***Chapter Seven***

They'd talked more than one time the past couple of weeks. The first time he'd called to thank her again for the baseball game. He really had enjoyed himself, and being in her company was just an added bonus.

He was certain she had another friend that she could have asked to join her and her son for the day. He'd had an unexpectedly nice time both there and with them afterward. He had to admit there was something rather … pleasing to watch a child see and do these things for the first time. So the polite thing to do was to acknowledge that good time with a thank you.

Her comment about feeling his magic was … interesting.

He'd only heard of another person responding to someone's magic in such a fashion in a few instances. People like Molly and Arthur Weasley came immediately to mind.

He didn't believe in such a thing as soul mates, but he did believe that like recognized like.

That magic called to similar magic.

He hadn't known to look for any sort of reaction when apparating her and her son to the game, but on the way home he had. And he'd seen a look in her eye he'd never expected to see in a witch's eyes aimed at him

He'd felt the pull, too. That call to claim her. Came very close to kissing her. In front of her son. The boy's presence had been the only thing that stopped him. That and being a reaction, to his magic or not, he wasn't certain she'd be receptive to it. They still had not put any sort of label on what they were doing. He hadn't told Draco about seeing her even. He wasn't ashamed or being covert. He just didn't feel like being called a fool over a witch.

Again.

She called the next day, he called a day or two following that, and a pattern seemed to evolve.

The Saturday after the baseball game they'd spent a few hours at what the state of Illinois called a forest preserve not far from the city. These were state owned open spaces set aside as designated nature areas. No two preserves were the same evidently.

It was a passable way to spend a couple of hours outside, walking various trails the state had established. There were areas designed for picnics, complete with grills. That would be something to contemplate for next summer, it had been a little too cool to do so that day.

He liked that he wanted to do something with her next summer. That was a new feeling for him. Unexpected, but he was discovering it was welcome.

Last Saturday they went to a suburban farm that had a much more extensive petting zoo than the Brookfield Zoo had. Cade had been able to pet animals like deer, rabbits, sheep, pigs, and goats. He was able to get up close and personal with horses and even a tortoise. A pony ride had happened, too, with his mum walking beside him. Cade enjoyed it immensely. Severus had to admit that his enthusiasm was contagious, leading to him enjoying himself as well. The establishment had stores as well. He would equate it to Hogsmeade. Much, much smaller in scale, as there were only a handful of stores and they were muggle but the … feel was similar to Hogsmeade.

That old world way of doing things: homemade jams, candies, candles, and soaps; a quilting store that offered both finished quilts as well as materials for making one's own; an antique store; a cafe that served home cooked meals like "Grandma used to make". It, too, had been a rather enjoyable way to pass a day. If it hadn't been for Hermione, he would never have even heard of the place as it was clearly geared towards families and children.

Today, they went to a pumpkin patch. The boy had enjoyed homemade apple cider and a hayride as well as a bouncy house (something Severus had never heard of until that moment but Cade seemed to have a good time). He'd had no interest in another pony ride. Hermione thought it was more excitement at doing things he hadn't done last week than an aversion to the pony ride itself.

That led to this moment.

For some unknown reason, Severus had volunteered to carve the chosen pumpkin for the boy.

That was where they were now.

He knew nowt about carving pumpkins. He recalled having a jack-o-lantern only once as a child. Hagrid had tried to get him to join in on the pumpkin carving at Hogwarts, but Severus had always rejected the half giant's attempts to wrangle Severus in.

He was more than capable with a blade so it shouldn't be a problem. No, it wasn't skill that had him nervous.

It was the boy.

What if he asked for something that Severus just could not do? Or, worse, what if the boy asked for something that Severus thought he could do but bollocksed it up? He wasn't sure he wanted to be laughed at by a three year old. Or responsible for making said three year old cry.

When and how had he allowed this three (and a half) year old child to have so much … power over him?

Hermione was making dinner while Cade was deciding what he wanted his jack-o-lantern to look like. The couple of times she'd cooked for him had been more than passable. Even the spaghetti with jarred sauce. She'd done something to the sauce, added something, so it wasn't just jarred sauce. He supposed she was responsible for feeding her son so she had to learn at some point. He didn't see her having much reason to learn at Hogwarts.

Severus regarded the boy. He was too focused to notice Severus was watching him. It gave him free reign to observe.

He was sucking on the tip of his thumbnail as he stared at the pumpkin. He wasn't sucking on the actual thumb. He'd thought for a moment he was and went to stop him, but realized he'd seen him do this before when the boy was thinking.

With that gesture, he had an idea whose child this boy was.

He thought back to meeting Wren Rosier back at Hogwarts. He was two years behind Severus and one of Evan's younger brothers. He hadn't adjusted to Hogwarts well at first, not unusual really. Not everyone adapted to being hours away from everything familiar to them. Severus could recall seeing him sitting in the Slytherin common room biting on his thumbnail just as Cade was currently doing (and Severus had noticed him doing previously now that he thought about it). It wasn't nerves necessarily. In Wren's case it was just him taking in his surroundings. He had been a quiet, introspective boy. It was part of the reason he and Severus had become friendly.

With a father in mind as a good possibility based on this little habit, Severus looked a little closer at the boy as he was deciding on his decoration of choice.

Evidently this was a monumental decision.

He could see it.

His hair was the same shade of brown as Evan and Wren's. His eyes were a similar shade of green as he remembered Evan and Wren's to be as well. Not that it mattered. Hermione had not offered up the names of Cade's parents and when it got down to it, it made no difference. It didn't mean Severus wasn't curious.

Wren's wife was … What was her name?

She was Spanish if he recalled correctly. Possibly Portuguese. He'd met her during his summer abroad after finishing Hogwarts. The First Wizarding War had not been over yet but things like trips to the continent were still popular for people like the Rosiers. For those like Wren who weren't actually involved in the war or in Azkaban anyway. Not that Severus would have been able to afford such a thing when he'd finished his schooling even without a war going on.

What was her name?

Camila?

Yes, he was pretty sure because he recalled thinking when he'd received the wedding invitation (which he did not attend) that Camila and Wren Rozier even sounded … nice together.

"Count," the boy said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. Probably best he pulled Severus away from dwelling on those years.

"I'm sorry."

How in the world was he supposed to carve counting? Did he want numbers? Not very decorative to Severus' mind, but he could do numbers if that was what the boy wanted.

Cade stood then and left the room quickly, leaving Severus puzzled until he came back a couple of minutes later with one of the video cassette tape boxes he'd seen in the living room Hermione had for him.

"Count," he said, pointing at a picture of the lavender puppet who seemed to be a vampire and taught children how to count. (Yes, Severus understood the irony of Count Dracula teaching children to count.)

"This is truly what you want on your jack o'lantern?" This was not at all what he'd been expecting.

"Count!"

"Very well," he said with a nod. If it was what the boy wanted.

No pressure or anything.

He sighed inwardly. What was he thinking making such an offer? Of course the boy would want something different.

Severus went to work then to try and recreate a vampire puppet, complete with a bat and castle just for effect, in a pumpkin. He carved one for Hermione, too. This one he chose to do a cat wearing a witch's hat with a full moon overseeing its activities.

That done, Severus spelled the finished projects so for a moment the cat chased after Count's bat, going onto its haunches in an effort to ensnare said bat in its front claws.

This made Cade laugh almost hysterically.

"Again!"

This went on for probably about twenty minutes until Hermione announced dinner was ready. Severus showed Hermione the jack-o-lanterns and the charm he'd used, which she found entertaining as well.

He had to admit, hearing laughter was nice. That he was responsible for it was immensely so.



Hermione was lying in bed fresh from a bath. She had a book on her lap and the television in her room turned on to a movie. She started when the phone rang next to her bed. She glanced at the clock, sighing softly at the idea of being called out to a crime scene at almost midnight.

It didn't happen real often, but often enough it was a possibility.

"This is Hermione," she said into the receiver when she picked it up.

'Hello, it's Severus.'

"Oh, hi," she said, surprised. He hadn't left that long ago.

They'd talked more than a couple of times now, but neither had ever called one another this late at night. That made her concerned. Had something happened? To him? To Draco?

"Is everything all right?"

'It is, thank you for asking. Were you expecting someone else?'

"No, not at all. I looked at the time and assumed something had happened. That I was being called out to a scene."

'I apologize. I had not thought of that entering your mind. I am not accustomed to socializing with DMLE employees or those who are associated with that department to where that would matter.'

She smiled a little at that. Of course he wouldn't be. "It's okay. You didn't mean to. I wasn't asleep yet. I just got done with a bath and was debating about reading or watching a bad late night movie in bed before going to sleep. Is everything really all right?"

'Yes, but I realized as I was readying myself for bed that I think I left my wallet behind.'

"Oh! I didn't notice as I was cleaning up, but I can go look."

'If you could look tomorrow that will be fine and let me know. I can apparate over to retrieve it whenever it is convenient. Maybe check your car if you don't find it in the house.'

"Yeah, sure. You don't need it tonight?"

'I'm turning in now and have nowhere to be tomorrow.'

"Okay. If you're sure."

'Positive.'

"I'm glad you got home okay."

'Okay?' There was a pause here. Was that a stupid thing to say? To express concern? Stupid Hermione. 'You were concerned I was going to splinch myself?'

"Well, we did finish off that bottle of wine."

'Between the two of us. I was not intoxicated.'

"I know you weren't, Severus. I was teasing. It doesn't mean that I don't wonder if you get home all right."

'Noted, and your concern is appreciated.'

"You're a natural as a le trancheur."

He chuckled and she smiled at that. She wasn't sure she'd ever get used to hearing Severus Snape laugh. That she caused it and it wasn't directed at her was nice.

'You should see me when I cast my own Sectumsempra.'

"I hope never to have to see that in my lifetime, Severus."

'I hope that you do not either, truthfully.'

"Okay, well, good night then."

'And thank you again for dinner.'

"Say," she said. "If you wanted to come to the house on Halloween you could keep me company while Cade has a sugar high and my doorbell rings all night."

He paused here again, longer than the last silence and she wondered if she made a horrible mistake. They'd never made plans during the week. And too late she remembered what Halloween likely meant to him.

Stupid! He's going to think I'm incredibly thoughtless.

'Let me look at my schedule.'

Yeah, that was a polite way of saying no way in hell was he going to show up on Halloween. Again, stupid.

"Sure. If you can't, I completely understand."

'I will let you know. I do appreciate the offer.'

"You're welcome. Good night then."

Best to hang up before she said something else dumb. She disconnected, letting her finger graze along the receiver afterward.

What were they doing?

Were these weekly outings dates?

Did she need a name put to them?

Why couldn't she ask him what they were?

Tonight wasn't the first time she'd wondered about that. She enjoyed spending time with him. Did she need to know anything else? He was, surprisingly, very good with Cade. He almost seemed to have as much of a childlike enjoyment at some of the things he'd accompanied them in doing as Cade did. And given what she knew of his childhood, it was possible that he'd never experienced any of these things himself until now.

She hadn't asked because she didn't want to embarrass him or make him think she thought less of him somehow.

Not that she'd ever been to a baseball game herself either. These few weeks of doing something every weekend weren't entirely normal for her. The pumpkin patch today had been a whim, it was a decent day and she noticed after the day at the zoo that Cade slept solidly after spending all day outdoors as they had. He was such a ball of energy constantly these days that him sleeping without an argument and soundly at that seemed important.

Had he left his wallet here intentionally to have an excuse to see her again tomorrow? She didn't think he would feel he needed an excuse. He was the one who'd suggested the forest preserve the weekend before last. She hadn't even known such things existed, truthfully. Evidently, he'd been to one or two for surveillances he'd done.

She set her book on the nightstand, realizing that the last thing she needed now was to engage her mind even more than it was sitting here thinking about Severus Snape. Maybe she could find a sitcom repeat on or something to help her turn her mind off before bed.

Return to Top

Part 6 | Part 8

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com