***Chapter Fourteen***
August 2001

"So what is it today," Severus said, kissing the top of her head when he joined her in the kitchen for breakfast.

"Well, we made the Prophet," she said with a scowl.

The article wasn't … bad. Somewhere during the past three years Rita Skeeter had moved onto other things. It sounded as though she'd been forced to when the lengths she went to were finally discovered.

Hermione didn't hate people as a general rule. Skeeter wasn't as evil as Dolohov by any means and she realized that journalists had to make a living just like anyone else. Dolohov at least had a reason for attacking her. She was trying to interfere with him accomplishing his assigned task at the Ministry. She had done nothing to Skeeter initially. Yes, she did eventually, but that was because the woman was vile. She hoped Skeeter was miserable wherever she was. Siberia would be too nice of a place for that bitch!

"Mm. Am I your evil professor who enslaved you into being my sex kitten in exchange for grades?"

"Surprisingly, no."

"Really? You truly expected that? You've been gone for three years, Hermione, you clearly have not been my student for a long time."

"I know that. You know that. Our friends know that. The thought crossed my mind, yes, that there would be questions brought up as to when our relationship started."

"Ah. Shockingly that thought hadn't entered my mind until you took my joke seriously just now. Silly me, I gave them too much credit I suppose. It's just that for all the crimes I was accused of, and there were many, bedding students was never among them."

"I'm glad you have more faith in the Prophet staff than I do."

"It's not that, it's just that since I have not embraced a public image they have moved on from me as a topic for the most part. There is still the occasional article, of course. I owe you and Harry a great deal for those memories I shared with him not being public knowledge. It doesn't even appear Ronald knows."

"No, much to his disappointment."

She held up her hand to cut off the response because she knew what it was going to be.

Ronald absolutely had no business knowing what was in those memories.

Hermione hadn't either really when it got down to it, but Harry had been able to admit he was not objective when it came to his parents and wanted Hermione to tell him which ones were necessary for others to see and which had no business being public knowledge.

She was sure the fact that Harry had kept his mouth shut about those memories was the main reason Severus tolerated her best friend to the point of socializing with him now.

"He eventually understood it wasn't any of his business and Harry shared them with me to help with your trial, nothing else."

"I regret that you saw them," he said.

"Why, Severus?"

That surprised her.

He'd never, until now, mentioned his memories and she hadn't brought it up. She figured if he wanted to discuss them he'd initiate. They were his memories and she wasn't going to pry into his private business that she wouldn't know about normally.

Had they been important? Yes, for many reasons. However, they didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. They certainly helped her understand him a bit better. She could honestly admit that without having seen those memories she wasn't confident she would have sent him an owl two years ago. She liked to think that she would have put any bias against him aside to attempt to save Angel's life. She just couldn't be sure nineteen year old her would have.

He shrugged. "I do not like you seeing me like that."

"Like what? An awkward teenager who got his heart broken by someone he thought was his friend? Who was terribly embarrassed by some bullies and awkward? Who did some stupid things? We all have, Severus, not to the same level maybe or not getting caught if they were at the same level. I can't cast stones. No one can. Do you remember eleven year old me? I was the queen of awkward." She slid her hand to his. "I'm glad that you had her for as long as you did. I'm only sorry that she didn't have a chance to forgive you."

"Do you really think that she would have?"

"I think eventually, yes. I hope. Maybe that's just me projecting on what I hope Harry's mum would be like had she lived. I think she had some things to learn herself, but who doesn't? I had the chance to take three years to figure it out. Not everyone does, even without a war."

"You are right, and I like to think that she would have as well. Harry," he said softly. "I see a lot of her in him the older he's gotten. When I first saw him I refused to see anything but James Potter, down to the hair."

"Is that good or bad?"

"Mostly good. I think she wanted to fit in as badly as I did, and probably you did. She just went about it very differently than you or I did. She was willing to change herself. I admit toward the end that there was little evidence of the girl I'd met."

"That must have been very hard."

"At the time, no. I didn't see it, of course. I had years to think on things, go over things in my mind."

"Yes, I guess you did."

"I would not have been happy with her."

"You don't think so?"

"No, ultimately I guess she did me a favor."

"Oh?"

"I just had to wait a little longer than the others in my year did to find their witch."

"Remus didn't either right away."

"No, I suppose he didn't. Albus didn't help my emotional state much either."

"Why?"

He shrugged.

"He liked to remind me, very often, exactly what I committed to and why. I think he was afraid if he didn't, if I wasn't reminded on a regular basis toward the beginning there and especially during your first year that I'd rethink my mindset."

"Would you have?"

"No, once I changed sides I was fully committed to defeating him and his followers, especially by the time Harry came to Hogwarts."

"You stayed friends with Lucius."

He shrugged again. This one was accompanied by an audible sigh.

"Call him my weakness. I don't know. I had no one, Hermione. I had no friends, no real ones. He at least was capable of holding a decent conversation. I mean, you have to understand what that's like."

"I do," she admitted.

"I didn't talk rhetoric with him or plot evil takeovers beyond what Albus and I agreed to. I did listen, though, and was on alert for any hint of someone trying to do anything else to carry on his efforts "

"I understand, Severus. I'm not judging, I was just wondering, I guess."

"And, well, Albus was always convinced Voldemort would return so remaining friendly with Lucius did fall under my cover as well."

"Oh, I suppose. He knew that long ago?"

"He did. I'm not sure if he knew exactly what was at work, but he suspected that wasn't the end."

She nodded, lacing her fingers through his. He squeezed her hand. They didn't have these conversations often and when they did they were short as this one was. Neither wanted to just rip the bandage off, instead preferring bits and pieces when they were ready.

"It pleases me that you do not freak out or get jealous over Lily. It was a long time ago, and obviously unrequited."

"Oh I won't deny I'm a little jealous, not of her specifically, but that she got your undivided attention as she did. I think she's lucky. I wouldn't have anyway at that time since I wasn't born yet I realize."

"Yes, well, let's not dwell on that fact," he said with a soft chuckle. "I'll admit I'm no longer convinced it was even truly love after experiencing the real thing with you."

"That's very sweet, Severus. Are you that you're all right?" The smirk that accompanied the question told him plainly she was teasing.

"Yes, well, you make me sentimental at times it seems."

"Mm," she leaned in and kissed him. "I love you, too."

"That is excellent since we are engaged to be married."

"Speaking of," she said. "Are we going to set a date?"

"I sort of assumed you would and let me know your decision."

"And you were okay with that?"

"I admit I want a wedding, the trappings. Call me sentimental or old fashioned. Chalk it up to being an old wizard fool who wants to shout from the rooftops that you said yes to me. When it happens or even where, I don't care. As long as you're there and you are my wife at the end of the day."

"I'll look at the calendar and talk with Ginny."

"Ginevra?"

"She'll be my matron of honour."

"Ah, yes, of course. May I have a woman stand for me?"

Hermione smirked. "Yes," she said. "I think that would be acceptable."

"Thank you."

"Have you asked Minerva yet?"

"No," he said. "I hadn't thought about it. I'm not sure who I would have asked if you'd told me that wouldn't be appropriate."

"She'll be flattered."

"I suspect so, and quite amused to act as my best man."

"Yes."

She slid the day's Prophet to him so he could read it.

They'd gone out over the weekend to celebrate Harry's birthday. They'd had dinner for his actual birthday at the new-to-Hermione Burrow last week with just family (Hermione was grateful Molly included her and Severus as Harry's family).

Last night, though, all of his friends went out to a few clubs. They'd ended their night at a muggle one so there were, thankfully, no pictures of a rather drunk Hermione perched on Severus' lap. They hadn't done anything lewd, but she knew he preferred to be more private than having their sex life gossiped about on the front page of the Prophet.

Disturbingly, she realized that people would probably gossip about their sex life privately whether they gave them fodder or not. She couldn't imagine being that curious about people to care what they did privately.

They were heading to Hogwarts today.

Hermione needed to begin the set up of her quarters, classroom, and office. Minerva assured them last week that their accommodations would be taken care of in a pleasing way to everyone. She wasn't sure what that meant exactly. She had to admit she was more than used to sleeping with him every day now that they'd had about two months to do just that. She swore she never wanted to sleep alone again, but imagined there'd be times they would have to for whatever reason.

So far her return to the magical world had been rather low key. She'd done an interview with the Quibbler, which was published before she made any appearances that could be seen. She kept Beatrice. Lydia said the Council really had no need for her as she had obviously bonded with Hermione. Evidently, she'd reacted violently to anyone else who'd tried to use her. Hermione had chuckled at that. Beatrice was getting quite a bit of exercise now between letters to Harry and Ginny as well as Luna.

Those letters were always … interesting, but they never failed to make Hermione (and Severus) smile. She even sent a few to Dawn that way once Severus assured her she'd be fine for that much of a distance, instructing Beatrice to wait.

Dawn told Hermione that Xander had even built Beatrice a perch. So obviously Buffy's friends were okay with Hermione writing to Dawn.

Neither said much in their letters, but Hermione really did want Dawn to know she was cared about. And most importantly, not forgotten about. They still hadn't heard from Hank Summers, which just baffled Hermione to no end. If she ever saw that man… Well, he'd get a piece of her mind, for certain! She couldn't imagine the damage that was doing to Dawn and just hoped her letters helped even just a little bit.

Severus gave her pretty much indiscriminate power to decorate and furnish his quarters as she saw fit, as they decided they'd end up in his. As a first year professor her accommodations could very likely not be great. Or so Severus had told her.

He was evidently very trusting of her. He hadn't even specified no Gryffindor red or lion motif.

Minerva told Severus to be prepared for his quarters to be moved. He'd grimaced at that, but his days of needing to stay hidden away in the dungeons were over. Hermione deserved a window or two the headmistress had insisted. Neither of them had any idea what to expect, but he'd assured her Hogwarts would not disappoint them.

Once finished with the Prophet and the breakfast dishes taken care of, they made their way to the fireplace so that they could get started with their day. Severus also had to begin stocking up the infirmary's stores for the first term, which she offered to help him with. She rather looked forward to it.

She liked brewing with him, found it calming, and it was truly wonderful to watch him work. When he was alone in his lab he was truly a sight to behold. No stress from worrying about an errant student putting the wrong ingredient in.

Minerva was seated on Severus' sofa as if waiting for them when they arrived.

"Ah, there you both are. I wanted to be here when you see what Hogwarts and I arranged for you."

Severus was looking around the sitting room the same as she was. She had no expectations. He on the other hand had been residing at Hogwarts as staff for twenty years so he did. And was giving up what she was sure he saw as his advantage: the dungeons.

"Hogwarts and the elves really went above and beyond here. You can thank Albus the next time you are in my office for the suggestion, by the way." This was said to Severus.

"On this floor are your main living quarters: sitting room, a guest bedroom, kitchen and dining area, an office large enough to accommodate both of you, bathroom, and a library. Down those stairs, when you need them, Severus, is your office so that you may do your Head of Slytherin duties and return home directly. The stairwell comes out in your office which has been enhanced to accommodate your comings and goings comfortably. You can come and go as you usually do and no one should be the wiser as no one but you will see the door."

She paused, allowing them both to take in the first floor. She continued when it was clear they were ready. And probably once she realized Severus wasn't unhappy so far.

"Up these stairs will be your bedroom and bath with two additional bedrooms and a separate bath."

They went up the stairs and looked around. It was nice. Hermione noticed a second stairwell leading up yet again.

"Where does that go?"

Your entrance, the door you will use to come and go mornings and nights, Hermione will be up those stairs. You can go look, but there is essentially a small set of rooms up there. In case anyone chooses to visit you. The assumption was the third floor would be where Hermione would … entertain anyone who doesn't know you're residing together. The first floor would be for Severus or you both jointly to do so."

Hermione glanced at Severus, who seemed completely surprised and impressed by the setup. She could admit she was as well. It was truly way more than she expected. This was, well, it was a home.

For them. She imagined when they married it would reconfigure and they would no longer have so much castle space.

"Your entrance, Severus, will be your usual entrance by your classroom. It has been some time since Hogwarts has had to accommodate a couple, and as far as the portraits and I are aware, it never has an unmarried couple. So, it must like you both and approve as this is what it came up with for you to allow discretion yet the cohabitation that you both want and, quite frankly, deserve."

Hermione nodded while Severus gave a whispered "thank you" in response.

"Hermione, that stairwell," she said pointing to a second stairwell on the middle floor that looked as if it would go to the first floor. "It will go to the Gryffindor head of house office. When you are ready, that position will be yours. Until then the door at the bottom of the stairs will not open but the need was accommodated now. The stairwells between the two floors will also not be visible to anyone you don't grant that access to. This way someone coming to see either of you privately won't wonder why you need an additional floor. I think the assumption is the bedroom on the first and third floors will be designed to appear that you each use it."

"Thank you, again, Minerva," Severus said as he went about looking around the same as Hermione did. "It is more than I assumed we would get."

"Hogwarts apparently made some changes, but if there's something missing from your previous arrangement just let the elves know, Severus."

"This will be fine," he said. "This is more than generous."

"I think Hogwarts went ahead and made accommodations for any additional needs that may occur in the next few years rather than have to change again. The third floor will go away and Hermione's entrance to Gryffindor Head of House office will move once you are married from my understanding. That floor is quite small, the bare minimum for a professor's accommodations. If the need arose that more than three additional bedrooms were needed I'm sure that would be taken care of at that time."

"Yes," Severus said, lifting his lips in amusement Hermione noticed.

She, on the other hand, knew she was blushing profusely. Evidently, Hogwarts, Minerva, and Ginny thought they would be having children soon.

They weren't even married yet!

Somehow she didn't get the impression Severus was in any particular hurry to fill three extra bedrooms (technically four as the bedroom on the third floor would never get used) with children.

The second floor was nice, more than generous. Bigger than Spinners End and she couldn't help but wonder how Severus felt about that. Their master bedroom was huge, complete with a nice area they could sit in. The other bedrooms were smaller, but still generous for any child that might sleep there one day.

"Thinking about whether it will be a son or daughter in this room?"

"Not you, too," she said softly. He was teasing her, wasn't he?

He chuckled, sliding his arms around her from behind and nuzzled her ear. "I enjoy seeing you get flustered," he murmured. "It happens so seldom."

She scoffed at that. She knew they had to talk about it. It being children and whether they were going to have any. And if so, when. She supposed how many he was expecting would be in there, too. However, today wasn't the time, especially with Minerva still here.

"I imagine one day we could have James stay here, give Harry and Ginny a break," she murmured.

"As if she doesn't have siblings and parents to do such a thing!"

"Yes, but they don't live in a castle, and they're not his godmother."

"You have a point."

"It'd be good practice."

"We're practicing first?" he asked. "I firmly support practice."

"You support the practice of creating them."

"Well, of course, it is the fun part. Or so I've heard anyway."

She laughed softly. She couldn't deny he did make that part very fun.

"You know I will indulge your desire to have Potter's spawn spend a night here."

She spun in his arms, sliding her arms around his neck. "I know you will, that's what I love about you."

"The only thing?"

"Well, not the only thing."

"Want to see our bed and those other things you love?"

"Is everything to your liking, Severus? Hermione?"

"Yes, Minerva, everything is fine," Severus said. "You can leave us now."

"Are you sure?" she asked

"We're sure, Minerva," Hermione said. "Severus is going to show me what Hogwarts changed about his bedroom. I have fifty galleons that says his sheets are black."

Minerva stifled a laugh, her eyes twinkling with mirth as she bowed her head and left them as Severus lifted Hermione into his arms and carried her into their bedroom to show her that they were, indeed, black but an exquisite-feeling black silk.

Return to Top

Part 13 | Part 15

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com