Chapter Twenty-Five
June 1998

He'd been here during the day for over a week now. As a result of Minerva's level of guilt at not having faith in him, and most likely not trusting Albus truly had it all planned out, he had little paperwork to tend to. It was a matter of straightening up his office in the way he wanted it. Lots of walking around, assisted by the blasted cane, to see how various repairs on Hogwarts were coming. And checking to see what Poppy and St. Mungo's would be in need of potion-wise now that he was on his feet again. He shuddered to think of the somewhat inferior potions distributed by Slughorn during his absence.

Hermione and her friends were here every day as well, assisting with the repairs. He used what influence he had over her via their bond to ensure his witch ate at each of the meal times. She didn't eat a lot, but was eating more than he knew she had been the past nine or ten months.

Today was the first day that he went into the Headmaster's quarters. Next week he would return here full-time so he needed to ensure Hogwarts had accommodated his additional needs. He purposely had avoided going in here until now, knowing Minerva had only taken over the office. Everything else associated with the Headmaster had been left untouched since he left Hogwarts almost a year ago.

"You've done well, my old friend," he whispered as he took in his quarters. Additional bookshelves, currently empty, were already in place. A chair seeming more suited to Hermione than him was near his in front of the fireplace. His bedroom had also changed. The decorations while not feminine were certainly more … homey.

"Satin sheets," he murmured, running his hand along the satiny pillowcase. "Are you suggesting I will not be getting much sleep then?"

Warmth flowed through him in response. Somehow, the castle had merged Slytherin green and silver and Gryffindor red and gold to work. He shook his head at the thought since he was Headmaster so Hogwarts should not be taking his soon-to-be bride's house colors into account. The room was a bit more spacious, a second wardrobe and such to take into account two living here. Their bathroom was also larger, two sinks instead of the one he'd had previously and a tub he was very much looking forward to sharing with Hermione as soon as he was allowed to.

Returning to the sitting room, curious as he saw a door that had not been there previously. There used to be only two additional doors in here. One led to his private potions lab (he still didn't understand how Hogwarts managed this, but he'd stopped questioning things about the castle and its abilities many years ago) and one led to a private office, which he imagined Hermione could use as he had no use for it.

A patronus distracted him from his search, however, as Poppy's voice came from the non-corporeal mist-like being telling him to get to the infirmary immediately.

He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He wondered who had managed to get hurt today. A benefit of being Headmaster, he could apparate straight to the hallway outside of the infirmary. He didn't directly in there so as not to shock any patients who weren't aware he had that ability.

"Poppy," he called out.

A curtain in the corner parted and she looked troubled. He'd seen that look on her face more times over the years to know it was concern for whoever her patient was.

He stopped when he saw Hermione on the bed.

"What happened?"

"She fainted," she said.

"Fainted? That is terribly unlike Hermione." She was not prone to fits that would require muggle smelling salts to revive her.

"Mr. Longbottom said she complained about feeling dizzy and lightheaded while they were working on cleaning up some classrooms in the dungeons. Evidently, she clutched her abdomen and fainted. It's the blood loss most likely," she said, sounding sympathetic.

Severus glanced back at young Longbottom behind them. His presence in the infirmary made more sense now.

"How long has she been out?"

"Only a few minutes. He got her here as soon as it happened."

"Thank you, Mr. Longbottom," Severus said to the young wizard who stared wide-eyed at him.

"You're welcome, Sir," he said.

Severus smirked slightly before returning his attention to Poppy and Hermione.

He set his left hand over hers, reaching for the connection they shared. It always seemed stronger when their soul marks were in actual contact.

"We were cleaning up a classroom in the dungeons. Like Madam Pomfrey said, she complained of feeling dizzy and lightheaded," Neville said from just the other side of the curtain. Severus regarded him with a nod, the young wizard was staring at their joined hands, which just happened to be glowing. It was something he supposed he'd have to get used to.

"Nothing happened beforehand?"

"Not that I can recall, Sir, no. I didn't notice the blood until I levitated her."

"Thank you, Mr. Longbottom. You can return to Professor McGonagall for more work," Severus said, sounding harsher than he meant to. "I will be sure you're aware of her status."

"Okay, is she going to be alright?"

"I'm sure she will be in no time. You got her to me quickly," Poppy offered kindly.

Neville shuffled his feet a bit, but left as instructed. Wandlessly, Severus closed the curtain this time.

"Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary, Severus?" There was that sympathetic tone again.

"No. I mean she hasn't been eating well as you mentioned, but I'm sure after months of sparse eating it will take a while for her to get back to her usual habits. She wasn't a hearty eater to begin with. She's been tired, but that's also to be expected given recent events."

"Has she complained of dizziness or anything similar recently?"

"I guess. She's not a complainer, but I've noticed it, yes."

"Any vomiting? Smells of food upsetting her?"

Poppy seemed to know something, and Severus wished she'd just come out with it.

"I know she's been nauseous a few times, yes. I assume that's, again, due to her eating habits the past few months and getting used to normal food again."

Poppy nodded a bit, clearly taking in all of this information. She pulled the sheet that covered Hermione down a bit to expose her abdominal area before lifting her top up slightly. Severus still focused on their internal communication so he didn't really pay close attention to what Poppy was doing until he noticed the multi-colored lines above Hermione's abdomen turn a faint blue and then disappear.

"Impossible," he said.

"Obviously not, Headmaster."

He swallowed. "We haven't been intimate since…" He paused, thinking. "Easter, I suppose." He glanced from the no longer present blue line to Hermione's face.

"With the brightness of the line before it …" she paused here, trying to be sensitive he could tell. He knew what the disappearing line meant. It meant the fetus was no longer viable. "I'd say six to seven weeks, so Easter could be about right."

They'd used the charm every time, though, as she'd stopped taking the muggle pill after her time at Malfoy Manor. They'd both been very adamant about the charm, though. She would do Potter no good if she was with child. Except the times they'd been sexually active in their animagus forms. He'd never once thought to use the charm then. Why would he?

"Shit," he cursed.

"I am so sorry, dear," she said, settling her hand over their joined ones for a moment.

Severus realized she'd known all along what was wrong and simply talked him through her symptoms so he'd himself grasp what was happening. Clutching her abdomen and bleeding should have been his first clue, but as if he'd ever had reason before now to think about someone being pregnant because of him.

"Let me clean her up, Headmaster," she whispered. He nodded simply, releasing her hand then.

"I'll be right back," he said simply and apparated back to his quarters immediately. He opened the mysterious door he'd noticed earlier and looked inside. It was a nursery. The castle had known what they'd need even if they were not aware of it yet.

He pressed his hand against one of the nursery walls, feeling the pulse of the castle hum along his hand. "Don't change it yet," he whispered. He was unsure if she'd want to see it or not, but thought if the castle whisked it away without giving her the chance to she'd perhaps be more upset. Had she even known? He didn't see her keeping such a thing from him.

He returned to the infirmary then, making no qualms about apparating directly in this time.

"She'll be fine, Sir," Poppy said simply. "Stress, over exertion, malnourishment. All of those things I'm sure played a role."

"Thank you, Poppy," he said. He rested his left hand on her abdomen briefly before joining it with hers again.

She woke a while later Severus was relieved to see.

"Let's work on not being in an infirmary bed for a little while at least, okay?" he quipped.

She smiled slightly, moving her hand from under his to hold his. She laced her fingers through his.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"Sorry?"

"I heard you. Well, Poppy. I truly didn't know, I had no reason to think I was."

"You have nothing to apologize for, Hermione. It happens."

"I know, but…"

He stood then, moving to lay next to her on the bed. He now understood why she'd charmed the bed at Grimmauld Place.

"But nothing, Witch. We have plenty of time for another one."

"I know, but I probably did something wrong."

"You did nothing wrong! The only thing I can think of is in our animagus forms…"

"Oh! Is that possible?"

"It would seem so," he said dryly.

She blushed at that. "I had no idea."

"Nor did I. Of course, it's possible the charm didn't work, too. Regardless of the how or why of it. I have no idea, but I'm not upset with you in the slightest." He turned then, kissing the top of her head.

"You're awake," Poppy said.

"Yes."

Poppy patted her forearm lightly and checked her over again.

"I see no reason why you cannot go to the Headmaster's quarters for the night."

"Oh, we weren't going to until the weekend," Hermione said.

"I wouldn't recommend flooing or apparating at the moment."

She turned to face Severus, a question in her eyes.

"It is fine. It was more for decorum's sake that I suggested we wait until after the ceremony Saturday to share my quarters. However, legally we were already bound to one another as soon as we accepted our bond. There should be documentation of that at the Ministry, which I'm very lucky the Dark Lord never found. And given the present circumstances, I don't think any premarital activities will be occurring."

She blushed then and he chuckled. "I think Poppy's aware that we have engaged in those already, my witch," he whispered against her ear.

"I know, I just never thought I'd hear you admit it so freely."

"That I make love to my witch? I am not ashamed of it."

"I know," she said. "I'm not either."

"That is very good to know because I admit even I may be prone to hubris and preening."

"Oh really now?"

"What can I say? You are good cause for me to do both."

"Well then we better get on with that baby thing again soon."

He chuckled softly. "I thought of a telling yet less permanent way of displaying such things."

"Oh?"

"Hmm, yes," he said, running a finger along her neck. "I may even put a charm on one or two that will prevent you from hiding it."

She blushed.

"Not to say I do not or would not accept a baby."

"I know," she said. "It would have been very quick timing."

"Indeed."

"I'd like to finish school, and live with you for a bit first."

"Valid desires. Now, let's get you back to my quarters and I'll see to dinner."

"Oh, I don't want…"

"It is their job, Hermione."

"I know," she said.

He conjured his patronus. The slender and lanky male otter stood on its hind legs waiting for his message.

"Please find Minerva and inform her I'll be in my quarters with Hermione so dinner is her responsibility tonight."

The otter fled and Severus shook his head slightly. Poppy saw his patronus' form, too, and smiled knowingly.

"Shall we?" he asked, standing from the bed then. He found his cane only after she'd stood, too. "Apparating would be so much easier."

"You can," she offered.

"Not likely, Madam," he said.

"Not yet," she replied, sounding amused.

"What?"

"You called me madam."

"Oh, well, officially, you are and I admit I already consider you as such in my eyes, yes."

"Is there really a document at the Ministry?"

"From my understanding, yes, that is what happens when those with soul marks accept their bond."

"So, we're already married in the eyes of the Ministry?"

"Technically, yes. The ceremony is a formality, really, and I'd prefer there be an official one so no one can question."

"I understand."


Their wedding was on Saturday with Kingsley officiating. The guest list was small, only a handful of friends. Since Severus really had no friends other than Minerva, the guests were all coming to see Hermione marry him.

Slowly, they made their way to his way to his office. The portraits all greeted her appreciatively for her efforts. While she'd been in Hogwarts the past week while he was, she had not to this point set foot in his office.

"Thank you, Headmasters and Headmistress," she said with a blush, bowing her head politely.

"There was something I wanted to show you," he said, placing a hand against her back to guide her into their quarters.

"Oh, it's lovely," she said, going right for the chair that the castle had apparently known she'd fall in love with.

He smirked at that as he waved his hand to start a fire in the fireplace.

"Let me show you around our quarters, shall I?"

"Please."

"I figured this you could use for your studying and grading," he said, showing her his private office. "It's meant to be my private office, but I really have no need for it in addition to my main office. You'd have an office for meeting with students and such, of course."

"Thank you," she said.

Bedroom and bath were next, and he paused in front of the last door.

"I'm not sure this is going to upset you or not, but I wanted you to see how knowing and prepared Hogwarts is."

"Okay," she said, cautiously.

He pushed open the door, letting her enter first

"Oh," she exclaimed. She walked to the tiny yet very ornate bassinet that was in the middle of the room. "A boy?" she questioned, glancing at him. He bowed his head slightly in acknowledgement. She ran her hand over the very soft, very much for a boy blanket that was draped over the edge of the bassinet. "How did it know?"

He shrugged. "I've stopped questioning these things. It already made accommodations for you before I set foot in here today. The chair by the fireplace, extra wardrobe, and the larger bathroom."

"That tub is exquisite."

"I thought you might think so and I cannot wait to enjoy it with you."

"Me, too," she said, blushing.

"If I've upset you showing you this, I apologize, but I wanted you to see that the castle was welcoming him even if we didn't know."

"Will it disappear?"

"Likely, yes, I asked it to wait to do so, wanting you to see it."

"Did it know that you were on our side?"

"Yes," he said. "Unfortunately, it cannot talk or truly communicate with anyone to tell anyone else that was true, nor would I have wanted it to. It would have been dangerous for all involved if anyone found out."

"Yes," she said softly, eyeing the room.

He walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Whenever you are ready, Hermione, I will gladly try again."

"Really?"

"Yes," he said confidently.

"So, next month if I said…"

"If that is what you wish I am unable to deny you anything."

"I'm pretty confident it won't be next month," she said, running her left ring finger over his. The engagement ring she wore would be moved to her right hand on Saturday and the wedding band he'd chosen for her would replace it. He'd gone to a jeweler for the wedding bands because she wanted the muggle tradition of matching bands. Hers was rather ornate while his was a simple band with no jewel adornment, but the etching on the bands matched.

"Can I keep the blanket?" she asked.

"Of course," he said simply. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, numb, I think right now. I truly had no idea. My periods had been rather irregular. Stress and weight loss, I imagine. Sorry," she said.

"Why are you apologizing to me?"

"I know men don't want to hear about such things."

He chuckled. "We are going to be married, I will know about such things unless you plan on having separate baths and bedrooms."

"Do you think Lucius is aware of Narcissa's?"

"Probably not, but he is not me and she is not you. You were open once before and I did not take offense or cringe at knowing such things about you. It was unusual and yet I am not truly privy to the private conversations Lucius or other wizards may have with their wives. I recall that openness led to a very enjoyable evening involving your mouth and my cock."

"True," she said and he could see she was blushing.

"Is everything to my witch's liking?"

"Yes," she said, and he knew she was being truthful.

"Would you like a bath before dinner?"

"Are you going to join me?"

"Is that wise given what just happened?"

"I'm inviting you to join me for a bath only. You're still healing yourself."

"Then, yes, I will join you."

She clutched the small blue blanket to her as they made their way to their bedroom. She sat on the edge of the bed, bringing it to her face and cried then. He was glad to see her cry, worried what it meant that she hadn't yet. Knowing she was pregnant or not, it was still a loss and he knew she would not just be fine so soon.

He left her alone for a moment, going to the bathroom to start the bath, finding a potion to add to the water that would help both of them. Her especially though with parts of her that may be sore as a result of the miscarriage.

He returned to her after a bit, sitting next to her and pulling her against him.

"Let me take care of you, Hermione," he whispered, kissing the top of her head. She nodded, setting the blanket down before wiping her eyes and standing from the bed. He followed her to the bathroom, helping her undress and into the tub before he joined her.

"That feels wonderful," she murmured.

"Good," he replied, taking a flannel and working at washing her thoroughly.

Return to Top

Part 24 | Part 26

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com