Chapter Twenty-Six
September 1998

Kingsley had brought their certificate acknowledging their accepted bond to the ceremony. The legal marriage was then added to the same document. Efficient. The Wonder Woman-like lasso returned as they took their vows, causing a gasp from their guests as they watched the literal bond between them change from deep gold to red, green, silver, and back to gold again before seeming to slide back into the bride and groom's bodies.

There was an intimate dinner in the staff room for the guests and officiant. The night had been immensely simple, ending due to Hermione's recent miscarriage with the bride and groom falling asleep their marriage unconsummated. Madam Pomfrey had stressed that her body was still healing and as a healer discouraged penetration for a little longer than only a few days when Hermione visited her about starting on the potion. She knew she could brew some herself and likely would going forward, but she wanted some now and Severus obviously had no reason to keep extra on-hand in his personal stores when there were no students in the castle.

They were so busy anyway, though Severus assigned her more tedious, desk-type tasks. She understood, and was honestly grateful he wasn't afraid to show others that he cared enough to want her to take it easy. It was perhaps an odd way to start a marriage, but they both enjoyed the challenge of getting Hogwarts ready for the students' return.

As agreed, she was Minerva's apprentice with the understanding by her former head of house that Severus was also going to work with her to get her mastery in potions as well. She would teach first through third years for both Transfiguration and Potions. Since she wasn't actually taking any of the NEWT classes (merely sitting in if she felt she needed to) there were no concerns about bias in the NEWT level potions class.

So, it was with excitement and a little trepidation that the first day of Hogwarts newest school year came and with it the opening feast. She was sitting at the Gryffindor table with Ginny and a few other seventh years. Sadly (in her opinion anyway), she was the only one from her year who returned to complete their education. Tomorrow, she would sit with Severus at the head table, but for tonight she thought it more prudent that she sit with her house.

Hermione invited Ginny to join her for some tea. She wasn't ready to be alone yet and she knew Severus would be a while longer doing Headmaster things.

Ever accommodating, Hermione had her own personal access to their quarters from a hallway off the Headmaster's office. It made sense, she couldn't be traipsing through his office every time she needed to come and go from their rooms. Nor did she want to!

The door opened, recognizing her and she watched as Ginny looked around, taking in what amounted to Hermione's home for ten months' of the year.

"This is way more homey than I envisioned," her friend finally said.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, you know, it's Snape. I was expecting black or at most dark green. Very bland and practical, nothing homey or comfortable."

"Midge," Hermione called out.

"How may Midge help Missus Headmaster," the elf said, eyes wide as she regarded Hermione and Ginny.

"A tea tray, please, Midge."

"Yes, Missus," she said, bowing as she left with a pop.

"You're using house elves now?"

Hermione rolled her eyes. "I've been assured she chose to be my elf. She's really very nice."

They sat in front of the fireplace, a second chair similar to Hermione's favorite had appeared right next to it and she smiled at the castle accommodating her friend. She found Severus' too rigid, though she imagined Ginny might not care much.

"So, how are Harry and Ron doing?" Hermione asked once their tea had come and they'd each prepared their cup.

"Fine. I think Harry's enjoying it more than Ron."

"Ron's probably realizing that it's actually work and I'm not there to do it for him," she said with a soft laugh. She still hadn't quite gotten over him leaving them last year as he had. Everyone had been through so much so she wasn't going to announce it from the rooftops, but she knew Ginny would understand Hermione's bit of snark.

"You might be right. I think Fred is really hitting him hard."

"I know. I tried to get him to go stay at your house over the summer, but he insisted the three of us needed to stay together. I think if he'd gone home he might have been able to grieve better. I had Severus to take care of, and Harry had his own demons to push through between the final battle and finally deciding to live in the Black home."

"You could be right, or maybe being an auror just isn't what he wants."

"That could be, too."

"And you?" Ginny asked.

"Me what?"

"What are you going to do? God, you're married now, Hermione. You're Mrs. Severus Snape. That just blows my mind. We're having tea in the Headmaster's private sitting room! Just think of the things Skeeter can go after you for now!"

They laughed bitterly, both realizing the joke was based in harsh truth.

"As far as what I'm going to do, I'm going to get my mastery in Transfiguration and and another in Potions and likely take over for Professor McGonagall when she's ready to retire. She's hinted that time may come soon."

"Who can blame her?"

"Right?"

"And married life?"

Hermione shrugged. "It suits me just fine. We've both been so busy."

"Why did you sit with me tonight?"

"I thought it would be better. I am his wife, but am still technically a student even if I'm sitting my NEWTs when I'm ready to not with the rest of you seventh years. I know I'm an apprentice and a professor's assistant, but I just thought it would be less abrasive."

"Makes sense. I was surprised."

"It'll be an adjustment."

"Can I see it," Ginny asked, pointing at Hermione's ring finger. She knew the other witch wasn't asking to see her ring, as nice as it was. She slid her wedding ring off and held her hand out for Ginny to see.

"Did you have any idea?"

"No," Hermione said as Ginny grazed the mark with her thumb. "None. He didn't even realize it until the Department of Mysteries battle. He says he knew I was here, he felt the difference in his magic. He says he should've known it was me when I solved his puzzle first year."

"Like attracts like," Ginny said.

"I guess."

The door from his office opened and he came in, pausing briefly as he took her and Ginny in.

"Miss Weasley," he said, removing his cravat. He walked toward the two of them, brushing a kiss against Hermione's cheek and offering her the smile that was usually reserved for her in private. "Madam Snape," he said smoothly.

"It's nice to see you, Headmaster," Ginny said.

"Likewise. How is everything and everyone at the Burrow?"

"The same," she shrugged. "Well, you know, pretty much the same."

"Right."

"Mom was kind of freaking out when I left, I'm not sure why this year of all years when it's done for the most part."

"It's your last year, you're her youngest. I think it's natural she would get a little emotional after everything we've been through of late."

"You're probably right," Ginny said, and Hermione could tell the Head Girl hadn't thought of it that way.

"I realize your mother was before my time at Hogwarts, but I've had the pleasurable misfortune of having every one of you Weasleys as a student so I'm somewhat aware of what she may be thinking."

"Pleasurable misfortune. Am I included in that?"

"You most especially," he quipped and she laughed.

"Would you like to join us for tea," Hermione offered.

"No, thank you. I'm going to get ready for bed and read for a bit."

"I won't be much longer."

"Yes, we can't have the Head Girl breaking curfew on her first night." Severus kissed the top of Hermione's head, letting a finger trace along her neck and the edge of her ear before drawing away.

"It's good to have you back, Miss Weasley," he said before heading into their room.

"God, the way he looks at you, Hermione," Ginny whispered.

"I'll admit there are times he can just look at me and my knickers get wet," she said just as softly.

"I can't blame you. I know Ron's still a little miffed about the whole thing, but anyone with eyes can see that you do really like each other."

"It'll be interesting this year, that's for sure. We weren't together together until after the three of us had left school last year. So we haven't spent a huge amount of time together. And here we are married. I mean, I want to be married, but …" she paused, taking a sip of tea. "Please don't repeat this, not even to Harry or Ron."

"Okay," Ginny said.

"I feel ridiculous even talking about this. I'm not the only one it's happened to and I think about Fred and Teddy with neither of his parents, but I was pregnant. I don't know how exactly, I mean clearly I know how. It's just that we were both very careful with the charm, knowing my being pregnant in the middle of a war while I was living in a tent was not the best of circumstances. It happened, though. I lost it, and as much as I feel that loss and I do. I feel relief, though, too, that we won't have a newborn so soon after we were married. That sounds terrible, doesn't it? I mean, I didn't even know I was pregnant. If Madam Pomfrey hadn't suspected and run that particular diagnostic I would have just assumed I didn't feel well that day because of stress or whatever catching up with me. It's just I know there will be gossip without a baby being born much sooner than nine months after our wedding."

"Oh, Hermione," she said, touching her hand. "I had no idea. I'm sorry. Here I'm prattling on about Harry and Ron's training and school…"

"Oh, God, I want you to, Ginny. Honestly. Overall I'm fine. I think we have enough going on right now trying to juggle all of this without a baby. I'm fine, really, I mean it. There are days I think about it, it was a boy, what it would be like and maybe a baby right after all the badness would be good. I know we'll have a chance for more, though, when we're ready. We would have made it work, I know we would have." She shrugged, staring into the fire for a minute. She was probably doing a terrible job of expressing her feelings. She truly didn't know what or how she was feeling, never mind what she was supposed to feel.

"Do you want more?"

"I do," she said without hesitation.

"Wow. Hogwarts babies. How exciting."

She smiled at that. "Yeah."

"Are you sure you're okay? I feel like a horrible friend, I didn't know!"

"I didn't either. Honest. I'm okay. I think I might be kind of hung up on that baby would have been something good to come out of the war, but that's a horrible burden to put on a child. And probably its parents, too."

"Well, it would've been loved."

"The next one will be, too, and we'll be a little more ready for it. I'd just like some Hermione and Severus time, you know? Finish my schoolwork, get my masteries."

"And you will."

She sighed softly, Ginny did, too.

"No offense, Hermione, but I'm not sure the world's prepared for children of you and Snape," Ginny said after a few moments of thoughtful silence between them.

"Professor Snape, Ginny," she corrected.

"Yeah, yeah. Anyway, but Merlin, can you imagine how potentially smart they could be."

"Well, yes," she admitted

"And you love that thought, don't you?"

"I can admit it, yes."

She nodded. "Yeah, Ron never stood a chance, did he?"

"Not really, but not for that reason. We were just too different in so many ways, and I think we work better as friends even without Severus."

"Well, I for one look forward to meeting your children."

"You know, Professor Dumbledore's portrait evidently told Severus the same thing."

"Oh boy, I'm not sure I like the idea that I'm thinking like him."

Hermione laughed, but it had kind of a bitter sound. So many lauded Dumbledore as a hero, and in the grand scheme of things she supposed he was. However, there were a few who knew the truth, the games he had played, the things he had allowed to happen, and the facts he omitted from sharing until it was too late to do anything else. Hermione would never disparage the former headmaster, but she'd lost a certain amount of respect for him when she, Severus, and Harry had been able to compare notes this summer. He'd basically set Harry up to die and hadn't told a soul that would need to be the end result.

"I should get back to the common room before curfew."

"I hope you'll come again, I know it's weird," she said, gesturing to the room around them.

"It is weird, but you know nothing could keep me away.from you. I'm sure I'll have to rant about the stupidity Harry and Ron are getting up to with their training at any rate and no one else would understand!"

"Well, at least I'm useful for something."

They stood and Hermione hugged her once they were at the door. She had to admit it was nice to have her friend here, and it was very good to unload. She hadn't really until now. Severus listened and understood but she didn't want to burden him either when he was busy.

"And thank you for listening. I didn't realize that I even really needed to talk about it until now. I mean Severus knows, Madam Pomfrey knows. Neville doesn't really know anything, and I think prefers it that way. He asked me every day for weeks if I was okay, so I know he was concerned. I guess I just needed to acknowledge it. Him."

"I guess you did, and I'm glad you confided in me." She squeezed her hand. "And I'm sorry, I know that's not good enough, but I don't know what else to say. If you ever need time at the Broomsticks on a Hogsmeade weekend or even just an hour in my room, just us. Let me know."

"Thank you."

"This is really it, isn't it? Our last year."

"It is."

"Mine anyway, you're not leaving after this year is done. This is your home, Hermione!"

"It is and you're right, I'm not leaving anytime soon."

She took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Night, Madam Snape," she said before dashing out the door.

Hermione returned to the fireplace, putting their cups and everything on the tray. She may have an elf, but she wasn't about to leave stuff strewn all over the place for Midge to have to do.

She went to their bedroom then, closing the door behind her glad to see he was, in fact, still awake. He was reading one of her muggle mystery novels, which made her smile.

"Something amusing, Witch?"

"Not in the slightest," she said.

"That's good. I'd hate to be a source of amusement for you."

"Oh, you can be at times, but not at this moment. I'll be out in a minute," she said, walking to the bathroom.

She got ready for bed, sighing softly as she pulled out the nightgown she'd bought recently and chosen for tonight. She'd never worn anything like it and she was admittedly nervous. Would he like it? She wasn't sure he was the type, though the gift of appropriately colored knickers seemed to lead her to believe he might be. In fact, underneath the nightie the crotchless pair he'd given her made her feel both exposed and sexy.

She felt his eyes on her when she came out of the bathroom. His appreciative gasp told her he at least liked the nightie she wore. She looked at his face then, and she smiled a bit knowing his eyes weren't at all on her face. She was okay with that, as this nightie was clearly designed with that being the intent.

"How very Slytherin of you, Madam Snape," he said, finally meeting her gaze.

"The color you mean?" It was Slytherin green, which was why she'd bought it.

"Wearing it when you know the new year starts tomorrow and you know my mind may be on things other than my lovely wife," he said, setting the book on the stand next to his side of the bed.

"Should I…"

"Don't you dare," he said quickly and she knew she was blushing now.

She made her way to the bed.

"Do I get to unwrap you?"

"If you'd like."

"Is leaving it on an option?"

"Whatever my wizard wishes."

He leaned in to kiss her, sliding his hand along her satin-covered thigh to her hip and up, cupping a breast as he deepened the kiss.

"It seems a shame to wrinkle it," he murmured, finding her jaw.

"I'm sure between the two of us we can fix it," she whispered, breathlessly. "We do know magic after all."

He chuckled softly as he found her collarbone and neck. She tilted her head a bit, granting him better access. She knew what he was doing and frankly wasn't of the mind to stop him. She heard the moan against her neck when he discovered what she was wearing underneath the nightie. A finger grazed her clit before sliding lower. She cried out as he slid a finger inside of her, grazing her ass with his little finger.

Slowly, he made his way from her neck, pushing the nightie up so that he could pay her breasts attention while his clever fingers worked at getting her wetter and wetter.

"Those I'm not showing anyone else," she whispered in response to the small love bite he'd left on the top of each breast.

"Those are for me," he murmured, sucking and licking his way over her tummy and lower. He drew the nightie back down again and she smiled slightly at that. Any amusement was cut short, though. She gasped as he brushed her clit with his nose before laving it with his tongue, which was almost as clever as his fingers. Or possibly more clever if her reaction to him right now was any indication.

Her fingers slid through his hair affectionately. Her other hand found a breast, gasping softly as she ran her fingers over her hardened nipple through the satin of the nightie. He looked up then, watching her as he laved her clit in the way he'd learned would bring her off.

"Merlin," she murmured as she found a second release before he stopped. He kissed her inner thigh, nipping the skin there before sliding up to nestle himself between her legs.

"I wanted to do that, too."

"Next time," he whispered.

"Severus," she said.

"I need to be in you," he said, doing just that. She accepted him, crying out at the feel of him sliding into her. She was wet for him naturally and because of his efforts with his mouth, but he was still a snug fit. She wasn't sure what it meant that she did, but she enjoyed the little pinch of discomfort that came from his size.

She was expecting fast and hard with his insistence that he needed to be inside of her, but she got very pleasurable and lengthy instead. No complaints. She clutched to him as he moved in and out of her, slowly and deliberately, pulling out enough to rub against her clit again and again. Her voice was hoarse from the sounds he was bringing out of her. He enjoyed watching his cock slide in and out of her and it turned her on knowing he was getting turned on.

Their lips met and she bit his lower lip before meeting his tongue as a hand slid under her thigh, drawing her leg up a bit to change the angle slightly as he grew more frantic with his thrusts. She loved this moment, feeling him lose control. No one else would ever see or feel it, she was truly humbled that he allowed her to. That she could bring him to the point where he let his guard down.

"Mine," he hissed as he finally gave in to his body's needs.

"Just yours," she murmured, kissing his jaw and neck.

Their breathing was the only sound for some time, his thumb grazing along her ass where he held her as they came down together.

"I thought that would be a good way to start the year off, proving it will be better than the last."

"That is one way to assure that."

She gave a soft laugh, kissing his jaw and neck.

"I love you, Severus Snape."

"I love you, Hermione Snape," he whispered, nuzzling against her neck.

Eventually, he moved beside her and she curled up against him.

"Will you wear that again tomorrow night?"

"If you insist."

He chuckled. "Sass."

"I guess I should've bought more than one."

"Let your husband buy some. I hear he likes to see you in such things."

"So I've come to find out."

"Me, too," he whispered. "I had no idea how much. Thank you."

"Thank you!" She leaned up then, tracing a finger along one of the scars on his abdomen mindlessly. "I'd wear anything for you, you know that."

He nodded, a twitch of a smirk on his lips.

"In all honesty, Hermione, Love. As nice as it looks and feels, I will admit to preferring you sans any trappings."

"I feel the same way."

"Well, who could blame you," he said, running a finger along her nightie. "This is hardly my style."

"Hmm," she said, knowing she had a gleam in her eye

"No, Hermione!"

"There are options for men, you know."

"So long as it's not purchased in Diagon or Knockturn Alley," he murmured begrudgingly, but she knew he would wear whatever she bought for him. He knew she wouldn't buy anything that would make him truly uncomfortable.

"You mean you don't want all of Wizarding England to know you please your wife?"

"The Headmaster of Hogwarts does not want anyone to think about what he or his witch are wearing under their robes."

"Can I buy pink?"

He snorted.

"You would owe me."

"That is a debt that would be very fun to pay."

He scoffed, shaking his head. She was sure he was imagining himself donned in pink lace or something.

"Good night, Love," he murmured, kissing the top of her head as she snuggled in against him after banking the fire and extinguishing the lights without words or her wand. "Show off."

"It's your fault."

"Had I but known," he quipped.

She smiled as she slid her foot along his calf, feeling very content and satisfied. She hoped her husband was, too. She wanted him to go into tomorrow feeling good, knowing things had changed.

The wizarding world had changed.

He had changed.

Return to Top

Part 25 | Part 27

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com