***Chapter Five***
January 24, 2003

She wasn't completely surprised when he found her in the library Friday night. She wasn't sure why he had suddenly started to sit near her at meals the past week, but it had been unexpectedly … okay. Pleasant even. He talked to her. Oh, his first conversation was clearly an attempt to find out what she was researching. She figured if Minerva hadn't told him, she shouldn't either.

After that, though, he would tell her about something one of his classes had done. Or what Ivy had learned that day. Or, most surprisingly, he would talk about books or movies. Surprising because while she certainly knew he was a half-blood and had grown up muggle, he'd kept that successfully quiet for years. So, to hear him talk about Star Wars or that he had the entire collection of Ian Fleming's James Bond books was just odd.

Jasmin and Ivy acted as a buffer during those moments when she nor he knew what to say. She, because she didn't want to push her luck that they were getting along and risk irritating him by talking too much or about the wrong thing. She wasn't sure what his reasons were, but imagined he just wasn't very good at having day to day conversations with people. Former students at that. He hadn't even said anything about Harry's kids being in school with either of his girls. She'd expected more of a reaction out of him, and thought (later) it had been an absolutely stupid, and perhaps insensitive, thing to say under the circumstances.

She had just been so shocked at his choice in seats that she evidently couldn't think straight.

Yet he hadn't gotten angry or anything. She had no idea if he was angry, and that was certainly a good sign, too. He'd never held back displaying such a thing in the past.

Since then he, Ivy, and Jasmin sat with her at every meal. Sometimes Jasmin sat between them in her highchair. Sometimes Ivy did with Jasmin on the other side of him.

Jasmin was precious. Every time she called out Mama it broke a piece of Hermione's heart. Who was this woman putting her children through this? She'd better have a damned good reason for it. Her daughters clearly wanted her.

Ivy for her part was clearly an intelligent, introspective girl. She didn't talk much, but Hermione enjoyed their conversations about various things when she'd been the one sitting near her at the table. Severus was homeschooling her in addition to his Hogwarts responsibilities. So, Ivy enjoyed filling her in on what she'd done on a particular day.

It had been a while since Hermione thought on her first year of studies.

"Miss Granger," he said, setting Jasmin on the floor near the table next to Hermione's. Ivy was able to get in and out of the chairs on her own. She supposed Jasmin could fall if he put her in a chair. She recalled Ginny and Harry didn't put James on things like chairs when he was one either because he could fall off. Even now, they kept a close eye on him if they did.

"Hello, Professor. Ivy and Jasmin. You know, I've sat with the three of you for at least a dozen meals now. Perhaps you would think of calling me Hermione. That's what my friends call me anyway."

She hoped she wasn't speaking out of turn, but her conversations with him at these meals they sat near one another hadn't been unpleasant. She knew he was curious as to her project for Minerva, but he hadn't asked about it other than that initial dinner he'd chosen to sit near her. She wouldn't be … upset at thinking he considered her a friend.

His lips thinned a bit and she thought he was going to hex or scold her, but he simply nodded.

"And, of course I am Severus."

She let out a breath she hadn't been aware she was holding at his response. No hexing. He, in fact, looked a bit surprised. As much as Severus Snape would display surprise anyway, so she might have been reading the response wrong.

"The girls are up late tonight again," she said. Fresh from a bath it looked like again, too. "If I may offer some advice, being a curly hair challenged person myself."

"And that would be?"

His tone was a bit curt.

Did he not like that? She wasn't trying to suggest or imply he didn't know what he was doing, but someone who didn't have hair as curly as hers wouldn't understand.

"Don't use a drying charm on their hair. Towel it and let it air dry. The charm just makes everything more unmanageable for me."

He was quiet, but he was obviously thinking over what she had said. Finally, after longer than was really necessary for him to take in what advice she offered, he nodded.

"Thank you," he said.

"You're welcome. Glad my hair woes can help someone. Sometimes magic is the simplest but not always the best answer."

"This is something you learned the hard way?"

"The hair? Or that magic isn't always the best answer?"

"The hair," he said with a smirk. That made her heart beat a little faster. She'd never been on the receiving end of one of his smirks that wasn't meant to display irritation. This was new.

"Mm, yes. I thought it would be so easy. It was, but it did not do nice things to my hair."

"I will try that tomorrow night."

She nibbled on her lower lip and sighed heavily, reaching for her bag that five years later she still carried everywhere with her. She hoped this wasn't a huge mistake on her part. He had agreed to call her Hermione and let her call him Severus.

And, well, they weren't doing anyone any good sitting in a bag for years. She'd never even taken them out. Well, once, while on the run she took them out and read them because she was feeling particularly vulnerable and missing her mum and dad.

She summoned a few books, sliding them to the edge of the table.

"What are these?"

"When I had to erase my parents' memories and send them away I took some things with me. Some things that while we were on the run did us no good as they had no value as far as assisting us. When I returned the memories to my parents they stayed in Australia where I'd sent them. They thought it would be too odd to return suddenly," she shrugged. She was glad they liked their lives in Australia, of course, but she missed them. "Anyway, these are some of the books I took before leaving that day. I thought Ivy and Jasmin might like them."

He looked from her to the books and back to her again. Apparently she'd surprised him.

"Miss Granger … Hermione, I cannot accept…"

She shrugged. "They're not doing anyone any good sitting in a bag."

"Yes, but you are godmum…"

"I am, but you and I both know that James and now Herman aren't going to like the same type of books your daughters do. Sexist as that may sound, my parents bought a lot of books that would appeal to a girl since that's all that they had. And he has copies of a few of these already. I also found this book," she said, tapping the cover of Big Sister, Little Sister by Marci Curtis, "when I was shopping and thought they might like it."

"I suppose. You are sure? Perhaps you might like to save them…"

She shrugged. "And again they're not doing anyone any good sitting in a bag. Books are meant to be read. Don't you agree?"

"I do." He clearly did agree and she liked that they had that opinion in common.

"So, take them. Read them. If I come by a daughter and feel the need to read one of these books I will ask for it."

"And if it's been ruined?"

"Are you planning on doing that?"

"No, of course not. However, I have come to find over the course of the past three weeks that accidents happen rather frequently with children."

She smiled at that. She couldn't help it. She hoped he wouldn't think she was laughing at him. She'd never do that! She could imagine though what an odd thing it would be to someone as obviously exact and organized as he so obviously was to have … chaos. And children were chaotic.

"You didn't know that prior to the past three weeks?"

"No," he said simply.

"I'm sure. Truly, use them. I'd rather they be read than sitting in a bag doing nothing. If you'd like I could carry them down for you or wait until another time, but you're here again so I assume you're looking for new books to read."

"I can pay you for the one you purchased."

"No! It's a gift. Please. I hope they enjoy it. I thought it was well done and the pictures were good."

"Thank you. That was very kind of you to think of them. Are you almost finished?"

"I think I can break away for the night. Harry would tell me my eyes are going to fall out if I keep staring at these pages hoping to find the answer."

"Well, let me see what other selections the library has and I'll return."

"Sure."

"Are they both okay here?"

"Oh, yes," she said.

She grabbed one of the books and moved to the table Severus, Ivy, and Jasmin had been sitting at. She took a seat, picking Jasmin up to her lap as she set the hard book on the table. There was no one else here since it was after curfew so she didn't have to worry about being too loud or anything.

She pointed at the cover. This was a book she'd bought James (and now Herman she supposed) his own copy of. She imagined Ivy would be a little too old for it, but maybe not.

"All right, Jasmin. Do you see the dog?"

Jasmin gave a squeal and Hermione laughed softly.

"All right. Now we're going to have to find Spot, that's the dog's name, in the book. Ready?"

She proceeded to read through the book with Jasmin, Ivy participated, too. Hermione let Ivy open the flaps and show Jasmin where Spot was, but the girls obviously enjoyed the book. And Spot. Hermione had, too.

Instinctively, she ran her hand along the back of Jasmin's head, smoothing down her curls much as her mum had done to her when she was little. Ivy settled closer against her, her head resting against Hermione's shoulder as she read. She breathed in deeply and sighed softly.

They smelled … familiar.

She glanced at Severus (that was going to be an adjustment) as he returned to them. He was watching her - and it was her not either girl - with something akin to interest. She'd be afraid he thought she overstepped by picking Jasmin up, but he wasn't upset.

"Maybe I will have to carry the books to my quarters instead of the other way around."

"Is she asleep?" That would explain why she hadn't helped find Spot the last page or so.

"Out like a light."

"Well, I'd have to shift her a bit, but I can carry her if that's easier than exchanging her from me to you given she's asleep."

"You do not mind?"

"Of course not." She leaned toward him a bit, lowering her voice. "Please don't tell anyone, but I was kind of hoping Herman was a girl."

"Were you?"

She took her lower lip between her teeth again and nodded. "I just thought it would be fun to see Harry with a daughter. I love James and I'm sure will grow to love Herman, too."

"How can you not since he's named for you?"

"That wasn't my idea."

"Of course it wasn't. I'm sure it was Mr. Potter's. Rightfully so."

"You think so?" That surprised her. That he'd think it let alone say it.

"He wouldn't have made it to Christmas his first year without you, so yes I think so."

She closed the book, sliding it toward the edge of the table and shifted Jasmin a bit before standing with her facing over Hermione's shoulder. She was no expert in doing this, but she was in no danger of dropping the girl. Ivy stood from her chair, reaching for Hermione's hand.

"You are good at that."

"I've had some practice lately."

"As have I."

"I guess you have."

"Lead the way then," she said once he added the books she'd given him to the few he took from the library's offerings. She had no idea where his quarters were. In the dungeons she presumed, but beyond that had no clue. She'd never had reason or the desire to look for them.

She followed him, not surprisingly, to the dungeons.

She tried not to be obvious about taking his quarters in as he led her to what had to be Jasmin's room. She was curious, of course. Ivy seemed to know it was time for bed and headed to a second room on her own.

The black leather sofa and chairs were not at all surprising.

"Oh my," she murmured as she took in the nursery. It was a child's dream come true. "Is that glitter?" She walked toward the dresser in question that had a magical lamp with glitter in it.

"If you tell Potter … Anyone …"

"Oh, no, Sir. I just," she said.

"I believe we established earlier this evening that Severus is fine."

"Right. You just sounded very professor-like there. Old habits. I won't tell anyone. It's just very unexpected."

"Yes, well, the elves provided it."

"She'll love it."

"She loves glitter. They both do I've found," he said and she couldn't help but laugh. "You find that amusing?"

She closed the distance between them, squeezing his wrist gently. She was surprised he didn't jerk his hand away or something. She was also a little surprised at not necessarily how warm his hand was, but how normal it felt. Just like Harry or Ron's. She wasn't sure what she was expecting, but apparently for him to feel different.

"No. I mean, well, yes, that you know she and her sister love glitter. That is amusing. That you did something to ensure she sees that lamp every morning and evening is very nice."

"Yes, well, Ivy did not want a lamp with glitter for her room and I can't have it anywhere else."

"Of course not," she said, not doing a very good job at hiding her smile.

"Thank you for understanding."

"Anytime. I should get back…" eyes falling on a cat that looked almost exactly like Crookshanks. Did Severus have a cat?

"Would you like to do something other than spend your time in the library while here?" he asked, moving her thoughts away from the cat.

"Well, I haven't been in the library all of the time. I've been doing other things, too. You're aware of that because I've sat in on a couple of your classes."

"Mm, yes, you're right. And, well, certainly whatever your assignment is you are entitled to down time. Unless you plan to spend all of it flooing to the Potters'?"

"No, I'll probably spend some time there this weekend, but I know not to overstay my welcome. Ginny has a whole family who wants to see and hold him so I try not to be a bother. And Ron is looking at me worse than he did five years ago now that Ginny has two sons."

"Oh, I'm sure that he is." That wasn't sarcasm in his tone, but there was definitely something to his words that made her curious what he was thinking. She knew he wasn't fond of Ron, but as far as she knew their paths hadn't crossed much since the end of the war. No sense asking him because he'd never tell her.

"Anyway, did you have something in mind?"

"Well, I have a rather large order to fulfill for Poppy."

"So you're inviting me to escape the library to your lab instead?"

"I just thought you might enjoy something … different than just books. And as you said you have sat in on a few of my classes. I know you've sat in on others, too, so I take that to mean your desire to learn didn't stop just because your time at Hogwarts ended."

Her heart pounded from excitement for a moment. He was inviting her to brew with him. That was what he was doing, right? Best to clarify before she got entirely too excited for no reason.

"You have no one serving detentions and need cauldrons scrubbed?"

He smirked then. He knew exactly what she was doing. What she was asking.

"If I didn't know better I'd think you were fishing for a compliment, Hermione. To that end, no, it is not cauldron scrubbing I'm needing or offering. I could use a capable assistant who I won't have to watch like a hawk on every step."

"Oh," she said. He thought she was capable? Why did that make her heart pound in her chest? And not from fright. "When?"

"I'll be working on and off tomorrow. So anytime would work. I understand if you have other places to be and things to do. You know the way to my classroom. I'll know if you arrive."

"Okay. Thanks."

"You are welcome."

She was about to say good night when she noticed a gramophone on a table.

"I've never seen one of these in person. Does it work?" Judging by the muggle records near it, she was guessing it must.

"It does. I found it at an antique store years ago. I'm not sure I would have survived years here unable to listen to my preferred music."

She glanced at the few records he had out from the others, not surprised to see The Beatles, The Who, and The Rolling Stones in there. Miles Davis surprised her a little, though. Being out must mean he had played it recently or was planning on doing so. Severus Snape liked music well enough to seek out a gramophone when he was without electricity. Who knew?

She certainly never gave him any hobbies or interests when she had been his student. Other than difficult. He was exceptionally good at that.

She was admittedly a little jealous that he'd thought of a gramophone and she hadn't as a way to play records.

So, now what?

This was awkward. She knew it was time to go. There was absolutely no reason for her to stay here any longer. She kind of wanted to, though. When was she going to get to see his quarters again? He hadn't asked her to stay, though, so it was definitely time to go.

"So, um, good night then, S…everus."

"Good night, Hermione," he said, following her to the door. She felt wards activate once he'd shut the door and she'd stepped away.

Had that really just happened? Obviously it did. What an odd turn in her evening. She felt … glad she'd thought to give him the books she had. She truly had seen the book about sisters and thought of them when she'd ventured to a muggle bookstore on one of her visits to see Herman.

She'd been looking for something that might help James adapt to no longer being the only child in the house when she'd spotted it. And gotten so caught up in reading the sweet book she forgot about a book for James.

***

"So you've seen them?" Harry asked. He sounded very curious and couldn't hide it. As if he didn't have his own children to worry and think about.

Hermione rolled her eyes a bit at the question.

"Yes, I've seen them. I've eaten with them. I've held them and read to them."

"Of course she read to them," Ginny said.

She wasn't being snide or rude with the comment. She knew Ginny well enough to know she found it amusing. And Ginny knew Hermione well enough to know she'd like reading to the girls because she loved reading to James. And buying books to read to James. She just had to tease about it. There were worse things to be known for, she supposed.

"What were they like?" This was Harry again.

Hermione shrugged. How to describe them? Should she describe them? She didn't get the impression Severus was letting many get close to them. Why she'd been his choice, she still wasn't sure. She didn't want to violate that trust, though. And that did seem to be what he was doing, trusting her with their time.

"Jasmin is like a one year old baby," she said. "I don't know. What kind of question is that? She sat on my lap and I read the Spot book to her. Ivy helped by lifting the flaps while Severus looked at some books in the library. Ivy is five and a little more independent, though she likes to snuggle, too. It's sweet. I imagine they miss their mum and I'm a witch paying attention to them."

"Oh, he's Severus all of the sudden," Ginny quipped. "And Minerva told Harry they've been sitting with you at meals."

Hermione rolled her eyes a bit. Of course Minerva told Harry who told Ginny who likely told Ron. They could have heard it from Neville, she supposed but doubtful Neville would go out of his way to tell them that. He didn't seem to think it was that out of the ordinary. Neither did Luna for that matter.

"Please, Ginny. he has children. He's clearly involved with their mother, she knew where to find him. In a warded castle. The reason I'm currently at Hogwarts researching. Remember? He started sitting with me this week. I'm not sure what that was about," she shrugged. "Other than Ivy and Jasmin seem to like me so I think I take some of the pressure off of him. You know? Everyone else just stares at him. Or acts like there's nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sorry, but Severus Snape suddenly having two daughters with him at Hogwarts is not ordinary. I get that people are still scared of him, but I feel bad some days. No one seems to really offer to help him."

"Yeah, about that," Harry said.

"I'm going to go feed Herman and then get him down for a bit. I'll probably lay down, too," Ginny said, taking him from Hermione. Hermione had to admit she didn't want to give him up. She was still pretty choked up at his name.

"So, I know I've been absent," Harry said once Ginny had left the room.

"You have." What else was she supposed to say? Ginny didn't need to leave the room for that. And it did very much seem as though Ginny left intentionally.

"I'm sorry," he said.

Her eyes widened and she drew away from him a bit. Did he really think he owed her an apology? That she believed he owed her one? Like it was any great hardship to sit in Hogwarts' library and read with no restrictions.

"For what? Harry, you don't have to apologize. I knew when you told me about this job that Ginny was due and when. You're an auror not a librarian, archivist, or researcher. I knew that the research would fall to me."

He nodded, his eyes betraying his relief that she said that. She wasn't mad in the least. Not about the job. She was still a little miffed that she was just loaned out to Harry without even consulting her, but that wasn't Harry's fault. Not really. It wasn't his fault that he got what he wanted without hesitation most of the time.

"Have you found anything?"

"No, nothing. The only thing I've found is that the headmaster has the ability to apparate in and out of Hogwarts. We knew that already, but I did find a footnote from," she closed her eyes to go through all that she'd read the past two weeks. "I believe it was in one of Rowena Ravenclaw's journals. Anyway, it sounds as if the headmasters might be able to grant others that ability, too."

His eyebrow arched a bit, and with it his scar. He hadn't known that either. She wasn't sure what Dumbledore had told him about his ability to apparate into and within Hogwarts. She couldn't help but smirk. He tried to wear his bangs a little longer these days and in a way that the scar was covered, but he must have just gotten a haircut because it was visible. Or maybe she just saw it as any other part of him after all these years.

"Really? I never knew that."

"I didn't either. It was just a postscript, and I haven't seen any other references to it. So, I really don't know where else to look! Minerva says I have access to everything, but there could be journals or other private papers that maybe she doesn't know about or the castle isn't giving me."

"So, could it be someone who Minerva granted access to?"

"I asked her about it. Discreetly. I figure if it's not prevalent knowledge I'm not going to be the one to tell her."

She couldn't imagine Albus Dumbledore not telling her, but Hermione wasn't sure if he was any more forthcoming in painting form than he had been as a living human. As the years post-war had passed, she'd learned more things about the man that led her to the opinion that she didn't like him very much.

Harry didn't say so, but she knew he was slowly drawing the same conclusion.

"Right," Harry said with a knowing nod. The war was over, but memories of people who didn't belong in Hogwarts being there were still fresh in both of their minds.

"She didn't seem aware. Whether she was deliberately avoiding the answer I was looking for, I don't know. I don't think she would hire us to look into things and then not answer my question if she knew."

"So, we visit the headmistress' office sometime when she's not there and ask Albus if he's aware of anyone that he, Snape, or Minerva granted access to. I mean, it can't be anyone before Albus. She'd be too old to have a child or children."

Hermione thought Harry was right. The question was, if it was someone he was seeing while he was headmaster (which seemed likely given Ivy was five) would Albus know who Severus granted that access to? And if it was someone Severus granted access to, well, would they then discover who the mother was? Would Severus really have a witch visit him at Hogwarts amidst all that was going on? What if one of the Carrows had caught him?

Regardless, the mother's identity was something he clearly wasn't being forthcoming about. Not to mention, she couldn't imagine that Severus Snape wouldn't be the first one concerned (perhaps more than Minerva) by someone getting into Hogwarts who shouldn't have. Bringing his children to him or not, if someone had that ability who shouldn't have. Wouldn't he have said something? Not wanting it to happen again?

Would he have?

One thing she believed today, Severus loved Hogwarts. She was pretty sure from listening to him testify at various trials that he was truly upset first the night of Albus Dumbledore's death that Draco Malfoy had found a way to get Death Eaters into Hogwarts. And second that post-war he had been deeply saddened by the damage done, not just to the castle but its grounds.

"Yes, I can do that. You do know you're lucky that you're Harry Potter, right?"

"I'm sorry. What?"

She gave a soft laugh. He seemed truly perplexed. She supposed she couldn't blame him, it was a change in topics.

"Nothing bad. I'm not making fun of you or making light of your past." He knew better than that! "I just meant, because you're Harry Potter, Kingsley is willing to give you the same paternity leave Ginny would get if she worked for the Ministry."

"Oh, right. I do realize. I am not going to take the whole time."

Hermione sighed softly. She suspected he wouldn't. Just because he'd go a little crazy if he missed work for so long.

"So, that leads me to. What you're really saying since you won't be back for the next little while, three or four weeks at least, is that I need to find a way to get into Minerva's office."

"Well, yeah. I'll get you the cloak. I left the map with you."

"Thank you, and yes, I have the map."

She hadn't looked at the map much since their initial first day or two there, to ensure that they didn't see any new tunnels or corridors they didn't remember being on it the map back in 1998.

Harry left to get the cloak. That left her thinking of just what she'd ask Albus if she was able to get in, and the realization that he'd likely tell Minerva she snuck in. She wasn't sure she liked that idea. She wasn't a student anymore, and sneaking around behind the back of the person who had asked them to come investigate how the girls got to Hogwarts seemed wrong. Was there another way to get the information she was looking for?

"So, their names are Ivy and Jasmin? I'm not sure I knew that." This came after he'd returned with his father's invisibility cloak. She smiled a bit, wondering how long he'd been thinking over whether he knew it or not. "Those are actually … pretty."

"If you paid attention…"

"I've been a bit distracted, Hermione!"

"I know, Harry," she said, offering him her hand. He took it and squeezed. "I'm not mad. I was really teasing."

"Good, because I honestly am not sure I pictured daughters of Snape's having such names."

"They suit them actually," she said.

"Do they?"

"Yes," she shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't a clue where the names came from, but I'm guessing Jasmin's middle name, Aileen, has something to do with his mum. Her name was Eileen."

Harry knew that, but she knew it was buried deep in his mind so pointed it out for him. Her thoughts went back to Ivy's middle name being the same as her mum's name. What did that mean? It wasn't a hugely common name. Could it be coincidence?

Obviously, it had to be! Severus Snape nor the girls' mother would have no reason to give Ivy her mum's name as her middle name.

"So, you're going to try to get into Minerva's office this week?"

"If I can," she said, going back to her thought moments ago on whether she could get information without seeming to sneak behind Minerva's back to get it. She didn't like the idea of doing that, especially with Minerva having offered to potentially find her something else to do here to delay her return to the Ministry.

"Actually," she said, an idea coming to her. "There may be a way to get information without my needing the cloak, sneaking into the headmistress' office, or talking to Albus. We both know we can't be certain he'll give us a completely honest answer."

He nodded. To this day, he hated speaking badly about Albus Dumbledore. He knew, but Hermione was pretty sure Harry felt bad he'd been taken in so easily. She also thought it made him understand Severus and his past a little better than most. Not that Albus was grooming Harry to be a death eater, but he'd spent - in the end - eighteen years doing exactly what he needed to do to get Harry Potter where he wanted him.

And if he died at the end of that path, Hermione wasn't sure the former headmaster truly cared. That was the part that bothered her most. She truly wasn't sure the headmaster had ever really cared about Harry, and for someone who'd had no one to care for him until he got to Hogwarts. Well, that was a huge bit of deception.

"I see your mind working. What?"

"I think I'm going to take Headmaster Black's portrait up to the library for a bit."

"Okay," Harry said, sounding confused. And then it apparently dawned on him. Phineas Black had been a headmaster. Phineas Black's other portrait had been at Hogwarts throughout Severus' time as headmaster. He nodded, eyes getting bright as the information Phineas Black might have dawned on him. "Oh."

"Yes."

"Well, have at it then. Do you think he'll really talk to you?"

"I don't know, but I just realized he might have answers without my having to break in anywhere or deal with Dumbledore. I don't want to upset Minerva. I like being at Hogwarts right now, I don't want her to send me home like an errant child. If she could find me something fulfilling to do at Hogwarts I'd consider it. I really don't know if I'd get a straight answer out of him anyway."

Harry didn't like to think about her leaving her position at the Ministry. It was easy for him. He was on track to be head not just of his team (he already was) but an entire squad. Being Harry Potter wasn't holding him back one bit.

That was not true for being Hermione Granger. She didn't find it strange that it was Minerva looking for a way to use her so she could do something to her full potential instead of mindless paper pushing.

"True," Harry said.

Hermione knew it took a lot for Harry to admit that. It was why he'd deflected a moment ago when she'd mentioned not knowing if Albus' answers would be honest. As a student, Harry had idolized the headmaster. It wasn't until later that Harry realized he wasn't as blameless as he seemed. Or as good as he seemed. Hermione wasn't sure he'd completely come to terms with either fact yet.

Harry led her to Phineas' portrait. He was sleeping at the moment. It seemed like yesterday and a lifetime ago that she'd stuffed his portrait into her bag on a whim. To avoid him possibly passing secrets to Severus.

If only she knew then what she knew now. Would things have been any different if she'd talked to Severus via the portrait instead of hid things from him? There was something best left in the back of her mind. She didn't need to go down that road. She already felt guilty about Remus and Fred … Not that their deaths were her fault. She knew that. She just wished she'd been clever enough to be faster about figuring things out.

"Hold up!" He directed once she started to remove the portrait from the wall. She hadn't heard the voice in five years but she still dreamed about it at times. "Please don't tell me another maniac is on the loose and you need to run again."

"Bite your tongue, Phineas," Harry said.

Hearing Harry address him as Phineas made Hermione wonder how many times Harry had spoken with the portrait since the end of the war. First name suggested familiarity, unless it was just because the portrait was in Harry's home.

"I'm taking you up to the library, Headmaster. Nowhere else. I promise."

He mumbled and blustered but ultimately gave his permission. Not that she couldn't have moved him without it.

"I'll look for you before I leave, Harry, but if you're busy or something I'll be by next week."

"All right. Are you sure you don't want help?"

"No. It's probably best no one else hears our conversation."

Harry scowled a bit, but seemed to understand.

She carried the portrait - carefully, the last thing she wanted to do was drop it. He'd never answer her then - up to the library, closing the door and casting a silencing charm.

She stared at the portrait for a while. Did he know the entire time that Severus was on their side and said nothing? Severus might have been able to help them while they were on their hunt! Gotten them food or information!

"Miss Granger. While the scenery change is welcome. Please get on with it."

"I assume you're aware from your portrait at Hogwarts that Minerva believes someone breached the wards that are in place."

"I might have heard something about such a suspicion, yes."

She smirked. Likely he'd stayed in that portrait more than necessary so that he could be privy to those conversations and the information they provided. For all his blutering, he was a bit of a gossip himself.

"Harry and I have been asked to find out if that happened. And if so, how."

"I see," he said. He clearly knew this already, too because he didn't sound at all surprised.

"I read a footnote in one of Madam Ravenclaw's journals that spoke of headmasters and headmistresses being able to allow others to apparate into and out of the castle."

"Okay."

"Is that true?"

"I have never done so myself, but yes I believe it is true."

"Have any recent headmasters, or Minerva I suppose, allowed that access?"

She didn't think it would have been Minerva, because she would have had a clue as to who might have breached the wards. She wouldn't need them to look into this then.

"Other than Severus."

"Severus had that ability? Or he granted it to someone?"

The former headmaster's eyes widened ever so slightly at her addressing Severus informally. A month ago she would have said Professor Snape.

"He had the ability."

"I see," she said. "Does he still?"

"As far as I know, though I don't see why he'd need to do that anymore. Albus granted it to him so that he could come and go undetected and unseen when needed."

"When needed?"

If someone could come and go from Hogwarts via apparition. Why would they not? Why would they choose to walk to and from the gates?

"Well, given his role, both prior to that final year and before, there were times he did need to be seen coming and going."

"Oh," she said, nodding. "I suppose."

"There were also times he was so severely hurt apparating could have been too risky."

Of course. Both reasons made sense. If he was never seen doing anything questionable no one would doubt his allegiance. That wouldn't go well with the ruse they were attempting to convey. And he wouldn't risk splinching himself. He was too smart for that. That led to the question she'd thought on moments ago.

"Did you know the whole time?"

Silence. She thought she heard a soft huff.

"I had my suspicions, but no. Albus excelled at deception and secrecy. I suppose he thought it was too risky for even us portraits to know. Not all of us have duplicates, but one word to the wrong visitor to the headmaster's office could have been disastrous."

"So Severus is the only one that you're aware of who was granted that ability by someone when he himself was not headmaster?"

"Yes."

"Did he have visitors at Hogwarts during his time as headmaster?"

"Well, of course…"

"Visitors that could be Ivy and Jasmin's mum," she clarified. She really didn't want to hear about any visitors he'd had who were followers of Voldemort.

"Not that I was privy to seeing or hearing about, no."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Have you seen them? His daughters?" His voice grew … softer with the last bit. He wasn't asking her so that he could tell others. He was truly curious about them.

"Ivy and Jasmin? I have. They are rather sweet, but clearly a handful."

"I am glad that he has … someone. I've always thought that was what was lacking in his life."

"I don't think the mother is involved. With him, I mean. Not to speak out of turn." She wasn't even sure that was true. It was just a feeling she got after being around them for the past couple of weeks.

"I wasn't speaking of their mother, Miss Granger."

"Oh, right. I suppose."

She hadn't really stopped to think how … lonely Professor Snape might be. He pretty literally had no one. The headmaster, but Hermione wasn't entirely sure that counted. She didn't get the impression Albus Dumbledore had been particularly kind to his spy.

"Well, thank you, Sir. Do you want me to leave you up here for a while? I can ask Harry to move you back."

"Well, no one but you comes in here and I presume you won't return anytime soon. Maybe another room?"

"Well, let's see what we can come up with."

She took his portrait and left the library, debating about where to bring him. She went through a few options in her mind and started with the drawing room.

"Oh, yes, this will be nice."

She was glad her first choice was the right one. He could be difficult to please, but she suspected any change of scenery was welcome. She hung his portrait on the wall in the drawing room. There was at least one other portrait in here that he could talk to.

"I'll make sure Harry checks on you in a day or two."

"Thank you, Miss Granger."

"You know, you can just ask him for a change of rooms once in a while." She was pretty sure he usually "slept" in this portrait.

"I will take it under advisement."

"One last question, Sir," she said, touching the frame lightly. "Do you know how they came in?"

"I don't. I truly don't know that anyone did."

"How else would you explain Ivy and Jasmin's sudden appearance then?"

"That's more than one question, Miss Granger, but I don't know that I can explain it. I believe Minerva, and Severus, would have felt if the wards had been breached. That leads me, and others with portraits in the headmistress' office, to believe they weren't breached at all. If that means Severus granted someone access I and others are unaware of, I don't know. He is good at keeping secrets. I have no doubt if an explanation is to be had, you will discover it."

She opened her mouth to say something else but stopped herself. That was almost a compliment. Better not to push her luck in case she needed his portrait again.

"Thank you, Headmaster."

"Good day, Miss Granger."

She said goodbye to Harry, complete with hug, assuming Ginny was still busy with Herman before heading back to Hogwarts.

As she made her way from the gates of Hogwarts to the castle, she wondered how many times Severus had walked this route. It was cold today, not bitterly so, but still. Had he ever been tempted to just apparate to avoid the cold? How many times had he walked this route hurt? So severely hurt that he wouldn't risk splinching himself by apparating when he perhaps should have for speed?

And why did that … upset her? Not just a little either. It truly bothered her. It wasn't as if she could do anything about it. It wasn't as if she, Harry, and Ron hadn't had their own task. Suffered their own injuries. They'd at least had one another, though.

Whoever Ivy's mother was, if she was someone Severus had during what had to be his loneliest time she was glad. Even if she had a hard time understanding how she could just leave those sweet girls with him with no word from her seemingly for weeks now.

And yes, she realized that he'd probably think of other times in his life as being lonelier than that year. Her thought, though, was being here in a place he loved, having to allow things to be done to students in the name of his role. No one trusting him. Everyone loathing him. He didn't get much time from Hogwarts to go to death eater gatherings from what it sounded like at trials. So he had the Carrows to talk to. And that was about it.

She shuddered at the thought.

She returned to her quarters to change before heading down to the dungeons. And Severus' classroom. A door she hadn't noticed before behind his desk opened once she'd crossed the threshold of his classroom.

"I trust that's you, Hermione, based on the door opening. It wouldn't have done that for anyone else. Come in then unless you planned on standing in my classroom all day instead."

She walked toward the opening, shivering a bit as she crossed over the threshold. She crossed her arms over her body and rubbed her biceps. It wasn't that kind of cold, though, that warming herself would help.

"Are you all right?" he asked, evidently having noticed.

"Yes, I think so," she said. She looked around, smiling a little when she spotted Ivy sitting in a chair, appearing to colour or something at a small table clearly meant for her as it was the perfect size for her. Jasmin, for her part, was in a playpen. She had a few toys and such and seemed pleasantly occupied. "You bring them with you to brew?"

"Sometimes. I wouldn't for a truly dangerous potion."

"Oh, I wasn't questioning you. I just didn't expect to see them, too."

She walked to where Jasmin's playpen was and stooped a bit. "Hello, Jasmin," she said, sliding her pinky finger into the girl's waving fist. She greeted Ivy then, looking at what she was drawing and colouring.

It looked like she was drawing an animal of some sort. The hair around its head made Hermione think it might be a lion but he was upright not on all fours as a lion should be.

"Oh," she said softly.

There was that shiver again. More intense this time.

"Seriously, Hermione, if you are unwell or don't wish to assist me. You are under no obligation…"

"No, I just," she stood then, which Ivy didn't seem too keen on her doing.

She looked at him and the lab. It was oddly familiar. She hadn't been in this room. His storage cupboards were not in here. She imagined he had some things in here, too, but the ingredients she'd gotten in her second year hadn't required her coming in here. (She honestly wasn't sure she would have been able to get in here if she'd had to!)

"Have you heard that old folk legend about someone walking over your grave?"

She had no idea why that had come to her just now. She'd certainly experienced sudden and inexplicable feelings of cold before this. Hogwarts was a centuries old drafty old castle, there was no shortage of drafty spots.

"Or felt like you've been somewhere before even though you know you haven't?"

He scowled at her, glancing in Ivy and Jasmin's direction for a moment. She thought his eyes got a little … harder for a second. Did he not want her here after all? Had he changed his mind? He hadn't seemed to when he told her to come into the lab when she was in his classroom.

"I can't say that I have."

"It's silly," she said. She hated feeling silly, especially in front of this man. She didn't guess he had fits of whimsy and hated that he thought she might. She liked that at meals he spoke to her like an equal not like a former student or someone he considered unworthy of his time because she was younger than he was.

She walked to the table where he was working. She wasn't sure it was so silly, though. She'd experienced a lot of things at Hogwarts. This feeling was not like anything she'd felt before. She shivered again and then shook her head in an attempt to brush it off.

She set her hands on the edge of the lab table, ensuring she didn't get too close to what he was obviously already working on.

"What are we brewing first?"

"I am brewing some Blood Replenishing Potion. You will be brewing more Pepper-Up. It will be in high demand for a while yet."

"Of course," she said with a nod. She saw the notes on her side of the table now. He apparently knew where she'd choose to work. Was that good or bad? She kind of liked that he knew how she thought.

"How are Mrs. Potter and your namesake faring?"

"You're going to tease me endlessly about that for the foreseeable future, aren't you?"

"I think that I might just, yes."

"Well, they are both fine. Ginny and Herman, I mean. She seems to be healing well. Like his older brother, the Weasley red hair seems to have skipped over Herman. Although I think what hair he does have might be a little lighter than James' and have a bit of an auburn hue to it. Too early to tell, of course. He's adorable."

"Mm," he said. "I have been told that's the case with newborns, yes."

She glanced at him curiously. Her eyes fell to Ivy and Jasmin then. Did he not know first hand then? What did that even mean, if not? Was it some sort of one-night stand? But how had she found him if that was the case? And how were there two daughters four years apart? She somehow didn't see Severus Snape going into a bar and picking up someone with his real name to get caught after surviving being a spy during a war if he just wanted a meaningless shag. And he was certainly astute and intelligent enough not to pick up the same woman twice.

She didn't see him forgetting to cast a contraceptive charm either. So that, to her mind, was an indication Ivy and Jasmin were here intentionally. Alive, not necessarily at Hogwarts. 

"I see your mind working. I did not invite you here to answer personal questions."

"Yet you asked me one."

"About your friend's wife and newborn child, not you. The question was a polite one to ask so soon after childbirth, knowing you'd called on them. At least so I'm led to believe given I'm not really part of polite society. And I certainly wouldn't deign to ask you if you had or had not seen your children as newborns."

She huffed softly, but nodded. He obviously knew where her mind took her. She felt bad. It really was none of her business. It didn't mean that she wasn't curious! "I apologize, I didn't mean to offend you."

"I'm not offended. You wouldn't be you if you weren't curious. I'm just stating that I am not here to settle those curiosities you obviously have."

"I didn't say anything."

"You didn't have to. I know what you look like when you're thinking."

"Well, it's just strange. No one even knew you had a daughter let alone two of them, Severus. Jasmin maybe I could understand since she's only one, but Ivy is five!"

"I didn't realize it was anyone's business."

"Let me finish, please," she said. Glad, at least, that he hadn't retracted his permission to call him Severus. Or kicked her out of his lab. "You are a very private person. I would think you would wish to avoid being gossiped about."

"There is nothing to tell. They weren't here and now they are. They may go back with their mother or they may not."

Her eyes widened a bit at that. He didn't even know? How could he do that, though? Let them go back to her after spending every day with them like this?

"And you would just let them go after spending this much time with them?"

"My patience is wearing quite thin, Hermione, but I'll answer. I would not have a choice."

"Well, of course you would."

"It's a complicated situation, but I assure you that I would not if their mother returns for them."

He'd said if, not when. He was a deliberate man who knew how to put sentences together accurately. So, he didn't know if she was coming back?

"So she did leave them?"

"With their … father, but yes. And clearly they haven't perished or been harmed yet so while I may feel out of my element I'm not completely inept. Before you judge so swiftly. Just think what Potter would have done to keep James and now Herman safe if he had to. Or, say, Ivy or Jasmin, one or both, were your daughter. I reckon he - and you - would do anything the same as Ivy and Jasmin's mum has."

What did that mean? She had done it so the girls would be safe? From what? From who? And how in the hell had she breached Hogwarts' wards? If she was in danger, if his daughters were in danger, shouldn't he be concerned she did that?

"So, she's in danger?"

He closed his eyes, shaking his head a bit. "It's not as simple as that, but yes. And that is enough on this subject."

"I wasn't trying to pry."

"Of course you are!"

He didn't sound mad exactly, but he clearly didn't want to be talking about this anymore.

"No, my point was, and after this I'll leave it alone. Wouldn't addressing the elephant in the room keep some of the gossip at bay. Admit you have daughters. Admit they're with you. Settle the curiosities."

"Except at this point no one outside of Hogwarts knows about them. I have been very careful to keep it that way for the time being. If someone outside of the castle finds out I'll know I was betrayed."

By her, Harry, or Minerva was the implication. She supposed Albus via portrait could, too, but she didn't get the impression that was who he was talking about. A student, but he could track down who the culprit was by who was providing information.

It surprised her that no one knew about them. Jasmin maybe she could see, but hadn't he told anyone about Ivy? She would think post-war, announcing he had a daughter would be a hopeful bit of news. What did that even mean? For his daughters? For his relationship with their mother?

"No one?"

"Do you see me leaving?"

Oh! An opening.

"Well, I have been told you might be able to apparate to and from Hogwarts so I wouldn't see you if you did that, would I?"

"A privilege I was granted by Albus that I would not abuse even if Hogwarts does, in fact, still consider me headmaster."

"I would think it would be tempting? On a cold, blustery day?"

"I just avoid going out on those days."

"So for five years you've had the ability?"

"I have the ability of flight, too, that doesn't mean I have to use it at every turn and draw even more attention to myself. In fact, I hadn't flown for quite some time until Ivy and Jasmin's arrival. It seems to soothe them when they're in a particularly foul mood."

He glanced at her then, head tilted, regarding her with a smile. An actual smile! Oh my. What was that look even for? And why didn't she care? She just liked seeing him smile.

"I suppose not."

True to her word, she let the subject drop.

Silence as they worked. She felt his eyes on her more than once as she worked. Checking up on her, no doubt. She was more than adequate at potions (despite his grades saying otherwise), but it had been a while since she'd had reason to brew much of anything. So, he would of course look at her, to ensure she was preparing the Pepper-Up correctly.

Something he said, implied, bothered her. Not just a little either. She couldn't keep quiet. If it meant he told her to leave, well, she'd hate herself later for that. She couldn't just ignore it.

"Is she okay?"

"Who?"

"Their mum?"

Silence. A long silence.

She looked at him and saw him watching her. This was a different look than ensuring himself she was preparing potions correctly. Was that the question that crossed the line for him? She hoped not. He didn't look mad though.

"That is truly a concern to you?"

"Well, yes, you implied. Well, I take it anyway you're suggesting that she's in danger or unsafe."

"And that would be the only reason she'd entrust the care of my daughters to me?"

"I didn't say that! Please don't put words in my mouth. It would make sense, though, why she isn't here with them. And you. That she's in danger, I mean."

"I do not know," he murmured.

What was she supposed to say to that? Did he know the woman? Obviously he must if they created not one but two children together. Did he love her? Was she a significant other? She must not be if no one knew he was seeing someone.

She reached across the lab table instinctively, settling her hand over his and squeezing.

"I'm sorry. That must be very frustrating especially for someone like you."

"It is. There is nothing I could do even if I knew and wanted to. She is on her own in this, I'm afraid. I, however, believe that she is capable enough that only death would stop her from returning for them."

She drew her hand away, surprised he'd allowed the contact for that long.

"Well, the next time I go to Harry and Ginny's if you'd like me to bring them with…"

"Why on earth would I want you to do that?"

"Because they have been in a castle twenty-four hours a day with no other children for weeks. James is a year older than Jasmin, maybe a little young for Ivy but not that much younger. Obviously Herman is just a newborn so he wouldn't do anything with them. She might enjoy someone closer in size to her to play with. It wouldn't be all day. They know about them. You could even come along if you'd like."

He was quiet and not looking at her. She wasn't trying to be pushy, but children needed interaction. Even at their age. And they would probably have fun at Harry's. Shouldn't Ivy be in school? He was working with her privately, but why wasn't she attending primary school somewhere? She didn't doubt his ability to teach her. He was certainly smart enough to.

"I will think about it. Though I would not go along regardless of my decision on them going. If I agree no one else could be there. Not Molly Weasley nor anyone else."

"Of course, I wouldn't do that. My intention is not to thrust them into the limelight. I know you value your privacy."

"Thank you. Enough talking now, get to work."

"Sure. Sorry."

"I'm not upset, but I don't want to spend all day brewing if I can avoid it. That's the reason I asked you here."

She sniggered a little at that. Who would have thought he'd think she'd ever be a viable option to brew with?

***

Severus appreciated the silence as they worked. He realized he'd initiated the conversation asking after the Potter children. He just hoped that she would be able to keep quiet. This was a test of sorts. To see if she could do it, and to see if he could tolerate the assistance.

And to see if being near her might lead to them getting to know one another better. Conversations at the head table were not a good gauge. People were listening. Pretending they weren't or not, he knew that they were as he'd never chosen to sit near anyone let alone consistently in his twenty plus years as a professor here. To see if the potential was there for interest between them. Was that asking too much?

Her reaction to being near where the portal had been opened and that Hermione had physically been in this room was interesting. Were there … residuals from the other universe's Hermione? Could she feel herself? That would be interesting to find out.

If only he could! He couldn't very well ask her.

He could just imagine how that conversation would go. He had initiated this association with her, thinking it would assist Ivy and Jasmin in not feeling abandoned by their mother, most especially Jasmin since she didn't understand. Ivy at least had a grasp of what their mother had done. And why.

However, telling her that she was, in truth, their mother just in a different universe.

Well, she would think he'd gone mad! He could not risk that, if not for his sake. For the girls'.

He'd been entrusted to care for them. The parameters she had put into her charm had selected him over any of the other Severus' available. Of course he had no idea how many there were to choose from. For all he knew there were only the two of them.

As out of his element as he was, he would not betray that trust or the responsibility. And he had to admit it was rather nice having … activity in his quarters. Ivy doing her schoolwork. Jasmin playing. Crookshanks (both of them!) coming and going. (Did they both visit her, he wondered? Would she notice the difference?)

Last night while giving Jasmin her bath she'd tugged her arm away from the flannel he was using to wash her with, resulting in her hand hitting the water in her baby tub rather hard. This caused a splash, getting his face and hers wet. This made her giggle and laugh loudly, leading to both hands slapping away in her tub as if she'd just discovered that she had the ability to control the water somehow.

Why he chose to give them baths nightly, he wasn't sure. It wasn't as if either did anything on a daily basis to require it. However, he knew what people thought of his own personal hygiene habits so did not want it said he did not care for them. Ivy was able to wash herself for the most part and could use his normal tub. He just watched to ensure she didn't fall under the water or harm herself as well as supervised the washing and rinsing of her hair.

He'd let Jasmin have her fun, finding himself completely entranced by the look of sheer glee and happiness on her face. More than just her face. Her squeals of delight made her whole body practically vibrate. Her eyes were dancing with mirth and pride.

He had never been privy to something so … innocent. Innocent and yet so real. He felt it change something in him. Her giggles and dadas along with Ivy's curiosity at her schoolwork reminding him so much of himself at her age (and likely their mother) had poked holes in the armour he'd built around his heart all along. Last night he was pretty sure she'd managed to tear it away completely.

To the point he'd laughed with her, and stuck his hand in the tub and splashed her himself. That had made her laugh even harder. Eventually, Ivy came into the bathroom and joined in on the splashing. (Good thing she took her bath after Jasmin typically or she would've needed to change again from getting so wet.)

He'd put them to bed after a story, wondering not for the first time what he would do if that Hermione returned for them. Until last night he was pretty sure he'd survive such an occurrence.

Now he wasn't so sure any longer.

And if this Hermione found out the truth, he risked the same attachment befalling her. Because he couldn't fathom this Hermione finding out they were hers in some fashion and not being involved.

Did he want to be responsible for that?

He observed as she took a bit of a break after finishing up the Pepper-Up Potion. She'd asked permission before taking Jasmin out of the playpen that seemed to be used in here more often than not these days. Dabdey brought it in here as soon as she woke up on Saturdays, knowing time in his lab was inevitable. She could be found in it in his quarters most evenings if he had grading.

She didn't put her down once she'd lifted her out of the playpen. Instead she walked around with her, pointing out various things in the room. Cauldrons. Stirring rods. Ingredients. Vials. Ivy was following her, too, holding Hermione's finger while she provided them a tour of his lab.

"Your daddy's work can be very dangerous, and I'm sure he's already told you this but you must not touch anything in this room without getting his permission first."

"Contrary to your behaviour, you mean," he said.

"Yes, well, they're five and one. I'd like to think if they were faced with what I was either one of them would do the same thing."

"I imagine very likely both would do exactly the same thing," he said.

How could Ivy and Jasmin not? He didn't know the world they came from. So he did not know their versions of her father and mother but he couldn't see how they could be drastically different. So, the product of two intelligent people. Two loyal people. Two strong willed people. Two capable people who preferred to use their minds.

Two people who despite the circumstances behind their union evidently came to regard one another highly. Highly enough she didn't think twice about leaving her children with another version of him.

Yes, no doubt, Ivy and Jasmin would have done exactly what their mother did given the circumstances. At least he assumed they would. He hoped he'd never have to find out.

He watched as Jasmin waved her hand at a selection of stirring rods.

"Can she?" Hermione asked him.

"Yes," he said.

He watched as Hermione plucked one out of his collection, looking it over briefly before handing it to her. Ensuring it was truly clean he supposed. Ivy wanted one, too, and he wondered if until now despite being five Ivy had any idea as to what her father did. He supposed that first year maybe she would have seen him brew, but that was a long time ago.

"That does not go in your mouth," she said.

The statement was for Jasmin. This was a phenomenon he knew all too well these days. Everything it seemed was meant to go into her mouth. It was why he had to keep her in her playpen when he was grading. He needed to focus on the papers or tests, not have one eye on her and what she was possibly getting into. Ivy was curious, but more mindful of her actions. 

Baby proofing his living room was an option, but he was putting it off for a little longer. It would really be a shame to go through all of that work just to have them taken from him in a week or two.

He smirked a bit as Ivy and Jasmin waved their stirring rods around as they would a wand.

"You know what a wand is already?" Hermione asked Jasmin.

She screeched and pointed at Hermione's left wrist.

"She wants to see your wand," Ivy said.

"You want to see my wand?" Hermione asked.

She babbled something that evidently Hermione took as yes so she pushed her robe's sleeve up to reveal the holster that held her wand in place.

"See. That's Hermione's wand. Your daddy has one, too, but he doesn't need to use it as much as I do. Really, from my observations, he doesn't need to use it very much at all. I expect neither of you will have to either then because obviously you're going to take after Daddy and be very competent witches. Yeah?"

She leaned in then, whispering something to Jasmin that he couldn't hear. He couldn't help but wonder what.

"You are so lucky, you know that? My mummy and daddy are muggle so I never had anyone to teach me anything from the time I was a baby."

He tilted his head at that statement as he worked on his Blood Replenishing Potion. He'd never thought of it that way. He'd at least had his mum to tell him about magic, show him what she could, and so forth. This witch, and Harry as well as most muggleborns (he was sure there were exceptions, someone who had a magical relative who recognized the signs in accidental magic), had not had that. Obviously, they weren't the only muggleborn or muggle-raised witches and wizards with such a past, but they were the most prominent in their world currently.

"You're both probably going to be running circles around students long before you become one here yourself."

He watched as she reacted physically every time she went near where the portal had opened. Something inside of her was clearly aware of it. It was interesting to watch, knowing what he knew.

"All right, Jasmin, I have to get back to work before Daddy thinks I'm sloughing off. Thank you for walking around with me. You, too, Ivy."

She slid the stirring rod out of Jasmin's hand. Jasmin didn't seem too keen on that, but settled down once she saw Ivy relinquished hers without a fight. Hermione returned to the lab table to start on the cough draught that was next on her list. He was giving her faster, somewhat easier potions. Not because he didn't think she couldn't handle others, but it freed him up to do the more complex ones.

And if she got bored or decided she didn't want to spend her Saturday in the dungeons with him after all it wouldn't affect much.

"That was nice of you, thank you."

"It was nice to step away from the table for a few minutes and I'm sure she'd like to see higher than her own height for a bit. My next break I'll pick up Ivy or maybe set her on one of the counters. With your permission."

"Do you babysit the eldest Potter boy?"

"I have, of course, sure. Why?"

"You are good at it," he said simply.

"Well, I've never really been around kids so it's just guessing and going with what I remember working on me."

"I'm afraid I don't have the sort of example I'd want to model my parenting after."

"Oh, of course, but you at least know what you do not want to do."

Silence. She was right. He'd never really thought about it that way. He was aware every time a situation passed without bad things happening that he was glad that these girls didn't have his father.

"May I ask a question?"

"I'm sure you are capable of it," she said.

He knew she was being cheeky so let it slide. That she believed she could be cheeky with him was an appealing thought. He was so very tired of people walking around him as if they weren't sure he was going to hex them if they said the wrong thing.

"Why are you here?"

"What do you mean?"

"You have a job at the Ministry, do you not? One that doesn't involve Hogwarts. So why are you here?"

"Oh, I was working for the Department of Magical Creatures and I evidently irritated someone or made them feel inferior. I have no idea as I wasn't told. I was unofficially transferred to the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. Unofficially because they're still telling me I'm on loan due to a shortage." She shrugged. He could tell she was (rightfully so) frustrated. "This came up, Harry got permission from Kingsley to use me, knowing that I'm his best option for actually getting any research done."

"And yet, you've found nothing thus far."

"Not so far, no. At least I have access to all of the books now."

He couldn't help but chuckle at that. "When we're done here I could show you my personal collection. If anything there might be of assistance."

"Oh, really?" she asked, looking pleased and suspicious at the same time.

"What's that look for?"

"I don't know. Why are you being nice to me?"

It was his turn to shrug.

Why indeed?

Because he was hoping that some exposure to this Hermione would quell Ivy and Jasmin's feelings of abandonment.

That the letter that had accompanied the girls indicating that universe's version of him had come to not just care for but seemingly love that version of this witch left him wondering if it was possible he could, too. For his version of said witch.

And vice versa.

It was a ridiculous thought. She was nearly twenty years younger than him. And yet she'd asked a few questions but she hadn't accused him of being a womanizing git or anything. And she seemed to express genuine concern as to the well being of the mother.

The irony there.

She was a hard worker and her assistance was not lacking or subpar. There was no one else he could think of who would willingly give up a Saturday to brew. Yet she was here. She was at Hogwarts for an assignment. Something covert Minerva was being very tightlipped about.

He guessed his daughters had something to do with it. He just didn't know what Minerva was up to. He also wasn't sure he should outright ask or offer to assist her in her endeavour. Getting her answers would lead to her being able to leave sooner.

That may be for the best all around. If she was here much longer, both girls would continue to get more and more attached. He suspected he might, too, but he would recover. He wasn't so sure about them.

"You are a tolerable lab partner and you aided me in picking out books for my daughters. Not to mention giving us some of your own. You haven't accused me of wrongdoing or assumed the worst, seemingly at any rate, as to my situation with them or their mother."

"Oh, well, I won't deny I'm curious, but clearly she left them with you versus anyone else she had available to her. That implies to me she trusts you, which I would take to mean she doesn't think you did anything wrong. I mean, if I had a child and thought I had to leave her. Well," she shrugged.

"What?"

"Oh, it will probably sound bad, but I would choose Harry over Ron. If both of us were in danger. I honestly don't know who I'd choose. Because if Harry was in danger that would mean Ginny was, too. So she wouldn't be an option."

"I'm sure you would figure something out. You are a resourceful witch."

"I guess I would," she said, nibbling on that lower lip she liked to do when she was thinking. He saw a slight lift of her lips that hinted at the fact that his words might have just pleased her.

Well, that was interesting.

He was also very curious what she'd said to Jasmin earlier that she obviously had not wanted him to hear.

Return to Top

Part 4 | Part 6

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com