***Chapter Five***
Atlanta, Georgia
June 1871

"They're not back yet. That has to be a good sign, yeah?"

Hermione asked Severus this question from across the lab. They were up late brewing. Brewing evening into the night worked best. He had subtle charms on the lab so no one would see anything magical they shouldn't. Still. He preferred brewing when it was cooler if he could, and evenings and nights were generally cooler. (Spring in Atlanta, Georgia was not nearly the same as spring in the Scottish Highlands!)

"I should think so, yes."

Neither were experts on relationships so had to rely on appearances. The appearance was that they would have come home by now if they were having a miserable time.

"So, one hurdle cleared."

"Assuming that she truly returns with child, yes."

Hermione was quiet for a moment at that. Would they even know if she was yet? No one seemed to know in the papers they'd gone through prior to coming here when she became pregnant again, only that she had a miscarriage when Rhett returned from a trip abroad. The fact was, though, she experienced a miscarriage so she was pregnant when he left for said trip.

(Hermione and Severus had discussed, briefly, the possibility that the child wasn't Rhett's but neither entertained that idea very seriously. Scarlett was a lot of things, but neither of them pictured her an actual cheat. In fact, both were quite certain the woman wouldn't have known what to actually do if Ashley Wilkes had eventually given in and said he did in fact love her.)

"You should have heard India going on and on to her sister Honey at the party. I don't think you formally met her. Honey, I mean. Obviously, you've met India."

"Your point?" he asked and she smiled wryly. She knew she was rambling and it drove him nuts when she did so. Not because he didn't like her to talk, but it was just so unlike her.

"She's the woman Charles was supposed to marry. She was just in for a night or two for the party."

"I vaguely recall her, yes. She was more … personable than her sister. Not overly fond of Scarlett either, which who can blame her. However, she doesn't seem as spiteful any longer."

"Well, of course not, I think ten years later she still thinks she stole her husband. She did, I realize. Yet, no one held a gun to Charles Hamilton's head and told him to propose to Scarlett. And Wade is evidence their marriage was consummated."

He lifted his brows, wordlessly saying obviously.

"So, what was India gossiping about that night?" Severus asked.

It was sort of amusing. Severus wasn't one to engage in gossip, but especially with as prevalent as the grapevine was here in Atlanta he certainly did enjoy hearing it. She supposed it went back to his spy days. Listening to, hearing, what others said was important. He would never know where information was going to come from.

"Well, that Scarlett and Rhett never even made it to the party."

Severus scoffed.

"And then they left two days later…"

"With their children."

"I know, but I guess they hadn't been away together since their honeymoon. And Rhett isn't in the habit of taking Wade and Ella with him."

"Mm," he said, regarding her.

"She seemed to think Scarlett abducted him or something."

"More likely used her womanly charms. Rhett Butler is no sixteen year old plantation virgin."

"You think she's charming?"

He scoffed again. "If I were here as a single male I would have no time for the likes of her. I will say that she has proven capable and has survival instincts that are admirable."

"You like her," Hermione said.

"Hermione," he said, sounding cautious.

"No, I don't mean like that."

The look he gave her was positively relieved.

"Thank you."

"But you like her."

"Well, you like her, too. You like seeing a woman pushing boundaries, owning businesses, surviving when few would have, and not afraid to tell people to shove it."

"I do," Hermione said. "I do think she could be a bit … friendlier at times. And the prisoner labor was abhorrent."

"True, but she was desperate. I'm not excusing her, you know that I am not. However, neither of us has actually starved. You came closer to it than I did. I know this, but you could have stolen food if you had to. She didn't have that option as they were all in the same position. We also didn't know her as a child or prior to the war. And you know as well as I do from our studies that the War Between the States changed people. Our wars did, too, but I think it was different." He shrugged.

"You're right," she said. "Sometimes I want to scream at India that her brother, sister-in-law, and nephew would be dead if it wasn't for Scarlett."

"Yes, and speaking as someone who grew up with nothing. I can understand why she is the way she is when it comes to things. I didn't lose everything as she did."

They'd gone out to Tara once when they had heard Scarlett's sisters were coming to Atlanta for a visit. Disillusioned, they'd taken a look at the house and property that Scarlett O'Hara was clearly so fond of. That her father had worked hard to make it the grand plantation it was before the war.

Oh, Hermione had balked and muttered expletives under her breath about slave labour for certain, but she could still appreciate what went into managing a successful plantation. And, from their research, Ellen O'Hara had been a paragon, assisting neighbours and Clayton County dwellers alike in times of need. The fact that Mammy was still with Scarlett, along with a few others that elected to stay with the O'Haras and Butlers led them to believe they'd been liked.

It was clear to see walking through the home that it had once been a grand one indeed.

"I think she's a little eccentric about it. Some of the decor in that home is bordering on atrocious. Perhaps coming to the conclusion that she is not alone in the rest of life's journey, that she will not starve or lose everything again. That Rhett isn't going to disappear. Maybe she will tone it down some."

"I hope so, too."

"So, Miss Wilkes believes Scarlett used her body to seduce her own husband into a trip abroad?"

"Mm, I'm not sure she did the night of the party, but I'm pretty sure she does now two months later."

Severus chuckled at that.

"Would you like a trip?"

"I'm sorry?" Was he suggesting that she was using sex with him to gain things? "Severus! What are you suggesting?"

"Well, it's going to stay rather warm from now until September. We seem to have accomplished part of what we came here to do. I can close up shop for a while, I would of course ensure Dr. Meade is stocked with as much as I can feasibly provide to him before we go. I thought somewhere up north that's not the nation's capital might appeal. A stop in Salem perhaps before heading somewhere in the Midwest. A train ride starting in New York headed west and we can stop where we decide to stop?"

"You're serious?"

"I am quite serious. Maybe find somewhere magical to go so that we don't have to be so careful with everything."

"Oh!"

"You like that idea. I've heard Montreal has a nice magical community. Chicago does as well. Obviously, New York. We could start in Salem and head north to Montreal."

"Can we afford such a trip?"

"We can."

"You're not just saying that?"

"I wouldn't lie to you about our finances, Hermione. Nor would I embarrass you by coming home from such a trip destitute. We are here to fit in. You have allowed me to look after the financial matters without question. I appreciate the trust you have in me, but I know you'd be as capable as I am."

"I don't. I'd like to learn, but it's not something I've had to do."

He nodded as if just now realizing that.

"I hadn't taken that into consideration. Remind me beginning with next month's bills and we will review. Fact of the matter remains, all you have to do is ask to see our balances. I'm not suggesting we leave for months. It will take me a while to brew what Dr. Meade would need in such an absence. You can make the arrangements while I brew. We could take the Independence Day holiday and just not come back for a while after. My only stipulation would be somewhere north so not Texas or California, please."

She chuckled.

"I can't believe you're letting me plan…"

"That is what you excel at, is it not? So go, do your thing, and plan away a trip in the past we'll never be able to tell anyone about, Wife."

She launched herself into his arms then, kissing him none too chastely while his arms skimmed around her to keep her from falling. And maybe to take advantage of the gesture and cop a bit of a feel. Not that he ever needed an excuse to do that, and he knew that, too. Neither was stingy about expressing (and reciprocating) their ardor for the other.

That feel led to a quick removal of their clothes, a spell cast to ensure the door was locked, and a rather quick but nonetheless thorough shag on the floor. She knew that Severus was eternally grateful for cushioning charms, not just for her benefit either. Hardwood floors like these in his shop were not made for such activities. Not that that stopped them from engaging in them.



County Mead, Ireland

Rhett watched as Scarlett and Wade entered to tour the house they were in love with for the third time.

He could not believe he was contemplating doing this.

He would gladly have handed over Tara to Will Benteen but that wasn't going to happen because of the years of bad blood between his wife and her sister.

Did he really need a third property? Technically, a fourth as his father's plantation would likely go to him no matter what his father said about cutting him out of his will. His mother would talk him out of it. Especially now that Rhett had given them a granddaughter.

Neither his wife nor his father were aware that Bonnie had met her paternal grandmother. She'd been too young to reveal his secret. There was no way until recently he would have attempted to let them meet again. Now, he had thoughts of his mother meeting his wife next time.

Now, though.

He'd assumed a week or two into their traveling abroad that Scarlett would revert to her old ways.

It hadn't happened. She'd barely even mentioned Ashley Wilkes the entire two months they'd been gone.

She hadn't kicked him out of her bed either. He had never … woken up to a woman before. Not like this. His wife. Every morning she looked at him the way he'd waited over ten years for.

At first he'd been … not cold, but unwilling to put himself at complete risk of getting his heart shattered into a million pieces. Only one woman wielded such power. She might not be aware of that power she had, but he was.

Gradually, though, he knew if he truly wanted this to work. If he truly wanted to have a marriage that was spoken positively about he had to meet her more than halfway.

The children weren't sure what to do with this version of their mother either. Wade. She proudly introduced him to the O'Hara kin they encountered as Gerald's oldest grandson.

For now his only grandson.

Rhett could admit when Scarlett confessed to him she'd missed her monthly ailment twice now. Well, he hoped Wade would no longer be Gerald's only grandson.

Pregnant.

He waited for the yelling when she truly realized that she was with child again.

It had never come.

There were times he wondered if he'd fallen asleep and never woken up, these moments being something he was dreaming.

If he was dreaming he didn't want to wake up.

Forget his sex life. Scarlett was happy. Vivacious. He took her to the theater one night and she got lost in the plot. Rhett had seen it before so he'd watched her.

She'd caught him more than once, smiled almost sheepishly, leaned in to kiss his cheek, and then turned her attention back to the show. She had never until recently been openly demonstrative with him. Now, though, she was always doing things like that.

He wasn't complaining. It was just different. And this difference Rhett was still ascertaining the permanence of.

That led to here. Two months into this trip abroad they'd never left Britain. They'd spent two weeks in London and then traveled to Ireland. They visited a few cities before finally making their way to the area that Rhett firmly believed was responsible for her survival to this point.

And now, his wife wanted to buy a home here. Not just any home either. One with more than just a little bit of property and land associated with it. There was also a village with open businesses being run, therefore, people attached to it.

The pathetic part was that he was pretty sure he'd give her whatever she asked for. He had to admit watching Bonnie and Ella play around in the yard outside the house while their mom and brother looked through the house and over the grounds discussing the potential.

Well, the boy needed something to do. Tara wasn't going to be it, but this could be.

If he wanted to end up living the rest of his days in Ireland.

He listened discreetly as Scarlett looked at the smaller houses that were clearly designed for the help. He'd looked at them already and it appeared like probably ten could sleep in each house with the overseer's house having a grand kitchen to feed them all.

He'd never really seen her having to worry about which crops to plant when. Or how many employees was too few or too many. (Of course post-war, almost any was too many.)

He had a bout of guilt, knowing he had indirectly caused her to have this knowledge. He hadn't had to leave her at Rough and Ready. He could have ensured she got home safely. And to a home.

And then what?

That was what he stumbled over when he wished to have the ability to do it over. He had not been ready for marriage then. Hell, he wasn't when he proposed.

He shook his head to dismiss those thoughts when he heard Wade mention ways of improving the structures so that the men could each have an area to play cards or whatever in.

Currently, there was nothing but beds and an area to put coats and boots and the like.

He was talking instead of beds having bunk beds for the men.

"Wouldn't we want them to like one another? Get to know one another so that they'd work better?"

He could see the look on Scarlett's face. This land called to her, whether she knew it or not.

She seemed to finally catch onto the fact he was paying attention to the conversation she was having with Wade.

"You hate it," she said softly. There wasn't impatience or petulance in her voice.

That realization led to him saying, "how could I hate anything that makes you as happy as this land obviously would, my dear."

She knew then. And he knew that she knew.

"Well, I promised I wouldn't make a decision until we've been in Paris for seven days."

"That you did."

She approached him then, dismissing Wade to go with his sisters. The boy did without question. He was good that way, but having his mother's attention went a long way to him being happy about it.

"Can we really afford it, Rhett?"

"Would it bother you if I said no?"

"Well, no, it wouldn't bother me, but I'd wonder why you let me look at it so many times."

"We can," he said simply.

"Well then, my inclination is that I want it, but I'll wait for the seven days in Paris."

He smirked a bit. He couldn't help it. She liked traveling, as he knew she would. She was never going to be the world's most intelligent or well-read woman around, though he enjoyed steering her in those directions.

It helped, too, seeing a couple like the Denbys. He'd been cautious at … encouraging Scarlett's obvious business acumen but he knew that Severus Denby not only enlisted his wife's assistance in his apothecary but with the making of the tonics as well. And anyone only had to listen to the two of them talk that if he mentioned a book, he knew without a doubt his wife read it. Not only read it but knew and understood it.

He'd been jealous at first. Here was a man in Severus Denby that Rhett recognized had seen some bad things in his life and survived. Rhett wasn't used to meeting others in polite society who shared that look with him. Former Confederate soldiers aside.

How did he get someone like the gentle and rather timid seeming Hermione to accept his courtship. Let alone his offer for her hand in marriage. And theirs was not an arranged marriage.

Enough men at Belle's had asked about that. Severus had gotten a little tired of the question after a while, as if the good men of Atlanta were trying to insinuate he couldn't have gotten her as his wife any other way.

And yet, age difference aside, Rhett saw them working together and making it work. He'd heard Severus confess to seeking his wife's opinion before buying this or that.

And he'd never looked twice at one of Belle's girls.

The first (and only) time Severus had seen Rhett leaving one of the rooms, he'd felt as if he … owed the man an explanation for the first time in a long time. He wasn't used to being caught. That was his fault. As far as he knew, no one in Atlanta was aware he indulged in Belle's offerings.

Severus merely shook his head when Rhett approached, as if knowing the other man was going to offer some sort of excuse but didn't want to hear it

"Nice playing cards with you as always, Mr. Butler."

Did he not care? Did he care but couldn't bring himself to challenge him? Rhett knew Hermione Denby had earned a spot in Scarlett and Melanie's inner circle. Would he tell his wife? Would she then tell Scarlett? And then what?

He didn't think she'd ever divorce him.

And then this drastic change in her opinion of Ashley and what their marriage should be happened. They left really just hours afterward. He hadn't even said goodbye to Belle.

He felt a little bad about that, but assumed she'd take his absence to be what it was. She hated Scarlett because she was the only woman that could keep Rhett an honest man. She knew full well what him marrying her meant. And she knew exactly what it had meant when he'd come back for those purposes.

She'd said she told him so, just more diplomatically than that.

And yet here he was, offering her Paris and to buy her a farm in Ireland to replace the plantation she really couldn't have back.

She batted her lashes at him.

"I'll ask my solicitor to draw up the paperwork with the understanding the offer isn't made until then."

She threw her arms around him then, kissing him. The children no longer looked twice at these outbursts of their mother's. They did at first, but then she hugged and kissed them now, too.

"It's going to cost you, though," he murmured.

"Oh," she said, sounding innocent.

"That red nightgown…"

"The shoes, too?"

No objection. No scolding him because she was with child so shouldn't wear it or some such nonsense. And it was one of the reasons he loved her.

"To start."

She smiled at him and they gathered the children up. Rhett knew the next time he'd see this land and home that they would be his.

***

Before Independence Day they had closed up the house, left word with all of Severus' customers that they'd be gone for about a month, and gotten on the train leading to Charleston. They got off a few stops after leaving Atlanta and found a discrete spot to apparate to Washington D.C. from. From there they got a listing and coordinates of approved apparition points on their route from Salem to Montreal. They'd nixed the train idea wanting to see as much as they could of the actual cities they were visiting. If they chose to stay in Vermont for five or six days, fine but they didn't want their time to be wasted on a train when they had the ability to get places the way they did.

It was weird being in Salem. When Hermione thought of it, it was something that happened hundreds of years ago. Not exactly ancient history, but still relatively far removed. Being here now, within two hundred years of their race being persecuted. Still a long time ago, but the difference between their real time and this one seemed more pronounced.

Well, it was both very humbling and frightening to realize that, really, they weren't as far removed from it as they liked to think.

Maybe Salem hadn't been the best starting point, but on the other hand they saw it early on in their five weeks away so that other, more pleasant stops were experienced after. She knew neither of them would ever forget.

They returned ten days into August and Hermione liked to think Severus was as refreshed as she was. It wasn't that their life in Atlanta was so difficult they needed stress relief.

It was living among muggles and having to be so very careful with everything. They thought about getting a letter to their elves when they knew they were going to start heading back south with the goal of being back the first complete week of August. They couldn't be assured an owl would just drop a letter and leave, that the elves would find the letter, and if they didn't that someone curious about their property wouldn't find it instead.

The Hamilton/Kennedy/Butler family had, in fact, returned and while Hermione was no expert it was pretty clear from the gossip that Scarlett was with child again. And had become a property owner in County Mead.

So, Hermione was kind of surprised in mid-September when Severus returned home from a night out with the men. This was something he really didn't get much enjoyment out of, which secretly (or not so secretly) she adored about the man.

"Rhett has not been staying at Belle's any longer than anyone else since we've been back."

Hermione was surprised. Not that he said it, but that he seemed surprised.

"This shocks you?"

"For the months we were here until they left, that was not his usual behaviour. I don't think he is aware I know he stayed more than one time I allowed him to see me. I cannot say for certain every time what he was up to as I came home to you. However, it's a house of ill repute. I doubt very highly he was darning socks."

"Yes, but if they reconciled…"

"I admit I was curious if he was giving those activities up. He wouldn't be the only man who didn't. He has. So, maybe the Butler bloodline isn't the only one we should worry about dying out. Perhaps she is magical," Severus said with a low laugh.

"Oh stop," she said, scowling at him. "From the journals and such I've read it sounds as if they'd just communicated the whole misunderstanding could have been avoided. Of course, either of them admitting their feelings was frowned upon. India didn't help either I'm sure. He thought she was going to hate him and she thought the same thing. So he chose to leave rather than face her scorn. If she met him even a quarter of the way to where he might think Ashley was out of the picture."

"You think he loves her."

"Don't you?"

"It is a hard thing for a man like him to admit I'm sure, but yes. It's not easy to let someone hold such a powerful item over you. It can be used as a tool or a weapon. For good or for destruction."

She turned from him then, going to the window to look outside. It was late so there was no activity on the street or sidewalk in front of their home. She was sure Peachtree Street in their time was bustling with activity at all hours. She saw some similarities between Rhett Butler and Severus Snape.

Products of their differing times: blockade runner and spy. Single later in life than their peers. The main difference was Rhett was reputed to be quite the womanizer. Hermione had never heard such gossip about Severus and as he just pointed out she'd never thought when he was playing cards at the tavern that he was acting inappropriately.

However, to her from what she observed and had read in journals. It seemed Rhett took his guidance from Scarlett. Scarlett didn't want to be physical with him any longer so he'd respected that but gone elsewhere for the needs he did have.

Abhorrent to her, but in this time it was … more normal than not she knew.

"I thought you would be ecstatic. Another sign that our task is on point. I haven't asked directly if she's with child in keeping with what originally happened. It's obviously not my place to do so as we are not close confidantes, but I can read between the lines that imply she is."

"Yes, me, too."

"So?"

"It's nothing, Severus," she said. "I'm glad he's going home as he should have been all along. I hope that whatever truce they came up with continues to work. Yes, I know we have one last task, keeping that precious girl alive for another two years yet but if they're getting along. Maybe they'll admit they love one another and things will work out beyond just Bonnie surviving."

She felt his hands on her shoulders.

"You know, when we first took this job I thought it was incredibly foolish. The plant life aside, obviously."

"You don't any longer?"

"I think when Scarlett married Charles Hamilton she was a sixteen year old girl who did so out of jealousy and spite. I think she married Frank Kennedy out of desperation. Her sister is still mad at her for it. I can tell there is still tension there. However, having met Suellen Benteen née O'Hara I am pretty certain if she'd married Frank Kennedy she wouldn't have sent a dime to Tara even if it had meant a dozen bellies went hungry and died."

"You don't think so?"

"I do not, no. I think Rhett probably asked her to marry him thinking if he left and returned she'd be married again, but this time not out of vengeance or need but want. I don't know the man well, but he is an opportunist and he knew his window for acceptance was narrow. He took it. I'm not sure she ever truly grieved."

"She didn't love him."

"I wasn't even really talking about Frank, though you're right. I do get the impression from things I hear Melanie say that she grew fond of him in her own way. I was talking about all of the other losses she suffered. Her mother. Her father. Tara. Her ideals. How many friends are gone?" He shrugged, stroking the nape of her neck with a thumb. "I do have a question for you, Mrs. Denby."

"Yes?"

"Have you grown fond of me?"

"Severus," she whispered, feeling trapped. And caught. How had he known that was exactly what she'd been thinking about?

"It's a legitimate question I think given neither of us have spent this much time with another person in our lives."

"And will you answer the question?"

"Would you like me to first? I will. I am more than fond of you, Hermione Snape. I wouldn't have let Chapman assign anyone else as my partner so the fondness started prior to this trip."

She turned then, knowing that she had tears in her eyes but couldn't find it in her to care.

"I love you, too, you daft man. You think I could lie beside you every night and not come to love you?"

"I'm not a very loveable…"

"Oh, do shut up, Severus. To me you are."

"Well, would you care to take this conversation to a more private part of the house now that we've both…"

"Oh, but you didn't actually."

He chuckled.

"Mm," he said, leaning in and grazing her lips with his. "I love you, Wife."

"Now you can take me to bed."

"Most excellent."

"I do have one question."

"Of course you do."

"What are we going to do for two years, Severus? Looking through the journals there's no other personal conflict I can see. He took her with him on his trip. He came home with her. She didn't fall down the stairs and lose the baby."

"Well, I, of course, have a rather profitable apothecary going which I could always use your helpful input with."

"Mm. Where's my tape recorder?"

"Back in 2001," he quipped, kissing her jaw. "You could teach or tutor. You could be a writer, you certainly know how to do that. You could study to be a nurse."

"I'd love to go to school, but that's an expense we just don't have to incur."

"Well, you know Beau, Wade, and Ella specifically. There are other children here. Maybe you could tutor."

She pouted. It was childish, she knew. It didn't mean she really wanted to be stuck here doing embroidery for two years.

"You hate it here," he murmured.

"Not completely."

"Well, you could apprentice under me. I would have to keep a manual track of all of your hours and what you did…"

"With what? We can't do magic here?"

"We can find another place, out of the way. There have to be tons of homes or buildings that are standing empty after the war. I can fix it up. It'd require a trip to Charleston probably but I could outfit it with supplies… We could apparate there and back, setting up a room here for that purpose so that no one accidentally sees us."

"You're serious?"

"I don't want you bored out of your mind for two years to where you equate this assignment with me boring you. I also want you to achieve all that you wish to. I'm afraid I can't offer an apprenticeship in much else."

"It's very generous."

"You say that now, but I am a very strict master."

She chuckled softly. "So you think," she murmured, kissing his jaw.

"I hesitate in fully recommending you go the writer or tutor/teacher route. Before you get defensive or think this opinion is about you. It's certainly not because I think you're incapable. No, but in two years when we do leave, hopefully with Bonnie having survived. Well, then what would they do?"

"The same could be said for your tonics."

"Yes, but my tonics aren't potentially influencing a child's future, Hermione. If you were working with Ella, for example, who we both recognize is perhaps a bit slow, and she improved. You'd leave and then where would she be? That could set her back. And a writer just dropping off the face of the earth would be attention we don't need for this task."

"I suppose."

"And if someone tried to write to you and you were suddenly not just gone but unreachable. I realize there is no internet here, but people like Rhett Butler still have deep enough pockets to hire a private investigator."

"You're right," she said with a huff. "I just didn't quite think about two years when we agreed."

"I know. If you'd like to go the apprentice route, we can find something I'm sure and make it into a sufficient lab. Two years with little interruptions, you should be done in no time."

"Mm, you're not going to be an insufferable jerk to me, are you?"

"No, but my conditions for payment might seem exceptionally demanding."

She smirked at that. "Is that right? Considering you are handling our finances…"

"Yes, money will not be entering into the equation."

"Well, I look forward to those demands then."

He snorted softly. "Some men would be worried about your intelligence with that response."

"Good thing you're not them then, yeah?"

"I'm incredibly relieved. If you follow me to our room upstairs I will demonstrate for you exactly how much." He set a hand over her hip, sliding it to her abdomen. "You know there is another option for occupying your time for the next two years."

"Oh?"

"A little Hermione. Or Severus I suppose."

Her heart lurched at the idea. She had to admit, being around Bonnie and the other children more than a few times did make her wonder what type of mother she'd make. What a child they created would look and be like. She stashed those thoughts to the very deep recesses of her mind. She'd never heard anyone say anything about Severus Snape wanting children. Ever.

"Severus, that's not even remotely funny."

"Who says I'm trying my hand at a joke?"

She looked from his hand at her abdomen to his face. He meant it. He was asking her if she wanted to have a baby. With him. "You're serious?"

"Of course I am."

"The medical …"

"You're thinking of Melanie, I take it."

"I am."

"I think she was not the specimen of a healthy female to begin with. Improper prenatal care due to the war and I don't even want to think about the care during the delivery or after-care she received."

"It wasn't uncommon."

"You are right. The first hint of trouble we'd go home so you could get the proper care you need."

"And then what?"

"Come back in 1873 without you, I suppose to take care of the last part of our task. Tell them you returned to London to be close to your family after the baby or something. I returned to sell the home and what not when it was decided we would not return."

He'd thought on this. He had to have to have such a story already in place.

"I don't want you to have a child with me in an effort to keep me busy, Severus. I can find something that's not life altering…"

She saw it in his eyes then. Not hurt necessarily but disappointment.

"I have one question."

He shook his head, but there was no smirk or chuckle. It broke her heart that she was hurting him in any way.

"Do you even want to stay married to me when we return?"

"What kind of question is that, Hermione?"

"It's a legitimate question. You're talking about a baby. A marriage as you said we could get annulled. A baby we cannot send back."

"Do you want it annulled?"

"I asked you first, Severus."

"I told you I love you. Do you think that means I want to annul my commitment to you?"

"So, we return home and you want to be Mr. and Mrs. Severus Snape?"

"So long as you are agreeable to that, yes. The marriage was accidental, but I admit I decided to take it as a sign."

"And you don't think our friends will wonder how we have a child one day when we didn't the day before?"

He nodded slightly, evidently that point struck a chord with him. Their friends (and obviously by the Wade Hamilton in their time meeting with them after talking with Mr. Chapman about a possible solution to the issue their timeline was facing) suspected what they did. They were not supposed to tell, though. Seeing them one day with a year plus old child would not be very secretive.

"And what about a birth certificate?"

"All valid points."

"I'll make a deal with you," she whispered, standing on her toes to kiss him. The disappointed look was still there, but after another kiss and a nip at his throat it dissipated greatly.

"Once we know Bonnie survives, we can stay to tie any loose ends up and try."

"Oh?"

"Well, wouldn't that be quite the story to tell our son or daughter. Well, you see, Dear, you were conceived in Reconstruction Era Atlanta, Georgia one hundred thirty years ago."

"This isn't your way of putting me off?"

"No, Severus, it's not. I just think too many things can go wrong. Nevermind the newborn care!"

He nodded a bit. "You are correct."

She kissed his jaw. "Of course I am, Wizard," she murmured.

"Humble, too."

"Mm hmm."

"I will start looking for somewhere suitable for a lab."

"Okay."

"If you think of something else in the meantime. I mean, you could be a secretary," he shrugged. "I don't particularly like the idea of your boss thinking he can get fresh with my wife, though."

"Who knew Severus had a jealous streak?"

"What you did prior to our relationship has no bearing on my thought here, but I am not sure I would stop at hexing."

"You would because you don't want to end up in Azkaban."

He huffed. "You may be correct in that."

"Take me to bed, Severus."

"Have you forgotten the way?"

He chuckled, taking her into his arms and carrying her up the stairs to their room without her even answering his question.

Return to Top

Part 4 | Part 6

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com