***Chapter Eight***

It was Tuesday night. He had found his wallet so had not had to go to Hermione's Sunday. Probably best. He was still … processing her Halloween invitation. Had he gone there and seen her physically he likely would have been tempted to say yes because he liked seeing her.

Draco came and sat next to him on the couch. Severus eyed him wearily. He hadn't come to sit next to him in months. Things weren't strained between them or anything. Draco just tended to do his own thing, which was fine.

Draco also knew that Severus was frustrated with his sexual exploits. Not that Severus thought sex was a bad thing, but he just couldn't see how what Draco was doing was healthy. This led to Draco avoiding him more often than not. His godson wasn't stupid and knew he had a good thing here. Severus could understand a few months of wild behaviour, but it had been three years and he still didn't seem to be settling down.

Recently, before his association with Hermione had begun but it certainly influenced his thoughts. Well, Severus wondered if he was being too lenient. If there was something he was doing wrong that the young man wasn't growing up. The contrast between his godson and the witch he was pursuing (he could admit at this point, weeks into it, that he was doing just that) were not lost on him. They were the same age, and yet Hermione was working her way up, already running a department, and Draco appeared stagnant.

He seemed content in that, too.

Severus was pretty sure if he hadn't insisted Draco contribute to the household expenses that he wouldn't work.

He just wasn't sure what to do for him. He couldn't make him want to move on with his life. He couldn't make him put his father's beliefs and teachings into perspective and learn from them. He couldn't make him heal.

"Earth to Severus," Draco said.

Severus merely grunted.

He hadn't really been looking for company at the moment, which was maybe something he needed to work on to help Draco. Living like a recluse despite having his godson under his roof may not be setting a healthy example. He wondered what Draco would say about his weekly excursions with Hermione the past few weeks. As it was, his godson didn't know he was doing anything with his weekends to this point.

He had things on his mind tonight so the intrusion was perhaps a bit less appreciated than normal. Things that likely Draco would laugh at him about. And honestly, things that could put a crimp in Draco's lifestyle. Because if he went through with pursuing Hermione to the conclusion he'd like. Well, his godson would be on his own. Severus was renting his home. Hermione owned and seemed to like her home. Truthfully, he did, too.

His place here was decent, but Hermione's was homey. Comfortable. A place he could envision having company over for dinner or a night of movies. He had never once in three years entertained in his home. Draco had people over frequently, but they didn't sit in the living room and watch television or eat together at the dinner table. Severus could see … entertaining with Hermione at her home.

And that scared him. He never realized until now he had such … desires.

Which brought him back to Draco coming down to sit with him. Those thoughts, the pursuit of the witch he had embarked upon, would likely put Draco out of a home. He didn't know what would happen to his godson if that occurred. Would he stay in the Chicagoland area? Would he return to Britain? Would he go elsewhere?

He was trying to figure it out. He didn't want to hurt the younger wizard, but it seemed Severus Snape was ready to move on.

This led to his not feeling social this evening. He couldn't tell him to leave. That would be rude. He was in their shared living room after all rather than his office or bedroom. Still, though, Draco tended to spend his time in the third bedroom that, since there were only two of them, was really his godson's personal living room complete with his own television and video game console.

Draco was quiet, assessing. Severus wasn't looking at him, but he could feel the younger wizard's gaze on him. There were times Severus wondered what Draco saw when he looked at him.

Did he see a man who'd lied to his father for years? And ultimately him. In fact, he probably had lied more directly to Draco during his time at Hogwarts then he had to Lucius. He didn't see Lucius Malfoy daily.

Did he see a man who was too old to even be contemplating what he was thinking about?

Did he see a bitter old wizard who deserved to be alone for his role in things?

These were things they never spoke of. It was a slippery slope, and likely neither really wanted to go there. Severus knew he didn't at any rate. He could only assume Draco didn't either.

Then again, maybe their lack of communication was the reason Draco was living the life he currently was. Maybe he was waiting for Severus to take a firm stance and tell him to get his act together or get out.

Something to think about for a time when Draco wasn't hung over and Severus wasn't thinking about a witch that his godson had gone to school with.

"What's got you so pensive, Godfather?"

What didn't have him pensive?

He thought of Hermione and the as yet unnamed thing that was happening between them. There was a reason he was hesitant to label it, or ask her to do so.

Her son.

Not that Severus minded him, he didn't. He just wasn't sure he truly wanted the responsibility of a girlfriend (how he loathed that term, but partner wasn't appropriate at this juncture) and a child. A child with no father who would ultimately look up to Severus as that if things went the way he wanted them to with Hermione.

Did he really want that?

"Would you date someone with a child?" It was a vague question, not admitting to or confessing anything.

"No," Draco said.

Interesting. The wizard hadn't even taken a second to think over his answer.

"No?"

"No," he said with a shrug. "Why should I do that?"

"No hesitation? No exceptions?"

"No, even if she was the greatest lay in the world, it wouldn't be worth that baggage."

Severus said nothing, shaking his head. Would he have thought that way at twenty-one? Severus wasn't sure. He thought likely he would, but not for the same reasons Draco had just given. Whether a witch had children or not wouldn't have prevented him from having sex with her.

More silence. Draco wasn't stupid. Severus could almost feel it when the pieces fell into place for him.

"Why? Have you met someone?"

Severus couldn't bring himself to answer. Answering would make it real. He'd be admitting out loud his interest in the witch. Of wanting to court her.

"I see," Draco said, obviously filling in the blanks from Severus' non-answer. "And she has a child?"

Severus still said nothing. He wasn't sure what to say. He didn't want to lie to him and saying he'd met someone would be a lie. Indirect or not. Technically, he already knew her. Splitting hairs.

"Well, it's a little different for you, someone your age I mean. Muggle I suppose since you don't really cross into the magical world here much. They divorce a lot I've heard."

Draco wasn't crossing into the magical world here much either. He was afraid to, afraid that the Malfoy name would follow him even across an ocean and half of a continent.

"I have spent a weekend day with her and her son for the past six weeks."

"Okay, so that sounds like you've already decided you would date someone with a child."

Severus shrugged. His godson wasn't wrong, and he himself had realized about five weeks ago that he would. Hell, he knew when he made the decision to continue with the Art Institute once he realized Cade was hers that he would be willing to date someone with a child.

Not just someone.

And maybe that was wrong. It didn't really matter as she wasn't just anyone. She was Hermione. He wasn't sure he'd date anyone with a child.

"There's nothing wrong with that."

Severus rolled his eyes. Draco was obviously talking about his last statement, not what Severus was thinking. He wasn't a legilimens so would have no idea what was going through his godfather's mind at the moment.

"She has invited me to go trick or treating with them tomorrow night."

This was the crux of it, and what led to his mood tonight. Halloween was … not his favorite day of the year. Lily's death aside, he just didn't like it. Or maybe Lily's death on that date forever soured it for him. He really didn't know.

She'd asked him over the weekend and he honestly hadn't even realized Halloween was that week. Of course he knew what day it was. He just hadn't been paying attention to the calendar to realize. It was the first year in over twenty he could remember it creeping up on him versus it being like an albatross around his neck from the moment the students arrived at Hogwarts each fall.

"Oh," Draco said.

Severus glanced at his godson who appeared rather puzzled.

"This is the first Halloween in twenty years that I don't … dread the day. I honestly hadn't even paid attention to the fact it was this Wednesday when she asked me. I knew it was approaching, obviously, as I know when Halloween falls."

"So, what's the problem? I mean, inviting you to go with them and the day creeping up on you is a good sign. Isn't it?"

"I don't know if she feels the same."

"If she's been seeing you for six weeks I'd say she must."

"You think so? It hasn't been every day or anything, just Saturdays. Or Sundays if I had to work."

And it was always him who had to work Saturday. She seemed to have her weekends free. Evidently that was one of her stipulations for moving with her toddler son across an ocean to a city where she knew no one. He couldn't say as he blamed her for making such a request. Obviously if an emergency arose she would work, but normally she worked Monday through Friday.

"That's still a commitment. If she didn't want to spend her time with you she wouldn't."

"I'm not sure we're dating, though," he muttered. He hoped that didn't sound as pathetic as he thought it did.

"Oh, so you haven't even sussed that out. Have you had sex?"

"No! She's a single parent, Draco."

He couldn't believe his godson asked him that! Certainly if they'd seen one another for weeks and were having sex, he'd have some idea that they were involved.

"Yes, well, in my experience single mums have hormones to spare and man, the few I've…"

"Enough! I'm not in the mood to hear about your exploits. I am a gentleman and would not treat a woman I am thinking of courting improperly. We have not even kissed."

Draco scoffed, staring at him. He shook his head then, seeming to realize Severus spoke the truth.

"Man, there's being old fashioned, and there's just being ridiculous."

"Draco."

"So, are you saying you haven't like made out kiss or good night kiss?"

"Neither."

There'd been one moment. After the baseball game, he'd thought about it. The look in her eye after he'd apparated them home had been arousing … and heady.

"Man, Godfather, you suck at this. I understand how you were raised, how things are back home. We're not living there anymore! You have to think like an American now. And, let me tell you, they love the accent!" Draco waggled his eyebrows here.

"I will not be taking that under advisement."

Draco chuckled.

"So, six weeks and no action at all? Kiss her already."

Easy for Draco to offer that advice when he wasn't Severus and didn't know who they were talking about.

"What if she doesn't want me to?"

The thing was he thought she might want him to. He just wasn't sure how to cross that line. When Cade was awake was wrong. Making a move after she'd put the boy to bed seemed … as if he had been waiting for him to go to bed for hours. And, in truth, he enjoyed spending time with the boy.

"Well, all right, it can be difficult to tell. I'm telling you, though, her seeing you this regularly is a pretty good clue to her being interested. Unless. Well, has she given you the impression you're friend-zoned?"

"I'm sorry? What in the world is that?"

He'd never even heard such a term before!

"Like she sees you as a friend only. Like Granger and Potter. Totally friend-zoned, but in their case it was reciprocal so it worked for them I guess. I'm still not sure I trust that Potter didn't want under her robes …."

"Enough!"

Merlin's balls, he didn't want to think about Potter pursuing Hermione. It was bad enough thinking of her being interested in Weasley.

Severus thought over their time together. He thought she was interested, that he had not been relegated to this friend zone Draco referred to. He just was not sure how to take that step. Did he just lean in and kiss her? Did he ask her first?

Fuck, he was horrible at this.

"So just kiss her is what you're suggesting?" He hated admitting to anyone he needed help, but especially on something like this. The problem was, he needed help because he truly had no idea what he was doing.

"Well, sure, you know. I mean, you've kissed women, right?"

Severus stared at his godson.

No, there hadn't been any kissing or … feelings involved with anything he'd done in the past. It was the reason he felt completely inept currently. He knew nothing about courting or romancing a witch. He'd thought of kissing her, of course, but then thought about Cade coming into the room unexpectedly. Or picking the wrong time. Or … well any number of things he realized were excuses. Valid as he deemed them.

And, well, did he want to take that step with someone who had a small child?

That had tripped him up for at least three weeks now. Every time he'd come up with an argument against walking away or at best only maintaining what friendship they'd established. Well, then he thought of the fact she'd taken this child in willingly. She was spending time with him despite his past, despite his overenthusiastic strictness as her professor. Despite mocking her. She was evidently willing to look past all that.

She hadn't once said she wouldn't ever see Draco. She, in fact, asked after his godson. And if they put the title of dating or courtship to this relationship, it would be inevitable that he'd introduce the two.

And here he was getting tripped up over a child.

A child who had done nothing wrong.

A child she clearly loved and was willing to allow him to be a part of his life despite what she knew of his upbringing.

It was … overwhelming.

And just who the bloody hell did the Ministry of Magic think they were making people adopt children?

Were the Weasley's required to do so since they'd lost Fred and most of their children were out of the house? (Probably they all were by this point.)

He'd thought the gossip he'd heard about marriage laws was bad, but at least that could be … managed. Separate homes, separate bedrooms, or whatever. A child, though, there was no getting around that commitment.

"Or maybe you haven't," Draco interjected, bringing him out of his thoughts about the Ministry. "Okay then. Um, well, start there, I guess. See if she kisses you back. And how she kisses you back. If she wipes her mouth with the back of her hand immediately, that's a pretty good sign she's not receptive."

"You don't say," Severus drawled. Even he could figure out that was not a good thing.

"I haven't had it happen to me personally, but I've heard tell."

Severus rolled his eyes. Of course he hadn't. 

"So, are you going to go? That's a big deal, though, Severus, not even realizing what day it was tomorrow."

"I'm aware."

"Do you think this woman is part of that?"

"I do," he admitted.

For the first time since he was eleven years old he found himself looking forward to something not toward the past. It was an odd feeling.

They'd talked quite regularly on the telephone as his home was not connected to the floo network and he had no desire to change that. With Draco's ever rotating guest list that wouldn't be prudent. Sometimes it was just a brief conversation to say hello and ask about their respective days. Sometimes they talked for an hour, or longer in a couple instances.

"How old is the child?"

"Three and a half. I am told, repeatedly, the half is quite important to recognize."

Draco laughed at that.

"By them or the mother?"

"Both," he drawled.

"So the question becomes, Godfather. Do you want to spend Halloween with this woman and her child?"

Severus sighed deeply.

That was the crux of it.

He very much did want to, but he was … afraid. Afraid that it would be tomorrow and he'd get there and the past, those memories, would rise up and put him in a foul mood and he'd be unkind to this witch he was doing something with. Friendship, certainly. He'd found over the past few weeks he hoped for more.

Courtship.

Cade scared the crap out of him.

A ready-made family.

A son.

He knew nothing about being a father.

And no mistake about it. If he pursued Hermione to the end he was thinking - marriage - he would take on the role of father as there was no father currently. There was no ex-husband or anything. There was just Hermione, who seemed to be doing (not unexpectedly) an outstanding job with the boy.

"You know how not to be a father at any rate," Draco murmured.

Severus stared at him.

"What? It doesn't take a genius to realize that part of your hesitation is what kind of a father figure you'd be for her child. You said she's a single parent, you haven't mentioned an ex-husband or the child's father so I presume he's not in the picture. You don't think I wonder that same thing. Why do you think I came with you? I didn't want to be Lucius Malfoy's son anymore."

"You are not looking to court and potentially marry anyone, Draco."

"Of course not. I'm twenty-one years old and have time to figure myself out before I settle for that stuff."

"Whereas I at forty-one do not have as much time."

"Well, you said it, I didn't."

Draco set a hand over his wrist. Grey-silver eyes so like his father's met his evenly. It was the most serious look he'd seen on his godson's face in years.

"Godfather. Go. Spend Halloween with this woman who has seemingly captured your attentions. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day that happened. I even brought some women home older than me just to see if they'd catch your fancy."

Now that he mentioned that, Severus had noticed a few women here and there had not been in line with Draco's usual tastes. He hadn't realized that was what his godson was attempting to do. As if he would do that.

It was up to him to set an example for this wizard now, wasn't it? So, he couldn't be engaging in casual sex. Yes, he allowed Draco to partake in it because he was an adult so there was little he could really do to stop him. He could kick him out, sure but that wouldn't do what Severus hoped to do with his godson. Guide him to the right path. One where he was successful and happy. Whole and accepting. His parents weren't here to do it, so it fell to him. He took on that commitment. Agreed to shoulder that responsibility. He was hoping one day, soon, Draco would realize that how he'd been living wasn't what he wanted from life.

"I'm not a monk nor a eunuch. I've just been unavoidably busy and preoccupied during your existence to worry about affairs of the heart."

"If you find yourself thinking things you shouldn't, leave. Tell her you have to go, that you remembered a report you have to turn in Thursday morning first thing or something so that it doesn't sound as if you're bailing on her. And it's a weeknight. I presume she works, so it's not as if she's going to expect you to be out with her until two in the morning at the clubs I go to."

"No," he said, scoffing a bit.

He tried to envision Hermione at the club Severus knew Draco frequented that hosted bondage nights on occasion, and he just couldn't fathom it. He'd gone a couple of times himself, just to see exactly what it was his godson was doing.

Twisted and maybe not all that healthy considering his upbringing, but he wasn't doing anything illegal. The club carded everyone that came in and ensured they knew what they were going into.

He sighed heavily and stood from the sofa, dislodging Draco's hand at his wrist.

"Thank you," he murmured, walking to his office where his phone was. He had another one in the living room, but this was his business line and more private. Draco used the personal house phone on occasion. Making this call was a big enough step, he didn't need Draco knowing who it was they'd just been discussing. At least not yet.

He sat at his desk, picking up the phone and dialing her number. It was odd to him that she worked in the magical world but lived in the muggle world to where she had a telephone.

‘Hello.'

"Hi, it's Severus."

‘Hey.'

"How was your day?"

‘It was okay. No one lost their lives on my watch at any rate.'

"That is good, yes?"

‘It is. How about you?'

"Well, I finished one job and will spend tomorrow preparing for the next job."

‘I see.'

"What time were you going to take Cade trick or treating?"

‘Probably around six o'clock.'

"All right. I will see you shortly before then, yes?"

‘That'd be fine.'

He cleared his throat softly. "Can I bring anything?"

‘Just yourself.'

He smiled at the response. He couldn't have stopped himself from doing so even if he tried. Her words truly warmed him. "I can do that easily enough."

‘Well, perfect then.'

"Is Cade sleeping already?"

‘Not quite, almost.'

"Well, I hope he goes to sleep easily." Severus knew she mentioned he liked to push his bedtime some evenings.

‘Me, too. He'll be difficult to get to sleep tomorrow I'm pretty sure.'

"I expect you are right."

‘Okay. Well, we will see you tomorrow?'

"I am looking forward to it."

‘I am, too.'

"Good night then," he said, disconnecting after she returned the closing sentiment with her own.

He hung up and looked up, seeing Draco in the doorway with his shoulder resting against the frame.

"Good," he said. "And really, Severus, kiss the woman already. The kid is three and a half not ten to where he'd be bothered by a kiss. He probably won't even notice. And you're not going to shove your tongue down her throat. So just do it."

So much for privacy! Of course he hadn't closed the door either. He just hadn't anticipated Draco following him.



It was about half past five when he apparated to the spot in her backyard she'd shown him where he could come and go from the first Saturday they spent time together. That had to be a sign she was receptive to his calling on her?

Dates?

Were they dates?

He still wasn't certain.

He thought they were dates. Dates with a preschooler along. Dates nonetheless.

As he'd never until the past six weeks had one date, not real ones anyway, he didn't care Master Cade was along.

He knocked on her backdoor, and she opened a minute or so later.

"Hi," she said, smiling and he thought she looked rather fetching in her obvious attempt at a muggle interpretation of a witch costume. "You didn't dress up?"

"I wasn't aware I was supposed to."

"Well," she said, squinting as she regarded him.

"What's that look for?"

"Do you still have your robes?"

"I do."

"Go get them and come back. You can apparate into my house."

"Are you sure?"

"I wouldn't have offered it if I wasn't sure, Severus."

"Very well. I will return shortly then."

"Perfect. I was just putting the finishing touches on Cade's costume anyway."

"All right."

He left then with a shake of his head to fetch his robes as she asked, returning a bit later.

"He's in nothing but a nightshirt," he observed when he saw Cade run into the living room clearly excited.

His face, though was charmed to change between a human and a cat face. It was subtle that she could probably get away with it appearing to be makeup, a trick of the light.

"He has sweatpants on underneath it," she said, waving her hand so the hem of his ankle length puritan style white cotton nightshirt lifted up.

"What is he?"

She rolled her eyes. "Thackery Binx from Hocus Pocus , it's a movie. He's actually a cat for all but about two seconds, thus his face but Cade wanted to be Binx."

"And you are a witch."

"Yes, and with your robes and this hat," she said, gesturing to a hat he assumed she'd transfigured into an old-fashioned Puritan hat. That assumption was based on the fact he doubted very likely she had a hat like this just sitting around her house.

"I see what you're doing here."

"Are you going to ruin my plan? I thought it'd be cute? The Puritan man, a witch, and a boy."

"I'll play along," he arched a brow as he regarded her. "For a price."

Her face fell a bit at that and he had a brief moment of panic until he realized he was not proficient at flirtation and she probably thought he was serious. That it would cost her something for him to go along with her idea. Did she not realize he was pretty sure he'd do whatever she asked?

"Master Cade, will you retire to your room for a moment."

"But trick or treat."

"We will trick or treat. I just need to tell your mother something."

Severus thought for a moment the boy was going to cry, but he seemed to rethink doing so. As if afraid crying would result in him definitely not getting to go trick or treating.

"I promise we will trick or treat."

He ran off to his room. Stomped was a more appropriate term, but he left them alone as requested at any rate.

"If you don't want to wear the robes, I just thought," she shrugged. "I'm sorry. You must think it's awfully silly and I didn't tell you to wear a costume. We can just scrap this whole thing. I'll take him and we can see you over the weekend."

She was nervous. Uncertain. He didn't like that he was responsible for her feeling that way.

"Have I said no?"

"Well, no but you said for a price."

"Are you not even going to ask what my price might be?"

"I thought you were being sarcastic."

"So you thought I would lie to, or in front of, your child?"

"Well, no, I suppose," she murmured.

He closed the distance between them, sliding a finger under her chin. She lifted her face a bit, looking him in the eye. He saw a few tears glittering there so she was upset. He wished to wipe the uncertainty he saw there away. He hadn't intended on upsetting her.

He really was pathetic at this.

"This is my price, Hermione," he murmured before settling his lips over hers.

She gasped, clearly surprised, but she didn't draw away or move as if she was going to slap him. He drew away slightly after a moment and she reached for him, claiming his mouth with hers this time. It was his turn to gasp.

He had not expected that.

He slid his finger under her chin along her jaw and finally cupped her cheek, tilting her face up a bit.

No tongues. No deepening, just a joining of their lips as if they wanted to get this down right before anything else. He drew away finally, his pinky finger grazing the edge of her ear under her hair.

"Now I will wear your ridiculous hat," he murmured.

She beamed at him. Oh, he was surely in trouble because he realized he would wear a dozen ridiculous hats to put that look on her face every day for the rest of their lives

 "Thank you."

He cleared his throat softly. "Was that an acceptable price to claim?"

"Are you going to claim it again?"

He thought he detected interest in her voice, but couldn't be sure. It certainly sounded … flirtatious, not angry.

"You would like me to?"

"I would be open to future payments in kind, yes."

He huffed a sigh of relief.

She tilted her head to the side a bit, regarding him.

"That surprises you?"

"Shockingly, I am not overly experienced in such things to know about receptiveness, or if the past six weeks is a reflection you would be open to such an advance."

"Oh, well, if it means anything I was hoping you would after you willingly went to the park with us and pushed him on the swing. I thought you were going to after the baseball game. And then you didn't," she shrugged.

The time at the park was their second weekend of spending time together. There was a park near the zoo that Cade had spotted when they were walking back to their car and he'd wanted to play for a while.

"You said nothing."

"Well, I'm not going to force myself on you, Severus."

He could admit five weeks ago he wasn't sure he was ready to be kissed by her. He nodded a bit, dropping his hand to his side.

"That is certainly something we can explore when Cade is asleep."

"I'm not expecting him to go easily tonight. Sugar rush, no matter how many pieces I limit him to."

He smirked at that a bit.

"Well then, you'll just have to walk me out to the backyard."

"I look forward to it."

"You can thank Draco for the idea."

"Draco?"

"He suggested that if you wiped your mouth with your hand after we'd finished that was not a good sign."

She gave a soft laugh at that. "He's not wrong. I have done that," she said with a nod.

"Dare I ask with whom?"

"No one you know, and if you did I wouldn't tell you," she said softly.

"Mm."

"I was twelve, home for the summer and curious, I guess." She got a blush on her cheeks that was endearing. He wasn't threatened by someone she'd kissed close to ten years ago.

"Well, that I am an improvement over what you experienced at twelve relieves me to no end."

"It should," she said. "It's a very high bar to be compared to."

"Master Cade?" he called out. "Are you ready to go trick or treating?"

He came running out of his room, Severus took the hat Hermione had transfigured for him. He had to admit with the boy's costume and hers, it was … fitting. And clever. Wearing it would make them look as if they planned their costumes together.

Like a family.

Did he want that?

He glanced at the boy.

Cade.

Kissing her was staking his claim, his interest in her. If he did this, went with them in a costume he would be doing that with them. People would see them together. Her neighbours. People she knew and Cade would go to school with eventually.

Did he want that?

He glanced at the two of them, her son gripping her hand tightly. It wasn't tight from fear or apprehension, though. He was excited and wanted to go. Now. Looking down to the hat, running a fingertip along the brim.

"If you would rather stay here and wait for us, we'll probably be an hour. Ninety minutes maybe. We're just going around the block really. It's only like fifty degrees out, which I realize sounds much better than the ten degrees it'd be back home with the conversion. So, um, anyway…"

He set the hat on top of his head with a sigh. She was giving him an out. He realized Cade still wasn't sure what to think of this man who saw them once a week. He warmed up to him somewhat, but was still rather shy. Severus couldn't blame him. He wouldn't want to warm up to him either.

"You're sure?" she said.

"Let us go see the other costumes."

"Have you ever dressed up for Halloween?"

"No," he said simply.

"Not even as a boy?"

"No." Not to say he hadn't wanted to. It just hadn't happened.

"Mm, well, then I'm lucky to be the first to see it."

"Or something," he murmured.

"When was the last time you were around sugar-high hyperactive children?"

"You know the answer to that." Those children were obviously older than Cade, so it would be interesting.

"Okay then. This should be quite the experience. No hexing," she cautioned with a wink.

"I will do my best to refrain."

"Excellent. It's all in fun."

"One question, Miss Granger," he said.

She frowned a bit at that. "Go ahead," she said, sounding cautious.

"Will you be my witch?"

She smiled then and laughed. "I think you are blending two holidays together, Severus, but yes."

"No, I am not. As I told Draco this was the first Halloween in twenty years that … crept up on me. That I wasn't dreading, remembering. You and Master Cade have helped with that immensely. I would like to continue to look to the future, not my past. Until the past six weeks I've been existing, not living. Being respected in my profession is nice, but I only just recently realized it's not enough. I want to live. With you. If you will have me."

She offered him her hand, which he took and she squeezed his lightly.

"Is that supposed to be your answer?"

"Yes," she whispered. "I already answered your first question, but to answer both questions." She reached up then, busing him on the lips. "Happy Halloween, Severus."

"Same to you, my witch."

"This doesn't mean I'm going to possibly be related to Draco Malfoy at all, does it?"

"No, not in this case as I am not his blood relative."

"Excellent."

"Would that have changed your answer?"

She looked serious, and he wondered if it would have. Then she smiled. "Not a chance."

He glanced at Cade briefly who was very obviously waiting by the door for the adults to decide they really were leaving. He kissed her again lightly. The boy didn't seem to even really notice let alone care about the gesture.

"Good," he said simply. "Now, let's go be around throngs of people to top this night off."

She snorted softly but walked with him to the door that would take them out to the other neighbourhood trick or treaters.

~The End~

Return to Top

Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com