Chapter Thirty-Four
New Year's Day 1999

Hermione was awake and ready to go pretty early considering how late they'd finally fallen asleep the night before. If one could call after four in the morning the night before. Severus learned upon waking up that their very thorough explorations with her wearing shoes, stockings, and garters in various positions were, in fact, attempts at creating a child.

He wouldn't deny that he was scared to death of the thought of turning into his father, but after learning his father was in fact not a muggle but a squib who'd been disowned by his magical family. Well, he doubted if he ever really knew his father at all. He wondered if his mother even knew his true status. She'd never given Severus any inclination that she was aware his father came from a magical family. As it turned out, Snape wasn't even his true last name, not that Severus would change it because he preferred the anonymity of Snape versus the Travers name he could go by. Supposedly as Tobias Travers Snape's only living relative Severus could lay claim to what meager estate there was left. He had not wanted any part of it, but did instruct the solicitor to do so on Hermione's behalf should that need arise only in the event of his demise. Hopefully, that would not happen for several decades.

Fortunately, he'd survived the war and no longer had to worry about ensuring his soulmate was able to keep a roof over her head. Ultimately he knew Hermione would not want Tobias' money anymore than Severus did, but he wanted all of his bases covered at the time.

"You're up early," he observed as she came out of their bedroom, showered and dressed for the day.

"Odette and I are going to be busy so we have to get started early."

"I see," he said, though he didn't.

He was told where to be and when this evening, the same as the others included in this dinner idea of hers but he had no idea what she had planned.

She leaned down after performing a drying spell on her hair, kissing him on the cheek.

"I love you. Thank you for today."

"And I you, my sweet. You two witches have fun."

"We will!"

"You sound entirely too happy with yourself. Should I be scared?"

"No! It's a surprise, and it will be fun! That's all you need to know."

"All right. I'll see you later then."

"And we're okay?" she asked, sounding uncertain.

"You mean, did I notice that the vial of potion is still intact this morning and am I okay with said decision? If that's your question, yes. I'm fine with it as I said last night. I will be happy to prove to you again tonight that my enthusiasm was not a figment of your imagination nor has it changed knowing what you've decided."

"Thank you," she said. "Have a good day," she said, making her way from their quarters to find Odette.


Their first stop was a muggle grocery store, which Odette found almost more fascinating than the mall they'd gone to. Hermione found that funny. Odette was a pretty girl and the guy who checked them out couldn't keep his eyes off of her. He tried to make conversation, but she wasn't having any of that.

"It's alright to talk to someone," Hermione said once they were outside.

"I have no idea what to say!"

"Hi, my name's Odette. What's yours?"

"Merlin," she said, blushing scarlet. It was sweet, and Hermione suspected it would be quite some time before Odette would assert herself in such a way.

Their next stop was a liquor store and then a place that sold party-type supplies. There were a few things in particular she was hoping to be able to find there on such short notice. With yesterday being New Year's Eve she imagined she'd be able to find most of it.

They made it back to Hermione's house. She felt guilty walking around it knowing her parents had no idea they even had this house. Or a daughter who'd be missing them. She sighed heavily as she put the things in the fridge that needed to be kept cold. Severus had, amazingly enough, thought to add this house's monthly bills as a task his solicitor kept current each month while they were on the run. When he'd found out the men sent for them had come up empty handed he'd made the arrangements, having no idea what Hermione had done but assuming it was her doing. He had not allowed her to pay him back or pay for the utilities now. It was one of the many things she loved about him, and was so grateful he'd let her get to know this part of him. She wagered there wasn't a soul alive who would believe her if she tried to tell them how generous and giving he was.

Then she went to the dining area, adjusted the table and chairs so they'd all be able to sit comfortably. Odette was impressed she didn't need magic for that task, the table was extendable by adding leaves to it. That done she went to the living room and that's where she had fun. Odette had some charms and transfiguration abilities, but for the most part Hermione charmed and transfigured things so that the living room would have the feel of a muggle club (not that Hermione had very much experience with muggle clubs but she'd seen enough of them in the newspaper and on the television to have an idea).

She put Odette to work, listening to records and putting together a mixtape they could use later. Of course, most of Hermione's records were a bit outdated but they'd still do the trick for what she wanted.

"I don't know any of the music, though," Odette had said.

"That's okay. It really doesn't matter. Just something you think could be danced to. Slow or fast. It's just the small group of us, no one's going to judge and likely only Harry will have heard any of the music before to have any preconceived opinion about it."

"Okay," she said and had gone about her task while Hermione went upstairs to look at the bedrooms.

She wasn't sure if anyone would drink to the point of not being able to apparate, but she wanted to be prepared just in case. Were Ron and Luna physical? Were Harry and Ginny? She knew Ginny wanted to be, but she didn't think they'd quite gotten to that point yet. So, two bedrooms with a double bed in each were converted into two bedrooms with two single beds. Would Draco come? Would he spend the night? A third bedroom was prepared just in case. She knew she, Severus, and Odette would be fine as she wasn't planning on drinking anything but water tonight. She set up a room for Odette and her and Severus, too, though just in case. Maybe he'd like a night away from Hogwarts before the students came back.

There was something she hadn't thought about. Another idea for another time when she had more time to plan. She knew his time at Malfoy Manor had not been a vacation, so she was going to see to it that they got one this summer and had a perfect idea if she could make it work.

Sleeping arrangements taken care of and Odette busy listening to records and making a tape for them, she went to the kitchen to start on preparing dinner. She called Odette in a couple of times so she could watch and help her do a few things the muggle way, but overall she left the younger witch alone to discover some new interests without interruption. And music while she was prepping was nice.

About an hour before everyone was supposed to arrive she and Odette set the dining room table with the good China, silver, and crystal. She got a little teary looking at it, trying to remember the last time the formal stuff had been used. They then finished getting the living room ready. She hoped no one would think this was stupid. They couldn't bring Odette to a club, though, and this idea seemed like a good one at the time. She sighed, pushing her bangs out of her way in an attempt to push the doubts away, too.

She led the other girl upstairs to what was once Hermione's bedroom and opened her closet.

"I never really got a chance to go through any of my things that don't fit me anymore. If you want to find something muggle to wear for the night, you can."

"Really?"

"Yes, help yourself to anything here. Mum always meant to donate stuff, but I don't think she got around to it since I started at Hogwarts so there's plenty. I've got some necklaces and bracelets on the dresser, too. Have at it!"

She went to her parents' room then and the master bath to change and get ready. Her stomach was in knots now that it was closing in on the time everyone was supposed to be here. The wild card of whether Draco would be here and if he would think her plans were ridiculously stupid made her more than a little pensive.

"This was a stupid idea, Hermione. You should've just suggested a muggle restaurant and left it at that."

Odette appeared in the doorway. She'd found a dress, necklace, and some bangle bracelets to wear. She'd clearly heard Hermione's little tirade.

"I think it's a neat idea," she said. "Harry's lucky to have a friend like you."

Hermione smiled at the girl.

"Thank you, I'm just nervous. I've never done anything like this before and I'm doubting myself and whether everyone will think it's a stupid idea especially if Draco comes. We haven't exactly gotten along very well at all until recently. Not to mention my cooking skills. I am not Molly Weasley and what if Severus finally realizes he really got the short end of the stick when it gets down to it."

"How could they? I think Harry will be super impressed that you thought of him. And you obviously don't need to be Mrs. Weasley, it smells great. So if that's any indication it will taste great, too. I don't know the headmaster well or anything, but I can't see him happy with anyone except you."

She shrugged, smoothing down her skirt as she regarded herself in the bathroom mirror. "I don't know." She turned her attention to Odette finally taking in the dress she'd put on. "You look nice," Hermione said. "I can try to braid your hair if you like? I admit, those types of things aren't my strong suit, but I can do a basic braid."

"Sure," she said, sitting on a nearby chair that Hermione herself had sat in many times as a little girl for just this task. Only she was the one getting her hair braided.

"Okay. Are you ready to help me be a hostess?"

"Sure," she said. "What do I need to do?"

"Nothing, you've helped me already. Just help me put stuff on the table when we get to that point."

"Oh, sure," she said.

Harry and Ginny were the first to show up, though Severus and Draco were right behind them and Ronald and Luna were a few minutes after him.

"What's going on ‘Mione," Ron said as they went to the receiving room. She'd always thought the room was weird, but given the living room's transfiguration and her wanting it to be a surprise she was glad for it.

"Well, Odette got me thinking that Harry doesn't really get to go anywhere without the Prophet following his every move. I had the idea that dinner out would be nice at a muggle restaurant, and then I thought why don't I bring you all here for a muggle dinner."

"Uh, ‘Mione," Ronald said.

"Please don't criticize my cooking based on a time we were on the run and cooking rabbits and whatever else we could catch on a stove I was not familiar with. I'd never cooked with magic! Did you honestly think I don't know how to cook at all?"

"Well," Ronald said, seeming as if he did.

"Thank you very much," she said. "I'm sure my mother will be happy to know you think she taught me nothing!" Ron paled a bit at that comment.

"Everyone seemed to have a good time last night," Harry offered in his typical way of trying to diffuse a possible argument between Ron and Hermione.

"It was fun," she said.

She excused herself after a few minutes of conversation between everyone, Odette followed her, and Severus joined them in the kitchen as well.

"It smells quite good," he said.

"Not you, too," she said with a roll of her eyes.

"No, however, I have never been privy to any of your cooking so allow me to be impressed. Not that I should expect any different with you by now."

"Thank you," she said, reaching up to kiss him.

"What can I do to help?"

"Honestly, nothing, Odette and I have it pretty under control. You can make sure the five of them don't get into a shouting match, I suppose," she said, gesturing to the receiving room.

"Draco has assured me he will be on his best behavior. He seemed pleased you included him so I think he will watch himself. So, this is what you did all day?"

"Not quite," she said, blushing a bit.

"You're not going to tell me?"

"Nope, it's a surprise for everyone."

"Mysterious," he said. He took in the pots and pans as well as the various other items that reflected a day's worth of cooking had transpired.

"How did you enjoy your day in a muggle home, Miss Milward?"

"It was fun. I got to listen to music and help Hermione in the kitchen some."

"Good," he said with a nod. He leaned against the counter, watching the two witches as they worked together. For never being around muggle things, the Slytherin followed Hermione's instructions confidently. Hermione had turned a radio on in the kitchen to a station that appeared to be playing jazz.

"You could tell everyone they can come into the dining room now if you'd like to feel useful," she said.

"Of course," he said, inclining his head slightly in relief at being given a task.

Everyone seemed to know to save the two end seats for Hermione and Severus. Odette ended up sitting next to Hermione versus in between Ron and Luna with Harry and Ginny across from them. Draco sat with them but at Severus' end of the table.

"This looks great, Hermione," Ginny said. "I can't wait to tell Mom."

"Thank you," Hermione asked.

She found out what everyone wanted to drink besides the water they'd already poured at each place setting before getting it and then finally sitting down.

Hermione held up her glass of water.

"To a happy and healthy 1999 for all of us," she said. "That's what tonight was for. You are the most important people to me and I thought what better way of ensuring the year goes well than to kick it off together."

Everyone replied with something similar and they tucked into their plates of roast, potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and gravy. The gravy had probably been the hardest part of the meal!

"This is really good, ‘Mione," Ronald said.

"Thank you," she said.

"I'll never doubt you again."

"Somehow I doubt that's true, but I'll remind you of today when it does happen."

He rolled his eyes with a shake of his head.

Gratefully, the conversation flowed pretty easily. Hermione wasn't sure if Harry and Ron were getting more used to the fact that she was with Severus but the awkwardness that was there even just a few months ago wasn't there tonight. It helped, she supposed, that Severus was making an effort, too.

"Your mother loved green beans," he said to Harry while cutting through a few of the ones on his plate.

"What?" Harry asked.

"Green beans. Your mother loved them. I'd never had fresh ones until I ate at her house one evening shortly after I'd made her acquaintance."

"Really?"

"Your grandparents, the Evans', were quite nice and certainly better parents than mine. I never knew there was such a thing as a vegetable that didn't come out of a can until that dinner. Your grandmother made these green beans that your mother loved with almonds and shallots in them if I recall."

"Did you like them?"

"It was good," he admitted with a slight nod of his head. Severus met Harry's gaze then and Harry nodded slightly. Hermione saw his eyes watering a bit.

That was very kind of you. Thank you.

He has not annoyed me overmuch the last few times I've seen him, I figured I owed him something for that.

The dinner and dessert of bread pudding seemed to have gone over very well. Hermione was pleased. Now for the rest.

"May I be excused for a moment?" Odette asked.

"Of course," Hermione said with a smile.

They'd planned this so it wasn't unexpected. She'd taught Odette the spell to put the finishing touches on the living room and was confident in the young witch's ability to get it right. After getting everything into the kitchen she peeled back the sheet she'd rigged up to act as a divider between the living and dining rooms. Otherwise, the room was one big open space.

"Welcome to Club Snape," Odette called out, obviously having just finished the spell so the disco ball glittered and spun.

On this side of the sheet, they could see that it was split into Slytherin and Gryffindor colors as well as some other green and red things around the room.

Severus' eyebrow shot up. Draco looked a bit gobsmacked and amused, but not in a bad way.

"What?" Hermione asked with a shrug.

Odette went to the stereo and turned on the tape she'd made. Hermione had a few, very dated, others for when they got through this one.

"The bar is over there, help yourself to whatever you want to drink. There's more mixers in the kitchen fridge if we run out. Dancing is over there," Hermione said, pointing to the section she'd transfigured under the disco ball to be a wooden dance floor.

"You are full of surprises, Witch," Severus whispered in her ear as he came up behind her, sliding his arms around her. She settled her hands over his, turning her head a bit and leaning back to kiss him.

Odette, Ginny, and Luna went to the bar to fetch the first round of drinks. No alcohol for Odette, of course. They set their drinks down on tables and set off for the small dance floor to dance to Ace of Base.

"Am I your fox then, Witch?" Severus whispered against her ear, kissing it.

"I'm never leaving you in the morning or any other time of day. I also don't already have a baby."

He chuckled softly. "Yet," he murmured.

"Are you going to be all right if I go dance?" she asked as Bowie's Let's Dance started.

"I think I'll survive," he said.

"Thank you."

She went then and joined the other girls on the dance floor. She noticed on her way that Ginny and Luna had gotten drinks for Ron and Harry, too. Draco evidently had gotten his own, too, though she hadn't seen him do it. She had not gotten anything for Severus.

I can get my own beverage.

How did you know?

I saw you looking at their drinks, their witches brought them. I knew you'd realize you hadn't done the same for me. Holding you was far more satisfying than you bringing me a beer.

She giggled softly, though no one else knew what she was laughing about.

Eventually, Ron and Harry joined them. Even Draco seemed as if he was enjoying the music and dancing. She never would have believed it if she wasn't seeing it! Severus came out to dance with her whenever a slow song came on. Their first dance ever was to Louis Armstrong's A Kiss To Build A Dream On.

Everyone took turns dancing a slow dance with Odette, even Severus, so she wouldn't feel left out.

"She made this?" Severus asked when the tape was just about done.

"She did," Hermione said.

"She did very well for having no experience with muggle music."

"I would agree," she said. She found one of the old mix tapes she'd made years ago and put it in. "Don't judge me," she said as MC Hammer started singing U Can't Touch This. He smirked.

"This is yours?"

"It was, when I was like eleven," she said.

He seemed to find that thought intriguing then and every time she looked at him he seemed to be taking note of the songs she'd chosen years ago to include on this tape.

The crisps, pretzels, and nuts she'd bought for everyone to snack on seemed to be getting eaten, which she was glad for. She'd set aside a bag of crisps and pretzels for Odette because she'd seemed interested in them.

Harry and Hermione were the only ones who'd ever heard Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back before when it came up.

"You're lucky I'm more than a little tipsy," Harry said, joining her on the dance floor to dance with her even though he was a guy. Ginny and Luna eventually joined them with Ron, Draco, and Severus staring at them as if they were imagining things. Maybe they were. Midway through the song she went to Severus grabbing his hand so he stood and she danced against him, which if she wasn't mistaken he seemed to like. A lot. Good to know for another time.

That was followed by Macarena, which Harry was not familiar with. She only knew it because it had been played at not one but two weddings Hermione's parents had taken her to one summer. So Hermione spent a good amount of time teaching the Macarena to everyone wanting to learn it before they played the song again so they could do it all the way through the song.

Love Shack seemed to be a hit, too. God, some of these songs took Hermione back to hearing them for the first time. Before Hogwarts. Before Harry and Ron. Harry seemed to be having similar thoughts as he nodded a little in her direction as she went to go sit next to Severus who was talking with Draco and he continued to dance with Ginny and Odette. Luna and Ron were taking a break to snog it seemed.

Hermione settled on Severus' lap, sliding her arms around his neck. "Do I get that, too?" she asked, inclining her head toward Ron and Luna.

"With one of them?"

"My hilarious wizard," she said, reaching in to kiss him.

"We can stay here tonight if you think Hogwarts will survive until breakfast without you. There are rooms made up for everyone."

"Minerva returned today and said she'd be on duty tonight so we can do that if you'd like to."

"I think I would," she said. "I made up beds for everyone not knowing how much anyone would drink."

"This was an odd, but good idea."

"Well, I didn't want to take Odette to dinner and have to leave her behind at Hogwarts for the dancing part."

"You have grown quite fond of her," he observed.

"I have," she said. "She's nice and she was very helpful today. She loved the grocery. I showed her a little bit of what I was doing in the kitchen, just so she could see how muggles do things, but she really went to town on the album collection."

He chuckled softly.

"I happen to like your butt just the way it is, by the way."

"Is that right, Headmaster Snape?"

"Indeed," he said, letting his hand slide down along her back to cup said butt. He leaned in then, grazing her neck with his lips and then her ear. "When you ride me facing away from me, I love watching it, touching it."

"Spanking it," she whispered, breath hitched.

"That, too," he said wryly.

He never got beyond playful swats and she was fine with it. She'd heard horror stories of things Death Eaters like Lucius Malfoy and Corban Yaxley were into from witches she'd overheard, or had to hear about at their trials, and she was very grateful that while Severus was possessive as all get out that never extended to physical harm in their bedroom. Or wherever they had sex.

"You know," Ron said from behind Hermione. Hermione broke from kissing Severus and shifted a bit to look at her friend. Draco was doing his best to try and pretend he hadn't heard at least part of what they'd just said. "It should bother me to see Snape's hands on you like that."

"And it doesn't?" she asked.

"You know, no. No offense, but he's not the most emotionally receptive guy, even Mom says that, so it's nice to see he can be affectionate with you."

"I assure you, Mr. Weasley, I know how to be affectionate with my wife."

"Oh right, I just meant, you're touching her. In front of us, which is something I never thought I'd see. It's nice to see, that means you want to."

"You think I wouldn't?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I guess, no. I know the soul marks are there and everything, but that doesn't mean you actually would go out of your way to be happy and make her happy."

"I assure you I don't paw her in front of the world."

"Nor would I expect you to," Ron said.

"It's romantic," Luna piped in. "To see you both in love and happy. That's all Ron's trying to say. We don't see you often so we like to see proof that you're truly both happy together."

"Thank you, Mr. Weasley," Severus said then.

He huffed. "Come on, Luna, let's go back and dance," he said.

Hermione giggled softly, kissing his ear. "I do like when you show you like touching me."

"Is this shocking? I'm not sure I understand the comment," he glanced briefly at Draco who shrugged. His attention was on the dance floor, Hermione noticed. He was listening but not completely.

"Well, I think Ron knows his parents aren't the norm as far as couples who openly display they love one another. I think the Malfoys are, or were, obviously fond of each other, but I've never seen Draco's father with his hand on his mother's ass."

Never would either considering his father was in Azkaban for years yet.

Draco turned to look at her after that comment looking absolutely horrified at the very idea. Severus merely smirked at that.

"Nor have I now that you mention it. Thankfully."

She laughed. "I'm glad you're comfortable enough around my friends to be demonstrative."

"You trust them and I know that they can keep their mouths shut."

"Yes," she whispered. "Now kiss me some more."

"Gladly," he said.

Everyone decided to stay the night and around three in the morning the house was closed down and quiet for the night. She didn't imagine anyone was waking up early in the morning given this was their second real late night in a row. Odette got Hermione's old bedroom. Draco, Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Luna were in guest bedrooms that had rarely been used unless Hermione's grandparents came for visits.

"Can we do me on my hands and knees tonight?" she asked.

"You know that is a favorite of mine, but why?"

"I'll admit I want you, badly, but I'm exhausted."

"Ah, so quick and to the point then, Madam Snape?"

"Well, you can take as long as you please, but I may just not be as active a participant as usual," she said as she wandlessly removed her clothes before sliding into bed and moving to her hands and knees. He never disappointed her this way. He always used his fingers to make sure she was ready for him and tonight was no exception. She was very ready, but he still took his time before sliding into her and giving her the somewhat quick but very thorough shagging she'd asked for.

"I will sleep well for sure now," she whispered, curling up against him.

He kissed the top of her head.

"Thank you for dancing with me," she murmured.

"Thank you for wanting to."

"I'd dance with you anytime."

"Good night, my sweet."

"Good night, love," she murmured.

Return to Top

Part 33 | Part 35

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com