Chapter Ten
December 1996

"Why do you come to my backyard?" she asked after opening the door for him.

"I helped create the wards for your home. We, those authorized I mean, can apparate into your gardening shed."

"Oh," she said with a nod.

Evidently that made sense to her. He along with Minerva and Albus were the only ones who had authorization. Of course, this type of visit was not what Albus had in mind when he wanted Severus included. When her friendship with Mr. Potter became common knowledge, Albus had known Severus would protect her from Death Eater attention.

"If you'd rather I go to the other door…"

"No, it's fine," she said quickly. "I just wondered, remembering the last time you had as well."

"Yes, well, that was in part not to alert your neighbors to a strange man in black entering your home."

She smiled a little at that. He could just imagine her neighbors calling the muggle police on him. He supposed he'd deserve it, dressing much as a burglar might.

"You're still in black."

"It's much easier to coordinate this way."

She laughed and he found he liked the sound. A lot.

"Come on in," she said, opening the door further so he could do just that.

"I brought some butterbeer. I know you mentioned hot chocolate, but it can be served warm, too."

"Thank you," she said, taking it from him and setting it on the counter.

"My pleasure."

He took in her appearance, realizing that it looked as if she'd put forth some effort. If he wanted to be honest with himself he had as well. She'd liked the leather jacket the first time she saw him wearing it the day they went to the museum, so he wore it again tonight with a pair of black denims and black T-shirt. Over the shirt he had a dark green button-up shirt. She seemed to like the shirt, he noticed as she took his coat.

"Did you want one now?"

"Sure, if you do."

"Of course," she said.

She opened two of the bottles with a muggle opener and led him to the living room. He knew the way, having been there once before. He was still trying to wrap his mind around the fact she was willingly spending time with him. He'd told her everything. She knew everything there was to know about him. All of it. She knew about Lily, what he'd said to her.

And she accepts you.

She still welcomed him into her home.

Baffling.

She looked rather fetching in a pair of faded denims and a green button-up sweater not quite as dark as his shirt that looked very soft. Was that for him? Or was this how she dressed on a normal day while home for the holidays? He really had no idea.

"Did you do anything today?"

"No, grading," he said. "It's rather quiet with most everyone gone."

"I suppose. You don't go home to Cokeworth?"

She remembered the name of his hometown. That was pretty flattering, or maybe not since she seemed to have a very good memory.

"I don't spend much time there, no. I check on it, make sure it hasn't fallen apart."

"Why do you keep it?"

He shrugged. "I don't need much else. A bed to sleep on, a kitchen to cook in, a lab to mix potions in, and a chair to read in."

"I suppose," she said.

It probably sounded silly to her, especially given her parents' home was far from close to falling apart. Her parents obviously did very well for themselves in their muggle dentistry practice.

His eyes fell on the large books strewn on the coffee table. They were not coursework books but were clearly magical not muggle.

"And you? What did you do today?"

"Nothing, really. Studied," she said.

"Hermione."

"It's who I am!"

He knew that. He'd, honestly, probably been worse because unlike Hermione he had essentially no social life to speak of so all he'd had to do was study. She at least had a few friends.

"Indeed."

"Viktor brought me some books that he thought might tell us more about our marks."

"Mr. Krum?"

"Yes."

"I didn't realize he was that familiar with you that he knows where your home is."

And why did that thought bother him?

Immensely.

She'd said brought her, not sent. That meant he'd been here, in her home. He sighed softly at the curious feelings that realization brought with it. He remembered their conversation, too, about how her parents wanted her to spend the summer with Mr. Krum. Just last year.

"I'm not. I mean, we keep in touch, and he has access to things he's always told me he'd let me read. I mean, come on, he's a Quidditch player. He's nice and all, but not exactly the deepest thinker."

Severus snorted softly at that.

"And yet you hang out with Messrs Potter and Weasley."

"I'm sure I'd hang out with Viktor, too, if he was at Hogwarts. It doesn't mean I want to date him."

"All the witches in the world will be relieved to hear that, I'm sure. Some wizards, too, for that matter."

"I never had any claims on him. He asked me to the Yule Ball. I was mad at Ron, so I said yes."

"You looked lovely," he admitted with a nod of his head, ensuring that didn't come out sounding immensely wrong. He didn't think so, it was a compliment. She had, in fact, looked lovely.

"Thank you," she beamed.

Onto subjects safer than his having noticed she looked lovely. He hadn't been the only professor shocked at her appearance and choice of chaperones to the ball that year. She'd created quite a stir and was the subject of more than a little gossip for months after Krum's departure from Hogwarts. As far as Severus knew, he was the only one who knew of the quidditch player's invitation for Hermione to spend the summer with him.

"So, did you find anything?"

He presumed she had not or she would have bombarded him with said learned information as soon as he'd walked in the door.

"No, not really. He didn't seem to know much either. I guess I'm most concerned about the effects, both ways. You know? If we ignore it, does it or will that weaken you? I mean, maybe before we knew it didn't matter. We both know, though."

"Me?"

She was concerned about weakening him? That threw him.

"Well, yeah, you are rather important."

"Hardly," he scoffed.

"He seemed happy for me."

"Happy for you? Why?"

"That I've found you."

"You told him?"

"Of course not, but he's not a complete idiot. Why would I ask about soul marks and soul bonds randomly? That's not something I'd casually read about on Christmas break and he knows me well enough to know that."

"I see," he said, trying not to let it bother him that Viktor Krum knew at all what kind of reading she'd do on breaks.

"I did my nails," she said, seemingly in an attempt to try to change the subject away from their soul marks and Viktor Krum.

He glanced at her fingers. They did not look polished nor any different than they usually did.

"Not those nails."

He arched a brow and she reached down to slide one of her socks off, flexing her toes for him.

"Is someone going to see them?" he asked. Why else would she paint them? Had Mr. Krum seen them?

"No, just you now, I guess. I just felt like it. You asked what I'd done. I don't do girly things very often."

"Ah," he said with a nod. She was right, she wasn't like most of the witches her age at Hogwarts.

"You don't like them?"

"I didn't say that."

She slid her sock back on and stood then.

"Do you want to help me make the popcorn?"

"You need help?"

"Well, no, but I thought you might like to see how it's done."

Should he be concerned that she knew him well enough to know that he'd want to know something like that?

"Then lead the way."

She led him back to the kitchen where she walked him through step-by-step how to make the popcorn and melt the butter to pour over it. She poured some into two bowls and they returned to the living room. He sat on the sofa while she turned the television on and found the movie in question they were going to watch.

"Do you know who Tom Cruise is?" she asked.

"The name is familiar. I'm sure other muggleborn students have spoken of him, but no."

"I think his first movie was the early eighties, so probably after you would've been going to the cinema."

"Quite."

She confirmed that he was fine with his drink and popcorn before starting the film.

It was an enjoyable movie, true enough to the book that he had read not long ago. There were a couple of slower spots when he turned his attention to her. She always seemed to notice he was doing it and would look at him as well.

And smile.

"Do you miss it during the school year?" he asked once the movie was over.

"Miss what?"

He gestured to her home.

"Being able to sit on your couch and watch a movie while eating popcorn."

"Well, sure, but I have a whole new world that I didn't even know about until a few years ago. And, well, trying to figure out how to keep Harry out of trouble."

He chortled at that. "Good luck with that."

"Right?"

"I hope he realizes he'd be dead already if it wasn't for you."

"I'm sure he does deep down. That's not why I do it."

"Why do you?"

She shrugged. "He's my friend."

She took a sip of her butterbeer, letting her hand fall over his after she'd put the bottle down. "The same reason I don't want to be responsible for weakening you."

"I assure you…" he said, glancing at their hands.

"But you don't know!"

"Of course not. I've survived being a double agent this long, Hermione. I'm strong enough."

"I suppose you have."

"I don't want to be a project of yours."

"You're not! Just because I want to get information doesn't mean I think that."

He nodded simply in understanding. He knew she'd research it, it was one of the reasons he decided to tell her everything. He just didn't have as much free time as she did and he trusted her research abilities.

"Did you like the movie?"

"It was acceptable," he said snidely.

She laughed.

"I just realized while it's been years since I've read it, you just read it within the last few months so it may not have been as enjoyable."

"It was fine."

Truthfully, he couldn't recall the last time he'd watched a muggle film. It was rather odd, enjoyable but odd.

"Where did you go first?"

"Pardon?"

"When you used the time turner."

"Oh, the night you were born."

"Really?"

He shrugged.

"I was angry at Albus. Like I told you I have the time turner as an emergency. If all else fails, but the problem is until I know that going back and changing anything would succeed I haven't wanted to risk it. I need to find out how and why he was able to come back, no one seems to know and I haven't been able to ascertain the reason myself. He certainly isn't forthcoming with his secrets. Even in the Wizarding world, that's not normal. So, I decided it was time I do something for me in all of this. I never have. Well, I guess once I have," he said, gesturing to his Dark Mark which was visible because he'd rolled his sleeves up a bit. "I'd just discovered our connection and it seemed to be in my interest to find out who the Fates saw fit to bond me with. The beginning seemed a logical choice. I was curious if the marks would be recognized even then."

"And they were."

"Yes," he said with a nod, knowing she had his memory of that night in her hospital nursery.

"Professor Dumbledore thinks You Know Who has managed to split his soul. Horcruxes he calls them."

"How do you know that?"

"He's working with Harry. Harry told me because he knows I am the most familiar with the library. As far as I know, only Professor Dumbledore, Professor Slughorn, Harry, and I are aware of it."

"Second most," he said and she chuckled.

He was sorely tempted to touch one of the stray curls that had found its way onto his shoulder. She was sitting that close to him. He'd been able to ignore the scent of her while watching the movie, but now that they were talking and his focus was on her again it was becoming more difficult.

"Yes, well, he wouldn't ask you now, would he?"

"No."

"Does that help you if you had to use the time turner for that purpose?"

"A little, not really. I'd need to know more, but it's a start."

"I hope it doesn't get to that."

"Me, too, Hermione, me, too," he said.

He gave in to the temptation, reaching for one of the errant curls and wrapping it along his finger. If it came to that, him using the time turner to go back in time and change things there would be no telling he'd be sitting with her here and now as a result to be able to feel the surprising softness of her hair.

"I should go," he said softly.

"You don't have to. I have other movies. A Christmas one perhaps?"

"Sure," he said.

Was it wrong that he didn't want to leave? That he felt pride in the fact she didn't seem to want him to either? And he really, truly did not want to go.

She stood from the couch, offering him her hand. Confused, he took it and stood.

"The Christmas movies are here," she said, pointing to a small collection of films. "Pick one. I'll make some hot chocolate. I did promise you some after all."

"That you did."

"Unless you want to watch how that's made, too? It's not that different from tea or coffee."

"I think I can figure it out."

She smiled, turning to leave him to pick a film while she went to the kitchen.

Before he knew it, it was well after midnight and they'd watched A Christmas Carol (his choice in movies because ironically enough it was a movie his father had enjoyed and they'd watched it every year when Severus was a boy) followed by Ghostbusters.

She'd fallen asleep against him, head pressed into his shoulder about three quarters of the way through the last film. He'd debated leaving, but found he enjoyed not just the movie but the closeness and the feeling that she trusted him enough to let her guard down like this. He never believed after Lily anyone would trust him in such a manner again.

He thought over what she'd told him about Tom splitting his soul.

Why hadn't Albus told him of his suspicions? He could have been researching it!

Cedric Diggory might still be alive!

He sighed heavily, reaching for her left hand with his. Albus had his reasons. He knew that. He knew also that the older wizard didn't completely trust that Severus wouldn't turn to the Dark Lord's side when all was said and done.

Seventeen years ago he may have. Who knew truly? Now, though, he realized as he looked at their ring fingers glowing in recognition. He had something to protect. Accepting the soul bond or not, she was still his and he would do no less than protect her to the best of his abilities.

"Feels good," she murmured.

"It does," he agreed.

It felt … warm, for lack of a better description. Soothing, calming. It was as if their magic was swarming around and comforting, warming them. Inside and out.

"Did you like the movie?"

"I did."

"I'm sorry I fell asleep. I missed the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man."

He laughed at that. A full, hearty, head tilted back against the couch laugh.

"I should go," he said finally.

"I know."

"Thank you for the films."

"Thank you for coming and watching with me."

He stood then, mirroring what she'd done earlier in the evening by offering her his hand to aid her in getting up from the couch.

"Your parents aren't home yet?" He only just now noticed that fact.

"They won't be until the day after tomorrow. Well, I guess tomorrow now that it's after midnight."

"Oh," he said.

"Oh!"

"Yes?"

"I almost forgot! Just a minute. Don't go yet."

She darted into the living room, returning a few minutes later with a wrapped package.

"Happy Christmas, Severus."

"Hermione," he said, his lips tilting up into a hint of a smile. He pulled a wrapped package from his coat pocket, tapping it with his wand to enlarge it. "Happy Christmas."

"You weren't going to give it to me if I didn't give you anything?"

"I would have left it by your door."

"Oh," she said.

She tore into her package immediately. He had to admit he loved her enthusiasm.

"Have you read it yet?" he asked, unsure of himself.

"No," she said, stroking the cover of The Once and Future King. "It looks old."

"It is a first edition."

"Severus," she said. "I can't accept this."

"You can and you will. Just take care of it as I know you can and will."

"Thank you," she said, reaching up on her tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek. "It's very appropriate."

"I thought so."

He opened his package then, surprised to find an exquisite set of potion vials, the stoppers topped with small green snakes.

"I know they look delicate and brittle, but they're charmed to withstand normal bumps so they shouldn't shatter. Unless, I suppose, you throw it off a cliff or something."

"I'll try to refrain from doing so. Thank you," he said, knowing just what he would use these vials for.

"You're welcome."

An uncomfortable silence fell between them.

She kissed him!

Okay, it was on his cheek but it was still a kiss. Was she expecting him to return the gesture in kind? He doubted it, scoffing at the very idea of her wanting his lips on her person anywhere. He instead reached for a curl again.

"I think you're the only person who likes my hair."

"It's glorious," he admitted before he could catch himself from speaking so boldly, and probably very inappropriately.

She breathed in deeply, blushing crimson at his compliment.

"Good night, Hermione."

"Good night, Severus."

Return to Top

Part 9 | Part 11

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com