Chapter Fifteen
September 1997

They were exhausted.

"Hermione," Ron protested.

"Ronald, this is our home for now. All three of us. I am not your wife nor your mother. I expect you to do something to help. That means helping me set the wards and one of us has to take the first watch."

"Alright," he mumbled.

They'd barely gotten out of Grimmauld Place. She knew they were all still coming down from actually getting away alive and with Salazar Slytherin's locket in their possession.

"I'll take the first shift," Harry offered. "You two get some rest."

"Thanks, Mate," Ron said.

"Are you sure, Harry?"

"Yes," he said, looking serious.

Ron and Harry had bunk beds, she had a bed of her own. She reached into her bag, summoning the notebook knowing just like a month ago there were probably several messages waiting for her. And sure enough there were.

WE HAVE ONE, DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT FROM HERE BUT WE HAVE IT AND ARE SAFE.

YOU BROUGHT YAXLEY WITH YOU!

NOT INTENTIONALLY!

ARE YOU ALL ALRIGHT?

WE ARE. TIRED, BICKERING A BIT BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESN'T WANT TO DO HIS FAIR SHARE.

I CAN'T IMAGINE WHO THAT WOULD BE.

YES YOU CAN.

YOU'RE RIGHT, I CAN.

Silence. She didn't know what more to say.

GET SOME REST AND BE CAREFUL.

YOU, TOO.

More silence.

MARE?

YES, BASIL?

I LOVE YOU.

Silence. Oh God, had she said something wrong? Her heart was hammering in her chest, no longer from the exhilaration from the day's events but from fear that those words were not at all what he wanted to hear. Or read. She'd had to say them, though. They'd come close to not getting out safely today. She wasn't going to hold it in any longer. They were at war and getting away as they had today made her realize that tomorrow wasn't promised. A minute from now wasn't promised.

AND I YOU, MY SWEET.

Relief shot through her. She breathed a sigh.

"What's your problem?" Ron said, coming out of the bathroom finally.

"Nothing," she said.

"I thought you were tired. Why are you studying?"

She rolled her eyes. "Believe it or not, Ronald, some people can't just go to sleep immediately."

"Whatever you say."

"We'll figure out how to get rid of the locket, Ron," she said softly.

"I know, ‘Mione. If anyone can figure it out, it's you."

"Thank you," she said.

"Good night," he said, sliding into his bed.

Something told her it was going to be a long little while with the three of them sharing such cramped quarters. Certainly the magical tent offered more space than a muggle tent, but it wasn't Grimmauld Place.

She stood to get ready for bed, going out to find Harry afterward. She sat next to him.

"He'll be fine," Harry whispered.

"I know," she said, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"I'm glad his family is okay."

"Me, too," he said. "They're the only family I have left anymore."

"You have me, Harry," she said softly.

"I know," he said, draping his arm around her. "Why aren't you in bed?"

"I'm going. I just came out to make sure you don't need anything before I do."

"Nope. The tent was a good idea."

"I know," she said. "I'm glad we got to it in all the chaos."

"Me, too," he said. "And you," he added.

"What?"

"You were prepared, as if you knew."

She shrugged. She couldn't tell him how she knew. "That's my job, Harry, as your friend, to be sure that you're as safe as I can make you so that we'll win."

"I bet you're missing classes about now."

She laughed softly. "You wouldn't be wrong."

"I admit, I am, too," he said.

He grew quiet after that. They sat like that for a little while longer before she got up to head into the tent and go to sleep.


"Mushrooms and berries again," Ron said two weeks later.

"You want to go find food that's edible, Ronald, without poisoning us? Be my guest. It's not as easy as you may think, especially moving around as we've been doing."

"No, I'd just, gods would I kill for Mom's cooking."

"I think we all would, but this is what we get today," she said. Neither of them seemed to notice she always gave them more than she gave herself. Harry would need his strength, and she knew Ronald was used to eating essentially a feast by himself.

He stormed off, taking his bowl with him outside.

"I don't know why it seems to be affecting him worse than the two of us," Harry said.

"I don't know either," she said. "I wish we didn't have to wear it at all."

"I know. I get it, and I know he does, too, deep down. We can't afford to lose it, it's too important."

He set his hand over hers, squeezing it lightly. Harry at least seemed to understand she was trying and that it wasn't easy to go find food for three meals a day to feed two teenage boys. It was near impossible because she knew boys could eat and eat.

"Oh, look at you two."

"Ron," Harry said cautiously, though she noticed that he drew his hand away from hers quickly.

"What? You don't need to hide it. I see how you two keep looking at each other and talking quietly."

"You know I don't think of Hermione like that," Harry said. "She's my sister."

"Well, if not you, then who?"

"What?" Hermione said.

"You were practically throwing yourself at me last year, and now I can't get you to pay attention to me."

"I'm sorry I've moved on, Ronald. I'm not going to waste my time on someone who doesn't even see me. I do pay attention to you. Who cooks for you? Who is going to take your clothes to the muggle laundromat to ensure they are clean later?"

"Great. I got the housewife without the good stuff. I guess I'm supposed to be happy that you're giving it to my best friend instead."

"Don't be crude, Ronald Weasley," Hermione said.

"Give me the locket," Harry said, calmly extending his hand in Ron's direction.

"No, it's fine." Ron spat.

It clearly wasn't fine.

"Ron," he said. "You've had it long enough. It's my turn. Now. I want the locket," Harry said through clenched teeth.

"Whatever," he said, taking it off and handing it to Harry.

Harry's eyes met Hermione's from across the table. She shrugged. How were they going to do this? They had no idea how to destroy the damned thing and it really seemed to ensnare Ron with its lies. It would be interesting to study why if he weren't so frightening while wearing it. Did it affect him worse because he was a pureblood?


"Headmaster," Phineas Black called to Severus as he was working on some detention paperwork. He wished the others knew the truth, especially Minerva, so they wouldn't assign detentions just to give him more paperwork. By overseeing the detentions he was helping the students. Trying to anyway. He sighed, not able to deny he was grateful for the distraction.

"The Mud…"

"Mr. Black, we've talked about your use of that word in my presence."

"Yes, whatever you say, Headmaster. Miss Granger then and her friends they seem to be having a bit of a row."

He frowned. "You're interrupting me over an argument?"

"She doesn't leave whatever contraption she has my portrait in open very often for me to fully hear conversations as she just did. I can't help but think maybe there's a reason she did."

She was crafty, Severus could acknowledge that.

"What was it about?"

"The Weasley lad insulted her, rather crudely I might add, and then he and the Potter boy argued about a locket. I don't understand the youth of today."

Severus' lips quivered into the hint of a smile at that.

"Insulted her how?"

"I don't think I should…"

"Phineas," he said sternly.

"He seemed to imply that he was expecting favors from her. That she wasn't complying but was instead granting them to the Potter boy."

Severus' left hand balled into a fist at that thought. The jealous portion of him didn't like hearing anyone thought she was sleeping with Potter, however, the rational portion of him that was thankfully in control at the moment knew it was untrue. To the untrained eye the Trio's relationship might be suspect, but it was clear - now anyway - that she held no regard for the other two wizards beyond brotherly love.

"She, they, are all right?"

"They seem to be. All's quiet now. Whatever she's holding my portrait in is still open, though."

"Anything else?"

"She mentioned something about a muggle laundromat, whatever that is."

"It's a place where muggles wash and dry their clothes."

"Why would she need to do that?"

"I would imagine to clean their clothes, Phineas," he drawled.

Phineas muttered in response to that.

"Report any further developments, please."

"Yes, Headmaster."

Severus' eyes moved from Phineas' portrait to Albus'. The older wizard was pretending to be sleeping. Severus had no doubt the wizard had just heard everything, including Severus' asking if she was okay before the rest of them.

"Albus," he spoke finally. "You still think keeping the sword from them is wise?"

"It is not time yet, Severus. I know what Phineas reported is unsettling, but I have every confidence they can handle themselves until it is time."

"If any of them are hurt as the result of your delay…"

"We both know which of them you're concerned about despite committing yourself to protecting Harry and that she's perfectly capable of defending herself. She didn't survive Antonin Dolohov's curse merely to succumb to a Weasley."

"I suppose you're right."

"Of course I am. Have faith!"

"That's hard to do," he said softly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'm glad that you discovered there is something to live for other than war, Severus."

"You don't know what you're talking about, old man."

"If you say so, Severus."

"I think being dead has caused you to have delusions."

"I think you've finally discovered what love could actually be, Severus, and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it makes you even more powerful. And if I might add, more dangerous."

He grunted in response.

He knew of Dumbledore's belief that love was more powerful than just about anything magic could bring to the table. He was admittedly curious if they accepted their bond what that would bring. She was powerful and intelligent in her own right and with his knowledge of dark spells they'd balance each other well. Somehow he knew with her by his side he'd never be tempted to the dark again other than to protect what was his.

"I see recognition in your face. She can keep you from giving into its call," Albus' portrait said.

"I've fought the urge for many years without her."

"Yes, but if the war is over…"

Severus nodded simply. It was going to be impossible to find every follower of the Dark Lord. Some were supportive without a physical presence just merely agreeing with his way of thinking. Those people, assuming the Order won anyway, would look to a new leader, someone to take over Tom's throne. He didn't think he'd be that stupid again, he was a different wizard than when he'd taken the Dark Mark. There was no telling, though, with Albus gone and his promise to Lily fulfilled what he would be capable of if he drifted. A life without purpose could be dangerous to someone like him with virtually nothing to lose and no hope or anything to keep him grounded and centered.

"You know then?"

"I see the change in you. I know you were tutoring her. Mr. Weasley came to me concerned with how much of her time you were occupying."

Severus snorted at that.

"I assured young Mr. Weasley that you were in fact aiding Miss Granger in recognizing her career path."

"I appreciate the confidence in my intentions."

"I know you'd never sully a student, Severus."

"Indeed."

"She is no longer your student, though, you recognize that fact I'm sure."

Severus was sure despite his being in portrait form the twinkle that was always so evident in Albus' eyes when he was amused was there.

"I do. She is still…"

"Younger? Yes, if she were not a witch and an intelligent one far above her chronological years in maturity that would matter, but what's 19 years when you'll live a hundred or more."

"It's a valid argument."

He nodded simply in acknowledgement and returned his attention to his desk. He pulled out his notebook.

ARE YOU GOING TO DO LAUNDRY TONIGHT?

It took a while to receive a response, but finally the notebook warmed and he couldn't help but smile at that.

YES. THE BOYS WILL HAVE TO MAKE DO WITHOUT ME FOR A WHILE.

She proceeded to give him the location she was planning on visiting and when.

WOULD YOU LIKE COMPANY?

IF IT'S MY MARE, YES.

SEE YOU THEN.

I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER BEEN EXCITED TO WASH BOYS KNICKERS BEFORE.

I'D MUCH PREFER TO THINK ABOUT YOUR KNICKERS.

DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE COLOR, MY MARE?

DO YOU NEED TO EVEN ASK THAT QUESTION?

HAHA. NO, REALLY. IT CAN'T BE BLACK.

DEPENDING ON WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT, I LIKE ANYTHING DARKER IN TONES SO I SUPPOSE EMERALD, NAVY, MAROON IF YOU WANTED TO STRAY FROM THE BLACK-LIKE COLORS.

HMM. OKAY.

THAT'S IT?

WELL, I'M NOT SURE I HAVE ANY IN THOSE COLORS.

ANY?

YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO THINK ABOUT MY KNICKERS.

He gave a soft groan.

AND I THOUGHT IT'D BE FUN TO TELL YOU LATER THAT I'M WEARING SOME THAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COLOR.

YOU COULD LIE.

I'D NEVER LIE TO YOU.

I KNOW. I'M SURE WHATEVER COLOR YOU CHOOSE, IMAGINING YOU IN THEM WILL BE PLEASANT ENOUGH.

PLEASANT ENOUGH?

He chuckled at that.

ACCEPTABLE. IS THAT BETTER, WITCH?

MUCH, WIZARD. I SUPPOSE AT LEAST PLEASANT ENOUGH ISN'T A TROLL.

He chuckled again.

I HAVE TO GO ENSURE THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO EAT FOR DINNER BEFORE I GO. LORD KNOWS THEY CAN'T MAKE IT THEMSELVES. SEE YOU SOON.

The little heart she drew after that warmed his very real heart in a way he never thought possible and was almost embarrassed by it. He made his way to his personal chambers off the Headmaster's office unable to stop himself from wondering just what color knickers she preferred.

He apparated close to the laundromat in question. He wasn't exactly sure where it was, so he got himself close and then transfigured into his hellhound form to get the rest of the way as quickly as possible. It pleased him to no end that she accepted his animagus form. For that matter, she seemed to accept him entirely. If he wasn't as familiar with her as he was he'd question her intellect or sanity. He knew, though, both were just fine.

He stood outside the laundromat watching her for a moment. She looked … much thinner and, much like him, did not have excess weight to spare. He thought back to their exchanged notes earlier. She'd mentioned Potter and Weasley having something to eat not her. He sighed softly, unused to caring about anyone's eating habits. He barely had time to oversee his own calorie intake.

He entered then, unzipping the leather jacket he wore because he remembered she was fond of it. She looked up at the sound of the door opening and gave him a smile that might have knocked him off kilter if he didn't already know he was in love with her. Somehow his desire to have one person believe in him had led to this.

Love.

A love that went both ways.

It was a Saturday night so the laundromat was virtually empty, which was probably the reason she'd chosen this time to come.

"Fancy meeting you here," she said, her eyes sparkling.

"I just happened to be passing by," he drawled.

"Well, it's my lucky night then, isn't it?"

He strode to her then, taking her into his arms and kissing her as thoroughly as was proper in a public place. With the kiss he tried to relay his relief at seeing her in fact alive and well, with no additional scars on her person. Not that he would be bothered by the presence of a new scar, he just didn't want her marred or hurt in any fashion ever again.

"I guess it is," she said breathlessly when he drew away.

"Trust me, Witch, I'm the lucky one."

She nibbled on her lower lip, sticking her tongue out just a bit, as she eyed him in a fashion he'd seen on witches and wizards over the years but never aimed at him. Desire and affection. For him.

"You haven't started yet?"

"No," she said.

"I have a better idea."

Maybe not a safer idea.

"Oh?"

"My home."

"Is it safe?"

"As I've said, no one still living knows where it actually is."

"Not even Mr. Malfoy."

"Not even."

"Well then," she said. "I guess I will have to save my money for another time."

"I told you that you can use my home for anything you need. That includes the appliances."

"I didn't think…"

"I understand, my sweet. Meet you there?"

"Gladly," she said, glancing around to make sure they were alone before placing the laundry bags she had back into her extended bag.

He showed her where the washer and dryer were, leaving her to get that started while he went to the kitchen to see what he could rustle up for them to eat. He felt the overwhelming urge to take care of her. The need to protect had been there for a while, but to fuss over her?

That was new.

"What are you doing in here?"

"I thought you might like something to eat," he said.

"Something other than berries and mushrooms sounds great," she said.

"Is that all you've been eating?"

"No, I've caught some fish and a pheasant. Oh, and a rabbit one night," she said, shuddering visibly. "I'll never look at Thumper the same way again."

"Who?"

"A muggle movie. Bambi?"

"Not familiar with it. Thumper I take it is a rabbit that you were fond of?"

"Well, yeah, he was cute."

He chuckled softly, sliding his arms around her to brush a kiss over her forehead.

"If I could trade places with you so that I knew you were safely tucked away in Hogwarts with food you were accustomed to eating at your disposal I would do it."

"I know. You have your own stuff to do in this."

"Spoken like the brave Gryffindor you are."

"Slytherin's aren't known for theirs," she said,

"I feel very un-Slytherin-like when it comes to you, my sweet."

"I'm glad to know that," she said, reaching up to kiss him.

"I find it more than Acceptable."

She smirked at him, kissing the side of his mouth before moving to his jaw and his ear. She kissed him there then, latching onto his earlobe with her teeth.

"I don't want food," she whispered, finding his neck with her mouth and tongue.

"Oh?"

Why did such a simple statement send a jolt right through him making him very aware that his libido fully knew his witch was in very close proximity? And seemingly as aware of him as he was of her.

She ran her hands up along his arms, to his shoulders before encircling his neck.

"How did you know I was doing laundry?"

He chuckled.

"You left your bag open," he said, gesturing to the beaded bag in question currently on the table. "Phineas heard you."

"Oh!"

"I have instructed him to report to me as he is able on your well being."

"That's so sweet."

"I am not sweet!"

She laughed. "As sweet as sugar."

"I'm beginning to question the whole brightest witch of your age thing," he said good naturedly.

"Oh, but I so obviously am exactly that."

"He heard you and Mr. Weasley arguing. Are things okay?"

She shrugged. "It's why I don't want food," she said.

"I'm sorry? What does Mr. Weasley have to do with your desire for food or not?"

She took hold of his left hand with hers and pressed their palms together.

"I want to accept our soul bond."

"Hermione," he whispered.

"No, listen to me. I've had time to think of this while I sit in the dark on my watch shift. You said you don't want to burden me, but what if not accepting it actually weakens us and puts more of a burden on you. I know my well-being, worrying about me, distracts you. That could be costly. One wrong memory or vision getting to the wrong person could be deadly."

"How so?"

"You've said our magic merges."

"From what I understand. I know nothing for certain. It could do nothing."

"Despite what the guy we're at war with thinks, you are now the most powerful wizard in England if not period with Dumbledore gone."

"I think that's…"

"Don't be shy or modest. There's a reason he wants you as his right hand man despite others doubting your loyalty and there was a reason Professor Dumbledore chose you as his spy. He didn't have to do that. You do realize that, right? He could have accepted your information and sent you on your merry way."

He nodded. These thoughts had occurred to him over the years, not in conjunction with how powerful of a wizard he might be.

"You're right," he stated simply. "On that point anyway."

"So if our magic bonds, you absolutely won't weaken yourself but could possibly strengthen yourself."

"Okay."

"And me," she said. "We could have died at the Ministry. We got the locket, but we were very close to failing and the locket landing back with He Who Must Not Be Named. He'd know then someone knows about the horcruxes. Never mind if Harry and Ron hadn't found me at Bill and Fleur's wedding I don't know if we would have all gotten away. What if that added bonus of our bond is what I need?"

"You do understand what that entails?"

"I understand."

"And what if I die, Hermione? Eventually, he will figure out I'm not on his side. Whether it's before an outright battle ensues or during I don't know. For that matter he may just decide one day I'm no longer useful and end me there and then with no one but Nagini as a witness. I am trying to avoid such an end, truly I am but I'm not omnipotent."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know what accepting our soul bond would do to you in the event I'm gone. I don't know if you'd be able to move on with another wizard. Unaccepted I know you could and be happy."

"So I wouldn't," she said simply.

"You have a long life ahead of you."

"Really! How could I settle for someone less than my soulmate now that I know you exist? I never really saw myself having a traditional life anyway, Severus."

"You don't want children?"

She shrugged, looking at him intently. "I want your children," she said simply. "There's no one else I could envision creating a life with."

He closed his eyes, letting her words settle into his soul. She wanted him. She wanted a life with him. She wanted to bear him children, and she'd said children not a child. She wanted him as a witch wants a wizard.

"Not now, though," he said softly.

She smirked at that, giving him a low laugh.

"Of course not now. We're a little busy and should probably be married first according to the magical world anyway. There are spells from my understanding."

"You're not on the potion?"

"What need would I have of it? I told you I haven't. Did you think I was lying?"

"No, but I just assumed you would be on it as a precaution."

"In case I accidentally decided to have sex with someone in a drunken stupor or in one of the alcoves?"

"Well, okay, you wouldn't do that," he admitted. "Most witches are, at least from what Madam Pomfrey says."

"I did in July see my doctor and started taking the muggle birth control pill. It was not about sex, though, it was to try to regulate my body's cycle. So that it'd be more consistent. I didn't want to be on the run, thinking I wouldn't get my period for a week and have it start in a day instead and not have what I needed."

"I'll pretend I understand what all that means, but I trust it's working as you hoped?" As Head of Slytherin House of course he was aware of menstruation and all that went with it, but he admittedly learned the bare minimum to get him through conversations with the witches. Those conversations always made him, and the witches in question, very uncomfortable. He imagined over the years many of his Slytherins went to Poppy in lieu of him because he knew he'd talked to fewer than he should have.

"So far, yes," she said.

"I'm glad."

"You did say you wanted to think about my knickers."

He was blushing now, he knew it, and she chuckled lightly. She kissed him, reaching behind her with both hands. He knew this only because he missed the warmth of her palm against his. She stepped away from him and he realized that she'd let her skirt fall to the floor.

His eyes fell to the knickers in question. He couldn't help it. He was just a man after all, wizard or no. His woman had just partially disrobed in front of him. Of course he was going to look.

"Those are not very dark," he said, reaching to touch the waistband of the very pink lacy knickers.

"I didn't have any that met your stringent preferences so I went with my favorite color."

"Pink is your favorite color, Miss Granger? Really? How girly of you."

"For underthings, yes," she said.

"Well, I can say I definitely see the appeal," he whispered.

"I should," she whispered.

"Yes?"

"I guess I didn't think this through all the way, but I should check the washer," she said.

"You can do whatever you want if you walk around my house like that," he quipped.

"Oh really?"

"I would find it Outstanding."

She smiled brightly.

"Um, I don't really want to do more than check on the laundry, though. So, meet you upstairs? Unless you want me to put my skirt back on."

"I will be waiting, Witch," he said. How could she think he'd want her to do that? She obviously thought he was an infinitely stronger wizard than he was.

She reached up and kissed him, letting a hand slide along his chest lower to cup between his legs. He groaned softly, pushing into her hand instinctively. And then she left him. He knew she wasn't going far but he still felt a little bereft. He'd been groped before, but he'd never welcomed or wanted it. Bellatrix liked to make fun of his supposed impotency in front of others, having no idea he'd long ago taken to downing a potion to create that effect as to prevent his person being abused in a drugged or otherwise incapacitated state. He made his way upstairs to his room, looking at it through a guest's eyes. A witch's eyes. A lover's eyes. Something he had not had to do ever in his life. He'd shown her the room before, obviously, but tonight was different.

Gods, what was she thinking willingly tying herself to a man who lived in such squallor? Oh, it wasn't infected with termites or anything, but his bed was the same one he'd bought once he'd taken over the house. He'd slept in it so rarely over the years that the need to replace it hadn't come up. There were no pictures on the walls, no clutter on the dresser, or anything indicating anything personal. Even before he'd removed all the identifying belongings and put them downstairs.

She can change that.

And he knew she could. He wasn't sure, assuming he survived, he'd want to make this their home but he knew she could indeed change it.

That was what witches did after all.

He had no idea what to do from here. She seemed sincere in wanting to accept their soul bond and to do so tonight. He didn't know what one party who left the room they'd basically propositioned him in to work on laundry expecting to join him in the bedroom afterward would assume he'd have done before her return.

He slid his boots off and took a seat on the bed, figuring he'd take his cue from his witch lest she have a change of heart.

Return to Top

Part 14 | Part 16

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com