Chapter Thirty
December 1998

"I was thinking," Hermione said from the doorway to her office in their quarters, causing Severus to look up from the book he'd been reading. He knew she had been focused on something that she was trying to figure out how to get him to come to terms with it. He knew this because for the last hour or so instead of grading papers or studying her NEWT material she'd been shuffling papers on her desk and playing with the inkwell.

He had to admit there were moments like this when she was standing like every other person probably would with her shoulder against the doorframe that he realized how lucky of a man he was. Like this, hair falling over her shoulder in a very loose braid that gave her a rather wild and unkempt look to anyone who didn't know her. He, though, saw that wild and unkempt look as both frightening and beautiful.

Frightening because he had no doubt he was going to hate whatever it was she'd been struggling to tell him. Beautiful because he had no doubt despite him hating it he would be once again rendered humbled that this witch was his.

"Is that what I heard?"

"Funny wizard."

"Pray tell, Witch, what were you thinking?"

"Maybe Odette could come with us to the Burrow and Harry's."

Severus rolled his eyes. He must have offended someone greatly in a previous life to have to suffer through both the Weasley and the Black homes over the Christmas holidays.

"Why?"

Hermione shrugged.

"Her parents are gone, Severus, she was put with someone she should have been able to count on and trust who violated that trust horribly. There are no other Slytherins staying behind. I just thought maybe seeing a family who loved one another would be good for her."

He ran a fingertip along the spine of the book he'd paused in reading to hear her idea out.

"It could make her feel worse."

"You're right, it could, but I really doubt sitting here by herself will make her feel good either."

"Mayhaps," he murmured. "Have you asked Molly?"

"You know she'd agree."

"You're asking me?"

His eyebrows both shot up in surprise.

"Well, yes," she admitted. "You're my husband. It's our first Christmas holiday where we can actually be together. Maybe you don't want a near teenager with us."

"You like her," he observed.

"I do," she said. "She's opened up more even in classes since getting the notice that she can stay here during the holidays, Severus. It's like the weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders. I just want to give her something good to remember this year."

"Of course you do," he said, regarding her.

He was admittedly a little surprised it was a Slytherin girl who'd caught his wife's attention, but not completely. She had a big heart and would protect anyone who came to her for help. It was one of the things that made her loveable. And a liability to someone like him until recently.

"Would you like me to summon her to my office to ask then?"

"Would you?"

"Of course," he said, nodding.

"Loody," he called.

A pop signaled his elf's entrance.

"Yes, Headmaster and Missus Headmaster, Sir," Loody said, bowing politely.

"Would you let the head of Slytherin know that Odette Milward's presence is requested in my office, please?"

"Of course, Headmaster Loody will do as he is asked," he bowed, eyes wide.

"That is all. Thank you, Loody," he said.

"Well then, Madam Snape, let's go," he said.

"You think I'm crazy," she said.

"No, not crazy."

"I'd love to help every student who's hurting, but they all haven't confided in me. She did."

"I understand, and it's why I love you."

They went to his office. Phineas Black was eyeing his wife with both curiosity and suspicion Severus noticed.

"You have an observation to give voice to, Headmaster Black?" Severus said.

"No, Sir."

"I thought not," he drawled.

The former headmaster was still not entirely over his other portrait being carried around in Hermione's beaded bag for months.

"Lovely to see you again, Madam Snape," Black's portrait said.

"You, too, Headmaster, thank you," she said, curtseying politely.

"You don't need to do that," Severus said.

"It doesn't hurt anything."

"No, I suppose not."

"And who knows when I'll need his help again."

"Bite your tongue, Witch!"

She laughed softly.

A short while later he was alerted to Odette Milward's presence outside the stairs. Severus let her in.

"Headmaster," she said, cautiously. Her eyes brightened infinitely at the sight of his wife standing off to the side still taking in the late headmaster, and lone headmistress, portraits.

"Thank you for coming, Miss Milward. I trust your studies are going well?"

"Yes, Sir," she said, fidgeting with her hands a bit.

"Please sit," he said, gesturing to one of the chairs in front of his desk.

She did as asked.

"Madam Snape," he said, wanting help with this. It was her idea after all and clearly the young girl wasn't sure what to make of him.

"Oh, sorry," she said. "Hello, Miss Milward. How are you tonight?"

"Very well, Madam Snape. Have I done something wrong?"

"Not at all. The Headmaster and I were talking. We're going to a couple of friends' houses over the holidays and thought you might like to join us. The Weasley's, Ginny is a seventh year and Head Girl so you probably know her, and Harry Potter's home for New Year's Eve."

Her eyes widened as she apparently fully digested what his wife was suggesting. Severus saw her initial fear and suspicion give way to understanding and incredulity.

"You want me to go with you?"

"If you'd like to," she offered.

"We thought it might do you well to get away from the castle for a day or two over the holidays," Severus offered, wanting her to know he was in agreement with his wife's idea.

"I wouldn't be an inconvenience?"

"Of course not. Ginny's mother and father would love to have you and so would Harry. He was very willing to help us with your situation."

"Oh, yes, I suppose I should thank him then."

"No, Miss Milward. I mean, of course you can do that if you want to, but there is no reason or motive behind including you other than we want you to have a Happy Christmas."

Her eyes brightened, but Severus could still see the confusion on her face. Was this girl not used to anyone doing anything nice for her? Her parents weren't Death Eaters, but he supposed just because they hadn't joined the cause didn't mean they were good people. Some, on both sides of the fight, stayed out of it merely wanting to mind their own business and hope whatever the result they'd be free to live as they always had.

"I'd love to," she said.

"Well, good then. I'll let them know we'll be three then," she said, smiling brightly. "And perhaps a day or two before Christmas you and I could head into Hogsmeade to get gifts for Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Potter for hosting us."

"Really?"

"I suppose I might be talked into Honeydukes, too."

She jumped out of the chair and ran up to Hermione, hugging her tightly.

"Thank you, Madam Snape," she said.

"Oh, you're welcome, my sweet girl. Really." Hermione hugged her back and Severus could see the tears in his wife's eyes. These tears weren't from sadness, though. She was overwhelmed by the student's response to her invitation. Such a simple idea and it obviously meant a great deal to the student.

"I was so scared I'd be left all alone here with nothing to do. Or that my cousin would show up to get me."

"He will not be able to get on the premises, Miss Milward, I assure you," Severus offered. "And once your legal matter is settled, there are any number of us who will accompany you to get what belongings you may still have in his home."

"Thank you, you've been so nice to me. Everyone says you're mean, but you've never been to me."

"Well," he said dryly. "You just have as of yet to get on my nerves, Miss Milward. Let's keep it that way, shall we?" He offered her a slight smirk so she'd know he was teasing. Hopefully at any rate.

"Yes, Headmaster, Sir." She turned then and looked at Hermione. "Can I tell people I'm going to meet Harry Potter?"

"That's up to you and whether you want them to know. That may lead to questions as to why you're not going home that you'd prefer not to answer but I'm not against it."

The young Slytherin nodded slightly, apparently taking his wife's words to heart.

"That was a very nice gesture, Headmaster," Black's portrait said once the girl had taken her leave.

"It was my wife's idea."

Black huffed in surprise.

"Very well," he murmured. "Well done, Madam Snape."

"Thank you, Headmaster, maybe I'll let my husband leave your portrait in here after all."

Severus chuckled softly at that.

"Let's return to our quarters shall we before I have a portrait mutiny on my hands."

"If you insist," she said wryly, eyes sparkling with amusement.

As a former Slytherin it was highly unlikely Severus would move his portrait and his wife knew it. So did Phineas Black for that matter.

"Are you really going to take her to Hogsmeade?" he asked once they were each comfortable in front of their fire and had their tea.

"Why not?"

"I'm not criticizing."

"Wondering if I really meant it?"

"Somewhat."

"I wouldn't say anything to anyone I don't mean, Severus. I figured she'd enjoy a day out and so would I. Unless you'd like to accompany me to Madam Puddifoot's."

"Not in the slightest. Ever."

"Well then, see, it's perfect. I get to spend time with a girl who'd probably love to go there and you get some time to yourself."

"As if I didn't get enough of that last school year."

"I suppose you did," she said. "You're welcome to join us."

He chuckled softly. "Hermione, it's fine. I was just curious if you meant it."

"I do!"

"Very well."

"Thank you," she said, brightening.

Did she really think he was upset about it? He didn't get much time to himself these days, true but he never complained about it. He hoped he hadn't led her to believe he thought that. She had the occasional dinner with her best friends and their paramours, but overall she stayed with him. He'd never had someone who wanted to spend their time with him, so he had to admit he was enjoying it. Perhaps one day the novelty would wear off.

"I should owl Mrs. Weasley and Harry so they know," she said after a while.

"It can wait until tomorrow. Mrs. Weasley cooks for an army regardless of headcount."

"True," she said.

"Come to bed then, Wife," he said.

"Are you tired?"

"Not in the least," he said.

"Oh," she said, blushing prettily. She stood, though, and followed him to their room.

Return to Top

Part 29 | Part 31

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com