***Chapter Nine***
September 2010

Austin looked at the wall she and Severus were telling him to run into with obvious misgivings. Hermione remembered the feeling of dubious belief very well even though it was almost twenty years ago. It’d been nearly forty for Severus. Their son knew that neither of them would do anything to make him look like a fool, but she could see him thinking "but it’s just a wall".

There was, after all, a difference in believing in magic and that your accidental bouts of magic over the years were that and knowing for a fact that magic existed and you were, in fact, a wizard.

Hermione gently encouraged while Severus gave a scowl (not as severe as his Professor Snape scowl but a scowl nonetheless). She smirked a little at his posture. She could hear him thinking without benefit of legilimency "we have gone over this, Austin". It wasn’t as if neither had told Austin about the magical world in detail over the years. It was one thing to hear about it, in theory, and another to take the leap into believing he wasn’t going to crash face first into a wall. Or that his parents would allow that to happen, for that matter.

Taking a deep breath, he pushed his cart with his luggage and caged half kneazle. Technically she was less than half since she was the product of Crookshanks and a neighborhood stray cat they’d adopted a couple of years ago (after they’d discovered Crooks had obviously taken the female as his mate, resulting in Sherbet and a few others that they had found good magical homes for). Little Sherbet had become Austin’s familiar almost immediately, which was the reason they kept her. Severus did not want three cats, but he had not had much of a choice.

So, finally, with a cart full of luggage and one familiar, he ran toward the wall. Hermione heard Severus’ deep exhale from beside her once he made it through. Their daughter, Erin, blinked rapidly at the wall, opening and closing her fist excitedly when her brother was no longer visible. No doubt wondering where Austin had disappeared to. Whether she wished him back depended on her mood and could change second to second some days.

"Ready?" Severus asked her as he gathered Erin into his arms so that Hermione wouldn’t have to. At eight months along with their second son picking up the ever-wiggling Erin wasn’t easy anymore. Hermione nodded. "Shall we go find your brother?" he asked Erin.

"Austin," she said.

"Yes, let’s go find Austin."

And just like that they were on platform 9-¾ and there was the Hogwarts Express. Hermione saw Severus’ arms around Erin tighten for a second. While she had been in and out of the magical world for work and socially several times over the years, other than the occasional very rare in-person visit to his shoppe in Hogsmeade he had not. This was the first time in over twelve years Severus Snape had been seen in public.

Several stopped to stare. There were whispers, fingers pointed in their direction, a few negative comments, and a few claps of applause clearly directed at her husband.

Teddy Lupin had already found Austin, thankfully. Teddy had always liked coming to their house with Harry over the years. Severus had accepted that Remus’ son was going to be a figure in their life, too. He seemed fascinated by muggle things so he’d been included in movies and other things over the years. Harry was there, too, with Andromeda. She smiled widely at her best friend and took Erin from Severus. She then focused her attention on her best friend and Teddy’s grandmother so that Severus could say goodbye himself. He wouldn’t admit to anyone how emotional this day was making him. Hermione knew, and was doing her best to pretend that she didn’t know. It was difficult because as his wife she wanted to fret over him and hug him when she knew he was emotional. He, however, wouldn’t appreciate her fawning over him publicly today, thereby drawing attention to his discomfort. So she clung to Erin and talked seemingly oblivious to Harry and Andromeda.

Austin stood proudly Hermione noticed, as if he sensed several pairs of eyes on him and didn’t want anyone to realize he was not quite sure that he truly belonged here. People were wondering who he was that would garner the attention of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Severus Snape. Never mind the three of them together. Hermione and Severus had been married quietly in a ceremony officiated by Kingsley Shacklebolt who it seemed ensured the paperwork was filed promptly without preamble so no articles or fuss was made. The Minister said Severus had deserved that much.

He had never lived in the wizarding world and neither his parents nor Harry were prideful people who talked themselves up. Austin was aware, though, from stories he’d heard over the years that they were each considered heroes.

Erin, who at almost four only knew school from visiting Austin at his, was looking with wonder at everything while gripping Mum’s neck tightly. She didn’t understand that she had this whole special world to look forward to yet. Her little legs were wrapped as tightly around her mum’s belly as best as she could. She had not gone with them to Diagon Alley for Austin’s school shopping. Hermione expected after today there would be a lot of questions and curiosity about Hogwarts and the magical world. She also assumed in a day or two there would be questions as to where Austin was and when he was coming back. He’d been gone a night or two in her lifetime so was used to short-term absences on his part.

"You will write and tell Harmony and me about your first couple of days."

He, of course, said her name properly by now but he and Severus both still called her Harmony when talking between themselves about her.

"Yes, Father."

"And you have your money for snacks from the Express?"

"Yes, Sir."

Harry looked a little melancholy watching the exchange. It touched Hermione’s heart that her best friend and her husband were able to be friendly. Harry was no doubt recalling a time Ron couldn’t afford any goodies on the Express. Hermione knew Severus knew that feeling personally, too. She wouldn’t say Austin and Erin were spoiled exactly but Austin especially, due to his age, knew if there was something he wanted and he could make a sound argument for buying it, it would find its way into their home.

The group watched as Austin and Teddy started to board the Express. Erin waved wildly at her brother, obviously having no idea she wasn’t going to see him again until Christmas. He gave her a shy smile and a wave before turning to follow Teddy to find a car.

"At least there are no Weasley spawn yet."

"I imagine Victorie will be here soon."

Severus grimaced but there was a glimmer in his eye that told her he was joking. Maybe he was a little serious. It  was hard to say when it came to the Weasleys. She knew he had actually liked teaching all but Percy and Ronald.

***

Austin watched out the window as his parents, Harry, and Teddy’s grandmother stood talking on the platform. Erin seemed to be looking for him. He smiled a little at that. The train started pulling away so he set his head against the seat back behind him.

He couldn’t believe he was actually here.

Finally!

It seemed he’d been waiting to go to Hogwarts forever. He wasn’t even sure until last year his dad was going to send him here. He hoped, but he knew it wasn’t his decision to make and if his father decided on a different option there were reasons for that. Harmony was still involved in the magical world to some extent he knew but his father was not and had kept him out of it. He’d been to Harry Potter’s house and Diagon Alley for his supplies, but that was the extent of his introduction to the magical world.

Until today.

He followed the others when the train made it to Hogsmeade, belly full of all sorts of wizarding treats that he, Teddy, and two of Teddy’s friends had shared.

He watched in awe as the castle was revealed to them as they approached by water. His father had given up living here? It was incredible and he couldn’t imagine not wanting to live here after so many years of doing so.

He stood nervously in line with the other first years, taking in the foyer outside of what he knew was the Great Hall. This was it, what he’d been waiting for. He’d helped his father with potions over the years, but this was … He was going to learn everything.

And in this place. He could almost feel it, the history and the knowledge he now had access to by being here.

Soon his name was called and in he walked to the Great Hall, taking a seat on the stool he was directed to. Everyone was staring at him. He swallowed, sitting tall and proud. He had nothing to be ashamed or scared of. His father and Harmony had both told him he deserved to be here just like the other students. He heard hushed whispers that he couldn’t make out beyond his last name. Students and teachers both.

Snape.

He saw Teddy and who he hoped were his two new friends at the Gryffindor table. He knew his father had been Slytherin. He didn’t want to be Slytherin. Did he have a say in such a thing? They hadn’t told him.

"You’re Severus’ boy?" the woman asked who was standing beside him.

He nodded simply. Was he supposed to talk during this process? No one had told him. They hadn’t told him so much he was beginning to realize. Then other kids didn’t know things either when they came here for the first time he imagined.

The woman, who had kind eyes, gave him a cautious smile. "I’m Madam Pomfrey. It’s very nice to meet you, Austin."

"You, too, ma’am."

"Little wonder where you’ll end up, I reckon," she winked as if she knew something he should. Then she placed a hat on his head of dark hair. He took a deep breath in anticipation and from nerves.

The Sorting Hat he knew it was called.

Well, this is interesting.

Silence. Was he supposed to say something?

I wasn’t expecting you.

Very interesting.

The product of Snape and Granger.

A match others might say doesn’t make sense.

It does make perfect sense to me.

Strong line from your father. A little old-fashioned.

And your mother. The strongest and brightest I’d seen in ages.

Your parents have both lived up to their potential, though one took a little longer to get there.

The product of two strong, intelligent individuals you are.

Very interesting indeed.

So much potential.

You would do well following in your father’s footsteps.

Austin groaned inwardly here. He did not want to be in Slytherin. He wasn’t sure why, he just knew that was not where he belonged.

I see that frightens you. Slytherin does not mean evil, but you are right. I don’t think you belong there. I think your father would say the same thing. He had something to prove and thought Slytherin would be the way to do it. As it turned out, my first instinct about him was correct. I don’t regret many things, but that is one of the few.

Your mother, though. Hmm. She could have been in any of the houses, really. She would have fit in well there, just like you but for her blood status.

I don’t know my mother, though.

Oh, but of course you do. That is not my story to tell, however. I think I will go with my instinct with you and start a new trend for the Snapes.

"Hufflepuff," the hat shouted from atop his head and Austin was certain he’d heard wrong.

He’d just assumed. Well, he wasn’t sure what he’d assumed. He glanced at the Head Table, and saw the look of shock on a good number of professors’ faces. So it wasn’t just him. He knew their names even if he didn’t know who was who, but they’d all known his father. Some had taught his father.

Except one. He knew one.

The headmistress. Minerva? He thought that was the name his father had told him. She could transfigure into a cat he’d told him when they’d talked about whether Sherbet could go with him to Hogwarts..

She was watching him shrewdly and had a bit of a smile on her lips, her hands clasped just under her chin. She gave a barely noticeable nod of her head. He returned the gesture. So she wasn’t surprised by the hat’s choice for him it seemed.

He stood then and went to the Hufflepuff table where he was greeted by the other first years who’d been selected as Hufflepuffs.

A girl with long blonde hair moved to sit next to him. She’d been in front of him before the sorting and had talked to him some before her name had been called.

"Hi. Remember me? I’m Maggie Slattery," she said, offering him her hand. He took it as his father taught him, kissing it properly just above her wrist.

"Austin Snape," he said, releasing her hand. He honestly couldn’t remember if he’d told her his name out in the foyer or not. He’d clearly surprised her. The red in her cheeks gave her away.

"Are you muggleborn, too?"

"I," he swallowed. How was he supposed to answer that question? He closed his eyes. The truth. He would tell the truth. He would not lie.

"I was raised in muggle London, but my father is half-blood."

"And your mother?"

He closed his eyes again, thinking over what the hat had said. Was it true? Was Hermione his mother? Why hadn’t they told him if she was? He knew they had secrets, things that they thought he was too young to know. Was this one of them? He remembered a life before Hermione, though. She hadn’t always lived with them.

"She was raised muggle, too," he said simply.

"Have you been here before?"

"No," he said, shaking his head.

"I haven’t either. Did you get your wand and everything?"

"Yes," he said.

"Me, too. I couldn’t believe it! It was all so spectacular."

He’d thought it was pretty spectacular, too, but he’d known some of the magical world before going there so he probably hadn't had as severe of a reaction as she had.

"I have a cat," he said. It was kind of a lame thing to say, but she was rambling so he’d reacted by saying something.

"Oh! Really? What’s its name?"

"Sherbet," he said. Now it was his turn to blush. "My sister named it. She thought she looked like sherbet."

"Orange sherbet?"

"Uh huh," he said, glancing at her to be sure she wasn’t laughing at him for having a familiar with such a girlie name. He noticed she had bright blue eyes.

"I love orange sherbet. Do you?"

"It’s all right," he said. He hadn’t had sherbet often to say he loved it.

"How old is your sister?" she asked.

"Um, four," he said.

"So, seven years younger?"

"Mm hmm," he said. "My mum is having another one in the next couple of months. I hope it’s a brother." He’d really hoped Erin had been a brother. She was all right as little sisters went, but he wanted someone he could play with! She wanted to play with dolls and wear dresses. He did know how to braid her hair as a result, which Harmony had told him would come in handy someday.

Whatever that meant.

"Oh, how exciting!"

"Do you have brothers or sisters?"

"An older brother and a younger sister."

"Not magical?"

"My brother isn’t," she said.

He nodded. That would be weird, but he knew it happened in magical families too once in a while. Squibs his father had called them.

He glanced around at the table and soon enough the headmistress stood and a hush fell over the hall as she gave her introductory speech. He noticed the prefects and heads of house as she pointed them out. He hoped he wouldn’t ever need to know who they were.

And soon enough the tables were full of more food than he could ever have imagined.

"So you’re a Snape," an older boy said from across the table.

"Yes, Austin."

His dad had warned him that he might get mixtures of good and bad responses to being related to him. He was prepared, but he wasn’t exactly sure what to be prepared for. Being picked on? Hugs? It could go either way. It was so different from primary school where no one knew anything about him or magic.

"It’s good having you in Hufflepuff," he said, offering Austin his hand. "I’m Casey. This is Nathaniel."

"This is Maggie," Austin said, gesturing to the girl who’d taken it upon herself to sit next to him and pepper him with questions. It would be rude not to include her, wouldn’t it? She’d been nice enough. And something told him with their names being so close together if there was assigned seating in classes they’d be sitting together.

"So, if you’re Snape’s son you must know all about Hogwarts," Casey said.

"Not really, I’ve never been here before and he doesn’t talk about it much."

"I’ve heard he was the strictest teacher this school ever had," Nathaniel said.

"Your dad was a professor here?" Maggie asked.

"Yes. He taught Potions."

"Oh, how exciting. I was looking through the book and it seems kind of like chemistry. My brother loves chemistry."

"Yeah, kind of," he said. He’d heard his father tell muggles he had taught chemistry more than once over the years.

"What’s he doing now?" Nathaniel asked.

"He owns a couple of apothecaries, brews potions."

"And your Mum?" Casey asked.

"She’s a police officer," he said.

He knew there was more to it than that, that she worked for a special task force that not many in either the magical or muggle worlds knew about. He knew her boss was Harry but that they were more partners than their titles let on. The task force had been Hermione’s idea, Harry just had the skills to put it together. He didn’t know much beyond that. Other than that she still came home hurt some days and it bothered his father immensely when that happened.

"That is so cool. Does she have a gun?" Maggie asked, eyes wide.

"Yes," he said.

"So your dad was a spy and your mum is a cop." Nathaniel said.

"Um, yes," he said. "What year are you two?" he asked, hoping to get the focus off him for a while. That was going to take some adjustment. He was used to be one of many with nothing to stand out about him from anyone else really.



Dear Dad and Harmony,

Well, I made it, but I reckon you already know that. Hagrid is as big as you said he’d be. He looked at me kind of funny at first. I’m not sure if he recognized me even without knowing my name, but he didn’t say anything. I didn’t either, but I knew who he was as soon as I saw him from how Harmony described him.

I sat with Teddy on the train and met two of his friends. All Gryffindors. They were nice and I hope we can be friends.

I was sorted into Hufflepuff after a bit of thought by the Sorting Hat. Does it always do that? It said I’m a Granger. Is that true? I mean, I consider Harmony my mum and all so it doesn’t really matter. If it is true, though, well that explains a lot. And yet brings up more questions. I know what you’re going to say, you’ll tell me when it’s time.

He sighed with a pause after writing that sentence. He knew that was what they were going to say.

I met a girl at dinner, Maggie. She sat next to me and started asking me a million questions. I didn’t know what to say to half of them. I kissed her hand like you taught me to, Dad, but she seemed surprised by the gesture. She is muggleborn. Maybe that’s why? I also met third years Casey Bell and Nathaniel Lance. They seemed glad I’m in Hufflepuff with them. Professor Sprout told me on our way to our house that she looked forward to talking to me.

Sherbet is fine. She’s off running around already. I hope she comes back. I’ll miss her sleeping with me if she doesn’t.

Austin looked at the parchment, his quill above it as he read over what he’d written. Was it enough? Not enough? Too much? Was saying he’d miss Sherbet a little boy thing to say?

I miss you, but I am excited. I’ll write more soon. Say hi to Erin. I miss her, too.

Love,

Austin Oliver Snape

He prepared the letter to go. He’d see if Nathaniel or Casey would take him to the owlery tomorrow.

He got ready for bed and slid under the covers, glancing at the other first years sharing his room. He’d never shared a room before. He hadn’t even had to share a bathroom until Erin was born. He sighed softly, staring at the canopy above his bed. Was it okay to be scared and excited both? He hoped so.

A short while later as he was just drifting off to sleep he felt the familiar weight shifting on the bed indicating Sherbet had joined him. He smiled, his fingers kneading the cat’s hind leg causing her to purr. She’d found her way to his room. To him. It would be all right.



"So is he begging to come home already?"

"No," she said, smiling. "It sounds like he’s made some friends."

"Good for him."

"Yes, he’s already ahead of us, isn’t he?"

"Mm," he said, reading the letter over her shoulder.

He chuckled at Austin’s continuing to call Hermione Harmony. He knew how to say her name properly by now, but they both seemed to like the pet name so it seemed to be sticking.

"That Maggie sounds very familiar. I guess no Snape is free from endlessly questioning witches," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"You’re a hilarious wizard."

"He’ll be fine."

"He knows," she said, gesturing to the sentence about who his mum was.

"I think he’s always known, Hermione. Besides, even if you weren’t, you are everything a mother could be to him."

"He wants a brother," she said.

"I know," Severus said, dropping a hand to her swollen abdomen.

"Maybe we should tell him, so he knows?"

He scoffed. "I never knew you could be so soft. He can wait a few weeks like everyone else."

"Fine."

"Come, Wife, there’s Cookies ‘n Creme with your name on it."

"Oh, is it Doctor Who night?"

"It is. Erin likes it."

"I do, too," she said with a slight pout.

Severus had been shocked Hermione had never seen Doctor Who. When he thought she would have during the nineties she wasn’t sure. She supposed there was a chance in the eighties, but her parents just weren’t huge TV watchers. So, while she and Harry had things like Buffy, Angel, and the X-Files; Doctor Who was just for Severus. The current run of the series was on hiatus so they went back and found older episodes to watch.

"Well, then get your ice cream, Witch, and join us."

"Why are you so calm about this," she said, gesturing to Austin’s letter.

"Because I went and survived. You went and survived. He is, to my mind anyway, the best of both of us so I know that he will survive as well."

She looked at the letter once more, running a finger along Austin’s signature. So like his father’s it was kind of eerie really. She wondered how many professors would look at it and think they were seeing a ghost. She smiled slightly at that.

He was right. They’d survived. Austin would, too. At least there were no evil maniacs to deal with.

She went to the kitchen to fetch her ice cream and a spoon, ensuring she had a second spoon for Erin who would no doubt sneak some.

"Hufflepuff, huh," she said under her breath.

"I actually think it’s rather fitting," Severus said. "Again, he is the best of both of us, so yes, I can see it. I know he didn’t want to be in Slytherin."

"Did that bother you?"

"No, in truth, I didn’t want him in Slytherin. He’s going to learn enough about my past as it is while there."

"Mm, yeah," she said, taking a spoonful of ice cream.

She got another spoonful out, offering it to him.

"He’s going to be proud, Severus, no matter what he learns, no matter who he hears it from, he knows that his father is a hero."

Severus rolled his eyes, taking the ice cream.

"As is his mum."

"Yes, well, I’m not the one worried he’s going to unearth my secrets."

"True."

"He’ll love you. Nothing will change that. He’ll see that I love you and that Harry loves and forgives you. No one else will matter because if anyone’s the victim in that story, it’s Harry."

"Well, he is The Boy Who Lives and Lives To Be the Bane Of My Existence after all."

She snorted.

"Daddy?" Erin said.

"Yes, Erin?"

"Can you tell me the story of how you and Mummy met."

"Of course I can. Are you ready?"

"Uh huh."

"Once upon a time there was a very mean professor who lived in a beautiful castle full of magical things but he couldn’t appreciate them."

"Why was he mean, Daddy?"

"Because he’d never had anyone love him."

"Oh, that’s so sad," Erin said.

"Yes, it was very sad. He’d hardened his heart, feeling nothing for years. Along came a student, annoying as anything. Pestering him with questions, stealing his supplies, burning his robes, rescuing convicts, getting herself cursed, and helping to save the world. Little did he know at the time that that student would hold the key to his carefully guarded heart."

Erin giggled then, she knew who the student was.

"One day, the mean professor got hurt very badly. There was a war, you see. The student wouldn’t let him die, though. She sat with her mean professor and talked to him, annoying him far less than anyone else who came to visit. He found himself without having to pretend to hate her as he’d had to for years because of the war realizing that she was smart and kind. Too kind for him, especially in light of some of the things the mean professor had done to help win the war. Things he was confident she would never understand or forgive."

"Soon, the professor left, fleeing the world he’d called home for many years and decided to live alone in a place where there were no castles or magic. Just him and his son. The student showed up again, though, one day and taught the mean professor how to love and gave him the one thing he’d never had but always wished for."

"What’s that?"

"A family," he murmured.

"And he lived happily ever after, creating more magic again, Daddy?"

"He sure did."

~The End~

Return to Top

Part 8

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com