Chapter Thirty-One

Hermione met Odette Milward at the main entrance. The second year Slytherin looked quite excited about their upcoming day.

"Ready?" Hermione said, regarding her dressed for the cold walk as she should be.

"Yes," she said.

"Alright then," she said.

Odette was quiet while they made their way to the gates, and Hermione took her cue from the girl.

"Do you have a favorite class this year?" Hermione asked once they were on the path to Hogsmeade.

"I like Charms and Transfiguration."

"Those were my favorites, too."

"You're apprenticing in Transfiguration but not Charms?"

"No. The Headmaster is working with me to get my mastery in Potions as well."

"I suppose you couldn't really be his apprentice."

"I'm sure there'd be a way around it, but I think he'd rather we not go that route."

"Do you like being married?"

"Yes, so far. We've only been married a few months so I'm no expert."

"Oh, I guess I knew that."

"It's okay. I don't mind."

"Is it weird living at Hogwarts?"

"It is, especially after last year."

"Were you scared?"

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a second before answering. She didn't want to lie to her.

"I was. I had to keep Harry alive and I had so much to worry about. The Headmaster knew, or had a clue, as to what was going to happen after Professor Dumbledore died so he worked with me."

"How?"

"Identifying foods we could eat living in the woods. Healing. Potions. We would have made it without him, I'm sure, but the information he gave me before we had to run was very helpful."

"But you weren't together then."

"No," she said adamantly. "Not at all. The Headmaster would never have done anything like that. He just knew I guess that I was the one out of the three of us most likely to retain the knowledge."

"The brightest witch of this age."

"So I've been told."

"It probably gets old."

Hermione shrugged. "I don't really think I'm any better than anyone else. I just like to study and it comes out in my work."

"It does. I liked reviewing some of those potions we learned last year."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Professor Slughorn was," she shrugged. "Well, I didn't feel like I learned much in his class."

"I'm sorry to hear that. He's not a bad professor, but everyone learns differently, too."

"Why are you being nice to me?"

"What? Why wouldn't I be?"

"I was mean to you."

"You were hurting, and you had your reasons for not trusting me. Truthfully, you weren't really that mean either. I'm glad that you've come to the conclusion that you can trust me."

"Me, too," she said.

They stopped in several of the stores as Odette had never been to Hogsmeade before as well as walked past Wizarding Wireless Network. They found a gift for Mrs. Weasley at Dogweed and something for Harry at Spintwitches. Hermione tried to include Odette in the choosing of the gift, but as she didn't really know either person she was rather quiet. They lunched at The Three Broomsticks as neither of them wanted tea or the environment that was Puddifoot's. Their last stop was Honeydukes.

"You don't want anything?" Hermione asked after she'd purchased a variety of goodies for not just herself and Severus but her friends and co-workers as well.

"No," she said solemnly.

Hermione wondered for the first time if the girl had any money. She hadn't thought of that until now amidst everything. Would her cousin have sent her to Hogwarts with no funds? Hermione tried to figure out the most tactful and least embarrassing way to handle this. If she was wrong, she could insult the girl and upset the relationship and trust they'd begun to build.

"Well, I tell you what, the Headmaster gave me some galleons for us to get ourselves a treat. Why don't you pick something out for all three of us," she said.

"Really?" she asked, her eyes widening as she eyed the various items on display.

"Of course. He insisted and I think he would be quite upset if we returned empty handed."

Odette nodded simply and walked to the display, picking out a few things that the girl obviously liked.

"Now, I hope you'll help me and Headmaster Snape in eating these."

"I can," she said.

"Excellent."

They made their way out of Hogsmeade.

"What's it like being a muggle?" Odette asked.

"Well, it's really not that different from being a witch. Muggles are still human beings, they just have no magical abilities."

"Oh," she said softly, seeming to think that over.

"You've never met one before?"

"No, ma'am, just you. There weren't any at school last year, and I guess I don't know of any this year if there are any."

"Ah," she said. "Never been to a muggle town?"

"No," she said, sounding shocked at the very idea. Hermione supposed she probably was.

"Well, there are lots of fun things that muggles do. I love muggle movies and music, live theatre and museums. Muggle books."

"Do you have any muggle music at Hogwarts?"

"I do not. The Headmaster might. I know he has a turntable."

"What's that?"

"It plays records. We'll ask him when we get back."

"Okay," she said. "Does it bother you that the Headmaster was a Slytherin?"

"No," she said without hesitation. "Your house shouldn't define you as a person, Miss Milward. I understand embracing it certainly, but everyone is capable of being brave or cunning."

"You think so?"

"Absolutely, Just some are better than others. I think Headmaster Snape is the bravest person I've ever met. He put his life in jeopardy for years."

"That's true," she said softly.

"So, no, it doesn't bother me. I imagine any child of ours will have a chance of ending up in Slytherin house."

"Oh, right, I hadn't thought of that."

"I hadn't really either," Hermione admitted.

"Thank you, Madam Snape," Odette said once they'd returned to Hogwarts.

"You're more than welcome. Thank you for saving me from having to go alone."

"See you at dinner?"

"Absolutely," she said. "Oh, did you want to come with me and ask Headmaster about records?"

"If it's not a bother."

"Not at all," she said, leading the way to Severus' office.

"Madam Snape, Miss Milward. I trust you had an enjoyable day."

"We did," Hermione said, offering him a kiss to his cheek. "Miss Milward has never heard muggle music or seen a record. I thought maybe we could fix both."

"I think we could," he said with a nod, glancing from Hermione to Odette. He led the two ladies to the quarters he shared with Hermione.

"Now, normally if this was a muggle house there'd be electricity powering it. However, since I'm a wizard I don't need electricity," he said with a smirk as he pulled out a record.

Hermione sat against the edge of a chair, letting Severus have his moment. Hermione had come to learn over the last few months that he loved music, particularly muggle music.

"This is a record, they're sometimes called a long-playing record or an LP." He showed Odette the cover, featuring a man who was half man and half dog with two dog-like men behind him.

"That's not a real person, is it?" she asked. Hermione smiled.

"No, it's art. Kind of like magic," Severus said.

He pulled the liner out of the cover and showed her the record and how to put it on the turntable.

"This is where the electricity would normally come into play," he said, setting the needle on the record. He didn't put it at the beginning, but closer to the middle Hermione noted. She knew this album, he'd played David Bowie for her before. A wave of his hand and the record started spinning:

You've got your mother in a whirl
She's not sure if you're a boy or a girl
Hey babe, your hair's alright
Hey babe, let's go out tonight

They went from David Bowie to The Beatles to Pink Floyd and, finally, The Who. Odette was entranced and Severus was pleased to share his love of music with someone seemingly receptive to it.

"That is so cool," she said.

"I'm glad you think so."

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"You're welcome, Miss Milward."

"I should get back to my room to change for dinner."

"Sure," Hermione said, standing to walk with her to the door that led to the hallway instead of Severus' office.

"Don't forget these," she said, holding out the box of items Odette had picked out.

"Oh, but you said …"

"The Headmaster wanted us to have some goodies, take them, please. I bought more than I'll give away to my friends."

"If you're sure," she said, clearly not sure.

"Just don't eat it all in one sitting."

"No, ma'am," she said, taking the box. "Thank you, Headmaster."

Severus looked confused for a moment, so briefly Hermione was sure Odette didn't see it. He recovered, though, he seemed to acknowledge he needed to go with it.

"You're welcome, Miss Milward," he said, bowing his head politely.

She left then and Hermione closed the door behind her.

"What did she thank me for?"

"I don't think she has any money, Severus. She didn't say anything, but I saw her eyeing a couple of things at the bookstore and Honeydukes. I told her at Honeydukes that you had given me some galleons to buy a treat for all of us."

"And you just gave her the box of treats?"

"Yes," she said. "I already bought more than enough."

"I see."

"How does that happen, Severus? How could no one know she has no money?"

"I guess no one thought of it. Obviously her schooling and supplies have been paid for. She wouldn't have Hogsmeade weekends yet."

"I suppose," she said, nibbling on her lower lip.

Severus took her into his arms. "You know now, we'll figure it out."

"I guess. She didn't admit it, but I saw the look in her eyes."

"Oh?"

"I saw it in Ron's a lot."

Severus nodded knowingly. He imagined those who paid him any attention when he was Odette's age saw the same look in his eyes.

"Yes, I suppose you have. Did you have a good day?"

"It was nice, I think so anyway. I hope she did, too."

"She seemed to have enjoyed herself. Her willingness to listen to my records is an indication she did anyway or she would've turned you down and gone back to her room right away."

"I suppose."

She showed him what she'd bought for Mrs. Weasley and Harry, which he approved. She knew he didn't really care, but she also knew that even though they were going because of her she was still representing him. It was weird to think about. Of course, he'd been invited to the Weasley's and the Order Christmas party every year until last year. He'd just refused to go before now.

"I was thinking," she said.

"Of course you were," he drawled.

"No, really."

"I was quite serious, Hermione."

"Can I take Odette for the day on Sunday?"

"Where are you going to take her?"

"London."

"Hermione," he said.

"She was asking me questions about being a muggle. I thought I could show her some things."

"Why?"

"She's asking questions, Severus. She was raised basically as a pureblood, but she's asking sincere questions about muggles. I am muggleborn. I'd like to show her. It has to start somewhere, doesn't it? One person's mind to change is all it takes to start something."

He nodded slightly. "I suppose."

"I was thinking a mall and a movie."

"Are you sure it's not just an excuse to shop?"

"I wouldn't bring a twelve-year-old with no money if that's what I wanted to do."

He sighed heavily. "I suppose you have a point."

"So I can?"

"Yes," he said.

She squealed in delight and launched herself at him. He caught her as she wrapped her legs around him and kissed him.

"Thank you," she said.

"If I'd have known it'd get this type of response I would have said yes immediately."

"Just always say yes," she quipped, kissing him again.

"Tempting, but no."

She giggled, brushing her cheek against his. "I love you."

"And I you, Witch. Now let's get ready for dinner."

"Yes," she said happily. "I was surprised you picked Rebel Rebel and not Moonage Dream," she observed as she changed into something appropriate for dinner while he did the same.

"I thought Rebel Rebel would probably be catchier to her," he shrugged.

"You might be right."

"You weren't surprised Bowie was the first thing I played?"

She smirked. "No," she said simply.

She couldn't wait to watch the movie Labyrinth with Severus one day. He had no idea what she was talking about when she mentioned it. Her mum had the biggest crush on Bowie when Hermione was younger. She wasn't sure how Severus would react to Bowie dancing with Muppets so she was waiting a bit on that one.

Return to Top

Part 30 | Part 32

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com