Chapter Eleven
June 1997

"What is wrong with you this evening, Miss Granger?" he asked.

"I don't know," she said. She wasn't convincing she knew.

"Hermione," he drawled.

They'd fallen into a nice routine since Christmas break. It wasn't just the occlumency they worked on. He helped her become more familiar with healing as the need arose frequently after he was summoned. She wasn't sure why Professor Dumbledore didn't ever think to check on his potions professor, but whenever she knew he'd been summoned she waited for his return. Sometimes he didn't return until very early the following morning. Only once or twice did he return reeking of perfume as he had in the fall. It bothered her less now than it had then for some reason. (Not that it didn't still bother her.)

"I'm just scared."

"Of what?"

She shrugged.

"I don't know, which is why I said I don't know earlier. I really don't. It's just a feeling I have that something is going to go very wrong."

He frowned, steepling his fingers under his chin as he regarded her.

"Is that from you? Am I feeling something you're feeling?"

"You may be."

"Does that happen to you?"

"To some degree. It's how I'm aware you're not your usual self tonight."

"Oh," she mumbled.

"We can take the night off."

"No!"

He'd been taking her into the Forbidden Forest the past week or two, helping her identify edible nuts, mushrooms, and berries as well as how to hunt and fish and prepare that which she hunted. They'd apparated a few times to various points outside of Hogwarts, too, so that she was familiar with things available outside of school. He was preparing her for something awful, she knew it. He hadn't said anything to her and she doubted he would, but she took his offered tutoring and committed every lesson to memory, she expected he knew she would.

She trusted him, though. He'd been brutally honest with her about everything except what Dumbledore asked of him. He was amazingly loyal to a man who didn't seem to care much about his spy.

"All right," he said. "You've been working on your list?"

"Yes," she said.

One of the things he'd asked her to compile was a list of things she'd need if she needed to go on the run. The run from what, she wasn't sure, but he was adamant she be prepared. Thus the lessons in healing, defensive magic above what he could teach her in his DADA class, and wilderness survival. It was a good thing she wasn't squeamish.

He'd helped her perfect an undetectable extension charm and find the bag that would be easy to grab and go if it came to that.

"Shall we then?"

"Yes," she said, reaching to pull her hair back in preparation for traipsing through the woods. He tapped her wrist gently with his index and middle finger.

"Wait," he requested and she dropped her hands with a slight smile.

He didn't touch her often and when he did it was always like that, a light touch that wouldn't be looked at strangely by anyone if they saw it. She, on the other hand, liked to reach for his hand when they were in the Forest. Sometimes he'd hold hers for a spell, but usually they let their hands brush against one another and go back to what they were doing. Those touches made her heart flutter and other parts of her jump to attention. She liked it, but it was scary at the same time because she had no idea what it all meant. He was assuming he was going to die and she wasn't stupid enough not to realize that things were starting to escalate. She read the Prophet the same as everyone else.

Harry's concerns about Draco were evidently true. What exactly he was up to, they weren't able to figure out. She was really hoping he'd been wrong, that Draco would get out of this war intact but it was looking more and more as if that wouldn't happen.

Tonight, she led him and pointed out what was edible and what was not. What could be boiled with tea to add much-needed nutrients. As well as what had to be avoided. She also proved that she could catch a fish without screaming like, well a girl, when it flip flopped coming out of the water. She turned over rocks to point out the insects that could be used as a food source and the spiders and what not that were to be avoided.

Did he really think this was what she'd be resorting to? God, she hoped not, but she had to admit she felt more prepared to do it if she had to. The idea of eating bugs, though, made her stomach churn.

His attention to detail, unexpectedly, was second to none. She had to admit she couldn't think of anyone else she'd rather teach her about these things.

"Did you ever get a pet bat?"

The question was random after a long spell of silence between them. The silences between them were never awkward, which she loved.

She laughed softly.

"No, believe it or not, Mom would have gotten one for me. Dad refused."

"Smart man."

"I never forgot what you said to me about their wings being similar to our hands. I mean, I didn't remember until recently how I knew that, but I remembered it just the same."

"Oh?"

"I drew pictures of bats for months after that magazine came out and checked out every book I could find about them."

His lips curled up in his version of a smile.

"Yes, I know, how unexpected. Why? Are you going to get me one?"

"No," he said. "I would not choose a bat. Something tells me your familiar wouldn't take too well to one either."

"You're probably right. What made you think of that?"

He shrugged, as she combed the beach of the Black Lake for edible critters. She rarely found anything here, but it was a good habit to be in she knew. They'd gone to other areas with water so she knew there were things that could be found in the sand.

"It just occurred to me I never asked you. We're here at night where bats thrive."

She stood then.

"So, your animagus form is not a bat is what you're saying?"

She knew it wasn't. He'd told her vaguely what his form was.

"Contrary to the beliefs of my students, no, it is not."

"Show me?"

He stilled then and she approached him, tucking her hand into his. She reached up on her tiptoes.

"Please, Severus," she whispered before brushing her lips along his jaw.

They'd never properly kissed, but he'd allowed her to do things like this and he'd kissed the top of her head. She wasn't sure which of them was more uncertain about taking whatever was developing between them to that next step.

He sighed heavily, squeezing her hand and stepping away.

One moment Severus Snape was standing before her and the next a large, scary looking wolf/dog-looking animal was in his place. He was big even for a wolf, his head hitting above her waist, and he was pitch black with the exception of his eyes. Those were red.

"Oh my," she said, catching a breath before she stepped up to him. "You're beautiful," she added. "May I?" she asked, reaching for him with her hand but not touching him until he yipped in response. She stroked his fur, chucking him along the ears. He'd told her he was unregistered, so she knew he was taking a risk transforming here. Her heart swelled at the idea he did it for her. She touched every inch of him she could, memorizing the feel of his fur and the muscles beneath it.

She withdrew her hand, let her hair down from being tied back and closed her eyes, letting her transfiguration happen. She knew what he saw when the transformation was complete. She was much smaller than he was as well as a light gray coat contrasting with his deep black. Her wolf knew that he was something other, causing her to growl at him at first.

They yipped at one another, she batted at his nose with a playful paw, and he butted her flank with his nose to get her beside him. She let out a low growl, wagging her tail as she felt the need to run.

And then they ran.

It was glorious.

She'd never felt so alive or safe. She knew this creature would protect her out here.

Eventually, they stopped running, worked at cleaning one another and curled up around each other to rest from the brutal pace they'd been running and frolicking.

It was a while later when they transfigured back, their position was quite a bit more intimate than either was prepared for in their human forms but he didn't pull away from her.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Thank you," he replied against her ear gruffly. "Now you know," he murmured.

"Likewise. We should, don't you think?"

"Yes, we should recognize one another. In case."

"I've been so busy this year I haven't had time…"

"Same."

"Can we make time again soon?"

"Yes," he said, but he didn't sound sure of his answer.

He slid his left hand over hers, lacing their fingers together as their ring fingers glowed. "It would seem even our animagus selves are compatible."

"You'd think that would be intentional."

"He will protect you. Above all others. Even himself."

"Like you, you mean?"

He grunted. She wasn't wrong.

"You said a hellhound, and I believed you, but I thought you were maybe a fluffy version of one."

"No. It seems I can't even escape my demeanor transfiguring."

"I still think you're beautiful."

"That's bias talking."

"Hmm, maybe," she whispered. "I've seen you before in that form, too, haven't I?"

"You have."

"Curiosity?"

"Protectiveness and possessiveness."

"He's possessive of me?"

"He thinks I'm a dunderhead to the umpteenth degree."

She giggled at that, turning to face him.

"You are, too, in your own way."

He rolled his eyes. "I am no such thing."

"You thought I had Viktor camped out in my bedroom or something when you came at Christmas."

"I can admit to not enjoying the concept of others pawing that which is meant for me. The idea that he'd want something in return for the books he leant you."

"He wouldn't do that."

"I believe you," he said simply and she knew that was huge of him to admit. "How did you know?"

"The eyes. We don't get too many red-eyed hellhounds in my neck of the woods."

He chuckled. "We should get back."

"I don't want to."

"It is late and Professor Firenze spotted us earlier."

"He did not," she whispered, heart racing at the thought of being seen.

"He did."

"Oh my God, are we going to get in trouble? Are you?"

"No, he has no quarrel with me. He's known about my form for over twenty years. As long as no one in the Forest comes up dead who shouldn't be, he leaves me be."

He stood then, offering her his hand to help her up. She took it gladly, and stood on her tiptoes again. He expected her to kiss his cheek or jaw, but she settled her hands on his shoulders and kissed him on the mouth instead.

"Good to know."

"You understand, Hermione."

"I do," she said.

He nodded a bit before leaning down and returning the brief kiss, shocking her. She blushed deeply, touching her lips when he drew away.

"Thank you for the run."

"I look forward to the next one," she said as they started toward the castle. He was summoned as they approached the main entrance.

"You'll be okay to get to your common room?"

"Yes, Professor, thank you," she said snidely.

"Good."

"Go," she said, knowing any amount of delay led to punishment.

She walked toward her house, walking through the Fat Lady's portrait after giving the password.

"Don't you look lovely tonight, dear," she said.

"Thank you," Hermione said.

"What have you been doing?" Ron asked.

"Same as the past few weeks, Ronald. Good night."

"You're going to bed? It's early yet."

"I'm tired."

She went up to her room, waiting a few minutes before disillusioning herself and making her way out of Gryffindor tower and toward his quarters. She would wait to be sure he came back safely.

Return to Top

Part 10 | Part 12

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com