***Chapter Twelve***
Late August 1932

Another year at Hogwarts starting in much the same fashion as the previous few had. She loved this final weekend. The staff were as prepared as they were going to be so it was somewhat of a free weekend, though many while taking today to breathe a bit would go through classrooms and lesson plans the early parts of next week to be sure they hadn't forgotten that one little thing. She always helped wherever she could, and most of the staff was more than willing to accept her assistance. They'd come to learn by now she knew her stuff. And her library was ready for the students.

She could admit, there were days that first year she felt way over her head in the librarian position. Severus had talked her down every time she mentioned approaching Dippett to turn in her resignation due to the fact that she was a fraud. It took her most of that first year and well into her second before she felt … comfortable. By her third year in the position. Well, she was thankful she hadn't quit. Anyone who thought it was an easy job didn't know what they were talking about!

Severus, Thomas, and Hermione could be seen sitting by the lake as they'd been doing every year since Severus' second year teaching here. Thomas at nearly six was walking and talking now, of course, and ready to start his formal education process with Hermione and Severus this year.

Yes, they'd been working with him for years already on basic things, but now would begin the task of formal school work and a set time each day devoted to teaching and homework. He had an attitude already, so she imagined both she and Severus were in for some pushback on this turn of events in his life.

They'd talked about enrolling him in public school, but with the economy the way it was, they didn't want to risk it. They'd prepared, through various means, for the lean years that they both knew were coming when they arrived in this time. They knew those lean years would thankfully come to an end in the next couple of years. As guilty as they felt not being able to, they couldn't warn anyone. Oh, they tried covertly. Everyone knew how self-sufficient they were, but they couldn't make people want to do things they didn't know they'd need.

So that meant so manyothers were not prepared, and many suffered. Some lost jobs. Some retained jobs but at less hours and, therefore, less income. 

They did what they could to help. Hedda, the neighbor with the walnut trees. Hermione had traded goods with her many times over the years. By now, Hedda's daughter's family was living with her, having lost their house. She usually gave Hedda more than she received, but Hedda was always so appreciative and didn't seem to get insulted that sometimes Hermione didn't take anything in exchange at all. There were a few other neighbours in the area Hermione was familiar with she did the same for.

They contributed anonymously via Hogwarts and the Ministry whatever they could. Hermione had carefully stored all of Thomas' clothes and baby items to donate when the time came. There were a few things like his favorite baby blanket and such they kept, but otherwise it got passed on to someone who needed it more than they needed it sitting in their attic for a possible second child one day.

They both agreed that as a result of their preparedness (and frugalness because that was part of it, too, they'd known to save) that Thomas would stand out if they sent him to muggle school because they could afford things that others in his peer group likely could not.

Yes, they could transfigure his clothes so they didn't look as nice and new as they were, however, what they could not do was control the things he'd say when he was outside of their presence. All it would take was for him to say the wrong thing about what they had or what he'd gotten for Christmas to someone and he could be picked on, made fun of, or shunned.

They both felt strongly that while they couldn't avoid conflict for him for all of his life they could at least now at this age. And children could be viciously cruel, even in the 1930s.

Hermione had never really bothered to think about how segregated the muggle and wizarding worlds were as having an effect on things during these lean years. Yes, the wizarding world suffered, but not nearly as badly as muggles they saw when they went to London on occasion.

Severus had taken the past couple of years to patent some potions that until now hadn't been thought of. They to this point had not had to use Hermione's notebook, though both had indulged in some small bets just for the sheer joy of it.

It was fun. They made a game out of it. Each time one or the other would pick an event from her notebook. They would place their bets independently of one another and then the one who hadn't picked the event would say who they thought would win. Their personal wagers were from everything to specific meals, positions in bed, weekend excursions, or items wanted.

The squid was active today and Thomas was watching, enthralled as the large animal swung its arms and tentacles about.

Next weekend they had tickets to a Puddlemore United quidditch game. Of course her son would like quidditch. They'd gone with a few others from Hogwarts to a game last year and Thomas had quickly developed an infatuation with their chaser Joscelind Wadcock when she scored a crazy amount of goals.

And so, Puddlemore United was Thomas' quidditch team of choice. They were playing the Chudley Cannons, and Hermione assumed that Puddlemore would be victorious again, with Miss Wadcock having an opportunity to score many more goals. Maybe Chudley was better in this time. She didn't pay close enough attention to scores and standings to know, though she had some in her notebook. She was pretty sure Ronald had told her they hadn't won the League in the twentieth century.

Albus approached the trio.

"Ah, the Prins'. No surprise finding the three of you here. Are you enjoying the day?" he asked.

"We are," Severus said. "As are many others on this last weekend before the castle is overrun. And you, Albus?"

"Yes, thank you. Always something to do. I saw you sitting here and thought I'd come thank you again for a most enjoyable evening last weekend."

"We're glad that you enjoyed it," Severus said.

For one night, they turned their ballroom into a big game room and invited all staff members who wanted to come for a Saturday night of cards and games, food and drinks as well, of course. Balls just weren't their thing; they'd both agreed, and anyone could host a ball. There was an … expectation that an invitation would be extended at some point to give others at Hogwarts a glimpse into their non-school life. Severus got the impression taking this long was unusual. Thomas had been a viable excuse for a year or two, but no longer.

From the feedback they'd received, and the comments they'd both overheard, Albus' opinion seemed to be in the majority. There were a few who thought including women for cards and gaming was unseemly, but no one had truly reacted negatively.

"You have made a lovely and welcoming home," Albus said.

"For which we owe you."

"Nonsense. I didn't give you a home, Erik. I gave you a structure that had walls, floors, and a roof. From the information provided to me, it was the least I could do. I could have given you any empty home, Erik. You wouldn't have known the difference from this one to another I may have given you not thinking you deserved it. Yours wasn't the only one standing empty suddenly. What you chose to do with it, well, that was up to you. The two of you, and your son of course, have made it into a home. That's your doing, and it's nice to see it … flourishing so, inside and out. I look forward to returning again sometime. Perhaps in a more intimate setting," he said.

"Of course," Hermione said.

"And you are feeling well, my dear?" he asked.

"I am."

"Good."

"Master Thomas, are you enjoying the squid?"

"Yes, Sir," he said.

"Good. And you are ready to begin your studies?"

"Yes," he said.

His answer to that question was not nearly as enthusiastic. Albus chuckled at the obviously different response. He rested a hand at the top of Thomas' head, settling it there gently.

"Fear not, soon enough you will be a student here, too. First, though, you must do your school work as your mother guides you to do. She is a smart witch, so knows exactly what to do to prepare you not just for Hogwarts, but for life. We are all expecting great things from you." He gestured to the castle. "Until then, behave for your parents."

"Yes, Sir," he said.

He knelt then so he was virtually eye to eye with Thomas.

"Between you and me, young man, your parents are two of the bravest and most selfless people that I know. I know those might seem like big words, but one day you'll understand them, and know how true my words are today. They went through a great deal and traveled a long way to have you. So respect them, and always follow their example."

Thomas glanced from Albus to his parents then out to the lake and the squid. He gave a slight nod and Albus stood then.

"And the library is ready for students, Madam Prins?"

"Yes, of course. I was able to obtain a few new volumes that will be of interest to those who are wanting to focus on arithmancy and runes."

"Excellent. I do love a librarian who wants to ensure students have the resources they need to be challenged and succeed. Have you made your trek to Hogsmeade yet today?" Albus asked them.

"No," Hermione replied.

How did this man know it had become a tradition for them to do that on this last Saturday before the new school year started?

Then she supposed she shouldn't be surprised. This was Albus Dumbledore, after all. He knew lots of things that many wondered how he managed to learn. The shop owners seemed to enjoy seeing the changes in Thomas from May to September. Hermione didn't get to Hogsmeade much during the late spring through late fall as she was usually very busy at home.

"I'll leave you to it then, I just wanted again to thank you for a nice evening. Nights of games are not usually for … mixed company. Myself and others were not sure what to make of it when the invitation was made, but it was admittedly a vast improvement over the usual offerings. Balls and formal dinner parties grow tedious. Of course if asked I will deny ever saying such a thing," he said with a smile and a wink. "Do not be surprised if you are asked for ideas going forward."

"Thank you for the warning, Albus," Severus said with a nod.

"The warning was actually for your wife, Erik, not you. No offense, but we all know whose idea it was, and who planned it right down to what colour napkin went with which guest."

Severus smirked, glancing at Hermione with a shake of his head. Hermione knew she was blushing profusely. She supposed there were worse things to be known for than exacting and precise with planning things.

"Nevertheless, thank you for the warning."

They watched him leave. Thomas was focused on the squid while she and Severus watched Albus walk across the grounds toward an entrance to the castle.

"I never thought I'd see the day where I'd have a conversation with him about games and Hogsmeade and my day."

Severus chuckled. "It is different," he said. "Even for me. Prior to here, our interactions were always laced with … the past. My misdeeds."

She settled a hand over his, squeezing. "That you have more than made up for."

"If you say so."

"I know so. What we're doing alone I think qualifies. You are already making a difference in not just Thomas' life but mine."

"Perhaps," he said with a nod of his head.

He doubted the difference in her life she knew. She worked hard and long hours. He felt guilty about that. Granted, she knew she wouldn't be planting and harvesting crops and milking cows and delivering livestock young if she was back in 2002. There was something, though, about sitting in the living room with Thomas and Severus on a summer's evening listening to a show on the radio while they ate apples or homemade crisps that had come from her hard work that was very fulfilling.

The three of them liked to put together their own descriptions of possible visuals for what they were hearing on the radio. It was fun, and a great way to encourage Thomas to use his imagination. And to learn that anyone can be anything, no matter what they sound or look like.

She knew it bothered Severus how tired she was some nights. He did help, in his own way. She chose to be as active in the work as she was. She wanted to know she could do it if the elves disappeared for whatever reason. He didn't see it that way, but she did. She closed the distance between them, setting a hand against his cheek.

"There are only two people in the world who know. Me and you. No one else knows. We've already changed so much. We don't know what's going to happen from here. You and I both know that. We know we're not, he's not, in the clear yet. However, I am confident that we will succeed, and those memories won't matter. Other than to be used by you as a guide as to how you don't want to live this life. I wish you could see yourself through my eyes," she whispered. "You are loyal and brave. You've made mistakes, costly ones. You are not the only one, Erik. And you have spent literally years atoning for them. You don't shy away from having committed them. You feel guilt over having made them. And you have made the ultimate sacrifice."

She leaned in then, kissing him lightly. She stood then, taking Thomas' hand. He was at the age he didn't really want to hold his mum's hand anymore, but did it since it was still expected. He was safe here and in Hogsmeade, no one was going to take him, but she still liked that contact.

"And since I'm telling you what I see, I'll tell you how what I see makes me feel. If you aren't quite aware of the fact by now, I'm in love with you, Erik Magnus STS Prins. I cannot imagine going through this experience with anyone else by my side. You tell me all of the time that I'm strong, but sometimes I don't feel as though I am. Sometimes I'm really quite exhausted, so I borrow some strength and bravery from you."

She turned away then, knowing she'd said too much. Honestly, she wasn't sure how she'd refrained from screaming it from the battlements for a couple of years now.

Love.

She loved him so much it hurt because she hadn't realized it could be like this.

No, it hadn't happened the moment they said their vows or anything cliched like that.

Somewhere, though, along the way he'd claimed her heart. Lock, stock, and barrel. They very rarely talked about feelings. They never said they even liked let alone loved one another. She wasn't sure how anyone could avoid falling in love with someone they shared space so intimately with. She imagined it was possible.

Her thoughts went to the boy whose hand she was currently holding. Whose life she was partially responsible for. In some ways she was more responsible for him than Severus was, since she was the one spending the majority of the time with him as mothers usually did. She was the one in charge of his education at the moment. Severus helped, Thomas certainly knew it was a dual effort. She had no doubt that the things Severus did with him made a difference, too.

This boy had never had anyone to love. He'd never had anyone truly love him either when it got down to it.

She sighed deeply as realization dawned on her.

Neither had Severus.

Until now.

She loved them both.

They had her. She just hoped she was enough to make a difference.

For both of them.

He grabbed her arm then. He wasn't rough or violent about it, but he was definitely demanding her attention.

"You say something like that and then turn away from me."

She choked back a gasp. This was why she hadn't admitted it until now. "I didn't want to see the look in your eye."

"What look is that?"

"The look that says I'm nice enough and we're here, but you cannot feel that way about me…"

"Do not speak for me. Do not put words into my mouth."

She looked up at him. She knew there were tears in her eyes. "It doesn't change anything. Really. It's okay. I've known for a long time how I feel," she whispered.

"How long?"

She shrugged.

Of course he would ask that.

How did you put your finger on love? When had tolerance become friendliness that led to attraction that turned into affection? She wasn't sure.

"Probably our second Valentine's Day."

"That long?"

She nodded. Their first Valentine's Day he'd given her a bouquet of pink ranunculus. Their second they'd switched from pink to red.

The note had been almost as terribly succinct as the first one.

Dear Marie Rose,

You seemed to approve of these last year. That approval led to, if I may be honest and so bold, the most memorable night of my life. So I went with what worked. I am a creature of habit, after all. I do find this year the hearts and cupids are less bothersome than in years past. (I am grateful there is no glitter!) I imagine you and Thomas have played a role in that being so. So, I find myself not rolling my eyes as I wish my wife a Happy Valentine's Day.

Still however begrudgingly,

Erik

She was pretty sure that was the moment she knew without a doubt she loved him. It was a stupid holiday. One she knew that he hated. Yet, for her, he remembered. And gave.

The notes every year were of the same vein, each year getting a little more … romantic but still keeping to his nature.

That second one, though.

That, and he was a deliberate man.

There was a reason they had been pink the previous year. So she could only guess there was a reason they had been red that second year.

He took her into his arms then and she gasped a second time as he kissed her.

Not just a polite peck either. One that probably would have made Rhett Butler blush.

A full-blown, lips parted enough that she felt his tongue graze her lower lip, kiss and she moaned against him, sliding one arm around his neck. (She still had Thomas' hand in her other one.). She couldn't help it. This was not the response she had expected when confessing such a thing to him. She wasn't sure what she'd pictured: ridicule, sarcasm, pity. It was the reason she'd held it in.

"It was the day he was born for me. When I came home and saw you sitting by the window, holding and rocking him. I knew what had been missing from my life was simply you."

"Severus," she whispered.

"There was someone, many years ago," he whispered. "I thought that was love. I thought at the age of twelve and thirteen that I knew what it was. I guess everyone that age thinks they have all the answers. I knew in that precise moment, seeing you with him: loving and accepting him knowing what you know about him, that my vow to protect and provide for you no longer had anything to do with a promise I made to someone who would never remember the promise being made. I knew in that moment that this was real, and what I'd thought was love before was nothing more than a childhood crush turned into morbid and ultimately deadly infatuation."

She drew away then. Was she hearing him right? "You don't love her?"

Morgana. She'd spent years wondering how she could measure up to Harry's mum. Days she broke a nail so low along her finger tip to the point of it bleeding. Days her face was chafed from the wind. Days she burnt the cookies or pie. Days she didn't have the energy to wash the bedding so the sheets waited another day.

"I do not," he said. He did not seem shocked that she knew there'd been someone. "I have not for a long time. I'd be more upset about Minerva telling you if I did. I realized that as well that night. Albus," he shook his head. "Liked to manipulate. Reminding me of why I was spying. He kept it fresh. I had months before he was born to watch you. I expected you to drive me insane. I expected for you to act petulant, and as if I should cater to your every whim because you were doing me a favour by being here with me. I watched you, though, as, like Albus said, you made the house we were given into a home. Our home. I certainly didn't do that beyond giving you money. I listened as you fretted over how we could sustain during the forthcoming hard times, using that tenaciousness that I knew you put forth toward your studies into what we would need to do to not have to worry. I am aware that you walked and rode our property endlessly at varying times of not just the day but of the year that first year here to ensure you were using the land in the right way. For what to plant where for the best results. I know you did not want Thomas to worry or for him to think we would lose things as he saw happen with others. I know you fretted about buying things like cardboard for the board you made for me. Which, by the way, was the night I first had an inkling that my feelings were not entirely platonic. I kissed you that night, if you recall, for the first time since we said our vows."

"My, you are wordy today," she murmured, glancing behind him now. They were being watched. She glanced down to Thomas who was staring at them almost the same as the adults were. Professors didn't make out with their spouses on the grounds of Hogwarts every day. Certainly not in 1932.

"Mummy Daddy kiss," he said.

He didn't look upset or concerned, but maybe a little confused.

"Of course Mummy and Daddy kiss, Thomas. You see us kiss all of the time," she said.

Maybe all of the time was an exaggeration, but they displayed affection with one another around him. Hand holding, kisses hello and goodbye, touches, making meals together when they could, and so forth. They both thought that was important for him to see in action. That he had a positive example. Seeing how people treated others, and learning how to treat others, started in the home.

"And we're being stared at by more than just our son," she murmured. Her husband, for his part, was looking a bit proud of himself.

"I expect that we are. I can imagine most of them haven't kissed their own spouse in such a fashion, let alone seen anyone else do so. Back to our topic. I'm saying this because as you know I am not a talkative man by nature. I do not wear my emotions on my sleeve. I have lived too long as a spy to change certain … behaviours. I will try to improve, but I say this today because I want you to know that I do feel the same way. Your feelings are not one sided. I have been in love with you for years. I am only sorry that it took my second Valentine's Day note for me to sway you into realizing your feelings, that I was worthy of loving. I hope that will sustain you in between now and the next time that I say it."

"I think it will," she whispered. "Begrudgingly."

"Insolence," he said with a low chuckle. This was accompanied by a brushing of the back of his hand along her jaw. "Should we really shock them?"

"Mm, you want to kiss me again?"

He didn't answer with words, instead claiming her mouth again. She could definitely get used to this side of Severus Snape. Damn what any of these uptight witches and wizards thought.

She'd kiss him all day if he'd let her.

Return to Top

Part 11 | Part 13

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com