***Chapter Four***

It took them a bit to get settled into their new home. There was learning to cook and clean in 1871 as well as how to store food so they wouldn't get ill or die before their assignment was up. Adjusting to having two elves around even was a process since neither was used to having them. They also worked hard to assure them that they would not be abused. They managed to fix things up around the house without anyone noticing they weren't actually buying any supplies.

Fortunately neither of them was averse to getting their hands dirty. With the help of disillusioning or Notice-Me-Not spells no one was the wiser of what went on at the Denby home. Hermione had been more than impressed with the home itself, Severus could tell. He wasn't sure what to expect himself. What was more, his concern about making money so they didn't have to dip into their savings was easily fixed. He didn't travel back over one hundred years to be destitute before their assignment even began.

Their home came with a small structure for servants. With the help of their house elves the structure was converted into a lab with an entrance off an alleyway for a store. With lots of hard work and more than a few very late nights between the two of them he had an apothecary stocked and ready just in time for springtime maladies.

In order to announce his presence and promote his quality tonics, he gave free samples to the local hospital and doctors of a few products as well as a few local businesses, including the brothel. No one wanted to see a sick prostitute. At least that was what Severus told himself. Miss Watling, the proprietor of said brothel, seemed amused at first and then astounded that he was really giving her girls something for free to aid in keeping them healthy. He presumed other businesses encouraging her girls to set foot in their business wasn't common.

One of the first things they did upon getting to Atlanta was to use the time turner to go forward to 1873. They wanted to get the date of Eugenia Victoria's death so that they had that information. There was no point in even doing this if they didn't know when she died originally. They couldn't very well spend every day with a family for months on the off chance she had a tragic accident that day versus the day before or the next day.

They debated about going forward a couple of months to ascertain when Ashley Wilkes' birthday was. However, they didn't want to risk being seen twice, in two different places, on any given day. Hopefully, if things went well, they would change things and no one would remember Hermione and Severus perusing copies of the Atlanta Gazette in 1873. No one would remember anything because that timeline would not exist for these people any longer.

Hopefully.

Knowing that once August 16, 1873, passed without incident they were in the clear made them feel better. They had a date when they'd be able to return home. It made the assignment seem a little less open-ended.

So by March he felt good about what they'd started to do so far. He was at least confident Hermione wasn't going to starve on his watch. And he took that quite seriously.

Being a spy came in handy for learning when Ashley Wilkes' birthday was. While he was cultivating buyers for his various medicinal tonics he listened. And listened well. Everywhere he went. There were rumours of a surprise party on April twentieth at the Wilkes' home.

Hermione was on her way to becoming rather fast friends with Melanie Wilkes. The woman was far too trusting for her own good. Not that Hermione was up to no good, but the woman saw nothing but the absolute best in everybody. (She found Severus and Hermione's accents charming.)

In this time of Reconstruction someone new to Atlanta who wasn't a Yankee was seemingly accepted. They had joined the Wilkes' and the Butlers for dinner more than once. They'd even met the namesake of the Wade Hamilton in their time. Well, one of them anyway. Scarlett Butler's father was deceased so there was no way they were going to be able to meet the man he received his middle name for.

April thirteenth brought Easter and for the first time in Severus' life he partook of the holiday. It was the first time he'd ever felt part of something instead of like an outsider looking in. It had been an enjoyable day. The Wilkes' and Butlers took pity on them being new to Atlanta with no family and opened their homes to them. He knew Hermione was the primary reason behind that sense of belonging, but being included certainly helped. Three months into this and she had yet to express disappointment that they were sharing a bed as a true married couple.

As to her appetites in their bedroom. He had absolutely nothing to complain about in that department and knew the good people of this Reconstruction era would be shocked to early graves if they were aware of what the two of them got up to in their home.

Ironically, a healthy and regular sex life did wonders for his mood and he found himself far less sarcastic and quick to escalate to anger than he was accustomed. This was on top of finding he woke up each morning in a far better mood than he could ever recall despite not having access to basic things like indoor plumbing.

He wasn't fool enough to believe any regular sex would cause this reaction in him.

It was her.

And it was beyond sex.

To wake up to the feel of her next to him every morning for the past three months was rather astounding.


Today was Ashley's birthday. The first hurdle they had to clear in their efforts to keep the Butler/Berg magical line alive.

Severus had to man his store, so standing disillusioned outside of Ashley Wilkes' mill office waiting for his sister to show up fell to Hermione. Neither had any better ideas as to prevent India Wilkes from walking in on a moment she evidently mistook to be something it wasn't.

Severus wondered for the first time just how much India Wilkes loathed Scarlett O'Hara to tell her brother's wife what she'd walked in on. Never mind what did she think of her brother that she believed he'd cheat on his wife. Severus didn't know the man very well, but Tom Riddle aside thought he was a fairly good judge of character. The man seemed overall honourable and rather devoted to his wife.

While he was an only child he knew that family squabbles and dysfunction could be severe, so maybe it was nothing more than that at work. He (hopefully) would never know because that would mean they'd gotten this right.

****

Hermione was only glad that it was April and not July, standing outside the lumber mill disillusioned waiting first for Scarlett to go in and then for India Wilkes to arrive.

She couldn't even sit on the ground and read because she had to pay attention to her surroundings. She reached into the pocket of her outer cloak, running her finger along the stopper of the tonic that was her ruse for stopping India Wilkes when she did see her approach the mill's office.

Beau Wilkes had a cough and Melanie said he felt as if he'd been running a bit of a fever at Easter dinner last weekend. Severus had deliberately sent one less dose so that Hermione would have it to give to India today as a way to (hopefully) distract the woman.

She huffed. This had to work. If it didn't.

Well, then what?

Did she use the time turner, go back a few hours and try again?

She paced around the area outside the mill. She recited the muggle periodic table. She went through the list of ingredients she and Severus had collected over the weekend (trying not to focus on how much she loved that he took her with him) and what potions they would be used for.

Finally, when she'd started reciting the United States capital cities (because if she was going to live here for two years she did not want to sound like an imbecile when people spoke of things) she spotted India Wilkes and Dr. Meade's wife approaching. She didn't remember Mrs. Meade being in the notes they'd read, but maybe she just hadn't been mentioned.

This was when she pulled a book out of her bag, removed the disillusionment, and acted as though she was sitting against a tree, reading. She was pretty sure India Wilkes already found her a little strange, so being seen like this wouldn't hurt anything.

Her eyes followed the womens' path and she stood, putting her book away, and walked toward them when they were close enough to the mill office that Hermione felt she would distract India.

"Miss Wilkes," she called out as she approached the ladies.

"Mrs. Denby," she said, eyeing her curiously.

India Wilkes was not a friendly woman. Hermione had to bite her tongue on several occasions when the woman spoke. The other woman's dull brown eyes regarded her, clearly wondering what she was doing here. No doubt it wasn't common for people to be here for no reason.

"Hello, Mrs. Meade, lovely to see you today," she said with a nod in the direction of the doctor's wife.

"You, as well, Mrs. Denby."

Dr. Meade had been quite kind to Severus thus far so she didn't want to do anything to change that. Not greeting his wife could have been something. "I'm glad I saw you, India. I was going to stop by your home, but you're saving me a trip."

"Oh?"

She slid the vial out of the pocket of her cloak.

"Your sister-in-law mentioned Master Beau was not feeling well. My husband only had a small amount of the tonic on hand. Please tell Melanie she can continue with the same dosage that Mr. Denby prescribed for another four days. If she doesn't see an improvement, she should of course take him to Dr. Meade."

"Oh, yes," she said, taking the vial. "Thank you, we are noticing a marked improvement already."

"I'm very glad to hear that. We are really looking forward to tonight," Hermione said, ensuring she lowered her voice as much as she could. She'd been somewhat surprised they'd been included in the guest list. Severus had not. Hermione had never been part of the "in" crowd so it was different to know she was included rather than excluded.

"Yes, it should be quite a surprise. How Melanie managed."

"Oh," Hermione said with a slight smile. "It's clear Mr. Wilkes adores her. I can't blame him as I've grown incredibly fond of her myself. I'm not sure he doesn't already know about the party, but just wants her to believe he doesn't because he wants her happy."

India Wilkes clearly hadn't thought on that possibility.

She'd observed these families rather closely the past couple of months. Severus had, too. It was very clear whatever Scarlett Butler thought that she felt for Ashley Wilkes it was not reciprocated.

They'd talked about that.

What would they do if there was something there? Knowing that Melanie Wilkes would die in a couple of years. Fortunately, they didn't have to think about that as it was clear while Ashley loved Scarlett he wasn't in love with Scarlett.

Severus found it rather ironic that he and Lily were rather the other side of the coin to Ashley and Scarlett. Hermione had been incredibly surprised Severus had talked about Lily. He didn't talk about her. To anyone. Not even Harry who so desperately wanted him to. Maybe it was the fact that they were one hundred thirty years removed from things. She'd never know, but she ensured that he would not regret trusting her in such a fashion.

Their job was to save the baby Scarlett was presumably pregnant with if originally Rhett left shortly after today's scandal and returned to find her with child. That was when the miscarriage happened and Hermione's heart had broken for both of them. (They had multiple viewpoints to read in the form of various journals.) So save this pregnancy and save their little girl from dying.

They were not here to play matchmaker with Ashley Wilkes knowing he was going to become a widower with a nine year old son in two years' time. Not knowing specifically why Melanie Wilkes couldn't have more children (and ended up dying because she got pregnant again), Hermione and Severus had talked about giving her the prenatal potion he knew how to make in an attempt to not only save her life but that child's. It wasn't part of their assignment, but the woman had been so kind to them already. For his part, Severus was afraid she would risk a third pregnancy if a second was successful and he'd be gone by then and then Ashley would end up with two children and still be a widower. He had time to decide.

"Tell me, is there anything we can bring for the party?"

"We're pretty set. I was just coming to see if Ashley would be coming home on time."

"Oh. You know I've never seen the office. Do you mind if I join you?"

It was clear India Wilkes did mind at least to some extent, but she was too polite to say so. Hermione "tripped" as she walked up the stairs, using the sudden movement to cast a quick spell to make the door shake. She hoped it would make Ashley Wilkes and Scarlett O'Hara stop hugging before she, Mrs. Meade, and India got inside.

"Are you all right, Dear," Mrs. Meade asked.

"Oh, yes, I'm so clumsy," she muttered, straightening her cloak as if it was the cause of her incident. "To think I survived London winters to trip here."

"I've never seen snow," India admitted.

Hermione wasn't surprised. She knew Georgia's climate was generally pretty warm.

"Well, when would you? Though I know it gets cold here, too."

"It does. I guess I shouldn't say I've never seen snow, I have. We've gotten an inch or two I suppose over the years."

"Oh, right, you are far enough north for that to happen once in a while."

In her time, Hermione remembered seeing television news segments about various American towns like Atlanta and Tallahassee when it snowed. The entire area shut down not being equipped to handle it. It was so strange to Hermione.

She stopped India when they got to the door. Her hand was on the knob. One last attempt to let the two people in the office know someone was coming in.

"And I did say that if Master Beau isn't better in four days…"

This was said loud enough she hoped to be heard on the other side of the door. She and Severus had broken in one of their first nights here so that they could know the layout. The desk was a fair distance from the entrance. Not like miles away, but enough. She couldn't use a Sonorous Charm so she went with what she could do.

"Yes. Thank you."

She couldn't come up with anything else to delay them going in.

India's eyes glazed over with distaste and distrust when she saw Scarlett in the office. Mrs. Meade glanced from Ashley to Scarlett and back again, but seeing nothing wrong or improper didn't react much. Hermione didn't get the impression the two old friends seeing one another like this was unusual.

"I'm so glad Beau's on the mend," Scarlett said.

"As am I, Scarlett. Thank you for coming by to relay your birthday wishes to me." Ashley took her hand and kissed the back of it properly. "It means a lot that you remember as I know you are busy yourself."

"See you soon, Ashley." She turned then and ascended the stairs that would bring her to them.

"Hermione, a pleasure to see you as always."

"You, too, Scarlett."

She was probably wondering why Hermione was here with the other two women. She certainly couldn't explain it.

"Mrs. Meade. India," she said, coolly. "Have a nice day then."

Hermione had to stifle a chuckle, because it was clear the last part was said to her not to India. And likely India was aware of that, too.

There were some unshed tears in Scarlett's eyes and Hermione couldn't help but wonder what that was about.

"India. Mrs. Denby. What a pleasant surprise. More birthday greetings?"

"I happened to run into India outside and just wanted to see your office as I hadn't yet."

"I was just making sure you remembered you have a family who is expecting you for dinner tonight."

"I am aware, India. Thank you. Would you like a tour, Mrs. Denby?"

"You know," she said. "I hadn't realized it was your birthday, Mr. Wilkes. I'll save the tour for another time when you don't have a wife and son expecting you."

"Thank you."

Hermione left then, closing the door that led outside behind her and leaning her back against it. She clutched the knob, breathing in and exhaling deeply.

She'd done it.

Crisis averted.

Would Rhett still leave for months now? What if doing this altered that?

Time would tell, she supposed.

***

Scarlett chose the gown for this evening carefully. She'd spent at least an hour going over her most recent visit with Ashley earlier today.

She couldn't believe how … stupid she'd been.

For years!

Ashley didn't love her. She didn't love him.

Oh, they loved one another. Not in the way that would make a future together work. They'd both experienced war but had come out very different from its results. Perhaps it was because Ashley had seen things Scarlett probably didn't even want to dream of on battlefields.

Honestly, she wasn't sure anymore if the war was the catalyst, or if it had always just been a girl's infatuation because he was so different than the other boys in Clayton County.

Either way, certainly their paths had diverged. Honestly, she wasn't sure she would have been happy with him if the war hadn't happened and she'd gotten her way.

Ashley wanted merely to survive.

Scarlett wanted to live. She wanted to thrive. She only realized today, talking with Ashley, she hadn't really been doing that. She had a husband who could take her anywhere and instead of doing that she'd stayed here pining for a man who she really didn't think could make her happy.

Why had it taken her so long to realize that?

Mammy seemed to know what Scarlett was up to and helped her into the red ballgown that was really rather scandalous, but she hoped it would make Rhett take notice of her. The gown had been sitting in her closet unused for quite some time. She decided tonight was as good as any.

When she decided she wanted him to she wasn't sure. Somewhere along the line the past few months as she observed Rhett with their daughter. Well, she found she missed his kindness and affection directed at her. It was her own fault and only she could fix it. He wouldn't try to because she was the one who made things this way.

After her conversation with Ashley though, she'd come home and gone to her closet wanting to choose a dress. This one had jumped out at her as being the perfect dress for the evening. The perfect dress for making Rhett want her again.

Dressed and ready for the evening she paused at the door that she hoped would change everything between them agsin.

With a deep breath, she opened the door that led to his room. A connecting door that, if she were being honest, had been closed for far too long.

"Rhett?" she asked.

"Yes, my pet," he said.

Was he even surprised she was in his room? She had no idea. She did know that he didn't even turn to look at her. When had he stopped looking at her? He used to, she knew. She remembered full well the way he'd looked at her that day of the Twelve Oaks barbeque. How had they gone from that to this? They'd been friends, hadn't they? Able to talk about topics they couldn't with anyone else. They'd known and accepted one another, faults and all.

The idea that it was her fault, her doing, weighed heavy on her heart.

She took the opportunity to look at him. This man who she'd known for ten years now. The man who knew her secret. Had heard her abase and embarrass herself to Ashley at Twelve Oaks. Yet to this day he'd said nothing. To anyone. He hadn't even brought it up to her. He rode with her when she was pregnant with Ella and she knew, now, it was to ensure danger didn't befall her.

He cared. How hadn't she seen it before?

Stupid.

She'd love to blame him and threaten divorce for him seeing that Belle Watling woman. However, she knew until the moment she'd told him that she didn't want anymore children he had been … faithful. Not to say he didn't still frequent Belle's establishment, but she knew he didn't use the services she offered beyond card games and alcoholic beverages. Rhett was a lot of things and many thought he was a cad, but when it got down to it he would not have embarrassed himself by letting people think he'd allow himself to become unhappy at home.

So, she'd sent him into the arms of the other women.

He still hadn't looked in her direction.

Did she want to do this? Could she be brazen enough to tell him what she wanted.

"I was thinking," she said, taking as deep a breath as the corset allowed. Mammy had tied it extra tight tonight it seemed.

"Yes?"

She watched as he precisely slid a cufflink into the wrist of the shirtsleeve she could see from this angle. He was to this day precise and particular about everything. She loved that about him.

There were other things, too. Things she hadn't noticed.

Stupid.

"I, um," she said.

He turned then to face her. She felt something stir in her that she didn't quite understand when she saw the way he was looking at her. He liked what he saw. Very much. His eyes darkened in a way she hadn't noticed before now because she hadn't wanted to see it.

Desire. He desired her and that gave her the strength to do this.

"Yes?" he asked again.

He wasn't smirking or teasing her at the moment. The first yes had sounded amused. This one sounded … intrigued. Interested.

"I was thinking today. I would prefer you not frequent Miss Watling's for more than cards any longer."

His eyes widened a smidge. Enough to know she'd surprised him. Little surprised Rhett Butler. She was pleased to say something that had done that. She liked seeing that look in his eyes. She hoped to see it again later tonight, in a much more intimate setting than standing across from one another in his room.

"And what of the third in our bed if I go along with your request?"

"There isn't one."

He shook his head, turning back to his wardrobe and slid the other cufflink into the other sleeve's cuff. She couldn't see him do this, but she recognized the movement of his arm and the flexing of his back when he did this.

"You've done an excellent job of suggesting there is…"

"And I'm telling you there won't be. If I can believe that you're not doing more than playing cards…"

He turned then to face her. There was a look of … dare she think it … hope in his eyes. Did he still want her? That meant she wasn't too late. Didn't it? She took strength in that. He hadn't laughed at her! He hadn't thrown her out of his room.

"Do you know what you're asking me, Scarlett?"

"I do. Do you?"

"Is that what the dress is for?" He strode to her then, the back of his hand falling to her hip so he could run his knuckles along the velvet.

He thought she was dressing to trap him. How she could trap her own husband she wasn't sure. Emboldened by his hand touching her for the first time in years she pushed forward.

"Well, I was hoping you'd take it off of me later, but yes."

And that was the most bold and forward thing she'd ever said in her life.

"Do you know how long I've dreamt of you saying that to me, Scarlett?"

"No," she said.

"Oh, about ten years."

"Oh, come on."

"I'd hoped our honeymoon…"

She could admit, looking back at it now, she hadn't been able to grasp their honeymoon. Her weddings to Charles and Frank had been. Well, she hadn't known what to do with someone treating her to such gluttonus luxury. If only she could go back with the knowledge she had now. To this day she had no idea why he proposed. She wished he would include her on some of his trips.

And yet. How was he to know she wanted to go if she didn't say so?

"Why don't we take another one?"

His eyes narrowed a bit. "You're serious?"

"I am. Let's take Wade, Ella, Bonnie and go … somewhere. We could take the summer and see everything you've mentioned wanting to show me, Rhett."

He took a step back, regarding her closely. He was probably sussing out whether this was some sort of trap, or perverse joke on her part.

"Do we have to go to Ashley Wilkes' surprise party?"

"Well, it'd be a shame to waste this dress…" Yes, she was vain, but she did look fantastic in it.

"Bring it with us."

"Rhett," she murmured. She was cut off from saying more by his mouth crashing over hers.

She was pretty sure her heart stopped beating for a second or two at the ferociousness of the kiss. He'd never kissed her like this before. Needy. Possessive. Hungry.

And then she decided to stop thinking about what she'd been missing out on and kiss him back with the same urgency. Yes, if this was the way it could be with him just with a kiss. She wanted that.

His groan told him he approved as he lifted her into his arms.


Scarlett woke the following morning, stretching. It took her a moment to understand first why she was sore in places she had no recollection of feeling sore before. And second why she was not wearing any clothes or in her bed.

And then she remembered the deliciously wicked way Rhett had divested her of each and every one of her layers the night before. She'd done the same to him in return. In fact, the only thing she currently wore was the cravat he'd been wearing last night. Somehow, it ended up around her neck. She ran her fingertips along the silky material.

"Rhett," she whispered.

A hand reached for her bare thigh.

"That was a far more enjoyable way of spending our evening than at the Wilkes' with all those uptight…"

"Friends," she murmured, turning onto her side to face him.

She ran a finger along his chin and lower lip, smiling a little at the stubble there. The only time she'd seen him look this unkempt and disheveled was after Bonnie was born. He had never before stayed the whole night through with her. She realized now it hadn't been for her but because of her.

What a fool she'd been.

He huffed, nipping at her finger.

"So, Katie Scarlett O'Hara. Where shall we start our trip?"

Her eyes flashed in giddiness. He still wanted to go!

"Oh, can we start with Ireland, Rhett? County Mead?"

"Ballyhara?"

"Can we?"

"I think Wade, Ella, and Bonnie are old enough to start to know where their mother gets her strength and perseverance."

"My mother…"

"Oh, I know your mother was a force to be reckoned with. Your mother, however, no ill intent meant with my words, lacked love. Emotion. Passion."

Scarlett couldn't say he was wrong. As a child she'd looked up to her mother, a woman who seemed perfect. Always knew the right thing to say or do. Never looked flustered or not put together. She'd come to learn after the war when she was in charge of the O'Hara estate that her mother wasn't perfect.

No one was.

"Do you think she ever loved my father?"

"In her way," he said. "Your father was a good and honorable man, Scarlett. She knew that and represented Tara and the O'Hara name well until her death."

She'd confessed to Rhett she'd discovered while going through various papers as overseer of Tara that her mother had been in love with someone else in her youth. Mammy had filled in some holes, vaguely, unwilling to betray her first mistress even after her death. It was barely enough to settle Scarlett's curiosity.

Scarlett was left thinking her father had gotten the shell of a woman.

Now, this morning, staring into Rhett's eyes she realized she'd done much the same thing to this man. She didn't want to do that anymore. She didn't want to be her mother. She wanted to laugh and enjoy life with this man.

Suellen and Carreen had no idea nor would they ever. There was no reason for that information to come out, and Rhett (thankfully) agreed with her on that point.

"Those things, though, my dear, are things you got from your father in spades."

She beamed at him. Not just the compliment either. He'd called her ‘my dear' not ‘my pet'. My pet was intended as sarcasm most of the time these days.

"Thank you."

"I am glad you took it as the compliment it was intended. Shall we get up? Wade and Ella are likely to wonder…"

"Let them wonder, Rhett," she murmured.

"I should see to travel plans…"

"Later."

He chuckled, tugging on the cravat at her neck. "It seems I created a monster last night."

"Is that bad?"

"No, I think it shall make for a very enjoyable journey."

"Me, too."

He pinched her lightly on the shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for? Really, Rhett!"

"Just making sure we're both actually here and awake."

"Can we do this, Rhett?"

"I was willing to try as long as you were meeting me halfway."

"I will! I've been so stupid."

"You are anything but stupid, Scarlett. I never experienced a childhood crush as you did with Ashley, so it's difficult for me to understand the power and weight those feelings carry."

"I do love him, Rhett. I always will, but I realize now it's not the type of love for a marriage or a relationship. He's really the only thing left from my childhood. India, Suellen, and Carreen are different."

"Of course, your belle of the ball days."

She expected a violent reaction to her admitting she loved Ashley. It didn't come. What did that mean?

"I would never and have never wanted to interfere with your friendship, Scarlett. It was incredibly difficult to live up to the lofty standards you'd set that no offense Ashley couldn't meet in a million years."

"I know. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that."

"War, Scarlett. War and loss happened."

She smiled at him and when he smiled back at her rather wickedly she thought this morning might very well be as fun as last night had been.

"Now, Scarlett, an important question."

"Oh?" She didn't want to talk anymore. He was willing to try. She hadn't lost him with her foolish schoolgirl infatuation.

"On or off," he said, tugging on the cravat lightly.

"On of course," she said, hoping she was returning his wicked smile with one of her own suitably enough.

"It does look better on you," he quipped, kissing the spot on her neck right above the silk tie.

"You're just saying that because I'm naked."

"You might be right."


Neither spoke again after that until they went down for breakfast over an hour later to eat and tell the children they were going on a trip to Ireland.

Return to Top

Part 3 | Part 5

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com