***Chapter Eight***
July 2005
Orlando, Florida

Severus glanced around them at all of the people as they left the last ride they were going on that day.

So many people.

People of all ages.

Some older with no apparent young children with them.

Some with children so young they’d never even recall having such an experience. That seemed awfully wasteful to him, but not his money he supposed. 

"Tell me again why this was a good idea?"

Hermione laughed while she adjusted the pair of ears on Austin’s head. They’d paid to have his name embroidered on them. He was thrilled. Severus not so much, though he knew Hermione was aware he wasn’t having as bad of a time as he let on.

That had been the case the past few months about many things not just this. She made it so he didn’t have a bad time.

"Because every child should see the magic of Disney World."

"I never did."

"That explains so much," she said, reaching up to kiss him.

"Impertinent."

"That’s why you love me."

He nodded his head a bit as if thinking that over. He loved her for a multitude of reasons. Her impertinence was, in fact, one of them. He wouldn’t have her any other way. "You might be right."

She slid her hand into his. He squeezed her hand lightly. "Now, let’s go see some fireworks."

"Really?" he asked. He sort of thought she was kidding that they were staying here for hours longer than they already had.

"I promise, Severus, it will be worth every line we’ve stood in and penny spent today."

"I don’t doubt you," he said, but he did in fact doubt her. A lot. And she knew it, too. "That doesn’t mean I have to pretend I’m … comfortable."

"Oh, God forbid. I would absolutely not want you to do that," she said, smirking cheekily.

The little vixen.

They made their way toward the castle after using the restrooms and ensuring they all had something to drink that would last a few hours. It was early enough they were able to get a seat. Severus presumed she’d done this before. He could admit to feeling … envious that she had a childhood that included such trips. He’d never done a damned thing in his childhood over summer, or any holiday, break.

And yet, she seemed to be getting just as much joy watching him as she was watching Austin. As if it meant as much to her that he was enjoying himself as their son.

So for her he would stop scowling, sit back, and take in a fireworks display.

A fireworks display that he had to admit was more impressive than anything he’d ever seen before. If he didn’t know better he’d swear actual magic was involved. It was that good.

The look on Austin’s face.

Pure awe.

Pure amazement.

Pure enjoyment.

Magical.

Well, she was right.

That was worth every galleon he had in his Gringotts vault.

His son was …. enchanted for lack of a better word. His face and eyes lit up almost as bright as the fireworks display that they were privy to.

He glanced at Hermione who had a similar look on her face.

He could admit it was pretty fucking magical and he hadn’t had to cast a spell or do a damned thing except walk around amongst crowds of people all bleeding day. This was honest and true. Pure happiness.

"It was worth it," he murmured.

She turned then, looking at him. He’d caught her stealing glances at him throughout the display as often as she looked at Austin. She smiled. It wasn’t a fake smile. It was one that made her look as if she thought he’d just gifted her with the moon and the stars. He’d put that look on this incredible witch’s face simply by being happy and appreciative for something she’d shared with him. A piece of her childhood, a memory that with her parents gone albeit not truly he knew that it upset her and yet she wanted Austin and him to experience it anyway.

She was willing to suffer great discomfort for their benefit.

"You humble me," he murmured.

She leaned in then and kissed him.

He vowed there and then to ensure she experienced as few moments of discomfort for the rest of his life as he could see to.

She drew away, kissing the top of Austin’s head, and settled in her seat again to watch the rest of the display.

"Marry us, Hermione," he said.

Her head snapped to look at him again so fast he thought she might hurt herself. She stared at him.

"Do I need to ask again?"

"Yes," she said.

"Is that your answer to my first question or the second one?"

"Well, you really only asked one question. The first was more of a statement posed as a question."

"Mm," he said.

"No, you don’t need to ask again. My answer is yes."

"Even if it means I don’t rejoin the wizarding world until Austin goes to school?"

"Even if," she said. "That’s your plan, isn’t it? Marry me so I send him off to Hogwarts and you don’t have to."

"You catch on quick," he said with a low chuckle.

"My answer is still yes."

"Fantastic," he said.

"And you said this place wasn’t really magical," she said, leaning in to kiss him again.

"Oh?"

"Severus Snape proposed marriage. That’s magical."

He rolled his eyes. "A boy needs his mother."

"I agree," she said, though they both knew that wasn’t the reason he was asking. Not truly.

"And maybe a sibling?"

She looked at Austin and kissed the top of his head, ruffling his hair a bit afterward.

"I’d like that," she said.

"Me, too," he said.

She leaned in then, kissing his ear. "That means you’ll actually have to make love to me, Severus," she whispered, kissing his neck.

"That would be the plan, yes," he murmured.

"Is it?"

"I’m trying to act like a considerate wizard. For once in my life."

"It is appreciated," she said. He knew it was. His experiences had not been vast and certainly had never involved … emotion or a commitment. She was essentially living at his place now. She had clothes there and his bathroom now had two toothbrushes by the sink instead of just his. She had hair products on the edge of his tub and he now had a side of the bed. He had not pushed for more than they’d done because he sensed her experiences were even less than his and he would let her set the pace as to what she was ready for. He had no doubt she’d take the initiative when she was ready.

"It got you to say yes at any rate."

They both looked at Austin who while still enthralled was very clearly on his last leg. He’d been up since before six o’clock in the morning out of excitement and it was closing in on midnight. They’d be going to the other parks in the area as well and then other things that were nearby. She’d even arranged to rent a convertible for one day so that Austin could get the experience of driving on the area beaches. Evidently as a child she’d found that to be a cool thing to be able to talk about.

"Do you think he’ll have any problems going to sleep?" she asked.

"No," he said.

"Suddenly I’m looking very forward to going home tonight."

"I assure you I am as well." More than he could put into words.

"Are you sure?"

"We have nothing on our itinerary tomorrow, correct?"

"Right. I mean, nothing concrete. We can arrive at the rest of the parks anytime, really. This is the one I always thought needed the whole day treatment."

"So that means we can have a bit of a lie-in tomorrow, which would mean lots of time tonight."

"You’re not exhausted from being out all day?"

"Cheeky witch, no, I assure you I am not. Should I be worried about you?"

"Not in this lifetime."

"Excellent. Where can we apparate from in this place again?" They were staying at his property here in Florida. It was how she’d come up with this idea. He’d mentioned spending a few days here. It snowballed into Disney World, Sea World, Universal Studios, and other such touristy things. Austin was in heaven at the very idea. He, of course, had heard about all of these things by now.

She chuckled. "Patience, Wizard."

"Oh, Hermione, you should know I am incredibly patient when I need to be. I just don’t think I need to be any longer."

"Is that right?" she murmured, kissing him.

He shifted Austin onto his lap, drawing Hermione closer to him. "I will show you later," he whispered.

"I think I’m going to enjoy impatient Severus Snape," she whispered, settling against his side for the rest of the fireworks.

"Oh, and Hermione," he said against her ear.

"Yes?"

"This was a good idea."

"You really think so?"

"I do. I look forward to whatever else you have planned."

Something told Severus that this was going to be a most enjoyable ten days of vacation. Certainly the most enjoyable he’d ever had to this point. He had no doubt the rest coming after this one would be as well.

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com