***Chapter Thirteen***

The following Thursday while the students were on their journey to Hogwarts via the Hogwarts Express, Healer Laranda and Hermione were in her office after breakfast. The staff knew Hermione was willing to help out where she could, especially this week when her library was not in demand (and was more than prepared for the students to partake in its offerings when they arrived). Laranda was one who always seemed to need last minute help, and Hermione was always happy to provide her friend with it. Laranda was the only one of the staff Hermione had really taken a liking to as far as being someone she considered a friend. She was friendly with others, but Laranda was the only one she ever saw away from Hogwarts events. They'd been to their respective houses a few times over the past five years. They had worked on the baby slings together quite successfully. They supplied St. Mungo's with an inventory of the slings and both were paid pretty well for their efforts. Hermione had seen more than one witch over the years using one, and was glad that she could help mums return to their normal routine in some way. (In the past few years, if they heard about a family who wanted one but couldn't afford the cost, they ensured a sling found its way home with the mum and newborn.)

There were others she would talk to, and she never turned down an offer to go to the Three Broomsticks with any of the other professors, but only Laranda got more than superficial conversations from Hermione.

Today Laranda had asked to see her. Not unusual, but Hermione knew it was a busy day for everyone. Thomas had not been overly pleased to be left in their quarters. He was used to going with Mum wherever she went. They were kind of a package deal, and most professors were impressed with the fact he already knew many things.

"Is Madam Laranda mad at me?" Thomas asked. Those brown eyes that looked nothing like the eyes of the wizard she knew in her original time. Even the pictures she'd seen of him in history books, the eyes looking at her now seemed different. She took that as a good sign. Small steps. Little things. They were making a difference. They had to be!

"Of course not, Thomas."

"Then why can't I go with you?"

She knelt then, grazing his chin with her thumb. It really bothered him. She loved that he enjoyed tagging along with her. These final days before the students arrived were always a flurry of activity, and he seemed to like seeing what all of the staff was doing to prepare.

"She asked to speak to Mummy, honey, nothing more. Sometimes adults have things to say to one another."

"It's not because I dropped that powder? I didn't mean to!"

Hermione chuckled softly. The poor thing. He must have really felt bad about it if it was still on his mind nearly six months later. Fortunately, the powder he'd knocked over had been almost empty, but even still it wasn't a hugely expensive thing to replace. At least not compared to other things he could have knocked over. "No, Thomas, it's not because you did anything. I promise. You're not the first, or the last, to drop something. Accidents happen, and she knew you didn't do it intentionally."

He bit his lower lip. A habit he had obviously picked up from seeing her do it over the years. It certainly wasn't a trait he could have inherited. She had talked to Severus about whether to try to get him to stop doing it, but Severus had thought it was good he did something that characteristically people could attribute to one of them. She was pretty sure of all of the habits they both had that Thomas could have picked up on, Severus found it amusing this was the one he'd latched onto. So, they'd let it be. And now she found it somewhat endearing when he did it. She knew what it meant, knew what he was thinking when he did it. He didn't realize that yet. She imagined one day, perhaps sooner than she wanted it to, he'd realize it and stop doing it.

She reached in then, hugging him. His small arms went around her neck in response. She breathed in. At almost six he didn't smell like a baby anymore, but he still smelled like all of the things that she liked. Fresh air. The outdoors. Their home. Thomas.

"I'll be back before you know it. She probably just has something private to say to Mummy."

He nodded then. He understood what private meant. She took him practically everywhere, but she was very adamant about setting boundaries. When he was in the library with her, he stayed in the area meant for him. He wasn't free to wander anywhere. He knew, too, that his parents had conversations that he was not allowed to hear. He knew that he needed to knock when entering a room the door was closed to. They tried to pay him the same respect when he had his bedroom door shut. Letting him know that his privacy was just as valuable as theirs.

"I have an idea of what you can do while I'm gone," she said.

He drew away then, eyes brightened at that. That was good. She didn't want him upset that he couldn't go to the infirmary with her.

"Why don't you think of names?"

"Names?" he asked, sounding confused.

"Well, yes. Daisy and Athena are both due with their calves, their babies, soon. We think Daisy might be having twins. Two calves. So that means three calves will need names."

His eyes widened at that. He'd contributed to Daisy's name, but he hadn't selected it. His mum and dad had asked him how he felt about it. She was giving him the opportunity to name their newest calves.

"Really? Three names?"

"Yes. We don't know if they're boys or girls, so come up with three or four of each."

"Yes, Mummy," he said.

He drew away from her then almost immediately, dashing off to his room. And no doubt the paper and crayons he had there. He could print his letters more than capably already, but writing things out without assistance so that they were readable to anyone but him was still a challenge. It would be interesting to see what he came up with.

"Mintzy," she called out.

"Yes, Misses," the elf said with a slight smile (no bow) when she appeared.

"I have to go up to the infirmary for a bit. Thomas is in his room."

"Mintzy will stay with him, Misses."

"Thank you."

Hopefully, they wouldn't have to override the names he came up with!

That was how she found herself in the infirmary by herself. They were doing a before the term inventory together. Laranda didn't really need the assistance, but Hermione was happy to help, and it went faster with two people doing it instead of just one. That freed Laranda up to do other things. To this point, Laranda hadn't said anything that couldn't have been said in front of Thomas, but Hermione imagined whatever it was she would get to it eventually.

"So you and Professor Prins caused quite a stir by the lake on Saturday," Laranda said about thirty minutes into their task.

Hermione blushed profusely. She couldn't help it. Not just because of the kiss they'd shared that day in front of anyone and everyone with eyes.

He'd said he loved her.

He had for years!

It was enough to make her giddy even now thinking about it. She truly never imagined he'd admit it!

"We did?" Hermione asked.

She knew where this was leading. She was surprised they'd assigned Laranda the task, and that it had taken this long for anyone to say anything. She figured she'd hear what Laranda said.

She set her hand over Hermione's and clutched. "You are so lucky," she said.

That reaction and statement surprised Hermione.

"You think so?"

That wasn't what she was expecting. She was thinking the headmaster had asked Laranda to warn her friend not to kiss her husband so enthusiastically in front of the students because someone (more than one most likely) complained about their display.

"Oh, I know so. You are. I mean, I admit I've always been envious of you two because it's clear you respect one another. I'm a healer, have gone through training to be one, and I don't think Carlton talks about me the way Professor Prins does you. What girl doesn't dream about a man loving her the way Professor Prins does you? And not to be afraid to show it publicly?" She leaned in. "I thought I was going to combust just watching you two!" She drew away slightly, fanning herself with her hand and gave Hermione a wink. So, obviously the witch didn't really think she was at risk of combusting. "I went home afterward and gave Carlton one of my own."

Laranda was a little older than Severus appeared to be. So around thirty-five or so. She was married, had three children, and while not an avid reader, did enjoy the occasional book now and again. She'd taken Hermione's recommendations and read them more than once, which led to some nice discussions between the two of them. She'd never had anyone to sit and talk about books with. Not really, not like they did.

"It wasn't that bad…"

It really wasn't. They hadn't done anything obscene or indecent. People in this time just weren't used to seeing it.

Laranda smiled then. "There was nothing bad about it, Marie. It did make me wonder, though, if he kisses you like that in public. Well, what's he doing to you in private."

"Much better," Hermione said softly and the two witches laughed.

"Excellent. I mean, for you," she said, fanning herself with her hand again.

"Well, yes. I am not complaining."

She had absolutely no complaints about Severus when it came to their sex life at all.

"That's good. And that leads me to the fact that there is a reason I asked you to come see me."

"Okay," she said. Here it comes now.

"Professor Dumbledore asked me to," she cleared her throat.

She looked slightly uncomfortable now, and Hermione couldn't help but wonder why. She didn't think Albus Dumbledore wouldn't be offended by their kissing. It wasn't as if they were shoving their tongues down one another's throats.

"He tends to be a meddlesome man, but he has an eye for things," the healer said.

"He does," Hermione said. She knew that to be true. Probably better than Laranda.

The healer grew quiet, watching Hermione for a moment.

"Is there a chance that you're with child again, Marie?"

Hermione was too stunned by the question to think coherently. Pregnant? Impossible. They hadn't yet talked about when they'd try for another child. Hermione told him she'd like to stop taking his potion in the spring. Both knew that meant a pregnancy could happen, but she hadn't been keeping track of her cycles or anything to this point to reflect that they were actively trying. (Something she knew she was ahead of her time with, and was very glad she had the 1996 knowledge of ovulation available to her.)

That didn't answer Laranda's question, though. Why would she think that?

"I'm sorry?"

"Professor Dumbledore says he noticed at breakfast the past week or so that you seemed to have an aversion to eggs and that wasn't normal…"

"Yes," she said. Eggs were a staple for her at breakfast until recently.

"He also said that you haven't been drinking as much tea as you normally do."

"I," she said, thinking now. Laranda, or rather Albus, was right. She hadn't really paid attention. It was a hugely busy time of the year. She liked taking breakfast here the week or so before classes started because it was one less thing to worry about at home. The past couple of weeks, eggs nor tea had tasted … right to her.

"When you're at home cooking, do certain meats or foods make your stomach upset when you smell them?"

Well, yes, now that she mentioned it. She just chalked it up to being tired, or overly hungry if too much time had passed between meals.

"Sometimes."

"May I?" she asked, gesturing to her midsection. And now Hermione knew why Thomas hadn't been invited today.

"Yeah, sure. I mean, yes, I really don't see how…"

Obviously, she did see how. She just didn't think after years of taking the potion she'd get pregnant within two months of quitting it.

She waved her wand over Hermione's midsection and the softness in her eyes gave Hermione the answer she needed.

Pregnant.

She was pregnant.

How in the world had that happened?

Of course she knew how it had happened, but when? Obviously, this summer sometime. It had to be this summer anyway. She'd had her period in May… She was pretty sure she had.

"You're surprised. I know there's a little bit of a gap between Thomas and this one."

"Yes, we weren't anticipating it happening as immediately after we married with Thomas as it did. We were just starting out here, you know. We decided with Erik starting his career here and me being so busy setting up the house and then starting at the library here."

"And then the financial situation…"

"Right."

"Understandable. I'll be honest, I'm kind of envious of you that you will have had over six years between Thomas and this one. He'll make an excellent big brother."

"Um, how far along?" she asked.

"Mm, eight weeks or so? A girl this time it looks like. Erik will still be pleased, I'm sure."

"Mm, yes," she said.

Would he be? Would Thomas be?

They talked for another thirty minutes or so, various symptoms and what Hermione should expect over the coming months. She glossed over them, of course, assuming the other witch had gone through all of this before. Her final words with her were accompanied by a congratulatory hug.

"Don't worry, I won't tell Albus, or anyone. Obviously you're surprised so you need to tell Erik. It's just between us, and Albus' suspicions, for now. I just knew if I didn't talk to you today I may not catch you again for weeks."

"Thank you," she said.

She made her way through the castle then to their rooms where Mintzy was sitting with Thomas. The elf, Hermione still wasn't sure if Mintzy was Albus' elf or not, really seemed to like Thomas and he was old enough now she didn't mind leaving him with elves for a little while.

"Mummy," Thomas said, offering her a smile. He'd lost one tooth about a week ago, and alternated between smiling wide to show off the gap or being tight-lipped in an effort to hide it.

"Hi, Sweetie. Are you being good for Mintzy?"

"Yes. I came up with names like you asked."

"Good. Daddy and I will look at them later." She turned her attention to the elf. "Do you know where Master Prins is, Mintzy?"

"The potions master is in his lab, Missus."

"Thank you," she said. "You're all right staying with Thomas for a little longer?"

"Of course, Missus. Young master Prins and Mintzy is good. We play."

Hermione smiled at the set of muggle Lincoln Logs strewn out on the floor in front of Thomas and Mintzy. The elf seemed to enjoy building things as much as Thomas did. Thomas was so immersed in building whatever structure he was set upon creating at the moment, that he didn't seem to mind his mum coming in and leaving almost immediately after.

"Good, thank you," she said, bowing her head politely before heading toward Severus' lab.

"Is everything all right with Healer Montgomery?" he asked.

He turned to look at her when she didn't answer right away.

"Marie Rose?" he asked. "What's wrong?"

She stared at him, back against the lab door she'd closed after coming in.

Would he be upset?

He'd mentioned wanting a child before they came back to this time, but she assumed he hadn't truly been serious. Would it being a girl bother him since Thomas was in actuality not his? She knew some men put great importance on the oldest being a boy.

An heir.

"You are starting to scare me now, Wife. Tell me what has you looking so pale and … scared?"

"I," she said, shaking her head.

"I. I know you know not only your vowels but the entirety of the alphabet. Let's try using our words, shall we?"

Why couldn't she put it into words. They'd talked about it, but it was always hypothetical. Even when she'd expressed the desire to discontinue taking the potion. They hadn't planned on it now. She stared at him, truly not knowing whether he would be upset. Things were still going to be tight for everyone for a few more years yet.

"Baby," she said simply.

His eyebrows arched up at that and he scowled at her.

"Okay, we've moved from monosyllabic vowel utterances to something I'm not sure…"

She stared at him, willing him to understand. He looked flustered because he never enjoyed not knowing what was going on. Then his mind seemed to clear, thankfully. The concern for her was slipping away, being replaced with incredulity.

"Did you say baby?" he asked, finally, the word she'd chosen to say seemed to sink in. She nodded.

His eyes fell to her abdomen as if it would answer his question for her.

"You? We? Us? Really?"

She nodded again, and he closed the distance between them.

"How did you know?"

"I didn't! Albus did," she said with a soft laugh. She felt tears in her eyes. His reaction meant he wasn't upset.

"I'm sorry?"

She shrugged.

"I mean I guess now that I think about it I haven't gotten my period in a while, but summers are so busy I don't always pay attention. I guess he noticed I haven't wanted eggs or much tea lately."

Severus scowled. "Meddling, nosy man."

"And yet, it got him to ask Laranda to see me."

She knew why he would have, too. He would have realized that she hadn't been pregnant before so wouldn't recognize those signs for what they were. In this instance, he wasn't doing it to be nosy. Not really.

"True. How far along?"

"Eight weeks she said."

"Two months," he said, hand going to her abdomen. She smiled a bit at that. She wasn't sure she even realized he did it. "Really?"

"Really."

"Well, I know what I'll be doing today then."

"Oh?"

"You will of course require the prenatal potion."

"That I suppose hasn't been developed yet, but you know the formula for."

"By heart," he said.

"Well, good thing I have you then."

"Well, you certainly wouldn't be having a baby without me."

She laughed then, sliding her hands to his shoulders. "You're not mad?"

"Mad?"

"Well, it's not the greatest of time…"

"We'll be fine. We've seen to that. Even if we weren't, we would survive, so of course I'm not mad."

"Would you like to know what it is?"

"She told you?"

"She did."

"Please then."

"A daughter."

"Really?" he asked, looking rather awe struck at the thought.

"That's what she said. She seems capable, so I have to trust her diagnostics are accurate."

"Are you feeling all right then?"

"I am. I really didn't have a clue. I haven't been getting sick or anything consistently. An upset stomach now and again, but nothing that caused me concern. The food," she shrugged. "I didn't think about it. I just thought they were cooked differently than I ordinarily prefer them."

"Your own cooking, too?"

She sighed. "I didn't think I was pregnant!"

"I'm somewhat surprised it's taken this long to be honest."

"You are?"

"Oh, I know there have been a few times I waited until after to cast the charm even before you decided to stop taking the potion. It's supposedly still as effective if done immediately after, but who's to say for certain. Couple that with," he said, sliding the back of his hand along her jaw, "as lusty as you are."

"Me?!"

He chuckled, leaning in and kissing her. "It's always the witch's fault. Don't you know that? I am but putty in your hands when it comes to your appetites."

"Mm, well, it's your putty's fault."

"Is it?" he asked, skimming her neck with his lips and teeth.

"Mm hmm, I like it."

"Like it? Do tell," he said, working the buttons on her robe so that he could kiss lower. She gasped softly but made no move to stop him.

"Yes," she murmured. "In me. On me. Of course the on me wouldn't cause this," she said and he chuckled.

"Should I endeavour for only on then going forward."

"Don't you dare," she said with a laugh and a shake of her head.

"Mm, a lifetime of oral pleasuring then?"

"No, I mean, not that I wouldn't…"

"I know you would. You are so responsive and everything we do is enjoyable because of that. I chuckle when I've heard a couple of the male staff complain about such things."

"They do?" She didn't think men talked like that in this time.

"Quietly, covertly. They don't come out and blatantly say their wife won't let them near them, or that they have had a case of blue balls for going on a month. But yes, if you know what to listen for. Men gossip just as much as women."

"That's too bad. I assume you have not made such complaints?"

"Never once," he said, undoing more of her buttons.

"Oh, I can think of almost a year…"

"I never complained. I knew it would be some time and honestly, that time was necessary for both of us. No matter your age, starting things right away with that wouldn't have given us time to find out how we work together otherwise."

"Erik," she murmured.

"Yes, Dear."

"Stop talking, finishing unbuttoning my robes so you can take me."

"Take you where?"

"You want your first case of blue balls in years then, eh?"

He chuckled. "I'll do you one better," he said, gathering her up with ease and pushing her robes up and out of the way. "Mm, a skirt. My, Madam Prins, it's as if you dressed with seduction in mind this morning."

"I always do."

A wave of his hand and his robes were opened and his trousers undone enough so that he could slide into her. They both gasped, her forehead resting against his shoulder as he thrust into her. His hands were relentless in their grip at her arse and she groaned at the feel of him, warm and strong supporting her. Knowing he'd never let her fall.

"I love you like this," he murmured, watching her as he thrust into her.

"Splotchy and sweaty?"

"Yes, of course when I'm the reason for it. That wasn't what I was going for, though. Wanton for me, here in my lab."

"Oh, well, I'm always wanton for you," she whispered.

"I recognize this, just reaffirming that I love it. The feel of you around me, soft and wet, the look in your eyes when I thrust against that spot. Right there," he said, looking entirely too proud of himself as he stroked a spot inside of her she was sure shut her brain down somehow. "The sounds you make when you shatter around my cock, my fingers - or yours, my tongue. The scent of your arousal because that's for me. Mine."

"Oh God, yes, yours."

"Just as I am yours."

"Mm, mine," she said.

"Look," he whispered and she looked down at where their bodies were joined and she gasped, clenching around the head of his cock at the sight of him glistening wet from her as he drew most of the way out of her.

Their heads touching, they both watched as he pumped into her and used his hand to work her to her release before finishing inside of her.

He cast a cleansing charm a few minutes later, adjusting and straightening their clothes and robes.

"That was an unexpected stress reliever."

"I am glad," she said.

"And thank you."

"You're thanking me for sex now?"

He chuckled. "No, the news you came to share with me. Our daughter."

"Oh, well, in that case, thank you."

"And we, well you more than me, have to act as if you've done this before. For that I apologize, as I know a woman's first pregnancy is usually treated quite special."

"Well, I don't know, getting Thomas was pretty special," she said.

"That is true and I'm glad that you do not feel … cheated."

"Nope. You and I know, that's all that matters."

"Well, do you want to help me since you distracted me so that I'm done on time?"

"Sure," she said.

"Thomas is with Mintzy?"

"He is."

"Good. She knows you're here?"

"I assume so, I asked her where you were."

"She will find us if she needs us. Let's brew your potion then."

Return to Top

Part 12 | Part 14

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com