***Chapter Six***
February 7, 2003

"Why is it your eyes are glued to that infernal map?"

She almost jumped out of her skin at the question. Not the question itself, but she'd been so deep in thought that she'd forgotten for a moment where she was and who she was with. Even with seeing his dot very clearly a few feet from her own (which essentially meant his dot was right on top of hers and there was a thought that made her blush) on the map.

For whatever reason since that Saturday brewing with him a couple of weeks ago she'd found herself spending her time here versus the library unless she actually needed access to multiple texts. The first couple of nights, he'd extended the offer to join him at dinner "if she was tired of seeing the library's walls constantly". After that, he hadn't asked but she'd made her way to his lab and he'd never suggested she leave.

He was conversational and would even answer her questions about what he was doing and why. She imagined he tolerated her encroachment in his space because she helped distract his daughters to some degree. That couldn't be the only reason, though.

She hadn't read every book in the library on the wards, but she still wasn't sure that was the answer. She wished she could just ask him. Looking at the map was her way of looking busy while allowing her mind to catch up to everything she'd read the past few weeks. Was there anything she'd read that after reading other things seemed more important than it had originally? The thing was, nothing she found told her what had happened or who might have the power to breach them.

And that would be what it was. If they were breached and didn't gain entry via access granted by Albus, Severus, or Minerva. Well, that would imply power.

The past few days or so she'd been studying Harry's map. She wasn't sure what she expected it to tell her. Other than the potential for seeing someone on it who wasn't supposed to be here. It at least made it appear she was doing something. Watching the dots move around was somewhat addicting.

Just why, for example, did Imelda Treehorne have to return to her quarters as often as she did? At least she assumed they were her quarters. She was the only staff during the school days Hermione saw do this so frequently.

"I don't know," she said.

She wasn't sure if it was the fact he'd asked the question and she knew in a roundabout way what the map represented to him.

Those things being not so pleasant given his previous association with its creators here at Hogwarts thirty years ago. How many times had James, Sirius, Remus, and/or Peter used this map and the invisibility cloak to … prey on him?

Oh, she knew Severus wasn't a paragon of innocence. Even as adults, she could see how Severus would rub Remus and Sirius the wrong way.

Well, it suddenly occurred to her that she hadn't seen Ivy or Jasmin Snape, or those two first names with any last name. She supposed she shouldn't assume they had his last name. Regardless of what their last name might be, she had not seen either name on the map once. She wasn't sure why she hadn't noticed that until now, other than where Severus was Ivy and Jasmin usually were except when he was teaching. When Severus was teaching, they were in his quarters with one, or both, of the elves assigned to their care. And she didn't very likely think the girls brought themselves to Hogwarts so she hadn't been focused on them. She just never thought to look for their names even though it just dawned on her tonight she should have noticed their names. Especially nights like this, with all four of them in his lab.

Until now.

And the realization that with Severus she should have seen two dots for Ivy and Jasmin all along, even if they were here in his lab together. Even if they were in his quarters together. Or the Great Hall. Or wherever. There should have been a Severus, an Ivy, and a Jasmin dot.

She scrunched her forehead a bit, regarding the girls in question and then their father.

Was he masking them somehow? He knew about this map and who possessed it currently and that Harry wasn't here at the moment to attempt to spy on him. Harry also had no reason to do so these days. Other than this current assignment.

The map.

Who was to say that someone hadn't come up with another, a different map? What if Peter told someone about it? Peter was dead, had died without a trial. So, no one really knew who Peter told what to.

Regardless of the who or why of it, or even if it was a completely far fetched idea. Severus would want them protected at all costs. He wasn't the most emotional person. He was somewhat hesitant and even standoffish with them at meals, but Hermione was getting glimpses here in the lab of the man she never in a million years expected to see. Even at meal times. The way he blotted their mouths or chins with a napkin or kerchief was far gentler than she was sure anyone had ever seen him being.

Jasmin sneezed earlier in the week and he'd been so gentle wiping her nose with his kerchief. An almost tender grazing of her cheek with his pinky finger followed and then finally a kiss to the top of her head. It made her heart do a thing that she didn't quite understand.

He seemed to give them baths at night as she'd seen both dressed for bed with damp hair frequently over the past few weeks. He had clearly taken her tip on letting it dry naturally. He hadn't said anything, but she imagined like her parents he found it easier to manage. Both girls' heads were always covered with a hood when she saw them so he was even taking precautions to ensure they didn't catch a cold.

"I find that very hard to believe."

"I'm just looking," she said.

"Are you thinking it has your answers?"

He sounded curious, interested. He didn't sound as if her looking at this map bothered him. That was a relief. She didn't want to insult him or do something to make him uncomfortable.

"No," she said with a huff. It was just a map. A magical map that showed her where everyone was currently in the castle. It was still just a map. It wasn't going to tell her who was here over a month ago.

And yet.

She glanced at him, trying to suss out the idea that was taking shape. She wondered if it could have her answers.

Could the map be used to see who had been where at a certain time and place? Could she come up with some sort of spell or charm that could trace magical signatures so that she could see who was in Hogwarts January 3, 2003, who shouldn't have been?

"You've thought of something?"

"I think I have," she said.

How did he know that?

"Does that mean your time here at Hogwarts will draw to a close."

"Mm, it might," she said.

"Well, that might just be a bad thing then. Information taking you away from me."

Was he … flirting with her? He sounded somewhat downtrodden at that possibility. Was he serious? Or was he joking? He certainly looked serious.

"Ivy and Jasmin will have to find someone else to butter up by calling her Mama."

It was a safe response, not knowing exactly what he was saying to her. Or why. 

He didn't look … upset at her saying that. Did he think she hadn't noticed? Hermione didn't encourage it or anything. It was primarily Jasmin, though there were days Ivy hugged her so tight that Hermione assumed something was wrong. The girl never said anything and Hermione wasn't going to pry. She certainly wasn't trying to take the place of her mother. No one else seemed even really curious about where these girls came from. It surprised her, honestly, considering people like Minerva, Pomona, and Filius had had their father as a student. Shouldn't more of them want to get to know them? Then, maybe they did but he wasn't allowing them to.

"I apologize…"

Oh, well, now she felt bad for making him feel bad. She was teasing. She assumed he'd know that. Evidently not.

"Don't! I'm not upset. I always tell them my name is Hermione when they say it directly to me. I'll admit the confusion on Jasmin's face when I correct her does tug on heartstrings I wasn't aware I had. I'm certainly not afraid to tell James no."

He chuckled softly.

"And, well, it's not as if you don't know how to find or reach me, Severus."

"That is true. I find your company is tolerable and eases Jasmin in particular."

"I'm glad that I can help. I'm sure it's difficult for her. Both of them, but she probably misses her mother a lot, and is too young for you to explain to her that she's in danger."

"Correct."

Now that he thought her time here might be more limited would he pull away? She thought over the past few weeks they'd become friends. There was even a time or two she thought he'd been looking at her in that way, and hadn't minded that he might be. Those looks were what made her wonder if he was flirting with her just now. Some men it'd be easy to tell. Not so with Severus. She didn't guess that his flirtation was that much different than normal. Now he'd just made it sound as if he wouldn't be happy if she went back to her job at the Ministry.

Truth was, she wasn't sure she would be happy going back to her job at the Ministry. It was such a waste of her capabilities. She wished she knew whom she had irritated to the point of stalling her career.

She still had to figure out if a spell or charm like she was thinking about could even be done. She probably would have to ask Minerva for permission to talk to Albus' portrait privately. She was going to Harry's tomorrow and Minerva had no problem with her using the floo. Maybe she could talk to Albus then. Would books on The Veil and how it works help? She wasn't sure.

Regardless, she wouldn't be leaving tomorrow. She liked spending time here with them. She didn't want him to think that she didn't or it was just a thing to do to pass her time here since Harry was still on paternity leave. He had to know that, didn't he? She chose to spend her time with him instead of with Neville or Luna. Surely that had to tell him she liked doing it.

Then she thought over this man's history, what she knew of it anyway. She realized maybe he didn't know that. Maybe he wasn't sure or didn't want to presume.

Did she want him to give him an indication he could presume? That she'd be okay with that?

She stood then, walking to him, and setting her hand at his wrist. It was a gesture he'd allowed her to do a few times now. She could admit she took pride that he let her because she knew he didn't let many touch him. She liked how he felt under her hand. Warm. Strong. Yes, a wrist could feel strong. Capable. Both things she knew were true for this wizard.

"I'm grateful for whatever reason that I'm the one you let in, Severus. That you are allowing me to get to know Ivy and Jasmin. I know you're being cautious and I understand why. I would be, too, and I haven't experienced or seen half of what you have. I have chosen to spend my time here versus the library or my own room so do with that information what you want when it's time for me to leave Hogwarts. It won't be tomorrow. I have an idea. I still have to figure it out."

He nodded simply, glancing at her hand on his wrist but saying and doing nothing. Had she said too much? She wasn't swearing her undying love for him, but she was suggesting that she liked her time with him. Suggesting she'd be of the mind for it to continue if he was, too, without throwing herself at him. She wasn't even saying it had to be more than friends. That wasn't bad or wrong and she refused to apologize for speaking truthfully.

"Did you still want to take them to see James Potter?"

Oh, she wondered how difficult it was for him to say that name without any vitriol or disdain in his voice.

"I could. I'm going tomorrow morning. Were you looking for a break?"

"I admit the idea of a few hours to myself…"

She'd been joking, but she supposed he hadn't had a break since they'd gotten here. Time away from the girls? Sure, but he was teaching classes. That didn't seem like much of a break to her.

"Oh God, Severus, I don't know the complete circumstances. You haven't told me and I'm really trying not to pry more than I have, even if you don't see me as restraining myself. I get the impression that this was very much a surprise. Them being here, I mean. I don't think there is any parent who would fault you for wanting a few hours to yourself a month into things. I am not on a strict schedule. I'm putting in more hours than I'm actually paid for because I love the research, so if I'm here and you need an hour don't hesitate to ask. Truly."

"I appreciate the offer. I do not like to impose. I realize that's exactly what everyone would expect from me."

"I'm offering it's not an imposition and I wouldn't make anyone think it's anything but me looking for potential playmates for James. I mean if it turned into a daily thing, hours at a time I'd probably find it an imposition, but I'd tell you that. I don't see you doing that anyway, so I think we'll be fine. Now, as to tomorrow. I'd love to take them with me. James will love it, I'm sure. You know their schedules for breakfast and the morning best. You tell me when to get them and if there's a specific time you want me to have them back by."

"You plan on being gone that long?" He had a somewhat … hopeful look in his eyes and she wondered how exhausted he must be. Maybe not physically, though that was probably there, too. In a very different way from exhaustion from acting as a spy no doubt. Going from someone who'd lived alone all of his adult life to suddenly sharing his space with not just someone but two young girls. It had to be somewhat taxing. Plus their mother not being safe, which must mean they may not be safe. He was letting her take them, though, so maybe they weren't in danger. And then to think he had to be there for them all of the time. She got the sense he didn't like entrusting their care to elves but had no choice. He had to work.

"Oh, I'm sure we can find something to do. James has tons of toys and I'm sure we could find a muggle park to let them play in for a little while if the weather is cooperative."

"I imagine he does. Making up for what he lacked in his youth. Harry I mean."

She tilted her head a bit, wondering if he realized he called him Harry. She didn't feel like pointing it out. She liked hearing him call her best friend by his name rather than Potter or Mr. Potter.

The thing was she didn't think he'd had a great childhood with tons of toys either. That probably led to Jasmin having a lamp in her room with glitter in it. And both girls having stuffed animals in their beds with them. (Two were obviously newer, which she took to mean he had bought them for the girls.)

***

"Why don't you just run the diagnostics, Minnie," Albus said from his portrait behind her.

He'd been telling her this for over a month. She'd refused. She was curious, but she would not do that. Severus did not deserve it. Deep in her heart, she knew if someone had gotten into Hogwarts who shouldn't have, Severus would have informed her. Mother to his children or not. She believed that. She still had to be sure, thus asking Kingsley to allow Harry and Hermione to look into how the girls got here. Because if there was a weakness in the wards somewhere she needed to know about it.

There were times the past four years since his hesitant return she'd found him checking the state of the wards on his own. He didn't cut any corners or do anything to suggest to her that he was waiting for someone to get in again. She was fairly certain he'd missed sleep more than once to check them all in one night. She imagined those all nighters coincided with his being unable to sleep due to memories or nightmares keeping him awake. She never asked, he never said. It was none of her business, but she wished - as his friend and someone who cared for him - he'd confide in someone.

His daughters weren't people he would confide in, but she had noticed a distinct change in him since their arrival. Oh, it was a slow change, but he was kinder. He seemed well rested more often than not. He was slow to anger or to react with disdain when someone said something he found foolish. She knew him well enough to know what would cause both reactions in him. So, from her standpoint while they may not have been the confidantes she'd envisioned they were aiding their father. Maybe that was their mothers intention in bringing them here?

One thing she certainly wasn't going to do was what Albus was suggesting. Not for the first time either. He was not going to wear her down in this!

She slammed her quill down and stood, turning to glare at the man in the portrait.

"Because that would be an invasion of his privacy, Albus! He's had his privacy more than invaded already to last the rest of his life. Trampled upon I'd say. It would also be a betrayal of trust."

"It's just a wave of your wand and you'd have your answers and whether there's reason for concern. He'd never need to know and Harry and Miss Granger could go back to other matters."

"I'd know!" She regarded the portrait version of her former boss and friend. "Do you know something, Albus?" That thought hadn't occurred to her. Did he know who their mother was? Did he know how they'd gotten here? And said nothing for a month? She'd be surprised except she wasn't.

"I do not. I'm the one who suggested you look at how they got here. You know as well as I do that Severus did not leave the grounds that weekend. So that means someone brought them here."

Unspoken was that Severus rarely left Hogwarts, certainly not during his time as headmaster. So the question left unasked by both of them was … how did they get here to begin with. Not just Hogwarts, but in general. When had he taken the time to get a witch pregnant. Twice. Without anyone knowing of the first child or that he was involved with anyone?

If they were magical, which they had to be. Didn't they? Well, when he was being talked about post-war would have been a perfect opportunity for the mother to come out. To reveal herself and young Ivy. No one ever had, though. The Daily Prophet ran no end of stories about him. If there'd been the hint of an affair, a scandal (and not marrying a witch he got pregnant would be scandalous), or anything like that it would have come out.

"Was he seeing someone?" There she asked. Albus would surely know. He had to. Severus must have confided something to him in the event he died so that his child would be looked after.

For Ivy to be five, that put her being born sometime in 1998, which meant she would have been conceived during Severus' year as headmaster. The girls resembled one another enough to make it clear they were sisters. She supposed they could be half-sisters, but the resemblance was too close for that to be the case in her opinion.

"Not that he ever told me," Albus said.

Even in portrait form she could hear the doubt in his voice. No doubt wondering if there was something as significant as a witch Albus wasn't aware of if there were other things he'd kept from his friend and boss.

Wasn't that just the pot calling the kettle black!

"Hermione will figure it out."

"They've been spending time together, you say?" Albus sounded curious. Minerva could admit she found it interesting, but she was just pleased to see Severus … interact with someone beyond polite platitudes at the breakfast table to question it too closely.

"Yes. She seems to be done with the library for now. I don't ask her for a weekly breakdown. I realize what I'm asking for is nearly impossible. I trust she's working on it rather happily as Kingsley has mentioned more than once she's bored out of her mind at the Ministry. So I imagine she's enjoying a challenge. The girls, Ivy and Jasmin, seem to be very fond of her."

"Well, that stands to reason since she's the youngest witch in the building right now that's not a student at any rate."

"Mrs. Longbottom."

"Do you really see a child of Severus' having the patience for Luna Longbottom, Minnie?"

"I suppose not. They are still young, though."

"They are Severus' daughters and Mrs. Longbottom is still different."

"Yes, yes."

"What are they doing together?"

"I don't know! Brewing I imagine since she goes to his lab with him."

Silence. Minerva wasn't sure what that meant. She knew her friend wasn't done trying to get her to betray Severus. Again.

"He has never allowed anyone to brew with him."

"I'm aware."

"Maybe she'll get curious enough, or jealous enough, and run the diagnostics required in your stead."

"Jealous?" What in the world was he talking about? Jealous!

"What other reason do you see for a witch to choose to spend time in a dungeon lab versus the library she loves or her own private quarters?"

"She likes Ivy and Jasmin."

"I'm sure Ivy and Jasmin are charming girls. Like Severus, Miss Granger requires mental stimulation. I don't see either girl providing that to her with as much time as I've heard she spends in his lab. My statement still stands."

She noticed both had gotten more comfortable with one another over the last three weeks or so since Hermione arrived. She hadn't mentioned it to Albus, nor would she as it wasn't his business. It wasn't really hers either. She doubted she was the only one to notice, but no one mentioned it. Afraid to jinx it no doubt. If anyone deserved happiness it was Severus Snape. The idea of Hermione and Severus wasn't abhorrent to her. She just wished she was more confident in thinking that the mother of his daughters was not in the picture. As much as she appreciated all that Severus had done. Well, Hermione was her favourite cub. Perhaps ever. Everyone knew it. She would not sit idly by while he hurt her! It didn't seem as if he was intent on doing so, though.

"You know as far as I know he hasn't been away from those girls other than his classes since they got here."

"That's commendable."

"I was a little concerned at first. Not for the children's safety, but he was clearly not at all comfortable. I've watched, though, as he's acclimated and he's rather kind to them now." Seeing Severus show anyone kindness, certainly publicly, was surprising.

"Of course he is. Severus' problem is not that he's evil or incapable of loving. It's that he's had no one to actually love him back. Or allow him to be kind to them."

Silence then. Minerva's lips tightened as she turned away from the portrait to return to her seat. She had to bite her tongue from saying what was threatening to come out. This wizard right here that she'd been speaking with hadn't loved him either!

"Minnie."

"I have work to do, Albus," she said shortly.

This was the one thing they would not agree on when it came to Albus' treatment of Severus since he'd come to Hogwarts as a professor. Albus hadn't shown him that love either. Not unconditionally. He was a tool. A spy. A means to an end. Minerva was fairly certain the wizard felt more than thoroughly used by Albus, and not even remotely loved, when all was said and done.

Minerva knew she wasn't blameless either. And that wasn't just as his time as a professor either. She had to live with that. All she could do was learn from those years Severus had been a student and better herself.

Her knee jerk reaction to Albus' suggestion that there might be something romantic developing between Hermione and Severus was to stop it. The more she thought about it, though, it made a certain bit of sense. Assuming he didn't already have a witch. And, well, despite the two girls currently living with him, she was operating under the presumption that he didn't. Albus seemed to be, too.

Severus might be a lot of things, but an adulterer was not among them.

Would Severus see that the two of them made sense, though? Or would he push the witch away because of their age difference? Or his past misdeeds? Would he be able to get past his complaints about her when she was a student (who those like herself who had had him as a student found ironically humorous)?

Or any number of things, really. A lifetime of being made to feel unworthy could do it as well. It was fairly clear whoever the mother of those girls was, she wasn't in the picture. She didn't believe Albus would lie about that.

"I know you're upset with me, Minnie. I understand. I did what I thought was right at the time. However, I'm suggesting you run the diagnostics not to violate any trust or betray him, but to ensure that someone who is not supposed to gain entry into Hogwarts did not accomplish that. I don't know who Draco told what he was up to in his sixth year. Never mind who those he told might have told. Don't you see? I'm thinking of the safety of not just you and the students, but of Hogwarts."

"Yes, but that was using the Room of Requirement," she said, refusing to turn to face him again. He had a point, though. She could admit that.

"Where there's a will there's a way, Minnie. And we do not know what other ideas young Mr. Malfoy may have attempted or thought of prior to that one successful one. No offense to him, but I do not see him thinking of that right away and getting it to work immediately."

"I will take it under advisement. She hasn't even been here a month! And I also believe that Severus himself would sound the alarm if he believed there was a threat to Hogwarts, Albus. You know that's true!"

She truly did believe that and thought Albus did, too. It was one of the reasons she wasn't more … concerned about it than she was. She remembered vividly the look in Severus' eyes when he saw the state of the castle after he'd recuperated enough to be released from St. Mungo's after the war. Someone would have to know him well, but she was one of the few who did and the devastation he felt was obvious.

"I hope you're right. Witches, no matter their age, can be a weak spot for any wizard, but particularly these two I fear."

Minerva wasn't so sure about that. She believed it would take a truly remarkable person to get Severus to let his guard down. The walls he'd erected around his heart over twenty years ago had to be almost impenetrable by now.

She saw evidence Ivy and Jasmin were doing so, but that was different and not unexpected given they were his daughters. She did wonder more than once in the past month if he'd spent much - if any - time with them prior to now, though. He certainly hadn't taken personal time or anything that Minerva was aware of. And yet both Ivy and Jasmin clearly recognized and trusted him. She'd watched at first, too, for any sign that they weren't who they seemed. They didn't seem to be.

She didn't care what Albus said. She would not violate Severus' trust she'd so carefully been earning back again. She liked Severus so it was important to her that she do nothing to undo the progress they'd made since the war. Hermione would come up with answers without her having to cast diagnostics and invade not just Severus' privacy but that of his daughters'.

She had to!

***

Severus sat on the couch with Jasmin on his lap, trying to find the infernal Spot once again. Ivy sat near them at her table, working on some schoolwork so was not attentive to the flaps in the book as she sometimes was. Hermione had mentioned there were more books in the series (evidently the dog managed to go to a farm and even to school). He groused, but he had to admit Jasmin's laughs and enthusiasm at finding Spot (even though his hiding places never changed from one reading of the book to the next) were nice to see. Ivy enjoyed the book, too.

There were times he'd been tempted to say no. They both clearly looked forward to being read to each night. When they'd arrived there was nothing saying he had to continue that obvious tradition their mother had started with them.

Except he liked the idea of these two witches having these memories with him. Of him reading to and with them. Of quiet times with him. Something he never had with his father. Even before he'd gotten mean the day to day upbringing of Severus had fallen to his mum.

He wanted to be a better father.

So he read about Spot.

Sometimes she'd gasp, point at the page, and say "Dada, Spot?"

The first time or two he didn't understand that she was asking him where Spot was. Now he did, though. That was where they were currently. She was looking at him expectantly. From her eyes to her little hands clearly itching to find Spot herself she was so excited to ask him to seek Spot out.

"I don't know," he replied to that very question she'd just posed. "Where is he?"

"Spot," she called out.

"Yes, we're looking for Spot."

Her eyes were riveted to the page now.

"Where do you think he is, Jasmin?"

She pointed at a spot on the page. She looked at him, though not the book, and smiled.

"Is that where he is?"

She shook her little head, her curls moving with the gesture and giggled.

"He's not?" Severus asked. "Are you sure?"

She touched the page, showing him that there was no flap where she'd pointed to lift revealing Spot.

"Oh, well, we must find him."

He could admit he never imagined reading bedtime stories to a child. It just never seemed in the realm of possibilities.

She snuggled against him, her head fitting almost perfectly in the spot where his shoulder and arm met. A little small, but she fit just fine. He leaned in, kissing the top of her hair. His colour but her mum's curls. Ivy's was virtually identical to her younger sister's. He imagined both would be quite the heartbreaker when they got old enough for such things. There was something about black hair that seemed to intrigue people. Theirs didn't seem as naturally oily as his, but it was somewhat to the point if not careful their curls could appear … flat for lack of a better word. He would work with them on that as both got to the point of washing it on their own. Going by Ivy still requiring his assistance, he had years to go before Jasmin would be on her own with that task.

He sighed softly himself, closing the book now that Spot had been found on every page as he should be.

"Tomorrow you will be going with Hermione for a little while."

"Mama."

She seemed to know who he meant when he said Hermione's name.

He huffed, smoothing down her hair as he pressed his cheek against the top of her head.

"Ivy," he said. "You need to listen to me, too."

"Yes, Father," she whispered.

She stood from her spot at the small table near the sofa where she did her schoolwork. She was meticulous about ensuring the papers were in the proper order and her pencil put away where it belonged before she climbed up to join him and her sister. She did not like it when Jasmin grabbed anything and moved it from its place. Rows had ensued over exactly that more than once. Severus tried to make Ivy understand that Jasmin didn't mean to annoy her. She was just a curious young child who wanted to see and touch everything. She saw Ivy working at her table and wondered what she was doing, what these things she was using were.

"I'm sorry, both of you, that she is not aware she's your mama, so she is just Hermione here. It's important that you address her as Hermione. In this universe, and I know that exceeds your understanding as I truly don't completely understand it myself. Either way and before I confuse you further with talk of universes, it boils down to. She is not your mama. She does not know that she even could be your mother. She will be taking you to her friend Harry's home. He has a two year old son and a second one just a few weeks old, James and Herman. You won't do much with him, but Hermione says James will play with both of you. I have to trust that is true, and that you Ivy despite being five to his two will play nicely and be polite. I do wonder why the offer was extended. I certainly, until lately, have never been kind to the witch. I think of what I could have taught her if I'd been allowed to. Someone actually wanting to learn instead of just here to fill a seat." He couldn't ignore the thought of redemption that washed through him whenever he and Ivy worked on her schoolwork together. "That's neither here nor there, though. You must behave and obey the rules of the Potter household. Listen to what Hermione tells you. And Ivy, please ensure Jasmin doesn't say anything she shouldn't."

"I understand," she said, resting her head against his side.

"Thank you. Now should we go get a snack from the kitchens? Some pudding, mayhaps?"

Jasmin gave a soft squeal that didn't seem so soft considering his ear was right next to her face. Note for next time, ensure there is space between you and her mouth before posing a question that will elicit such a response.

"Ivy?"

"Yes, please."

He stood then, setting Jasmin on the ground to ensure she was presentable. House elves or not he wouldn't allow her to go parading around underdressed. He summoned their cloaks. Ivy could fasten her own for walking through the castle at night purposes, he put Jasmin's on for her before they walked to the kitchens with Severus carrying Jasmin. He let Ivy tickle the pear in the picture to get in. She'd already known how, which made Severus think this must have been the same way of gaining entry in her universe and she'd seen her mum or dad use it. Or heard about it. Something. Ivy and Jasmin were content taking turns being the one to access the kitchens. Tonight was Ivy's turn.

Both were clearly fond of the house elves and even if these elves did not know them they responded in kind to the girls' enthusiasm. Severus was pretty sure they could have requested the moon and the elves here would at least attempt to fetch it for them.

He had to admit, sharing pudding and warm milk in the kitchens before bed with these girls wasn't the worst way to end his day.

He also had to acknowledge, giving conscious thought to such a thing for the first time, that Hermione doing it with them wouldn't have been a terrible imposition either.

Return to Top

Part 5 | Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com