***Chapter Four***

Severus found his way outside of the classroom he knew Hermione's current class was. She'd told him her schedule during their week together, probably not realizing he would commit it to memory. He had to ask for directions to the building, and then the location of the classroom the class was being taught in. He was tired, sore, and both he and Harry had a few more stories to add to their collections. It mattered little, because he was here, and as a result of this trip there was one less foul Death Eater on the loose.

Some might question why he agreed to this assignment. Voldemort was defeated. The war was over. He could have claimed he was done. That he'd paid his penance and served his sentence. He wasn't sure there was anyone who would have blamed or argued with him. Spoke ill of him? Yes, but they would do that anyway. He did it because there were enough of them free who had … knowledge that wouldn't stop them from continuing to spread the Dark Lord's hate.

The hate would always be there, there was no doubt about that. However, allowing followers to go unpunished sent a bad precedent, at least to Severus' mind. The end of the war coming at the defeat of the Dark Lord also didn't mean that the Death Eaters wouldn't elevate someone else to a replacement leader and do something crazy. No one that he knew of was aware of the horcruxes, but that didn't mean there weren't any out there that caught on to what Tom was doing. Regulus had, according to Kreacher anyway. (He was fairly certain it was this information, and not anything Severus himself had actually done, that made Sirius Black tolerate him these days.) Who was to say others hadn't? Or that there was someone with knowledge of the horcruxes who might think there were more than there were and attempt to bring Tom back.

Not to say that there weren't some who very well could return to their lives and never look back at their involvement again. Not all who followed were completely hateful bastards. Some got swept up. Severus knew how easy that was. Some were on the outskirts, only seeing some of the bad. Some, though, would crave it. Their lives without that would now be meaningless. Especially now that they'd had let their bloodlust loose. And found that they enjoyed it.

Severus had come to … care for the magical world, and more than a few muggleborns along the way, to allow anyone else to try again.

Obviously, Harry's mother was the first. He no longer thought of their friendship as a tragic tale. A learning example? Yes. For more than just him, honestly, to anyone who chose to study things. He wasn't the only half-blood who had muggle friends.

Colin Creevey, for instance. The wizard began his time at Hogwarts as an eleven year old muggleborn, who did little more than follow Harry Potter around like a puppy. (Annoying Severus to no end. The first war was about more than Harry.) His constant picture taking annoyed most. Those who weren't annoyed and did tolerate it, still found it tedious. The boy was relentless, though, and didn't let the taunting dissuade him from following his passion for picture taking. From what Kingsley said, the wizard was now working for the Daily Prophet covering magical and muggle happenings with his picture taking.

That annoying habit of constant picture taking had netted the Order clues about the first horcrux, that being Tom Riddle's diary, as well as other information over the years that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. People tended to forget that a person with a camera still had ears while their flash was going off. Or they were so interested in wanting their picture taken (or escaping the attempt) that they weren't mindful of their surroundings or what they were holding. Or who (or what) was potentially in the background.

And then there was the reason he was here now.

A muggleborn witch.

His muggleborn witch.

A witch who had said she understood why buying a mobile telephone in Lithuania was probably not the best place to purchase one and, seemingly, had not taken it as a lame attempt at getting out of calling her.

She could, of course, call him without the bill resulting in donating a body part in order to cover the charge. And she had. Several times. He just hated that she was the one who had to call him. He knew things were different now, but he'd been raised that men should do the work. He should be the one calling. Antiquated thinking (Harry confirmed this) and she clearly didn't mind calling him. It still bothered him that she might think she was doing the bulk of the work while he was off doing something she didn't know about. Buying a mobile telephone was the second thing he'd see to this afternoon.

It hadn't been easy to be apart so soon after finding one another. In some ways, though, he wondered if it wasn't … good. It gave them a chance to talk. Their phone calls never lasted very long, but they actually had to communicate. Engage in small talk, which was not something either seemed proficient at. Granted, it was her offering most of the current information about her classes and such. He couldn't tell her specifics. He could answer her questions about his past though.

It seemed she did have some familiarity with things from the Daily Prophet , but it was clear her school did a pretty sufficient job of keeping them safe. Sheltered, maybe, but she did say they were all aware there was danger to them as muggleborn witches and wizards.

All that to him being here today when she wasn't aware he was returning. He hadn't been certain either. Once they were done, they packed up and returned. Neither wanted to spend another minute in Lithuania or under magical Poland's hospitality.

He had been gone for three months.

He had to know before even going home if he'd taken too long. She'd mentioned more and more in their recent conversations that a few regulars at the Majestic Yew noticed he hadn't been in lately. (Why it took them this long to notice, he couldn't say. Unless she only just now thought to mention it.)  For all he knew, someone could have said something to make her think waiting three months for someone she'd really only just met was ridiculous. She was a logical person. An intelligent person. It might not have taken anyone telling her that to form that opinion.

So, coming here was the first thing he did. He was pretty sure if he stopped at home first, she'd understand. If he stopped to buy a telephone first, she might have a different reaction, so decided to play it safe.

He got a few curious looks from students that were not his Hermione. He tried not to think about the fact he could pass here as a professor. She was talking to someone when she spotted him. She gave him the nicest smile he was pretty sure he'd ever been on the receiving end of before in his life. Then she dropped her book bag on the ground and ran to him, launching herself into his arms once she reached him. He caught her easily enough, sliding his arms around her as she did the same with hers at his neck and planted her lips firmly over his.

Merlin.

They both groaned when they had to stop for a breath. Yes, he could admit he missed this. Her. How she felt and tasted. His. Not in a neanderthal possessive way. (Not that wasn't there, too.) No. She was his hearth and home.

"Hi," she whispered, kissing his jaw. She brushed her cheek against his beard in the spot she'd just kissed. He loved when she did that because he was … mindful of the facial hair not feeling good against someone else's skin. That she did that told him she truly didn't mind it.

"Hello yourself."

"You're back."

"Are you sure I'm not just a figment of your imagination?"

She brushed her cheek against his jaw once more before finding his ear.

"I can feel that you're not, Severus."

He was fairly sure he was blushing now. 

"Yes, well, it's not every day a woman throws herself into my arms."

"I should hope not."

"Only one has ever done so."

She moved a bit so she was now standing on her own two feet. She ran her fingers through his hair.

"It got even longer," she said.

He hadn't even trimmed it while they were gone.

"You don't like it?"

"I didn't say that, Severus. It's just an observation."

"Thank you then for noticing."

She slid a hand to his jaw and the growth there. "This got longer, too."

"It did. I haven't touched it since we left."

"Are you going to trim it?"

"I planned to, yes. I let it grow, in the event anyone saw me I wasn't planning on," he shrugged. "The longer it is, I feel the more indiscernible I am. I never had one before."

"Again, not complaining. Can I watch you?"

"Trim my beard?" he asked.

He had explained why he had it the first or second day of their week together. He would shave it if she was really opposed to it, but she did not seem to be, promising she'd tell him if she became so along the way.

"Yes," she said.

"You could, certainly."

"Good."

"That's really what you want to watch me do, Hermione?" he asked, sliding a finger to her mouth. He grazed her bottom lip with the pad of his thumb.

"I think you underestimate how much I like watching you do things, Severus. You're so precise. It's really interesting to watch you." She shrugged. "I like it and I missed it."

"If that's what you like, far be it from me to have you go elsewhere for that."

She laughed softly. "I have to go to my next class now."

"I know. I just wanted to let you know that I have returned."

"Thank you. I'm sure Crookshanks will be at your house."

"Will his witch join him when she's done with classes?" he whispered.

"Yes."

"Excellent. I'll see to dinner then. If there's something not at the house you'd like to drink with it, stop on your way."

"You're giving me homework, too, then?"

He snorted. "You only have to bring yourself."

"Okay." She kissed him again. "And, Severus," she whispered against his ear.

"Yes, Witch," he murmured in return.

"Make it something that reheats well."

"You don't think you'll return home hungry then?"

"Not for food, no."

"I'd be insulted, but I think I like your thoughts. I will ensure that it is as you request."

She drew away then, her hand touching him falling away last. Almost as if she didn't want to stop touching him. He knew that feeling well because it was exactly how he felt.

"This was okay?" he asked.

"What?" The frown accompanying her words told him she truly didn't know what he was asking.

"Showing up like this. This won't be the last time I'm called away, and if this was acceptable, this would be the way I could inform you of my return next time."

She frowned a bit, not liking that idea he presumed. He didn't either, truthfully. "Yeah. It was a great surprise. If I didn't have another class right away, I'd find an empty classroom where we could go."

"Tempting, but go learn. I will turn one of the spare bedrooms into a classroom if that is a … fantasy of yours."

"Mm. It wasn't really, but now maybe." Her smirk and glint in her eyes told him she might truly be thinking about it.

"I will see you soon."

"Yes."

He watched her leave. The friend (presumably anyway) she'd been walking out of the classroom with had waited at the other end of the hall. She was staring at Severus and he tried not to … fidget. Hermione glanced at him over her shoulder and waved. He nodded in return, which caused her to laugh. (At least she laughed and didn't get upset. He wasn't really someone who waved.)

He did stop on the way home to purchase a mobile phone. He probably should have had her or Harry assist him, but he didn't need it for anything but calling her. The salesman seemed somewhat amused at the simplicity of Severus' demands.

From there, he stopped at the market to purchase something to make for dinner that evening. With the groceries, he purchased some flowers for the kitchen table. And a second bouquet for his bedroom. It wasn't the first time he'd bought flowers for his own kitchen, not that it was a regular habit. It was the first time he'd ever bought flowers for another room in his home, and with someone else in mind. That was to say, he fretted over which bouquet to buy and when he ended up with the two, where to put each one.

Home, he put the groceries away and then proceeded to shower. He'd showered yesterday, before they finished everything up with their ministry and left Lithuania. There was something about being able to shower in his own bathroom that was immensely pleasing even if it hadn't been days since his last.

He was mindful of her request to watch him shave. He ran the back of his hand along his jaw. It wasn't sandpaper rough, but it wasn't pleasant either. At least he didn't think so. He supposed he had to bow to her on this, as he didn't kiss himself. He enjoyed giving her love bites, immensely, but did not like the idea of her skin being chaffed or blemished in any capacity as a result of his beard. Yet, she hadn't shied away from brushing her cheek against him there.

Merlin.

He still couldn't believe she kissed him like that. In the halls of her educational building. For anyone to see Behavior as a Hogwarts professor he would have deducted points from. At the very least. (He might now understand why those witches and wizards were willing to risk getting caught.) It was rather heady.

And arousing.

He searched his mind as he stepped into his bedroom to decide on what to wear.

He couldn't find one thing … embarrassing about it either.

He'd noticed evidence in his bathroom of her presence here the past three months: soap, shampoo, toothbrush, and so on.

Here in his bedroom, there was more evidence. A hairbrush on his dresser. A couple of hair ties wrapped around its handle. (If she didn't do that, her familiar used them as toys she told him.) A laundry basket in front of his closet that wasn't his and didn't contain any of his clothing in it. A few items in said closet that were clearly hers. He drew open the top and then the middle drawer of his dresser and saw items of hers: knickers, socks, a few shirts. The dresser was a double one, so he'd told her when she confessed she liked sleeping here to make herself at home, including space in his room as needed. She clearly hadn't moved herself in, but the notebook and pencil on the nightstand (with enough space left over for one of her textbooks) suggested she spent time here while he was away: studying and just living.

He liked that idea.

He only just now noticed the shirt he'd left for him sticking out from under "her" pillow on the bed. As if she slept in or with it and tucked it away until the next night.

He liked that idea a lot.

Her feline brushed up against Severus' legs.

"Hello, friend," he murmured, bringing his thoughts to him versus the things of his person he was seeing.

"I bought some tuna for you. It's been a few months since I could spoil you," he murmured, stooping to brush the cat's tail. He let out an inpatient sounding meow, as if he understood what Severus said and wanted his tuna now, thank you very much.

"Yes, well, let's see to that and dinner for the humans of the household, shall we?"

No sense closing the door behind him. The cat would just find his way in somehow anyway. (Not that he was truly complaining about that fact.)

Return to Top

Part 3 | Part 5

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com