***Chapter Six***

"You actually do use that thing," Draco said in surprise when Severus' cell phone rang.

Severus scoffed with a roll of his eyes. His godson would be surprised because he did not get personal calls. His sarcasm, though, struck a chord. Draco had friends. None of them were people Draco could count on based on Severus' impression. He was coming to realize, though, that wasn't important to everyone. Severus, in comparison, had Draco and a witch. That was it.

"I do. It's not glued to my ear, but yes."

He recognized the number so pushed SEND to connect the call to stop Draco from saying anything further. He didn't need to hear his godson's advice. He never offered any suggestions Severus found worthwhile.

"Hello," he said.

'Hi. Is this a bad time?'

"No, why?"

'Oh, it just rang a few times so I wasn't sure.'

"No, my roommate was just surprised to hear it ring at this time and commented on it."

'Oh, I see.'

Hermione grew quiet then, and he wondered if he should not have brought Draco up. He had to this point not told his godson he'd run into this witch. More than run into her now. He'd been out with her and her son twice. Maybe a reminder that he was not just in touch with, but aiding, the wizard who'd disparaged her probably more than any other wasn't a wise course of action. He wanted her to want to spend more time with him.

"How was your day?"

She sighed. 'It was okay.'

"Just okay?"

'Oh, yes. Nothing bad really. Do you remember that cop you intervened with a couple weeks ago? Ben?'

"I do." Of course he did!

'I ran into him again today. I don't see him often, but when I do he's just." She sighed heavily enough that he heard her through the phone. "He just refuses to take no for an answer. He didn't get handsy again or anything, but he just won't give up!'

"Maybe someone should have a talk with his wife," he said, standing from the sofa to retire to his bedroom since it became apparent Draco wasn't leaving. Whether he was curious or just being obtuse, Severus was not certain. Probably a bit of both. Severus did not use his mobile telephone for personal use. The only person Draco was aware of him being personal with was, well, Draco, who was sitting right here.

'I'm not sure that will help me.'

"I suppose not," he said. He realized that, no, that likely wouldn't help her case. The cop would possibly think Hermione told the wife. If he had a violent streak that could end badly for her, capable of defending herself or not. It could also end badly for the wife.

'Add onto that, things are still very weird. I'm sure you notice it as much as I do. People are looking at anything suspiciously and calling it in so I've had telephone and face to face meetings with my muggle contacts every day it seems. I've talked to more squibs and muggleborns in the past week or so than I have in probably ten years.'

"I have noticed, yes. It has made it a little more difficult to do my job lately."

'Oh, I suppose, people report seeing something they two weeks ago wouldn't have thought twice of seeing.'

"Yes, exactly. And people are noticing a strange vehicle being in the same or a nearby spot for hours where they might not have otherwise."

'What do you do?'

"Try to move more. One day I put a charm so the car wouldn't be so obvious. Not a Notice-Me-Not, I can't risk getting hit."

'Of course not.'

"So, it's a spell I created years ago that sort of has people passing over objects, seeing them but not really noticing them if that makes sense."

'It does. Yes. I'd love to see it one day. You said only one day, has it not worked?'

"No, it did, but other days the claimants I've been doing surveillance on have been active. I cannot have that spell in place when the vehicle is moving. I want others on the road to notice me when I'm moving for the same reason I don't want an actual Notice-Me-Not on my vehicle when it's stationary. So, it's only been the one day that I've been sitting in place for a long period of time."

'Oh, that makes sense, yeah. I see. Anyway, I really am sorry if I caught you at a bad time. Cade is watching a movie and being somewhat quiet so I just thought I'd do a non-mum thing and call.'

He drew the phone away from his ear for a moment, swallowing hard. She thought she was bothering him.

"I'm glad that you did," he said, hoping that was sufficient to dispel any thoughts of him feeling bothered or as if he didn't want to talk to this witch.

'Really?'

"I am," he said.

He had not picked up the phone to call her yet. He didn't want to look desperate or pushy. Two outings did not a relationship make. He still wasn't even sure if either of the outings were dates.

'I wasn't sure.'

"You are welcome to call anytime. I know your evenings are a bit more … hectic than mine so have not wanted to intrude or call at a bad time."

'Oh, well, you can call anytime. If I don't answer I either can't or don't hear it. How was your day?'

"It was okay. I spent eight hours sitting in my vehicle, waiting for an eighty-two year old woman to come out of her house. She never did."

'Does that happen a lot?'

"It can. You never know. Some of the claimants are legitimately injured."

'This eight-two year old woman?'

"Part of an ongoing case, long story. I don't even understand all of it. The clients just tell me who to try to get footage of."

'I understand.'

"So, the last time you called, it led to a day at the zoo."

'You caught me.'

"Oh? So it wasn't just to say hello?"

'No, it was, but while I was calling. I told you that everyone assumes I'm married.'

"Yes," he said. "I admit I was surprised to find you are not."

"Why?"

"Was there not a marriage law?"

"No, not that I know of. Unless one passed recently. I think there was talk of one after the war, but Kingsley was able push past it. He cited you, actually."

"Me?"

"Yes, He said that all a marriage law was going to do was make witches and wizards flee and go elsewhere, taking their abilities and talents with them."

"Huh," he said. He truly had no idea. He supposed maybe he should have picked up a Daily Prophet over he past three years. He was pleased that Kingsley had grown a backbone and stood up to those calling for such a thing. Would he have returned if he'd known? He wasn't sure. He thought both he and Draco were better for being away from things. At least for now.

'So, I was offered tickets to a baseball game by someone at work. It's supposed to be nice again Saturday. Would you like to go with us?'

He did, absolutely. He was curious, though. She'd gotten tickets to the art museum he thought he recalled her saying. He hadn't priced the tickets out, but he knew from his times having to pay to get in when on a job they weren't cheap.

"Where do these tickets come from?"

'Well, I think I mentioned the Art Institute tickets came from an authenticator I'd met with. I mentioned Cade would like the model car display they had and she gave me three tickets. These, a sort of friend from work has season tickets with her muggle husband, and they can't go. They have one child, thus three tickets. They thought Cade and my husband or one of Cade's friends might like to go. I know one other child through a friend from work, but I wouldn't invite just her son.'

"I see," he said. It made sense. He wondered how many people truly thought she was married. He supposed it was a logical assumption. "What time is the game?"

'A little after one o'clock.'

"As I have nothing on my schedule, I think that would be acceptable. I didn't think you liked sports?" He wasn't wrong in remembering her lack of enthusiasm for quidditch irritated both Potter and Weasley at times. It likely, though, was the reason for Viktor Krum's interest in her the year of the TriWizard Tournament. The wizard probably had never encountered someone who didn't know and want something from him. It must have been refreshing.

'I don't particularly, but it's a baseball game and, well, boys like baseball I'm told. I suppose girls do, too, but I don't have a girl so haven't paid much attention. I figure it's America's pastime, I'm living in America now.'

"See what the hype is?"

'Something like that.'

"I have one condition to accepting."

'Okay.'

"Dinner is on me this time.'

'You didn't like my spaghetti?'

"Your spaghetti was more than passable. Pizza was your idea. Spaghetti was your doing. Please allow me to shoulder some responsibility in this outing."

'Oh, I see. Sure.'

"Then I accept. What time do we need to leave your house?"

'Um, I wish I knew where we could apparate, it'd be a lot easier than dealing with parking and traffic.'

Ah, this he might be able to help her with. He'd felt kind of clueless with the zoo as he'd never had occasion to go or even be near it. He had been close on a surveillance once, but he hadn't realized it until they were leaving as he'd approached the neighbourhood from a different way.

"Is it the Cubs we're going to?"

'It is.'

"I am familiar with the neighbourhood from some surveillance I have done over the years."

'Oh! You've been to a game?'

"No, just the area. I am aware of a few places we could apparate to if that's your chosen method of transportation."

'All three of us?'

"I can certainly accomplish that so long as you are both comfortable with it."

'Yes.'

"All right. So time?"

'Um? Around twelve then?'

"That will work."

'Okay, see you then. Good night, Severus.'

"Good night." He refrained from saying her name, not sure Draco wasn't eavesdropping.

He returned to the living room and Draco wasn't in there, but that didn't mean the younger wizard hadn't been lurking. He wasn't ashamed or anything. No, nothing like that, but his past … experience with a witch was very public knowledge. Potter had ensured not all of his memories had been shared, but rumours spread nonetheless about his relationship with Lily.

He still wasn't sure what he and this witch were even doing. He could ask her, but he didn't want to appear pushy. Or pathetic enough to think a few outings constituted the beginnings of a possible courtship. He wasn't averse to that idea at all. If only he could be certain she was of the same mindset.

He just didn't want to make a fool of himself in the process.

"No hat," Cade said, putting his hands on top of his head in an obvious attempt to get her to leave the hat off. Hermione was trying to get him ready to go. Severus would be at their house any minute.

"You have to wear a hat, Cade. It might get windy. You don't want to get an ear infection. Those hurt!"

"Fine," he said. He let his hands down then, allowing Hermione to slide the hat onto his head. She kissed his forehead once she'd accomplished it.

"Thank you. Are you excited to see a baseball game?"

"Yes!"

"Good. Mummy hears they are very fun. When we get home you'll have to draw a picture for Mrs. McCambridge as a thank you for giving us the tickets. It was very generous of her to think we'd enjoy a day at the game. So, you're dressed, let's take your shoes downstairs. Mr. Snape will be here soon. He's going to apparate us to the game. Remember what that means?"

"Yes," he said. He waved his hands and said "poof". She'd apparated with him a few times so he was familiar with it. She just wasn't sure at this age what he actually remembered.

"Yes," she said with a laugh. She could see where he came up with that being a description of apparition. "Sort of like poof. Good. It'll be fun!"

They made their way downstairs. It was a brownstone house in a very old neighbourhood. The immediate area was occupied mostly by magicals, but they lived among muggles. So no fidelius charms or anything. She kind of liked it, she didn't feel so segregated. She had thought that was important being in an entirely new city and country. Others weren't as fond of it.

Most importantly, her parents who helped her buy the house could come and go from the area without an issue when they visited. She'd thought more than once about renting the finished basement apartment, but it stood empty and magically sealed off for now. She was making ends meet without a tenant.

If the British Ministry went back on their promised financial assistance for Cade she'd rethink that option, but for now they were okay really with just her salary. Cade being out of nappies sure helped with expenses going down. Now she just had to worry about him outgrowing everything so quickly.

She kind of hoped the apartment downstairs would be something her parents might use whenever they did decide to retire. It had its own entrance so it would really be like their own place. Not forever, but that they could come here and stay with her while they settled in and (hopefully) decided to stay in the area. If they settled away from the Chicago area, they could use it for visits.

She got a jacket out of the closet for Cade, sliding his arms into it one sleeve at a time before he sat on the floor so she could put his shoes on for him.

A knock came to the backdoor just as she'd finished tying his second shoe.

"Just in time. Mr. Snape is here."

She took one last look to ensure he was ready to go. She knew she had everything in her bag she would need. She always replaced anything she took out of it as soon as she got home. Again, no nappy changes were truly a blessing these days. Assured they were both ready, she led him to the backdoor. 

"Hi!"

"Hello," he said.

"You are looking particularly muggle today," she said, taking him in.

Until today, the times she'd seen him he had worn muggle clothes but trousers and button up shirts. Today it was black denims, a T-shirt that said something she couldn't see because it was covered by a flannel. Over that he had a leather jacket on.

"I haven't worn robes in over three years."

"Oh, I wasn't criticizing. You've just always been sort of … business casual until now."

"Is this not appropriate?"

"Severus," she said, setting her hand against his wrist. She hadn't meant to make it sound as if he wasn't dressed right. She liked it! That had to be an indication he was comfortable around her. She liked that idea a lot. How many people could say they'd seen Severus Snape in a leather jacket? Or a T-shirt? She didn't think there were very many. "It's more than appropriate. It's a baseball game. I was just surprised. May I see the T-shirt?"

He smirked then, parting the flannel shirt a bit so that she could see the recognizable Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon logo. She liked the idea of having listened to an album he obviously liked well enough to buy a T-shirt for it. Granted, it was her dad's album, but she'd still heard and liked it.

"Did you own that album?"

"I did," he said. "I had recently finished my second year the first time I heard it at a friend's house."

"At home?"

"Yes, a muggle neighbour I'd gone to primary school with. We weren't best friends or anything, but had similar tastes in music. He invited me over to hear it when he saw I was home again. I've often wondered how he bought the whole boarding school story. He knew my parents couldn't afford such a thing."

"Well, if he was your age he probably just didn't know better until later. And even if he did wonder, he probably just assumed your parents were the type that put you ahead of them."

He scoffed. She knew that wasn't what had happened, and she felt bad mentioning it like that at all.

"Yes, well, I'm just saying. You asked how he bought that."

"You are probably right. I just wonder how that works. I've never encountered it from the parents' perspective. It makes me realize why so many children are privately schooled prior to Hogwarts because there was no way someone wouldn't notice families like the Weasleys sending all seven of their children away."

"Right. I know Pispy and I are both working with Cade. She seems quite capable for this age bracket. I'm not sure about when he gets to the age he'd actually go to school."

"That's good. I have noticed he does not seem to be behind or anything."

"You thought he would be?"

"Not any reflection on you, no. However, he was alone for weeks if not months you said prior to your adopting him. There were likely quite a few children if the Ministry was asking people to adopt. There would only be so many people to take care of the children. I gather that he was rather young, so I wouldn't think there'd be repercussions. However, I do not know what affects being left alone, cared for magically for all but the essential need of feeding. If they did that given his parentage."

"You don't think they even fed him?" She had never thought that was an option. He'd definitely seemed lonely the day she saw him, but not underfed or anything.

"Magically, of course, they had to have. He'd have starved to death otherwise. There are spells that require little hands-on for most of childcare, even nappie changing."

"Oh, I never would have…"

"I didn't think you would and again, no reflection on you. I do not mean to upset you or make you think I'm accusing you of any wrongdoing, Hermione. I'm not at all. I am a curious person by nature so I observed from an objective standpoint a child who I knew with relative certainty had gotten little physical attention his first few months of life to see if there were differences I could see in, say how I knew Draco was at this age."

"I get it." She did. She offered him a smile, too, to let him know she wasn't mad or insulted. She just hadn't even thought of that!

"Are you both ready then?"

"We are," she said, waving Cade over to them.

"All right, Cade," she said, stooping to pick him up and gather him close to her.

"Has he apparated before?"

"With me, yes," she said, closing the backdoor behind her and ensuring it was secure.

"I wasn't implying he did it himself," he said, smirking.

"Fine," she said, rolling her eyes as she faced him again. "Of course you weren't. I just meant only with me. No one else."

"All right," he said with a nod.

He closed the distance between them. She watched him until he stepped behind her. She was expecting it, but her breath still caught a beat when he gripped her waist.

"Hang onto your mother. Do not let go. I'm sure she's told you that before, because she would not want you to get hurt. She is not the one doing the magic this time, I am, and my magic feels different than your mother's. You might find that uncomfortable. So it's especially important you hang on. You may want to close your eyes now, Master Cade."

Her son nodded in her arms, taking a deep breath as he hung onto her neck and did just as Severus suggested. Interesting. He wasn't so quick to take Hermione's advice!

And just like that they were in a different area of Chicago. She found the feeling of apparition much less disorienting than she used to, but still wasn't entirely accustomed to it (thus choosing to drive). She'd also never apparated with anyone other than Harry and Ronald. In those instances, she'd been the one doing the apparating. Here she was just along for the ride in a manner of speaking just as Cade was.

It took her a minute to get her wits about her. She felt … tingly all over and she wasn't sure what that was about. She'd never in the ten years she'd been doing magic felt anything like it. Cade for his part seemed unaffected and slid down to stand on the ground in front of her. It felt like an adrenaline rush, but none she'd experienced before. If she could see them, she was confident the hair on her arms would be standing at attention and she'd be covered with goosebumps.

She turned in his arms, holding Cade's hand tightly. She had to ask and hoped he didn't laugh at her.

"Is that you?" she asked softly.

She noticed others were apparating to the area too. They were clearly not the only magical people going to the baseball game today. Interesting. She was glad to see that other magicals enjoyed doing muggle things! Sometimes she felt like the only one who did.

"Is what me?"

"I don't know. That feeling…"

She knew she was blushing then, and he for his part was looking not necessarily amused but incredibly … proud of himself.

Hmm.

Was it him? And if so, was he doing it on purpose?

He hadn't dropped his arms from being around her either, and she suddenly felt herself tingly but for very different reasons. And wondering what it might be like to have his arms around her for reasons other than apparition.

"It's very possible you are feeling the residuals of my magic. Is that what you mean?"

"I don't know. I've never felt anything like it before."

"Well, when we return home you can tell me if you feel it again. If it's unsettling I imagine you can get you and Cade home yourself. You know where your home is."

Oh no, she definitely wanted him to do it again. She wondered if it would happen again..

"I didn't say it was unsettling. Just unusual."

"So you will let me do it again?"

"Yes," she said quickly. She blushed deeper and nodded. She absolutely wanted to feel that again. "I would very much like to see if it happens again."

His soft scoff told her he expected that answer out of her.

She meant it, too. If that was what his magic being used in close proximity to her felt like. Well, she would let him apparate her everywhere.

And probably do a lot of other things with her everywhere, too.

Severus released her, which she found herself more than a little … bothered by. Not that they could walk with his arms around her. It was comforting, though.

Safe.

She knew that he wouldn't let anything happen to her or Cade.

Not that she needed a wizard, or any man, to keep her and Cade safe. And she did feel safe here overall. Chicago had its share of violence, but their neighbourhood and the area she worked weren't as concerning as other areas were.

However, there was power in numbers, and having someone as powerful as Severus watch her back (and very possibly her front if that tingliness was any indication of what things might be like) wasn't an offensive thought.

She shifted Cade from where he'd been practically wrapping himself around her legs and lifted him up once again. He was at the age where he couldn't decide if he wanted to walk or be carried. She took him into her arms as they made their way in the direction of Wrigley Field. He was really getting too big to be carried everywhere, but it was the best way to be able to keep track of him.

And judging by the crowd of people in the area today, that would be very necessary.

It was busy everywhere as they made the way in the direction of Wrigley Field.

Many people were obviously going to the game as they were. Many, though, did not seem to be there to go to the game but rather just to hang out in the area. They were at bars or restaurants along their walk talking and whatnot. There were people in the streets. Activity everywhere. Street musicians playing. People tossing Frisbees around. Some were dressed in Cubs attire, some in Astros attire (she had no idea what an Astro was supposed to be) who it seemed was the team the Cubs were playing today. She really didn't understand the love of sports that so many people seemed to have. It was somewhat fun to be a part of, though, and it was a gorgeous day.

"You've been here, you said?"

"To the area, yes."

"Is it always like this?"

"I haven't always been here on the days of games, but yes in my experience when there is a home game it is."

"It's kind of … neat. I can kind of understand the appeal."

She wasn't going to rush out and become a sports enthusiast, but her parents hadn't taken her to sporting events. So she hadn't experienced this type of thing until now. The only time she'd been to a quidditch match outside of the ones at Hogwarts. Well, that hadn't been a great time so it had left a rather bitter taste as far as she was concerned. Wrong to judge based on one bad experience when their world was on the brink of war.

There were newborn babies and those advanced in their senior citizen years. There were gruff looking motorcycle people to professionals. No one seemed to care that the person standing next to them might not be someone they'd talk to normally. For a few hours they were here to share their mutual affection for a sporting team, or a sport she supposed as she saw two people in opposing team shirts talking.

"It is rather fascinating. You should observe the tailgating they do before American football games."

"Oh?"

"I suppose likely they do it for baseball, too. I've had no reason to find out. I had to follow someone who went to two games and tailgated. It was interesting."

"Hmm, well, now I want to go. What's their team called?"

"Um, the Bears I believe," he paused as if thinking about it and then nodded. "Yes, I'm sure of it. The Art Institute lions were sporting their helmets when we were there."

She nodded, remembering that now that he mentioned it. "Cubs and Bears? How original."

He chuckled, settling a hand at her lower back as they made their way through the entrance area after presenting their tickets. There was that tingle again. Damn him. Did he know what he was doing to her?

"I have heard you must get hot dogs, peanuts, and Cracker Jack while here," he murmured against her ear. In essence, it was her and Cade's ear as he was on the same side as Cade was.

"You have?"

"There is a song they sing," he said with a shrug. Would she hear it today?

"A hot dog does sound kind of good," she admitted.

She had to set Cade down so that they could carry the hot dogs and drinks they bought. Severus said he'd go back and get peanuts and Cracker Jack (which it turned out was caramelized popcorn and shelled peanuts mixed together). They found their seats, settling in. How they lucked out last weekend with the zoo and this weekend with the baseball game weather-wise - it was relatively warm again - was beyond her. There was no rain in sight either.

She was kind of looking forward to this, truthfully. The crowd outside and the … festive feeling of the others around them was contagious it seemed. And since she didn't really care who won she expected it to be a fun day.

She was just here because it was something fun to do with her son, and the tickets had been given to her. She could watch people and enjoy a nice day with someone she found she was growing rather fond of.

It certainly wasn't something she'd normally spend money on. Judging by Cade's reaction, though, she might just have a baseball fan on her hands. He was fascinated. Severus seemed rather taken by the game, too, Hermione observed.

Interesting.

"Did you go to quidditch matches outside of Hogwarts?"

"I have, yes. Not here in America yet. Draco would enjoy it I'm sure, but we just haven't. I should say I haven't, I guess I cannot say for certain my godson has not. He doesn't check in with me, and I've told him as long as he's doing nothing illegal he's free to do as he pleases. I'm assuming he has not as he prefers to keep a low profile as I do at the moment. I'm not sure I want to do something so … public as my return."

"I can understand that."

America or not, if he was seen it would be newsworthy. And the peace and anonymity he valued so much (probably most especially post-war) and currently had, would be destroyed.

"This was a more than passable way to spend my afternoon," Severus said once the game had finished.

She eyed him for a moment, looking for any exaggeration in his words. She smiled in relief that there was nothing suggesting he didn't mean it. She agreed with him. It was rather fun. "You seemed to like it almost as well as Cade."

"I would come again," he said with a slight nod.

From him that was a glowing endorsement. The Cubs likely wouldn't use him for any advertising campaigns, but those who knew him would be curious enough to see what had him saying that.

Interesting.

Was he saying he would come again with her? With them? Or just in general? There weren't many games left this year. At least that was the impression she had when Pauline offered her the tickets. They would be playing the playoffs and the … World Series soon.

"I would, too, actually," Hermione said.

She was surprised at the … sincerity and honesty in that statement. She went into it with an open mind, but really hadn't expected to find it as fun as it was.

It was enjoyable watching the game as well as the crowd. Severus was an observer of people, too, so he had to enjoy that aspect of it as well. The people in the seats around theirs answered Cade's questions enthusiastically and without disdain when it was apparent the adults he was with knew nothing about baseball.

It was clear Severus had listened to the explanations given to Cade the same as Hermione did. She sensed if they came again the questions would be repeated since most likely more than just a couple of months would have passed between games. She didn't think they would play again until May. Or maybe April. Just the same, it was months for Cade to forget what he'd learned today.

They stayed in their seats while the others around them stood in lines to leave. Cade got a little wiggly, but seemed fine waiting the crowds out with them. She'd rather he run up and down their now empty row than be possibly lost in a crowd of people.

"Do you like watching people, too?" she asked.

"It's what I do best, which was one of the reasons I was successful in my duplicity. I excel at it."

She nodded, not having thought of it that way.

"So many people think of spying as a James Bond movie non-stop. It's not. For the ten years between his departure and his first attempts at returning I was still playing a part, accumulating knowledge, and keeping contacts. I had to in order to ascertain any threats to your best friend's person, or the opposite way of people wanting to kidnap him to elevate him to Tom's status."

"Oh, I hadn't thought of that part. I mean the part of people thinking Harry would replace him."

"Oh, yes. Some believed because he'd stopped Tom that meant he was worthy of carrying on his plan. We thought of every potential angle. We had to."

She reached over, squeezing the back of his hand on the armrest between his seat and Cade's. That couldn't have been easy. For years he had to, discreetly or not, do fact finding on his friend's son and ultimately despite all he'd done to try to protect him and ensure he got to - and through - Hogwarts. Well, he'd been meant to die.

"Thank you."

"Your thanks are unnecessary. At least not again, you already said it in your note to me years ago."

He had read it!

She assumed for sure he'd throw it away as soon as he saw her handwriting on the envelope. She'd heard all of the people trying to gain forgiveness and try to claim they never doubted him. She didn't want to be that type of person. She had doubted him. If she hadn't. If they all hadn't. Well, it would have meant he and Albus had failed at ensuring there was some doubt about Severus all along. So, she'd written a note simply thanking him and wishing him a healthy life with a speedy recovery from his injuries.

"That may be, but you still deserve to hear it."

"Yes, well."

"People watching is a fun thing to do."

He nodded. She had a feeling he was agreeing about watching her right now and that thrilled her. "Something to eat now? Or did you want to return to your home and eat later?"

"What would you prefer?"

"I have no other plans so later would be more than acceptable."

"You just like watching animated muggle movies at my house," she teased. Cade seemed to like having someone new to show his movie collection to.

"You caught me."

They had watched Disney's Robin Hood and The Jungle Book the past two weeks. Severus had seemed to enjoy them almost as much as Cade did.

He'd never seen either of them, he admitted as much last weekend. Hermione, for her part, wished Cade would broaden his scope a bit. She'd tried Dumbo , Pinocchio , and The Lion King , but so far Cade remained honed in on these two particular movies. She knew them by heart at this point. Not that she disliked either film, they were both classics and she loved the music in them. It was just day after day it did get tedious.

"Did you like your first baseball game, Master Cade?" he asked, turning his attention to her son. She liked that about him. He didn't talk to Cade as if he was talking to an eleven year old student, but didn't talk to him as if he was a baby with no comprehension either. She appreciated that.

He screeched, raising his hands to his head, slapping the new Chicago Cubs baseball cap he now wore. The hat he'd worn to the game was in Hermione's bag. It was warm enough a cap as this one was was acceptable. "Baseball men!"

Hermione laughed, finding her son's enthusiasm for his first baseball game outing heartwarming. She was glad that she could give these things to him. She knew one day she'd have to introduce him more thoroughly to the magical world, but for now she enjoyed sharing these things with him because they were new to her, too.

"Yes, there were a lot of baseball men, and I think your answer to Mr. Snape's question is yes you liked the game."

They stood eventually, making their way out of Wrigley Field and back to Addison street. There was still a large crowd outside on the streets and in area restaurants and bars. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. The Chicago team had won so she imagined people would be in a good mood and drinking another beer or two in celebration of their team's victory for a while yet.

He did apparate them all back to her place, and she felt the same tingly sensation from earlier. He hadn't asked, but she suspected he knew by the rather proud look on his face. Would she feel that with anyone else? She wasn't sure she even wanted to find out. She allowed Severus to apparate them because she knew him. Trusted him. She wasn't sure she would take the chance with anyone else.

She thought for a minute when they'd gotten to her backyard that he was going to kiss her. It might have just been the afterglow of his magic surrounding her because he didn't and didn't seem to think about it again later when it was time for him to go home well after midnight. She'd walked him to the backdoor and they'd said good night but that was it.

She'd listened for the soft pop of apparition with her back against her door, having thrown the dead bolt in place for the night. She couldn't help but wonder what being kissed by Severus would feel like if just being near his magic caused the reaction in her it did.

It was kind of scary as she really hadn't had the time to pay attention to things like dating and hormones with Cade and working. Suddenly, she found she wanted to. She stepped away from the door feeling pretty sure that she hoped to find out one day if she was right in how his kiss would make her feel.

The problem in this equation was Severus.

Did he hope to, too? She didn't think he was the type of wizard who would appreciate her kissing him first. At least not three weeks into whatever this was.

Were these dates? She liked to think they were. She certainly prepared for them as if they were. Odd that Cade was along, but she'd invited him to accompany the two of them on outings. So they weren't romantic dates-she was bringing her son with as a third wheel.

Return to Top

Part 5 | Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com