Chapter Twenty-Two
April 1998

CAN YOU JOIN ME FOR DINNER SUNDAY?

SUNDAY? OH! EASTER. YES, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET AWAY.

GOOD. I THOUGHT AN ACTUAL HOLIDAY MEAL TOGETHER WAS CALLED FOR.

I'D LIKE THAT.

SEE YOU THEN.

They'd set a time and Hermione's heart beat faster at the thought he wanted to spend the holiday with her. She knew he hadn't had anyone to spend holidays with before now, and she was sure Christmas dinner at Hogwarts had been tense at best this year.

The salve he'd given her was working. He'd cautioned her that it would never go away, but it would heal and possibly fade. She could deal with that. When it got down to it, she didn't care about the scar so much. She'd been worried about him. How he'd see it. If he'd be ashamed or upset that she'd gotten caught.


Easter Sunday came and Hermione dressed casually but still nice.

"Where are you going, 'mione?" Ron asked.

"I've got some things I need to get. I thought today would be a good day, no one's going to be looking for me on Easter."

"I can go with," he offered.

"I think she was looking forward to being alone," Luna offered from the other side of the table. Hermione's eyes darted to the strange but ultimately kind girl in surprise.

"Alone? But why? I don't like it." Ron asked.

"Ronald, I think you forget sometimes I'm an only child. So many people gets overwhelming at times, and I miss my parents."

"But you should be with your family then, I mean us. We're your family."

"I know you are, Ron. I'll be back. I just really have some things to get."

"Harry," Ron said.

"She probably needs to get stuff, Ron," Harry said, blushing profusely.

"What?" Ron said.

"You know," Harry said.

"No, it's nothing like that," Hermione said with a shake of her head. "Honestly, Harry, how are you going to marry Ginny and have babies with her if you get flustered at the idea of what a woman's body does that allows them to bear children?"

Ron sputtered as realization dawned on him what Harry meant.

"You've lived with me for months through cramps and everything. I think everyone in this room knows what an adult witch experiences. It's nothing to be shy or embarrassed about."

Silence.

"I'll be back and I will be careful. I promise. The chances of them looking for me by myself are probably pretty low."

"All right," Harry said with a nod.

"Have fun," Luna said with a knowing smile on her face that made Hermione uncomfortable.

"Thank you, Luna."

"I think it's true what they say that Fenrir was destined to break free from the ties that bound him," Luna added. Hermione blushed slightly at the odd comment from her friend. She nodded simply.

Ron and Harry were looking curiously at Luna, too. They'd have no reason to understand why Luna mentioning Fenrir caught Hermione's attention. How did she know that?

How does she know anything?

Hermione apparated into Severus' house. Their house. No matter how often he called it that she couldn't wrap her mind around the fact he considered it theirs. Over the months, in addition to his muggle bank information he'd given her the name of his muggle solicitor who was familiar with the magical world. The solicitor wasn't a squib, but Severus had found him through one. He hadn't wanted any trace of documentation connecting him to her for a Death Eater to find and they'd never think to look for such a connection at a muggle bank or with a muggle solicitor. Death Eaters were exceedingly narrow-minded when it came to such things. She only needed to contact the solicitor if something happened to him, which she severely hoped wouldn't happen.

However, he'd admitted that this home would be hers in that event. He had no one else to leave it to, he'd explained, and it pleased him to provide for her. It was paid for, no one knew where it was so in the event of a Dark Lord victory she'd be safe there until she could come up with a plan.

"It smells delicious," she said, finding him in the kitchen.

"Thank you," he said, offering her a smile and a kiss.

"Thank you for having me."

"Did you have troubles getting away?"

"Not particularly. I think Harry and Ron think I'm off buying feminine products," she shrugged.

"Why?"

"Long story," she said with a scoff. "Harry seems to think the only reason I wouldn't want Ronald to accompany me on an outing is because I'm buying those things wizards would never want to be seen buying or near."

"Ah," he said. "Is that why the knickers surprised you?"

"Yes!"

"I'm not sure I'm to the buying of said products stage yet, however."

She giggled softly, lowering her head as she regarded him. He looked so domestic, complete with a towel over his shoulder and an apron around his waist.

"Can I help?"

"You most certainly cannot, unless you want to help yourself to a glass of wine."

"Why not? I want to!"

"I know you want to, but I also know that you've spent months cooking and cleaning and basically being a mother to Potter and Weasley. Sit, drink a glass of wine, and let me take care of you for a change."

"Alright," she said, getting a glass of wine.

"You're missing your parents today I expect?"

"I am," she nodded simply.

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened to them?"

"I'm sorry?"

He scoffed, glancing at her over his shoulder.

"The Dark Lord was furious when the men he'd sent to take care of them came back with nothing."

"Oh! Really?"

"Yes. I assumed that was your doing and you'd tell me when you're ready, but here we are months later and I still don't know."

"I altered their memories, and sent them away."

"When?"

"In July, before Bill and Fleur's wedding."

He stopped what he was doing then, coming to her and taking her into his arms. Their kissing turned urgent, needy at the realization that she had actually saved her parents' lives. She'd spent months having no idea if what she'd done had been necessary. He'd just given her confirmation that she had done the right thing. Clothes were vanished and she had an extraordinarily special memory of their kitchen floor to store away for future use.

"I'm too old for such activities," he murmured after they'd recovered.

"You initiated it."

"You shouldn't look at me like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you do. With your eyes and your, well, you."

She snorted, cupping his cheek.

"I figured whenever this is all over I can go find them and return their memories."

"I will accompany you."

"Really?"

"Absolutely," he said, kissing her neck. "You are no longer alone, Hermione."

"I know, it's just," she gestured with her hand. "All of this, everything not us, we haven't really gotten any time to be alone other than a few hours here and there."

"I understand, but you are not alone."

"Thank you," she said, kissing the side of his mouth.

"You have changed this house already."

"How?" she asked, nibbling on her lower lip.

"I can assure you that my parents never engaged in such activities on the kitchen floor."

"Such activities?"

He rolled his eyes. "I sometimes wonder how it was that I came to be truthfully," he shrugged.

"Well, our children will see us love each other, Severus, and have no question about where and how they came to be."

He nodded simply.

"Hopefully without my nose," he quipped.

She leaned up to kiss his nose. "I love your nose, Severus."

"You may, most do not and I do not want our children to endure the teasing I had to."

"I understand, however, I think with proper love and encouragement at home it wouldn't be so problematic."

"Maybe," he said, seeming to think on that. "How many are you planning on us having anyway?"

"Oh, you know, a dozen at least."

She giggled at the brief panic that she saw in his eyes.

"I'm teasing, Severus. I think two would be nice, maybe three. Two only because you and I both know what it was like being an only child and I don't think I'd want that for a child of my own, especially if they're anything like me. I often think if I'd had a sibling my childhood wouldn't have been as lonely."

"Yes," he said.

"Why? Does the thought of creating that many children with me bother you?"

"Hardly," he scoffed. "If you'd wanted the twelve I would endeavor to give them to you."

"I don't think twelve children will fit in this house, Severus."

He laughed softly.

"You're right there. The upstairs could probably accommodate three. I have Mum's estate."

"Oh," she said, eyeing him curiously.

"It fell to me since I embraced the wizarding world apparently," he said scornfully with a shrug. The wizarding world to the Prince estate meant the Dark Lord and his beliefs she assumed.

"I see."

"Twelve children could fit there."

"You don't really want twelve children, do you?"

"Now you know how I felt!"

"I'm sorry. I was teasing. I think you know me well enough to know I have no desire to be able to fill a quidditch pitch on both sides."

"I will admit that relieves me to no end, but the trying for twelve could be fun."

"I agree," she admitted.

He stood then, returning their clothes to both of them with the wave of his hand.

"Do you need something to be able to return with?"

"No," she said, gesturing to her bag. "Great thing about this bag, they have no idea what I may have bought a year ago versus today."

He nodded simply, returning to cooking.

"By the way," he said. "There's something in the sitting room for you."

"Oh?" She stood, walking into the other room to find a collection of Easter goodies. "Thank you!"

He was leaning against the doorframe, watching as she picked through the assorted chocolates and sweets he'd gotten her.

"You know I won't eat all of this, right?"

"I am an observant wizard if you recall and am familiar with the things your cohorts like. There's a little bit of something for all three of you as well as Miss Lovegood, and, I expect, whoever else you're currently with. I can't speak for the goblin's tastes I wager."

She closed the distance between them, standing on her tiptoes to kiss him.

"Thank you."

He nodded simply.

"I know you're somewhere safe for now, but I also realized you couldn't go home where you were perhaps used to such things from your parents."

"My parents, being dentists, didn't freely hand out candies. However, you thought of me and the boys, my friends who are essentially the only family I have left anymore. So I thank you."

"You are welcome. And they are not your only family left, Hermione."

"You know what I mean."

She hoped he did, that she hadn't insulted him somehow. She very much looked forward to being and making a family with him, but the past little while it was the three of them and that sort of solidified their bond.

"I understand, yes," he said.

"Our plan is starting to come together."

"I don't want to know about it."

"I know," she said.

He'd explained the need for her not to divulge anything beyond a broad outline of anything they might do while they were hunting the horcruxes. He didn't want to add any more to his mind that absolutely had to be hidden from the Dark Lord. He had enough to ensure he hid as it was and he would not want to jeopardize their mission.


"So are you still in need of books with Mr. Weasley back in the fold and some place to stay?"

He'd served a delicious meal and she was both impressed and flattered. They were now on his couch in front of the fire, taking advantage of what time they had together like this. She had to admit it was nice.

"No," she said. "I mean, I'm still reading."

"Of course you are," he said, kissing the top of her head.

"I do think Harry misses it, though. It was kind of nice."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. We'd talk about things that came up in the books, you know?"

"I understand."

"I do have a request for you, though."

"Oh?"

"Yes, something to look forward to when we have time."

"What's that?"

"I want you to read something to me."

"Why?"

"You really have no idea, do you?"

"About what?"

"The effect your voice has on me."

"Really?"

"Yes," she said.

He nipped at her ear, nuzzling against it. "Hearing that is so pleases me to no end, my witch."

"Hearing you talk pleases me to no end."

He chuckled softly, taking a sip of his wine.

"Can we just stay here?"

"As much as I would love to say yes we've both come too far to do such a thing and if we did we'd both regret it later."

"I know," she sighed.


Eventually, it was time to say good night. They agreed to meet in a few days' time at their running spot near Shell House. She was so glad that he enjoyed doing that with her and suspected he was glad she liked it, too. There was something so freeing about running through the woods in her wolf form. She had to admit the couple of times they'd been together in their animagus forms had been very enjoyable. Their respective dreams after that first time had assured both of them that they'd been alright with it happening. She'd never have sex with anyone but Severus and his hellhound was Severus. There was no difference to her.

Luna was full of smiles for her when she returned and Hermione shook her head slightly. She summoned the bag of Easter treats Severus had given her from the bag and set it on the table.

"Easter candy," she said.

"That's great, 'mione," Ron said.

She chuckled lightly, not surprised he was the first one to check out what she'd brought. Harry regarded her for a moment before gesturing to her to meet him outside.

"Candy, huh?"

"Yes," she said. "It's Easter."

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"I do, Harry," she said.

"Am I going to be mad?"

"I think there's a lot you don't understand and you're inclined to be quick to judge."

He scowled a little at that, but she saw he was thinking about what she said.

"And we need to be focused. No distractions. The plan is coming together. I know Ron and the others don't believe in the muggle God, but I was raised to believe in Him and I can't help but think something or someone powerful played a role in our finding Griphook."

He nodded a bit.

"Alright."

"I love you, Harry," she whispered, kissing his cheek. "I'd never do anything to put you at risk."

"I wasn't implying…"

"I know. I'm just saying."

"I know you wouldn't."

She took a deep sigh, glancing back toward the house behind them.

"I'm going to tell you something, I don't want anyone else to know. Alright?"

"Not even Ron?"

"Ron would be the only exception. Not even Ginny, Harry."

"Okay," he said cautiously.

She sighed again.

"I altered my parents' memories before I left them this past summer. They're currently, I presume anyway, in Australia living life as a married couple with no children."

He stared at her.

"I couldn't have any distractions, you know? I couldn't help you and worry about them. And all those attacks last summer…"

"Oh, Hermione," he said, reaching to hug her. "Why didn't you say something?"

"I didn't want you to feel bad, or like it was your fault."

"Well, it is my fault. I mean, it's You Know Who's fault, but if it weren't for me you wouldn't have had to."

"We're going to win and then I'm going to go to Australia and get my parents back and it'll be fine."

"So Christmas in Forest of Dean was…"

"A nice memory of time with my parents."

"Thank you for sharing it with me."

"Thank you for helping me make some nice new memories there, Harry," she said, brushing her shoulder against his.

"Ron's still jealous, you know."

"How so?"

He shrugged. "We have weeks of experiences just being the two of us. I told him about our books and stuff."

"I'm sure he thinks you're mental for wanting to be read to."

"I think he's kind of envious. I mean, I know the stories were fiction, but I enjoyed talking to you about things, and thinking about what I would do."

"Me, too," she said.

"So, just be nice to him."

"I always am! I forgave him, didn't I?"

"You did, but I think he still has feelings for you."

"I don't…"

“I know," he said, holding up his hand. "We've already talked about this, Hermione. You and I both know he's not the guy for you. I think he knows it, too, deep down. He just hasn't put all the pieces together yet."

"I know."

They were both quiet for a moment, thinking their own thoughts.

"We'll be fine, Harry. We're family. The three of us," Hermione said finally.

"We are," he nodded.

Eventually, Ron came out to join them. He handed Harry a couple pieces of the candy that Ron knew the other boy liked.

"Good choice," Harry said.

"Happy Easter," Hermione said.

"I love Bill, but next year I want Easter dinner with Mom with no insane egomaniacs chasing us."

They all laughed at that.

Return to Top

Part 21 | Part 23

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com