***Chapter Fourteen***

June 2012

"What is with you?" Harry asked.

"I'm nervous," she admitted.

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"Ah," Harry said.

"What ah?"

"Severus is walking towards us."

"He and Eden are spending a week with us."

"A week. My…"

"Stop it, Harry."

This was decided on when it was evident that spending weekends together, at his place or hers, wasn't enough. She'd been worried it was just the sex, but they talked about that and decided it wasn't just sex. They couldn't, and didn't, have sex every second of every day.

Last weekend he'd visited her and they'd spent hours walking around the downtown area of her town. There was a comic book store there owned by a friend of hers. She'd hesitated to go in when he wanted to. They'd been out together since April: dinner, movies, walks, and so forth but she hadn't run into anyone she knew well while with him. (She didn't get the impression he knew anyone near their house in Saskatoon.)

So, he'd met Rey.

It was a side of Severus she never imagined seeing, as they talked various comics. She wasn't sure why she never stopped to think that he would like such a thing. She saw no evidence of him having a comic collection in his home while she lived there, but that wasn't saying much. They could have been boxed up, especially if he was a child when he'd gotten them.

She was pretty sure it was all over town by now that Hermione had a husband . She suspected that was his point. She hadn't complained about going to town with him so frequently. As the weather improved, it was fun to witness the town change from winter to preparing for the tourists and summer residents.

Stores that were only open part-time, or very limited hours, during the winter, were prepping to be busy. Stores updated their window displays. And people were just generally a little more pleasant knowing that winter was finally behind them for a few months.

"He likes you," Severus said when they left the store.

"He does not."

"Oh, Hermione, yes, he absolutely does. An attractive, intelligent woman coming into his store seemingly regular enough he knows you by name."

"So?"

"Trust me."

"That's why you told him you were my husband?"

"Mm, well, aside from the fact it is who I am, yes."

"Bastard."

"That's not at all what you called me this morning."

She couldn't help but laugh because he wasn't wrong. Bastard hadn't entered her mind at all.

"You weren't being a possessive…"

He stopped walking then, tugging her to him as they were holding hands. He let go of her hand, brushing her hair away from the left side of her neck. "I was actually being a possessive arse this morning."

"Yes, well," she said, knowing she was blushing. And knowing exactly what he was talking about. He'd left her a hickey. She was nearly thirty-three years old and had never had a hickey before now. "That's different."

"It's better to have a hickey than a husband?" He sounded legitimately puzzled.

"Well, no, but, you know, I live here."

"Yes, well, Eden will be here, at least part of the summer. So, probably best they get used to your family doubling."

"I suppose." She had no idea how that would go over. Her parents were thrilled, of course. They had, kindly, followed her lead when it came to the topic of Eden over the years. They'd seemed so … relieved the whole separation was over.

He leaned in then, kissing her so thoroughly there on the street in front of anyone and everyone. She didn't care, though.

Except when he stopped.

"Am I forgiven for being a possessive bastard?"

"For now."

"I will endeavor to thoroughly beg your forgiveness later in our bed."

She was pretty sure he was forgiven the moment he called it their bed. They'd visited one another, trying to keep it even, but he seemed to end up at her house a few more times than she ended up visiting him the past two months. They'd been very careful, until that moment, to avoid calling anything theirs or ours. The fact that he considered her bed theirs was probably more of a turn-on at that moment than him kissing her as thoroughly as he had just finished doing.

"More importantly," Harry continued, "is he going to have his own room?"

"No," Severus said. "He is not."

"Hi Severus," Harry said, smiling ridiculously. Cheeky bastard! Just who's best friend was he, anyway!?

"We actually haven't decided that for certain yet," Hermione interjected.

"Yes, we have. They are twelve and are aware, or at least suspect, we have spent time together since Easter holiday break. Eden told me she noticed their birthday presents came together via my owl. I think I can refrain from ravishing you on the dining room table, or anything else equally public, while they're home."

"You wouldn't be able to if they weren't home?" Harry asked.

"Harry!" She spun to face Severus, pointing at him. "Do not."

"Okay then. So dining room table sex is a thing in the Snape household because if it wasn't, she'd just say no. That's all I need to know. Really," Harry said and Severus scoffed. "And are Leonard's parents aware that you're kind of living in sin?"

"They are aware that we have two residences," Severus said. This was said with a bit of a sigh, because it had taken a bit to explain why Eden would only be with Hermione for a few weeks of the summer. They'd been fine, eventually, but Hermione could imagine a family who had twelve children. Well, what she and Severus had done would seem very odd.

Morgana, they were lucky that their daughters were talking to them! That they didn't want to go home with Leonard for the summer. Leonard coming with for the beginning of the summer was good. It would ease everyone into a different dynamic. They'd have to have a conversation with both girls, though, make sure they were okay with everything that was happening.

To make sure that they didn't hate them. Still a very distinct possibility. Hermione considered them both lucky their daughters had taken this whole thing in stride. It could have gone very differently. She wasn't ruling out both girls needing therapy either. For now, they seemed okay.

"Mm," Harry said.

Leonard Miller was coming home with the girls for the first three weeks of summer break. Hermione couldn't quite figure out why he wanted to go from one house full of girls to another house full of them. She suspected his crush on Eden had something to do with it, and she didn't think he'd last two seconds at Severus and Eden's home without someone there to act as a buffer. She supposed, too, there was a vast difference between a house of three witches and what he had at his house. It sounded like in addition to the three that were at Ilvermorny this year, three of the remaining eight sisters were still living at, or near, Leo's home. Plus his mother.

"And you are without a plus one, Harry?" Severus asked.

"For now. I might bring her sometime this summer. I'm not sure she'd really care to see Eden learn to water ski. I do, and don't want to feel as if I can't or shouldn't. She hasn't had years of showing me new stuff she learned."

"Understandable."

Hermione thought so, too. She also knew that Severus was a little concerned that Pansy would think her son and one of their daughters would make a good match.

"I realize she's not seventeen any longer, but it will take me some time to adjust to a Pansy Parkinson who is willingly dating The Boy Who Lived."

"I understand, Severus. Believe me, I have my own things to worry about getting over with her."

"I will admit, they would make a striking couple."

"You're not wrong," Hermione said.

"And that would be rather incestuous, wouldn't it? Her child courting one of our daughters, who Harry is godfather to?"

Hermione laughed softly. "I'm not sure that anyone else would see it that way, but you're not wrong in that it would be odd. So, you don't care because he's a squib?"

"No," he said with a shrug. "Honestly, after watching my parents, if they're going to marry someone non-magical, I might prefer a squib. Less secrecy."

"That makes sense," she said with a nod. She didn't care, and there wasn't anything saying a squib couldn't produce a magical child.

"Thank you. I still cannot believe he got out of that whole decree."

"Being a living horcrux had its perks, I guess."

"I suppose so."

The girls and Leonard joined them on the platform. More people noticed them here, at the end of the school year, than had at the beginning of the school year. Leonard had spotted Harry right away, but thirteen years post-war was enough to make things not as fresh for everyone. Especially eleven and twelve year olds. The three of them here, though: Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Severus Snape. Well, they drew some attention, especially from older students who would have been alive with some memories from when the war ended.

"We are ready then?" Severus said, sounding not impatient exactly, but definitely ready to get away from being stared at. "Everyone has everything they need."

"We do," all three of the students said.

"All right. Be sure to thank Harry so that we can each take one of you."

Severus apparated with Eden, Hermione with Mia, and Harry with Leonard.

Hermione, with Severus' and Harry's help (it was so odd to have two sets of extra hands) was able to ensure the dock was in place and everything the kids could want to do or use was ready to go. The water was still cool, but not too bad. Certainly water skiing, canoeing, and the like would be comfortable. She'd made sure that Leonard knew how to swim when discussing with his parents him coming here. At twelve, she didn't have to watch Mia as close as she used to anymore. She still checked on her when she was in the water for a long time, but she was like a fish, so Hermione didn't fret as she had when Mia was four and five.

"Let's go see the lake," Mia said almost as soon as they'd all settled in. Most of Leonard's belongings were going home with his sisters. He had enough to get him through a couple of weeks.

Hermione was not surprised the lake was what she wanted to show them first. Eden had seen it, but it was still frozen at Easter.

Crookshanks was a little put off by the commotion. He seemed to have gotten rather used to a pretty calm domicile the past few months. He was old, too, which probably didn't help him adapt to such a sudden change. Cooper and Beanie for their parts were ecstatic. Beanie put her paws on the screen door when the kids went outside to watch while Cooper ran out after them.

"I don't know why you keep her in here at home when you know she gets out at Ilvermorny," Severus said.

"I know. I don't know that there are coyotes and wolves at Ilvermorny though."

"Really?" Harry drawled.

"I've never seen one!"

Both wizards scoffed. She knew it sounded crazy. There were likely all sorts of critters near Ilvermorny just as there had been near Hogwarts.



Harry came downstairs a while later, after putting his own things away.

"It's so weird seeing all of those rooms having evidence of life in them."

"All those rooms," Hermione said. "Eden and Mia are sharing. That leaves Leo with the guest room and you with yours."

"I know, it's just weird. There's like double what I'm used to seeing in Mia's room. And someone's already put stuff in the bathroom."

He made his way to the island her kitchen offered.

"So. We doing the traditional fire and smores then?"

She nodded, glancing outside to ensure the weather didn't look like it was going to take a turn for the worse suddenly.

"I think so. A little later in the season than we're used to, but yes, I think that'll be a good thing to do tonight."

"All right."

"What are we doing?" Severus asked as Harry was gathering the boxes of graham crackers, bags of marshmallows, and chocolate bars.

"A bonfire. Cooking smores," Hermione offered.

"You've never had a smore, Severus?" Harry asked.

"I, no," he said simply.

"Oh, well, you'll love them. That means Eden hasn't either then. Hmm. All right then. I wonder if Leo has?" Hermione asked. She sort of took for granted Severus would have. Where? Well, she had no idea. She just assumed he had somewhere.

Severus sat, looking somewhat uncomfortable while she and Harry worked on getting food together for everyone to eat outside. He offered to help, and he did when she asked him to get this or stir that. She and Harry knew what to do by now, so it was just automatic to them as far as what they needed.

"The three of you did this every summer?"

"Many times a summer," Hermione said. "I don't think you realize how much I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that Mia lives outdoors. Last summer there were days she left after breakfast and I didn't see her until dark. I'd see her or her bike on the drive or something."

"I guess so."

Eventually, they made it outside with everything they needed to be out there for a while. Harry started the grill because he liked doing so the muggle way. Burgers and brats were cooked by Harry and Severus, and all three kids ate a plate full before returning to the lake.

Hermione noticed Severus glanced in the direction of the dock when - she guessed - Eden squealed. She guessed Eden because it looked to her as if Mia was trying to show Leo and Eden how to bait a hook for fishing.

"She is okay," Hermione said. "Funny, she's probably watched you cut up and dice all sorts of things, but putting a minnow on a hook makes her squeamish."

"They can fish right from here?"

"Yes. They won't catch anything trophy-worthy, but Mia knows how to release them back into the water for tonight. I'm sure one morning she'll catch some and keep them for dinner."

Eventually, all three of them were seated cross legged on the dock with their poles in the water. If they were talking, it was very soft so they couldn't hear what was being said here in the yard.

If Eden and Leo were like the other kids Mia had over in years' past, they'd take a break, come up and get some more snacks before heading back down. That would be repeated more than once. Hermione went through a lot of food during the summers because it was rarely just Mia here, but she didn't mind. She liked that Mia wanted to be at their house, and that her friends did, too. So, she fed them.

Once the sun set, Hermione let Harry and Severus work on that night's fire while she put things back in the kitchen that couldn't sit out. Unless Eden and Leo were vastly different, things like chips would be snacked on until the fire died.



"So, you liked smores?" Hermione asked in bed later. It was nearly three in the morning by the time everyone got themselves to bed. It was a nice enough night she left the sliding door in her room open. The screen door kept bugs (and anything else) out. The sounds, though, of loons calling and the lake lapping against the shore. It was … nice. Even nicer to be laying here with someone who seemed to enjoy the tranquil sounds, too.

"I did. I apologize if I was quiet."

"It's a lot to take in," she said.

"You know, I really hadn't stopped to think what we might be missing. You and me. I mean, I started off disbelieving you truly just left as you did. And then. Well, I did what I could to ensure Eden didn't have the upbringing I had."

"She clearly hasn't."

"But I watch you, and Harry. These things you just take for granted doing."

She turned onto her side, running a finger along his jaw.

"I don't take for granted doing them. That's why I make sure to do them. Mia likes them. It would have been so easy to do nothing. To not let her do the sports and activities she wanted to do. I didn't want that, though. I wanted her to have a better childhood than I did. I'm not blaming my parents, don't get me wrong, but I do wish they might have encouraged me to realize it was okay to be bookish and still do things with people."

He snorted.

"I found myself jealous of my twelve year old daughter. And Harry Potter."

"Oh, Severus, maybe it was too much the first night we were all together? I just know Mia would have missed it. The lake. The yard."

"Understandable. Your parents stayed away because I'm here?" They'd met him by now, and were a little … distant with him. They weren't rude or anything, but they weren't rushing to welcome him with open arms either. She imagined they would be like that until Hermione told them what they were doing. She didn't know what they were doing!

"They did. They'll come by tomorrow or the next day. They figured it might be a little much for everyone if they were here, too."

"Mm," he said with a grimace.

Silence as they both seemed to let the sounds of the northwoods night lull them to sleep.

"Severus," she whispered.

"Mm," he murmured.

"Do you think you could be home here?"

He kissed the top of her head.

"It is very different. It's really just been Eden and me."

"I understand."

"That was not a no, Hermione. It's a we still need to talk about that possibility."

"I'd hate to move."

She had so much stuff now compared to when she followed her parents here. It wasn't even just her belongings. It was her life. She had friends here. Not close friends, as Harry was, but people she stopped to talk to when she saw them at the local diner or the small mall the town offered. Parents she sat with at Mia's games and events.

"I know, and I would feel bad taking the girls away from your parents."

"Eden doesn't know them well yet, obviously, but Mia would miss them."

Silence. She could sense that he was thinking. He wasn't relaxed as he usually was when going to sleep was his intention.

"Do you want me to be home here?"

"I miss you when you're gone."

"Is that just the sex talking?"

"We didn't have sex tonight," she murmured.

"No, but I'm here so you can't miss me."

"I know, but my point was we can be together in bed and not have sex."

"I was beginning to wonder…"

"Are you complaining?"

He scoffed. "Hardly. I don't know any man who would complain about your appetites."

"Mm," she said, turning so she could rest her head against his chest.

He hadn't liked sleeping without a shirt on when she first started staying at his house. He'd quickly come to terms with the fact that she did not find his body distasteful. She hadn't had to ask him to leave the shirt off once since April. She liked that he remembered.

"I would be willing to try. I'd have to return to Saskatchewan for work."

"Yes, but you can apparate."

"I can. Eden would be here with you then?"

"That's up to you. I'm not trying to hog her. Or keep her and you get neither of them."

He nodded a bit at that. He did know. She knew he did, though it would be a sneaky way of going about it, if she wanted to.

"I know that you are not."

"Good."

"Let's see how this week goes and then we can make an educated decision based on a week of the four of us, five with Mr. Miller, under the same roof. It may be too much."

"Okay," she said.

"That's not a no. That's a twelve years is a long time, and I don't want to make a mistake again."

"I understand."

"I think they have a romanticized ideal of their mother and father getting together, and the reality may not live up to expectations."

"Are we really going to make a decision about the rest of our lives based on their reaction?"

"I don't know. They are why we are here. Again, I'm not saying no. I'm saying let's take some time before we make more life altering decisions. And actually communicate this time before making any."

"M'kay," she murmured.

"Sleep, my witch."

That was the last thing she heard until the next morning when Harry knocked on her bedroom door to tell her that he was leaving.

*****

The week went by entirely too fast. He almost didn't want to sleep, afraid he'd shortchange himself time: with Hermione or Mia.

Eden tried to learn to water ski. He imagined with some more practice, she'd succeed. She wasn't clumsy. She just didn't really have anyone to do these things with until now, so had no interest. She learned how to bait her own fishing hook. She learned to canoe. She wasn't crazy about baiting hooks, but liked canoeing. She preferred walking in the water with swim shoes on versus barefoot.

As for Hermione, they both seemed to be approaching this week as a test to see if they could make sharing space together work. The weekends they'd spent between Easter holidays and now had been mostly sex with a bit of conversation and other things mixed in.

The past week, they cooked together. He learned how Eden, Mia, and Leonard liked their hamburgers cooked. He had no desire to learn to water ski, but he learned to drive the boat as well as a jetski.

He assisted in household duties, which there were a lot more of with a dog, two cats, a witch, and three twelve year olds than he was accustomed to.

He drove the children into town to see a movie or go to the mall. (Mall was putting it nicely. It made Cokeworth's look like a palace. It wasn't terribly lame, having around forty stores.) Evidently, this was a past-time that children enjoyed. The mall was not very large, and Hermione assured him that they were safe.

His last scheduled night, which was a Saturday, they made their own outdoor theater by fastening white sheets to the side of the barn. Another bonfire, smores, and all the movie snacks three children could want (and a few things that he and Hermione wanted) they watched Ghostbusters (a movie he had seen) , Men In Black, and Angels In the Outfield .

He had been so focused on the kids, listening to them react to the movies that he failed to notice that Hermione was crying toward the end of the third movie.

"You have seen this before, have you not?" he asked, offering her a handkerchief.

"Yes," she said. "That doesn't mean it still doesn't make me cry."

He was pretty sure Mia was already asleep, but Leonard and Eden were not. Perhaps because neither of them had seen the film before. Who knew? Both were attentive to the movie, so he leaned in and brushed a kiss along her jaw and then her cheek, taking away the few tears that had escaped with his lips.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"Thank you for sharing this with me."

"I'm glad you didn't think all of this was silly."

"I'm not sure I could find anything you do silly, Hermione."

"There's a drive-in movie theater about one hundred miles from here. It's a long drive. Mia and I did it once, spending the night in a nearby town. She loved it, though, so I came up with this idea," she said, gesturing to her makeshift outdoor movie screen.

"It works."

"It does."

"You would want me to return?"

"I don't want you to go."

"Well, I have to go to work."

"I know."

"I do not have to return to that home."

"It feels so fast, Severus."

"Twelve years is not too fast, Hermione!"

"I know. I just."

"If we hadn't spent every weekend, hours, together for months I'd say it's moving too fast. And, no offense, but I think starting off our time alone together with a marathon sex session that would probably make Lucius and Draco envious, makes it a little late to be talking too fast."

"Oh, God, you kissed me, and I realized it'd been so long since I allowed myself to feel. Anything."

"I know."

He knew first hand what it was to allow himself to feel nothing. To be stagnant. At least the past twelve years, he had Eden. She wasn't Hermione, but at least people didn't look at him and find him pathetic for being in love with Lily as they had done in the past.

"If I could recruit Harry, I could have our things here by the end of the week."

"Really?"

"The house was furnished, a few things are mine but not many. I have learned to travel rather lightly over the years. If they truly want my services, then they could deal with my demands. Anything I really want or need is at the Spinner's End home."

"I see," she said. "And the next lab is not going to be in Canada."

"Well, you can do your work almost anywhere, can't you? The potions aside, I realize. Your parents could assist with the sales and inventory if you were gone for any length of time. I mean you're intelligent, you could pass the bar or work as an accountant anywhere. Working as an accountant, you could bring it with you, with me, while they're at school and return when needed. Your familiar and that beast of a dog can join us, too."

"You have thought of this."

"I have thought of what I need to do to ensure you say yes, and agree to come with me when you can. There is another thought…"

"Which is?"

"I don't have to continue doing what I do. After ten years of this, I'm not sure how much more I can do, honestly. I could quit being a wizarding world cog and open an apothecary here…"

"You're going to compete against me?"

He snorted. "It would be our apothecary."

"Oh," she said.

He knew she was teasing. She didn't supply a whole lot, and it sounded as if it was more medicinal tonics to muggles than actual potions. She made it seem as if she purposely did not seek out magical folks around here, though she knew there were some. And she did supply potions to them.

"For that matter," he shrugged. "I have enough saved…"

"I do not. I'm not destitute, but I can't quit my job. There's college to think of."

He chuckled.

"I have enough saved for both of us. I have been pretty frugal in my lifetime. Less so the past twelve years."

"Yes, they do get costly, don't they?"

"Indeed. I would very much like to see what kind of home we could build. Here. It is private, which I like, and I see how much Mia loves it. Eden has enjoyed the week, too."

"Yes."

"It helps, too, that my skill set is rather … Well, there aren't others out there with it. So, I can demand whatever I want as compensation."

"Is that right?" she asked. She was amused, not affronted. He had reason to say such things, though. It was true.

"I haven't gouged them, but I am the one picking up and moving. So, yes, I have ensured my pockets would not be bare."

"As you have the right to do."

"We don't have to decide today. I can apparate back and forth for now, and we can make a decision when they return to Ilvermorny. I should be done with this job by then."

"You wouldn't get tired of it?"

"No. I will work with Harry to get my belongings here. Your basement will be sufficient until we decide what to do."

"You're sure?"

"I'm actually more worried about you than myself."

"Why?" she asked.

"Mm. Unlike myself, you are quite a catch."

"The numbers I ran said you were, too."

He snorted softly.

"Yes, well, honestly, it may very well be about time for traveling-Severus to cancel his standing portkey order. The magical world can figure out their own potions labs. I presumed when Eden finished her schooling I'd do it anyway."

"Really?" she asked.

"That surprises you?"

"A little. I assumed that you like what you do. It's right up your alley. Ensuring potions labs around the world are set up and staffed correctly."

"You're not entirely wrong. After having to stay at Hogwarts for as long as I did. Well, the vagabond life held some appeal. I homeschooled Eden with the assistance of tutors, so it didn't matter so long as we had access to the books and materials that she needed. The luster has worn off some. It did a while ago, but I wanted to at least get her into school before I thought about what I did next. Saskatoon is not exactly one of the Seven Wonders of the World. And they're going to be smaller and more obscure than that from now on. Once she's done, she wouldn't need or likely want to travel with me anymore. I presume anyway. She'd have a job or be at university."

She looked at him then, smiling. "You want to be near her."

"Well, yes. She is my daughter."

"That's so sweet, Severus."

He scoffed. "Thank you," he said.

"So you really want to do that?"

"Yes. That will give us the summer to acclimate, and us something to look forward to when they return to school."

She laughed softly. "Scoundrel."

"Bedrooms are boring."

"Mm."

" You are not boring. Just having to be tied to one room, when for the past couple of months we could be wherever and whenever we wished to."

She blushed and he laughed at that.

"And if come September either of us feel it is not working…"

"We'll talk about it," she murmured.

"I agree. Under one condition."

"Oh?"

"We have actual outings together. As a couple."

"Dates, you mean?"

"If one can have a date with one's spouse, then yes. They don't have to be hours' long excursions, but we need to endeavor not to spend all of our time with Eden and Mia."

"I think you can twist my arm into some outings."

"Excellent. I think if we'd done that the first time, we may not be in the situation we are currently."

"You never…"

"I didn't think you'd want to!"

"Did you want to?"

"At first, no, admittedly not. I mean, we did things…"

"I know. I'm not accusing you of keeping me locked away at Spinner's End. I didn't want to really either." She reached then, grazing the back of his hand with a finger. "I think it was easier to compartmentalize if we didn't."

"You're not wrong."

"And, honestly, I was still in shock that Kingsley couldn't find a way out."

"Also not wrong."

She laced her fingers through his and he squeezed lightly.

"I'm sorry. I really messed things up, didn't I?"

"We were both adults and in the house. Neither of us had much experience with relationships. Or feelings. Tack onto that, we created our children because the wizarding world essentially ordered us to," he shrugged. "I'm still not overly proficient at expressing myself, but I am better than I was then. And as I said on the platform in April. I will not be the reason you leave again."

"Do I get to pick our dates?"

"As I don't know the area well, I would assume so."

She laughed then and he arched a brow at her. "What did I just agree to?"

"Nothing not fun."

He rolled his eyes.

"I'm sure I will enjoy whatever you choose."

"Good answer," she murmured.

Return to Top

Part 13 | Part 15

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com