***Chapter Twenty-Three***

"And you are sure you want to do this?" Severus asked, adjusting his cravat.

He knew it bothered her that out among people he went out of his way to hide his scars. He wasn't vain exactly, but he had an intelligent and attractive witch who was younger than him marrying him a week from yesterday. It bothered him that anyone would question her as to why she would be choosing to commit to him in such a permanent way.

He was surprised four years later after that first letter of hers that they were here. He'd presumed when she left her employment with the Watchers Council and decided to return to the wizarding world that the closeness they'd forged would drift to the wayside. He hadn't expected it to happen immediately or anything, but just presumed she'd wake up and realize she could do so much better than a rather grumpy, more than rather scarred, wizard. She would return to Weasleys and Potters, realize she wanted more than he could offer her and Severus Snape would be a footnote or postscript in the life that was the brains of the Golden Trio.

It wasn't physical means of offering either. No, he could provide for her just fine. He was not the nicest of men, though he was striving to be … better. He was not a social creature either, and he knew marrying him would cast a tarnish on her that other chosen lifemates would not do.

Yet here they were. Less than a week away to committing to spend the rest of their lives together.

Draco had offered up Malfoy Manor when Hermione had mentioned the wedding party getting together tonight for dinner. The fact that Buffy was in town rather unexpectedly made the impromptu event seem not unusual in the least. He couldn't deny he suspected something afoot at her casual acceptance of the dinner being at Draco's home. He knew the house did not hold positive memories for her.

Then he supposed he had bad ones to call upon from there, too, so she figured if he could do it so could she.

Or there was something afoot, though he couldn't imagine what.

They had the gifts for their wedding party as well and both agreed to do that tonight so if anything happened this week where plans fell through they'd done their jobs as it were.

"Yes. Why not?"

"You've never in three years been at all enthusiastic about gracing Malfoy Manor with your presence."

He had to broach the subject. He would not have it come back on him that she hadn't wanted to be in that home days before their wedding.

"No time like the present."

The response was so casual and dismissive.

Too casual and dismissive. He glanced at her reflection from the mirror he stood in front of with a slight scowl.

"You are up to something."

"I don't like the implication, Severus. Maybe I just want to have one night with you and our friends. And they are our friends. Before the week starts. It's dinner at your godson's home."

He glanced at her and sighed. He knew there was more to it than that, but he'd take her at her word. He couldn't see a downside to her agreeing to do this after all. She wasn't going to set foot in Malfoy Manor and start a duel with Draco or anything. She was more … couth than that. So while he suspected there was something going on he wasn't aware of he had to assume it was nothing bad.



Dressed and armed with the gifts for everyone they left Spinners End. Hermione apparated to the property Buffy was staying at while Severus went to Malfoy Manor. He wondered not for the first time since the Slayer told them about the castle the Watchers Council owned just how deep that entity's pockets had been. Because it wasn't just that they had access to a castle. From what Hermione told him after her catch-up session with Buffy it was habitable despite obviously having been empty for quite some time.

Then after the past year she'd had in Sunnydale she might have had similar views on what constituted habitable accommodations as some who survived the war with damage done to their domiciles. Or for that matter, his childhood home and the disrepair he'd let it fallen into just out of spite to his parents. Habitable in his view was quite different to someone like Draco.

"Godfather," Draco said when he opened the door.

"Draco."

"You look nice."

Severus scowled, glancing at his clothes. "I'm not wearing anything unusual." He wasn't. It was pretty much his typical attire. Black. And black.

"No, but your hair is a little … neater and you are freshly shaven."

"Hermione prefers me that way."

"Ah well, I will congratulate her then for getting you to do what my mother tried to get you to do for years. At least according to her."

"I had no desire to kiss or be kissed by your mother, Draco. At any time of day. So her preferences were not my concern."

"That is most excellent to hear," he drawled. "Won't you come in. Lovegood's here as are Neville, Bones, and McGonagall."

Severus found it interesting Mr. Longbottom was Neville to Draco but the others had not earned that. Neville had killed Nagini, the final horcrux. He supposed that was something his godson would appreciate. He'd had the Dark Lord in his house for months! He'd been tasked with killing someone.

Yes, Draco was probably quite relieved that Nagini had been dealt with.

"All right," Severus said, following Draco to the parlor where the others were already seated and drinking something; Elven wine it appeared by the color of the beverage and the type of glasses Draco's elves provided.

"Severus," Minerva called out.

"You act surprised to see me."

"I thought for a moment it might be a trick."

Severus smirked. "It is not. My fiancee will be here soon with the muggle member of our wedding party. I imagine the Potters will be here shortly as well. Miss Lovegood," he said with a polite bow of his head. "You are looking lovely this evening."

Lovely for Miss Lovegood was relative. Different. She always looked different, right down to her accessories. That didn't mean he wasn't sincere in his compliment.

"Thank you Professor Snape. You are as well."

"Are our nuptials taking you away from anything of import?"

"No, Sir."

"Severus, please, you are no longer my student."

"Then Luna, please, and no. I managed to clear my schedule. I've been home for about a week, catching up with my father."

"Good," he said. There was a part of him, now, that wanted to throttle her father for betraying Hermione, Potter, and Weasley. He was not a father so he couldn't speak from that, however, if he knew today that if someone had Hermione captive he'd do whatever it took to get her back. So, he was willing to forgive Xenophilius for what Severus considered a betrayal to the Order.

"Longbottom," he said with another bow of his head. He was not the only one who noticed his tone lacked the usual … disinterest in addressing the wizard. "Miss Bones."

He hadn't realized the dinner would include dates, but he imagined it went without saying these days. Everyone, except Draco and Minerva anyway, had a significant other.

The small group was joined by the Potters and Ronald Weasley (with a date). Eventually the bride-to-be and her friend arrived.

"Sorry," she said when Draco led them to the parlor. "You wouldn't believe the computer equipment Xander already has set up." She glanced at everyone in the room, and looked frustrated for a moment. Her eyes went from Harry to Severus. "You two will get it. He's like Nick Fury."

Harry chuckled as did Severus. As she assumed, no one else understood the reference. A few of their group wouldn't understand why they'd need computer equipment or who Xander was. Never mind any idea who Nick Fury might be.

"Anyway, everyone this is Buffy Summers. She's from America and we met while I was working the job I had after the war. Buffy, this is our wedding party. Luna Lovegood is my other bridesmaid. Ginny Potter is my matron of honour. Minerva McGonagall is Severus' best woman and Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy are his groomsmen. And our ushers are Neville Longbottom and Ronald Weasley. Their dates are Susan Bones and Maggie Sutton."

Severus had actually never met Miss Sutton before. He'd heard about her, Hermione seemed to approve so Severus vowed to be polite. If Ronald Weasley was happy perhaps he'd be in better spirits all around and quit being lukewarm at best to his fiancee. Severus didn't particularly care. He'd had his fill of Weasleys as a professor. Hermione, however, wanted him around. His fiancee didn't say anything, but he knew it bothered her that while things were better, Ron was still somewhat aloof.

He wanted his soon to be wife to be happy in all aspects of her life. That included the status of her friendship with Weasley. Sadly this was not something he could fix, as he was the problem and the two wizards were not going to ever be … friends. Even he had limits.

He noticed that due to the fact they were somewhat in mixed company, Mses Bones and Lovegood as well as Draco for that matter were not aware of Buffy's calling, Hermione had glossed over just who Buffy was and how they'd met. Just like her friendship with Harry and Ron there was a certain kinship, a bond formed, when your life was on the line with someone else. Add to that their initial friendship was forged after emotionally trying times for both of them. Severus understood that. It was one of the reasons he accepted that Harry and Ron came with his fiancee.

They were a package deal.

Hermione and Buffy had that as well. Hermione may not have fought beside her against every vampire and demon she'd come up against, but Hermione had offered her assistance more than a few times for a number of years and had fought beside her against Glory. She had stayed for a while after she'd died to ensure her preternatural sister was okay.

"Nice to meet you," Buffy said. "I've heard a lot about all of you."

"Pay no attention to anything Granger has said about me, Buffy is it," Draco said.

"It is Buffy," she said.

Severus noticed Buffy eyeing Draco a bit longer than necessary to respond to his statement. He wondered what she saw with regard to his godson. It wasn't lost on him that there were physical similarities between Draco Malfoy and Spike.

"Short for anything?"

"Nope, I'm just Buffy," she said with a shrug.

Severus scoffed softly at that.

Just Buffy indeed.

Draco shot him a questioning look but he merely shook his head. There was no way he was going to be the one to spill any Slayer secrets.

"Where in America?" Longbottom asked.

"Los Angeles originally. I moved to a smaller town a couple hours outside of it called Sunnydale when I was sixteen."

"And now you're here in Britain?" Miss Bones asked.

"Yeah, just. Work brought me here just the other day actually," she said with a shrug.

"And you used to work with Granger?" Draco asked.

"Well, more or less," Buffy said.

"Doing what? No one has ever told me what Hermione did."

"Why don't we leave Buffy alone for a while instead of bombarding her with a million questions two minutes after she has walked into a new-to-her house full of strangers."

" You are telling us not to ask questions," Neville said. His tone was cheeky, teasing so he clearly wasn't expecting an answer. "Have you checked her for a head injury, Sir?"

Severus shook his head at that. And at the fact Longbottom still insisted on calling him sir.

Draco glanced from Hermione to Buffy and then to Severus. There was something going through his godson's mind. He recognized that look. Fortunately, there was no ill intent with the look today.

"But she knows you, Godfather. Hermione didn't include you in the introductions."

"She does," he said. "Hermione and I have vacationed in the Los Angeles area and visited Buffy a few times over the years."

"You went on a vacation? A few of them?"

Draco might have been the one to pose the questions, but he clearly wasn't the only one shocked by that revelation.

"Yes, Draco, we have. I walked where Janis Joplin walked. I sat where Mama Cass sat. Or if you're not familiar with them as they were American, The Kinks' Ray and Dave Davies. I touched the stage those I just named and so many others walked and played on. And I got to watch Hermione grow dark from the California sun on Venice Beach where Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek first met. What more could I ask for?"

"You left out what we did while we were disillusioned at that book store Jim Morrison was reputed to have shopped at."

"Granger!" Draco said. "My ears! My mind!"

Severus chuckled. The rest, minus Minerva who looked amused, were shocked silent.

"Yes, Dear, I didn't realize you wanted that relayed or it would have been the first thing I mentioned as certainly it was most memorable."

"Nice save," she said with a wink. "What was it you told me your mum thought about Giles, Buffy?"

Buffy laughed and Severus had no idea what was coming, but guessed it was going to be good for entertainment value at any rate. "That he was like a stevedore during sex?" Buffy said.

"Yes, that. Severus could give Giles a run for his money in that I think."

"Okay," Draco said. "I think we can all safely move to the dining room now just to get out of this conversation." This was followed by more than a couple of uncomfortable coughs and sidelong glances at Severus. Draco glanced at Hermione then. "A stevedore, really? Godfather?"

"I'm kind of surprised you know what a stevedore is, Draco, but I assure you even better."

Draco glanced at him then and Severus shook his head, giving him a little finger wave. Draco blushed then and Severus tilted his head back and laughed heartily.

Everyone in the room who wasn't Buffy or Hermione turned to stare at him. Both of them had seen him laugh before. Minerva had, too, but not often and not in this type of circumstance.

"He laughs too?" Ron said and Severus chuckled.

He stood then, going to Hermione and slid his arms around her. "I'm not sure what you were trying to do with that, but I think a thank you is in order."

"I was speaking the truth."

"As if you have..."

"I have an active imagination and I have friends who've told me stories. Trust me. Stevedore. You. I mean, if you think I'm not sure you can show me later and I'll let you know if I'm wrong."

"Gladly," he said, kissing her. "I do have you until Thursday, correct?"

"You do," Hermione said. "Buffy's probably going to spend the night Thursday or Friday. Maybe both."

"Should I be worried you're going to go out for a night of stevedore hunting the night before you are to become my wife?"

"Oh, yes, deeply worried."

"It seems they've all left us behind. Even Buffy," he said.

"Mm," she said. "Want to disillusion ourselves?"

He chuckled. "Not tonight. Not in this house."

"Why not?"

"No," he said dryly.

He couldn't explain it.

He would not, could not, think about her in that way in the home where she'd been tortured. The fact that she suggested dinner and was actually here shocked him. He couldn't do it and was quite sure that while being able to perform had never been an issue for him to this point even when he was exhausted. Well, he was pretty sure being able to sustain arousal here, knowing what she'd gone through, knowing quite intimately what the Dark Lord had done in this place… He wasn't going to say impossible but pretty near.

 Brown eyes met his and he saw understanding there. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking."

"You have nothing to apologize for. I'm not upset. Far from it. I just," he shook his head. "This is not the appropriate place."

"On the other hand, maybe some good memories to offset the bad ones…"

"We are embarking on that tonight, engaging in dinner with our friends. Shall we join them since they are here for us?"

"I guess they are," she said, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him. "I love you."

"And I you, Witch." He dropped his hand from her cheek and captured hers. "And I'm not saying never to your disillusionment idea. You're right, some good memories here would be nice. One day perhaps."

"I look forward to it."

He chuckled. "Somehow I suspect that you would."

Draco looked at them curiously when they entered the dining room and Hermione chuckled softly. They weren't gone that long. Dinner was served as soon as they sat down. Buffy let out a startled shriek when a plate suddenly appeared in front of her.

"I should have warned you," Hermione said. "Sorry."

"It's okay. I just wasn't expecting."

"If you're curious where it's made I could show you after dinner," Draco offered and Severus glanced at his godson curiously. Severus was pretty sure Draco didn't even know where the kitchens were. He could guarantee he'd never offered anyone a tour of them before in his life.

"Sure," Buffy said.

"Is it your first time in a magical home, Buffy?" Ginny asked.

"Yes," she said. "Willow, my friend, she is magical but her parents are not. At least that we know of." Buffy met Severus' gaze. "I've started to wonder if maybe they were and just hid it or maybe they were, um, squibs? Willow's so powerful I find it hard to believe it came from nowhere."

"Hermione's muggleborn," Ron said.

"Thank you, Ron," Hermione said.

"What? You are. And you're the smartest, one of the most powerful magical people I know. So being muggleborn has nothing to do with abilities. That's all I meant."

"I wouldn't have believed that fifteen years ago, Weasley, but you're right," Draco said. Severus let out a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure where this conversation was headed, but he hadn't liked it at all. "I actually feel kind of cheated."

"At what?" Neville said.

"If I hadn't believed all that rubbish Father drilled into me," he said, eyes fleetingly passing over Hermione. He disguised it well, looking at everyone but Severus had seen him linger on her for a beat longer than the rest. "Well, I might have been able to enjoy conversations with Granger instead of wanting to see her anywhere but at Hogwarts."

"Nothing says we can't now, Draco," Hermione said.

"Well, now I have an image of you and my godfather…" he shook his head and laughed. "I'm joking. Of course you're right. And, Severus, if I haven't said it before now since my role in your wedding was actually contingent on Buffy being here for the wedding. Well, I am happy for you."

"Thank you, Draco."



Everyone but Buffy, Severus, and Hermione had left. It wasn't a bad dinner as meals went. The food was good and other than a few uncomfortable topics everyone seemed to speak freely. Buffy, clearly accustomed to having her own secret, did not ask a million questions about things that she evidently realized she couldn't be told. The benefit of someone new to their world leading a secret life of her own.

"So you really fly on brooms?" Buffy said as she and Draco were talking about quidditch. Hermione and Severus were perusing bookshelves as her friend and his godson talked.

"Yes. Your friend doesn't?"

"No."

"She did not attend magical school, Draco, nor was she fully educated in our ways until recently."

"I see," Draco said, though his scowl suggested that he truly did not see. He turned his attention to Buffy again. "Would you like to see?"

"I'd actually love to, but I think Hermione probably wants to get home," Buffy said.

"I can get you home," he offered. "If you want to see a wizard flying on a broom at any rate. Hermione doesn't fly. The brightest witch of her age and she's afraid of getting her feet off the ground."

"Draco," Severus said. How with one word his tone could betray the fact that if made to choose between his godson and his fiancee, Draco wouldn't be on the winning side.

Hermione set her hand over his forearm, squeezing a bit. "It's all right, Severus. He's teasing me. He's right." She shrugged. "I hate it. Flying on those thestrals was bad enough and I did that twice," she said, watching her friend and Draco. "It's up to you, Buffy. I can wait for you if you'd prefer."

"No, that's fine. As long as you're sure you don't mind, Draco."

Hermione scoffed softly and Severus squinted at her. She shrugged. Of course Draco wouldn't mind escorting her home. He was a warm blooded male and Buffy was a gorgeous, California blonde and quite unlike anything he'd ever seen before.

"Not at all. I want to see what had Granger all excited about computers anyway."

"Oh, well, if you haven't read comics you won't fully understand, but I'm sure Buffy can fill you in."

"So that's a yes to seeing broom flight?"

"It is," Buffy said.



"I feel as though we should stay," Severus said as they all stepped out of Draco's home. Draco and Buffy headed in the direction Severus knew would take them to a space sufficient for flying.

"Don't trust your godson?"

"Actually, while I might be generally inclined to say no with an attractive woman, I know that Buffy could defend herself. Draco wouldn't know what to do with brute strength."

"So what then?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. It feels like we're just leaving them."

"Well, they are adults."

"Was this your intent all along, little witch?"

"Mm, now I'm little witch?"

"Well, you are rather small in stature so it's not inaccurate."

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood tonight."

"I realize this is true."

"No, it wasn't. Well, maybe. Draco's not ready to settle down. We both know that. He's still trying to figure out where he fits in now that he realizes his parents weren't great."

"Yes, it is a very humbling thing to realize."

"Understood," she said, bumping her hip against his.

"So, did I hope that maybe they'd get along. Sure? Am I aiming for a Malfoy/Summers courtship ending in a wedding and babies? No. I just think that both of them could use some fun in their lives. Neither had much of it before now. And I also think that they both could learn from one another that the opposite sex isn't all they think it is. Buffy's been left by every man significant to her and I don't even want to think about the notions Draco had about a potential wife."

"Accurate."

Draco had been under house arrest after the war until recently. He was able to stroll the Malfoy Manor grounds, within reason. His familial funds had been closely regulated and monitored. His father had not escaped an Azkaban sentence and Narcissa had fled, presumably Britain entirely. There were rumours as to where she'd gone, but no one truly knew. Severus suspected Draco didn't even know, and he could see that fact was wearing on the wizard. Severus had some suspicions on where she might be based on their travel habits over the years, but nothing concrete. Draco hadn't asked and he hadn't offered in case he was wrong. He didn't want to get his godson's hopes up. He thought the younger wizard was having his mum leave him essentially high and dry pretty well, considering. He tried to stop by with some regularity, but he had a life and was busier than he'd anticipated being post-war.

He'd never taken more than a fleeting moment to think about what life would be like for him post-war. He never counted on surviving to find out. He certainly never envisioned trips to Los Angeles and potion ingredient collecting excursions around the world.

This witch was responsible for that divergence in his post-war plans.

His life.

"And if we do get a Malfoy/Summers courtship?" he asked.

He couldn't ask. She wasn't trying to matchmake, but you couldn't introduce two people as they'd done tonight with the intention of them possibly becoming friends without entertaining the notion they just might take that idea of friendship and run with it.

"You know as well as I do that while she'd very aptly keep him on his toes, she's as muggle as they come and Draco would not do that."

"Muggle but special."

"You have more faith in him than I do, Severus. I still don't see it. There's nothing wrong with friendship, and that's what I was hoping for. They both need to heal. He needs to see that muggle doesn't mean bad, that all women aren't going to latch onto him to get to the Malfoy fortune, and that like you say different people can bring different things to the table. She needs to learn that all men are not going to use her and leave."

"Well, Draco…"

"We'll see, won't we?"

"You are correct. I hope that he surprises me."



Buffy followed Draco further onto the grounds of his house. She had a hard time getting over the fact all of this property was his. And this wasn't entirely uncommon in the magical world from what Hermione said of old pureblood families.

"So, how brave are you?" Draco asked once he had a broom in his hand. A spell was in play she imagined because one moment his hand was empty and the next he extended it and there was a broomstick fitted against his palm.

She shook her head, having no idea what to even say. Hermione was pretty smart. If she didn't like flying…

Draco seemed to know exactly what she was thinking about because without waiting for a response he positioned the broom between his legs and just like that was in the air, flying.

She had to admit it looked kind of fun. She watched as he flew around a bit and she wanted to know what that felt like.

He must have known it, too, because soon he was beside her again. The broom was still nestled between his legs.

"Hop on," he said, gesturing with his head to the spot behind him on the broom where she would fit.

He smirked at her as she took a minute or so to decide.

"That's right," he said when she joined him, sliding her arms around his waist.

"I won't go too high or anything. Just tell me if it's too much. We'll stop."

"O-okay," she said. Was she really going to do this? Had Willow done this?

She let out a very undignified and girlie shriek as she felt her feet leave the ground. That should not happen!

"Oh my God," she cried out as they started to … move through the air. Literally that was what they were doing. She, Buffy Summers, was on a broom, flying through the air.

Eventually, she got used to the feeling. If one could get used to essentially floating through the air on a broom. She held on tight and watched the scenery. He pointed out this and that as they flew, none of which meant anything to her. He seemed to know that so didn't spend too much time explaining anything. Unless she asked.

"This is amazing," she whispered against his ear so that he could hear her. She rested her chin against his shoulder so she could see. It was oddly not at all uncomfortable. She did not get the impression that he was taking their closeness as any sort of invitation.

She appreciated that. She was not ready. Not at all. She could admit that. She wondered at times if Riley had come into her life now versus when she was eighteen if she would have been ready for what he wanted. She still wasn't sure it would have worked. He was far needier than Buffy could deal with, but with maturity (on both their parts) maybe he wouldn't have been as bad. And maybe she would have been more able to compromise.

She understood, though, why Hermione wanted her and Draco to meet. She wouldn't say Draco was the spitting image of Spike, but there was a definite resemblance to where she could see why Hermione thought Buffy might enjoy spending some time with him.

"It is, isn't it? I've never understood Granger's aversion to it. I would think given her intellect that being able to see the world from this perspective would appeal to her. A bird's eye view of everything imaginable!"

"Yes, well, I'm not sure intellect is an actual factor in fears."

He nodded. "Are you ready to go back?"

"Do we have to?" she asked.

"I have all night."

"Then please, keep going."

"Excellent. It's been a while since I've flown just for flying's sake."

"You played that game?"

"Quidditch? Yes, Potter and I were both seekers. Slytherin was my house, Gryffindor was Potter's. Granger and Weasley, too."

"You don't still play?"

"No," he said.

"I'm sorry. Hermione mentioned you had, um, restrictions after the war. I shouldn't have asked."

"It's all right."

"If it makes you feel any better I'll tell you something about myself. When I was sixteen I burnt my high school's gym down. As a result my mom had to move out of Los Angeles to Sunnydale, which was the only town who would even take a chance that I wouldn't do it again."

"Like where they play basketball?"

"Yes, exactly like that."

"Why?"

She laughed softly. She supposed it was an odd thing to confess to. "Well, Draco, while I had my reasons, that's a story for a different night."

He nodded then.

"Thank you," he said.

She squeezed around his waist a little tighter for a second. "No, really, thank you. This is exactly what I needed tonight and I didn't even know it and Hermione couldn't have either."

"Well, I want your first exposure to magical Britain to be memorable."

"You have."

Return to Top

Part 22 | Part 24

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com