***Chapter Three***

He stepped into the pub, followed by Kingsley. Once again, as the first time he was here, everyone in the pub stopped to stare. They were familiar with Severus by now. Well, the regulars were. He did not come to the pub on Friday or Saturday nights, though. So that was new and unusual by itself. Add in Kingsley, who was very much a noticeable man.

A very noticeable man who was … clearly amused at physical evidence that Severus was choosing to spend his free time out amongst people. Granted, he sat at the bar when he came here, but he wasn't at home by himself.

Well, yes, they were rather attention-worthy.

It had been a week since that first night at her flat. He hadn't been home, other than when she was in class since. (He was ashamed to admit he hadn't thought to ask her full name until breakfast after that first night.) He wanted to fix that. He wanted her to have access to his home, but Kingsley wanted to meet her.

Understandably.

He was suspicious of someone magical that he hadn't been aware of. Also that she was someone magical who didn't seem to be suspicious of Severus. Hermione told him that she was so busy with her NEWTs that she really hadn't paid much attention to the news. It was one of the subjects that had come up their first night together. Especially if her school only got the Daily Prophet . He'd offered to show her his memories, but she said she hadn't needed to see them. That if he'd truly been a death eater for twenty years, he wouldn't have a soul left. He wasn't sure he had such an outlook on life, but found her … positivity was contagious.

Thus them here tonight. Kingsley, no doubt, wanted to be sure there was nothing nefarious going on. Severus couldn't quite blame the man for believing Severus was thinking with his heart and not his head.

(Kingsley also assured him that there would be no more assignments. It seemed finding his soul mate and being sexually active multiple times a day for the past week left Kingsley with the idea there was nothing more he could do for Severus.)

Kingsley wasn't due to come today, but there was a reason for it. A reason that would mean Severus wouldn't see Hermione for a while. Severus had sent Kingsley a patronus, no longer the doe but rather one matching his black panther animagus. Neither Kingsley nor Harry were complaining about that change. It meant he could send one to them when needed, and no one would be the wiser. Harry was back waiting at the house. As soon as they were done here, Kingsley would return to London. Severus and Harry would be off on their hunt.

"Hi," Hermione said, blushing a bit. Severus assumed it was the way Kingsley was regarding her causing that, not him. Then he supposed he could be wrong, and it was him making her blush.

"Hello, Hermione," he said. "How is your evening so far?"

"Um, fine. You know, Friday. So busy."

"I won't take up much of your time, and if someone needs assistance, that is fine."

"Okay," she said, sounding suspect. He couldn't blame her. She knew the weekday evening crowd was more than he felt comfortable with.

"This is my friend, Kingsley Shacklebolt."

"I know who he is," she said, offering the Minster for Magic her hand. He supposed if she kept up on magical doings she'd have to know who he was.

"It's nice to meet you, Miss Granger."

"You, too, Sir."

"Kingsley, please."

"I have to leave tonight, Hermione, but I wanted you two to meet so that you know if he ever visits you without me that he is real and legitimate."

"Okay."

"I haven't discussed my position, nor can I, but my presence is required away from County Cork and I do not know when I'll return. If something happens to me, Kingsley has been asked to come tell you."

"Something dangerous, you mean?"

"Hopefully not." Left unsaid was that he'd said hopefully not, not definitely or absolutely. She wasn't stupid. She would understand.

"And you think you're going to be gone for that long."

"It is possible."

"If I did something wrong. If the whole golden eye thing was too much…" She was being good. He'd expect no less, of course. The past week he came to the realization that she was far more intelligent than he imagined her to be while listening to her converse here at work. She knew she couldn't say soul mates in a muggle pub.

Kingsley laughed.

"You find her doubting me amusing?"

Severus turned his attention to the witch. His witch. His soul mate. He was pretty sure the darker of the love bites he'd given her that first night together was still visible today. He should maybe feel … bad about that, but he felt something else altogether when he thought about it still being there under her brassiere right now.

"You have done nothing wrong. I will return, I am just not certain as to when. Kingsley has been instructed when I leave to show you my home. I can't do it tonight, I have no time. Your Crookshanks finds his way there, so if you can't find him, he may be there. And, if you wished to stay there, the idea of you being there when I do get home would not be unwelcome."

"Stay as in housesit?"

Kingsley laughed again, and Severus gave the other wizard a look that shut him up very quickly. He did not enjoy someone else laughing at his expense.

"No, I was thinking more permanent than that. Starting with you having access to it, as you wouldn't see it otherwise."

She nodded then, obviously understanding why Kingsley had to show it to her rather than him telling her where it was and giving her a key.

"I am not … comfortable kissing you in public nor do I think it is proper while you're working. However, know that I'd very much like to."

"Meet me at the backdoor in five minutes," she said.

"Gladly."

He and Kingsley left then, making their way to where Severus knew the backdoor to be. Kingsley almost amusedly turned his back when he saw Hermione come out the back door.

She tugged on the lapels of his coat and drew him to her, kissing him almost violently.

"I understand that you can't tell me. I don't like it, but I get it. I think, anyway," she said, eyes darting from watching him to Kingsley. "Be careful," she whispered.

"I always am."

"No, Severus, for me. I'm asking you to be careful."

Kingsley coughed softly.

Severus glanced over his shoulder at the other wizard. He looked amused despite trying to appear as if he wasn't five feet away from them.

"What?"

"Nothing, Severus. Your charming personality and exceptional ability to communicate has gotten you this far."

"You are hilarious."

"Almost as much as you are."

Severus scowled, returning his attention to Hermione.

"I apologize if that was the wrong answer to give, Hermione," he said. He lifted a hand then, tucking some of her hair behind her ear. "I will of course exercise extra caution knowing that I, for the first time, have something to return to that gives me hope."

He glanced over his shoulder again. "Was that better, Minister?"

Kingsley laughed then.

"It was much better," Hermione said. She leaned in on her tiptoes, nipping at his ear and neck. "Can I steal one of your shirts?"

"Well, you telling me about it sort of negates the thievery aspect of the question, but yes."

"Mm, good, thank you." She drew away a bit. "In fact, that one," she said, pointing to the one he was currently wearing. She couldn't even see it. "It will smell like you."

"And this is a good thing?"

"It's a wonderful thing."

"Very well. I'll leave it on my bed then."

"Will it be difficult to find?"

He snorted. "No, as it's the only furnished bedroom in the home, I think you will find it very easily. Just follow your Crookshanks."

"He's such a scoundrel."

"Or knew we were near and wanted to do something to enact change."

"I have to get back inside or they'll be helping themselves to their drinks."

"Be well," he said, kissing her once again.

"You, too." She drew away then and he watched as she returned inside, closing the door behind her.

He stood for a moment with a sigh. He didn't want to leave her.

"I hate you right now, Kingsley," he muttered as he turned to face the minister.

"Actually, if it weren't for me…"

"Not helping at the moment. Let's go before I decide to hex you and tell Harry to fuck off."

"You wouldn't tell him to do that."

"You don't know what I'm thinking right now."

"Really? After a week?"

"Have you been involved in a soul mate relationship, Kingsley?"

"No."

"Then save your judgment until that time comes."

They apparated away then. Kingsley made sure they weren't seen, thankfully, because Severus' mind was on his witch, not the Statute of Secrecy just then. Kingsley likely knew that, too.

"So where did you go?" Harry asked when they got back to Severus' home.

"Nowhere," Severus said, making his way upstairs so that he could … evidently … change his shirt.

He found a piece of paper and a pen (he didn't write with quill and ink in bed).

Hermione,

Thinking of you wearing this will get me through the next little while. Thank you for the suggestion.

Yours,

Severus

He conjured a blood red rose and cast a stasis on it before setting it, and the note, atop his shirt on his bed.

He could only hope her familiar did not move the items.

*****

They were staying at a muggle hotel just this side of being a dive. Harry and Severus both had money to spend on something nicer, but they were on the Ministry's dime. Couple that with the fact that they were trying not to draw unnecessary attention to themselves, and had no idea how long this job would take. Or if it would even bear fruit as this was their first attempt at doing this. It was more … discreet and less attention-grabbing to stay somewhere less extravagant.

Severus had been out gathering information earlier today. Harry, for his part, was perusing the local newspapers for articles involving things that might be magically related. Or sudden spikes in unexplained violence, or crimes in general. Harry was a competent interrogator, or so Kingsley told Severus. Both agreed Severus was best suited for this. He knew the right questions to ask and things to say to make someone believe he was a follower. They didn't want people to think they were being hunted. They wanted people to believe Severus needed something.

"I might invest in one of those muggle portable phone things," Severus said over dinner. They tried not to draw attention to themselves when they ate, and Severus assumed most thought Harry was his son. Insulting, as Hermione was only ten months older than him, but if it kept people from thinking anything else was going on between them, he was okay with it.

"Mobile phone?"

"Yes, that," he said with a nod.

"Really?"

Harry sounded so … legitimately surprised. Was that not a good path to take? Hermione lived as a muggle currently. Shouldn't he give her a means to speak to him. Especially if he and Harry were going to be taking trips with some regularity? 

"Is that not an acceptable way to communicate?"

"Well, yeah, I just," Harry shrugged. Severus saw amusement in the younger wizard's eyes. He supposed it was funny. It didn't mean he liked that look there. It was bad enough this wizard heard stories ad nauseum for years about how Severus loved his mother. "I'm sorry, Severus. This is not a side to you I ever thought I'd see. I wager no one ever thought they'd see it. It's new. I'm not saying that I don't like it. I'm happy for you. You know I am."

He nodded his head. He did know this wizard was pleased for him.

"Thank you."

"Will I meet her?"

"I suppose that you will, yes." He didn't see how he could avoid such an encounter. Unless he had Harry come to the house only when she was gone. He didn't like that idea. It would seem as if he was hiding something. And while he couldn't tell her what he and Harry were doing exactly, he didn't want to appear to be doing things wrong behind her back. She was smart enough to realize they were doing something covert.

"Is she nice?"

Severus didn't even know how to answer that. Was the wizard implying his soul mate would be rude? Sullen? Cruel?

" What kind of question is that, Potter?"

Harry rolled his eyes and shook his head. It said something that Severus no longer scared this wizard. At one time, he certainly had. He couldn't be seen liking him.

"I just meant. I don't know." He shrugged, and Severus saw insecurity in his dinner companion's eyes. What was he unsure about? "Will she like me? I like coming around, you know? I know I can't every day or anything. I get Kingsley and I need to be careful. I still like knowing I can visit you. If she doesn't, I'd feel like I couldn't."

"Oh," Severus said with a scowl. He was really concerned about that? Merlin. "I don't see why she wouldn't. If I can tolerate you, certainly she will as well."

"Thanks, I think."

Severus gave a soft chuckle. "She, like me, doesn't have much time for dunderheads. You are not one."

"Does she call them dunderheads?"

"No, of course not," he drawled. "Give her time to catch on. I'm sure she will! At the moment, she calls them idiots. Still apt, but less colorful in my opinion."

Harry laughed then. Severus smirked. It was funny. It was amusing to hear her. She was so … petite and overall soft spoken. Until her ire got raised about something, or someone. She'd told him about one of her classmates (she was majoring in History) who hadn't seemed to realize that people didn't have access to information at their fingertips until very recently.

"Can you imagine thinking that everyone immediately knew that someone like King George V died.  When in actuality, there could have been people living in remote areas who wouldn't have known for days or possibly weeks. Never mind, wizarding world aside as he doesn't know about it, there are people who don't have the internet. He's an idiot anyway."

Severus was pretty sure that was the moment he'd fallen in love with her. Being soul mates and only having spent a week with her aside. He loved her passion. He loved the fire in her eyes when she talked to him about something they were studying in a class. An injustice she thought had been done somewhere in time, even if it was just to one person.

It had actually given him an idea during these days away from Carrignaveen. Away from her. He'd approach Kingsley with his idea when they returned. Until then, he would do the job he was slated to do.

As it was, Jakub Wo?niak was proving stubborn. Severus had met up with a few contacts he knew from the first war that lived in this area but, to this point, he had not netted an actual location for Jakub.

Severus remembered him. He wasn't as crazy as Bella, but pretty close. The wizard, who was probably about ten years older than Severus, was prone to random bouts of violence for no reason. Some might say that was all of the death eaters, but all were different. Just as no two mass murderers or serial killers were identical in what they did to their victims. Not everyone joined Voldemort's cause because they had a thirst for blood and violence.

Jakub had an affinity for taking flesh trophies from his victims, perimortem. Severus shuddered at the memory or two he had of witnessing it when he'd had reason to accompany Jakub on a task.

"Come back to me, Severus."

"I'm here, Harry, thank you for your concern."

"I saw that look in your eye."

Until recently, Harry had been the only person to see that look in Severus' eyes, because he was very careful not to … think such thoughts in the presence of others. He had a lot of bad memories in his mind, and his proficiency at occlumency proved both good and bad.

He could shift thoughts around so they weren't at the forefront of his mind, however, occasionally they'd break through of their own accord if he wasn't focused. With the war done, he imagined he'd have to work on how to adjust his shields, as he did not wish to go through life occluding to the extreme he had since 1980.

"We are pursuing someone who enjoys a blade. My mind wanders to my own experiences at the hand of a crazy magical person who also preferred a blade. Most of which I, thankfully, cannot remember."

Harry had found a handful of cases that Severus thought could be Jakub. It was hard to say specifically without seeing case files. Harry was working on getting access. Severus himself had a special issued investigator ID under an alias, but Harry was the one with the pull. And was listed as Severus' primary. Kingsley's equivalent in Poland (because Lithuania fell under Poland's magical jurisdiction) was evidently not convinced Jakub was the one perpetrating these crimes, so was taking his time about contacting Kingsley for verification that they should be granted access to the muggle police files.

"You know, I hate this," Severus said, running a fingertip along the edge of his wine glass.

"What?" Harry asked. His dinner companion was clearly confused.

"When I agreed to this. I was me, all I had was my past. And the nightmares that make me not sure from time to time what's past and what's present. Now, I have to talk to people who knew me when I took the Mark, because I can't drop other names. I know that my name still carries weight, and that Severus Snape would have the knowledge of those who shared Tom's beliefs that were outside of Britain. Not everyone did, you know. He didn't tell everyone about the various irons in the fire he had. So, I have to pretend by dropping my own name that I still feel that way, and then when we've finished, I will go home and pretend that I didn't spend my time away from Hermione disparaging muggles and muggleborns."

"You're doing it for a job, to get these guys caught, Severus. She would understand that, surely. However, perhaps you can tell her what we're doing."

"No," he said. "I will not … endanger her. Her education being private as it was, she has broad strokes. I would rather not make her wonder what kind of man she's mated with by telling her everything."

"Likely she knows everything anyway, if she's as smart as you say she is. I'm sure she can fill in the blanks. She'll be at risk anyway if anyone in Britain, or anywhere really, finds out that you're alive and that you have a soul mate."

"Thank you, Potter," he said tersely. He'd, of course, thought of that, which was why he wanted her at his home as much as possible in his absence.

"If you warn her, tell her what we're doing, within reason, she can at least know to be prepared. To be cautious. To have a hex prepared when she's walking home at night."

It was a valid argument. He went disguised as someone else. No one knew it was Severus Snape visiting them. Kingsley had given him permission to reveal himself if he felt it absolutely necessary. He had the Mark to prove he was a follower and, while Severus himself knew most of the members being trusted by Tom as he was, that was not true for most of the others. Actually, other than the now deceased Bellatrix, he couldn't think of anyone else that was true for.

So his cover for this trip was that he was trying to get to a country where they weren't hunted and heard that Jakub might be able to assist with that.

"So, going back to the mobile phone. Did you bring that up because you'd like help?"

"That would not be unwelcome." He knew nowt about technology. Hermione had shown him the laptop she used for her university studies and it was beyond him. Definitely something he'd like to explore, when he was home again.

Harry snorted. "Sure. We can go after dinner and find a place, I'm sure. Your number will be a Lithuanian number, though."

"So?"

"Well, if you give it to anyone else, they're going to wonder why you have a Lithuanian mobile number."

"Oh," Severus said, not having thought of that. "I wouldn't give it to anyone but the two of you anyway."

"As of today. You never know, that may change. Soul mate could mean marriage, in-laws, kids, schools."

"Merlin," he said. Briefly, he went over every one of their encounters that week they had together in his head to ensure one or the other had cast a contraceptive charm. "Please don't talk about that right now, Harry."

"That's not your goal? You found your soul mate and you're not thinking about a house with a white picket fence, two kids, a dog, and her cat."

"No, my mind did not go there. It's been a week!"

"It's been three now technically."

"Yes, two of those without her hearing much from me. She may decide…"

"Kingsley said her goodbye kiss was not that of one who was going to give up on you because you travel."

"Kingsley does not need to be discussing her kisses…"

"He wasn't discussing her kisses, Severus. He was discussing her, and that he thought you got lucky that she wasn't a shrew of a witch who wanted you home, not off doing this."

"Well, she doesn't know what I'm doing."

"She knows who you are, what you did for the Order. She probably took a guess when you told her you couldn't tell her that you're doing something covert."

Likely so, of course. She wasn't an imbecile. Far from it.

"You could send her an owl. You said the entrance to her flat is outside. We can instruct the owl to drop it and go."

Severus scowled, grazing his chin and jaw with the backs of his fingers as he thought over the suggestion.

"That would be sufficient?"

"As compared to not contacting her at all? Yes, I should think so."

"You are not funny."

"Well, I'm a little funny. You just don't think that was funny."

"No, I don't. I have never done this before. Am I mistaken for not having sent her something before now?"

"You called her when we got here and told her which hotel we're staying in. I know there have been one or two others to check in. Like that night you knew she'd had a test. So, it's not as if you left her high and dry."

"I'm not sure what that means, but presume it is not positive."

"It is not, no. It means that you didn't spend a week getting very familiar with her and then not calling to let her know that we - well you - arrived safely and how she could reach you in an emergency."

"Oh, I see. Yes, of course. Is that not what's usually done?"

Harry shrugged. "I would imagine my godfather would not do that, no."

Severus snorted at that. "I see," Severus said with a nod then, understanding the comparison.

There was no … love lost between Severus and Sirius Black. They'd never sit across from one another at dinner and talk as he and Harry were now doing, but they were cordial. Harry resided with Sirius, which Severus knew and had visited him there when Sirius was home. Severus and Harry were friends, which Sirius knew and had shared an uncomfortable meal with them a time or two when Severus visited Harry. Those meals were … tense but no violence erupted. Actually, as 1981 turned into 1985 and 1991 and now 1998, they weren't as tense as they used to be. There was still no personal small talk, but they would engage in superficial discussions on quidditch and such.

Sirius was no closer to being married than Severus was.

Well, he supposed that might not be true anymore. As Harry had just said. They were soul mates and had found one another.

Did Hermione want to get married? She was young. Many married right out of school, so establishing a courtship already wouldn't be unheard of.

For that matter.

"Do I want to get married?"

Harry smirked. "I think that you do. I think you didn't want to think about it when there was no one you were interested in. And being the only one at Hogwarts close to your age kept you from meeting anyone. Sirius and Remus aren't married," he shrugged.

"Mm," Severus said. Harry could be very intuitive at times. This was one of them.

"Severus. She is your soul mate. Can't get much more right for you."

"Yes, but does that mean we have to marry?"

"Well, that's up to the two of you. It's been three weeks. Maybe, you know, get to know one another out of a bed before you start thinking about marriage."

"We've spent plenty of time out of a bed." Not really plenty, but there had been some in there.

"Not having sex?"

Severus grimaced. No, they hadn't. Both of them had been rather … thorough at settling their curiosities about sex. He had nearly thirty years of them to sate. If she was as exacting and diligent about her other education as she was about that, it was no wonder she was one of Madam Docherty's favourites.

"Well, yes. We had meals together. She enjoys watching a couple of television shows, both are on Sky One: Stargate SG-1 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer . The former is interesting, the latter is tolerable. She enjoys it, she enjoys when I watch with her. So I watch with her."

Harry smirked.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just the idea of you watching television with a woman is so odd."

"I agree." Odd was an understatement.

"You watching television at all is rather odd."

"It is. I never enjoyed it much in my youth. I rarely had the opportunity to watch anything that interested me."

"Sirius and I would go elsewhere to watch football matches and such over the years."

"I forget you didn't visit your aunt Petunia often."

"Merlin, no. Sirius tried in the beginning, she being Mum's sister and all. They were pretty hideous. They tried to fight for custody of me for a while, saying Mum would want them to raise me. It turned out, they just wanted the money they would have gotten for raising me."

Severus scowled, not surprised though. Harry never told him that, though. Interesting.

"How did Sirius find that out?"

"He disillusioned himself and followed my uncle, Vernon, whenever he could. He had this old tape recorder that my mum had when she was a kid, I guess. It ran on batteries not electricity, so wasn't affected by him being disillusioned."

Severus nodded. "I remember that tape recorder," he said. He chuckled softly. "She used it to record songs from the radio with. I made her a tape of songs from various records I had, because she had horrible taste in music."

"You've said that before."

"I'm not surprised, as she did," he said softly. "It wasn't really horrible." He added this for clarification. Obviously, different people had different tastes. She had a propensity to listen to groups like ABBA and the Bee Gees. As he'd aged, he could appreciate their contribution to music, but at the time - in his teens. Well, he'd had no time for such … fluff.

"Anyway, he caught Uncle Vernon talking to someone at a pub. He'd had a bit too much to drink and confessed to someone that's what they were planning."

"She's a bitch, I've never met him, but can't imagine he's pleasant."

"Severus!"

"She is! She was always jealous of Lily, and that jealousy came out with her calling her a freak." Honestly, it was a good thing Lily went to Hogwarts. He had no idea how bad Petunia might have gotten if she'd refused her letter yet came into her magic while at home.

"You've never told me that before."

"You weren't eighteen before, and technically, until just recently you were my student. I wouldn't talk ill of one of your family members under those circumstances."

"I suppose not. I've never heard you call anyone that before."

"Very few have deserved to be called that, Harry. I am glad that your mother didn't let her sister's insults stop her from embracing her abilities. I am only sorry she didn't get to use them longer than she did."

"I know, Severus."

"I'm glad that you do, and that we can talk about her." It made it hurt less that they could. It made him feel less as if he'd committed an unforgivable crime. He liked to think that Harry's ability to befriend him was a sign his mother, and his father, would have forgiven him in the end.

"So am I. You have different memories and stories than Sirius and Remus do."

"Yes."

"As far as Hermione, and whether you should ever get married. I personally think you'd make a good husband and father. A little stiff maybe, but not in a bad way. You are just set in your ways and are more conservative. Uptight. There's nothing wrong with that. Remus is, too, in some things. I think if I told anyone, even Sirius, we had this conversation tonight he'd think I was lying. You don't let people in. The headmaster. Lucius Malfoy, but I'm not sure how sincere that was, and it's none of my business."

"He was tolerable to have discussions with. And he had good whiskey and cigars."

Harry chuckled.

"He was also a very good source of information. He loved to gossip, and was more social than I was, so heard things I never would. And passed them onto me."

Harry's eyes grew sad.

"He was a friend, Harry," he said. He knew that Harry thought that Severus' entire life from 1981 on was basically a lie, but there were some genuine moments in there. His friendship with Lucius, while based on the lie that he loved Lily Potter, was one of the things he didn't hate about his time as a spy. If he wasn't presumed dead, he might like to visit the man in Azkaban.

They finished their meal. Harry returned to their room while Severus went into the small magical section of the city, glamour in place. There he found the post office and penned a quick letter to Hermione.

Hermione,

I hope the owl does as instructed and drops the letter without waiting.

It's been odd having the last couple weeks worth of evenings without you. I've spent so many years being alone, it's hard to imagine I'd get acclimated to being in someone's company regularly so easily.

Two weeks with Harry Potter is not the same thing either.

That is a wordy way, I suppose, of saying that I miss our evenings together.

I am fine. Little progress has been made, but we knew coming here that would be the case. We are the guests, so we have to do things in their time and according to their rules.

I hope you are keeping my shirt company. I don't think I've ever been jealous of an article of clothing before in my life.

Be well,

S

He ensured the owl used was one who would follow instructions. He supposed an owl sitting on her railing wouldn't be really odd, but he didn't like the idea of it sitting there for hours either. That would be odd.

From there, he stopped at a store to get himself a few things for the night as well as a couple of things he knew Harry was fond of before heading to their hotel. Somehow, he didn't think Stargate SG-1 was going to be an option for them tonight.

Return to Top

Part 2 | Part 4

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com