Chapter Twenty-Three
May 1998

"Your witch has been busy, my boy," Albus said.

Severus stood from his desk and turned to Albus' portrait. He hadn't heard anything from Hermione for a couple of days. He assumed that meant she was busy. He knew they were working on something that he couldn't know about, so he left her to it. They were lucky they'd gotten away with him knowing about the horcruxes. He was a master at occlumency, however, he knew the art wasn't completely fool-proof.

"What are you talking about, old man?"

"I was just in my portrait in the Ministry and there's been a break in, and escape, at Gringotts."

"Impossible."

"They escaped on one of the dragons," Albus said with a chuckle, and Severus was certain his eyes were positively sparkling with mirth. And possibly pride.

"I'm going to wring her neck."

Albus chuckled softly at that. "Wait a hundred or so years to do so, won't you. Anyone who can accomplish a break in at Gringotts is someone I'd like to see go toe to toe with you."

It was later that night when the notebook warmed and relief flooded through Severus.

WE'RE COMING TO HOGWARTS. CAN YOU KEEP ANY DEATH EATERS ON THE PREMISES AWAY FROM THE AREA BY THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS ENTRANCE?

YES.

He wanted to ask what in the world she needed from there, but he knew he was probably better off not knowing at this point. So, he settled for the next best thing, expressing his concern for her well-being.

ARE YOU WELL?

YES.

YOU HAVE MANAGED TO ACCOMPLISH THE UNFATHOMABLE.

YOU'VE HEARD?

ALBUS DID, HIS MINISTRY PORTRAIT. I SUSPECT MOST OF WIZARDING ENGLAND HAS HEARD BY NOW.

AH.

YOU'LL HAVE TO TELL ME ABOUT IT ONE DAY, WITCH.

GLADLY.

OH, AND NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN HIDING, I'D SUGGEST NOT RIDING A DRAGON.

WELL, YOU KNOW ME AND FLYING.

He chuckled at that.

HAVE TO GO NOW.

She ended this round of notes with a heart.


Things were happening too fast. Hermione couldn't keep track of who was doing what and where. The horcruxes were destroyed, but Voldemort evidently thought Severus was the wielder of the Elder Wand.

"Harry," she said desperately. "We have to find him."

"Hermione."

"No, Harry, we have to. It's not what you think."

"It's him?"

She bowed her head slightly. "Please Harry. This is me asking you to trust me."

He nodded his head ever so slightly. Hermione knew it wasn't easy for Harry to trust Severus.

"We'll be talking about this later, though."

"I can't wait," she said, knowing it was the last thing she wanted to do.

The Trio hid in the tunnel, listening as Voldemort went on about believing Severus was the master of the Elder Wand.

They rushed in as soon as they heard Voldemort and that bloody snake of his leave. Hermione dashed to his side, tearing open his robes and shirt so she could look at him. She searched his pockets for what she hoped he'd kept on him, finding two of the vials she'd given him for Christmas. She recognized the potion as being the anti-venom used on Mr. Weasley and breathed in relief.

"I need my bag," she said, gesturing at Ron to where it'd fallen out of her hands a second ago as she collected the memories Severus evidently wanted Harry to have. Ron handed her the beaded bag. She called the bezoar stone she knew she had in there along with some dittany and blood replenishing potion.

"We can't leave her with Snape, Harry," Ron said as Hermione continued to pull items out of the bag that she thought there was even a chance she'd need.

"Go, you need to see them, Harry," she said, gesturing to the vial of Severus' memories. "He needs you to see them. Please trust me."

"Are you mental? Harry! We can't leave her with him!"

"I'll be fine. Go," she cried out.

She went to work on his neck. She had no idea what all she said to him. She was sure she sounded even more like a crazed maniac than normal when she was rambling, but she had to keep busy or she'd explode in a sea of tears and that wouldn't do Severus any good.

"You will not die on me, Severus Snape, do you hear me," she said. "We are going to grow old together and have babies, grandbabies, and great grandbabies. You promised me that you wanted to survive so do it. Fight. Fight for us. Fight for me!"

She felt his pulse. It was weak, but it was there and she breathed deeply. There was nothing more she could do for him here. She wasn't a healer, and while the lessons he'd given her (and showing her what the anti-venom looked like so she'd recognize it like the clever wizard that he was) very likely saved his life she'd prefer a professional see to him from here. She levitated him then, leading him to the infirmary.

"What do you think you are doing, Miss Granger?" Madam Pomfrey asked.

"He needs help," she said.

"Well, I…"

"Have you known me to be misguided? Illogical? Easily deceived?"

"Well, no, of course not, dear. You are the brightest witch…"

"Okay then, trust me when I tell you that if you let this wizard die after what I've done to ensure he has a chance to survive you will regret it until the day you die."

Her eyes widened.

"Please, Madam Pomfrey. I'll help. Whatever you need me to do."

"Alright, dear," she said with a nod.

Hermione suspected it was more the fact that she was a healer and she imagined like doctors they must take some sort of oath to give someone aid who requires it no matter their opinion of said patient.

The older healer worked hard, asking for Hermione's assistance here and there. When she wasn't needed, she held Severus's left hand with hers. She knew at one point Madam Pomfrey saw their soul marks. The soft gasp, followed by her eyes widening at their joined hands and their identical marks on their ring fingers glowing brightly told her so.

Eventually, Harry and Ron found her in the infirmary. She had no idea how much time had passed.

"Woah," Ron said as he approached them, standing at the foot of the bed.

"Is he going to be alright?" Harry asked, going to the other side of the bed across from Hermione.

"I think so," Hermione said numbly. "Is it done?"

"Yes," Harry said, smiling widely.

"Harry died and everything."

"What?" Hermoine frowned.

"Well, it turned out I was a horcrux," Harry said. "It was in some of the memories Snape gave me."

"Professor Snape, Harry," she corrected instinctively.

"Do your hands always do that?" Ron asked.

"Our left hands do," Hermione said with a nod.

"I've heard, you know, stories, but never seen it."

Ron stepped toward her, touching her finger.

"It feels normal," he said.

She smiled a little at that.

"Not to me," she said.

"Really?"

"It feels," she shrugged. "You know when your arm falls asleep and that tingling sensation when the blood starts coming back?"

"Yeah," both boys said.

"It feels kind of like that. I mean, that's the only way I can describe it."

"I'm going to meet with Kingsley," Harry said. "Ron's going to stay here with you since he knows that Professor Snape has been on our side the entire time."

"Okay," Hermione whispered.

"I'm going to fight for him to get the recognition he deserves. People think I was essential. Without Snape…"

"I know," she whispered.

Ron took a seat on the other side of the bed, saying nothing for a little while.

"So, you and Snape, huh?"

"Professor Snape, Ronald."

"Come on, he's your soulmate, surely your best friend can call him Snape."

"My best friend should show him the respect he's earned and deserves."

My witch, defending me so staunchly.

"I will until I have no more breath in my body," she whispered.

"Huh?" Ron asked, clearly confused.

"I just heard him in my head."

"You can do that?"

"Yeah, when we're close like this. I'm not sure it'd work from too far away."

"So, are you going to like get married?"

"I think we'd like to actually be able to properly spend time with one another without a crazy egomaniac running loose before we get to marriage."

"I suppose," Ron said.

"Is that a problem?"

"You waiting or you marrying the git?"

"Ron!"

"I'm teasing, 'mione. I mean, he is kind of a git, but he can be your git. I'm okay with that."

"Thank you for your blessing, Ronald."

He scoffed. "And, no it's not a problem. I want you to be happy, and it's hard for me to argue with a soul mark."

"He didn't make me accept it."

He blanched a little at that. "You mean you have already." He held his hand up. "Wait, I don't want to know."

"Okay," she said wryly.

They grew quiet then, Ron staying in case anyone came in to try to arrest or harm Severus. Harry hadn't said that was why he asked Ron to stay, but she knew. There were many people out there who thought Severus a traitor.

"Fred's gone," Ron said finally.

"Oh, Ron, I'm so sorry."

"Thanks," he said. He was staring past her. "And Remus and Tonks," he said.

"No! Both of them? Poor Teddy!"

"On the other hand, we got Nagini so all the horcruxes are gone."

"Who killed Nagini?"

"Neville."

Severus scoffed in her mind. She squeezed his hand.

"Be nice," she said softly.

"Neville?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," she said with a shrug.

"You should be with your family," she said after a few minutes of silence between them.

"No, Mom and Dad have the rest of the kids. Snape needs me until Harry's done with Kingsley."

"Thank you," she said.

"He's a hero, Hermione. Harry says…"

"I know," she said simply.

"I suppose you do. Did you know he knew Harry's mum and dad?"

"I did, yes."

"They were, like, friends. Well, Harry's mum anyway."

"Yes. He cared about her very much."

"And you're okay with that?"

"I care about you very much. And Harry."

"I suppose," he said.

"We've talked about it, Ron. Obviously I already knew about it, so it's no shock."

"You're right. I just want you to be happy, you know."

"I do, but I'm not going to reveal his personal experiences to you. He wouldn't like that."

"I get that."

"What about you and Luna?"

"What?" he asked, blushing profusely.

"That's what I thought. I noticed you two at Bill's."

"It was nothing."

"It has the potential to not be nothing."

"Maybe," he said with a shrug.

"She's sweet," Hermione said.

"She is," he admitted.

She nodded and they grew quiet again.

Harry returned a while later.

"No charges or trial based on the pensive memories," Harry said, beaming. "He can recuperate at Grimmauld Place."

"Are you sure, Harry?"

"He's your soulmate, Hermione. You're not going to want to be away from him, I want to know you're somewhere safe. Kingsley and I decided he should not be at St. Mungo's while he heals."

"No, he'd hate that."

"Then it's settled. We'll get a room set up for him and bring him home."

"Thank you."

He nodded simply. "That's what family does, Hermione. You took care of me, us, for months. Let us do it now."

Harry held up the vial of memories and returned them to Hermione.

"He is one of the bravest, most heroic men I've ever known, Hermione. I don't know anything about the soul bond thing, Kingsley tried to explain the soul mark to me. All I know is that whoever is behind choosing mates for people chose right for you two. Two braver, self-sacrificing people I've never met."

Hermione blushed severely at that. She'd hoped when Harry knew the truth he'd come around. She hadn't been expecting it so quickly.

"Do you think," Harry stammered, blushing. "Do you think he'd tell me about my mum?"

"You'd have to ask him, but I imagine he could be persuaded to do that."

Harry smiled.

The next day Severus was moved to a bedroom at Grimmauld Place. Hermione was sent home with everything she'd need to care for him from potions to bandages. Madam Pomfrey had given her detailed instructions and signs to watch for to indicate St. Mungo's may be necessary.

"You will be fine, dear," Madam Pomfrey had said. "I'm just an owl away if you need anything."

"Thank you."

"Thank you for showing some backbone and making me go above and beyond."

"I couldn't let anything happen to him."

"Nor should you, dear." She'd tsk'd softly. "He's gone through so much. I'm glad he has someone finally to take care of him properly."

"Me, too," Hermione said.

"He's strong, and knows he has you. You got to him very quickly, which was important."

"I know," she said.


So here she was, sitting in a remotely comfortable chair beside his bed. It was certainly more comfortable than the bedside chair at Hogwarts. She thought about getting into bed with him, but didn't want to jostle him. Or to have him wake in an unfamiliar room of an unfamiliar house alone if she went to her own room. She was sure if she went to sleep now she wouldn't wake up for days, and she just didn't have the time for that.

Two days had passed. She'd fallen into a bit of a routine. Harry or Ron would sit with him while she showered. Otherwise, she rarely left his bedside. She read to him from books, potions magazines, and even muggle magazines that she knew he had no interest in but it was something different.

"She likes reading. She did it to me all of the time while you were gone," Harry said.

"Yeah, well, there's a difference between her reading to you and reading to her soulmate."

"What kind of difference?"

"She doesn't want to leave his side. I'm worried about her. I'm worried their bond is exhausting her."

"I don't understand," Harry said.

"I'm not sure what's to understand, Harry," Ron said.

They were in the hallway, evidently not realizing the door to Severus' bedroom was ajar.

"You're not sure though. What does all of it mean? How can there be nothing to find out about?"

"It just is. I'm telling you, it's one of those things that I think most wizards our age think is just a story. No one really knows. I don't think my parents know anyone who are mated like that, and no one would admit to a soul mark without finding their mate."

"Can they stop it?"

"No, and why would they? Harry, it's a huge honor. Someone basically hand-picked them for each other."

"I get it," Harry said. "I just don't understand how we didn't notice before now."

"What do you mean?"

"Her mark on her finger. Evidently it's always been there."

"Oh right, yeah, supposedly only you can see your mark until you've accepted the bond."

Silence.

"You do realize that means she's shagged him, right?"

"What?" Harry asked.

"That's how you accept the bond."

"Come on, there has to be another way."

"No, not that I've ever heard anyway. They're essentially married, Harry. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Ministry would consider them married without a ceremony if they just presented their soul marks. And, man, unstoppable."

"What?"

"Snape was already powerful, incredibly so. I'd say he's probably the most powerful wizard, certainly in England now that Dumbledore is gone. At least according to Mom and Dad, and they'd know. Supposedly, though, their magic converges, merges, so they both benefit."

"I did notice her doing a lot of wandless magic," Harry said.

"That'd be why, Snape excels in it, you know. Don't let him being a potions master fool you. She would get that boost. I mean, she won't be as good as he is right away even if it is Hermione, but she'll have knowledge and access to magical abilities she wouldn't without him. And him, too."

"So, are we supposed to congratulate her?"

"Yeah, I mean, it really is a huge honor, Harry."

"You're sure it means she shagged him?"

Hermione stood then and strode to the door, throwing it the rest of the way open. She could tell she surprised them.

"For heaven's sake. Yes, I've shagged him. Several times now if you must know. It was wonderful, and I look forward to him waking up so I can again."

"Blimey, 'mione," Ron said with a gulp.

"What? You guys are standing out here talking about my relationship as if I can't hear you. If you don't want to think about who I shag then stop talking about it! Really!"

"I didn't realize you could," Harry said.

"Obviously. The door wasn't even closed completely! Now do you mind?"

"Well, we came up to see if you wanted a break. You know, do something!"

"No," she said, turning around. Harry grabbed her arm, stopping her from going any further.

"Hermione, I don't understand all of this. That's why I was asking Ron. I can admit that. You're not going to do him any good if you're exhausted. He'd be mad at us if we let you get even more run down."

"I have been sleeping," she said softly.

"Yeah, in a chair, leaning your head against his arm an hour or two at a time. That's not sleeping, 'mione," Ron said.

"It's fine. It's no worse than what I've been doing the past few months."

"I suppose," Harry said, clearly not convinced.

"I'll be fine."

"At least let us bring you dinner when it's ready."

She nodded at that. "That would be fine," she agreed.

Kreacher didn't like her much so he hadn't set a plate aside for her the last two nights. Hermione had found food to eat in the kitchen, but even she had to admit there was something appealing about a real meal after months of living in the wilderness.

"Thank you," Ron said.

"Do you need any help?" Harry asked.

"No, thank you, Harry."

"Have you, um, heard anything from him. You know, mentally," Ron asked.

Hermione smiled a little at that. "Somewhat. Enough to know he's in there."

"I'm sorry. I'm sure that's hard."

She shrugged. "I just want him to rest. He's healing. I know that."

"You're taking good care of him, 'mione, anyone can see that."

"Thank you, Ronald," she said.


Twelve days!

She charmed the bed to expand it so she could sleep in it comfortably without crowding him after the fourth day. Harry and Ron were right, she wouldn't do him good exhausted, and being able to sleep in a real bed again was divine.

She started, not sure what had woken her. She'd fallen asleep reading to him the latest mystery Harry had picked up for her when he'd visited a muggle store that morning. She was so tired that it took her a bit to focus and to realize that she'd woken because his hand was holding hers not the other way around.

"Severus!"

He groaned softly.

"Oh, don't talk! Sorry," she said, leaning up to look at him. His eyes were on her.

"Where…"

"Grimmauld Place," she said. "Let me use the bathroom, get you some water, and then I'll fill you in on the past couple of weeks."

"Weeks?"

"Yes," she said. She leaned in carefully, kissing him. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me, too," he whispered.

"No more talking!"

He sneered, but it lost some of its effect with the look of affection in his eyes.

She used the loo before grabbing him a glass of ice water. She made her way back to his bedroom. Theirs? It was weird to think of it that way, but she supposed it was.

"You're still awake," she said, observing him holding the book she'd been reading to him before she'd fallen asleep.

He nodded, setting the book aside. She helped him sit up so he could drink the water.

"I've been giving you water with a dropper so your throat and lips would keep moist, but it's not the same so please try not to talk too much yet."

He nodded.

"And the wound," she said, eyes falling to his neck. "It's still healing."

He grimaced, but nodded again.

She filled him in on everything that had happened from their plan to get into Gringotts to the final battle and the past couple of weeks.

"You're here because there are still some Death Eaters out there who escaped and we didn't want you at St. Mungo's."

He bowed his head.

"Kingsley has said he will likely have to bring a charge against you, but there will be no hearing as long as you accept it. He knows that you were spying for Professor Dumbledore and the Order the entire time. Taking the Dark Mark is the charge."

His eyebrow shot up at that.

"That's it," he whispered hoarsely.

"Yes," she said.

"I owe Mr. Potter for that, I take it."

"Harry, Dumbledore's portrait, me, and some of the students who once they were made to realize that you did, in fact, try to keep them from getting harmed by the Carrow's. Professor McGonagall, too. Examples of the detentions you assigned."

"Thank you," he whispered.

"You don't have to thank me for telling the truth, Severus."

"And the wound?"

"It was bad," she admitted.

"If you don't wish to…"

"Stop it," she said quickly. She set her left hand over his. "These marks didn't make me love you, Severus. I love you. Besides, if you think I'm going to let you go so that another witch can latch onto you you're sorely mistaken. And I know there would be plenty coming out of the woodwork hoping to catch your eye. I don't share anymore than you do, Headmaster Snape."

He nodded simply.

"Headmaster?"

"The job is still yours if you want it. That, of course, is up to you."

"And you?"

"Well, that's up to you."

"Me?"

"I would like to complete my education so that I can take my NEWT's properly. Harry and Ron have been offered auror training without their NEWT's and while I was asked too, it's not what I want."

"And I have a say in this how?"

"Well, I wouldn't be able to go to Hogwarts. So, another school. A private tutor I suppose could be an option, but I wouldn't know where to look for one. Well, I do know where I could find one, you, but you'd be rather busy with your Headmaster duties."

He nodded a bit, watching her closely.

"There is a third option," he said.

She met his gaze and he knew she'd thought of it, too, but she'd deliberately not mentioned it.

"You could marry me."

"I'd thought on that, as an option I mean. I, however, don't want to trap you. You've spent almost half of your life serving Voldemort or Dumbledore."

"Marriage to you would not be a life of servitude, Hermione."

"Well, I still…"

"So, is your answer no then?"

"My answer would not be no, but I'd prefer you think about it. You've just woken up from a near-death experience."

"Hermione," he said.

"Please. I know it seems like a logical option, but we would both open ourselves up for criticism and gossip. I'm not sure that's how you would want us to start our life together. I'd prefer you ask again when you've thought about it a little more deeply."

"Alright," he said with a nod.

"Now, let me check your wounds and then you should rest some more."

"Could you assist me?"

"With the bandages? Of course," she said.

He smirked at that. "No, my love, I would like to use the facilities."

"Oh! I've been taking care of that, but of course I'll help you."

She helped him up and led him to the bathroom that connected to the bedroom she'd use if she ever slept in it. She had no desire to, though, but the house obviously knew and was accommodating to their potential needs. There were times she loved magic!

She left the door open slightly in case he needed her, but left him to it. She smiled slightly at the sound he made. Madam Pomfrey showed her charms that put sustenance into the body and removed waste, but she imagined that it probably felt extremely good to physically go to the bathroom.

He opened the door after washing his hands and she helped him into the chair she'd been sitting on so she could tend to his wounds and administer the potions he needed.

"What are you going to do then?" he asked.

"Well, I was going to lay down with you, but if you don't want me to."

He grabbed her by the wrist.

"I want you to, Hermione. I just suggested marriage. I just thought you might have something else to do."

"Alright," she said. "And I don't. Harry and Ron have pretty much left us alone."

"Are they alright with this?"

"As alright as they can be. It's weird. Believe it or not, Ron is actually accepting of it easier than Harry seems to be. I suppose because he was raised with stories of soul marks. Harry, like me, knew nothing about them."

"Makes sense."

She helped him to bed, which he eyed somewhat suspiciously with a slight frown.

"What?"

"Charmed?"

"Oh, yes, I didn't want to risk hurting you."

"You won't. So undo it, please. I'm sure I'm not strong enough yet."

She smiled brightly at that, changing it back to its usual size before helping him into it.

"Do you snore?" she asked as she moved over to the other side of the bed and got in. She drew the covers back on her side this time. She hadn't before now, just using a throw blanket.

"I have no idea," he said, trying not to laugh. "Would that be a deal breaker?"

"Absolutely!" She giggled softly as she slid next to him. "I may have to insist on separate beds."

"That would be a deal breaker," he said.

"Hmm," she said.

"My witch belongs in my bed."

"I've always wondered what the Headmaster's bedroom looks like."

"Hermione," he said cautiously.

"Not with Professor Dumbledore in it!"

"Thank you."

She laughed again, leaning in to kiss him.

"Sleep," she prompted. She checked the time with her wand. "We have a few hours before breakfast yet."

He nodded, kissing the top of her head as she snuggled in against him.

"Oh and Hermione," he whispered.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you," he said.

"I wanted my wizard here."

"He wanted to be here."

"I'm glad," she said. "It's kind of a good thing we'd already accepted the bond."

"Oh?"

"I think I would've been deeply embarrassed to tend to you the past couple of weeks otherwise. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to do it, and I imagine you would not have wanted that either."

"You are probably correct."

"Now sleep," she said, turning a bit so she could slide her arm around him.

Return to Top

Part 22 | Part 24

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com