***Chapter Thirty-Seven***
December 1996

Hermione stood outside the movie theater, clutching her wool scarf a little tighter around her neck while biting at her lower lip. She stared at the marquee, wondering if she should go inside or wait out here. She hadn't asked. She'd never gone somewhere public with them like this. Was this weird? Her parents hadn't seemed to think so in their reply to her letter where she'd mentioned it to them before the holidays. They'd even made sure she had enough muggle money for popcorn. (Honestly, they seemed thrilled she would be leaving Hogwarts since she'd elected not to stay with the Prinses this break. Pointing to the fact that maybe they felt a bit of guilt these ski trips continued despite her not wanting to go.)

She hadn't told them that Hogwarts' librarian was in her late eighties. Or that she'd be seeing the movie with not just her but her husband and their family that totalled over one hundred people. She had no idea how many were going to be here, but it sounded as if they rented out the theater for this showing. She also had no idea how many of them had been to a movie before. She knew Steve had, but he was the only one of their family who attended Hogwarts with her she'd really gotten to be friends with. Steve hadn't been the one to ask her to come, his grandmother had. Marie's son, Philip, who was married to an American muggle, and lived mostly as a muggle. Marie said one of his grandsons chose the movie. She assumed the foster children and their families had been to movies since they were muggleborn, but then maybe not, given they'd been living with the Prinses since before World War II ended.

She wasn't ashamed or embarrassed by her friendship with Marie Prins. She just wasn't sure her parents would understand it. There were days she didn't understand it! So she hadn't gotten overly specific about the school's librarian.

"Miss Granger," a familiar voice said from behind her as she debated whether to go in or wait outside. She should have asked, she supposed. Stupid not to think with so many involved there might be more to know than just showing up.

She turned to face him, appreciating how he looked in his coat. It was just a pretty standard winter coat, but it was a nice one and flattered him. Odd to think that, maybe. She'd been outdoors in the winter with him before and never saw him wear this coat. Interesting to realize after this many years of being her head of house and professor there were still things to learn about him.

"Hello, Professor, I didn't know you were coming, too," she said.

She tilted her head, regarding him for a moment as he took in the marquee as she'd done moments before, loosening the scarf around his neck. She'd never seen him in casual muggle clothing before. Honestly, she hadn't realized he owned every day muggle attire, though, she supposed it was a given that he did. He grew up in a muggle area and had a muggle father. She wasn't sure everyone knew that was the case.

"I'm surprised to see you here."

"I surmised that was the case when you said that you didn't know I was going to be here."

She was blushing. She knew that she was. Of all the people to sound stupid around! "Yes, sorry to be repetitive."

His lips quivered into the bare hint of a smile. It was more of a smile than she'd ever seen anyone else get out of him, so she'd take it.

"You have not gone inside yet?" he asked.

"Oh, no, I wasn't sure. I guess I didn't want to discover I had the date wrong and go in alone."

"Well, I am here, and as it sounded to me as if most all of them will be here, we may as well seat ourselves."

"That many?"

He snorted. "You have attended family dinners you said."

"Well, yes, I guess I haven't counted, and that's not a movie night out."

"Now you know why I've stayed away."

Was that really the reason? Had she told Erik or Marie that? She could admit, she wasn't fond of large groups of people but something about their group of people made it less stressful.

"Oh, but it really wasn't bad."

He shrugged, gesturing for her to follow him to the doors. He held open the theater's door for her. Sure enough, as they got to the concessions area, multiple dozens of people from Erik and Marie's family were there.

"If you're not one of those that requires eating the entire container of popcorn prior to the movie even starting, I will return to purchase some during the trailers."

"Sure," she said, frowning slightly at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing. I just wasn't expecting…"

"For me to have manners? Save your money for something whimsical, Granger."

That was actually … nice. It was a different side to her professor. A thought occurred to her as they made their way into the theater. Raised muggle or not, he'd been living primarily at Hogwarts since he was eleven from what she knew.

"Do you even know who Michael Jordan is?" she asked him once they'd taken a seat. They sat to themselves but still close to the family. Not that they could seat themselves far from the family. The theater wasn't that large. Steven gave her an odd look when he spotted her going into the theater with their potions professor.

"I do not, other than gathering that he is an American athlete of some sort. I, however, do know who Bugs Bunny is."

She gave a soft laugh. She tried to picture him sitting in front of a television set watching Looney Toons. It was just so farfetched. And yet, she supposed he likely did. How interesting to think. "Really?"

"What kind of question is that? One of the muggle-living boys picked it, correct?"

"Sir!" What was he saying? Anyone could hear him!

"Well, I'm a half-blood, raised in the sixties. Mr. Bunny has been around for eons."

"Mm," she said.

"I don't care that they live as muggles, Granger."

"I know. I mean, I think I do."

There was something she hadn't really thought about.

Did he dislike muggles and muggleborns? She didn't get that impression. She didn't think he would have allowed her to assist him if he did. There were other pureblood Gryffindors he could have chosen. For that matter, Harry told her he'd gone to school with his mum and dad. Certainly, Harry would have been a valid choice. (Then again, no one seemed to know why he'd made the offer for her to assist him, as he'd never done it prior to her.)

Eventually, it seemed most of the rest of their group joined them and took their seats, most seemed very surprised to see Professor Snape here, but not as surprised to see Hermione. She wasn't sure what that said. He left then to go buy them popcorn.

"I'm so glad you could join us," Marie said when she sat next to Hermione. Erik took the seat next to his wife. She could have sat with Steve and a few others she knew, but they seemed kind of wrapped up with themselves. She always felt out of place when Steve was around his cousins. It was so completely foreign to her. This was normal to him. She didn't get the impression his cousin Meredith liked Hermione much (no surprise).

"Oh, me, too. Thank you for including me. Hello, Professor Prins."

"Hermione, glad you could join us. I do believe I've said Erik is sufficient. Certainly at an outing such as this."

He had, but that didn't mean she was comfortable doing it.

"Your parents didn't find it strange when you wrote to tell them you'd be going to a movie with us?"

"I'm not sure my parents quite grasp who you are."

"How old I am, you mean? It's okay," she said with a wink. "Your secret is safe with me. And, there are some here your age like Stephen, so it's not just you and an old lady."

"I wouldn't mind even if it was just us, and you're not an old lady anyway," Hermione said as the lights were turned down for the previews.

"Oh, Hermione, remind me to hug you later for saying so. Was I wrong in thinking that I saw Severus earlier?" Marie whispered.

She wasn't sure why she was whispering, there was no one in this theater who wasn't related to this woman. Well, except for her and Professor Snape anyway. She didn't see any of them shushing her.

"No, you aren't wrong. He went to get popcorn. When we got here there was quite the line."

"That happens when we all come out together. I should have warned you. We always have to warn the theater in advance so they're aware. We've done this a couple of times now, rented out the theater. I think they assume a few dozen of us will be here. Obviously, though, there's turnover in employees, so those here tonight might not remember from the last time how many of us there are. So we forewarn them."

"It's all right," she said. "It's very generous of you to buy out the theater like this."

"We do it when this many are interested and able. It doesn't always work that way. We try to schedule things like this for a date and time that as many as possible can make. I'm glad you both came. I am hoping this means he'll join us for dinner Wednesday, but then again, we may scare him off."

Eventually, he returned with a drink for each of them but only one popcorn. She said nothing as he handed her a few napkins. She watched as he took in the group. He was right, there was an overwhelming amount of them. She'd guess that with them there were well closer to one hundred fifty with significant others of some of the older great grandchildren and those who'd brought a friend.

Even Mark Daugherty, who was Hermione's age and his cousin Victor Childress, had dates it seemed. Or what appeared to be a date. Mark's sister Meredith had brought a friend Hermione recognized from Hogwarts, but couldn't place her face with a name as she was in Hufflepuff she thought. She frowned slightly as her professor glanced at Erik and Marie. Marie looked almost as confused as Hermione felt at that look. Erik seemed to understand it, though because Erik gave Severus a nod.

Eventually, as it was clear the trailers were done and the feature was about to start, he leaned in slightly. "So, who exactly is Michael Jordan then?"

"Just some American athlete," she whispered.

She tried to be conscientious as to when he was reaching for popcorn so she didn't at the same time, but it wasn't always possible. More than once she felt the calloused pads of his fingers against the back of her hand before he drew it away. A little thrill shot through her every time it happened. He didn't jerk his hand away or scoff at her when her hand met his. She couldn't say she'd ever seen him touch anyone so she took a bit of pride in the fact he allowed this much.

Sterling, the one who'd made the choice in movies, was rather enthusiastic once the movie had ended. Judging by the conversation between his dad, his grandpa Philip, and his two brothers, it seemed as if he wanted to be a professional basketball player himself. He was ten, or eleven now, she supposed since she'd heard him say (more than once) he was starting Hogwarts in the fall and was already close to five feet tall. Not that height alone was how basketball players were chosen, but certainly it was an advantage.

Of course, he could stop growing.

Wouldn't that be a disappointment!

"That was a tolerable way to spend a couple of hours," he said from beside her.

"It was oddly enjoyable," she said in agreement.

She wasn't quite sure what to expect when Marie told her it was about basketball and had animation in it. She wasn't a big sports enthusiast, but did know who Michael Jordan was. She was pretty sure a muggle or muggleborn in her age bracket would have to be living in a cave not to have at least heard of the American basketball player.

"Thank you for the popcorn and drink."

"You are welcome."

"Do you have a better idea of who Michael Jordan is now?"

He chuckled. "A bit. I imagine Mr. Prins there will fill me in if I ask him to."

"At Christmas dinner?"

"Are you going?" he asked.

"I am. I was going to go shopping after this since I got permission to leave school and see if I could buy something for them."

"Would you like advice?"

"Sure."

"A general suggestion or more personalized?"

"Um," she said, glancing at him as everyone else was getting coats on and such.

"Would you like company, Granger?" He sounded so impatient. Why was he asking then?

"Oh, well, sure, if you have nothing else to do."

"Obviously I have absolutely nothing pressing, or I wouldn't be here."

She laughed softly. "I suppose that is true." She had to admit that she liked he'd come, and let her sit by him. Steve hadn't seemed to find it odd once he saw Hermione was sitting by his grandma.

He helped her into her coat, and she frowned slightly at him which he seemed to ignore. Why was he doing these things? Buying her popcorn? Helping her into her coat? Why was he so bloody confusing!

"Miss Granger has twisted my arm into accepting your Christmas Day dinner invitation if it still stands."

"Oh! Of course it does, Severus," Marie said, reaching over to hug him.

Hermione felt her heart do a flippy thing she didn't quite understand when she saw Professor Snape hug the witch back. He was not a demonstrative person by nature, that much was clear. Hell, getting him to say something was acceptable was a huge deal for his students.

"I'm so glad. I don't know what Hermione said to you, but whatever it is, tell us so that we can repeat it next time."

"I do not like to be an imposition."

"You absolutely are not that, Severus Snape."

"Thank you," he said with a bow of his head.

The movie theater emptied, and she gave a low snigger at the ushers' reactions, who seemed only just now to realize this large group of people all knew one another.

"I never thought in my life I'd see a muggle movie with the Minister for Magic," she whispered to him as they were the lone stragglers after everyone else.

He snorted softly. "Nor did I."

"But you went to school with his daughter, didn't you? And have taught his grandchildren."

"I have. His daughter was a little older than me. She was a sixth or seventh year when I started I believe. That doesn't mean I ever thought I'd see a movie with him."

"I know, but you at least know him."

"He knows who you are, Miss Granger. Everyone in wizarding Britain does."

"No pressure or anything."

"Ask all of those children and grandchildren what Albus used to say to them when he saw them on the grounds the weekend before each year started every August."

"Oh they do that?"

"Oh yes, still do, have since Thomas was a baby from my understanding. The whole group of them assemble by the lake for a good portion of the morning, and during the afternoon they head to Hogsmeade and the Three Broomsticks. Rosmerta I think just knows by now not to bother opening for anyone else on that day. I have joined them a few times over the years."

That was kind of sweet. And special. A tradition. Something their family just knew and probably counted on. She'd never been at Hogwarts during the summer, but she imagined seeing it with no students around was different.

"What does he say to them? The headmaster I mean?"

"That he expects great things from them."

"Mm. He's never said that to me."

He chuckled. "Maybe he doesn't think he needs to. Maybe he just knows you will accomplish them without his encouragement. And saying it to you, who is not a descendant of his friend Professor Prins', who he has been a makeshift uncle to his children for decades, could be misconstrued as preferential treatment."

From the movie theater they went to a muggle liquor store where Professor Snape actually listened to what she said about the wine her parents served with Christmas dinner, and bought a couple of different varieties.

"Professor Snape," she said, exasperated when he wouldn't take money from her for the wine either. "It was my idea!"

"I need a gift as well, and as I can't recall the last time I had a Christmas dinner that wasn't served at Hogwarts. You assisted me."

"Yes, but now I have nothing!"

"I will give you a bottle."

"They'll know I didn't buy it!"

"And that's problematic because?"

She huffed. "I don't know what else to get them! They have a garden during the spring and summer, so flowers or a plant seem silly. The same with sweets since she bakes like crazy."

"Flowers would not be unwelcome, I'm certain. Aren't there Christmas plants?"

"Yes, but," she sighed.

He regarded her and she wondered not for the first time what he saw. What was on his mind when he looked at her? Did he consider her a friend? At all someone who he could see as a peer? Or was she strictly a student, someone he was indulging until she finished her time at Hogwarts? He'd said he wouldn't mind her returning, but did he want her to? Would he seek her out after she left? And why did the idea of either answer being no leave her feeling a little bereft?

"Do you have plans this evening?" His question interrupted her thoughts. Probably a good thing.

"In a virtually empty castle? Other than studying, no."

"Join me in my lab?"

"Sure," she said with a shrug accompanied by a soft sigh. That was what he wanted? To brew? She still had no gift!

"Are you comfortable apparating yourself?"

"Yes! I got to the theater just fine."

"You did," he said with a slight chuckle. "All right. I'll see you in my lab then. You don't need to knock tonight."

"Thank you, Professor."

"You are welcome, Granger."

Severus waited in his lab with everything set out on her table for her. She arrived a short while later, not surprisingly still in her muggle attire. He hadn't donned his robes himself. She went to her table, and he could almost hear the wheels turning in her mind as she took in everything he'd set out for her there.

"What am I making?" She sounded so confused, and he'd laugh, except he knew she likely didn't enjoy that feeling any more than he did.

"Whatever you want. Women like those scented things in my experience. I see small sachets of them at stores."

"Oh, Sir," she said. "That's a brilliant idea."

She went to work then, and he approached the table after a while, watching as she worked.

"Did you enjoy the movie?" he asked. He was not … good at small talk, but it seemed a good place to start.

"I did. In truth, I don't know much about Michael Jordan myself, but I do know that he was in the Olympics a few years ago."

"Mm," he said.

He watched as she assembled the various ingredients in the small pouch-like holders the elves had provided with the ingredients. He wasn't certain where the idea had come from, but it seemed something this Hermione would enjoy putting together, and that Marie would like receiving.

"But it was fun and funny, and I was able to see it with people I like, so all the better."

"I was surprised you sat with me and the Prinses and not with Messrs Prins, Daughtery, Childress or Miss Daughtery."

"Oh, well, you had my popcorn," she quipped cheekily and he chuckled. "Christopher is a year behind me. Mark, Meredith, and Victor seem to enjoy one another's company. Honestly, I'm not sure what I ever did to Meredith, but she doesn't seem to like me much. Steve seems to think he sees me during the school year all of the time. Same as the others I know," she shrugged.

"Ah," he said.

He didn't think that was the case at all. Erik had shown him a conversation he'd had with Stephen, warning him from interest in Hermione. Severus suspected the young man was more frightened of his great grandfather talking to him again than he was interested in this witch.

"I thought he was going to ask me to be his girlfriend for a while."

"Oh?"

"Yes. He walked me to class and carried my books," she shrugged.

Severus groaned inwardly at that statement. He had seen this phenomenon in students pairing off, even when he was a student. So he knew that Stephen had, in fact, attempted to stake a claim on the witch more than perhaps Erik realized.

"He was always willing to study with me in the library." Her eyes flickered up to meet his. She looked uncertain, and blushed a bit when their conversation didn't really call for such a reaction. "I do study in the library, Professor."

He rolled his eyes with a soft scoff at her bringing that up. She smiled slightly, tucking some hair behind her ear before returning her attentions to the pouches she was stuffing. So she wasn't mad at him. She didn't seem to think he'd behaved like an imbecile either. That would have been worse, he was pretty sure.

In his mind at least.

"Then he just stopped," she shrugged.

"Were you okay with that change?"

She shrugged and he heard her sniffle softly, so he supposed she wasn't. And he hadn't even noticed. Did Erik know? Did he coach Stephen on saying something? Or did the wizard just do an about face and stop … pursuing her?

"I guess I don't know what I did to make him change his mind. I mean, he knew I was bookish to begin with. I'm not like Lavender or Parvati. I'm not going to put makeup on or tease my hair big enough to touch the ceiling every day. I guess he just decided that's not what he wanted."

"Or," he said cautiously. He, of course, knew why Stephen Prins stopped pursuing her. He couldn't say that. "He just realized he wasn't a suitable match for you."

"Sure," she said, but she didn't believe him.

He could tell.

"You should not compare yourself to Miss Brown or Patil. Neither could hold a candle to you, Miss Granger. Mr. Prins is still your friend, so he didn't change his mind about you, just perhaps your role in his life. Or his in yours."

"If you say so."

For the first time in his life, he wanted to … console. To offer comfort. He didn't know how to do that, though. Erik and Marie had shown it to him over the years, but he had always been unwilling to fully accept or embrace it. It was foreign to him. He … looked after his students, as both their potions professor and the head of Gryffindor house. He didn't form connections with them, though.

He took a deep breath, hoping this wasn't the biggest mistake of his life. For a multitude of reasons. She could laugh at him. She could realize what an inexperienced person he was.

"I had it happen," he said. "A girl I knew, I mistook her friendship for more. She seemed to realize what she was doing, and told me the truth. I was her friend nothing more. It hurt for a while, but eventually," he shrugged. "I realized I was better off without her. That, when it got down to it, she was not meant to be more than my friend. Your friend's mother, in fact. Mrs. Potter."

She glanced at him then. Clearly surprised. So, Harry hadn't told her. If Harry even knew. "Really? I guess I knew you'd gone to school together."

"It was a long time ago," he shrugged. "I just wanted you to know it happens, and sometimes we maybe aren't interpreting things correctly."

"Maybe. I just really thought…"

"Maybe those weren't his intentions, and he realized his being polite was causing confusion. To you and to him."

"I suppose. I've always felt too old," she said.

"Mm," he said, regarding her.

"I'm seventeen and I look at Harry and Draco. I just don't see how I can be expected to live the rest of my life with someone who is still thinking about where their next quidditch gloves are going to come from. Most seventh years' aren't even really thinking about their NEWTs yet."

He smiled at that. "Not all of us play quidditch, Granger."

"Did you want one?" she asked, gesturing to the pouches.

He scoffed.

"They don't smell too girlie, just nice," she said, picking up one of the pouches to shake up the ingredients inside and then sniffed. He had requested items that would be Christmasy or wintery: pine cones, cranberries, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and the like.

He returned to his own table then to work on a few things while she was doing that. He figured it would keep her busy for a while.

He hadn't realized that Stephen Prins had gotten that … close to her. He'd assumed, for some reason, that it had just been Krum.

His thoughts moved from Stephen Prins, the youngest of the grandchildren, to his grandmother. She'd hugged him today, and he froze for a moment.

He and Hermione brewed amortentia together. He couldn't say for certain what she smelled, but he had as Erik presumed smelled her.

Hermione.

Marie Prins smelled the same.

He hadn't had occasion to realize it since brewing the amortentia until tonight. It was … utterly bizarre. He had no doubt there would be perhaps subtle differences, but from what he could see, there were few differences between this Hermione Granger and that one. The major difference? This one hadn't spent five years fighting a war.

The movie had been … pleasant. Not just sitting next to Hermione either.

All of it.

Doing something as a family unit. It was something he'd never had, but craved all of his life. It was the true reason he'd avoided their house on Christmas like the plague. He didn't want to be reminded of that which he didn't, and wouldn't ever, have.

Another reason he had gotten over being furious at Erik for doing nothing to assist him in his youth. They had tried, from the time he got to Hogwarts as a student, to include him with their family. He'd always said no. He assumed they were taking pity on him. He knew now, they were trying to include him. To make him feel a part of something, knowing he never had that.

So many years wasted. So stupid.

And yet.

Now?

Maybe.

Their moments together in his lab were thought provoking at times. There were evenings they brewed nothing. She'd sit and work on an assignment while he graded. She'd ask him questions and they'd discuss and debate. She had come so far from her first year when she seemed to think books were the absolute authority. This was magic, there were very few absolutes. He had no idea when he'd developed … feelings for her, but knew whenever it had occurred, it had been in this very room.

He glanced over his shoulder to see how close she was to finishing the project, noticing her head was resting on her arms. He presumed she was asleep from the soft sounds coming from her nose and mouth.

It was a rare moment to watch her unaware. Rude and perhaps not the most proper thing to do, but he looked his fill. If he broached the subject of seeing him away from Hogwarts, would she accept? Not now, of course, but she was much closer to leaving and never having to return than he liked to think about. He had already told her he wouldn't find it offensive if she returned. That hadn't been inviting her back, though.

He thought back to the night he'd seen her kissing Krum. He'd wanted to kill the wizard, and it wasn't entirely out of the desire to protect her reputation. He led a rather … uneventful life. How could he offer her something, when others like Krum had to know what they were doing in so very many ways? Certainly the baser things that occur between a wizard and his witch.

Surely she would prefer that? Experience. The knowledge beyond books of what to do. And how to do it.

The idea of seeking out that experience didn't sit well with him. His mother hadn't been an overly positive person to him growing up, but the one thing she'd driven home to him was that having to pay for that was not the way to go.

So he hadn't. Ultimately, he knew his mother was right. He deserved better than that. Even if that hadn't been the reason behind her advice.

And now?

Well, the idea of doing that when he had feelings for someone did not seem right. Even if she wasn't aware of him having those feelings. Even if she'd never find out.

He sighed heavily, shaking his head as he stood. He closed the distance to her table and set his hand against her shoulder.

"Hermione," he whispered.

"Mm," she said.

"You should go back to your room."

"M'kay," she murmured.

He chuckled. "Trust me, you will be stiff and sore in several places if I let you sleep at this table."

"Have you ever had deja vu?" she murmured. Clearly, she was awake now.

"I guess I don't know. Why?"

She sat up then, sliding her hands over the table. It was almost a caress.

"Sometimes I feel as if I've been here before," she whispered and shrugged.

"Well, you have been coming here for six years."

She smiled at him, shaking her head. "Not what I meant. Sometimes I just get this weird feeling that I've been here before." She closed her eyes then and gave a soft laugh. "That sounds ridiculous, doesn't it, but I've felt it since I got here to Hogwarts. I never really experienced it before." She looked at him then. "You called me Hermione again."

"I thought it would be a less abrasive way to wake you."

"I like it. Thank you."

"You are welcome."

"Say it again."

He rolled his eyes, but his heart skipped a beat at the request.

"Hermione," he whispered.

"It sounds so … regal when you say it. Thank you."

She stood on her tiptoes then, clutching his forearms and kissed his cheek. He breathed in deeply, taking in the scent and feel of her. She didn't draw away as quickly as he assumed she would.

"Thank you for the movie and the popcorn. And for the ingredients," she said, gesturing to the table. "Good night."

"Severus," he whispered.

"Good night, Severus."

"Only here," he said.

"I know," she said, eyes shimmering.

"Good night, Hermione."

"Oh," she said, seeming to remember the pouches.

"I will put them with the wine."

"Thank you," she said and then left.

What in the world had just happened? She'd kissed him. Okay, on his cheek but still.

He was doomed, he realized. The only thing was, he didn't seem to mind particularly because he hadn't told her what she'd done was inappropriate. Or that she shouldn't do it again.

NOTE: From my research, Space Jam was not released in the UK until March 1997, however, I needed a movie a youngish sporty boy living as a muggle might have picked out. As the child in question is 11, I thought Space Jam was suitable and I couldn't really find any others. So, please suspend reality and pretend that the UK got Michael Jordan and the Looney Toons at the same time as USA and Canada!

Return to Top

Part 36 | Part 38

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com