I considered you my wife the moment I gave you that ring, though I know propriety and society dictate that it's not official without the paper and official words spoken."

"Me, too."

"All right, let's go be social then."

"Okay."

"Minerva has said that our rooms may be somewhat different next school year."

"Oh?"

"Well, no more hiding will be necessary."

"I suppose. I kind of liked the intrigue of it all," she said, giving a giggle.

"I very much want everyone to know it's our door you walk through every night and every morning."

"Mm, so it shall be."



The Three Broomsticks was closed to anyone who wasn't either involved with the wedding or friend to Severus or Hermione. Rosmerta was of course the bartender on duty to ensure the party was seen to well.

Every one of the professors and staff made their way to the pub to have a drink of their choice with the forthcoming bride and groom. Even Filch, much to the apprehension of any guest who'd been caught by him over the years. Hermione could tell that Severus was truly flattered. She knew for a fact Argus Filch was not there because of her.

"You treated him fairly, he told me once," Hermione whispered to him after Filch left.

"What?"

"He told me that everyone treated him differently because he was a squib. He says that you never did and he appreciated that."

"Funny, because I don't remember it that way. I don't remember treating him any differently than anyone else."

"Evidently you did something, somewhere along the line, Severus. Just accept the compliment instead of trying to figure out his reason for giving it."

"Understood," he said with a nod and she leaned in to kiss him.

It was well into Friday morning when they all finally left. Hermione made sure Buffy was with her since she was going home with her. Ginny or Luna could have apparated her, but they weren't spending the night tonight, too. Buffy was.

"Sleep well then, Witch," he murmured.

"You, too."

"Can we skip the rehearsal and just go right to the final production?"

"No," she said.

His lips curled up into his version of a smile and he leaned down to kiss her. "Very well. See you tomorrow then. I will miss you."

"I'll miss you," she said.

She watched him walk away in the direction of Hogwarts and her heart felt … heavy. She should be going with him. How had she gotten here? To the point of feeling as if she belonged to and with someone so completely that a night without him was intimidating.

"You going to be okay," Buffy asked, draping her arm over Hermione's shoulders.

"Yeah," she said.

"Thank you," Buffy said and Hermione turned to look at her.

"For what?"

"For letting me see that look in your eyes. I needed to see that."

"I saw you and Charlie Weasley were talking tonight," Hermione teased.

"We were. I met him earlier in the week. He trains dragons!."

Hermione chuckled. "He does. And Draco?"

"Oh, we had fun, he's nice but a little full of himself. I get the impression from Charlie that even though he belongs to all of this," she said, gesturing to their surroundings. "Because he's far away he feels like he's on the outside a bit, too."

"I noticed Draco didn't stay very long tonight," Hermione said. She hadn't thought about that when it came to Charlie. She supposed Buffy had a point. He was magical and a Weasley yet sort of on the outside of British wizarding stuff and the day-to-day Weasley activities.

"Too many Gryffindors he said."

Hermione laughed softly at that. She doubted that was the case. He'd been fine the other night at dinner with a slew of them in his house. She imagined that here there were all kinds of people who might still judge him. He wouldn't want that, wouldn't want to be a distraction for Severus' day.

"And you really did like flying the other night?"

"I did. Maybe it was the teacher, I don't know. That confidence he has was reassuring when I decided to get behind him on his room. That was probably one of the coolest things I've ever done."

"I know. Clearly, Harry, Ginny, and Ron all play quidditch and my friend Viktor. And they're not dead so I know you can fly without serious injury, but God I truly hate it."

"Anyway. He was nice, but I have no plans on seeing him after the wedding or anything."

"Did you show him your command center?"

Buffy chuckled lightly. "No, since he doesn't know what I am or why I need a command center." She shrugged. "I didn't want to explain and I'm going to be gone so much here coming up."

"I understand, Buffy. It's okay. I wasn't like planning a wedding or anything, honestly, I wasn't. I just wanted you to know that you could maybe find a friend again and it doesn't have to be steeped in badness. You need that and so does Draco truthfully."

"I'm so good at the badness, though."

"Not anymore. Remember? You're not the only one."

Hermione took them home then. They talked until late. Draco, as it turned out, had kissed her good night.

"Was it good?" Hermione couldn't help but asking.

"It was… nice," Buffy said.

"Oh?"

"Well, you have to understand. My experiences are Angel and Spike, I don't even want to think about how many times they've kissed in their existences."

"Right," Hermione said with a nod.

"And Riley. Who as nice as he was, was just not exciting. I liked him, and had I met him now I suspect my reaction to him would have been immensely different."

"Oh?"

"Yes. I wasn't completely over Angel and Mom was sick. Then throw in Dawn. I just wasn't ready for settling down. I'm not sure I am now either. I'm just going through a change in my very long-term commitment, so still not ready but more prepared now than I was two years ago. A part of me feels I dodged a bullet with him. I mean, he couldn't have known Sam that long before getting married. I want more of what you and Severus did, gradually work your way to the point of marriage. And as you say, it's not going to be with Draco."

"So, Draco's kiss was nice?"

"Yes. It was a kiss without him obviously having done it a thousand times before and without him thinking he was going to break me."

"Riley thought that?"

"I don't think Riley ever totally comprehended what my being the Slayer meant."

"I can't imagine how he could. Not really."

"You're right."

"And Willow?"

"She's fine. She seems good. Like I said, she did not want to do that spell. I think she realized ultimately that I trusted her and that's what gave her the strength to do it. I'm not crazy about her current girlfriend, Kennedy."

"The potential?"

"Yes," Buffy said with a shrug. "I don't dislike her. Our personalities I think clash for lack of a better word."

"Got it," Hermione said.

"I don't hate her, but I don't want to see Willow hurt either and I'm just not sure I see her sticking around with our group. Ideally, with as many slayers as there are we could deploy them all over the world. I'm hoping, with the Council's notes gone and everything, that maybe you can remember some of the places you traveled to. Those spots obviously should be our priority."

"Right," Hermione said. "Absolutely."

"I'm in no hurry," Buffy said, holding up her hand quickly. "Have your honeymoon, enjoy being a wife. I have to figure out how I'm going to find all these girls and women!"

"Well, maybe we can help with that, too."

"Willow's working on something, but yes, if you come up with any ideas we're open to hearing them."

Buffy looked at her then.

"If I haven't said it. If I haven't come out and said it. Thank you."

"Buffy. You have and I'll say it again. You have nothing to thank me for. I could say the same to you. I was talking to Minerva earlier this week and you're my first friend. I mean, the first friend I feel is mine legitimately from my own doing."

"Not your last. You're not nearly as awkward as you think. A bit imposing. I remember waiting on you for a few days. You were so obviously British and seemed a little uptight, which I understand given where that diner was in Los Angeles. I didn't know what to make of you. I'm not very good at making friends either."

"It's not easy when you have to lie to most anyone, is it?"

"No," Buffy admitted. "That was one of the things that let me kiss Draco the other night. I knew if it got to the point I wanted to tell him, as a friend, I knew he could keep a secret."

"Actually I think Draco would think it was pretty awesome. He'd probably want to duel with you."

"Really?"

"I imagine he would, yes. He'd want to see which would win."

"Hmm," Buffy said.

"You like that idea?"

"I can always use a good sparring session."

Hermione laughed. "I think you'd win. At first anyway. He was raised to be a gentleman, I think at first he would be afraid he'd hurt you."

"I get taken for granted so much because of my size," Buffy said.

"Same. And because I'm the brains, people think that means I don't know how to cast a spell or defend myself."

Buffy chuckled then as they both settled their heads against the back of the sofa.

"We should go to bed."

"I know," Hermione said.

"You're putting it off, aren't you?"

"I am," she admitted.

"Not used to sleeping alone any longer?"

"Nope," she said.

"Want company?"

"Yes!"

Hermione led her up the stairs then and they both got ready for bed. Buffy joined her in her room then.

"So, any last minute things you really want to do tomorrow as a miss?"

Hermione laughed, turning onto her side to face Buffy. "No."

"I'm not sure I'd have anything I'd want to do either."

"God, I'm almost twenty-four and you're twenty-two. And we're saying there's nothing we want to do one last time as a single woman. Are we old, Buffy?"

Buffy laughed as Hermione wandlessly adjusted the blankets around them and extinguished the lights.

"I think it just means we've led exciting lives so we don't need to do anything before we settle down for a quiet life."

"I like that," Hermione said. "Buffy."

"Hmm?"

"I'm glad you're here." There was more to the statement than her just being here for their wedding.

"I'm glad I am, too. I wouldn't want Willow to do it again, but I am glad she did then. I get to watch Dawn grow up. I get to see you get married. I get to watch Willow accept her magic and kick some ass. I get to experience Xander being in command. He and Willow, they make a good team when it comes to computer stuff. I get to know I'm no longer the only one and that Faith is safe. Those are all things worth living for."

Hermione smiled a bit, glad Buffy understood what she was implying. She was glad her friend was still here. Life was tough, no doubt about it, but Hermione just felt better knowing Buffy was living in it.

Return to Top

Part 23 | Part 25

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com