Chapter Fourteen
August 1997

God, she hated this place. She was grateful they had somewhere safe to stay while they collected themselves, but she felt dirty being here. As if the darkness of the Blacks would seep into her.

She got to her room late, or early depending on how one looked at it, and found six notes from Severus in the notebook. She could practically feel his impatient attitude coming through the page with the last couple.

WE ARE ALL SAFE, I AM UNHARMED. I WASN'T IN A POSITION TO CHECK-IN UNTIL NOW. I'M SORRY TO HAVE WORRIED YOU.

I AM GLAD TO HEAR IT. THANK YOU.

THANK YOU FOR WORRYING ABOUT ME.

UNTIL THE LAST BREATH IS TAKEN FROM MY BODY.

DON'T TALK LIKE THAT. I HOPE IT'S A VERY LONG TIME BEFORE THAT HAPPENS.

AS DO I. SURPRISINGLY.

She smiled brightly at that. He wasn't content to just roll over and die anymore. That thrilled her to no end. She stared at her left ring finger, wondering if their soul bond even unaccepted played a role in that.

WERE YOU ABLE TO COLLECT THE BOOKS WE'VE TALKED ABOUT?

I AM STILL WORKING ON IT.

He'd given her a list of books that might be in the Black library that could be useful, assuming at some point their travels would take them there. He'd told her in no uncertain terms was she to try to touch other titles she thought might go with the ones he'd given her. Some books bite (or worse) muggleborns he'd informed, especially those housed in the House of Black's personal library. Even now she shuddered at the very thought of a book harming someone. She'd go through the library tomorrow. Right now, what she needed was a bath.

And sleep.

I AM BEYOND TIRED. GOING TO BATHE AND THEN REST. GOOD NIGHT.

IT'S TIME TO GET UP FOR SOME OF US.

WELL, TELL YOUR CRONIES TO LEAVE US ALONE AND I'D BE SLEEPING ALREADY.

I'LL GET RIGHT ON THAT. SLEEP WELL, MY SWEET.

UNLESS YOU NEED HELP.

She gasped softly at that. It was the most forward thing he'd said.

NOT TONIGHT.

PITY. SOME OTHER TIME THEN.

YES.

She chewed on her lower lip as she sent the last reply. What exactly was she saying yes to? She wasn't sure. She'd almost wonder if it was really him writing except she knew it was.

The next night she was in the library eating supper when the notebook warmed. She had no idea if anyone else would notice the temperature difference or if it was set to only be recognized by them. She'd never asked anyone, not wanting to draw attention to it over her other notebooks. It was clever magic regardless. She'd have to remember to ask him to show her how it was done. Not that she'd ever have need for this sort of thing again.

She hoped not anyway.

MEET FOR A RUN?

CAN'T LEAVE.

IF I WERE TO AID YOU IN GETTING OUT?

OF COURSE.

IF MY PRESUMPTION OF WHERE YOU ARE IS CORRECT, THERE IS A DOOR IN THE BASEMENT THAT LEADS TO A STORAGE ROOM. IN THE ROOM THERE IS A RUG, ROLL IT FROM THE WALL TO YOUR LEFT UPON ENTERING THE ROOM. BENEATH IS A TRAP DOOR. YOU CAN APPARATE FROM THE SMALL ROOM THERE. BE SURE TO TAKE IN YOUR SURROUNDINGS WELL SO THAT YOU CAN RETURN WITHOUT ISSUE.

THE NAME OF YOUR BAT?

MARE.

TIME?

IS NOW TOO SOON?

She smirked a little at that, glad that he could express his anxiousness to see her. She knew he'd never say it in person. She wanted to see him, too.

I DON'T THINK THAT'S POSSIBLE.

MIDNIGHT?

She glanced at the clock.

YES.

MEET AT YOUR CHILDHOOD PARK WE'VE MET AT BEFORE.

SEE YOU THEN.

"Where you going, ‘mione?" Ron asked.

"I'm going to take a bath and then down to work on some potions."

"More potions?"

She sighed heavily. "Yes, Ron, more potions."

"She's trying to be prepared," Harry offered, trying to be helpful. Harry at least seemed to understand that she truly was doing that.

They were used to her working downstairs most of the night and sleeping until after noon so she was counting on them not disturbing her down there. She hoped anyway. If one of them came down and she was gone, she wasn't sure what she'd do. Claim she snuck up to bed early?

For the first time in her life she dressed for someone else.

Even the Yule Ball had been primarily for her. Sure, she wanted to look nice for Viktor, but ultimately she'd wanted to look nice for herself.

And to prove to Ron and Harry that she wasn't just one of the guys.

She was grateful for the friendship she and Viktor had formed that year. She had no doubt if she reciprocated his interest he'd be inclined to try, but she didn't and he accepted being her friend.

When he'd brought the books to her at Christmastime he knew they were for her, that she had a soul mark. He'd known because there was no reason she'd need to research something that most dismissed as being no more reliable than a myth or fairy tale. Oh, she'd research it for someone else, but to request the darker books she knew he had access to was something he knew she wouldn't have done for such a thing for anyone but herself. Their friendship had changed since then, almost as if he accepted that he was never going to be that wizard for her.

So, at almost eighteen (plus some with the use of the time turner in her third year) she was for the first time looking in a mirror, wondering what someone else would see and feel about her appearance. It was an odd feeling. Invigorating and nerve wrecking, but as she adjusted the straps of the top she wore she realized that she liked it. It was warm enough she could wear it with a hoodie she had that went well with the long skirt she was going to change into downstairs. She wondered who knew about the area beneath the basement one could apparate from. How did Severus know about it if no one remaining alive did?

She made her way downstairs a while before she was going to leave, got some potions brewing that she would be enough along in the process for her to put them in stasis when she left. She changed into the skirt before making her way to the storage room he'd mentioned. She'd been in here before. It was insulated so that potions ingredients wouldn't get contaminated or affected by the house's magic. She'd never thought that it might mean there was a point to apparate from in here. She found the trap door, descended the six rickety wooden steps that were there. It was a small storage area. She shuddered to think what people like the Black's would want to keep hidden in a room like this.

Drawing her wand out, she closed her eyes after taking in her surroundings carefully for later, focusing on the park she and Severus had met at a couple of times when she was younger. He was waiting at what she now thought of as their bench. As a child and her early years of Hogwarts she'd thought of it as her bench, but he'd sat and talked with her a few times never questioning or judging why she was sitting there when other kids were busy playing.

They exchanged their bat names once she joined him on the bench.

"You're hurt," she said, cupping his cheek with her hand when she saw the cuts and bruising on his face.

"I've dealt with worse."

"I know you have," she said. She'd seen worse than this, and knew even the worse she'd seen wasn't his perception of worse. "What happened?"

"Between missing Potter the night you moved him and at the Burrow, he's become rather unhinged."

"More than usual, you mean?"

"Quite," he murmured. His eyes took her in, assessing, piercing, and then appreciating. "You look nice."

She smiled, glad she had put forth the effort. "Thank you."

"Is that for me?"

She shrugged. "It is," she admitted. Was she supposed to admit that? She wasn't sure.

"Then it is I who should be thanking you."

"You're welcome."

"I can truthfully say that I've never had a witch dress or ready herself with me in mind."

"Really?"

He scoffed at that. "Who in their right mind would want to?"

"Are you insinuating that I'm not in my right mind?"

"No," he said, sounding cautious as if he realized too late what he'd said.

She ran her fingers along his face, touching him. Her thumb grazed the length of his nose. She knew he was insecure about his looks, most especially his nose. He'd mentioned thinking himself ugly more than once to her over the months.

"I think you're very distinguished looking, Severus Snape."

"Well, you are the brightest witch of this age."

"Evidently, that's what it took to appreciate you."

"Evidently."

They were quiet for a while, looking at one another as if they each wanted to store the other in their memory so they could call upon it at any time during this separation.

"Change in plan, if you trust me," he said after a while.

"You know I do," she said without hesitation.

"I'm going to ask you to side-along."

"Okay."

They made their way to a discrete point they could apparate from together. She was confused when they arrived. She wasn't sure what she'd been expecting, but a residential neighborhood wasn't it.

He dropped his hand into hers and led her down the street. He allowed her to pass in front of him up the steps to a house. He pressed up against her back, settling his left hand over hers.

"Put your hand on the knob," he whispered against her ear, causing her to shiver. He kissed her ear, causing her to groan softly. She followed his instructions, his hand over hers, and felt the house recognize her. It was quite different than the wards at Hogwarts had been. He pushed open the door then, allowing her to go inside.

"My home," he said, sounding uncertain as he closed the door behind them.

"Oh, Severus," she said, eyeing the living room.

"It's not much. Again, I spend little time here."

"Why are we here?"

"I needed you here physically for the wards. I wanted to show you some things."

"Okay."

It wasn't much, he was right. The furnishings were sparse and had seen better days. The walls weren't dirty but obviously needed some attention, as did the curtains and rugs. The bookcases, though. They were pristine and full to the brim.

"I meant what I said last night, while I still don't hold out much hope of it happening for the first time I actually care whether I survive this war."

"Severus," she said softly.

"He's unstable, becoming unpredictable. I'm taking precautions, I'm sure you heard I am Headmaster of Hogwarts now."

"I had. I meant to congratulate you, but I know this isn't the way you wished to achieve such a role."

"You are right. I have to do my part, though, and from the inside I can hopefully keep the students and staff safe. As well, being at Hogwarts frees me from being under his constant observation and I do not get summoned as much as others."

"I know you will keep everyone safe, Severus."

"I'll leave a key for you on the bottom of the smallest pewter cauldron in my personal lab. It will lead to this room," he said, gesturing to the door on the other side of his lab in the basement. "I will be locking it after we leave in the event I am unable to return."

"Why?"

"Everything you need to know will be in that room. I've named you as my sole beneficiary and executor of my meager estate."

"Severus, you can't…"

"Again, I'm trying to plan, Hermione. I've left you instructions. I'm not going to just roll over and die, I swear to you, however, I have to prepare. I think we will win, I think you, Potter, and Weasley will be successful in your quest. I have to believe you will. I've thought of using my time turner to go back in time and find them myself, but I'm afraid I'd alter too many things. I have to let this play out."

"I understand," she said.

And she did. It was a risk. Even a small thing like this moment, would they even be here like this if she hadn't been hurt last year? She doubted it.

"I also have a muggle bank account. My parents lived as muggles and twenty years of life as a spy. I long ago wanted to be prepared for anything. I've added your name to that account as well so you can withdraw money from it. It's not substantial, but if you need money it's at your disposal. There is a safety deposit box at the bank, too, with documentation. If we lose and you survive, take the documentation meant for you but leave mine. I may be in a position where I have to hide longer than you, but if we lose and I survive I will find you under that name. There is also documentation for Mr. Potter. I did not include Weasley, only because he has family. You and Potter have none." He handed her a slip of paper that had the bank and account information on it. "The key for the box will be in here, too. If you have need of it, the documents, please return it so that I may access the box and my documents. In the box give me a hint as to where you and Potter are going."

"Thank you," she said, knowing that wasn't nearly an adequate response to what he was doing for her. To ensure she was okay in the event something happened to him and they lost. She had some money stashed away in an account that she'd taken from her parents. She'd felt horrible doing it, as if she was stealing from them, but she'd had to do it. She knew they'd understand. If they'd remembered her that was. She was trying right now not to dip into those funds. They were for the ultimate emergency and until the war was over, or their hunt had gone on longer than a few months, she had to believe the ultimate emergency hadn't arrived yet.

"However, if I die and he wins, take the time turner and go back, find them and destroy them. Damn the consequences. He must be destroyed. It is now in that room as well as I no longer have time for trips to the past."

"I know," she agreed.

"And when you find me, because I know you'll be unable to resist just as I could not resist visiting you, tell me that you know that Firenze told me that I looked like Fenrir the first time he saw me in my animagus form."

"You do!"

She hadn't thought of it before, but he did indeed look like the mighty Norse wolf, child of Loki.

He chuckled.

"And then set your hand against mine. I'll know. The marks cannot lie."

"All right," she said.

"No one alive knows where my home is, so you could apparate within if you were to have need without fear of being caught or discovered, but if you're doing it because you're in danger do a few jumps before coming here. And try not to bring your cohorts here. I like no one but you knowing about its location, but if it's an absolute emergency and a last resort."

"I understand," she whispered, wrapping her arms around his waist and resting her head against his chest. She heard the beating of his heart. "I don't like you talking so morbidly."

His hands went to her hair, running through it. He kissed the top of her head. "You are mine, Hermione, you are all that I have other than this home and a few things at Hogwarts. Certainly nothing of consequence or import. Of course it is yours, whether you need somewhere safe because of the war's outcome or merely if you want to make it your home indefinitely."

"With you?"

Both drew away from one another, looking into their eyes. He regarded her closely through partially hooded eyes.

"We can decide if that is an option in the future."

"It will be," she said, determined that it would be so.

"Nothing in this room can hurt you," he said. "However, do not bring anyone else in here with you."

She scoffed softly as if she would allow anyone into his private room. "Understood."

He led her out of the small room off his lab, locked it, and showed her the key so she'd recognize it if she had to find it again.

"There is nothing in the home that identifies this place as belonging to me. No pictures or belongings identifiable to me. I put everything that was such in the room. That way if you do have to bring them with you here you do not have to tell them where they are, or whose hospitality they are enjoying. I saw your note in my lab by the way," he said. "You do not need to pay me for ingredients used."

"Well, I…"

"Enough."

"Yes," she said simply.

"And if you have need of anything here, use it. Just leave me a list of what you've taken so that I'm aware. Again, I don't anticipate being able to spend as much time here as I could as a professor."

"I suppose not."

"The Dark Lord is a more difficult boss than Albus ever was."

She grimaced at that, but followed him upstairs to the hidden stairway, and the second floor. His room at least looked lived in, kept up, a little more modern than the rest of the house. She blushed deeply seeing his bed and he chuckled a bit at that.

"I'm not trying to be presumptuous, just being thorough in my tour."

"I know, I just…" she shrugged.

"What?"

"The last time we kissed was on the ground, I was wondering what it would feel like on a bed."

"As have I," he admitted.

"Really?"

"Yes," he said simply.

"Are you feeling well?"

"What kind of question is that?"

She laughed softly, kissing his chin. "You admitted to thinking about me in a bed with you. I didn't think you were capable."

"Oh, trust me, Hermione, I'm very capable. Not wanting to force you into a soul bond when I may end up dead in a short amount of time does not mean I haven't contemplated what exactly I'm denying myself of."

"You think I'm something you're denying yourself of?"

"Another time and place," he shrugged. "You show up tonight, though, looking like that and yes."

"I've never done it before."

He coughed then, looking very scared, and she realized what she said could imply.

"I mean, well, I didn't mean that. I mean, I haven't that either," she added quickly. "I just, oh God, I meant this," she said, gesturing to her clothes, hair, and makeup.

"Well, I'm flattered immensely," he said.

She reached up on her tiptoes and kissed the side of his mouth. There was a cut there.

"Do you need some attention?"

"I'd love some, but I really had hoped to run tonight. Are you still game?"

"Absolutely," she said, excited at the thought. Now that he'd mentioned looking like Fenrir she wanted to get a look at him again. He seemed to know exactly what she was thinking, too, as he smirked at her.

"Shall we then, Miss Granger," he said, offering her his hand before giving her a kiss.

"Keep doing that and I may say no."

"Not tonight," he whispered.

"You like it, don't you?"

"Yes," he said, "especially having someone to run with."

"It is better," she agreed. "I never saw the point of transfiguring when it was just me."

He side-apparated her to an area that he knew well, which posed little risk of being seen. They both transfigured almost immediately. She let him go first, though, wanting to take him in again.

"I can definitely see the Fenrir reference now," she whispered, chucking his ears. He yipped before licking her hand. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Let me admire you. It's not every day a witch has her own hellhound you know."

He gave a low growl and she transfigured into the wolf. He licked her ear as she butted her head against the side of his face. She gave a soft bark at the sound of the rumbling coming from his chest. Even in these forms he seemed aware of her. She liked that. That was the last conscious thought she had before they were off to frolic in the woods.

As usual, they wound up curled up around each other, their tails thumping happily against the ground as they panted and licked one another affectionately. She sighed happily, the warmth of him surrounding her.

He held her close against him when they transfigured back. She wiggled a bit against him and he groaned softly against her ear.

"Now it's my turn to warn you against continuing to do that."

She giggled softly, reaching for his hand resting at her hip. She brought it to her mouth, kissing his palm before the pad of each finger.

"We should both be getting back," he whispered.

"I know," she said, darting her tongue over a fingertip.

"Continuing to do that could make me throw all of our careful planning out the window."

"Oh really?"

"Cheeky, but I'll answer you, not quite."

"Mm, will you tell me if the answer ever switches to a firm yes?"

"You will be the first to know."

He gathered her in his arms, shifting them so she was on top of him. She dropped her hands to the ground on either side of his head.

"I will hold you to that," she quipped.

She reached for his left hand with hers, wanting the added warmth that came with their soul marks being so close to one another.

"How did you know about the apparition point?"

"From the first war."

"Oh," she said. That made sense.

"I never got along with Sirius, as you are aware, but he had other relatives who were loyal to the Dark Lord."

"Right," she said. She was aware of some of the Black family's history.

"And yet, they wanted that out. So, not all of them were as loyal as they led on I think."

"Oh!"

"I don't really know. It was shown to me once. I'd forgotten about it, truthfully, until you mentioned being unable to leave. Please be careful."

"You, too," she said, leaning down to kiss him. This one lasted a bit, neither seeming to want to actually leave.

"What did I take you away from?" he asked when they broke the kiss to catch their breath.

"Potions," she said with a shrug.

He chuckled. "I wish I could help."

"I wish you could, too."

He ran his fingers through her hair, fanning it out so it fell over her shoulders and grazed him.

"It baffles me how wolf-you can look so kempt."

"You're hilarious."

"I know, right?"

She brought his left hand to her mouth, kissing his mark. She gasped softly at the jolt that shot through her at the contact.

"Do they react like this only because we haven't accepted it?"

He shrugged, running his finger over her lips. "I'm woefully uneducated about this matter and it's not as if there's anyone to ask."

"It's like when you lick a battery and get that little shock."

"I wouldn't know."

"Surely you've done that."

"Never," he drawled.

"Yeah, right."

She kissed him again, lingering for a moment before moving off of him and standing.

"Can you picture the room?"

"Yes," she said.

"Good. We'll run again soon."

"I look forward to it."

"Good night, my sweet."

"Good night," she whispered as he grazed her lips with his.

Return to Top

Part 13 | Part 15

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com