***Chapter Thirteen***

"Settle down, Love," he said.

"Easy for you to say," she said.

"You know that it absolutely is not. Do you think I am looking forward to the fury your friends will unleash in my direction?"

She looked at him then, not really having thought about this from his perspective. Or how Harry or Ron would react to him being involved with her. In any capacity. Selfish perhaps, but her mind hadn't gone beyond her anxiousness. Her doubt.

Her.

He was right, they likely wouldn't react well to their relationship. She didn't get the impression his relationship with Harry had vastly improved over the past three years. It did seem as if it was better, though. She knew he didn't care about Ronald anymore than he had during their time at Hogwarts. She'd wanted him here for moral support because he was the only one who understood.

"I'm sorry. If you don't want…"

He shook his head, looking very resigned and there a twinge of guilt washed through her that she'd asked him to do be here at all. She was an adult. She'd faced a god. Certainly she could face Harry and Ron. Yet, he'd beefed up her magic knowledge before she went to Sunnydale to help Buffy face that god. She had his help, whether he was physically present for the battle or not. She wanted him here today because she was the one steady, real thing she knew anymore.

"I said that I would be here, and I will be. Obviously by the fact that I am here. I just don't want you to think you're the only one on edge here."

The difference, of course, was that he was practiced at appearing normal, neutral even when feeling stressed. So he looked no different at this moment than he did from most any other one. She was not like that. So while he was standing calmly she was fiddling with her robe and clutching her hands together. She hadn't worn robes in over three years. They hadn't fit in while they were on the run and she never took to wearing them again the month or so before leaving. Maybe if she had the Ministry would have helped her with her parents! Wouldn't that have been the most pathetic thing, if they had responded the way they had because she was dressed as a muggle.

Her behaviour and the fidgeting led to him telling her to settle down a moment ago.

"I know. I'm sorry. I wasn't really thinking…"

"I know, I could have pointed it out at any time since you concocted this idea. I didn't and clearly I'm here."

He settled a hand at her hip, drawing her to him for a kiss. "Presumably unless they've changed in the last three years, which I doubt, they will be a presence in my life going forward. I will adapt."

"Severus, what if they hate me?"

"They won't hate you. They will likely be hurt, and they may take some time to come to terms with the fact you are in fact alive and well. They won't know until you tell them why you left so they will likely see you show up here unexpectedly after three years and wonder why. Bear in mind that things may shift between you even if they are accepting and still your friends. I have no doubt that will be the case, them still being your friends I mean. Harry is married now with a son on the way I believe I've heard."

"I know," she said, sniffling and he raised a hand to wipe the tears he saw about to spill from her eyes.

"It will be fine, Hermione. They love you. That hasn't changed."

"I know. I mean I don't know, but I want to believe you."

They were waiting in the headmistress' private sitting room. The plan was when Harry and Ron got to her office she was going to tell them to wait in here so that she could finish something she had to take care of. Glancing at her watch she realized they should be there any minute now, assuming they were prompt anyway.

As expected she was released from her duties with the Watchers Council immediately upon her resignation. Lydia had sent a text to her personal cell phone with her private email address. Hermione admittedly liked her former supervisor. She wasn't sure if she considered her a friend as she had Buffy, but she did like her and they had conversations that didn't revolve around work on occasion.

Lydia was one of those people who was the most recent in generations of Watchers Council employees. They'd had a few interesting conversations about Spike because Lydia had done her thesis on him. Despite Buffy firing them during that visit, Lydia was practically floating on air that she'd actually met and talked with the vampire she'd studied so in depth.

In the text she'd asked Hermione if she would meet with her to fill her in on Spike's role during the battle that led to Buffy's death. Hermione hesitated, but Lydia assured her that it was curiosity and interest since she'd studied him. She probably would because Hermione believed the Council needed to know there were divergences from the norm.

Maybe the next slayer would benefit from that.

Hermione was still waiting for notification that Faith turned up dead. To this point it had not happened, but she imagined an entity (because they were more than just a company) like the Watchers Council would not take chances. They would not do something like assassinate a twenty year old girl without an ironclad plan.

Minerva had not waited as long as Hermione thought she might to make her an offer for the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor beginning in the school year of 2002. She had sort of assumed she'd draw it out a bit. Not that Minerva was spiteful, but Hermione knew she probably deserved some anticipation.

Hermione was anxious but pleased with getting the position. She did feel bad that someone was relieved of their duties in order for her to get the job, but from what Severus had told her it wasn't a huge loss.

The only thing that wasn't solidified at this point was a wedding date, but she wasn't rushing into that. Severus seemed to be of the same, or at least a similar, mindset because he hadn't really broached the subject either.

They'd taken their time getting to this point, she was content taking their time getting to that one. It would be different, too, spending every day together now that she'd be working at Hogwarts, too. They hadn't had that for the past two years so it would be an adjustment.

She imagined he was as worried she'd change her mind as she was of the reverse.

"I suppose I will owe you extra for this later?"

"Mm, yes, I will collect tonight."

"I can't wait."

He rolled his eyes, but showed his amusement. "You aren't supposed to enjoy paying off debts, Hermione."

She laughed then. She knew he was teasing her. "So you want me to do things to and with you but not enjoy them?"

"No! Absolutely not. You know that's not what I mean nor what I want."

"Well then, take what you have."

"I am, happily." He slid his hand to hers, grazing her engagement ring with the pad of his thumb. "Do you want to keep this on?"

"You want me to take it off?"

"I do not, but I'd understand to start…"

"I am engaged, Severus, to you. As you say, Harry is married with a child on the way. Ron, I presume, has led his life as well. I'd be very disappointed if any of them did otherwise."

"Yes, you're right. Speaking of Potter's spawn. Please remind me when you go to meet James Potter, because no doubt the boy's going to name him after his own father, to ensure I have a pressing engagement getting my palm read by Sybil on that date."

"I will, I promise," she said, unable to stop the laugh from coming out. She knew he would go with her if she asked him to, but she wouldn't make him. She wasn't that type of person. She didn't want him miserable and crabby.

"Thank you," he said, bowing his head slightly.

He seemed to sense, too, that their arrival was due because he drew away from her, walking to a window that overlooked the grounds. He'd shown her the view when they'd first come into the room.

She watched him, tilting her head as she took him in. He looked stoic, closed off, and unapproachable. To anyone but her. This was the man she had grown to love, that she had accepted spending the rest of her life with him. She realized here in this room where he no doubt spent many hours alone and frustrated that year he was headmaster, that she was humbled that he had let her in. She wondered how many times he stood in this room, looking out that window as headmaster during the war and her heart ached for him at the very thought of it.

He was so alone, he had no one. Except Albus' portrait, and likely they didn't talk much because of the other portraits.

She, Harry, and Ronald at least had one another.

"I love you," she said softly.

"Likewise, Love," he said, glancing over his shoulder at her.

No doubt wondering where the spur of the moment declaration came from. Neither was the type to say it every waking moment.

Then maybe he knew. He knew so many things. It was one of the many things she loved about him.

He just knew.

They heard voices in the headmistress' office, which caused them both to grow quiet. She stepped toward him instinctively before realizing that was the wrong direction and he smirked before turning his attention back to whatever he was looking at outside. She knew this was likely one of the last places he wanted to be right now.

She loved him all the more for being here.

For her.

Because of her.

To give her strength when she wasn't sure she had enough he was facing her friends who he knew didn't care for him.

"... didn't even know this was back here, did you, Harry," Ron said as the door swung open.

"No, but that's not surprising. I never saw past the main headmaster's office during my meetings with him."

"Wonder what McGonagall needs with both of us," Ron said, shutting the door. "She just usually asks for you and assumes you'll tell me anything."

"It's actually me who needs to see you," she said.

Silence.

Two pairs of eyes stared at her, so familiar and yet they were men now no longer eighteen year olds on the cusp. Harry was married. He had a child on the way.

She'd thought of this a lot since she brought up to Severus and Minerva using her office for this meeting. Every word she'd thought of saying flew out the window now that they were actually here. Sorry was inadequate. I love you seemed a little too soon and presumptuous they would forgive her. Hi was too understated and probably woefully inappropriate for the situation.

Harry was the first to cross to her once he seemed to come to terms with the fact she was really here. She felt the tears that had been threatening to fall earlier flow now at the sight of him. He didn't even seem as if he was overly shocked by her sudden presence after three years. He didn't say a word, he hugged her so tight she thought that she might pass out.

"Um, Harry," she said.

"Sorry, so sorry," he whispered and she heard that choking sound in those three words of someone fighting back tears. "I'm just…"

"I know," she said, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him probably just as tightly as he'd just finished hugging her.

Those tears were spilling freely and heavily from her eyes. She'd been so scared that he'd hate her, that he'd realize he didn't really want her after all. She was so relieved! She couldn't stop the tears nor did she even want to try.

"You're here. Really? I'm not dreaming?"

"You're not."

"God, Hermione, I thought you were dead or captured."

"I know, Harry, I'm sorry. I just," she drew away then, wiping her eyes. Glancing at the door as it was slammed shut, the only noise of any substance since they'd come in. Ronald was no longer in the room.

She sighed. At least one of them was happy to see her.

"Give him a minute," Harry said. She smiled, noticing tears in his eyes, too. So he'd stopped trying to fight them the same as she had with hers.

"Okay, yeah," she said with a nod. "I just," she started again and paused.

"You may speak freely in here," Severus said from the window, as if knowing why she hesitated. "There are no portraits, and there is a permanent silencing spell cast on it. While we are able to hear faint things from the outer office in here, they cannot hear out there. The fireplace is connected to the floo, but is password protected and secure. So, it's as private as it can be in Hogwarts."

"Thank you," she said, grabbing Harry's hand and drawing him to the sofa in front of the referenced fireplace.

Now. What had she wanted to say to him? She sniffled with a laugh that sounded more like a snort when she realized she had no idea what she'd wanted to say. And she'd written about ten different versions of how she wanted to start this conversation.

"They weren't going to let me sit my NEWTs, Harry," she blurted out. "Can you believe it? I went through all of that and they weren't going to let me finish without taking a seventh year! They weren't going to help me try to restore my parents' memories either," she said. "I spoke to someone at the Ministry, I thought they'd help me, you know? I mean, we'd won a war and I know I was only one piece but like you I was a fairly significant one! They told me if I mentioned it to anyone else I'd end up in Azkaban. No one else cared whether my parents lived or died. I had no choice but to do what I did! As if they would have stood by and knowingly allowed their parents to be murdered!"

"I know, Hermione," Harry said. "I lived it, too, remember?"

"I'm sorry. I just, here we'd done the impossible, right? You lived. You weren't supposed to live and yet here you are." She squeezed his hand, assuring herself in part that he really was here. "I helped with that! And I get nothing. I wasn't expecting a parade or anything. I didn't even care if anyone said thank you. Not really, thought that might have been nice considering what we went through with those horcruxes. I just wanted to sit my NEWTs and get my parents back."

"Do you know who said that to you?"

"I don't remember, Harry." Leave it to Harry, the auror, to want to suss that out. "It was, God, I was so exhausted. I know you were, too. I sat with Severus," she said, noticing Harry's eyes widen at her use of his given name. "I testified, and it was during one of the interrogations. There were so many, with so many different aurors. I have no idea who was who. I brought up my parents," she shrugged. "I think it frightened him that I could do that at seventeen."

"Well, they obviously didn't know you well enough."

She smiled with a sob. "Thank you, Harry."

"So, where have you been? What have you been doing? What are you doing here now?"

"Well, I do want to tell you, but assuming Ronald will truly come back, why don't we give him a bit so I don't have to repeat myself. I will tell you, I promise, but I'd like to do it all at once. I have a feeling I'll be repeating it enough as it is. So, first, while we wait, tell me about you. You're married? And a baby on the way?"

"I am, we got married last June. She's about four months along, we're due in November. A boy. She's doing well. Molly's," he shrugged. "Thrilled."

She knew what the shrug was for. Harry had no one to be thrilled for him. Not in the same way Molly was. Hermione, but she'd been gone, because of course Hermione was absolutely thrilled at having a little Harry Potter to love on and spoil rotten.

"I can imagine," Hermione said. She could absolutely imagine how thrilled Molly was. "I'm glad that she's doing well."

"You'll be godmother, of course, right? I mean, you're back. Right? I know that's more of a muggle thing, but there's no one else I'd want him to go to or to help raise him. I'd make you godfather if I could."

"If Ginny wants me to be, you know I will be, Harry. I'm honoured you'd want me to be."

"Well, I wish you'd gotten word to me at some point, but I get the need to get away. Trust me, I think about it every time a new Prophet article comes out."

"I can imagine."

Severus was oddly quiet. She knew that he was watching them, no longer looking out the window. She wasn't sure what he was watching for. Some sign that she needed help? Some sign that Harry was like his father after all?

"So. I'm an auror, but I suppose you know that. We're still going after Death Eaters. It never ends it seems," he shrugged. "There are other assignments, of course, but we would like to be able to officially and permanently close the file on Voldemort. I work hard, love it, though, even with the long hours."

"I'm sure you're good at it."

"I think so. They're talking about another promotion, so we'll see."

"That's great, Harry," she said, reaching for and squeezing his hand. "I have no doubt you're earning it."

"You think so?" He looked so uncertain, as if her opinion on that truly mattered and it broke her heart a bit. He was so much more than James and Lily's son.

"Oh, Harry, I know so. I know you've never wanted anything handed to you just because you're Harry Potter. Anyone who really knows you who thinks that's true is daft."

He filled her in on Neville, who was apprenticing here at Hogwarts (which she knew) and was pursuing Susan Bones. That seemed to fit in a way. She knew Neville didn't go for the pureblood rhetoric like those who'd taken up with the Death Eaters, but his grandmother influenced his thinking a lot.

Luna was traveling, looking for various magical creatures around the world and seemed to be happy with her current path. She sent letters with sporadic regularity that got shared amongst them (with her permission).

Ginny was playing quidditch professionally with the Harpies, obviously on a current leave from playing, but was helping coach and train the players.

Molly was still ruling the household and they had rebuilt their home. Ron was helping George at the shop when he wasn't playing quidditch.

Harry was filling her in on one of his cases involving a dark witch not associated with Voldemort when Ronald returned. Harry stopped talking and Hermione watched as he stood with his back against the door.

"‘Mione?" he asked. "Is it really you?"

She stood then, letting go of Harry's hand that she'd been holding off and on the entire time they were sitting on the sofa. She walked to him, unsure if he'd accept a hug so she didn't initiate one.

"Hi, Ronald," she said.

His eyes were dry, but she saw that they were red and puffy from crying. She reached for him then, hugging him.

"I missed you," she said with a soft sob when she finally felt him hug her back. She'd been so afraid he wouldn't come back. That he wouldn't be able to at least hear her out before deciding whether or not to forgive her.

He drew away then and the tears were back.

"You missed us so much you couldn't send us a letter? Something? Anything to let us know you were okay?"

"Ronald," she said.

"No, we've been worried about you for three years. We didn't know if you were alive or dead."

"I know, I'm sorry. I didn't really think about all of that. I didn't think of anything, really. And when I finally did I still wasn't ready. I did send a letter to the Ministry telling them I was turning down their job offer. I just assumed," she shrugged. She wasn't sure why she'd assumed that would make the Daily Prophet, but she had. She'd imagined Rita Skeeter publishing articles about how the wizarding world had finally proven too much for one Hermione Granger. "I guess, I thought that would make the news. Evidently it did not."

He wiped his eyes with his sleeve. "I'm not sure sorry is good enough, Hermione."

"Really, Ronald? You left Harry and me with a cursed locket that you knew was evil and we welcomed you back when you found us."

"I was gone for a few weeks! You've been gone for a few years."

"I needed time! As I told Harry, they threatened to throw me in Azkaban if I told anyone what I'd done to my parents. They weren't going to let me sit my NEWTs, Ronald. They were going to make me take a seventh year. I was ready to take them, you know I was. They weren't going to let me."

"Azkaban?"

"Yes, Ronald. I asked for help with my parents, and I was told I would get no help and if I mentioned it to anyone else I'd end up there. I was at a diner that I used to go to with my parents one day in June I guess. I'd just gotten done testifying about Mr. Olivander. I was raw from everything I had to say, and go through again, at his trial. This woman came up to me and offered me a job. She offered to let me sit my NEWTs and the resources to research potentially how to get my parents' memories back."

"A woman?" Harry asked from the sofa.

"Oh, Harry, yes, there's a whole world that I need to tell you about because I know neither of you would have picked up a book that covered this subject."

Severus scoffed from where he stood, still near the window but clearly watching them.

"What's Snape doing here?" Ronald asked.

"I guess I wondered the same thing," Harry said. "Hello, Sir," he said with a nod in Severus' direction. For Severus' part he returned the gesture politely at any rate. She could almost feel the sneer that wanted to come out. He didn't do it and she wanted to kiss him for that.

"It's part of my story, I guess, of the past three years, but he's my fiance."

"Your what?" Ronald said.

Harry on the other hand looked from her to Severus, looking thoughtful.

"We're engaged," she said, showing them her left hand and the ring there.

"But," Harry said.

"Mr. Potter," Severus said. "This meeting is not about me, my past, or even really our pending nuptials. Your best friend wished to see you and requested my presence in case neither of you wanted to see her in return and things turned tumultuous. I can assure you that we are engaged to be married and whatever you think you know of my past feelings for other witches that you do not have all of the facts. Nor have you been in my mind the past three years after I realized that I had a new lease on life."

Harry seemed to think on this, nodding slightly. Hermione gave a soft sigh at that, unsure what to expect from these three men.

"Let Hermione tell you. I can leave if you wish."

"No, you can stay," Harry said. "I mean, you're going to be her husband, right?"

"Yes," Severus said. "That is most often the result of an engagement, Potter."

"So you're family."

Severus closed his eyes at that and Hermione could almost hear him internally groaning at that statement.

"I mean, I know that's the last thing that you want. To be family with me, but Hermione is all I have so by extension I have you."

Severus sighed, folding his arms over his chest before glancing out the window again. "And you always will, Mr. Potter."

"Harry."

"I'm admittedly not sure I'm ready for that."

"Okay, I get it. Just know I want you to, would like you to, if you get comfortable."

He scoffed, turning back to look at Harry and nodded.

"Are you listening to yourself, Harry?" Ron asked. "How do we know this is really even Hermione? I mean, come on, do you really think Hermione would go out with Snape?"

"Ronald," Hermione said.

"Actually," Harry said. He was quiet for a moment, looking from her to Severus and back to her. "It makes sense in a way. Have you met anyone else smart enough for her?"

Ron stammered.

"As far as whether it's her. I'm going to assume, unless you think Snape and McGonagall are disguised or in on it as well, that they've vetted her."

Actually when it got down to it, neither Severus or Minerva had done anything to ensure she was who she said she was. Why hadn't they? Certainly she'd think Severus would have.

"Hermione," Severus said from his spot by the window. She turned to look at him and he lifted his hands to sign.

"Handwriting cannot lie, Love," he signed. "We have been together for days and weeks at a time."

She nodded then, understanding and not at all displeased that he knew where her mind had gone.

Eventually, Ron sat and Hermione told them about the last three years. Telling them about Buffy's final days wasn't easy. She had to stop to collect herself a couple of times. Unlike Harry, Buffy hadn't come back to life.

"So you're going to be a professor here?" Ronald asked, wide eyed. Why that was the thing he had a question about after all she'd just told them she wasn't sure.

"Yes."

"Why?"

She laughed.

"I don't know. Why do any of us do anything? I want to make sure no student leaves this school again not knowing how to defend themselves. I hope that I'll make a difference, and that on occasion I can call on you two to come demonstrate."

"You know that we will," Harry said.

"Thank you," she said.

"So, what's next?" Harry asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, we know. Are you going to tell anyone else?"

"I was going to go visit Neville in the greenhouses," she said with a shrug. "There isn't really anyone else to tell. Other than Ron's family, and I assume you both will do that for me."

"Ginny…"

"Yes, I know I should tell Ginny. You tell me when she'll be home and I'll come by."

"I'll find out, and I can owl you."

"That will be fine, Harry. I should send an owl to Luna, too. Then she might already know."

She grimaced at the thought. Did Luna know? And what did she know? And when did she know it?

She regarded Ron who was quiet.

She suspected that while Harry was hurt, Ronald was, too for very different reasons. The fact was, though, he was truly one of the things she felt she'd needed to get away from three years ago.

He'd treated her rather poorly more than once while at Hogwarts. She hadn't been sure that kiss after the final battle hadn't been exultation after winning or actual attraction. She was closer to nineteen than their eighteen at the end of the war and she'd wanted to be sure of her feelings.

She didn't want to settle.

As it turned out, she'd been right to have those doubts.

Ron wasn't a bad person. Not at all. His time away from them during those months they were on the run. Well, the locket was evil. She and Harry had forgiven him because while no one alive but the three of them would understand just how evil that locket was, they did. They knew firsthand. Who knew what it had told him?

She presumed he'd make someone incredibly happy. She just thought she deserved to be treated better even during the time leading up to a courtship. And, yes, she knew that was very contradictory considering how Severus treated her while she was a student. There was a difference. Severus was not her peer, Ronald was. Ronald was her friend. Severus truly had not been in a position to have to be polite to a witch for several years. Severus was under immense amounts of pressure not to appear anything but faithful to the Dark Lord, his other living followers, and the beliefs held by them.

"Are you okay, Ron?"

"Yeah, I just. Three years, ‘Mione. I mean, you couldn't have asked Snape to let us know you were okay?"

"I wasn't ready, Ron. I haven't been talking to or seeing him since I left. It took me a year to contact him and that was because I needed assistance on a poison. Even then, I didn't physically see him for six more months after that. I didn't come to see him intent on falling in love with him. I came here because he thought I was abusing any familiarity I had with him and requesting potions I could have gotten anywhere. I'm still not sure I'm completely ready, but I'm more now than I was then."

"And your parents?"

She shrugged. This was the painful part. All of the Council's resources at her fingertips and she'd found nothing. She and Severus had looked through Hogwarts library, too, for things while she'd been here researching about Glory. "I've seen them a couple of times, but nothing I've found will bring them back."

Ron grimaced at that.

"I'm sorry, Hermione. It's my fault."

"No, Harry, it's not. I made the decision."

"Yes, because of me! Because you were my friend and coming with me."

She shrugged. "Even if I wasn't going with you I would have done it. I read the Prophet, I knew things were escalating."

"She saved their lives," Severus said from the window.

He walked to her then, brushing the back of her hand with his.

"I heard, secondhand, about it. Dolohov was in charge of the raid actually. It was within a few days of missing you during the eldest Weasley's wedding at the Burrow, and he was severely punished when he reported back that the Granger home was empty and it did not look as if anyone had been there for weeks."

Hermione swallowed.

He hadn't told her that.

He'd told her she'd saved their lives, but not that there had actually been an active raid on her childhood home. She wasn't sure she'd wanted to hear it, though. Certainly not three years ago. He also couldn't talk at all and hadn't yet been given the white board at that time so he had to write everything out.

She met his hand with hers, finding his fingers with her own and squeezing. She swallowed, realizing if Dolohov had gotten a hand on her parents there likely wouldn't have been anything left of them by the time he was done. He would have wanted to exact revenge for her getting away from him at the Department of Mysteries.

She met his gaze and she smiled a bit. It was a sad smile and he nodded. He knew exactly what she was thinking. No, she didn't relish in violence, however, there was something poetic about that man being punished that relieved her to no end.

She did like the idea of Dolohov getting severely punished.

A lot, actually.

"I do, too," he whispered, bringing their joined hands to his mouth to kiss hers.

"I can't," Ron stood then and walked to the door. "I can't sit here and watch you two be all whatever with one another as if he didn't laugh at and insult you at every turn for years."

"Ronald," Hermione said.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone or anything. I just can't understand how both of you can just forget everything that he did and said while we were students. He was a horrible git!"

He left then and Harry sighed.

"He just can't let it go," Harry said with a shrug. "I don't understand it. I mean, I forgave you pretty much the night of the final battle, Sir. I saw things differently, you know. Things that before seemed sinister I realized were you protecting me."

Severus sighed. Hermione knew that exactly this was what he'd been afraid of. That she'd feel that she was being made to choose between her friends, her best friends that she'd gone through hell and back with, and him.

He didn't think she'd choose him.

Showed what he knew.

"I'll talk to him. He'll come around," Harry offered.

"You can't make him," Hermione said.

As much as she wanted him to, she knew Ronald wouldn't come around until he wanted to. They were all three of them pretty stubborn when it came down to it.

"No, but he hasn't had to deal with you, Professor. You know? He hasn't come here or anything since the first memorial service. So, he has no reason to even try to get to know what you're really like."

"I would be willing to talk to him," Severus said.

"Thank you," Hermione said, sliding an arm around him and hugging him.

"He won't tell anyone, though. If he says he won't, he won't. He understands. For a while, he couldn't get enough of the recognition. We had some pretty big rows over it, in fact because I'm pretty sure there were a couple of times he reported we were going to be somewhere or doing something. He's changed the last year or so, mellowed somewhat. I think he's met someone, but we haven't met her yet if he has. Little things: wearing nicer clothes, ensuring his hair is cut, and home a little more than usual instead of out at a pub. So, he shouldn't be getting too mad at you about keeping secrets. Granted, it's only been a year not three but he's not running up to us to introduce her to us. He's even talked of no longer playing quidditch, but that hasn't happened yet."

"I'm glad." She truly was. She hadn't left intending for anyone's life to pause, waiting for her return. She wanted them happy and functioning. She was glad that they could do that in the wizarding world. She could not. Olivander's trial had been … particularly brutal on her emotionally. So Lydia had caught her on the perfect day. Another trial and who knew if Hermione would have been so raw. So desperate to forget.

"He'll come around. I think he assumed that you two would end up together."

"I'm not sure I could ever have gotten over him leaving us like he did, Harry. Friendship? Yes. A relationship? Marriage? I just don't know."

"I don't blame you. I wasn't thinking about a relationship with him and felt betrayed."

"Thank you."

"Are you in a rush to get home?" Harry looked at them then, a thought obviously occurring to him just now. "Where do you even live?"

"I live with Severus. And I guess Hogwarts soon."

"Together?"

"Well, not at first, no. It's not allowed."

"I will be discussing with Minerva our being able to go home evenings, or most evenings."

"What about rounds, Sir?"

"Someone else can look for troublemakers, Potter. And, oddly, with you three and Draco gone the afterhours mischief is down considerably."

She and Harry both snorted in amusement at that statement. She could just imagine how much detentions, and his stress about errant students killing themselves, had decreased the past three years. "I have no other plans today, Harry. Why?"

"Wait here," he said with that smile only Harry seemed capable of giving. He went into the headmistress' office then, closing the door only partially behind him.

"He's going to bring Ginevra here now," Severus murmured.

"I suspect so," she said when they heard Harry go to the fireplace.

Minerva walked to the doorway, glancing at them while Harry spoke into the fireplace. Who knew where Ronald went.

"We're fine, Minerva," Severus said. "Thank you for checking."

She nodded, returning to her desk. Hermione slid her arms around Severus, leaning up to kiss him. 

"I'm sorry," she whispered as she drew away.

He kissed the top of her head, grazing it with his cheek.

"Whatever are you apologizing for?"

"I know you'd rather be doing other things today."

"While I won't deny that could very possibly be true. I am with you, the others in our company may not be my choice in companions. I knew eventually this would happen and asked you to marry me even knowing that would mean dealings with them."

"Yes, you did," she said. "You're not regretting it?"

He scoffed, then seemed to realize that she meant it. He kissed the top of her head again, a gesture that she liked. It was comforting, which she knew was his reason for doing it.

"I only regret the repercussions you will experience as a result of your chosen life partner. If I had my choice, Hermione, I would have married you the moment you said yes."

"Really?" she asked.

That truly surprised her. She wasn't sure why. She knew he wanted to marry her, that wasn't up for debate. They also hadn't set a date or really talked about anything to do with a wedding to this point. She wasn't upset or concerned, it had only been a couple of weeks since his proposal. However, to hear he would have done it that day did surprise her.

"Yes."

"I didn't know," she said.

"I didn't make the offer simply because if, now of course when, we are going to do this we should do it the right way, a wedding. You deserve that."

"So do you," she said.

And he, really, truly did deserve everything she deserved. Men got the short end of the stick when it came to courtship and weddings she thought. He absolutely deserved a wedding just as much as she did in her eyes.

He nodded and she could see from his eyes that he agreed with her.

"You're right, I do. I waited too long to find you."

"Harry," Ginny said from the other room. "I was working on the nursery. What on earth could be  so important to make me drop what I'm doing? Hello, Headmistress McGonagall," the witch said.

"Mrs. Potter, lovely to see you looking so well," Minerva said in response. It pleased Hermione a little that she'd been granted permission to call her Minerva.

"Were you at their wedding?" Hermione asked.

"I went to the wedding, yes. I wouldn't say it was the same as being at their wedding, though. I was ordered by Minerva with the threat of having to cover the Halloween dance punchbowl and chaperone any other events for an entire school year if I did not."

She smirked. "Even without your voice?"

He scoffed, looking perturbed at admitting this. Did anyone but Minerva, and now her, know? Doubtful. "Even without my voice."

"My, she has your number."

"She does." His eyes narrowed slightly, they even crinkled slightly in amusement. "Perhaps I should worry that you'll learn her tricks."

"Oh, Honey, I have things far better than Hogsmeade weekends and punchbowl duty to hold over your head."

He leaned in then, finding her ear. "When we're done here I will take you home so I can see those things you speak of first hand."

"Is that right?"

"It is. I will search very thoroughly, I might add."

"I look forward to it," she said, stepping away from him.

"No more than I do, I assure you."

They were interrupted by a raucous squeal from the doorway as a just noticeably pregnant Ginny Weasley practically launched herself into Hermione's arms.

Hermione wrapped her arms around really, other than Buffy, her only female friend. Luna was, sure, but it just wasn't the same. She'd made a couple of friends the past few years, but none who knew the real her. It was hard to consider someone a true friend when you had to lie to them about everything. Telling someone she was a researcher and being completely vague on what she researched was not a close friendship earner. She was sure she came across as standoffish or conceited.

Or flighty. That of course bothered her more than anyone thinking she was conceited!

"I can't believe you're here. You are really here, right? This isn't a trick?" She glanced at Harry. "You've checked for polyjuice?"

Harry sniggered.

"I assure you, Mrs. Potter, she is the Hermione you know and love."

"Oh, well, good, thank you, Professor. And hello. I'll refrain from hugging you today. How are you?" she asked, frowning a bit as she seemed to process that Severus Snape was in the same room as them for this reunion and that would be considered odd to just about anyone in the wizarding world. "Why are you here?"

"Ah, always subtle," he quipped.

"Yes, well, grow up in a house full of wizards."

Severus nodded slightly in acknowledgement of her statement having made a point.

"I am doing well, thank you for asking even though I know  you don't truly care about me or my person at the moment," he said.

"They're engaged," Harry offered.

"Shut up!" Ginny said. "For real?" She took hold of Hermione's left hand, saw the ring there. Her eyes went from it to Harry and then to Hermione and last Severus, as if she thought it was a trick of some sort. "Engaged? You two? How did you even know how to find her, Professor? Harry's been looking when he can and he knows her well."

"I did not find her, Mrs. Potter. She, as it happens, found me."

"Really now?" Ginny said. She was observing Severus in a far different, more primal, way after that statement.

"It's not like that," Harry said with a chuckle.

"How are you feeling," Hermione asked, gesturing to the barely noticeable baby bump.

"Good. You know, tired and feel as if I eat everything in sight, which is usually Ron's job, not mine. Well, you know that."

Severus chuckled, which made Harry and Ginny both turn and stare at him.

"What?" he asked and Hermione took his hand.

"They've never heard you laugh, Severus," she said.

"I suppose not," he said.

"It's nice, Professor," Ginny said.

"I'm glad it meets with your approval," he said with a smirk.

"Can I?" Hermione asked, gesturing again to her abdomen.

"Oh, yes," Ginny said, grabbing Hermione's hand and settling it there. "There's nothing to feel yet. I'm told a month or so for that."

"It agrees with you," Hermione said.

"It will with you, too," Ginny said. "Just think, maybe our kids will go to Hogwarts together!"

"I, um," Hermione said, glancing at Severus.

She knew she was blushing.

Kids?

Were they going to have kids?

She saw the look of amusement in his eyes and realized she was panicking over a simple statement. Of course they'd have kids.

Wouldn't they?

A couple maybe?

Soon enough for them to go to school with Harry and Ginny's kids, though? Here was baby one due later this year. She and Severus hadn't even set a wedding date yet!

"Maybe," she said finally.

Severus arched his eyebrows at that, clearly amused but probably curious as well. She hoped she hadn't just put her foot in her mouth with that answer. She was in no hurry to rush out and have their kids join Harry's at Hogwarts.

"Are you laughing at me?" she signed.

"Never," he murmured.

She shook her head, returning her attention to Ginny.

"I can't wait to tell Mum and Dad, they are going to scold you but will be thrilled you're okay and back. You have been so missed."

"I'm sure they will, and am glad to know that. I've missed you all, too. You can't tell them yet, Gin," she said.

"Why? What? Aren't you here for good? You're not leaving again, are you? You can't go, Hermione! I need you! I've missed my best friend."

"I'm glad you need me, I need you, too. Both of you. And I know, I've missed you, too. No, I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here at Hogwarts. We just need some time. I want to meet with Neville and would like Ronald to be okay before we tell others."

"Oh, he was here?"

"He was. He didn't take all of this very well."

"Harry and I will talk to him."

"I appreciate that. I think it was more my being with Severus than my being back, but I'm not sure I guess."

"He'll come around, you three," she shrugged, hugging Hermione again. It was almost as if she was trying to assure herself Hermione was truly there. "It's been so weird the past three years without it being Harry, Ron, and Hermione. You know? You were inseparable for years. You'll get back to it, it'll just take time."

"I hope that you're right. I'd like that, more than either of you probably know. I didn't leave to be petty or mean. I was hurting, mad and, all right, a little scared. I didn't want to end up in Azkaban!" Harry told Ginny he'd fill her in with what that was about so Hermione didn't have to rehash it again. She appreciated that. She just wanted to catch up with her friends. She was so glad these two at least were willing to do that today.

Maybe things would be strained after today, she didn't doubt that they probably would be. However, they were talking to her, talking about wanting and needing her around them. That was a hugely good sign as far as she was concerned. It was a start, and perhaps better than she deserved. Ron was right, she could have at least let them know she was okay and just needed a break. Honestly, at first the thought hadn't even been there.

And then. Well, what would she say?

It came down to the fact that she hadn't and while she couldn't go back and undo or change it, she could learn from it and do better at being a friend going forward. She knew from losing Buffy that she didn't want to miss out on any more time with her friends.



It was after dinner by the time they got back to Spinners End. After talking with Ginny and Harry, they'd talked some with Minerva before heading back. Severus planted the seed of he and Hermione being able to either spend their nights at their home or having their rooms connected by fireplace so they could come and go as they pleased. Minerva seemed more inclined to do the second, not liking the idea of two of her full-time, and the most notorious, staff members gone every evening.

She didn't even wait, she led Severus by the hand upstairs to their room.

"Just think," she said as she wandlessly removed her clothes. "We have nothing to leave for tonight or wake up for in the morning."

"That is a most appealing thought."

"More appealing than this?" she asked, gesturing to herself.

He scoffed.

"Nothing is more appealing than this, Hermione."

"Those are magical words, Severus."

"Considering I'm a magical man that goes without saying."

He grazed her neck with his lips and the tip of his tongue, causing her to whimper softly. "Yes," she practically purred.

That was the last coherent thing she said until well after normal breakfast hour the next day.

Return to Top

Part 12 | Part 14

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com