Chapter Twelve
July 1997

She wasn't sure she had any more tears left to shed. She'd cried for Professor Dumbledore. She'd cried for Severus. She'd cried over Harry's stubbornness. He would not see reason, would not see past what he thought he saw to think that there may have been more going on than just Severus killing Dumbledore.

She believed he had. She knew Harry wasn't incapable of reporting truthfully what he saw. He just wasn't sure what exactly he was seeing. She knew as soon as Harry told her what he'd seen that this was what Professor Dumbledore had asked Severus to do. She didn't know why he'd asked it of him, but she knew with every fiber of her being that he was on their side no matter how it looked.

Everything was packed up, ready for her to go home. The beaded bag she'd chosen for the undetectable extension charm was packed and ready to go. She'd gone through Severus' private lab the night before after Professor Dumbledore's funeral and the three of them had decided to continue the hunt for the remaining horcruxes. She'd stocked up on potions, leaving a note for him what she took and that she'd pay him back for anything that needed replacing. She knew he wouldn't take her money, but she had to do it. Hell, there was a chance he would never find her note because Severus may not be back and that thought made her shed more tears.

She'd used Harry's invisibility cloak and gone through the infirmary, taking a few potions and items that hadn't been in Severus' lab they might need.

There was nothing else she could do at or needed from Hogwarts before leaving the next day. She was exhausted. She wanted to see Severus. She needed to know he was okay. She hugged Crooks to her, staring at her left hand. She wished she could feel him, know he was okay. He was in so much danger and was virtually alone now that Professor Dumbledore was gone.

"Oh, Crooks," she whispered, eventually crying herself to sleep.

It was while her parents were at work that she saw the hellhound in her backyard. The feeling of relief at the sight of him was almost overwhelming. She dashed downstairs, threw open the backdoor, and ran to him before falling to her knees and throwing her arms around his furry neck.

"I'm so glad you're okay," she said, nuzzling against his neck. He yipped and she could almost hear the impatience in just that gesture. "You want to come in? Mom and Dad are gone."

He yipped again and she stood, leading him inside. She threw her arms around him as soon as he transfigured back into himself.

Uncomfortably, he slid his arms around her as well. Tears were flowing freely down her cheeks. His shirt was going to be more than a little damp by the time she was done.

"I'm all right, Hermione."

"Where have you been?"

"I've been a guest of the Dark Lord at Malfoy Manor," he said dryly.

"At least you don't smell like perfume today."

He snorted. "Hardly."

She took his hand, leading him to the couch. He sat and she sat next to him, curling her feet under her so she was leaning into him.

"I took some things from your lab."

"Good," he said simply.

"I left a note with what."

"Unlike the polyjuice ingredients you mean."

"Yeah," she said, blushing. He kissed the top of her head. She shifted then, moving to sit on his lap. She slid her hands to his shoulders. "Are you really okay?"

"I should be asking you that question."

"I'm okay."

"You haven't been sleeping well."

"Do you ever?"

"No," he admitted. "It's chaotic to say the least."

"I can imagine. I mean, I can't really, but have a good imagination to form an idea."

She leaned in then and slanted her mouth over his. Her breath caught, disappointment forming in her gut when he didn't respond right away.

And then he did.

His hands fell to her hips, skimming against her there almost reverently before he kissed her back.

It was … nice.

The only person she'd ever really kissed was Ron and he was a little too enthusiastic to the point of being gross. Kind of like the way he ate. She'd kissed Viktor a couple of times, but he'd realized pretty quickly she wasn't that type of girl and hadn't pushed her. It was one of the reasons she remained friends with him to this day.

"Turn your mind off, Granger," he murmured, breaking the kiss so they could both catch their breath.

"Sorry," she said with a giggle.

"What were you thinking about?"

She nuzzled against his jaw, kissing him there. "Kissing," she whispered.

"Is that so?"

"Yes," she said, kissing further along his jaw toward his ear. She found his earlobe and nipped on it, causing him to hiss softly. His hands gripped her hips a little tighter, tugging her toward him. She nipped at the skin just under his ear and he groaned softly.

"Hermione," he whispered.

"Hmm," she said.

He gave a soft huff, sliding his hands a little lower to cup her ass and she gasped, pressing against his hands instinctively. She found his mouth again, groaning as he parted his lips the same time she did. Their tongues met, hesitant at first until they got a rhythm between them. Her breathing was ragged, so was his for that matter. She loved feeling him so out of control, loved knowing that she was the one causing it.

He lifted a hand, sliding it against her cheek a little while later when they took one of many breaks to breathe.

"I should go," he whispered.

"I know," she said, tears forming in her eyes. She traced a finger along his lips. "Where do they think you went?"

"Trying to gather information," he said, running his mouth along her jaw. She tilted her head a bit, granting him better access.

"Did you find any?"

"Mm hmm," he murmured, nipping at her neck much the same way she'd done earlier to him. She groaned, sliding her fingers through his hair to press into his mouth more.

"I have something for you," he said when he drew away.

"Should I ask what?"

He shook his head a bit with a soft scoff. "Probably not what you're thinking."

"And you aren't thinking it?"

"Mayhaps," he said. He reached into the pocket of his robe, taking out two notebooks.

"You got me notebooks?" she asked, confused.

"I've finally found something scholastic you're not enthusiastic about receiving. What is the date? I must document this."

"Funny wizard."

"They're charmed," he said, handing her one notebook and opening the other. He grabbed a pen from the table beside the couch and wrote on his page.

She gasped as the word HELLO appeared on the page of her notebook. She took the pen from him and wrote HELLO.

He nodded. "They're warded so anyone but you or me will see school notes."

"Brilliant," she said.

"Bear in mind I may not be able to reply immediately."

"I understand."

"I don't know what's going to happen from here."

"I know," she nodded.

No one knew. Not really. She got it.

"Be careful, Hermione."

"You, too," she whispered, kissing him again after closing the notebook.

"I will try to return in a few days. If you'd gotten a bat, what would you have named it?"

"What?"

"When you wanted a bat, what were you going to name it?"

"Oh," she said, staring at him for a minute. Where in the world was this question coming from?

"Basil."

"You were going to name a bat Basil?"

"Yes," she said with a pout.

"That's something only you and I know?"

"Yes," she said. Who else would know that? Her parents maybe she supposed, but that wasn't a problem anymore as soon they wouldn't even remember her anymore let alone that she'd ever wanted a bat.

"Good, use it to ensure I'm me from now on."

"Okay," she said. She slid off his lap. "What would you have named him?"

"Assuming it was a male bat? I would have named it Vlad, of course."

"Ha ha, even at the age of five?"

"The idea of being given a pet never once occurred to me to think of such a thing."

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"It is what it is, but I suppose thinking back to my interests then. I would have named it Mare, based on the Norse myths about souls being able to leave one's body at night and wander."

"You read that when you were five?"

"They were myths," he said with a shrug.

"So, Basil and Mare."

She walked him to the door, pleased when he met her halfway for a kiss goodbye before he transfigured back into his hellhound form. She let him out with a deep sigh.

She grabbed the pen from the table and wrote THANK YOU. She understood she may not hear from him for a while, but she just wanted to tell him she appreciated the ability to communicate with him right now.

They'd kissed! Really kissed!

Okay, probably not the thing to be focusing on right now, but she couldn't help it.

Yes, it was kind of clumsy at first, but she imagined that was the case for anyone kissing for the first time. It felt nice, though.

Right.

He hadn't pushed her for more, which given their age difference she imagined she should be concerned about. He hadn't even really tried to touch her beyond her ass, which she was just fine with. She liked it, in fact, the feel of his large hands holding her, willingly touching her. It was heady, realizing he didn't touch just anyone.

That done, she took the notebook upstairs to her room and resumed working on ensuring everything she wanted was in her bag. She had no idea how long they were going to be gone, or even when they'd leave. She just knew she had to be ready as neither Harry nor Ron would be.

Return to Top

Part 11 | Part 13

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com