***Chapter Three***

They made their way to a magical hotel not far from the MACUSA building. The Minister's secretary had apparently sent word ahead of their arrival because they didn't have to wait overlong for a room to be ready for them.

"This is lovely, Severus," Hermione said, looking out their room's window.

"Did you want to go sightseeing?"

"Of course," she said. "I suspect you are teasing me by even bothering to ask the question."

He cleared his throat softly and she turned from the window to look at him.

"There are times your enthusiasm is … contagious."

"That's good, I think." She regarded him. "Something tells me that's not what's on your mind right now. Have I done something already?"

"No. You realize any elves assigned to us will likely spy," he said. She tilted her head a bit, wondering where that was coming from. Other than the obvious, that being that they were from 2001 not 1871, she had nothing to be spied on about.

"First, I should say you know that I do not view you as lesser than me. Dismissing my time as your professor, when we have worked together I have found you to be an equal. The fact I allowed Chapman to pair me with you more than once should be indicative of that fact."

Oh. How difficult was that for him to say, she wondered. She could be difficult and make him repeat what he'd just said, but she imagined once was hard enough for him.

"I have never felt otherwise, away from Hogwarts, no"

"Good. We are not this minister's unspeakables. So he will likely want to glean information as he can on what exactly we're doing here. I was going to say that I'll take the sofa tonight, but I think our first night in bed together should not be in a home of the Ministry's choosing with elves assigned to us."

Ah.

"Mm," she said, glancing at the bedroom portion of their rooms. It was a separate room but there was still only one bed. She'd noticed that. Evidently he had, too.

"Hermione, I need more than that as acceptance."

"So we are not going to be a married couple with separate rooms?"

Okay, so she had to be a little difficult. She wasn't sure what she'd assumed their sleeping arrangements might be prior to today when this whole assignment was merely an idea. However, he'd married them! She was his wife. He was her husband. Legally, he could do whatever he wanted, especially in 1871. So, she supposed she should thank the stars she was on this assignment with someone like him who wasn't going to just assume they'd share a bed.

He scowled, regarding her cautiously. Okay, so maybe she wasn't being difficult but instead having a little fun at his expense for what he'd done earlier. Had it really been an accident? She found it very hard to believe he didn't know, but then she didn't know.

"If that is what you prefer," he murmured.

Clearly, that was not what he'd prefer. Interesting.

"Is that not your preference merely because of any elves reporting to others what we do? Or because we're legally married so we may as well spend the next two years…"

"I would not choose to sleep separately from my wife, no. I would have said that regardless of what happened earlier. I am not going to force you into anything - physically or otherwise - however, sleeping separately makes it a tad difficult to protect you for one."

Valid point.

Times were rather tumultuous where they were heading. Not to Second Wizarding War levels, but just the same. She had no idea what kind of danger they might be in being foreigners. Did she want to give off the impression theirs was an arranged marriage or something to where someone might think he wouldn't care if something happened to her?

They'd be living amongst muggles so would not be able to set up wards or anything. She imagined he'd find a way to do something to ensure she was protected. If she knew anything at all about Severus Snape, he would not care so much about his safety. Hers, though, would be important to him.

This was also a time where women were little more than property.

"Can I think about my answer?"

He shook his head, clearly not surprised at the question. "I can't very well say no."

"Well, you could." Legally, they were a bonded pair. Magically, he could do as he pleased with her and she'd have very little to complain about it in 1871. (Things weren't that much better in 2001, truthfully.) Not that she was afraid he'd do that. A lot of people waged complaints and gossip about this wizard. Never once had she heard about him forcing himself on a woman or student.

He chuckled. "Accurate. You can have as long as you need."

"I do have one question," she said.

"Only one?"

"For now. I'm sure there will be plenty of others as we go. How did women with no maid fasten their corsets? I mean not everyone had maids." She'd had elves to assist her when picking out clothes and dressing in the Time Room's wardrobe area today. There was no way she could have done up a corset on her own. Possibly with magic, but she wasn't confident she could even then. So how did muggle people do it?

"You will have an elf to do that for you so you shan't have to worry about it. As to what you're asking. I believe they had to wear ones that laced up the front. Or went without. Women's fashions and what single or poor women did were not really on my radar when I studied this era."

"Mm. Really?"

"This surprises you?" he asked.

She shrugged. Well, no, it wasn't surprising. She felt herself blush more than just a little at the look he was giving her just now. As if he was very curious what her corset looked like, and her body underneath it.

"I admit, my experiences with the fairer sex have been rather rudimentary so the idea of … unwrapping to get to the prize did not hold great appeal. So, no I never really focused on how women got into the outfit they were in."

Her blush deepened and she shook her head. She wasn't sure if she was blushing at the look he was giving her. One that said he very much found the appeal in unwrapping to get to the prize today. Or the fact that he'd just given her a hint about his sex life.

Both? Who knew? She had no business thinking that she very much would like to have more than just rudimentary sex with him. She noticed that he had said did not hold great appeal. Past tense? Did that mean he did see it now?

"And now?" she asked before she could stop herself. Damn that Gryffindor bravery.

"What's that muggle American phrase I've heard in movies? I plead the fifth."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure either of us is ready for me to answer that the way I'd like to. I'll leave it at I am beginning to see the appeal. Perhaps we should go now before we get ourselves in trouble."

"Mm," she said.

Interesting.

"Where would you like to start?" she asked. It was a cheeky and unnecessary question.

"Do you really need to ask me that?"

"Well, I know what my choice would be…"

She couldn't imagine him wanting to go anywhere but the Smithsonian either. To see it in its infancy. Yes, they were twenty-five years or so too late for its birth but it was still new.

"Take me then."

"You trust me?"

"You know that I do."

"How do you know my choice wouldn't be where the first flag was sewn?"

"Because, dearest, that was in Pennsylvania not Washington, D.C."

"I am a wizard last I checked, Hermione, who knows how to apparate."

"True enough, but I still know that's not what you'd choose to see." She offered her hand to him then. "So, I say again, take me then, Severus."

He took her hand, sliding it into the crook of his arm as she settled against him.

"It would serve you right if I chose a botanical garden."

"Oh, but that would be lovely, too, Severus."

Of course there wouldn't be much to see at a botanical garden in January.



They took their time browsing not just the Smithsonian but stores and neighbourhoods that interested them nearby. Severus stocked up on a few potion ingredient and supply options that he wasn't certain would be plentiful in Atlanta. It didn't sound like there was a magical community any longer in Atlanta, the nearest being Charleston.

It was a bit on the cold side, but neither seemed to notice to the point of feeling a warming charm was necessary. They talked of the various things they knew from their primary schooling regarding America's capital city. They also took the time to get some clothing ordered and sent to them in Atlanta when the items were finished. The seamstress probably thought she'd lucked into a very good day considering Hermione needed to be outfitted in everything. Severus did, too, of course, but men didn't have as many layers.

Hermione liked spending these moments with Severus when they were somewhere new on an assignment. He liked experiencing things firsthand just as she did. It was, no doubt, part of the reason he joined the Time Room. They'd never come this far back or been gone for this long. This was the most immersive project she'd been a part of. She had to admit if she had to be stuck in the post-Civil War South for two years with someone, this man was probably her best option. He was capable not just magically either.

When he'd agreed to their officially being partners she'd thought she was dreaming. It had gone pretty well to this point and she liked to think they were at the very least friends. He wouldn't do as much with her outside of work as he did if they weren't. He certainly wouldn't join her at her parents' house for dinners if he didn't at least like her.

"Did you do this?" she asked once they returned to their rooms and she spotted what was obviously a freshly drawn bath.

"I did. I thought you might care for the relaxation."

"You don't?"

"I will bathe later. I was not the one wearing a corset for the first time."

"The things women did!"

He chuckled.

She bathed while he did something in the other room. She worked on her journal while he bathed. He hadn't pushed or shown any sort of impatience at the fact she hadn't yet told him whether or not he'd be sleeping on a sofa that while opulent wasn't designed with that in mind.

He smirked at her when he joined her in the sitting room when he'd finished. She knew what the smirk was for. This was likely the last time she'd be able to wear her very twenty-first century Wonder Woman T-shirt. She'd been to different years before. She knew elves wouldn't pop in and out of their rooms here at the hotel unannounced or unrequested. At their home, though, they would be there all of the time. So nothing reflecting a different time could be used. She was taking advantage of it this last night. At least she was used to fireplaces being the heating source spending years at Hogwarts.

Eventually, the excitement of seeing history play out gave way to exhaustion. She closed her journal and slid it back into her backpack. They'd have to find something current for her to use while here. She was spoiled having access to everything in her bag. She hadn't thought of it today while they were out. Perhaps in Charleston tomorrow before they went to Atlanta.

She stood then and walked the short distance to where he was sitting. She grazed the backs of her fingers along his forearm.

"I'm going to go to bed."

His eyes were on her hand and her heart did a little trot at the idea that she distracted him from reading the newspaper. The little trot might also have been because she liked that he was reading the newspaper, wanting to read up on where things were. Granted, the newspaper was published here in the North so they would likely not get an unbiased view of the situation in the South.

"All right then," he said.

"Do you prefer the left or the right side?"

"I'm sorry?"

"I know that you heard me."

"I don't really have a preference. The part in me that is very much your stereotypical male and would not see you harmed would say the side closest to the door."

She nodded then. There was that little trot again. "Fair enough. I will take the side furthest from it then. Good night."

She closed the door to the bedroom, pressing her back against it as she breathed deeply. She readied herself for bed quickly before going to the bed and sliding back the covers. She hummed softly at the luxuriousness of everything in their room. She didn't get the impression the room was costing them a huge amount.

She got into bed then, bringing the covers up around her as she brought her knees up to her chest, holding them against her as she went through the day's events. Ending up married to him while a pretty big deal wasn't the most impressive part of the day. They had successfully traveled back one hundred thirty years. Not just successfully, but safely. Time would tell, she supposed, of any adverse reactions to such a huge jump in time.

The door opened a little while later.

"You're still awake?" he whispered.

"I am," she said, turning her head and resting her cheek on her knee. "Just thinking."

"It's a bit overwhelming, isn't it?"

"Mm, yes. I'm surprised to hear you admit that you might think so."

"I can admit being nearly a century and a half in the past is a little out of my comfort zone. Knowing that I am at all responsible for keeping two children alive as well. And well, if we're going to succeed in this assignment, we should be honest with one another I think. I am not good at talking about or admitting my feelings, but I will try."

She smirked a little at that.

"Well, you certainly know what not to encourage Mr. Butler to do."

He chuckled as he walked toward the bed then. "I guess I do. You're assuming I'm going to be in a position to give him advice."

"Severus," she whispered as he set his hand on his side of the bedding to turn it down.

"Yes?"

"Close your eyes for a moment."

He huffed, but did as requested. She watched as he scowled when he felt the bedding slip out from under his fingertips. She straightened her legs and turned onto her side.

"You can open them now," she whispered.

"That is not what you were wearing out there," he said.

"I know," she whispered.

"Hermione, my statement earlier was not an attempt."

"Severus, be quiet and get into bed."

She had on a whim grabbed a couple of her more feminine nightgowns when packing for this trip. She couldn't bring much with her, but she sure hoped no one was going to go through her nightgowns that closely.

"I don't even want to know who the imbecile was that let you get away after wearing this for them."

"I didn't. I haven't." She shrugged. "I bought it on a whim, intending to and the moment was never right. Or the guy wasn't."

His eyes got darker with that admission. He liked that thought evidently. Hmm. How it was possible for them to get darker than they were she didn't know, but they did.  She liked that she was the cause.

A lot.

"May I?" he asked, a hand hesitating just over her hip.

"I'll hex you if you don't," she said with a pout so he hopefully would know she was teasing.

"You do not appear as if you are in a hexing mood currently."

"No?"

Her eyes fell closed as his hand came into contact with her hip. His hands were so strong. It was one of the things she admired about him. He still didn't do magic with his hands or a wand often. She was pretty sure he had no idea how fascinating it was for her to watch him when he did. She wasn't sure if it was because for the first few years she knew him he didn't. She could feel his fingertips graze the silky fabric the nightgown was made of and the cheek of her arse.

She slid a hand to his cheek, brushing it with her fingers before sliding it along his jaw and to the nape of his neck, tugging him toward her.

"Too slow," she whispered as her lips met his.

Her fingers found the ends of his hair, sliding through it as she licked his lower lip. She was asking for entry and he granted it, parting his lips with a soft moan when the tips of their tongues met. His hand slid from her hip to cup her arse cheek completely.

"Was he a Slytherin?" he murmured when they broke to take a breath.

"Who?"

She frowned with a scowl. And then she realized what he was asking. The nightgown was green. She shook her head, tracing his lips with her index finger.

"No. Maybe it was supposed to be worn for you all along."

There went his eyes darkening again.

"Figured, no Slytherin would let you get out of his sight wearing this. I'll admit this was not the response I was expecting to accidentally marrying us."

She gave a soft laugh, shrugging as she leaned up to kiss him.

"You're talking too much, Severus."

"I really must be if you're saying that," he quipped.

With this kiss, his hand reached under the nightgown. She nipped at his tongue when she felt his bare palm against her skin. It felt nice on her arse cheek but she knew somewhere it would absolutely feel better.

"No knickers, Miss Granger? I'm shocked."

"It's Mrs. Snape or Denby I suppose for the next little while legally, and I thought the point of a nightgown like this was to not wear any."

"We'll have to explore that thought when we return."

That trot was at a full speed gallop now. He was implying he wanted to be with her when they returned. That was what he was saying, right? Was she mishearing? Was now the time to ask for clarification?

Probably not, so she settled for, "Oh?"

"Yes, a different one for every day of the week so that I can closely examine which have knickers and which don't."

"You want me to wear knickers with them?"

"Is that a trick question?"

She chuckled, kissing his chin. She waved her hand at his back, removing his shirt so she could finally touch him skin to skin too. Fair was fair. She gripped his shoulder tightly as he moved to kiss the side of her neck and throat. He licked along her collarbone to her shoulder from there and she gasped.

She slid the pads of her fingers along his back, neck, and shoulders. He stiffened a bit, clearly not altogether sure he wanted her touching him there in that way. She wondered if he allowed anyone to see him like this, especially after being bitten by that damned giant snake. She felt raised skin here and there, evidence of scars and blemishes. She hated that he thought that would bother her … lessen his appeal. She was pretty sure there wasn't a person who fought in and survived the war who didn't have scars. They might not all be physical ones, but they were there nonetheless.

She pushed a bit, taking him by surprise it seemed and she went with it, moving so he was lying on the bed and she was straddling him. She knew there was no way she'd get a strength advantage over him so he clearly wanted to see what she had in mind.

She looked her fill. It was dark and he'd put the lamps out. She imagined any lighter and he may not have liked her looking this closely at him. And then she was kissing his chest. The soaps that had been brought for her bath were floral, feminine. They'd been nice, nothing in her time she would have bought herself but appealing just the same. There was nothing feminine about the spicy, woodsy scent that overwhelmed her when she circled one of his nipples with her tongue.

His hands went to her hair, sliding through it as she worked her way lower along his chest and torso with her hands and her mouth. She circled his belly button, glancing up at him as she did. His abdominal muscles quivered a bit and she chuckled, brushing her cheek against his skin before waving her hand to remove his pajama bottoms, too.

She'd probably think later on the fact that Severus had pajama bottoms. She wasn't sure what she pictured, and maybe he'd brought them along for this trip expecting to need them.

"You are slightly more dressed than I am," he murmured.

"Well, are you a wizard or not?"

He chuckled then and she felt her body tingle from magic and the nightgown was gone, too.

She slid lower, coming to stop on either side of his knees. She didn't consider herself very good at this. Seduction in general or what she was about to do specifically. She couldn't say that she even particularly wanted to do this before now. It had been an expectation. Tit for tat.

She wasn't sure what it said as she slid her tongue over the tip of his cock but she very much wanted to taste and feel every inch of his. She licked and sucked, taking cues from the various sounds he made. She'd never realized how much guidance those utterances could provide until now.

Hearing him call her name with his voice laced with arousal was a turn on. She nipped at his thigh, licking the spot before kissing her way up along his hip and side to his chest. She found his mouth again and she groaned when she felt him lick her lips before deepening the kiss.

She found his ear, licking and nipping at the skin there.

"I want you in me, Severus," she whispered.

"You don't say," he said with a low laugh.

"Mm hmm. Hard and deep. Not fast, though."

"I think that I like the way you think."

"Well, take care of it," she quipped, nipping at his neck.

"You are sure?"

"Did I seem uncertain when I was giving you a blow job?"

"Well, put like that, no," he said with a soft scoff. "Hearing you say such things seems wrong."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I guess I didn't envision you talking about things like blow jobs."

"Well, I guess I never really have until now."

He spun them so she was under him, which made her gasp a bit and him laugh as a result.

"May I taste you first?"

"Really?" she asked. She knew she was blushing.

"This surprises you?"

"Well, yeah, no one has ever done that without me basically making them by withholding blow jobs."

"Imbeciles."

She didn't know what to say to that. She felt rather frustrated at times but it was what it was.

"I admit it's not something I've engaged in. Nor have I allowed anyone to do that to me. My experiences haven't really been about more than the actual deed. However, my lovely wife seems a good person to make an exception for both in receiving and giving."

"You think I'm lovely?"

He scoffed. "I do."

"Well then, how can I say no!"

He was far more thorough than she was. She felt a little bad about that, but she hadn't been entirely sure he wasn't going to push her away or laugh at her. Something. So, she'd gone for the direct hit.

She was fairly positive her breasts had never been paid so much attention to. And she never realized they could be a source of stimulation by themselves. There was definitely something to doing this with someone who wanted to know things.

He didn't need to do much more than swipe her clit with his tongue to set her off when he got there. She was so ready by the time he got to that point.

"It's not usually quite that easy," she murmured, almost embarrassed.

"You call that easy?" he said, placing a kiss at the top of her mons.

"Ha ha," she said.

"I look forward to learning all the ways we can make one another come undone, Hermione."

"Me, too. I want you in me now."

"I do like your honesty and forwardness. Don't ever change that."

"I'm glad you can appreciate it."

"You are probably the only woman in this time period telling her husband that."

"Yes, well, it can be our secret. Now shut up and fuck me, Severus."

He slid inside of her then and she gasped because he did exactly what she'd asked for earlier. Deep and hard. She clenched around him as she arched her hips, shifting against him to bring him even deeper.

"Yes," she murmured. He kissed her throat, nipping the skin there as he moved slowly inside of her.

His hands at her hips were gripping her tight, tight enough she wondered if she wouldn't have some finger shaped bruises when they were done. She watched him, a hand sliding along his shoulder as he moved inside of her. Doing his best to keep that deep and hard yet slow she so badly wanted tonight.

She leaned up, nipping his neck and then his ear. "You feel so good inside of me, Severus."

He groaned.

"Thick and hard inside of me. You fit perfectly."

"Yes," he hissed. "Knew I would."

"Did you?" she whispered.

"Yes. The first time you stooped down to pick up your quill from the floor. You'd taken your robes off…"

She remembered that. It was like two years ago.

"I'd never had such a thought about a witch."

"No," she whispered.

"No."

"And you wanted to feel my arse?"

"Yes."

She bit on her lower lip, thinking on that. "Well, you can feel it anytime you want now."

"I'm not sure that's true."

She laughed softly. He chose then to pull out of her a bit and slide back inside of her, causing her to gasp.

"Anytime you want so long as it doesn't interfere with our getting our task done here."

"Anytime I want might limit your ability to ever go outside, Hermione."

"Really?"

"Merlin, yes."

"Severus Snape has a randy side. Who knew?"

"I assure you I never did."

"Well, we have lots of time to explore that, yeah?"

"If you insist."

"Oh, I will. Again and again. I'm quite sure of it."

"I am here to serve."

She gave a soft laugh, kissing his neck. "Now, cast the charm and you can forget the slow part now."

"Thank Merlin," he murmured. She felt the charm take effect at her abdomen and then while the slow part fell to the wayside he was still very thorough.

"You realize this means I get two years to convince you not to divorce me when we get back?" he murmured against her shoulder when they were finished. They were laying together, her back against his front on their sides. Who knew Severus was a cuddler, too?

"If that's how you plan on convincing me I'd say we're both in for a very fun two years."

He chuckled. "Why did you do this?"

She shrugged, turning to glance at him over her shoulder.

"It was our wedding night. I wasn't going to have it start off in a bad way."

"Seriously, Hermione," he murmured, kissing her shoulder.

"Seriously, Severus. I wanted to. And it's out of the way. No elephant between us while we're sharing a bed. Should we or shouldn't we. You worrying that you put your hand on me while we were sleeping. I say we should. And often. And if you thought about it the first time you saw me pick up my dropped quill in the Time Room. Well, we have two years to make up for."

"Do I get to do more making up in the morning?"

"You plan on waiting that long to again?"

"We need to sleep."

"Says who! We can sleep when we get to Atlanta. We have three months to find out when Ashley Wilkes' birthday is. I have an itch that needs scratching and having someone to scratch it with me who's not selfish is a nice change. I'd like to thoroughly explore that."

"I think I might just take back all the insults I hurled your way about being insufferable in your search for knowledge."

"Oh? Only might?"

"We'll see if your enthusiasm for knowledge in this wanes."

She laughed. "Are you going to change how good you feel?"

"I should think not."

"Then I think you can be pretty assured my enthusiasm will stay consistent."

"Excellent. I assure you my enthusiasm is fed off yours. Now get some rest."

"You, too," she murmured.

"You are okay with us like this?"

She pressed her arse against him, and reached behind her sliding her hand along his bare hip under the covers. "More than."

Return to Top

Part 2 | Part 4

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com