Chapter Thirty-Five
February 1999

The students came back and they fell into their normal routine again. Hermione had taken over a lot of the potions Madam Pomfrey kept on-hand and occasionally Odette would help her, or sit and do her homework while Hermione worked. The girl didn't seem to have many friends. She was always engaged at the Slytherin table during meals and she talked to others in classes, but outside of class and eating she seemed to stick to herself.

Severus was busy working with Kingsley and others in the Ministry on various things, including some sort of celebration on May 2. Severus didn't think they should do any sort of celebration, but instead a low-key memorial of some sort. He knew, for instance, the Weasleys were still mourning the loss of Fred as well as Andromeda Tonks the loss of Nymphadora and Remus Lupin both. They were not alone. A celebration seemed tacky. Hermione couldn't agree more, but the Ministry would do what the Ministry wanted to do. They both realized that.

Ron had indeed left auror training and gone to work with George, who was still working on perfecting whatever it is he'd recruited Odette into helping him with on New Year's Eve. They showed up at Hogwarts a few times to meet with her. Ron sure loved the attention he got whenever he was seen here. He was certainly the one to embrace the fame of being a member of the Golden Trio where Hermione and Harry just wanted to be left alone.

Valentine's Day was this weekend and Hermione had insisted to Severus he not go through any huge effort that men typically did for their wives on the holiday of hearts, candy, and roses. She had a surprise for him, the only thing he knew was that he needed a formal muggle suit. He'd grumbled, saying that it was the husband that was supposed to pamper the wife but she was hearing none of it. He was a hero and deserved some pampering, too. Minerva had agreed to be on duty over the weekend and she'd gotten some help from Harry and Ron in making arrangements since she was running ragged most days of the week basically doing dual apprenticeships even if Potions was unofficial on top of preparing for her NEWTs (which she was hoping to feel ready enough to sit before the Easter holidays).

They left after Hermione was done with classes Friday and stopped first at the Sherlock Holmes Museum. It was near the hotel she'd picked out and she thought he'd like it since they'd talked about the books more than a few times. Then a nice dinner before checking into their room for the night.

"This is very nice," he said as they relaxed in their tub together. The bubble bath she'd packed was very floral, so he was going to smell very girly when they were done but she knew he didn't truly mind.

"I'm glad you think so."

"It's more than needed to be done."

"Says you. You deserve a weekend away."

"I will admit no noise, no ghosts, and no talking portraits does have merit."

She smirked, resting her head against his shoulder. His hands were resting possessively over her abdomen and she sighed contentedly.

"So, no clue as to tomorrow?"

"Nope," she said.

"I have my ways, you know, to garner information."

"I know you do, but Mr. Double Agent, you're going to let your wife surprise and pamper you like the good husband you are."

"If I must," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"You absolutely must."

The following day was spent at Madame Tussauds. She had her muggle camera and took tons of pictures. An early dinner after they'd changed into their more formal muggle clothes before arriving at the London Palladium. She saw his lips twitch when he saw the marquee display.

"Is this some sort of joke about the fact I was alive when the movie came out?"

"No, I've actually read good things about the show," she said with a shrug. "I'd never do that!"

"We had a neighbor who liked The Bee Gees and listened to this soundtrack endlessly as loud as he could the summer after I finished at Hogwarts. I only stayed at Spinner's End for a week or so while I got my things in order."

He trailed off then. They both knew what those things were.

"Did you ever see the movie?"

"No," he said with a gentle sneer.

"Not a John Travolta fan then I take it."

"Who?"

"He was the star, Tony Manero."

"Oh. I guess I'm not familiar enough, no."

"We'll have to watch Grease sometime," she said, clutching his arm as she handed him their tickets to present for entry. She could've done it, but she knew that the Victorian propriety that the wizarding world adhered so closely to would make Severus feel as if it was his job to do so lest someone think his witch was buying him tickets to a West End show. (Of course she had, but that was neither here nor there, she supposed.)

"That was actually rather … pleasant," he said as they waited for the crowd to disperse before taking their leave.

"I'm glad you thought so."

"It's not what I would have picked for you if I'd been the one doing the choosing."

"Well, you can choose another time," she said, resting her head against his shoulder.

"I've never been," he admitted and she nodded slightly, somehow guessing that was the case. When would he have had the chance?

"Well, you know what I was thinking?"

"Hmm?"

"Would you take me sometime to see Phantom of the Opera?"

"If you wish."

"I think you're not truly understanding the scope of my question, Severus." Of course she knew he'd take her to a show she wanted to see if she asked him to.

"Oh?"

"You used your device to visit me as a child. I want you to use it to take me to opening week of Phantom of the Opera."

"I see," he said. "I hadn't thought…"

"We wouldn't be changing anything. I don't want to see anyone or do anything, but how exciting it would be to see it when it opened."

"That would really interest you?"

"Yes! If I knew how to work it myself I'd love to surprise you with a Bowie or Who concert, but I don't so I'm stuck telling you what I'd like to see."

He grew quiet then, and she wondered if she was asking too much.

"You know, I believe you love me. I know you do as much as I do not understand the why of it. I've been in your mind so I do know it's the truth. You say things like that, though, and it truly is my undoing."

"Say things like what?"

"That you'd take into consideration my interests, my loves, and want to do something for me."

"I want to do everything for you, Severus. Your years of being anyone's puppet or having a master are done. I want to give you everything you never had."

"I am a lucky wizard to have such a witch by my side."

"Hmm, the luckiest."

"Humble, too," he sniggered.

"I love you," she whispered.

"I love you."

"And, yes, we could do that," he said.

She gave a soft squeal of delight, mindful they weren't completely alone even if no one was paying them any mind. They found a place open after the show and enjoyed some tea and dessert before returning to their room. She'd thought about doing the zoo the following day, but the forecast was pretty chilly and she wasn't sure either of them would want to bother with warming charms around muggles. So, they decided on one of the nearby museums instead, which was just fine with her.

It was after dinner when they returned to Hogwarts and Hermione had to admit the weekend did what she'd hoped. She couldn't recall seeing Severus look so relaxed. For two days he'd been able to just be Severus and she loved that she was able to be the one to share those days with him.

"Severus," she said softly when she saw the bouquet of roses in their sitting room.

"I've heard tell that wizards don't pay attention to half the things their witches tell them. Just chalk it up to that," he said as she sniffed the roses and eyed the exotic-looking chocolates that were on the table next to them.

"Thank you," she said.

"It's less than you deserve, but you are welcome."

"It's a dumb holiday."

"While I might agree, I'd be derelict in my duties in announcing that I am pleased you are my Valentine everyday, Hermione."

"I love being yours, Severus."

"How did you convince Minerva to give me the whole weekend anyway?"

"I didn't have to convince her very hard or anything. She agreed with me that you deserved a respite. However, I did agree to take her rounds for the next couple of weeks."

"Hermione!"

"What? It's fine. I'll still be able to get my work done. Students seem to know when I have rounds and being your wife decide to behave themselves those nights. I think they're scared that some of your abilities have rubbed off on me."

"It's not my abilities I want to rub off on you."

"I was hoping you'd say that since we still have the rest of the night just us."

She blushed, taking his hands to lead him to their bedroom. She eyed the red nightie set on the bed, obviously for her.

"It's lovely," she whispered.

"Can I put it on you?"

"You want to put it on me? Usually you can't get them off me fast enough."

This wasn't the first nightie that had appeared on their bed. She'd love to get mad and think that he was objectifying her, but she enjoyed the feel of the silky and satiny fabrics he always chose as much as he did. And the couple of times she'd greeted him in nothing but one after a long grueling day of meetings and complaints their sex had been fanastic and enthusiastic. It was a simple thing that she could do to let him know she did indeed want him. She knew he still doubted it sometimes.

Or more than sometimes.

"Maybe I want to see you in red," he said, bowing his head a little.

She stepped toward him after wandlessly shedding her clothes and grabbing the nightie in question. "You are welcome to put it on me. You don't ever have to ask me, Severus" she said.

He took it from her then and she lifted her arms up so that he could slide it over her arms and head, letting it skim over her skin in the lovely way satin did.

"So," she said as he stepped back to admire her before shedding his own clothes.

His eyebrows arched up in a silent question as she took him in. She loved looking at him. Like loving him, he didn't understand her fascination with his form. He thought the scars and blemishes made him ugly, however, she found him sexy and perfect, scars and all. She realized others may not find him attractive, but he wasn't their wizard so it didn't matter to her what anyone else thought. The scars to her were evidence of his dedication to a cause. The arms and hands she loved to admire would do anything to protect her, and those earning his loyalty. His eyes, dark as they were could betray emotion to those who he let get close enough to see it.

She counted herself immensely lucky she was one of the few he let get close enough. Odette was beginning to be one of them, too, and that made her heart warm in ways she couldn't explain.

"This is what it takes for you to dress me in Gryffindor colors," she said cheekily.

He chuckled softly as he closed the distance between them, sliding his hands around her to cup her lower back and ass as he tugged her against him.

"Just wait," he murmured. "I hear there is a holiday for St. Patrick next month. I believe that color is green."

"I can't wait," she said, claiming his mouth.

Return to Top

Part 34 | Part 36

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com