***Chapter Thirteen***

Leo was silent as Mia opened the present and card from her mum. Eden had gotten mail, too, of course.

"What are you staring at?" she asked him. She wasn't the first student to get mail for her birthday.

He shrugged. She rolled her eyes.

"Leo?" She knew that look. He was thinking something.

"It's nothing, really. I mean, other than noticing that the same owl dropped your present off as Eden's."

"That's not…"

"Possible? It is if your mom and dad are able to use the same owl for some reason."

She stopped opening the envelope and thought of what that could mean. How they could use the same owl.

"Like they're together?"

"That would be the assumption. It's his owl, I presume. I doubt he'd send it to Minnesota on its way here." Her mom didn't have an owl. Leo knew that.

"You're sure," she asked. She narrowed her eyes at him. It was mail-time. It could have been any owl dropping off their stuff? "How did you notice that?"

"I, um," he shrugged. "Might have been watching Eden, and it dropped hers first."

She rolled her eyes. It was a good thing that she didn't like Leo, or she'd probably hate Eden right now.

She tugged on the sleeve of his robes as she stood, dragging him with her as they walked toward Eden's table.

The other Horned Serpents looked up curiously, returning their attention to their own breakfasts when they saw it was just Mia. Eden and Mia had become fixtures at one another's tables since they'd returned from Easter holidays.

"Happy Birthday," Mia said as Eden stood so they could hug.

"Happy Birthday."

"Leo says the same owl dropped off my card and gift as yours."

Eden clearly caught on to what that meant faster than Mia had, and she was a little ashamed of that. Her mind just hadn't instantly gone to her parents sending their gifts together.

"Oh my God," Eden said. She didn't scream it, but it was loud enough that more than a few sitting near them turned their heads to look at them. "They were together! They sent our gifts together!"

"It would seem so. It was Dad's owl?"

"Yeah," she said.

They hugged again, jumping up and down at the very idea that they'd gotten their parents to do more than talk! They were together!

"Miss Snape!" Headmaster McGillan said.

"Yes," they both said, turning to face the head table. Mia wasn't sure why Eden was the one who was getting in trouble. (Obviously, the headmaster would know which of them was which because of the serpent on Eden's tie and the thunderbird on Mia's.)

"I was not addressing you, Miss Granger. Back to the Thunderbird table with you and Mr. Miller."

"Yes, Sir," Mia said.

"You were registered under Granger. You will answer to your correct name."

It was on the tip of her tongue to correct him, or protest, but this wasn't the place. If for nothing else, their parents wouldn't … like the attention of the whole school being on them (Eden and Mia or their parents).

She and Leo walked back to their table, taking their seats.

She opened the card, which was signed by both her mom and dad. She'd never seen Severus Snape's handwriting before. It was very different from her mom's. She supposed it was hard to tell from just the word "Dad". Would he write her back, she wondered?

Her present was some sweets from the local chocolate shop back home and a new sweater as well as a muggle picture of her and her dad. She wondered if Eden got the other picture, because Eden and their mom had taken one at the same time.

"Do you think he'd write to me?" she asked once she'd finished looking at the photograph.

"I don't see why he wouldn't," Leo said. He looked as if he thought that might be a ridiculous question. Maybe it was. She wasn't sure.

Except.

"I don't know what to say."

"Say whatever you want," Leo said. "Make a list of questions, which I know you know how to do. Work them into a letter."

She nodded, taking a bite out of the chocolate covered potato chip that was part of her present. "That's a good idea."

Unless.

"What if he thinks it's ridiculous?"

"I doubt he'd think that. I don't think you could come up with a ridiculous question, Mia."

"Why is the sky blue?"

"And, knowing who your dad is, he'd give you some sort of scientific answer to explain why it is. So, not ridiculous."

He had a point.

"What if he thinks I'm silly?"

"Mia. Write him. Don't write him. He's not going to think you're silly either way. He's your father!"

"Yes, but Eden's much more serious …"

"That doesn't mean he expects you to be, too. Besides, she's gotten a bit less serious since she started hanging out with you."

"You think so?"

"I do."

He would know!

"Thanks, Leo," she said, leaning in to kiss him on the cheek.

"Happy Birthday," he said.

"Thank you!"

She was sure he'd find a way to say that to Eden later today, too.

So, their parents were together.

Were they together together?

She ran a hand along the sweater, glancing over at Eden. She could barely see her, but she seemed to know Mia was looking for her.

They'd done it. Hadn't they? They met their parents and got them to talk, and now they seemed to be together.

That was good. Right? It was what she wanted. What they both spoke of wanting. She wasn't sure either of them really thought it could happen. Nearly twelve years was a long time.

For them to be apart.

For them to raise two children apart.

She and Eden wouldn't be home much from here on out, so wasn't their parents not being apart important?

Oddly, no one had asked them any questions as to why they came back together when they hadn't come together in September. Did they not notice? Not care? Cared, but were minding their business? Making up their own stories as to why? She hadn't noticed any gossip about them, so didn't think that was it.

Did their parents using the same owl mean Eden would be coming home with her in June? All summer? She returned her attention to her birthday card.

All summer with her sister sounded amazing!

*****

Dear Mia,

I was pleasantly surprised to receive your letter. I was, in fact, in your bedroom the other day. Your mother and I were measuring the various bedrooms to ensure yours was the largest, presuming you and your sister won't want to sleep in separate rooms when you're with us.

The trophies, ribbons, and certificates you've received over the years for your achievements are commendable. Some would dismiss them, saying you were a child, but I know your mother. And presume you are, like Eden is, prone to only doing your best no matter your age.

Do you miss it? I know there are activities to do at Ilvermorny, but it is not the same as the structured activities you had here.

As to the … questions … that you peppered in throughout the letter. Further proof you are your mother's daughter. (I imagine Eden wrote a letter to your mother with a similar series of questions.) Will you allow me to think over my answers and we can sit down and answer them, together, when I see you in July? Mayhaps all four of us can. Unless you want it to be something just you and I do.

I will answer one, though, today.

You asked my favorite day. I presume you were trying to gauge how much of a self-centered jerk I am, by answering my birthdate. Or whether I'd lie to you and give you the date your mother and I married.

April 24, 2000.

I contented myself with my lot in life. I was an expendable spy. I had no plans on surviving the second war. I did, bitter and jaded, convinced I would live out my life alone in the home I'd miserably grown up in. A home that the only time I can recall laughter or … brightness in it, was while your mother lived there. Your mother showed up on my doorstep telling me of the decree. And, well, while I still to this day thought she was crazy for wanting me to father a child with her, that is the date I became that. A date that quite literally changed my life forever. I don't know if I'm the greatest father, and I imagine you would have some opinions to offer on whether I should even be in contention for such a moniker, but I have found it agrees with me. I look forward to fathering both you and Eden going forward.

Greet Mr. Miller for me. And your sister, of course.

Be well,

Love,

Dad

Return to Top

Part 12 | Part 14

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com