***Chapter Seven***

Hermione was surprised they weren't in his classroom or lab when she came down to get them in the morning. Did that mean he'd changed his mind? She didn't imagine him doing that and not letting her know. She'd just assumed they'd be here. So, took the chance they were in his quarters.

She'd only been in them a few times when Jasmin (or sometimes but less frequently Ivy) fell asleep in her lap. She never stayed long, the first night in them was probably her longest stay. Until this past month she'd never seen the entrance to his quarters. She imagined she was granted the access to now, which made her feel both flattered and concerned.

The flattery was understandable. He trusted her. That was huge and she knew that. She didn't get the impression he trusted many. She still wasn't sure what she'd done to earn that trust, but she wasn't going to look too closely for a reason. She certainly couldn't claim to understand how he thought.

The concern was a little more problematic. She wasn't sure where it was coming from, which probably went with the not looking too closely for a reason for feeling flattered . It wasn't something she wanted to think about right now either. For all she knew this day could go incredibly horribly wrong and he'd never let her take the girls again. And would therefore cut off contact with her as a result.

A lot could go wrong with his daughters spending time with Harry and his sons. Well, just the one really. Herman wasn't going to do anything with them.

She knocked on the door, smoothing her hands along the sides of her winter cloak. The door opened a bit, but there was no one there.

"Severus?" she called, pushing the door open a little further. She didn't want to barge in if it opened accidentally. Not that she saw that happening. Unless he realized he forgot something she'd need for one of the girls or something.

"In Jasmin's bedroom," she heard him say. She breathed a little easier and crossed over the threshold. She hadn't really registered before now how long the hallway was from the entrance to his actual quarters. She noticed now though, walking toward the little girl's room.

"Hi Ivy," she said, spotting Jasmin's older sister. She was obviously ready to go. Was she excited? It was hard to tell. She wasn't very excitable, not surprising given who her father was. Jasmin seemed a bit … lighter, always up for a laugh. When she'd observed Ivy laugh, though, Hermione felt as if she was on the receiving end of something special.

Did she have friends by her mum's home? It didn't sound as if she'd gone to school even before arriving at Hogwarts so she supposed she likely didn't. Was there someone the little girl missed though? Besides her mum? Hermione hadn't had many friends growing up. She always felt lonely as a result. She hoped Ivy didn't know what that was like. It wasn't a very fun way of growing up.

Jasmin on the other hand gave her usual enthusiastic greeting consisting of non-coherent but enthusiastic babbling, waving her hand, and saying ‘mama'. Hermione wasn't sure if she was supposed to correct her or not. She'd tried the first few times, but the girl just wasn't giving up. She wasn't sure how he'd feel about Hermione correcting his daughter.

"Jasmin, we have gone over this. This is Hermione," Severus said. His voice didn't have even a hint of scolding to it. He sounded a little frustrated maybe. She could imagine it would be frustrating.

"Maybe Hermione is too hard for her to try to say? James calls me Mi when he doesn't call me Ti, aunt or auntie is clearly too much yet."

"We will see if that works." He didn't sound very hopeful. "She has been fed and I recently changed her."

"Okay."

"I understand there's about a year or so left of nappies being in the equation." Was he asking her? Shouldn't he know? Clearly Ivy was out of nappies. As if she knew! That seemed a little young, possible but young. She knew Ginny had lamented the further along she got with Herman that James was showing no interest in using the potty yet.

"James is still in them, so I guess I don't know. It might be different with girls? I think Ginny said probably within the next year for him."

He nodded and gestured to a very nice leather backpack. Did he really not know when Ivy was potty trained?

"Undetectable extension charm," he said, evidently they were done talking about that. "It has everything you could possibly need for her. Extra clothes, nappies, and bottles. There is an extra outfit and shoes for Ivy as well, just in case. It is winter and you mentioned the possibility of being outside at a park. I know there are drying charms."

He seemed almost … nervous. Why did that make her heart do funny things? Did he think she was going to criticize him? She hoped not.

"All right. That's fine. An extra set of clothes never hurt anything, Severus." Maybe it wasn't nerves. Was he regretting agreeing to let her take them for the day? She hoped he didn't think she was trying to force him. She did think it would be good for the girls to be around another child for a while. She thought it would be good for him, too, to get some time to himself. Everyone needed that, and he was surrounded by kids all day now. Granted, his students were eleven to eighteen, not five and one. Still, it had to be hard especially for someone who until a month ago lived alone. (Or so everyone assumed anyway.)

"I've never taken them out of Hogwarts where I don't have an elf at my beck and call so I had to sort of guess on what either would need, so if there's something I've missed I apologize."

"I'm sure if you did, Harry and Ginny will have it. For a boy, but they have it. Even if it was extra clothes. We'd make do. Honestly."

"You are probably right." He nodded at this, but still looked a little concerned. She sighed softly and wondered if this was a mistake before she even took them anywhere.

"Are you sure, Severus? I sort of pushed this on you. If you're not ready or if you think I might hurt …"

"No!" She was surprised at not just how quickly he responded but the emotion that one word offered. "I do not think that at all. I just, I was charged with keeping them safe. It's not something I take lightly."

"I know, and I swear to you that I will keep them safe, too. I promise, we aren't going to go to Diagon Alley or anything. Harry understands no one else can be there. If we go anywhere, for ice cream or something, I'll make sure it's muggle."

"Thank you." He sounded genuinely … relieved by that.

"We will be fine. My patronus is an otter. If I need you, I will send it. I'm sure that I won't. Try to enjoy your time alone, Severus. Do you have plans?"

"I might read something that's not about Spot, rabbits, or the moon."

Hermione ducked her head, unable to hide the smile that crept to her lips. She liked that about this man. He was hands on. He didn't push the responsibility off to elves or a nanny. He gave them baths. He read to his daughters every night. She didn't ask him if he did, but Ivy usually told her what book they'd read  the next day at breakfast regularly enough that she knew he did. She might suggest reading one book to Jasmin and reading a chapter book to Ivy. She could certainly offer him some suggestions of those types of books she'd enjoyed her parents' reading to her when she was Ivy's age. She hadn't yet, still remembering he hadn't seemed too … keen on her offering a suggestion about drying their hair.

Then maybe Ivy liked being read to by her dad with her sister.

She wondered if he'd been read The Tale of Peter Rabbit or Goodnight, Moon as a child. She somehow doubted it and that made her feel somewhat sad. To her, being read to and then reading to her parents as she learned to do so herself were some of her fondest childhood memories.

"Well, enjoy it, whatever it is."

"I will try."

"And, really, I'm just a patronus away. We're going to Harry's and possibly to a park or for ice cream. Nothing more. I promise."

She watched as he bundled Jasmin into her cloak. He ensured her mittens were secured to her pockets so Hermione could grab them if needed but they would stay put if not. Hermione smiled a bit, remembering she had clips for her mittens that fastened to the sleeves. She'd lost a pair once, despite the clips.

He double checked Ivy's cloak and mittens as well, evidently already having helped her. Minerva was being kind and letting her use her fireplace so she could floo to Harry's rather than walk to the gates with Ivy and while holding Jasmin. She'd asked Minerva if she minded if Hermione had a moment alone with Headmaster Dumbledore's portrait. She'd balked a little, being the one who asked for her assistance, but caved.

Minerva had certainly caught onto Hermione's opinion of the former headmaster. So the headmistress must realize if she was asking to speak to him there was a reason. She hoped that was the case anyway. She didn't want to offend her friend. She didn't know how well Minerva knew the map. Albus seemed to be quite familiar with it.

George would be familiar with it, of course. However, as this was being treated as a favour to Minerva, assuring her that no one had breached the wards, rather than a full-on auror investigation. Well, no one but the few already in the know would be brought in. Hermione or Harry asking questions about the map would pique George's interest, and no one wanted that. Not to mention, Hermione wasn't sure if George actually knew how the map worked.

"All right, Ivy and Jasmin, give Daddy a hug and kiss before we go," Hermione said.

Hermione felt her heart lurch for a second as Ivy and then Jasmin proceeded to do exactly that. Not only did they do it, but Severus let them and returned the kisses. Good lord, if that wasn't one of the most heartwarming things she'd seen. He did look a little embarrassed so she didn't say anything. She sure wanted to, though. Who knew Severus Snape could be … loving? Gentle?

KIssable.

What would his lips feel like, she wondered? Right now, first thing in the morning so freshly shaven, she imagined they were soft. She had observed at dinnertime lately that he was one of those that by the evening could very much use a shave again. She found she kind of liked it (though she'd heard Ivy tell him it was scratchy once).

She picked Jasmin up then, carrying her and leading her sister up to the headmistress' office.

"Goyle," Ivy said, reaching with her hand to pet the gargoyle.

"Yes, it's a gargoyle," she said, wondering how she knew about the gargoyle. She didn't think Severus had brought either girl up here. She supposed he could have and Minerva just hadn't mentioned it. The headmistress wasn't obligated to tell her everything she did.

She spoke the password and ascended the steps, opening the door. She breathed a sigh of relief that Minerva was absent as she promised she'd be.

She walked to Headmaster Dumbledore's portrait behind Minerva's desk.

"Good morning, Headmaster."

"‘Bus!" Jasmin said, waving at the portrait. Interesting.

"Hello, Miss Granger. Who is this charming individual with you?"

"This is Jasmin Snape, and her sister, Ivy, Sir," she said, setting her hand on top of Ivy's head who was right beside Hermione, staring at the portrait.

"How do you do, Miss Snape? Two Miss Snapes," he said, chuckling.

Jasmin tucked her head into Hermione's neck, growing shy. It seemed she recognized Albus, though. Interesting. Ivy for her part walked up to the painting and touched it. Hermione saw tears in the girl's eyes and wondered what that was about.

"She is rather taken with you, isn't she?" he asked. This was about Jasmin, the way she was snuggling into her.

"It seems so. She is very sweet. Sir, I have a question before the three of us head to Harry's." She didn't want him too focused on either girl. She didn't think Severus would appreciate that.

"Of course."

"Do you think it would be possible to use Harry's map to see into the recent past? A charm or a spell that would allow me to see who was here on a particular date. Tracing magical signatures maybe?"

"You're thinking of being able to see the day we think Ivy and Jasmin came to us."

"Yes," she said, nodding. She was so glad he understood. Not that she thought that he wouldn't. She may not like him, but that didn't mean he wasn't smart. "I'm asking because I think you're the only one left who is remotely familiar with the map."

"Well, I am unaware of it being used in the way you're suggesting so I can't say that a spell or charm exists. No, I really don't believe that one does. I am certain, though, Miss Granger, if anyone could come up with such a thing it would be you."

"Thank you, Sir. One last thing, just to prepare myself, assuming that I can. Have you ever known the map not to tell you someone was here?"

He didn't answer her, was clearly thinking as he pursed his lips for a moment with a thoughtful look in his eyes, stroking his beard. It was eerie, really. She didn't know Phineas Black to know the quirks he may have had when he was alive. She did know Albus Dumbledore well enough to get a little … melancholy at the sight of him touching his beard that way. To be eleven again and think that he was a kindly old grandfather and nothing more.

"What do you mean?" This was asked after more than a minute or two of silence as he was clearly thinking of what she'd asked. And likely his answer.

She'd piqued his interest. Even in portrait form she could tell.

"Well, say you knew without a doubt that Severus was in his office because you'd just left him there, but you viewed the map immediately afterward and he wasn't represented on the map. Could he do that? Or anyone, for that matter? I don't mean specifically Severus."

"Hmm, that is an interesting question, Miss Granger. You're thinking someone might know about the map and try to circumvent it."

"Yes, I think I am. Is that possible?"

He was quiet again, eyes looking off to the side as if he was looking at something she couldn't see because the frame was blocking her view. Maybe he was. She didn't know how the paintings worked from their side of things.

"Not that I'm aware of. No."

"So, if someone didn't appear…"

"Well, I would think they found a way, but that would mean they have knowledge of the map and as far as I know other than the current owner of the map and his two friends, the other Mr. Weasley, and Severus of course, no one else does. Minerva I suppose knows about it, but I'm not sure that she's ever seen it used. So, going toward your question. If someone didn't appear I would take that to mean that Hogwarts doesn't recognize them, their psyche as it were, for it seems to me from my research that's at least part of what the map uses. So, that would make me wonder where they came from."

"Where they came from? Do you mean that it wouldn't recognize someone not native to Britain?"

No, that couldn't be right because she was fairly sure Harry and Ron had seen Viktor's name on the map that year he was at Hogwarts. Still, she wasn't one hundred percent certain they had. Was that why she didn't see Ivy or Jasmin on the map? They weren't British? Judging by their speech, though, they were.

And really, where outside of Britain would Severus have been able to go without anyone knowing it six years ago to conceive Ivy? That just didn't seem possible. And if they were conceived and born here, they'd be recognized as British, even if their mother wasn't. Wouldn't they? Their father was British for certain so they would be. Oh, this was making her head hurt!

"No, I was thinking a little broader than Britain or beyond, Miss Granger."

She opened her mouth to question him further and then glanced at Ivy and Jasmin. She had to be careful in how she phrased this. Was that what it was like to be him? Always minding what he said so as not to give anything away? She was not going to tell this man that she had not seen the girls on the map. She would not do that! Not until she understood why they weren't showing up on it.

"So, if someone managed to get in here without the wards alerting Minerva. I'd say Severus but he would have been alerted by whoever dropped off the girls coming to him. I can assume if I can come up with a spell to track magical signatures I should see them on the map?"

"I should think so, assuming you can get the spell to go back that far into the past. If you happen to not see someone you think that you should. I would presume the locations would be limited to his lab, classroom, or private quarters, just by the way. You can come speak with me, run through the spell you created, and the steps you took. Together we can see if there's anything I can think of that you might do differently."

"Of course, Sir. I appreciate your time. I'm going to get them to Harry's. James sounds rather excited to make new friends."

Albus chuckled. Those eyes twinkled.

"Yes, I appreciate the irony in it, not as well as you I'm sure, but I see it."

"He is good to them?" His tone was sincere here. She debated about not answering.

"I wouldn't leave them with him if I thought that he wasn't, Sir."

Not that she could really stop him she supposed, but she could appeal to Minerva or someone if she truly thought he wasn't treating them properly. She saw absolutely no evidence of that being the case. The scene she witnessed in his rooms just before coming up here pointed to him treating them well.

"No, I don't suppose that you would. Have a good day, Miss Granger. See you later. And good luck, though I don't mean to insult you by suggesting for you it would only be luck finding your answer."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Bye Uncle Albus," Ivy said, waving to the portrait.

He chuckled again. "I like the sound of that, young Ivy. Enjoy your excursion, girls."

Hermione with Jasmin in her arms and Ivy beside her crossed to the fireplace then.

"All right, let's go see James, Harry, Ginny, and Herman. Remember your father and I mentioned Herman is a very small baby so he won't do anything with you." She glanced to Ivy then. "I suppose you remember what that's like with Jasmin when your mum had her?"

"Mm hmm," she said, eyes wide.

She grabbed some floo powder, stepped into the fireplace, ensured Ivy was secure against her. Only then did she call out Grimmauld Place as she tossed enough floo powder for the three of them. She wasn't sure how either girl would react to traveling via floo. Hermione admittedly still found all wizarding means of transportation a bit unsettling.

Ivy was calm, made no sounds or movements. She didn't grip Hermione's waist extra tightly or anything as if she was scared, but she clearly wasn't planning on letting go until they'd arrived at their destination. That was good.

Jasmin, though, giggled gleefully the entire trip between Hogwarts and Harry's home. Hermione had to admit her enthusiasm was a bit contagious.

"We heard you coming before you got here," Harry said.

"Not surprising."

"She evidently likes traveling by floo then."

"Evidently, so. Jasmin, this my friend, Harry."

"‘Ry," she said and moved her index finger as if she was trying to trace his scar. "‘Ry," she said again.

"I guess she wants to go to you."

Hermione handed Jasmin to him, sneaking her cloak off of her in the process. She was so excited she didn't seem to care if it was on or off. She smiled a bit at how easily Harry took hold of her. She loved how good he was with kids, not just his own either.

"Hi Jasmin," he said.

"And this is Ivy," she said, feeling a little bad that it seemed as though Jasmin got the attention. She supposed that's what happened with families that had more than one child. She never experienced it, though.

"Hello, Ivy," he said, winking at the older girl. "Was that you making all that noise, Jasmin?" he asked, bringing his attention to the younger sister. She reached right for his glasses. He blocked her attempt easily enough. He was rather practiced at it by now Hermione knew. James loved to reach for his glasses. "Not the glasses. You want to see my scar?"

He slid his hand to his forehead and pushed his hair up a bit so Jasmin could see his scar. Ivy actually seemed interested, too. Harry saw this so stooped a bit, letting her see it also.

"Hello, Harry Potter," she said softly, tracing the scar.

That made Hermione wonder how Ivy and Jasmin knew he had a scar. There was no doubt that Jasmin was trying to trace a lightning bolt or a slash or something at his forehead with her finger a moment ago as if she was familiar with it.

"You're thinking about something. Don't do that," Harry said. "This is supposed to be a fun day. Relaxing. Not working. The kids playing while we talk. Like best friends."

"I'm fine, Harry."

He didn't look as though he believed her, but she was trying to figure out how these girls were familiar with things that they shouldn't be. Some of them just didn't make sense to her.

When had Ivy seen Albus? Uncle Albus suggested familiarity, but he'd been dead before she was born. Jasmin clearly recognized the former headmaster, too. Hermione didn't get the impression Severus brought either girl to the headmistress' office to have conversations with the portrait of a dead man that he'd been responsible for the death of.

Had Severus brought them to the office? Was that how Ivy knew about the gargoyle?

When had they seen Harry? She supposed they saw them briefly at Hogwarts, but that wasn't close enough to have seen his scar.

More importantly. Why did they (Jasmin mostly) call her mama?

These things were really starting to bother her. She didn't like not knowing the answers to questions.

"Okay girls, let's go meet James, yeah? He's been waiting for you all morning, Ivy and Jasmin."

Ivy tugged on Hermione's cloak before she started removing it.

"Yes, Ivy?"

"Is mean painting here?" She was clearly trying to whisper, but didn't succeed too well.

Hermione's eyes went to Harry's, obviously he was guessing who she was talking about just the same as Hermione was.

"No, Ivy," Harry said. "Well, she is here, but she's covered up. So she won't bother you."

She nodded then, seeming very relieved at that.

Interesting. And another curiosity.

How did she know about Walburga Black's painting?



It was clear at first James wasn't quite sure what to do with Jasmin. She wasn't as old or big as him so her coordination and skills weren't the same as his. She wasn't a newborn as his little brother was either, though. It was interesting to watch him acclimate. He seemed a little put off by the older Ivy, probably because she was Teddy's age but not someone he was familiar with. Eventually, the three of them figured it out, with James digging through his toy box for some that he hadn't played with in a while or that from what Ginny said he brought out for Victoire. And some he hadn't played with yet as he'd had no one to join him since getting them.

That left the three adults to talk, though all three kept a watchful eye on the kids. They'd all been around Teddy, Victoire, and James together enough to know that the mood could change quickly when it came to playing together and sharing. And children getting cranky.

Eventually, after some time at a muggle park and a late snack that was really a light lunch (late) it was clear Jasmin and James had had enough of another child. Jasmin had gotten very clingy with her, which broke Hermione's heart a bit. James on the other hand just hadn't wanted to share anymore. She imagined that was kind of normal at the age of two when he hadn't really had to before now. Victoire and Teddy would be the only other children he would have to share with, and they likely had their own things to bring. Hermione hadn't thought of it. There might have been toys in the bag Severus gave to her, but she wouldn't have known what to search for. She wasn't going to go searching through his bag. That seemed more invasive than a few hour visit called for.

Regardless, two Snapes and a Potter played and got along. Hermione took that as a win, and was pretty sure though it went unsaid that Harry did, too.

Ivy for her part asked Ginny for a book and spent a good amount of their time after the park paging through it by herself.

Hermione regarded the girl more than once, finding her desire to sit quietly and read despite things going on around her eerily familiar. She remembered vividly being more interested in a book than playing with others. Too familiar, actually. It was one of the reasons she did not have many childhood friends. Not to mention the way she sat reading the book. She wasn't sure why it took until today to dawn on her or to really notice these things. She had before, but not together. Both girls' hair was a lot like hers. And there were things about Jasmin, too.

Ginny got ideas, Hermione could tell, but Hermione was ignoring the other witch's attempts at finding out what was happening between her and the girls' dad. Honestly, Hermione didn't know what to say! Saying they were friends seemed an understatement. Saying they were more than that was clearly an overstatement. She didn't see Severus going out of his way to talk to anyone else, though. He'd not allowed anyone else to get remotely close to Ivy or Jasmin. So, they had to be at least friends. And him letting her in had to mean something. She just hadn't figured out what yet. Until she did, she would keep her thoughts to herself. For that matter she had no idea the role their mother had in his life. She might just be gone until the danger she was in was over. She didn't want to gossip about him, or say something that might get back to him and make him think less of her. It would be just her luck that she'd say something and Ivy would repeat it to her dad.

Sure, other professors and staff spoke to him at meals. Ivy and Jasmin were quickly becoming quite the attention getters around the castle. (And not in a bad way.) She didn't think Severus particularly liked the attention. However, she knew with little doubt that there was not one of those staff members he took tea with in his lab or let see the inside of his quarters. She hadn't told anyone she'd been in them either. She didn't think he'd appreciate her speaking about him like that and it was no one's business as the only reason she'd gone in there was to help him with his daughters.

The girls' cloaks back on and the backpack he'd sent with them accounted for, they stepped back in the fireplace at the end of their time at the Potters'. Hermione was planning on a little detour.

Something the headmaster said was bothering her. Not just what he said, but the similarities she'd noticed between her and the girls. The fact that they seemed to know Harry or at least know about him. That Ivy called Albus ‘Uncle Albus' and knew about Walburga Black's painting and the gargoyle. Well, not bothering her exactly, but it struck a chord with her. These were things about Ivy and Jasmin that niggled at her mind. As well as the fact Jasmin called her mama a lot.

And well, if Severus hated her for doing what she was about to do, she supposed she deserved it.

"This is Hermione's house," she said once they'd come out in her living room. Hermione set Jasmin down, draping her little cloak over a nearby chair and setting the backpack on it. Ivy removed hers and put it with her sister's.

"Mama," she said, Jasmin said. Ivy for her part was looking around very curiously.

"Mi," Hermione answered back. "Can you stand still for me, Jasmin," she said.

"Ivy? Did you know Harry before today?" she asked. She took her wand out of its holster while asking, preparing to show it to both of the girls. They'd seen it before she knew, but today was going to be a little different. She didn't want to frighten them.

"Mummy has pictures of him."

"Of Harry?"

"Mm hmm. He's her best friend."

"And you know Albus Dumbledore?"

"He's father's best friend."

She supposed he was. When he was alive. He had never been alive in this girl's life, though.

"How did you know about Mrs. Black's portrait if you've never met Harry before today?"

"Mummy said she is very scary and mean to witches like us."

She could have asked the next question that was on her mind, but she thought saying out aloud would make her sound crazy. She felt crazy for thinking it. And, yet, here she was about to point her wand at these little girls because she couldn't shake the feeling that she was their mummy.

"I'm going to point my wand at you, but I promise that I'm not going to hurt you in any way. Okay?" This was said to Jasmin, she didn't want Ivy to be first.

Jasmin nodded, biting her lower lip in a gesture that was so familiar to Hermione it made her heart lurch.

"Hold still now."

She pointed the wand at Jasmin first and cast the spell she needed. She'd never needed it before now. She wasn't even sure why she'd learned it. It wasn't as if Ginny, Tonks, or Fleur had needed her for that sort of thing. And she, Ron, or Harry weren't going to be needing it while they were hunting horcruxes.

A small piece of parchment appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Magic truly was neat.

Name: Jasmin Aileen Snape

Born: March 20, 2000

Height: 20 inches

Weight: 7 pounds, 13 ounces

Gestation: 41 weeks

Mother: Hermione Jean Snape (muggleborn)

Father: Severus Tobias Snape (half-blood) (deceased April 10, 2001)

Status: Married

Siblings: Ivy Liana Snape

She cast the diagnostic again, getting the same result. She turned to Ivy then, casting the spell.

Name: Ivy Liana Snape

Born: April 1, 1996

Height: 19.5 inches

Weight: 7 pounds, 5 ounces

Gestation: 39 weeks

Mother: Hermione Jean Snape (muggleborn)

Father: Severus Tobias Snape (half-blood) (deceased April 10, 2001)

Status: Married

Siblings: Jasmin Aileen Snape

Her being the mother was the least of what mystified her about these results. (Thus her casting the spell today in the first place.)

There was no way Ivy was just shy of turning seven years old and Jasmin was nowhere near three. Hermione was no expert, but she knew enough to be confident in that opinion. She was not wrong thinking Ivy and Teddy were close in age.

She would have remembered having a baby, too. Two of them. She was also absolutely certain that she'd remember being married to Severus.

She'd cast the spell, thinking maybe time travel was involved. Like future Hermione had dropped them off with him. Albus' wondering where they came from had made her think of time travel. She'd gone to when not where, but now. Well, obviously not. (Why him and not her, she hadn't decided on. Other than there was likely a better chance of catching Severus at Hogwarts than guessing where Hermione might be.)

Married to Severus at the age of sixteen, fifteen probably if Ivy was born in April 1996.

What did it all mean?

She looked at Ivy and Jasmin who were both watching her wand curiously.

"Did Daddy point his wand at you both like I just did?" she asked Ivy.

The older girl nodded, biting her lower lip in a gesture very familiar to Hermione. They both did it.

She tilted her head a bit, regarding the girls for the first time from the standpoint of being related to them.

Their mother.

Their hair was closer in colour to Severus', but to hers in texture.

Their eyes were almost a perfect halfway point between her brown and Severus' black.

Neither had his nose. Not that that would have bothered her, but she sensed somehow it might have bothered him.

"Do you think I'm your mummy?"

"Mama," Jasmin said, squealing in glee as if she'd been waiting for this moment for the entire time Hermione had been insisting she call her Hermione or Mi. She somewhat clumsily threw her arms around Hermione's neck since she was still kneeling in front of her.

Ivy hugged her, too. Hermione's arms went around both of the girls. They were hers. She had no idea what was going on because she knew without a doubt she had not given birth to them. They sure thought she was their mother, though. They were clinging to her right now as if they were relieved to finally be able to call her that.

And if that didn't do all sorts of things to Hermione's insides, including her heart.

These girls.

There was no way they were hers, but the diagnostics said they were. What did it mean? She thought back to what the headmaster's portrait had said. He said he'd wonder where they came from.

He hadn't meant a location, such as from Italy or something. Or the future. He was implying that they came from somewhere else entirely. He'd said as much without saying so directly (typical).

Another time?

No, that wasn't right. She'd still remember having had Ivy if she was from 1996 and Jasmin in 2000. And Severus was very clearly alive and well in 2003 despite their diagnostics saying he'd died almost two years ago.

Another universe?

Was that even possible?

A universe where she was married at fifteen to her professor?

And why would that Hermione bring the girls here anyway?

And how had that Hermione brought them here?

Then she thought of the timing. If Ivy was born in April 1996 and she was five. That would bring them to April 2001. Severus had died according to the diagnostics in April 2001. Had something happened in that universe with regard to the war or Voldemort specifically that her alternate self didn't see any other choice but to give her daughters to one of their parents in another universe? Was the war still happening in 2001? Severus had said their mother was not safe. If the war was still going on in 2001, chances were not being safe was an understatement.

Was that Severus really dead then? The diagnostics seemed to say he was.

And why did that bother her immensely?

Things clicked into place then.

Jasmin's first few emotional responses at seeing her. She wasn't out of sorts or throwing fits, but she remembered the first few times she came into the Great Hall she'd gotten fussy. Severus had left the hall almost immediately, to the point she thought she'd offended him somehow because it was clear while Ivy and Jasmin might have finished eating that he had not.

Him choosing the seat next to her made some sense, too. He wouldn't rush out and tell her what was going on and why. He wouldn't do that, probably for a few reasons. They'd been brought to him. He'd take that seriously. The least of which of those reasons he likely would be worried she'd think he'd had a mental breakdown or something. Alternate universes were not something they covered in classes at Hogwarts.

So, he'd allowed Ivy and Jasmin to spend time with her, their mummy, without Hermione knowing what he was doing. Ivy and Jasmin got what they needed and Severus got a little peace and quiet at meal time.

The same could be said for him extending the invitation for her to brew. She'd thought it was because he was growing fond of spending time with her. Evidently not. She was just helping him.

Sneaky bastard.

Did that mean he didn't like spending time with her after all? That she was just a means to an end so he tolerated her presence? Had she been seeing a budding … relationship where there wasn't one?

Well, that was a thought that didn't sit well with her at all. Yet about on par for her woeful relationship experience.

What could she say, though?

"Oh by the way I ran a diagnostic scan on your children because I was curious and what the fuck does all of this mean? And am I just a convenience to you?"

Yeah, that wouldn't go over well at all.

She clearly, though, in light of whom Ivy and Jasmin were to him - and to her - had to be misreading things into his actions. Stupid of her to think he'd see her as anything but his annoying former student, twenty years younger than him.

"What's wrong, Mummy," Ivy said. It was interesting she called her mummy. She knew for a fact that while Jasmin called Severus Dada or Daddy, Ivy usually called him Father, Severus didn't seem to like that moniker.

She felt tears forming in her eyes and wasn't even sure where they were coming from. It wasn't as if he'd come out and said he was interested in her, but she thought she'd found someone who recognized and appreciated her mind. And someone whose mind she could appreciate.

She didn't want to be a convenience.

She drew away from the hug, not that she wanted to but getting used to these girls' hugs was not the thing to do. Severus obviously didn't want her involved with them in this way or he would have said something. He was an intelligent man, she was an intelligent woman. Surely he could have thought of something over the past month to explain the situation. Even if she did think he was crazy, the diagnostics would have confirmed what he was telling her.

"Thank you for asking, Ivy, but I'm okay. So, girls, let's get you back to Daddy, yeah? I'm sure he's missing you and wondering what trouble I'm helping you get into."

She looked at Ivy for a moment, a thought occurring to her. Jasmin would have little to nothing to offer her as far as information. Ivy, though, at five would certainly be able to tell her some things.

"Ivy?" she asked. "Do you live with both Mummy and Father? Normally? Before you came here to this Father?"

"No, Mummy, Jasmin, and me are hiding from," she leaned toward Hermione. "Death eaters," she whispered before pulling away. "Father visits on Tuesdays."

The poor girls. How frightening it must be. It probably explained why Ivy was the quiet type, too. She'd likely grown up having to be for fear of saying the wrong thing to someone.

"Mummy, Jasmin, and I, but thank you for telling me. You're safe from those types of people here."

"Father has said so."

Ivy leaned in then, kissing her cheek. Jasmin did the same.

"Oh, thank you," Hermione said, more than a little surprised at the gesture of affection.

"Mama, kiss kiss," she said.

"You must really miss your mummy, yeah? And here you've been trying to tell me and I haven't listened very well. Have I?" At five, Ivy clearly had a bit of an understanding of their situation. Jasmin at one would not know anything beyond her mummy was no longer with her every day and her daddy was all of the sudden. "All right, let's get you both back to Daddy."

She grabbed Jasmin's cloak and the backpack while Ivy put her cloak back on. She stopped to check to ensure Jasmin didn't need to be changed one last time before returning her to Severus.



"Did you have a nice day, Hermione?" Minerva asked. Her eyes widened a bit once Hermione looked at her after ensuring Ivy and Jasmin were both all right after exiting the fireplace. "Are you all right?"

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine," realizing what the headmistress was asking for. She wiped her eyes and cheeks quickly. "I must have gotten ashes in my eyes or something. I'm not used to flooing with anyone else."

Minerva's lips tightened a bit. She didn't believe her, but she nodded simply so she accepted her excuse. Thank you, Minerva!

Stupid. She should have washed her face before leaving her flat. She should have at least checked her reflection to ensure she looked okay. It hadn't even occurred to her.

"It was a nice day, wasn't it, girls? They got to see Harry Potter's scar, play with James, and meet Herman. Ginny spoiled them when she thought I wasn't looking."

"Yes, that doesn't surprise me. No other visitors?"

"No, that was part of the stipulation of my taking them. Just the Potters. We did go to a muggle park for a while, but that was it."

"Makes sense, knowing Severus at any rate. Well, have a good rest of your day. I'm glad the morning went well."

"I was thinking," she said. "Do you have a moment before I return them?"

"Of course," Minerva said.

Hermione moved to sit in one of the chairs on the other side of Minerva's desk.

Jasmin sat quietly on her lap and Ivy sat on the floor beside her chair without even having to be told to. She glanced at the painting of Headmaster Dumbledore. If a painting could convey curiosity and concern, he did.

She'd just found out something rather … earth shattering and amazing. She still wasn't sure what it all meant, but she needed time to think. To figure out what it all meant. And she wanted to research the magic that went into creating the map to see if she could tweak it. She suspected how the girls got here now. Another her brought them. She wanted to know, though, if she could do what she thought of. At least now she'd know what to look for: Hermione Granger in Hogwarts on January 3. That helped immensely knowing if she did come up with an idea to determine if it actually worked. She wouldn't be able to do that here, though. She'd wonder if Severus cared for her. She'd get even closer to the girls when it seemed he didn't want her to. She wasn't going to stay at Hogwarts forever anyway. It was always meant to be temporary until she found Minerva's answer. She was one step closer to finding it.

"I think I'm going to go home for a while. I'm at a point where I need to think of some things. Suss out how I'm going to come up with a spell to do what I want it to. I think at my flat where I won't have any distractions will work best for me to get it done quickly."

"Are you in a hurry to get back to your position at the Ministry then, Hermione? I thought you were enjoying your break. Your time with us."

"Oh, I am. I just. Nearly a month is a long time to be away from my flat, my life, rather unexpectedly. And it's familiar. You know? I just think I'll do my best work and thinking there."

"All right. When do you think you'll go home?"

"Tonight."

"Oh. That soon?"

She looked … concerned and curious now, too. She was not going to tell her anything. Not yet anyway. Eventually, she realized, she'd have to.

"I think so. I'll be back, obviously if I come up with a spell I'll have to try it out here, but I just think…"

Her former head of house assessed her. She wasn't a legilimens that Hermione knew of, but she wasn't looking at her like that anyway. She was curious, though, as to why she was leaving now. Her lips pursed, allowing silence to continue between them. Giving Hermione a chance to change her mind? Eventually, she gave a slight nod, her eyes falling to Jasmin and then to Ivy.

"Say no more. You're twenty-three years old. It was ridiculous of me to think I could convince you to stay."

"Stay? Here?"

"Well, yes. Do you think I pulled you away from the Ministry on a whim? I asked Kingsley to assign you to me. As I said when you arrived here, I just want assurance that whatever happened isn't an indication there's something wrong with the wards. I know you and Harry work well together, but I knew in particular that you would enjoy researching and using your mind again. I was hoping that you would want to stay. I told you when you finish to come talk to me if you felt unready to return."

She had. She'd just assumed Minerva was being kind. She really wanted her here? To stay?

"And do what?"

Minerva laughed then and Jasmin laughed in response.

She pointed at Minerva then and said "kitty".

Minerva's eyes widened.

"My, you truly are Severus' daughter right down to the keen intellect, aren't you, my dear? Yes, my animagus form is a cat."

"Meow," Jasmin said.

Hermione couldn't resist brushing her cheek against the top of Jasmin's hair, chuckling softly. And that just made her want to cry harder. She was pretty sure she hadn't seen this Minerva in her cat form, but it seemed as if she had seen a Minerva in cat form. Or knew about Minerva's animagus form at any rate.

Speaking of cats.

She remembered now thinking she'd seen Crookshanks in Severus' quarters. Had she? Were there currently two Crookshanks' in the castle? Had he come with the children? If so, how could she be sure she was bringing home her Crookshanks and not their Crookshanks. Assuming she took him home today. She didn't have to. He liked prowling the castle.

It was just too much!

"Well, after your break, come talk to me and we can talk about options. If after your break you realize living and working here is absolutely not what you want. Well, then there's not much point in considering anything, is there?"

"I suppose not. Thank you, Minerva. I'm going to return the girls to Severus and pack my things so I can go home tonight."

"That room will stay ready and waiting for your return."

"Thank you."

"You are welcome, Dear."

"Thank you again for speaking with me earlier, Headmaster."

"Anytime, Miss Granger. I trust that it helped to some degree, leading to your sudden departure. We will miss you of course, but am glad the three of you had a nice day at the Potters'."

She stood then, taking both girls from the office, down the stairs and down more stairs until they'd reached the dungeons.

"I was beginning to think you'd absconded with my daughters," he said, his back to her as he was looking for or counting something in a jar on the shelves.

"No. We had a nice time. I think they enjoyed themselves at any rate."

"Good."

"I checked Jasmin before we came home. Her nappie is clean. She had a snack not long ago. Ivy did, too. It was kind of large so it may have spoiled their dinner, but it wasn't junk."

"I trust you and Ginevra Potter did not fill them with sugar, Hermione. So, all right, thank you."

He was by them now, taking Jasmin from her and offering Ivy a gentle squeeze to her shoulder. It really warmed a piece of her soul how gentle he was with them and that after being gone from them for hours like this for the first time in over a month he wanted to hold Jasmin and touch Ivy. She had no doubt he welcomed the time alone, but his instinct wasn't to let Hermione put Jasmin down or something. He came to get her.

"And you enjoyed yourself?"

"Yes, that's not unusual, though. Anyway," she said. She had to leave. If she didn't, she'd likely say something she'd regret. Or he'd regret her saying. She needed to think, not act impulsively. "I'll let you get back to what you were doing."

He regarded her curiously. He likely saw the evidence she'd been crying, too.

"You don't have to leave. I …" He sounded a little baffled, and she loved that sound there. She just wished she knew if he was baffled because he liked the assistance with the girls. Or if he wanted her here. She just didn't know.

"No, I really do have some things I need to tend to today."

"If I took you away from something."

"Not at all. I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't have the time, but I do have some things to do."

"They can't be done here?"

"I'm afraid not," she said, patting Jasmin's cheek lightly and then brushing some of Ivy's curls away from her face. "See you later, Miss Ivy and Jasmin. Thank you for coming to see my friends with me. Be good for Daddy."

She turned then and left. She had to. It was one of the hardest things she'd done. She wanted to stay. She wanted to scream at him. For what exactly she wasn't sure. She wanted to hold both girls forever. They were hers damn it and he didn't tell her! Would he have ever told her?

She shut her door then when she returned to her temporary room and collapsed to the floor in tears. She wasn't even sure why she was crying. She had no idea where her mind was going. It was all over the place, and that was unusual for her.

Finally she regained her composure and realized she still had Jasmin's cloak and backpack. She reached into the backpack to summon her own cloak she'd put into it after they'd returned to Harry's after they returned from the park.

It hit her then.

She knew this magic.

This was her magic.

She'd created this undetectable extension charm. Severus had not. She wasn't sure why she hadn't noticed it before, other than she hadn't really been looking for it. Why would she have? It wasn't her backpack.

She reached into the bag again after grabbing her cloak and setting it beside her on the floor.

"Accio letter from Hermione Snape."

Nothing. She was confident there was something in here for her. If she had done this, she would have included a letter. Did Severus get a letter? He must have to know the girls' mum was in danger.

"Accio letter from and to myself."

Something was suddenly in the palm of her hand. She grabbed onto it and drew it out of the backpack.

She thought of calling for Dabdey or Tibly to come get the backpack but what if there were other things in it meant for her. She didn't think he was going to need Jasmin's cloak or the backpack immediately.

She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, opening the envelope.

Well, they say we are the cleverest witch of our age. At least they've said that about me so I can assume they did about you as well.

You figured it out, which led to you finding this letter.

You likely have a bunch of questions. I can't possibly answer all of them. I quite frankly don't have the time. I will try to answer the ones I think will help you best.

Yes, they are both mine. With Severus Snape.

Yes, in my timeline we married in June 1995. He did it to save me from essentially being bought by a pureblood death eater like Yaxley or Dolohov. I presume you are familiar with them to know that lives with either of them (or any like them) would not have been pleasant. Voldemort signed a marriage law into effect shortly after his return.

I agreed to the marriage when the option was presented to me. He was by far my best option. At least I should have been able to finish my schooling as obviously education is important to Severus. In theory anyway. That hasn't happened, though Severus has provided me with the books, previous tests, notes (I think Minerva helped him collect these), and assisted me so if I'm in a position to take my NEWTs one day I can.

He told Voldemort he'd initiated a relationship with me to aid in spying on Harry's activities. I hope you're best friends with Harry there. I truly never thought I'd have a friend like him. The relationship turned physical and a pregnancy resulted from that. (That Voldemort bought that Severus would have sex with a student tells me how good of a spy he is, which is a little frightening to think about.)

He lied, of course as there had been no relationship. Never mind Severus wouldn't have forgotten to cast the contraceptive charm if we were intimate. He backed himself into a corner because with the marriage law was the expectation to procreate and prove you were attempting to. So, he could not say I had a miscarriage as we risked him voiding the marriage and giving me to someone else anyway if we didn't try to get pregnant again right away.

That obviously meant he had to actually get me with child.

He was not happy about it. I could see the toll it took on him to do something he viewed as truly and absolutely reprehensible and dishonourable as consummating his marriage to a student. A minor. He has standards, if you haven't figured that out by now. He might berate students, but some of that is due to frustration and lack of proper rest and nourishment. The headmaster and Voldemort like to pull him in several different (often very contradictory) directions. The first year or so we were married I could at least try to ensure he ate and rested properly, but it's been years since I've been in the position to oversee such things for him.

He is above all an honourable man. Please know that, if you don't already.

Over the past nearly six years I have fallen in love with that honourable man. It happened pretty quickly actually. At first he was aloof, cold, guarding his heart and, likely, his soul. He did not have the best upbringing and as far as I can ascertain other than Lily Evans really had no friends. He truly thought I would hate him for what we had to do to create Ivy. Eventually, though, he realized I was the only person he had on his side one hundred percent. He knew that I had committed to being his wife, decree or not, and I would not betray those vows. Or him.

He began letting me in. First it was a discussion of a paper or test. Gradually, though, it broadened to where I'm not sure he recalled a time he didn't have me to confide in.

Couple that with seeing evidence of his child growing inside of me as my pregnancy advanced and eventually feeling her moving inside of me.

Well, love was inevitable. At least on my part. I don't know how I could have done anything but. He was a bit more stubborn about admitting it than I was. He assumed I would change my mind about our physical relationship being wrong. Let me assure you that I did not and once he got past thinking he was hurting me or that he was doing something wrong. Well, I like to think we were very happy with that aspect of our marriage. We have mentioned to one another more than once that perhaps the Dark Lord did us a favour as we would likely never have considered one another under normal circumstances.

Ivy was reported as being stillborn. We waited as long as we could, and Albus altered Poppy's memory of delivering a live baby. There is even a muggle cemetery plot (empty) near his mum and dad in case he was ever asked for that symbol. We did not know initially that the children that resulted from these marriages were not to be raised by their parents. From what he's told me they reside at various death eater homes together. We, obviously, could not allow that to happen to our child. Thus the stillborn story.

She and I hid out at Hogwarts for a while, rarely straying from the dungeons except to sneak to the kitchens once in a while. Eventually, at the beginning of the 1996-97 school year, there were those who were getting vocal about believing whether there had ever had been a pregnancy and questioning his loyalty to the Dark Lord. He feared for my safety as well as Ivy's. I don't think his own safety was a factor even though he would have been severely punished if she were to be found alive and not placed under the Dark Lord's care as expected. He doesn't tell me every detail, I think he wishes to shelter me from as much of the darkness as he can.

Anyway, Ivy and I have been in hiding since September 1996. Voldemort has been told I left him. He comes to the safehouse one night a week to see us. I am fairly certain Albus is aware of this because he hasn't been scheduled rounds on a Tuesday in years. He tells Voldemort that he is looking for me, wanting to bring me back home. Pretending, of course, to be angry that his muggleborn wife has embarrassed him so thoroughly. Here we are five years later still hiding. Still fearing for our lives. There truly doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

Things are not going well. They have escalated the past few months to even where hiding does not feel safe. (And our safehouse was carefully picked.) Please know I did not make this decision lightly. I fear Severus is dead or will be soon if he was captured as has been reported to me. If he is dead, there is no longer anyone standing in between me and a life of abuse, degradation, and torture. I shudder to think what they'd do to Ivy and Jasmin, especially if it's ever discovered what Severus' true leanings are. I don't know every death eater so I wouldn't know that I was running into one to try to get away before it was too late.

I became pregnant with Jasmin during a … break in the violence. Severus thought. Well, I guess I don't know for sure what he thought. I think he thought for a while Voldemort would be defeated. I don't know if something was supposed to happen and didn't. By the time things got truly bad again. Well, it was too late to do anything but have Jasmin. I think it meant a lot to him that she was created the right way.

I am choosing him over you because I don't know where you'd be. I limit my magical use as much as possible. The three of us live as muggles essentially. I won't risk magic being detected in our neighbourhood. Creating the portal that I have to to initiate this process will leave a huge magical signature. I can't have another one hours later turning up. They could be waiting for me! And I don't think I'll have the energy to open one on my end and one again on your end. All of my tests have been draining. I don't have a choice anymore but to do it.

No, it has to be a quick process. Cross over, drop the girls off, and cross back. There won't be time for anything else.

I am relatively assured he will be in his lab or close to it at Hogwarts. If he's not there, I know I can summon an elf to care for them until he returns. If you're reading this, you know the truth and are likely hurt. I apologize. It wasn't my intent. My thought was simply "save both of my babies". As much as he loathed having to create Ivy with me he loved her completely. He felt he'd betrayed me, his offer of protection, when he realized he'd be forced to actually create the reported child with me.

It took him quite some time after Ivy's conception was confirmed to allow physical intimacy between us again. I think eventually he saw that not being intimate after our marriage started out actively that way hurt me. It was odd to go from no experience to experience back to none again. And then throw in pregnancy hormones. Well, I certainly didn't want to wait until I was seventeen to be with him again!

I should address as well how I gained entry as I know that is what would pique my curiosity. The headmaster granted me the privilege of being able to apparate in and out of Hogwarts after Ivy was born in the spring of 1996. From my understanding, Severus is the only other one who's been able to. Perhaps it's different in your universe. For Severus, it was in order to avoid being seen when necessary. For me, he did not want Ivy and me to be stuck there unable to leave, essentially trapped if something bad were to happen. Severus granted me access to his lab, so I assumed both the ability to apparate and access his lab would carry over regardless of universe. I'm still me wherever I go after all.

I do envy you being able to see him as a father as the girls grow. He thought he would be a bad one, but he really is far from it. He's far more confident with Jasmin than he was with Ivy because I think he sees that she is turning out just fine. Living apart for years or not, I cannot take complete credit for her behaviour being what it is.

I am going to do my best to return for them, but I don't know if I will be able to. And, truly, would returning be fair to your Severus, you, or the girls if I show up five or ten years from now and take them back? Ivy will likely remember her parents and the explanation I have provided her as to what I'm doing, where I'm taking her, and why.

I don't know what your relationship is with him. Maybe you are already happily married, but something tells me you're not. As I said earlier, we likely would not have thought of one another in such a fashion without the intervention we had. (I guess this means the Dark Lord did one good thing.) So, Hermione Granger, if you're looking for a ringing endorsement as to who yourself thinks you should pursue, you have it.

Hopefully, my visit hasn't hurt that possibility. There's something I hadn't thought of.

Regardless. There's little I can do about that other than plant the seed. I don't want my Severus to have died in vain. And I admit I like the idea of my daughters being raised by both of you.

Please tell Ivy and Jasmin Mummy loves her and be strong, Hermione.

P.S. Don't try to find me. I didn't say that to Severus. Somehow I didn't feel the need to with him. With you, though. I know myself. My need to know things. My priority is Ivy and Jasmin's safety, not my own. You didn't carry them. You haven't spent the last five years raising them so your priority is not going to be the same as mine. As long as I know that they are safe from Voldemort or his followers getting a hold of them I consider that a victory. If you came here, you could endanger yourself and I'd never forgive myself for that. I know you will want to determine what spell I came up with, I know this. Please, though, use it to do anything, go anywhere, but find me. I also worry if someone in my universe realizes this is possible they'll use it to change other universes. I had very strict parameters on finding your Severus: no Voldemort and no war (I realized they didn't necessarily go hand in hand). There were other things as well, including him not already being married. Something told me that wouldn't have worked well. I would hate to see my work, my attempt to allow my daughters to survive in a world not torn apart by war and evil, fall into the hands of evil and be used to that end.

P.P.S. There is nothing more in the bag for you specifically. Good luck. To both of us!

There was no signature. There didn't need to be. She recognized the handwriting.

"Well," she muttered to herself.

What in the hell was she supposed to do with all of that?

The funny thing was, even before reading that that version of her had fallen in love with that Severus, Hermione could see it happening very easily. He wasn't one for random acts of kindness or anything, but he had a way of looking at her and at the girls that let her know he was checking on her and them. Ensuring she was all right.

At least she thought he was looking at her in that way.

Now, she wondered if her overactive imagination was seeing things that weren't there. He was simply looking at her because she helped soothe his daughters who missed their mum and he had no way of getting them back to her.

How pathetic was she?

She wiped her eyes (again) with the sleeve of her muggle sweatshirt, sniffling a bit as she called for Dabdey.

"Yes, Miss Headmistress' guest."

Hermione smiled slightly at the title.

"Hi Dabdey. I took Ivy and Jasmin Snape with me for a little while today and forgot to give their dad Jasmin's cloak and their backpack," she said, handing the items to him. "Please tell Mr. Snape I'm sorry to have run off with them."

"I will, Miss," he said with a bow.

"Thank you, Dabdey. You take good care of Ivy and Jasmin."

"Oh, yes, Dabdey and Tibly are good to both Missy Snapes."

"I know that you are."

***

Severus' eyes drifted to the empty spot on the other side of Jasmin throughout dinner. He'd chalked it up to her saying that they'd had a late lunch. That she had things to do. He didn't know what those things were. She didn't say and he didn't want to sound as if he thought she had to account for her time to him. Her evasiveness bothered him, but what was he supposed to do?

Ivy was unusually quiet, saying merely that her day at the Potters' was fine. Jasmin babbled away throughout the day oblivious to his mood or that of her sister's seemingly. Very little was decipherable, but the gist he got was that she had enjoyed her time at the Potters'. Her having a relationship with this generation's James Potter was not something he was overjoyed about, but he could admit now that Harry Potter was not his father anymore than Severus was Tobias Snape. Were there similarities? Personality and physically wise? Of course, as the product of their fathers Severus would be surprised otherwise.

When she was missing from breakfast the next morning, though, his heart dropped a bit. And it had nothing to do with his daughters missing her either (though they certainly did).

Had her time with Ivy and Jasmin not gone well in her eyes? Had one of them said or done something to upset her? He couldn't imagine that was the case. He hadn't known them long enough to believe he was biased in that opinion, but maybe he was. Had she and Harry decided that Snape children were not something they wanted to take a chance on after all?

He honestly couldn't see either of them doing that. They were too … decent to punish his children for his sins. (Despite Severus doing that very thing with Harry, but unlike his mother Harry had forgiven him.)

After dinner with her still not present he stopped by the library later that evening. Other than students and the librarian, who while acceptable was no Irma, there was no one there.

"Mama," Jasmin said, waving in the direction of the table Hermione could usually be found studying at. It was the same one she'd preferred as a student. Ivy looked in that direction, too, but said nothing. Severus heard her give a soft sigh, though.

"No, she's not here tonight, Jasmin," he murmured softly. "And, remember, you are to call her Mi." His voice lacked the conviction behind it it usually had in this reminder.

He left the library then and found his way easy enough to the guest quarters she had been assigned. He'd never visited her before. He received no response to his knock.

"Where did she go off to, Ivy?"

"I don't know," she said.

"Mama," Jasmin chirped.

"Yes, I wish you were both a little older and I could ask you if something happened."

He sighed heavily. He could probe further with Ivy, but he didn't want to upset her either. Or make her think she'd done something wrong. Or that he thought she did something wrong. She clearly didn't know what happened either because she seemed as confused by Hermione's sudden absence as he was.

"I could perform legilimens on you, but I refuse to invade your mind in such a fashion unnecessarily. She certainly does not owe me an itinerary of her daily activities."

No meals the following day.

No meals the following week.

Or the week after.

No sight of her in the library either. The castle was large, most certainly, but in his opinion it seemed as if she wasn't here any longer.

Severus wasn't sure as a week or two turned into a month who was more miffed by this change: his daughters or him.

He, dare he admit it, missed her.

His lab, which until Ivy and Jasmin's arrival had never been frequented by anyone other than Albus once in a great while, seemed empty without Hermione bent over her books studying Merlin knew what.

He'd been tempted on more than one occasion to snoop, but he'd refrained. Just as she, surprisingly, had not hounded him about the girls' origins or their mother.

The more he was away from Hermione after weeks with her the more he saw evidence of her in Ivy and Jasmin. Both tended to bite their lip in very much the same way Hermione did. Both were also insatiably curious. To the point Severus started setting Jasmin on a spare lab table with a sticking charm so that she could watch what he was doing while he told her. Ivy would stand on a chair to observe or sometimes join Jasmin on the table. (Both grew bored about two weeks ago simply hearing him say he was putting aloe into the cauldron. Jasmin would wiggle and wave her hand, clearly wanting to see .) Both were awed by magic and wanted to see everything Severus was willing to show them.

Those traits could have come from him, certainly, but he recalled her speaking of their being lucky they had him to teach him about magic so young and imagined their reactions were more the other version of her's influence than his.

Couple that with the fact they'd lived with her pretty exclusively. Well, he didn't think it was a surprise he attributed traits to her versus him. Their mum would certainly be as curious as his Hermione was. Ivy even talked like her.

Ivy was a whiz at her school work. He rarely found errors, and when he did they discussed them. She rarely made the same mistake twice. She was precise and would grow frustrated if she couldn't say what was on her mind. As if her brain was working just a little faster than she was capable of processing. He had no doubt she'd catch up.

The evenings were the worst. The girls would sit on the floor and play with whichever toy appealed to them in that moment and more often than not Jasmin would be brought to tears by the fact mama was not there to play with her, too. (Hermione played with her, as in sitting on the floor and using the toy with her, far more frequently than Severus did.) Ivy wasn't prone to fits of tears, but she was clearly not happy with her mother's sudden absence either.

Even when he did try, it was clear he wasn't Hermione and just wasn't a suitable substitute. Severus tried not to take that personally. They weren't unhappy with him, but they'd spent time with this mum and gotten used to having her. Again. They'd really only suffered ten to fourteen days without her when it got down to it.

A month of this was enough. He had a right to know the reason for her sudden disappearance. He took Ivy and Jasmin with him to Minerva's office, not bothering to knock.

"Make yourself at home, Severus."

"Is Miss Granger unwell?"

"What do you mean?"

"I haven't seen her since she returned Ivy and Jasmin to me after their excursion to Mr. Potter's home last month."

"Were you expecting to?"

"Well, expecting. I suppose not, but it has become somewhat of a habit for her to sit on the other side of Jasmin at meals. She hasn't been to any of them in a month, Minerva."

"Well, if you were your usual personable self, Severus."

"I don't need lectures on my behaviour, appearance, or anything else. I merely came to ask if a witch my daughters have grown close to to the point they spent an entire morning and part of an afternoon with her has taken ill."

Her eyes narrowed keenly, seeing things he didn't want her to no doubt. It wasn't just Ivy or Jasmin who felt betrayed by her sudden absence. Where was she? He'd seen her familiar a few times (and he knew by now which was hers and which was the other hers, his now he supposed) so assumed she was still in the castle. What did it mean then that he had seen no evidence of her at all?

"Mm, well, you can tell the girls that they will be without Hermione's company for a while. She returned home in an attempt to work through whatever problem she's trying to sort through without interruptions."

She'd gone home? For a month? And said nothing? Not even an owl? Had something happened with Ivy or Jasmin at the Potters' home that made her leave so suddenly? Had she gotten tired of being called mum? Had Harry or Ginevra said something to make her realize she shouldn't get too close to a Snape. He thought they'd been laying the groundwork for … Well, what exactly he wasn't sure. Something.

"I did not ask her to take my daughters that morning. It was her idea…"

"Ivy nor Jasmin are the interruption she is worried about. At least I don't think that they are. She, I presume, would like to get back to working her actual job instead of being on loan to me. It sounds as if she is to a point she no longer needs the library and wants to be somewhere familiar while she figures things out. Though I am trying to sway her into staying here."

She was? She hadn't told him that. Why did that idea not fill him with dread but instead … hope? Was he ill? Had he fallen and hit his head? Did he want Hermione Granger underfoot all day, every day?

And yet, he could not ignore the feeling that washed through him at the thought of having her with him ten months out of the year. He liked the idea. He could certainly establish lots of groundwork to prove they were suitable for one another if she was here throughout the school year. Permanently.

"In what capacity?"

"I haven't figured that out yet. I hadn't expected to have need of her services here to where I could try to influence the direction her future might take. This assignment came up, I asked Kingsley for her and Harry, hoping it would give her a taste of being back."

"Minnie," Albus said from his portrait behind her desk.

"Yes, Albus."

"Would you give Severus and me a moment? Perhaps show his daughters the portraits in the conference room. I don't believe they have seen any of those yet."

"Of course," she said, walking to Severus and taking Jasmin from him very easily. Ivy fell into step beside the witch after Severus assured her it was okay. "Hello, Miss Ivy, Jasmin. I understand that you were able to play with James Potter recently. Why don't you tell Aunt Minnie all about that?"

"Kitty!" Jasmin said.

Severus' eyes snapped to the three witches. How was Jasmin familiar with Minerva's animagus form?

"Yes, I suppose I can show you my kitty form. You have to be nice, though."

The last thing he saw before Minerva shut the door was Ivy glancing from him to Albus' portrait and giving the portrait a wave (which he no doubt didn't see given her rather short stature). He was reminded at how distraught she'd gotten upon discovering this Albus was dead.

Severus regarded the portrait, having no idea why his former boss wanted time with him.

"She had been crying when she returned," Albus said from his portrait after an uncomfortable silence fell upon the room. Severus wasn't going to initiate the conversation. He wasn't mad at the old man any longer, but he just really had nothing to say to him.

"I'm sorry." What did that have to do with anything?

"Miss Granger. The reason you stormed in here today. Quite the opposite reaction to her that you had a month ago, I might add. You wanted her gone and quickly from my perspective. Anyway. She'd obviously been crying. That day. She dismissed it as ashes in her eyes, but even from my vantage point I could see that wasn't true."

"Did something happen with Mr. Potter?"

"I don't know, Severus. I'm a portrait. I haven't heard anything said at the Ministry to suggest anything happened, no. Phineas hasn't suggested that either. I do know that she sat down before returning your daughters to you and told Minerva she needed a break from Hogwarts to focus on a spell she's trying to create."

"I see," he said.

"You know, for all the complaining you did about her while she was a student, she is not who I expected you to fall for. Though I suppose it could be an instance of someone protesting too much. Except I know that you wouldn't have thought of her in that way then. Now, though…"

"I have not…"

And yet he could not bring himself to finish the sentence. Albus' telling smirk told him he noticed, too. Because whatever their friendship was, since he'd come to Albus' side he had not lied to the man. Portrait or no, he was not going to start now.

"Mm. Well, then go on back to your quarters, Severus, you got last month's wish. She's gone and will be back sometime to turn in her report to Minnie. I presume then she'll go on her way back to the Ministry. If there are no feelings in play, separation should not be a hardship. I'll tell Minnie to bring Ivy and Jasmin to you when they're done."

He sighed heavily.

"I do not need you meddling."

"I'm not meddling. What would it matter anyway? You don't have feelings for the witch, which you may want to think about the fact that that may be what she believes, too."

"And I am to what?"

"Well, you could visit her, inquire as to her well-being. You were obviously concerned enough to come here today. She might like to hear that."

"That would appear…"

"Too caring? Too concerned? Too human?"

"I don't know where she lives."

"I bet Harry or Ginevra Potter do."

He rolled his eyes.

"I am not going to go traipsing around after a witch who left me!"

"She didn't leave you, Severus. She left Hogwarts, and I imagine likely had a reason to. It's not as if you've told her that you care."

"What do you know of it?"

"I know that if she thought you cared she'd be here."

"I'm sure," he said sardonically.

"You say that and yet. Have you stopped to think she has chosen during her time here to spend her time with you and two small children. She has chosen the three of you over the Longbottoms. Her friends, Severus. Her loyal friends. You have in your grasp, my friend, a chance. You did not have one with Lily. I know you recognize that fact now. If you want to throw it away because of pride. Well, that's on you, Son."

"I am not your son."

"No, but I did more for you than your father ever did. I cared. I know you doubt that, but I did. You were my only friend. You and Minnie, but I told you things I'd never confess or confide in to her."

"What aren't you telling me?"

"I don't know anything. I know she asked me some questions about the map before leaving. She left. She returned obviously having been crying. And it seems based on your conversation just now with Minnie that she's been avoiding you."

"Great," he said.

"Well, again, Severus, you could go talk to her. Her time here will draw to a close, rather quickly unless I'm severely overestimating her tenacity at wanting to figure this problem out. If she is somehow confused about you, you doing nothing to ease that confusion will not encourage her to take any sort of position Minerva might come up with for her here. She is miserably overqualified for what she's doing at the Ministry, but unfortunately Kingsley's hands are tied. No one wants her because they don't want to look incompetent and lazy. Nor do they want to work for someone younger than them when she advances. And there's no one who doubts when she's given an actual chance that she will advance."

Severus' eyes widened slightly. He hadn't stopped to think about what might be holding her up. She'd mentioned being frustrated. She'd told him about being on temporary loan to a different department. He hadn't dug too deep into it. It hadn't really been any of his business. He understood, though. People didn't like looking stupid, certainly not compared to someone twenty-three years old who was Harry Potter's best friend and had the ear of the Minister for Magic. And no one wanted to have a twenty-three year old as a superior that they believed only achieved that position due to her war hero status. Few would care to give her the benefit of the doubt that she deserved any position she got.

"I don't know what to say."

"You could start with the truth."

"I am not prepared for this."

"No one ever is, Severus. However, she will leave and eventually someone will be intelligent enough for her who isn't here and doesn't treat her indifferently."

"I'm not even certain that there is anything…"

"That is what courtship is for."

"Courtship with two children involved."

"You've already involved her with young Ivy and Jasmin, though."

"I have been doing the best that I could."

"I wasn't criticizing. No one's questioning that. Minerva has said nothing bad about your interactions with either girl that she's seen. No one has."

"Thank you."

"However, as wonderful as children are. You deserve all of it."

"What makes you think that her mother and I…"

Albus chuckled. "Because I know you, and I am well aware that Ivy and Jasmin did not come to you in the normal way. I don't know the where or why of it, but I am aware. You would not have allowed yourself the distraction of a relationship. You would not have chanced pregnancy when we were so close to the end. I know you better than that. I hope one day you'll tell me, but regardless you know. Perhaps she knows, too? Now, go talk to Minnie, Severus."

He stood then, walking to the conference room. Minerva was indeed in her cat form. Hermione's cat was in here, too. An indication she didn't intend to be gone forever.

This time the voice inside of him said that it agreed with Albus that he should go talk to the witch.

"Daddy," Jasmin screeched.

"Hello, Jasmin."

"Kitty," she said, pointing at Minerva. "Like Cooks," she said, pointing at Hermione's cat. Interesting that she seemed to differentiate between the two Crookshanks', too. Many wouldn't.

"Yes. That is Miss Hermione's familiar, Crookshanks. Minerva. May I have a moment?"

Just like that in the place of the tabby well known to Severus was Minerva once again.

"I am wondering if you could watch Ivy and Jasmin for a little while. I can have Dabdey bring Jasmin's playpen up here if that is convenient. Ivy is very good at staying out of my way and sitting still."

"Mm," Minerva said. "Are you going to do something stupid or smart?"

"I am undecided yet. Albus suggested I speak to Miss Granger."

"Ah, smart then. Do you need her address?"

"You have it?"

"How else were you going to get there?"

"I was going to stop at the Potters'."

"As much as that would be amusing, I have it." She regarded Ivy and Jasmin for a moment. "They are occupied with Crookshanks. I didn't realize either knew him as well as they do."

Severus hadn't either. Of course they were familiar with the other Crookshanks roaming the castle. Had the two met? Had Hermione seen the other version's familiar? There was one evening he thought she noticed him in his rooms. He managed to distract her before she could ask how her cat got into his rooms.

"I'll get it for you."

"You are sure you're all right with this?"

"I was hoping you would seek her out. I don't know what happened or why, but it's clear it's to do with you."

"I didn't do…"

"Oh, Severus, I didn't say you did anything. Hearts are complicated things. You slowly over that month while she was here and spent time with you became very human to her. You were no longer her professor. I overheard some of your conversations at the head table. You were treating her as you would an equal, a peer, and I'm not sure you saw or realized how much that meant to her. I've watched the two of you. It's very obvious she's grown fond of you and I imagine probably was a bit overwhelmed at acting as mother to Ivy and Jasmin for a morning."

"I suppose."

"I'd like her to stay, Severus, but I fear she needs more than a job offer to convince her a remote Scottish Highlands castle is where she should be."

"Yes," he grimaced. It wouldn't have been his choice at her age either. There was a difference between the two of them. He hadn't had a choice. She did.

She left the room then and Severus stooped to pet Crookshanks, he butted his smooshed face against Severus' knee.

"Mama here?"

"No, Jasmin, I'm sorry. Mummy is not here. I think she left Crookshanks here so he could have some fun in the castle. He likes to hunt."

She toddled to him then and set her hands on his cheeks.

"Dada. Kiss. Kiss"

He reached in then, kissing her.

"Thank you, Jasmin," he said.

Minerva returned then, handing Severus the address.

"Well, then, go, help me convince the witch Hogwarts is where she belongs."

"No pressure."

"I am going to visit Miss Hermione for a while. Miss Minerva will look after you while I am gone. You behave and no going chasing after Crookshanks!"

"Cooks," Jasmin said with a pout.

"Crookshanks has access to places in Hogwarts that Jasmin cannot go," he said, trying to sound stern but her pout was, admittedly, nearly his undoing.

"Dada," she said. Oh, and here came the tears.

"That won't work, Jasmin."

"I really didn't realize she was that acquainted with Hermione's familiar as to be so attached to him."

"I guess I didn't either. I'm not sure it's Crookshanks himself or just a cat."

"Maybe she needs a cat of her own."

"Bite your tongue," he said, but if it would make the tears and pouting stop he would probably give the girl anything she wanted. Of course she and Ivy did have a cat of their own even if she still saw him as her mother's.

"Ivy," he said, regarding the oldest girl. "Please mind Miss Minerva and ensure your sister doesn't chase Crookshanks."

"I will, Father," she said.

"You both be good now." He stood. "Thank you, Minerva."

"You're welcome. Do you know the location of the address?"

"I am familiar with the area, yes. Do you mind if I use your floo to get to the Leaky?"

"No, go ahead."

Severus left then, used the floo to the Leaky Cauldron, changed his robes into a coat, and then apparated to an appropriate point near her muggle flat. He found her building, rang the bell that he presumed would signal to her in her flat she had a caller.

‘Hello.'

"It is Severus. Are you free?"

Silence. That wasn't a good sign. Was it?

‘Severus?'

"Yes."

"What book did I first read to Jasmin and Ivy?"

He rolled his eyes. Not that he could fault her for being cautious. Who in their right mind would try to get to her pretending to be him? And think he would say his first name and not Professor Snape?

" Where's Spot? by Eric Hill," he said.

A buzzing sound started to emit from the speaker unit and he heard a click at the door to his right. He opened it and made his way up the stairs to the third floor where he presumed her 3A apartment was.

She was standing in her doorway when he got there. At first glance she looked rather harried. He recognized the look from her days as a student and from looking in his mirror more than a few times over the years.

"Are Ivy and Jasmin all right?"

"Yes," he said.

"Okay. Minerva?"

"Fine. I left the girls with her. They enjoyed some time with Minerva in her tabby form and your Crookshanks. I was surprised he was still there."

"Oh, yes. I couldn't find him when I left. I knew I'd be back so…" She wasn't being entirely truthful. He could tell by the shifting of her eyes. He wondered why she'd lie about her familiar.

Best to get on with it then. Here goes nothing.

"Did I do something wrong that I didn't warrant a goodbye?"

"Are you asking for you or your daughters?"

"They miss you I am sure, but it was me who spoke with you at meals and most evenings prior to your departure."

"I'm sure you'll make do, Severus. I do have a job…"

"Which you are on leave from. On loan to Hogwarts."

"So you care because as headmaster by proxy or whatever you are you believe that I was not pulling my weight…"

As if that would ever be an issue with this witch.

"No. I said nothing remotely like that. Clearly, something got crossed."

"You used me," she said softly.

He stared at her for a moment. It was ironic she said that because he was about to say he missed her. To say something that would expose him. Expose the need he'd come to have for this witch. Damn the other version of herself for planting the seed. He didn't like feeling these things. Missing a witch. He had no idea how he'd used her though?

"I'm sorry?"

What was she talking about? He hadn't done anything inappropriate with, to, or in front of her.

"No, I'm sorry. I thought you liked me."

She did? Was he that obvious? Thought implied past tense. What had he done to make her think he didn't? He didn't think he'd done anything. So, what had happened? Had Harry said something? Ginevra? Ronald? The Longbottoms? He really had no idea.

"What makes you think that you were incorrect in thinking so?"

"You don't like me . You like what I represent to Ivy and Jasmin."

He glanced away from her, down the hall where another flat's entrance obviously was.

"May I actually come in so we might talk like adults?"

"I don't really have much to say, but," she didn't seem so certain at the moment. There she went nibbling on that lower lip. A gesture that drove him absolutely mad ten years ago and now after watching Ivy and Jasmin do it the past two months he found it wasn't nearly as irritating as he once thought. She stepped back into the flat, holding the door open for him.

"Thank you," he said.

"Um," she said. "I can take your coat."

"Thank you," he said, shedding it, transfiguring it back to his robes, and handing it to her. 

He watched as she hung it in a small closet behind her door.

He followed her then to what he presumed was her living room, but looked very much like a tornado or bomb had gone off inside of it.

He regarded the notebooks and books and the map, though it would do her no good here, that occupied just about every inch of the room. There was even a … was that? Yes, it was a replica of The Veil. Very small, but surprisingly accurate given the fact he wasn't sure she'd seen it since the night Black became a victim to it.

And been hit with a curse herself to where he wouldn't be surprised if memories of that night and what happened were fuzzy or forgotten.

What in the devil was she researching?

He took in her appearance then. Really looked at her.

She looked tired, unkempt, and as if she hadn't been doing anything but looking at books for very likely the entire month she'd been missing from Hogwarts.

"You killing yourself for Minerva's secret assignment is not going to make her feel very good," he said.

"Actually, I already have the answer to Minerva's question. More or less. I'm trying to figure out if I can do what I thought about."

"Which is," he said. He shook his head. "Scratch that. First, before I forget my manners completely. Go, clean yourself up."

"That's remembering your manners?"

He rolled his eyes. "I suppose I could see how it might sound as if I'm doing the exact opposite. I will put on some tea, I assume the makings are in your kitchen that I saw." He gestured to the open doorway off the hall he'd seen lead to a room that resembled a kitchen.

She opened her mouth, clearly not sure how to react to this request of his.

"Are you saying you don't like the way I look?"

Oh.

Was that how she took it? He really was not good at this.

"No, I didn't say that at all. I do like the way you look, Hermione. It's just that it's clear you haven't stuck your head out of a book in a while. So, go, clean up, I'll put on some tea, and then we can talk like adults who enjoy one another's company."

She scoffed with a shake of her head, muttering something that he couldn't decipher. She headed away from him, though, with no hexes aimed his way toward what he presumed was her bedroom. He heard the sounds of water running a moment later and then turned to the kitchen. He rolled up his sleeves before seeing to tea and looked around some.

"Dabdey," he called.

"Mister calls," Dabdey said.

"Will you bring me some appropriate tea foods promptly?"

"Of course, Sir," he said with a bow before popping away.

Before she was done with her shower her dishes had been cleaned (this was Severus' doing) and her kitchen straightened up. Dabdey had gone through and done what he could with various items that could be picked up around her living room without disturbing what was obviously her work. Severus had ordered him to stay out of her private areas.

An empty bag of crisps, for instance, did not need to be sandwiched between a book on the Veil and one on the psyche.

He asked himself more than once as they picked their way through the chaos what she was working on exactly. He'd assumed it was something to do with Ivy and Jasmin, but surely that wouldn't lead her to researching The Veil. Would it?

A small plate of meats, cheeses, and crackers as well as an assortment of fruit had been left for them to enjoy with their tea. He wondered if she'd seen fruit in a month.

"Okay, as rude as it is to walk into someone's home unexpectedly and tell them to clean up, that did feel wonder…" she stopped. "You were busy."

"Actually, Dabdey and I were, but yes."

"Um, thank you," she said, regarding him curiously.

"You are welcome. The water is hot and there are some snacks as you can see if you'd like to indulge me in some conversation."

"Yes, let me," she turned then, regarding her living room. She slid her wand out of its holster and went to work organizing the room so that they could each sit. He watched as she meticulously put certain things in a definite place and order. He shook his head, understanding. He would be particular himself. It was why he hadn't attempted to do more than rid this area of obvious rubbish items.

Together they brought the tea and food into the living room.

He watched as she prepared her tea and then he did the same.

He had no idea where to start. A couple of months with two children under the age of six did not an expert on discussing feelings make him. This witch was not a child. This witch was someone he could potentially be … happy with. The idea of him ever finding happiness really hadn't occurred to him. Ironic, it took her visiting him from another universe and finding out that that version of himself had seemingly been happy with her despite marrying her when she was still his student to make him think about it at all. Regardless. It had planted the seed. He was sort of hoping they wouldn't have to talk about anything, that she would just find herself by his side and liking it.

"I was not prepared for you to be kind to me," he said simply.

She looked … hurt.

"I have never been anything but."

"You are correct, but I had been almost primarily anything but."

"When I was a student. More than six years ago. When you were a spy. When no one trusted you."

"Yes, well, be that as it may. My thought still holds. You aided me in finding suitable books for my daughters. You gave me some of your own that with your parents on another continent because of the war I'm sure were not easy to part with. You bought them a book you thought they would both get something out of with relation to one another. A book they do enjoy, by the way. Ivy far more than Jasmin, but I imagine one day she will enjoy it as much as Ivy does. And then Ivy will be too old for it."

"You're right," she said softly.

"I didn't ask you to do those things, though."

"No, but you knew."

"Knew what."

"Who I represented to them, Severus!"

He stared at her for a moment, certain he had heard wrong. How did she know? Did Ivy tell her the day she took them to the Potters'? Was that what led to her leaving? Ivy inadvertently said something and she didn't want to have anything to do with him?

"I know," she said simply. "Something Headmaster Dumbledore's portrait said actually got me thinking. I may as well tell you since we both know how they got here. I mean I guess I don't know without a doubt, but I have drawn conclusions. Minerva was concerned that someone, somehow breached Hogwarts' wards because no one believed you'd left the property the day that Ivy and Jasmin were brought to you."

"Go on," he said simply.

"She didn't want a full blown auror investigation. Just assurance the wards hadn't failed. Harry and I were tasked with seeing what we could find. As far as I know, Kingsley is the only other person who knows.  Well, Ginny and Ron know about the girls, but haven't and won't tell anyone. Me through books. Harry through the map. She was thinking maybe a tunnel had been created since the war or something."

"Right," he said, nodding.

Plausible but doubtful. She knew better, too, because she'd know if Hogwarts was being altered. Then, maybe she wouldn't. There were still times Hogwarts did not respond to her as it should being its headmistress. That was the reason he was still there! Of course if he hadn't been, he shuddered to think of what would have happened with Ivy and Jasmin the day their mother brought them to Hogwarts. What would she have done? Left them with an elf? No, she would have insured Severus was still at Hogwarts before just leaving them. He was sure of that.

"I realized the night before I took them to Harry's with me that I never saw them on the map. I really wasn't looking for either of them. I had no reason to, as I knew where both were. Generally speaking, they are either with you or in your rooms."

"Yes." Obvious, but accurate.

"But that night it dawned on me that I never saw them but should as I started wondering if there was a way I could use the map to track magical signatures."

"To see who had been in Hogwarts on the day they arrived that shouldn't have been."

"Right."

"Which would only lead to…"

"Me," she said. "I think I would have realized what it meant, maybe not exactly. My instinct would have gone to a future me."

"Plausible." That's where his mind would likely have taken him, too.

"But the headmaster when I asked about it mentioned wanting to know where they were from. He was very specific, well, as specific as he ever is. He didn't say when, he said where. So, that led me to believe time travel wasn't involved."

He chuckled. Oh, she'd caught on to his way of talking and making it sound as if he was providing information and being cooperative, but in reality he was withholding pertinent information. Okay, not all of the time, but often enough.

"That combined with Jasmin insisting on calling me Mama and Ivy hugging me the way she does. They're more than just friendly hugs. They recognize people they shouldn't. Jasmin and Ivy know Albus, or seem to. They seemed to recognize Harry and know of his scar. Ivy knew about Walburga's portrait. After we left Harry's we stopped here. I ran a diagnostic screening on them…"

"Ah," he said. "I imagine you were more accepting of the results than I was."

"I ran it twice."

"I think I ran it close to a dozen times that first weekend."

"I can imagine."

"So where does the using you come into play?"

"I don't know. You said nothing! You knew why they favoured me and used that to get yourself some relief."

"Not so. It had been over a week the first time they saw you. The first few times caused Jasmin in particular to go into a fit so severe I had all that I could do to placate her. So, my thinking the first time was, sit with you at dinner. Let them see their mum and hopefully alleviate the jags. It worked. I am the one who had to soothe them."

"I would have helped if you'd said something!"

"I assumed you'd think I was absolutely unhinged."

She was quiet, seeming to think over that counterpoint. She nodded a bit, nibbling on that lower lip as her eyes darted around the room. She wasn't looking for anything in particular.

"The diagnostics… And well, that charm is mine."

"I presume so. On the backpack, you mean? It's not mine, but I recognized what it was. I assume because he knows."

"It is interesting, isn't it?"

"The idea that I fathered a child…"

"Oh, I can imagine how that made you feel. She assured me you behaved like a gentleman."

"I'm sorry?" What in the hell did that mean? Had that Hermione visited her after all? If she had and still left both girls with him… Not that he was upset now , but two months ago he sure was.

"There was a letter…"

He scoffed.

"Of course there was."

"Would you like to read it?"

"I had my own."

"I assumed you did. Anyway, she had nothing bad to say about you. It was war, Severus. Honestly, I can see myself making the same decision."

"And I would likely have had the same reaction to it all."

"I know you would have. She stressed it truly bothered you and I have no doubt that it did." She shifted a bit, bringing her feet under her as she did. "Forget Ivy and Jasmin. I created something like that. A portal. We could work on it together, figuring out what she did. She told me I can't try to find her, but I want to know! I deserved to know I created something like that! Were you ever going to tell me?"

"I don't know! You have at least some experience with children: Edward, James, and Victoire. I have none. I was getting acclimated. My thought was not to deceive you, or use you as you seem to see it, but allow Ivy and Jasmin time to adjust to me. Neither was used to living with their father. It wasn't even the fact that it was this me. It seemed clear neither saw their father daily that they would remember."

"It sounds as if they'd been separated but weekly meetings for years, so yes."

He set his cup down and moved toward her, kneeling on the floor in front of where she sat.

"I am not good at … emotional things, Hermione. I have been so busy worrying about permanently scarring Ivy and Jasmin that I hadn't taken the time to notice how much I enjoyed your company. It wasn't until you were no longer studying in my lab that I found it altogether too quiet."

She laughed at that.

"Yes, well," he nodded, finding her hand and taking it. "Honestly, it would probably be easier if you weren't near us. I mean, have you stopped to think what people are going to think if they hear Jasmin call you Mum?"

She was still biting on her lower lip a bit and he gave into temptation, taking heart that she hadn't snapped her hand away from his. He leaned in and she gave a small gasp which bolstered his bravado more than just a little bit before claiming her mouth with his.

He'd never kissed someone like this before. Desire. Want. Attraction. It'd always been an expected part of coitus encounters. Why a woman would be fine with a nameless one night stand but want kissing involved in such a transaction (and though no money changed hands he'd never considered them more than that) always baffled him. He'd never felt comfortable with it so admittedly his encounters were probably not as numerous as a man his age should be able to lay claim to.

This, though, as she snuck her free hand to his shoulder. Well, as she gave a soft hmm he could understand why people would want this. (It was also, he supposed, why it had baffled him until now. He had never cared for any of those women and, at least in his mind, kissing was personal. Something that was a symbol of closeness. Something he had never had.)

He brushed his lips against her cheek and jaw once he broke the kiss.

"I liked your presence, that Ivy and Jasmin were the catalyst for that occurring was happenstance. Without either of them it wouldn't have occurred, though."

She gave a soft gasp, sliding the hand at his shoulder to his neck touching him there. He winced slightly, but refrained from pulling away or reacting in a manner suggesting he didn't want her to touch him.

"I know," she whispered. "Is this okay?"

He chuckled softly, finding her jaw. "I should be asking you that, shouldn't I?"

"No, I meant," she said, grazing a finger under his ear.

"I would have stopped you if it wasn't."

"Okay." She laughed then and he drew away with a scowl. "No, don't, Severus. I'm not laughing at you. I'm just rather glad you had me go shower now."

He gave a soft snort. "Yes, well, you looked as though you hadn't taken a break in quite some time."

"I haven't."

"Why are you working so hard on this, Hermione, if you know the truth? We can go to Minerva now, tell her, and you could return to the Ministry if you wanted to."

"I want to create the spell! Both of them!"

He nodded a bit, leaning in to kiss the tip of her nose. "Of course you do."

"You want me to leave?"

"No, but your job is there last I checked and you have the solution. I would suggest we summon Minerva to my quarters versus revealing the situation in her office."

"And you will tell her the truth?"

"I dare say I should at this point. I presumed whatever you and Potter were tasked with doing had to do with the girls' sudden arrival, but I wasn't sure what. She never asked me. Not about how exactly they got there."

"She probably didn't think she'd get a direct answer out of you."

"I suppose not." He drew away slightly. "If we do this, Hermione, we can't change our minds."

"Um," she said, eyes widening.

Too late, he realized what he said might sound as if he was implying.

"With regard to Ivy and Jasmin…"

"Oh," she said and he chuckled at the blush that followed.

"I just meant, we have no idea if she, the other you, will return. It seemed rather dire, and I suspect she - you - wouldn't have given Ivy and Jasmin up lightly. So that leads me to be inclined to believe she will not return. You can't disappear on them again even if you no longer wish to tolerate my presence. If she does show up. Well…"

"She said something about that in her letter to me. She wasn't sure if she would, depending on how much time passed, not wanting to be unfair to you or the girls."

"Or you."

"Well, the letter was written under the assumption I'd figure it out. If I hadn't I wouldn't know. I mean, obviously, but you know what I mean."

"Where is the brightest witch of her age now?"

She gave a soft laugh. "You are distracting me!"

"Am I? I haven't even done anything!"

"Says the man who just kissed me and is still very close to me, smelling divine."

He paused at that. "You think I smell divine?"

"Mm, did I say that out loud?"

He scoffed. "Yes. Well, if it means anything, brushing out Ivy and Jasmin's hair has given me a newfound fascination for yours."

"Oh?"

"Mm hmm," he murmured, finding her jaw again. "How it would feel to run my fingers through it. My thoughts hadn't gotten to scent, but I will bow to your choice in words. Divine."

"It's just muggle shampoo."

"I like it just the same."

"Thank you."

She sounded flustered. Breathless.

He had caused that. With a kiss and a compliment.

How strange.

It was both humbling and exhilarating to be responsible for such a thing.

"If Minerva thought of a suitable position for you would you take it?"

"I don't know."

"Why not?"

"Well, I'd want more than a suitable position."

"Unlimited access to myself, Ivy, and Jasmin isn't incentive?"

"Oh, God, Severus, I cannot make a career decision because of a kiss, but yes I would consider the right position."

"Then bring your books and things, come back."

"That sounded very Professor Snape-like."

"Your familiar misses you."

"I miss him, too. There's two of him, isn't there?"

"There is. He was sent with them. Come back with me. We can talk all night if you wish."

"My flat isn't good enough?"

He lifted his head away from her face and neck, not that he wanted to.

"Ivy and Jasmin are not here and while your excursion with them is the only other time I've been away from either of them I don't want to give the impression to anyone…"

"I understand," she said. She cupped his cheek, grazing it with her thumb. She was thinking something. He wasn't sure what. He figured she'd say what was on her mind when she was ready.

"Why did you come here?"

"I was confused. I didn't know what I had done. I thought maybe something had happened at the Potters' home that caused you to reconsider an association with us. Me."

"No, they were actually very good with them. I would tell Harry, you know. I can't keep that from him."

"Yes, well, first we must tell Minerva."

"I didn't plan on telling him tomorrow."

"That is exceptionally good to know. I'm not sure how he's going to react to finding out I married and bedded a version of you that was fifteen. I'd rather not start this off being challenged to a duel by your best friend."

"Oh, this is something starting?"

"If I didn't make my intentions clear. Yes, I'd very much like to find out where these new … feelings take us."

She gave a soft laugh then, reaching up a bit to kiss him. "You've never?"

He cleared his throat, unsure what specifically she was asking him. "I have never had a relationship, the one that existed only in my head you are aware of included."

"I haven't been on a date in over a year."

"Why ever not?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. No one I wanted to go out with asked me."

"If I wasn't as familiar with you as I am I would question your sanity."

"Well, you haven't actually asked me out on a date, Mr. Sure Of Yourself."

"Mm. Well, your absence thankfully bypassed Valentine's Day. So, I will strive to come up with some sort of idea for a date."

"In exchange for me coming to Hogwarts tonight?"

"Well, yes, precisely. Tit for tat."

Her eyes got a look in them he hadn't been on the receiving end of for a long time, if ever.

Seductive, as she reached for his hand and settled it at her chest over her muggle sweatshirt that advertised something he was not familiar with.

"Speaking of…"

The man in him who had very little experience with closeness in his life warred with the gentleman in him trying to tell him that he should not be touching this witch like this so soon.

And yet, she had placed his hand here. She had full control over her faculties.

Truth be told, he'd never had a witch initiate such a move before. It was incredibly arousing.

He wholeheartedly approved of this witch making such a move.

The man won, but he was fairly certain the gentleman wasn't all that disappointed in the decision made.

"Did you wish for me to actually do this? Or are you trying to distract me away from returning to Hogwarts?"

"Is it working?"

He chuckled. "I do know of someone, two actually, who probably missed you more than I did. In a different way, mind you. If you were of the mind to continue this line of thought tonight I could be swayed to engage in much more tit."

"You saying that should not affect me the way it does."

"Well?"

She sighed, pouting a bit before biting that lower lip. "Fine. You can go ahead of me if you'd like. I need to …"

He drew his hand away only then, knowing he wasn't being at all subtle about eyeing the spot his hand had just been.

"I can assist and then I can show you how that privilege of being able to apparate into Hogwarts works."

"Oh!" Her eyes lit up in a way that made him chuckle. "How can I resist such an offer?"

"Well, some might be able to, but you I counted on being unable to refuse."

He leaned in, kissing her again. He could get … used to this. Kisses. Closeness for its sake and nothing more.

"How are Ivy and Jasmin?" she murmured when he drew away.

"They are well. I do think both will be relieved to see you, but especially Jasmin."

"It hurt so much when I thought you were just using me as a means to an end. Something to keep them occupied."

"It seems three witches have wormed their way into my heart."

"Three of them? You are a rich man indeed then."

"I will be very curious just what else the older of the three witches will worm into."

"I'm glad you specified, but I'm not sure there's anything more of yours for me to worm my way into."

"Oh, I don't know about that. I have something very specific in mind for your return to Hogwarts. Namely my bed and blankets." He chuckled at the almost wicked smile that comment earned him. "I will admit they are both quite the heater. They have both fallen asleep on or next to me more than once. I swear I could do without a fire when that happens."

"James is like that, too. I love it when he does that. Snuggles in. Those deep sighs and cooing sounds that tell you they trust you and are content with what you've just done. And yes, he is very warm, too."

"Yes, I am coming to be familiar with these things." He moved a bit, finding one of her curls and wrapping it around his finger. "I'd like to hear your sounds more, I think."

"Mm, don't let them hear you say that."

"When they are older I'm sure they will be grateful to know I wanted to hear your sounds not theirs."

Hermione laughed softly at that. "You're probably right."

"All right, Hermione, what do you need my help with so that we can return?"

"Nothing really. Let me grab my bag and I'll be pretty much ready."

"That's all you need?"

"Everything will go into the bag," she said with a roll of her eyes.

"Of course it will. Since you are no longer spending all of your time in the library would you be offended if I asked Minerva to have your quarters moved closer to mine?"

"Offended? Probably disappointed if you didn't."

"I'd hate to disappoint you so soon."

He took care of the patronus for that request while she went to her room to collect her bag and presumably what else she'd want. He watched a little guiltily when she returned to the living room and started sorting through the piles she'd made to accommodate him. He knew, though, that he wouldn't want someone else going through his papers and putting them in a bag so he left her to it. He decided to do something productive, however, and brought the tea and snacks Dabdey had gotten for them to the kitchen. They'd each nibbled a bit, but there was plenty left over.

"Will you eat this later?" he called from the kitchen.

"Yes, bring it with us. It'll just go bad here. There are storage bags in the drawer to the left of the oven."

"Got it," he said, finding the bags in question and proceeded to put the various items into the bags for later. Likely, he'd join her in depleting the leftovers. He imagined Ivy and even Jasmin might, too.

"I'm not sure Ronald or Neville would have found them," she called out from the living room. He snorted at that.

"Now it's me who is potentially offended."

She laughed softly. "Just finding the differences between the various wizards in my life intriguing."

"Well, Longbottom is married…"

"I didn't say romantic wizards in my life, Severus. You have spent a good portion of your life since you were eleven in the magical versus muggle world. In fact, I'd say most of your students didn't know you were half-blood until after the war. That's all."

"I understand," he said, finishing that task and setting the plate and tea items to washing while he brought her the bags.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome. Would you have come back?"

She frowned a bit. "Of course I would have. For you? I don't know. I really felt like I'd totally misread your interest and that hurt. I see Harry and Neville happy, and I'm thrilled for them but I just really did not do well dating. And I have to do that to get to the point of marriage. One day," she added quickly and he chuckled. "Not to mention being confusing, so I can't say if I would have for you. I'd like to say I would have, but my disastrous experiences probably would have told me not to." She shrugged. "I've been in such a rut so it was sort of fitting that I'd see interest where there was none beyond being a suitable distraction for Ivy and Jasmin."

He slid a hand to her cheek. "Would you like to compare ruts?"

She laughed, pressing her cheek against his palm before moving her head a bit so she could kiss him there. It made something inside of him want to preen that he had done something to be on the receiving end of such a gesture by her.

"Oh, you like that," she murmured, kissing his palm again.

"I do," he murmured. Was he supposed to deny that? Hide it? He did not want to! He very much wanted her to touch and kiss every inch of him. And he wanted to watch her do it.

"I'm not sure I've ever seen your eyes look at me like that before."

"Keep doing that and I assure you that you will see them look at you in that way often."

"A worthwhile goal, for certain. All right, let me get my coat and then I think I'm ready since Crooks is already there."

"It seems, speaking of your familiar. We'll have to tell Minerva both are there."

"Oh?"

"Ivy and Jasmin clearly recognize him and that surprised her."

"You know, it's funny you say that. They recognized Harry, but from the letter she wrote to me. I didn't get the impression anyone ever saw Ivy but you and the headmaster. Ivy mentioned their mother had told them about him. Obviously no one but you would have seen Jasmin."

"That is the impression I get as well."

"So, how would she know Harry? His scar I mean? Jasmin gestured like she was making a lightning bolt."

"Pictures? Especially if you were alone and in hiding for years I wager you likely told both of them all sorts of stories about your friends and school. Showed them papers and such."

"I suppose you're right," she said. "It was the only explanation."

He dropped his hand to his side then, watching as she walked through her flat once again. She was obviously checking to ensure she hadn't forgotten anything and that everything that needed to be shut off or closed was.

She returned to him with her coat on and handed his robes to him.

"You won't need it."

She shrugged. "Habit, it's winter!"

"So it is. All right. Grab on and do not let go. If you are not with me, the wards will basically kick you out. You'll end up on the Lake and I'm not sure it wouldn't ensure you hit the weakest spot of ice."

"Well, there's something I'd rather not live again," she said. She slid her arms around his waist then, settling her head against his chest. "Is this okay?"

It was wonderful, but he was too proud to say that. At least yet. "It will do. Ready?"

"Mm hmm," she said.

Three things happened almost simultaneously upon their return.

Ivy and Jasmin flung themselves at the back of Hermione's knees, grabbing on for dear life.

Crookshanks (his not hers) seemed to be a partner in crime in this endeavour by circling the four of them, brushing against each of the eight legs available to him.

Minerva cried out "Warn a witch next time, Severus!"

"I assumed my patronus would do that for me."

"Severus Snape!"

"Why else would I send a patronus with such a message if we weren't on the verge of returning?"

"You left via floo and I'm not sure that I've ever seen you apparate into Hogwarts."

"Welcome back, Miss Granger," Albus said from his portrait. His tone reflected the fact he was amused.

"Thank you, Headmaster." Her hands were at either side of Jasmin's head he noticed, smoothing down the girl's hair. "Hello, Jasmin," she said. "I see you and Ivy have found Crookshanks."

"Cook!"

She gave a soft laugh. Did she know it wasn't her Crookshanks? "Yes, I imagine Crookshanks is rather difficult to say. Whatever was I thinking naming him that!"

"Minerva. Will you give me a minute to get the girls settled and join me in my quarters."

"You want me to join you?"

He nodded simply. "I think that would be easiest and best, yes."

"Very well. Thirty minutes?"

"That should be more than sufficient. My request was taken care of?"

"Yes, Hermione's room is now accessible from the same alcove yours is."

"Excellent," he said. "Let's go to our rooms now then, my witches. Thank Miss Minerva for watching you."

Jasmin waved to the witch while Ivy said thank you as the four of them left the office. Crookshanks' followed, but went his own way once it was clear they were headed toward the dungeons.

The alcove in question did indeed now contain the entrance to her guest accommodations. Only, now it seemed there was a door leading to the alcove instead of the usual tapestry that had been there for years.

"I suppose they don't want anyone stumbling upon us," Hermione said.

He snorted softly as he keyed the wards to her so she could get through the door as well.

The door to her rooms was just to the right when they walked through, opening inward. His was just ahead like usual.

"I guess this means I don't have to shut my door anymore," she said.

"Only if you truly wish to be secluded from us."

"Did Minerva do this?"

"I do not think so."

"Interesting," she said.

"Yes, I have long ago stopped trying to figure out how Hogwarts knows things," he shrugged, setting Jasmin down. "Is it acceptable? You can keep your door shut all that you want."

"It's fine." She sounded sincere so he could only assume she was.

"Do you want to come with me into my rooms, girls?" This question was accompanied by an offered hand, which Jasmin took. Severus couldn't help but notice how much easier it was for Jasmin to walk with Hermione than him given their difference in height.

He looked in on the three of them about the time Minerva was due. They were sitting together on Hermione's sofa. He wanted to join them sooner, but knew they deserved time with her. He had all night to spend with her.

"This is my mummy and daddy," she said.

This was said as she set a muggle photograph on the side table.

"We, or I suppose you I guess I shouldn't invite myself along, should go to Australia one day, don't you think?"

"Yes, I've spent the last month trying to figure out how to tell them. What to tell them!"

"I do not have this problem so it hadn't occurred to me until this moment how odd that will be for them. And for you."

"To say the least."

"Minerva should be here shortly."

"Right," she said, helping Jasmin off of the sofa.

"To your room for a little bit, girls."

Jasmin shook her head, and waved her hand at Hermione, clearly asking the witch to come with her.

"I'll come play with you in a little bit. We have to talk to Miss Minerva for a while."

She pouted and Severus saw tears in her eyes, but Hermione walked with her to her room. "I promise we'll play when we're done."

"No bye?"

"No bye bye. I won't leave without saying goodbye again. I'm sorry I did that. That wasn't very nice. I promise that neither of you did anything wrong," Hermione said. Hermione turned to Ivy then and hugged her. "I'm sorry I left like that."

"It's okay, Mummy."

"I missed you both."

"We missed you, too."

***

Minerva stared at the two of them. Hermione was pretty sure if it was anyone but the two of them sitting here telling her what they'd just revealed to her that she'd think they were playing a joke on her. That George had put them up to something.

"May I cast the diagnostics myself?"

"Of course," Severus said. "I assumed you would and would honestly have asked you to do so if you didn't suggest it."

"So you're telling me, assuring me, that it was another universe's Hermione that gained access into Hogwarts? No one else?"

"That is what I'm telling you. I presume she had access based on Hermione telling me she revealed in her letter that she had permission to apparate. I would assume the wards aren't that drastically different in this universe, therefore allowing her entry. A correct assumption based on the fact that she got in here."

"Yes," Minerva said, standing and approaching the door to Jasmin's room. "Miss Jasmin," she called.

"Kitty!"

"No, no kitty time right now. I'm going to point my wand at you for a moment. It won't hurt."

She stood still, watching Minerva's wand with interest, probably expecting her to move it in some way.

"This indicates you are dead, Severus," she said softly. Clearly not liking that idea. In truth, he did not like it much himself. That seemed to suggest that Hermione's fear was correct. If he was dead, where would she go? He doubted she'd had the opportunity to go to university or anything. So, what would she do in an attempt to survive?

"It did not when they arrived and as her letter was dated April 5, she obviously didn't know for certain where he was. He apparently died shortly after her bringing them here, going by the date of April 10."

She seemed to think on this. It was the only plausible explanation. That Severus was dead.

"Why did you leave and why have you returned if you already knew the answer, Hermione?"

"Because I want to know if the idea I thought of could work."

"Finding out if you could see who had been somewhere on the map?"

"Yes. I just want to know."

Minerva chuckled with a shake of her head.

"Yes, well. I have come up with an idea that could lead to your staying here at Hogwarts if that is what you desire."

"Oh?" Hermione said. She was curious, he could tell. She didn't think she was cut out to be a professor she'd told him. And who would she relieve? He didn't know the answer to that, and she wouldn't like the idea she'd put someone out of a job. Maybe with some more time to adjust she'd be ready for a position like that. He thought she'd make a competent professor.

"Well, it would be temporary until I can come up with something more permanent."

She sighed heavily at that.

"Oh, don't look like that. When I say temporary, I don't mean weeks or months."

"Okay," she said, bringing Ivy onto her lap once she came to Hermione after she apparently realized Minerva wasn't going to do what she'd done to Jasmin.

"Well, I would like to get a feel for what our students would like to see here."

"See?"

"Yes. In all of my years I don't think anyone's consulted the students. Do they want a Halloween dance every year? Perhaps there's something else they'd like to do instead. Not just extracurricular activities. I'd like their opinions on classes and coursework as well. As well as the items available to them at Diagon Alley."

"Okay."

"I would want you to interview every student and the staff as well. And report to me your findings as far as what the students would like to get from Hogwarts including and yet beyond education."

"You want me to talk to four hundred students?"

"Yes. You will gather their answers and I assume be able to compile them into a concise breakdown I can review and present to the Board."

"Um. Okay," Hermione said. She did not sound convinced. He actually thought it was a good idea. It would keep her busy and give Minerva an opportunity to find something more permanent. And give her the chance to find out if she wanted to remain here.

"I imagine being it's March that you will not finish this project this year. I would suggest trying to get to all of the seventh years before June. Bear in mind they're studying for NEWTs so don't make your appointments too lengthy. Find out if they felt there was anything lacking in their Hogwarts' experience. Is there something they wished had been done? I also have a list of a few students that have chosen other schools over Hogwarts. I'd like you to correspond with, visit even if necessary, them and find out why. It might be as simple as the war, but I want to know."

"Okay," Hermione said.

"I have a Deputy Headmaster," she said, gesturing to Severus. "He is, of course, busy between his classes, brewing, and now the girls."

"Right."

"What I don't have is an assistant. Someone who can help me keep better track of things. Help me get the information I need for my meetings so that I am prepared to the best of my abilities so that our students and therefore magical Britain doesn't fail. I know you can do so much more than be an assistant, so this would not be permanent. It would be a means to have you here with us while we come up with something that is, in fact, permanent for you. If after doing this you find you'd like to. You might discover you don't wish to and then I'll have tailored a position for you for nothing."

"Can I think about it?"

"You can, of course. You still have your spell to figure out."

"Well, yes."

"So, I am the only one who knows aside from the two of you?"

"Yes, I told Severus I'd tell Harry when I think it's appropriate. For now, just you."

"And you are not going to attempt to return them, Severus?"

"Return them to what? Clearly, that Hermione acted in what she believed to be their best interest. And likely self-defense, not wanting to be torn between what to do with her daughters and her. Or worse, one daughter against another. No, I'm not going to go off half-cocked trying to open portals to a world where there is danger. She brought them here, to me, for a reason. Whatever parameters she set for the spell she cast to open the portal brought Ivy and Jasmin to me."

"Oh, I'd think you're an absolute fool if you did, but I also know you and that you might wish to attempt to help."

"No, I've fought my own wars, thank you. I cannot go to every possible universe and fight theirs, too. I won't deny I thought about it, but I don't know her universe. I don't know the history, my role in it, and so on. So, it'd be a fool's errand. Besides," he said, gesturing to Ivy still on Hermione's lap. "She and Jasmin have given me something to live for I hadn't thought I'd ever have."

"And, Hermione, I must ask… You feel no obligation?"

"Of course not. I mean, yes, there is a sense of obligation, but no. I'm not going to make life altering decisions irrationally. We're not getting married tomorrow, Minerva. I like Severus. I like the girls. That's what I'm going with for now."

"Yes, but your quarters…"

"I still have a lockable door. I didn't ask Hogwarts to do this," she said, gesturing in the direction of where she would now gain access to the guest quarters she'd been assigned. "I promise you I'm not rushing into anything."

"And I would request this not be revealed to anyone, Minerva. Least of all any portrait. They may be dead but they still gossip."

"I understand. I appreciate you both coming clean with me. I was admittedly worried."

"If you had just told me," Severus said.

"And you would have been honest with me two months ago when they just got here?"

He gave an exasperated sounding huff. "Likely not. I spent the first day or two insisting I'd find a way to return them."

"And now?"

He sighed with a shake of his head.

"Now I'm already starting to wonder how it will feel if she returns for them."

"I imagine that won't be easy, for any of you. All right. I have things to tend to. It's probably a relief in a way for them, Ivy especially, that they don't have to hide and be so careful any longer. Hermione, come up with your spell and come talk to me. Or if you need a break from it, come talk to me. I really would like to get started with the seventh years'."

"Of course," Hermione said.

"Severus, walk me out?"

"Of course, Minerva."



He shook his head slightly, presumably at the fact that currently Ivy and Jasmin didn't seem bothered by the fact he was leaving the room because Hermione was here. She smiled a bit at that, glad in truth the girls weren't upset with her. She probably should have handled things better than she had. Even if Severus wasn't interested in her, she shouldn't have just left them.

He returned a few minutes later and looked very much as if he might be blushing. How absolutely adorable. An adjective describing any part of him she'd keep entirely to herself.

He walked to the other side of the room, pouring himself a drink it seemed.

"Are you going to tell me what that was about?"

"No, beyond in a broad way she indicated she's pleased I have the potential for happiness."

And that made him blush? She opened her mouth and he shook his head.

"Perhaps another time, Hermione?"

"Yeah, sure," she said, but she was really really curious now.

"It's nothing bad, I assure you. What I said was the broad strokes of her statement. Bear in mind she has known me for over thirty years."

"I understand." She turned her attentions back to Ivy still seated on her lap. "So, Miss Minerva is gone. Are you ready to play?"

Jasmin toddled up to her on steadier feet than even a month ago. It was fascinating to watch. She didn't see James daily so it was new to her.

"Mama. Kiss kiss," she said.

Hermione leaned in to give and receive a kiss. "Thank you, Jasmin. I missed you, too. Now, let's go pick something that all three of us can play." She set Ivy down on the floor and let the girl lead her to her room to choose something to play. Most of the games and such were in Ivy's room, appropriate since Jasmin couldn't do much yet without someone else's help.

***

"You do this every night?"

This was asked once Ivy and Jasmin had been bathed, dressed in pajamas for bed, hair brushed, teeth brushed, a story read, and tucked into bed, or crib in Jasmin's case.

"There has been a night or two where a step was missed, but yes."

"I feel like I was the one who took a bath."

He eyed her then, knowing he had an amused grin on his face. She did look like she had joined Ivy in the tub for a portion of the bath. She wouldn't fit in Jasmin's tub, of course, as he still used the small one for her. He imagined they would for a while yet.

"Well, I have two possible solutions for you."

"Oh?"

"Well, you are a witch and I am a wizard. I could offer to dry you off."

"And the second solution?"

"Mm," he said, meeting her eyes. "Take the offending articles of clothing off."

"Do they both fall asleep that quickly?"

He paused, thinking over that. Usually, most of the time they did, but there was the occasional evening they did not. This may be one of them since they hadn't seen Hermione in a month.

"Valid question. Another night then?"

"You think I'm going to get this soaked a second time?"

"There is that," he said. "Well, what do you suggest, Hermione?"

"Well, Jasmin does still sleep in a crib…"

"She does," he agreed.

"How frequently does Ivy wake you up?"

"She hasn't yet since Jasmin started sleeping through the nights here."

She evidently liked that response.

"It'd be a shame to catch a cold my first night back in the castle."

"Undoubtedly true."

She glanced at her feet then. What was she going to decide?

"Did you want me to do it myself?"

"Hardly," he said. "I was just waiting for your decision."

"Have you used your bath?"

He narrowed his eyes, wondering what she was asking him.

"I'm sorry, that didn't come out the way I intended. Of course I know you use your bath. I meant the tub itself. Do you yourself use it or are you just a showering type?"

"I have not used it for such purposes, no. Until recently I didn't have much time for such things and now that I do," he shrugged. He found one of her hands, taking it and bringing it so their hands were beside them in the air, palms together. He laced his fingers around hers. "It seemed better suited to doing when I had someone to join me. As a child we only had a tub not a shower, but it was ingrained in me that only my mum would … take longer than necessary. Why?" he asked.

"I was just noticing when I was giving Ivy her bath how luxurious it looks."

"Ah. It's not the prefects tub from my understanding, but yes it would certainly be able to suitably and comfortably accommodate someone joining me in it. Is that a hint?"

"Mm, tempting, but not tonight."

"Please let me know when it is the right night."

"I will most definitely do that." She brought their joined hands, moving hers a bit so she could maneuver his, to her abdomen. "Are you ready to warm me up if you remove my damp clothes, Severus?"

"Merlin, yes," he said, settling his hand where she'd guided it against her stomach. He leaned in to kiss her, realizing standing was not the most conducive way to achieve that goal. They made do, though. He leaned down some. She moved to her tiptoes.

He thought maybe the … newness of it this afternoon had made it seem better than it truly was. He was pleased as their lips met and she moved to deepen the kiss at about the same time he did that while there was room for improvement because of their unfamiliarity with one another. He had not been imagining how good kissing her was.

He lifted her up then with relative ease. She slid her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck. The only indication she was surprised was a small squeak into the kiss. He removed her clothes after he carried her to the bedroom and closed the door, setting her on the edge of his bed. He had never had reason until now to appreciate the … height of the bed.

She bit that lower lip before she closed her eyes and waved her hand. And just like that his clothes were gone, too.

"Mine weren't damp."

"Are you sure?"

He chuckled and settled his hands against her thighs, rubbing her there with each thumb. She let her head fall against the bed, giving a soft groan as he grazed her labia with first one thumb and then the other. He gave a soft groan of his own when he felt the pad of each thumb come away from those lips a bit wet.

She was aroused.

By him.

For him.

No lubrication charm. No embarrassment on her part that she was that he could detect.

He cast a subtle silencing charm before a cushioning charm and knelt on the floor then, gathering her legs over his shoulders as he explored what brought her off. She liked her clit stroked, not too hard he noticed as he alternated his touch. He groaned again when he felt her inner muscles clench around his finger once he'd slid it inside of her entrance.

His tongue joined his finger almost without conscious thought. He just knew he wanted to taste her. Wanted to feel her clench around his tongue as she'd just done to his finger. She did not disappoint. He was pretty sure she could make him spend himself without even touching him just from her reaction to what he was doing. He opened his eyes for a minute, noticing the flush over her abdomen and breasts. Her nipples upright and he hadn't even done anything to her breasts.

Eventually, she finished and he stood after adjusting her legs.

"Hermione," he murmured, kissing her stomach and finding a breast, licking a path around her areola before grazing the still aroused peak with his tongue.

"Uh huh."

"You are okay with this happening? You are in control of all of your wits?"

"Well, I might have lost a couple of IQ points for a second there, but yes. I know what I - we - are doing. And I want you."

"Wrap your legs around me then, Witch," he murmured as he cast the contraception charm over her abdomen.

He slid his hands under her bum, lifting her closer to the edge of the bed and closed his eyes once he was set to enter her. It was his turn to bite his lower lip as he forced himself to go slow and ease into her. She was wet and ready for him, but he very much wanted her to do this with him again. And again. So he didn't want to come across as a clueless dolt who just rammed his cock in and thrust with no seeming consideration for her pleasure. (Though he wagered there was an appropriate time and place for such a joining. Tonight just wasn't it. This wasn't fucking.)

In this position he was able to touch her to his heart's content from her glorious curls so similar in texture to Ivy and Jasmin's to her face. To her sleek neck and shoulders. Shoulders that, figuratively or not, had been weighted with plenty of burdens over the years. Yet sleek, soft, and delicate they still were, deceptive in making her seem … weak when she was not. To her breasts she'd earlier let him feel in response to his tit for tat comment. To her abdomen, which elicited a combination laugh and moan when he traced her belly button with the pad of his thumb. To her hips, which he settled his hands against for now so that he could move in her the way he wanted to.

She wasn't overly vocal (neither was he), but she was not shy about telling him she wanted him harder or deeper or (his particular favorite) there there there Severus.

That particular plea brought her over the edge as a result of him doing exactly what she said and staying right there there there. Hearing her genuine pleasurable moan as she orgasmed coupled with her not being shy of telling him exactly what she needed were his undoing and he spent himself almost as soon as she'd come down from her own.

He bent one of her legs, kissing her knee and sliding a hand along her calf and then switched to the other until he was forced out of her.

"I didn't realize bringing up taking a bath with me would end in that," she murmured. She looked mightily proud of herself.

Rightfully so. He had never allowed … feelings to enter into sex before.

He very much looked forward to them being part of it again.

"Would you like to try my tub now?"

She smiled, but blushed with it.

"What is the blush for?"

She shrugged. "I don't know."

"I wasn't implying more sex had to happen."

Her face fell at that.

"I mean," he quickly added. "Not that I don't want it to. That's not what I meant. I very much look forward to getting to know the ins and outs of sex with not just feelings involved but the same person."

"You've never been with the same person more than once?"

"No."

Should he have not said that? Would she prefer he lie? Didn't she understand it meant he was about as vulnerable as he could be, letting her in.

"I'd very much like to start a new trend, though."

She laughed softly, shaking her head against his quilt.

"Unless," he sighed heavily. "You don't…"

"No, I do."

"I realize taking you in such a way might not seem as if emotions were of the fond variety …"

"Severus," she said, leaning up to set a finger over his mouth. "Stop. You're fine. I'm not overly experienced myself, but I'd much prefer you, um, demonstrate you want me than try to repress it or something."

"That was an acceptable demonstration of that then?"

"Mm hmm," she said, touching his face. She shifted then, suddenly kneeling on the bed with her arms around his neck. "The charm can be used in the tub?"

"Yes," he said. Her not knowing the answer had to be an indication she hadn't needed to find out before now. That excited him a bit, knowing she was contemplating that with him.

"Then, yes, let's do that."

"Stay here. Let me start it and I'll return for you."

"I could help."

"No. I mean, another time. I will enjoy the thought of you naked on my bed…"

"I see," she quipped, leaning in to kiss him. "Well, you can add me naked in your tub to your visuals too then."

"That would be a most excellent visual to add into the mix."

"You have a mix?"

"I am working on creating one, yes."

"I see."

"For purely selfish reasons I do hope you'll take Minerva's job offering."

"Purely selfish, huh?"

"Well, yes, the longer you're here the more I can enjoy those visuals firsthand."

"I see."

"Now, unhand me, Witch, so I can see to the bath."

"Aye aye," she said, moving to lie on the bed again. She moved the right way this time, so her head was on a pillow. He stared. He couldn't help it. A witch like her sharing herself with him in such a manner never entered his mind as being a possibility.

"Maybe a bath can wait," he murmured, moving to join her on the bed. He waved his hand to adjust the bedding around them. She helped by shifting a bit.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to discover all the various ways I can ravish you in my bed."

"Oh, there's going to be ravishing?"

"Yes, what was that word you used earlier … divine ravishing."

"Mm," she said as she moved onto her side to face him. She slid her hands along his body, eyes never leaving his face as she touched and explored the feel of him beneath her fingers and palms. "I see you're building up to doing so again rather soon."

"Not soon enough."

She laughed then, kissing him and he thought he was definitely going to enjoy being with this witch more than once.

Return to Top

Part 6 | Part 8

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com