Chapter Thirty-Three
New Year's Eve 1998

"If Miss Milward was not going with us I'd suggest we stay home for the night."

"I know you would," she said, sliding an earring into place.

"You look good enough to eat, Witch."

She was wearing a muggle little black velvet party dress with black stockings and heels higher than she'd ever worn before in her life. The dress was short enough that if she wasn't careful people would see she was wearing stockings with a muggle garter belt keeping them in place. She'd bought them while shopping with Odette, leaving her to shop on her own for a few minutes.

"That is for you to do later," she replied, letting her eyes wander over his form. He was dressed casually, no robes for him tonight. Just a pair of black denims and a button up shirt. It reminded her of the times she'd seen him growing up. She had to admit as nice as he looked in his robes, she loved him in muggle clothes. He was even wearing the leather jacket that she liked so well tonight.

"I will hold you to that after hours with Potter and Weasleys."

"You seemed like you were talking to him decently at Christmas."

"He wasn't too trying," he admitted. A ringing endorsement for Severus when it came to Harry.

"He would love to hear about his mother, Severus, in your own time. That's not all he wants from you, though. You're my husband, he's like a brother to me. He has no real family left, really. We're it. This is weird for him, too, I'm sure"

"I am working on it!"

"I know you are, and I'm not pushing, honestly. I'm just telling you that he's not being nice to you solely because you have information about his mum no one else has."

"Thank you," he said, and she knew he was being sincere, not sarcastic. She understood this wasn't easy for him, the age difference between him and her friends wasn't even the part that made it most uncomfortable for him.

Odette joined them when it was time to go. Hermione could tell the younger witch was both nervous and excited. She wasn't sure which one was more prevalent, but wagered she was going to have a good time tonight regardless. She knew no one there would purposely exclude or do anything to make her feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.

"You look so nice," Hermione said.

"You do, too. And my nails still look nice!"

The young Slytherin held a hand out to show her. One nail looked like there was a chip along the cuticle, but Hermione only noticed because Odette held her nails out for her to look at them. Chances were she wouldn't be doing that to anyone else for them to notice.

"They will stay that way as long as you don't abuse them."

"Ready then, ladies?"

They each grabbed one of his arms. He was apparating them from within the castle because of Hermione's shoes. She wasn't complaining about not having to walk through the snow in them.

They arrived on the step to Grimmauld Place without incident. Hermione knew that apparating two people was more taxing. He had said that the fact she knew where they were going and could focus on the step with him would help. She realized that was probably why she was always exhausted after apparating with Ronald and Harry when they were on the run. Neither of them cared to study a map well enough to be able to picture where they were going so they'd relied on her to get them where they'd intended to go.

Hermione paused after Harry opened the door.

"Hermione," Severus said, clearly asking a question.

She met Harry's eyes and took a deep, strengthening breath. Oh God, oh God. Why tonight of all nights? Why this place? She'd been here, she'd stayed here. Why was this place making her feel as if she was going to hyperventilate or something? She'd thought she was doing pretty well with stress from the war and the past few years, but at this very moment she could not cross the threshold that would bring her into the house.

Severus grew concerned then. "Hermione? Are you alright?"

"I'm betting it's because it's the first time she's been back here since you were so injured, Sir," Harry offered. His eyes were on her, though, actually both wizards were watching her rather intently. Neither seemed to know what to do and she had no idea what to tell them. They weren't used to her showing weakness or vulnerability. Well, Severus was, but not publicly. Could that be all? This was the place Severus had done his recuperating. He was well, though, better than well.

"Ah," he said, seeming to understand. They'd met at the Leaky Cauldron when they'd discussed Odette's home situation with Harry before because Severus hadn't been too keen on setting foot in the Black house again.

"Come on in, Odette. The headmaster will get it all sorted out, I'm sure. I understand Hermione took you to muggle London. Did you have a good time?" Harry asked, leading the student into the house while Severus stayed with Hermione.

"Are you all right, Wife?"

Watching Odette enter the house seemed to snap her out of whatever episode she was having. "Yeah, I just, God of all the things that I thought would hit me, coming back here was way low on the list."

"It's natural, Hermione. You're fine. I'm fine and healed. It's safe. I know there are Death Eaters out there still, but Harry has worked with Kingsley to ensure the wards are secure. We will be safe here. All of us."

"I know," she said. He offered her his hand, and she took it, sighing heavily as she crossed over the threshold. "Thank you."

"Anything for you, my sweet."

"I think I need a glass of champagne now."

His lips lifted into a smile.

"You're starting early, that bodes well for being able to ravish you later."

"You need me to imbibe in champagne in order to do that?"

"No, but I do enjoy your friskiness when you've had a couple."

"I'm always frisky!"

"I am fully aware of that fact, but a few drinks in you and I get you on top facing away from me with no embarrassment in play."

"You really like that?"

"How unequivocally can I say yes?"

"I didn't know."

"Now you do."

"Why didn't you say something?"

"It's not the only position I like, Hermione," he said quickly.

"I just really didn't know you had a preference."

"Me inside of you is my preference. However, you riding me like that is very arousing. Maybe it's because you're not looking at me watching you, but you always seem just a little less inhibited or unsure of yourself that way when you've had a few drinks. I love watching you touch yourself from behind."

"Well, now I want to leave…"

He chuckled.

"Oh no you don't. You made me come here, you're going to drink your champagne, get pleasantly tipsy, and we're going to get Miss Milward to her house and then I will spend the first few hours of 1999 ravishing my lovely bride."

"That does have a nice ring to it."

"Are you okay now?"

She bowed her head, embarrassed that she'd had such a reaction to coming here. "Yes."

"Good. Let's go greet our host and his paramour."

"I wonder if Ronald and Luna are here together."

"I noticed she was at Christmas dinner."

"Yes, I get the impression they see one another when they can. I'm pretty sure he met her for the last Hogsmeade weekend."

"So long as he's not plotting ways to steal you from me."

"I think he realizes soul marks are kind of tough to compete with."

"I'd hope the fact you're my wife would deter him."

"Well, that, too, of course."

Evidently George was entertaining Odette with one of his latest pranks. Hermione was not surprised in the least.

"Hey, Hermione," everyone said when they finally joined the group.

"Hi!"

"We thought you and Snape had…"

"George!" Ron said, glancing at Odette.

"Not all of us thought that," Ron said.

"It's Professor Snape, George," Hermione said.

"Actually, it's Headmaster Snape, Hermione," George replied. "And that's why I just said Snape, who wants to think about whether it's Professor or Headmaster. After a couple more drinks I won't be able to think that clearly so I figured if I start with Snape I'm good for the night."

Hermione rolled her eyes, but smirked. Severus' lips lifted into the hint of a smirk.

"Where'd Harry go?"

"He's in the kitchen with Ginny," Luna said. "You look very nice, Hermione."

"Thank you, Luna, you do, too."

"Oh, well, I'm not glowing like you are."

Hermione glanced at Ron who shrugged.

"Well, being near Severus does have that effect on me."

"That was pretty nice," George said.

"Only pretty nice?"

"Well, you know if I said it was really nice you'd have no need to strive for better the next time. And I don't think there's anyone here who ever thought we'd hear such a thing said about Snape, certainly not in our presence, so we want to hear more. I want to know if he blushes," George said.

"No," Severus said quickly, but the twitch of his lips told Hermione he was amused, not upset.

"George," Ron hissed.

"Yeah, yeah. Odette here is going to help me try out a new gag."

"It's not going to hurt or send her back to Hogwarts in a condition any different than she left it, is it?" Hermione asked.

"The witch wounds me with the doubt."

"The witch is her guardian for the evening, George," she said calmly.

"No, it's something ol' Snape probably wouldn't even take away from anyone in Hogwarts."

"Probably doubtful," Severus replied dryly. That twitch on his lips was back again.

Ron, George, and Odette left to go upstairs.

"George seems to enjoy Ron helping him," Luna offered.

It made sense. Ron wasn't Fred, but George was used to working with his brother.

"Ron's thinking of leaving his auror training."

"Really," Hermione asked. 

She had no idea! How out of touch was she? The other witch nodded.

"I'm not sure he really likes it, and I think he likes helping George."

"I could see that."

Undoubtedly, he doesn't like it because you're not there to push him to complete his work came Severus' thoughts in her mind. She couldn't help but smile in response. Not necessarily at his statement, but the intimacy of their being able to communicate like this. He wasn't even looking at her when he did it. When they were close like this they didn't need to be they'd been discovering.


It was actually kind of fun. They played some games, talked, drank, listened to wizarding music, sang along on occasion, and ate good food that Molly had brought over but she nor Arthur had stayed long. A few Order members came and went throughout the evening, but none stayed for very long.

She was out in the backyard, collecting her thoughts with a glass of champagne shortly after midnight when Odette joined her.

"You're so lucky, Hermione," Odette said.

She and Severus agreed to let her have one glass of champagne at midnight. It was the first New Year after the defeat of Voldemort and the poor girl had been through quite a year pretty much on her own. Physically, Madam Pomfrey had ensured those involved with Odette's legal dealings that she was fine. Mentally, well, they all knew that would take time. And trust. She was still nursing that same glass now.

"Why do you think that?"

"You have such nice friends."

"You know it's funny you say that. I mean, I agree with you that they are. Ronald and Harry are my best friends. I like Ginny and Luna, of course, but you don't go through the things Ron, Harry, and I have and not have it solidify your bond. I never had many friends before them, though."

"Really?"

"No. I was the bookworm who knew all the answers with big hair," Hermione said.

"But, look at you now, teaching two classes and married to probably the most powerful wizard left."

"Hmm, well, even Ronald and Harry weren't my friends right away. It took a troll to bring us together. I can admit I maybe could've been better when I was younger about not rubbing it in peoples faces that I knew the answers when they didn't. It was the only way I could be better, I guess. I wasn't pretty and my parents were a little older than the parents of my friends so even the things I did with them were different." She shrugged. "I showed you the house I grew up in. I can assure you no one's even noticed we're not there anymore."

"What's going to happen to me after this school year?"

"I don't know," Hermione admitted.

She'd been racking her brain trying to figure that very thing out in what little spare time she had. Did the wizarding world have things like orphanages? She didn't like the thought of Odette going to one even if they did. It didn't seem as if she had any family other than the cousin. At least none who had come forward wanting her. Severus had told her not to worry about it, and she trusted him to take care of it but she still worried.

"I know Kingsley and Severus are working out those details. I trust both of them."

"It's so weird that you're on a first name basis with the Minister of Magic."

"I've danced with him, too," Hermione said, offering the younger witch a smile.

"Is he a good dancer?"

"He is pretty good," Hermione said with a nod. She turned to Odette then, really focusing on the girl's face. She was pretty in an unusual way. Not totally striking, but one of those people who the sum of the parts made her attractive. She was smart but not obvious about it (Hermione had the chance to observe her in both Transfiguration and Potions) and more than able to hold her own compared to the other second years. In fact, Hermione would probably rank her toward the top of the class. "Happy 1999, Odette. I know this is going to be a good year for you."

"I think it is, too. It's already better than the last few by far."

"Well, considering we're only a few minutes into it that's saying something."

"Can we see another movie sometime?"

"I'm sure that can be arranged. Maybe Harry and Ginny would like to join us."

"That's right, he grew up muggle, too."

"Yes, but he didn't go to many movies," Hermione said, still angry over the way the Dursleys treated Harry. Harry still had the Dursleys of course as far as family went, but they didn't count for much as far as Hermione was concerned. "It is fun, though, with a big group of people."

"Sure," she said. "I suppose he may like that."

"What?"

"Going to muggle areas. He's not The Boy Who Lived, he's just Harry Potter."

"You're right. He could enjoy a night out without the Prophet following him. Severus, Draco, and I did that and it was very nice."

"He hasn't yet, you mean?"

"Not that I know of. We were pretty busy working on Hogwarts and then he started his training."

"I suppose," she said.

"You've given me an idea, though."

She started walking inside, Odette following her clearly a little perplexed. She found Severus talking with Luna.

Can we go out for dinner tonight?

He arched an eyebrow in her direction, clearly not upset about the interruption in whatever Luna was talking to him about.

What?

Dinner tonight. A dinner party. You, me, Ronald, Luna, Harry, Ginny, Odette.

Hermione, I'm not sure Odette being seen in public with us would help her case much.

A muggle restaurant.

Oh.

Luna had stopped talking by now and was watching the two of them with a knowing smile on her lips.

"I'll leave you two to finish your obviously private conversation without me to interrupt."

"I'm sorry, Luna, it's not like that…"

"Oh, I know, I'm sure the Headmaster thinks I've taken up too much of his time already. I look forward to whatever idea you come up with for tomorrow."

"Always a pleasure, Miss Lovegood."

"So, what is the urgency behind this request?"

"Odette just made me realize that since the fall of Voldemort," Severus winced as he always did at her casual use of the name. Years of not doing something were hard to break. "Well, Harry hasn't been able to do anything without the Prophet reporting on it."

"Is everyone agreeable?"

"I don't know. I asked you first, you are my husband. I thought maybe you could ask Draco, too, if you wanted but that's up to you."

"I'd forgotten that fact for a minute there, leaving me to the wolves as you did."

"I stepped outside for some air," she said.

He leaned in, kissing her cheek before finding her ear.

"If my wife wishes dinner out then who am I to deny her?"

"Oh my, that's a wonderful answer but something tells me I'll pay for it later."

"The stockings and garter you are currently wearing will remain on when we get back to our room," he quipped.

She flushed deeply, she couldn't help it and he chuckled against her ear.

"That's it?"

"For now," he said. "But I reserve the right to tack on to my compensation tomorrow evening after said dinner has finished."

"You know I am always glad to pay up."

"Indeed you are most agreeable."

"Some might say you're a lucky wizard."

"If any wizards, or witches for that matter, knew anything about you more than some would say such a thing."

"Aww. Say things like that and I may keep the shoes on, too," she said.

He drew back slightly, glancing at the shoes in question and his eyes darkened immediately.

"My wizard likes that idea?"

"Your wizard finds the idea might just Exceed Expectations."

"That's pretty high praise."

His lips quirked into the hint of a smile.

"Go make our dinner arrangements for tomorrow so we can get Miss Milward back at a reasonable hour and on with the rest of our evening's plans. I will see to Draco tomorrow."

"Oh, I have an even better idea!"

He rolled his eyes as if exasperated, but she knew he wasn't really.

Dinner plans settled with the two other couples for the following day, Severus, Hermione, and Odette made their way back to Hogwarts. Severus was able to apparate them to the dungeons so they only had to walk a short way to the entrance to Slytherin house and then up to their rooms.

He slid her cloak off.

"Now, Madam Snape, I believe there's a debt to pay."

"I'm not sure I can handle it tonight," she quipped as he worked the zipper for her allowing her to shimmy out of her dress.

"God, you're beautiful," he whispered, taking her in standing before him in just her bra, garter belt, stockings, knickers, and shoes.

She blushed at his praise and his appraisal of her.

"So are you," she whispered.

She went to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face for bed, glancing at the potions set aside on the counter for her.

"Severus," she said softly.

"Yes," he answered from their room.

"I haven't taken my recent dose of the potion yet."

"Okay," he said, sounding confused by her statement.

"I was thinking maybe I wouldn't," she said, biting her lower lip nervously.

He stood in the doorway to the bathroom now, watching her. He'd started the process of undressing already while she was getting ready for bed in the bathroom.

"If you're sure that is what you'd like to do, you know I'm not opposed to the idea, Hermione. It's entirely up to you."

"It shouldn't be, though, not entirely."

"I'm not getting any younger," he said, holding his hand up when she started to protest. "I know, life span, etcetera etcetera, I'm aware. However, the fact remains whenever we start I will be on the late side of starting my fatherhood days. So do I want to wait years? No, however, I didn't recently lose a child and I'm already quite established in my career. So, if you wish to wait, we wait."

"I don't wish to wait," she said.

"Well, then," he said.

"I'd be due about now," she whispered, running a fingertip over the vial of potion they were talking about.

"I didn't realize."

"I," she shrugged, glancing at him through lowered lashes. "I did the math when Madam Pomfrey said I was about seven weeks along. You know me, I had to. I figured Easter Sunday. I know we were always careful, but maybe we weren't that day. I don't know."

"I still wonder if it was our activities while in our animagus forms."

"You mentioned that back then. Have you found out if that can happen?"

"I'm not quite sure where I'd go to find such information, but I'd have to imagine it's possible. As I'm unregistered, I haven't pursued it very ardently."

"Oh," she said, blushing softly at explaining that one to her friends.

"Well, Hermione," he said, moving behind her and sliding his arms around her. He took the vial of potion from her hands and set it on the counter. "We can just go to bed until you decide for sure whether that's the path you want to take."

"But you…"

"Oh, my sweet witch, I meant what I said earlier wholeheartedly. People would be envious of me if they knew how you are. You please me in every way I could ever dream, in and out of bed. One night of abstinence is not going to kill me."

"Yes, but I don't want to abstain."

He chuckled softly, brushing his cheek against her hair.

"I'm going to get in bed. The decision is yours, Madam Hermione Jean Granger Snape. I am fine with your decision either way. I can understand with the estimated date of our lost child's birth approaching that you may wish to try. I also understand that you may wish to wait. There is no right or wrong, and I'm afraid in this only you know if you're ready to try again."

She nodded softly, letting him go to their room. She heard him pull the blankets aside and slide into bed. She ran a finger over the stopper in the vial and sighed heavily before setting the bottle back on the counter and joining him in bed.

"Shoes on or off," she asked as she sat on the edge.

"On, of course, to start anyway."

"As my wizard prefers."

He didn't ask what her decision was, but she knew he saw the next morning that the vial was still full so he was aware.

Return to Top

Part 32 | Part 34

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com