***Chapter Six***
February 1872

Severus watched from across the room as Hermione held Rhett Robert Butler, Jr. She grazed his tiny nose and forehead with the pad of her thumb.

Severus was no expert on babies, having really only seen a toddler Potter and baby Draco in his life until coming here. However, he had to admit that the Butlers had created what appeared to be a perfect baby boy.

He'd already felt Bonnie's magic thrumming through her while holding her once or twice over the past year they'd been in Atlanta. (How they'd come up with Bonnie as a nickname from Eugenia Victoria he'd never know.) There was no doubt she would be a capable witch one day. Assuming Rhett recognized the signs as she grew older and had her first bouts of accidental magic. Did he know he was from magical roots?

Did he know and say nothing when Bonnie died, knowing there was no point in revealing any of it to Scarlett? Severus supposed he would never know.

Watching his wife hold the baby, though, made him realize that she would be a good mother. He wasn't sure what kind of father he would make, but he knew that this witch would never stand by and let him hurt her or any child they had. Some probably would have said that about his mom, too, but Severus got the impression his mother was never strong.

Strong enough to buck the Princes and marry a muggle.

Not strong enough to admit she'd made a mistake and leave the bastard. Not strong enough to go to her parents for help. For that matter, going to Albus and asking him to provide a roof over her head until she could find a job. There were possibilities. She hadn't done any of them.

He knew she wasn't completely blameless. Years of being abused probably led to her just not caring any longer.

He could forgive her not caring for herself, for turning her back on her own dreams and aspirations.

He wasn't sure he would ever forgive her for allowing his father to focus his wrath on him.

As if Hermione knew that he was thinking unpleasant thoughts she looked at him and smiled. "Would you like to hold him, Severus?"

"If everyone else has had their turn."

She stood then, making her way to him and settling the newborn into his arms. He took the fragile cargo from her. He was sleeping, had been since they'd arrived. It was what newborns did from his understanding.

Her eyes met his for a moment. He felt her pushing into his mind. They'd worked together on occlumency and legilimency over the past year so that if they ever needed to communicate with one another without anyone else being the wiser they could.

They had never really had reason to initiate this type of communication before now.

I feel him. His magic.

He nodded. He felt it, too.

We have done well. Now we just need to keep that witch alive. This was with a nod in the direction of Bonnie.

I didn't know what to look for with Bonnie.

Young Wade Hampton, now ten, looked a little nervous about his newest sibling. Severus got the impression Rhett treated him as if he was his own son. Was there doubt in the young lad's mind that now that Rhett had a son of his own he'd no longer need Wade?

Wade Hampton was magical, too. Not that that wasn't special, but Scotland needed the Berg magic.

Ella at five and a half seemed more curious as to why Rhett, Jr. was getting all of this attention. She had been born right after the war, so while a happy occasion was still steeped in people rebuilding.

Bonnie at just under three seemed oblivious to anyone being there for any reason but her. In fact, she was currently tugging on Hermione's hand to show her the new dress for her doll. Hermione and Severus had gifted it to her for Christmas.

Severus regarding Rhett, Jr. as Bonnie tugged Hermione away from him. Ella ran to join the two of them as they sat to play with Bonnie's dolls. At twenty-two she was the adult closest in age to the children and the one most likely to sit with them and play with dolls.

Severus knew his wife was not comfortable in social situations. He wasn't great at it either, but he was more used to it than she was. She was better than she had been a year ago when they first arrived here. He knew she thought sitting with Ella and Bonnie playing with dolls she didn't risk saying something wrong.

Soon, it was just him and the baby, Hermione and the children (even Wade joined in playing) off essentially by themselves, and Rhett. He wasn't sure where everyone else had gone or why.

Rhett offered him a drink as he took a seat near him.

One thing Severus could appreciate was Rhett's taste. The house decor aside, which he knew was Scarlett's doing, he had impeccable taste. And that included his liquor.

"You are about as comfortable holding him as I was Bonnie when she was first born," Rhett said.

Severus got the impression from the passages Hermione had relayed to him that Rhett had seen both Wade and Ella as infants, but likely hadn't held them as it wouldn't have been appropriate for him to do so.

"I have a godson in England who is an adult now. He was the last baby I held. I honestly cannot recall if I held him when he was this young"

"Ah," Rhett said, snipping a cigar before offering it to Severus who waved it off. He wasn't opposed to a good cigar, but not while holding a newborn. Rhett lit it then. "When I first met Scarlett I would never have imagined my life would come to be this house with these children and her as my wife."

Severus' eyes sought out his wife.

"I recognize a similar look when you see your wife."

"You would not be wrong," Severus said simply.

"Do you believe in fate, Severus?"

Severus chuckled softly. Oh the irony of this man asking him that question.

"I have encountered things that make me question the order of things, yes," he said vaguely.

"I do, too. Between you and me, I shouldn't be here. I made some rather stupid decisions when I was not much older than Wade Hampton. Blockade running is not a safe occupation."

Severus chuckled at that. "No, no, it's not." Neither was acting as a spy.

"I love Bonnie. Wade and Ella may as well be mine," he said, taking a puff from the cigar. "That boy that you're holding, though. I feel it deeper than in my bones that he changed things."

"I imagine one day I'll hold my own child and think much the same thing."

"Maybe so. Wade hears the stories without the context and thinks I'm some swashbuckling hero. One day he'll figure out the truth and realize I'm not that."

"I suspect with the way you've apparently treated him all along that he'll always think you're a hero."

"I sure don't about my father."

"I can say the same. Perhaps that's why you go out of your way to allow him to think it. We can't all start our lives as the Hamilton or Tarleton men I've heard tell of did."

Rhett tilted his head back and laughed at that.

"Something tells me you have interesting stories to tell, too, Severus. I recognize it in your eyes. The boredom you feel at the mindless polite chatter around the poker table."

"Well, I'm not there to gossip, but yes I have stories."

"I hope to one day hear them. I have plenty of liquor and cigars to last hours."

It was tempting. He found as he spent time with the man, he liked him. He wasn't the most moral man, but had a code. And seemed to realize his actions prior to marrying Scarlett could cause their children to suffer.

"If I'm able to, you'd be one I'd confide in." That was the best way to say what he thought.

"My wife and Mrs. Wilkes tell me you may not be staying in Atlanta."

Severus glanced at Hermione who seemed oblivious to the conversation.

"Oh, we're staying put for now, but imagine one day London will call us home."

"My wife's family is from Ireland."

"Mm, yes, Hermione mentioned that you visited there last summer. Bellyhara, is that right?"

"It is. Landowners now, we are. I think she's eyeing it for Wade Hampton if he wants it. Are you familiar?"

"Somewhat. Lovely country."

"It is. The kids had a great time meeting their O'Hara kin. There aren't any Butlers I'd care to introduce them to."

"Understood," Severus said. He glanced at Wade Hampton, wondering what Rhett would say to knowing the family still lived there one hundred thirty years from now and still valued the land.

The two men talked as Rhett, Jr. slept with Mammy coming to take him away once he did awaken. Eventually, they took their leave with Ella and Bonnie both asking Hermione to return.

He held her hand as they walked to their house on the other end of Peachtree Street.

"Another year before we can start trying?"

"At least," she said, she bumped her hip against his. "I liked holding him, too. Wondered what it would be like if he was ours."

"We did that," he whispered.

"I know."

They were both quiet as if thinking there was a child, potentially a magical child, in existence today because of them hearing Wade Gerald Hamilton's crazy idea out.

"I know I've told you that I thought this was the most ridiculous assignment ever. But holding him, feeling him breathe, and hearing him cry. There is a child in this world who wasn't, and likely a marriage saved."

"Yes, and they seem to have grown closer. Do you notice that?"

"I have."

"Scarlett confided in me over tea - her staff are the only ones who come close to making it right."

"I have noticed this, too, yes."

"She said that you are the only husband she thinks treats his wife with respect and as if she - me, of course - isn't a mindless twit."

"She said twit?"

"No, of course she didn't, don't be absurd. That was me interjecting my feelings on the subject."

He laughed.

"I wonder if it makes her realize that she is somewhat lucky that Rhett views her in that way. I think she'd be hard-pressed to find another who would. And while I think there is loads of room for improvement even from him, I do see a difference from when we first arrived and now."

"I do as well. And I know Belle Watling is none too pleased with that turn in events," Severus offered. They both knew that was true. There were rumours of a ward of Rhett's, Belle's son. Some thought it was Rhett's son, but Severus had seen nor heard anything to indicate Rhett was doing more than offering assistance since (until recently) he had no children of his own.

Hermione chuckled. "As long as she's not after you now."

"No, I've made it very clear I'm quite taken with my wife."

"Excellent."

"I was thinking, though," Severus said.

"About?"

"What's stopping us from using your device to move forward a year?"

"Nothing really," she said.

"Nothing but your apprenticeship, I suppose."

"If we go forward a year we'd still have months."

"True."

"Let's think about it. People would find it strange they couldn't buy your tonics for a year."

He sighed, not having thought of that. Not deeply. His thought was getting home. To their time sooner. He knew being here was not the greatest of experiences for Hermione. Scarlett Butler was about the only woman who seemed to have a mind of her own. And one that was actually capable of thinking about things beyond embroidery, aside from Belle Watling

"I'm fine, Severus, really. We knew it would be two years and I'll be a potions mistress when we return."

"Are you going to leave me then?"

"You or the job?"

"Well, I meant the job, but I suppose …"

"And again, don't be absurd. I know that you have mentioned you don't wish to be an Unspeakable forever."

"No," he admitted.

"And if we're both masters we wouldn't have to hire anyone for an apothecary."

"We're opening an apothecary?"

"Just a thought. You can't say after a year of doing it here…"

"No, I like it. I do. However, I do not expect you. The mastery was to give you something to do, to utilize your mind, and to ensure you aren't bored. It was not an attempt to bind you to me even when we leave here eternally."

"Contrary to the evidence of marrying us."

"Contrary to that. It's not as if I've done that before!"

"That is exceedingly good to know. I don't think you'd like me if we got back to other Mrs. Snapes."

He snorted, pushing open the gate that led from the public sidewalk to their home. He allowed her to pass first before doing the same and ensuring the gate was latched for the night.

"So, we are staying then?" he asked. He decided it was best not to comment on there not even being the potential for other Mrs. Snapes.

"I don't see how we can really do any different. What if something happens in the next year that we aren't here to see and despite getting along now… I mean it took them years to get to this point! Who's to say what we stopped from happening at the mill office doesn't take a different turn. Maybe Ashley liked having Scarlett swoon over him."

"Now you're starting to sound like me. So pessimistic, but you are right. We will stay. However, I do plan on taking you places."

"I look forward to it."

***

They spent Easter weekend of 1872 touring the southern states west of Georgia. Mississippi, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. To visit the Grand Canyon this far in the past and know that it had been there long before they'd visited was truly awe inspiring. As far as anyone else was concerned, they'd visited St. Augustine, Florida for a long weekend.

They spent a long weekend in June touring Colorado and Montana, knowing in the not too distant future (1890) Yosemite National Park would be established.

They took a month in November and headed further south. They spent a couple of nights in Key West, knowing in about sixty years Ernest Hemingway (and his six toed cats) would be living there. From there they went to Puerto Rico, Cuba, Mexico, and a few countries in South America. They lived like nomads essentially, living day to day out of their bags with undetectable extension charms on them.

Sometimes they stayed in magical areas, but most of the time they stayed among the muggles. Neither wanted to risk altering anything magical, or running into someone they shouldn't.

When they returned to Atlanta in December 1872, it was to discover that Scarlett was very obviously pregnant again. No one said anything outright, as was the norm given the time, but it was dreadfully obvious from her appearance to the way Rhett sort of … fretted over her at the few meals Hermione and Severus joined them for.

"That didn't take long," Severus murmured in bed later that night.

"Their son not being even a year old, you mean?"

"Precisely that, yes."

"Mm, well, they have a few years to make up for."

He chuckled.

"I truly hope this bodes well for August 16."

"Me, too," she whispered. If they went through all of this and actually got to interact with that little girl only to have her die anyway. Hermione wasn't sure she'd recover from that. She wasn't so sure Severus would either.

"It will be fine," he said, as if knowing what she was thinking. He probably did.

"She is magical," she said.

"Bonnie?"

"Yes."

"I have noticed that, too. Rhett Junior too but you already mentioned noticing that to me. And I don't think he has a clue."

"I don't think he does either."

Both were silent after that, no doubt thinking about how to ensure Bonnie didn't die so that she could come into her magic.

It wasn't even about worrying about the vegetation problem on the grounds of Hogwarts any longer. Surely, that was a concern, but they had spent almost two years getting to know these people.

Return to Top

Part 5 | Part 7

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com