Chapter Twenty-Four
May 1998

Severus was in the Black library when Harry Potter came in.

"Hermione asked me to bring you some tea," he said, setting the tray down.

He'd been up and around for about a week now. It took about a week after waking up for him to get his wits and strength about him. He'd started small and worked his way to doing the stairs without assistance, though he did always ensure to tell someone he was making the attempt. Just in case. He was a proud man, but he wasn't stupid and breaking his neck falling down a flight of stairs after surviving Nagini's bite would be ironic.

"Thank you, Mr. Potter," he said simply, closing the book he'd been reading. "What is she doing?"

"She's baking, Sir," he said.

"Baking?"

"Yes," he said.

"Why?"

"You'd have to ask her. I think she's trying to distract herself if you ask me."

"From what?"

Potter shrugged. "Trying to decide what to do."

"Ah," Severus said with a nod. "You want her to pursue the auror training with you."

"Well, yeah. I mean, not if she doesn't want to. I just don't understand why she thinks she needs to do her seventh year. She could do anything she wants to if being an auror isn't it."

"Mr. Potter, no offense to you, but you wouldn't understand her need to complete her schooling."

"Yeah, but she's talking about going to Beauxbatons or Durmstrang."

Severus arched a brow at that. He hadn't realized she was doing that. Durmstrang, he imagined Krum would be able to pull some strings for her, and that idea bothered him immensely as much as he hated to admit it.

"Is she?"

"Yeah. I mean, surely you can't want that."

"No," Severus agreed.

"Really?"

Severus frowned.

"Did you expect me to say differently?"

"Well, kind of, or at least not to admit it so freely."

"You've been informed of the soul mark and what it means, Mr. Potter. You'd know I was lying if I said otherwise. So why bother wasting our time trying to deceive you?"

"Fair enough," Harry said.

Severus prepared his tea while Potter seemed to stew on that for a moment.

"Well, I guess you're right about her need to finish school. I don't understand it, but I guess thinking like Hermione I can a little."

"Yes."

"It's just I've never had a home before, you know?"

"I'm sorry?"

"The Dursley's. That wasn't a home. It was more like a prison most of my life, and they didn't care for me more than what was necessary to keep me alive."

"I'm aware, Mr. Potter."

In truth, it bothered Severus greatly that Albus had allowed young Mr. Potter to remain under the Dursley's care. Petunia had never liked magic, and Severus could have told the headmaster how a life being magical in the home of people who didn't like or trust magic would turn out.

"Well, while we were hunting for the horcruxes. I had that. You know? I've never had it before."

Severus' eyes opened wide for a moment as he took in Harry's words.

"It was different than at Hogwarts. She did everything she could to protect me."

"She would do no different for someone she loves, Mr. Potter."

"I know. I've never had that. I'll miss her if she's at school, no matter where it is."

"As would I."

"Can't you do something?"

"Barring stepping down as headmaster and a post at Hogwarts, I'm limited in options. She and I have discussed an option."

"You have?" Potter brightened at this.

"We have, and we will discuss it again."

"Oh," he said, looking disappointed. He grew quiet then, shifting a little on his feet.

"I was wondering, Sir, if at some point. Not now or anything, just sometime."

"Spit it out, Mr. Potter."

"I'd like to learn about my mother."

Severus let out a breath.

"Is Hermione aware you're asking this of me?"

"Right now? No, but she told me she thought you might if I was nice about asking you."

Severus smirked at that.

"As long as you understand that while I loved your mother I wasn't in love with her. I fooled myself for a long time into thinking I was. I would be inclined to share some memories of her with you."

"You would?"

"Yes," he said simply.

"Thank you," he said, brightening.

"You're welcome, Mr. Potter. It seems the least I can do in exchange for your hospitality."

"That's not why I'm doing it," he blurted out. "I'm not doing it for Hermione either. You're a hero, Sir, and didn't deserve to be at St. Mungo's where anyone could have gotten in."

He nodded briefly in acknowledgement. "Nonetheless, it seems the least I could do."

"Well, thank you. When do you have to go back to Hogwarts?"

"I believe Poppy is coming today or tomorrow to give me the all-clear. Minerva has been going through the office to ensure it's organized properly for me in between overseeing reparations."

"Will it be weird not teaching Potions?"

"Sadly, I will have to to start as Professor Slughorn has said he will not return."

"Oh," Harry said. "So, she really can't go back to Hogwarts then, can she?"

"We shall see, Mr. Potter."

"How did you find out she was your soulmate?"

"When I had to help heal her after she got hit with Dolohov's curse," he said.

"Oh," Harry said.

"I did nothing untoward, Mr. Potter."

"I know, Sir. She's never suggested you did, and I wasn't implying it. I know I have you to thank for our survival. I had no idea how she knew all that stuff. Whether you know it or not, you saved our lives several times over."

"I'm glad to know it."

"Anyway, thank you for agreeing to talk with me about my mother. I'll leave you to your tea."

Severus nodded again, taking a sip of his tea before returning to his book.


Eventually, he sent his patronus down to tell Hermione that he was coming downstairs. He still shook his head in disbelief at the otter that emerged from his wand whenever he cast it.

"Hi," she said at the foot of the stairs.

"Hello to you," he said, leaning down to kiss her. "Thank you for the tea."

"You're welcome."

"Mr. Potter mentioned you're baking."

"Oh, yes. Just cookies," she said with a shrug.

"Have you heard from Poppy?"

"Yes, she should be here this afternoon."

"Alright," he said with a nod. He followed her into the kitchen then, taking a seat at the table. "So why cookies?"

"Something to do?"

"Something to keep you from thinking, you mean?"

"Kind of."

"So do I need to warn Mr. Krum away from pursuing my witch?"

"No," she said softly, turning to glance at him. "He's not pursuing me. He's trying to help me."

"You do realize that your mate is the Headmaster of Hogwarts and could probably help you."

"I'm aware. It came up in a letter, Severus, nothing more. I likely wouldn't go there anyway."

"Why not?"

"I'm not sure I'd be safe there as one of the Golden Trio and your witch."

"Likely not," he admitted, glad she'd considered that fact.

She set a plate of cookies on the table, pouring a glass of milk for each of them before she sat at the table, too. He smirked at her as she had a bit of flour or something on her cheek, but he kind of liked it there so said nothing.

"What do you want to do when you're done, Hermione?"

"Honestly, I thought I wanted to work at the Ministry, but after everything that's happened I'm not sure I really want to. Everyone is so easily corruptible."

"That's everywhere, though."

"I know. And then there's you to consider."

"Me?"

"Well, you're Headmaster."

"So?"

"And my wizard. So perhaps teaching is where I should be."

"Only if you want to. We could make it work either way."

"Well, Minerva has mentioned she'd like to retire sometime in the near future and I've heard you may be looking for a Potions teacher."

He smirked.

"Yes."

"Do you think I could do two apprenticeships?"

"You could not be my apprentice, Hermione."

"You could teach me unofficially and I could take the mastery exam once you thought I was qualified to."

"That is what you want?"

"I think so. I like the idea of teaching honestly."

"You would," he replied dryly.

"I actually think without you serving two masters day in and day out you'd likely be a good teacher."

"Mayhaps."

"My complaints about you were never about your ability to teach, they were about your inability to give me an Outstanding."

He smirked. "I thought we'd taken care of that."

"Only if I agree to walk around in your home in just my knickers."

"And this is a problem why?"

"It's not, I endeavor to do that as soon as we have the privacy for me to do so."

"I will hold you to that."

"I expect that you will."

"Knickers may just be optional."

"Gross," Mr. Weasley said from the doorway.

"Don't spy, Mr. Weasley, and you won't see or hear things you don't want to."

"I wasn't spying. Harry mentioned cookies," he said, averting his gaze from the table. Severus couldn't help but chuckle.

"On the counter," Hermione said, gesturing to the counter in question.

"Thanks, 'mione," he said.

"Sure," she said.

"So, um, how are you feeling, Snape?"

"Ronald," Hermione said. "It's Professor Snape."

"Actually, it'd be Headmaster Snape, wouldn't it," he quipped.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Either way, you're being rude."

"He bloody lives here! Why should I have to call him Headmaster Snape?"

"Never mind," Hermione said.

"Fine. How are you feeling, Headmaster?"

"Much improved, Mr. Weasley, thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Is Mr. Potter upstairs?"

"Yeah," Mr. Weasley said. "He's going through some furniture or something."

"Ah," he said, standing from the table. He kissed Hermione. "Thank you for the cookies and milk."

"Anytime."

"Really?"

"Well, anytime I have access to a kitchen."

"I'm going to go outside for a little bit, just across the street."

"Okay. Be careful."

"Of course."


He made his way to the apparition point down the street, finding himself in the living room of his home in Spinner's End. He sighed heavily for a moment before heading to his bedroom and the dresser there, collecting what he needed before making his way back to the apparition point near Grimmauld Place and the house.

He found Hermione in their bedroom, which he'd expected.

"Did you have a nice walk?"

"It was nice to get some air," he said.

"Good."

"I didn't miss Poppy I take it?"

"No, not yet."

He slid his arms around her.

"You know, you didn't tell me that I had cookie batter on my cheek," she said.

"Maybe your wizard liked seeing you that way."

"With food on my cheek?"

"You made cookies for me, it's an appealing thought."

"Didn't your mother?"

"I suppose, but they weren't for me. They were always my father's favorites."

"Oh. What is your favorite cookie?"

"I guess I don't know," he said.

"Well, we'll have to find out then."

"I think you're right. Knickers would be optional," he said, kissing her ear.

She inhaled sharply, tilting her head a bit to give him better access to the spot on her neck she was particularly fond of him kissing.

"Turn around," he whispered into her ear and she did as he asked without hesitation or question. He loved that about her. "I have a question for you, Hermione."

"Oh?"

"Close your eyes," he murmured, kissing her neck. When he saw that she'd done as he asked he reached for her left hand. Sliding the ring onto her finger he exhaled sharply.

"You can open your eyes," he said.

"Severus," she said, running a finger over the ring.

"Will you be my witch, Hermione Jean Granger?"

She turned in his arms then, sliding her arms around his neck. "Yes," she cried out, kissing him fully on the mouth. "Yes."

"Thank Merlin," he said, kissing her back. "The ring is a Prince heirloom and I'd really hate to have to explain to my ancestors how I got rejected with that as my offering."

"Oh?" she said, drawing away from him to look at the ring again.

"Yes, so if you don't like it."

"I didn't think you had anything from them. I thought they disowned your mother."

"Well, that's a long story, but as it turns out my father was in fact from a magical family. He was a squib and had been disowned eventually due to some misbehaviour his parents couldn't overlook after a while. He lived in hiding as a muggle. He recognized my mother's name as anyone familiar with magical England would and sought to ensnare her out of spite to his family and the wizarding community as a whole. My mother met him in a muggle bar one night, trying to force herself into agreeing to marry the wizard arranged for her. Eventually, as it was discovered my father was in fact of a magical bloodline and that I embraced the wizarding world beliefs so solidly, the Prince estate has fallen to me. With it the vault."

"So why was he so bitter?"

"Because my mother and I were not squibs and much more powerful than anyone in his family, even as a child I was. I suspect he was hoping to create a squib himself and cast that in the Prince line, but I guess I'll never know."

"Huh," she said. "How long have you known this?"

"Not long. My solicitor is a friend of a squib, I've mentioned that to you. He employs that squib to do some of his investigative or getting documents the Ministry wouldn't release to a muggle legwork in the magic world. For whatever reason he said he thought my mother marrying a muggle seemed off so he asked the squib to dig. Anyway, it appears due to my work for the Dark Lord I was deemed worthy of the Prince estate. I'm sure they'd take it back now, but they cannot."

"That's wonderful. I mean, that you found all that out."

"This ring obviously wouldn't have been my mother's as her husband would get her her ring, but as her son it would go to my bride."

"How many generations have worn it?"

"At least five."

She gasped softly. "It's lovely."

"I thought you'd think so. There were a few others I could have chosen, but this one seemed as if it was made for you and the fact that it accepted you is proof of that."

"Well, I'm glad that it did because it's beautiful, really."

"So that means you'll be able to attend Hogwarts this year. Minerva has said she'll take you on as an apprentice and you will assist me with teaching the first through third years in potions. You can remain in my class, however, someone else on the staff will grade your tests and papers. You will review for NEWTs and sit them on your own when you feel you're ready. Of course myself and all of the professors will be at your disposal for any questions or refreshing you think you are in need of."

"Okay," she said, nodding. "This isn't because Viktor wanted to help me, is it?"

He scoffed. "No, it's because I want you to be my wife and I don't want you in France or Scandinavia or wherever else you might think to go."

"I'm very relieved to hear that." She slid her hand to his cheek, touching him there. "Is that where you went today?"

"It is," he admitted.

"You're lucky I didn't know."

"That's why I didn't tell you."

"I'm just glad you didn't splinch yourself."

"As am I, Witch, as am I."

Potter knocked on the door then.

"Madam Pomfrey is here, Sir."

"Oh Harry," Hermione said, releasing Snape and running to him to show him her hand.

"Is that," Harry said, glancing from the ring to Hermione and then to Severus. "Wow, congratulations."

"Thanks!"

"I'll leave you two to talk then," Severus said, making his way downstairs to see Poppy in the hopes he'd be cleared to return to Hogwarts. He knew Minerva was doing everything that she could, but he relished the opportunity to run Hogwarts as he should have been able to as its Headmaster. He knew the castle itself recognized which side he was on, but he still had plenty to make up for to the people inside of it.


"So, I can return then."

"Yes, but I caution you not to talk too much yet, and I'd suggest a cane for the time being."

Severus grimaced.

Poppy put her hand on his wrist, squeezing lightly. "She won't care, Headmaster."

"I wasn't…"

"You can't lie to me. Any wizard worth their weight in gold who had a bonded soulmate a bit younger would question it. And I'm telling you she won't care. She never left your side while in the Hogwarts infirmary. She wouldn't let anyone near you unless Messrs Potter, Weasley, or Shacklebolt were there in the event someone said something untoward or against you that she'd appear biased in defending you against."

He arched a brow at that.

"I'm quite sure she didn't here either, for that matter. Leave your side, I mean. Look at what she did for Mr. Potter, Headmaster. Just think the extremes she'd go to for someone she's accepted her bond with."

"Thank you, Poppy." She hadn't told him anything he didn't already know and recognize about his witch. He was lucky, incredibly so.

"You have a job to do, though," she said.

"What?" He frowned, confused.

"Please ensure she rests and eats. She is dreadfully thin, Headmaster."

"I'd noticed."

"I know it's usually the witch who takes care of the wizard, but I implore you to look after her."

"Of course," he bristled at the implication he was not, would not.

"On a personal note, Severus, I'm very happy for you. If anyone deserves some happiness in their life and to associate with Hogwarts, it's you."

He nodded slightly. "Thank you."

"When I saw your fingers I could hardly believe it."

"Who'd bond her with me, you mean?"

"No! That you found one another. Just think of the odds, Severus, especially with her growing up a muggle. Her parents could have said no. I assume you found out one of the times you had to heal her. If she'd been anyone but Harry Potter's friend none of those incidents would have happened to put her in the infirmary in need of my, our, care."

"You are correct," he said. "I never pursued it when she was my student, Madam Pomfrey, I assure you."

"I never implied you did. I know better, even questioning you during this past school year I know you'd never compromise a student in such a fashion. I'm also quite sure accepting the bond was her idea not yours."

"Yes. She thought our shared strength might be useful."

"It may have saved your lives, both of you."

He'd thought about that. Their close proximity after being bitten, the extra boost from her coming from their bond may have been the tipping point in survival versus death.

She patted his hand.

"I'll let Minerva know to expect you."

"Tonight," he said simply. "I likely won't stay, but I'd like to see everything."

"Of course, I'll let her know."

"Thank you, Poppy."

Return to Top

Part 23 | Part 25

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com