***Chapter Twenty-Two***
January 2002

Severus huffed softly as he glanced from a very silent Harry to the fire they were sitting in front of. It was cold so he had to presume there was a reason his ward had braved the Scottish Highlands elements to come talk to him today. Yes, he could apparate here and his quarters now as headmaster were warmer than they had been for years, but it was still January in Scotland in a stone castle.

Harry had asked to see him specifying he wanted it to be a time Hermione was on campus. Severus had of course accommodated him. And now, he sat waiting for his charge to say whatever it was he came to say that he did not want his wife to hear.

"So, um, the year's going all right?" Harry asked, raking his fingers through his hair.

This only served to make it more unruly. There was no question whose son he was between the eyes and the hair. Severus had always assumed it was laziness on James' part that his hair always looked the way it did. He had come to find out over the years caring for Harry that was not the case. Well, maybe it was to some degree because Severus (and later Harry when he combed and styled his own hair) had managed to control it a bit.

"Yes," Severus replied, knowing he sounded cautious. Harry did not request a private conversation with him to discuss how his year as Hogwarts' headmaster was going.

"And Hermione?"

"Mm," he said with a nod. "She's fine, her pregnancy is progressing smoothly."

"Oh?" Harry seemed to perk up at that.

"Does that bother you?" Was that why he'd asked to see him without her here?

"No." His ward frowned a bit. He shook his head, eyes meeting Severus', as if wondering why he was asking that. "Why would it?"

Severus shrugged. "We haven't really talked about it." And they hadn't. Not really. He was told she was with child, Harry congratulated both of them, and that had been that. That didn't mean months later the other wizard wasn't feeling differently now than he had upon hearing the news.

"What's to talk about? You're married. Of course you're going to have children. I would be upset if you didn't. I mean, if you didn't want them, of course, but if you didn't thinking that it would bother me being the reason you didn't. You will be a good father. I will consider myself very lucky to gain a brother or sister."

"Thank you," Severus said.

Severus wondered how many people would mistake Harry for his child's parent and turned those thoughts off, though it would likely happen.

Silence.

"Harry. If you were looking for a conversation with just me, Hermione will be home shortly…"

"Yeah, I know. I just, um," he said. He stood then, walking to the other side of the room. He was fidgeting. His hands at his back and then in front of him and then crossing his arms at his chest.

"Harry," Severus said. He wasn't sure he'd ever seen the wizard this nervous and fidgety. "Really?"

"It's just, this isn't a conversation I ever imagined having with you."

"You and Viktor…"

His head shot up, surprise clearly depicted in those green eyes. Severus chuckled.

"Not exactly."

"Either you are or you are not. I'm not sure how not exactly comes into play."

"Why would you think that?"

"Because I have ears, you know. Our quarters were not as large as, say, Malfoy Manor."

"Oh," Harry said with a blush.

"So. Not exactly?"

"Well, I mean," Harry blushed even worse than he had been a moment ago and Severus chuckled.

"Yes, curiosity. I get it. You wouldn't be the first or the last, and aesthetically speaking you are both attractive wizards so it would make sense to settle those curiosities with one another especially given your closeness since your eighteenth birthday and the fact that your paths cross professionally more than occasionally."

"You've never said anything."

"What's to say, Harry? I've seen you spend time with Aiyanna as well, and I know that you are engaging in blush-worthy activities with her, as well. The three of you are adults, I've raised you not to be an arse so I presume they are aware of one another. So, whether your preference is wizards or witches I wouldn't judge you. If it's just curiosity, that's fine, too. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Uncle Lucius…"

"Yes, well, aren't you glad I'm your guardian and he is not?"

Harry was of course right. If Lucius Malfoy got even a whiff of a suggestion that his son had touched another wizard in a suggestive manner Draco would likely be disowned. Severus was very confident in that opinion. He was pretty certain Draco was aware of that being true as well. Not that Severus got the feeling his godson had such inclinations. If he was going to engage in curiosity-based behaviours, he always assumed those would be done with his ward. He'd expected it, in fact, when he noticed that Harry seemed to find both wizards and witches attractive.

"Yes," Harry said.

"So was that what you wanted to talk to me about?"

"Not really. I mean, sort of."

Again with the evasive answer. What was on his mind today?

"Well, go on then. My curiosity is more than piqued if it wasn't that nugget of juicy gossip."

Harry cleared his throat, shaking his head. He knew Severus wouldn't gossip about him nor would he take anything said by him wrong or badly. At least he hoped he did by now. "Well, you know that Aiyanna and I…"

"As I just mentioned, I do."

Harry had gone to America to see Hermione's friend more than once since their wedding almost a year and a half ago. As a professional quidditch player he had the means and time to do such things. Aiyanna had been finishing up her apprenticeship until recently, which meant she did not have as much time to go visiting.

"Well, uh, Viktor was there a couple of times, too. We realized we were both there at the same time and thought that it'd be cool to hang out. Aiyanna got along with him, too, at your wedding."

Severus nodded, sensing Harry wasn't really expecting him to respond. He'd seen that the three of them had been friendly. Draco, too, but it was clear Hermione's best friend gravitated toward the two wizards Hermione was actually fond of.

"We, um, just got one room. I assumed she'd go back to Ilvermorny, but evidently she'd told her professor she was taking the nights off."

"Mm," he murmured.

"There may have been some fire whiskey involved and I hadn't seen her in a while either time."

"Right," he said.

He closed his eyes, suspecting what was coming next. There were times he was grateful he wasn't in reality Harry's father. He couldn't imagine a son having this conversation with a father. Then what did he know about typical fathers and sons?

"And Viktor heard us I guess, and things led to…"

Silence and Severus found his ward's embarrassment almost amusing. When it was clear Harry wasn't going to say anymore, or didn't know what he should say Severus spoke up.

"So, the three of you then?"

"Uh, yeah," Harry said, sounding relieved Severus completed his thought process for him.

"Each time? And you liked it? It caused problems? She prefers Krum to you? He prefers her to you?"

"No! I mean, yes, we liked it. All three of us did. It has not caused problems and they do not prefer one another to me."

"Okay."

"We're not a couple. We've been very clear about that with one another. I don't think she wants that anymore than I do. I like her, but I'm not really sure I want that. A witch, I mean and even if that is what I want, I'm not there yet as far as marriage. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. She's just started teaching here this term and while we find one another attractive I don't think she wants anything serious either. I know everyone expects me to become an auror because of my parents, but I'm just not entirely sure that's where I want to be. Her career is just starting."

"I understand. You are fortunate in that you can take all the time that you need, and in the meantime you are doing something that you love and are passionate about. Not to mention you are good at it. As for Aiyanna, she would be a good match," Severus said. "If you decided to go down that road with her. You know I don't expect you to nor will Hermione be offended if you don't."

"We want to include him, regularly."

"Does he wish to be included?"

"Yes," Harry said.

"So, what is the problem?"

"Is that wrong? It wouldn't be all of the time or anything. You know, whenever we all were able, but the three of us…"

"Only you can decide if it's wrong. I think the three of you need to have a long talk without fire whiskey or a bed anywhere near you. You would have to have rules. Could she be with Viktor any time? Only with you present? What if she were to come up pregnant? What would you do if you were married to her and she became pregnant with Viktor's child? And vice versa? She is from my findings a good potioner so I'm not questioning the efficacy of her contraceptive potion. Clearly I wouldn't let her stock Poppy's infirmary with them if I thought they would fail. As your nights of fire whiskey and one room proves, spontaneity does happen from time to time."

"It would only be Viktor and me. With Aiyanna. Again, we're not serious."

"And Aiyanna finds this arrangement acceptable? Being invited when you want her and forgotten about when you don't?"

"She says she is. It's not as if we forget about her."

Severus was quiet then. It sounded as if they had talked about this. "What are you here for exactly, Harry?"

"Is it wrong?"

"I cannot answer that. It sounds as if you want an occasional trio to your duo, and your current preference for the partner of that duo is with Viktor. If all three of you are consenting and on the same page. What business is it of mine?"

"You wouldn't, like, disown me?"

Severus scoffed. He knew that Harry didn't truly believe he would do that. For one, he was over the age of majority, both in the wizarding and muggle worlds. Technically, his guardianship had ended in 1998. Severus would never say that and would never treat Harry any differently than he had the past nearly four years since he'd finished at Hogwarts.

Severus loved the wizard.

What was more, though, Harry was not really dependent upon Severus for anything. He had the Potter vault at Gringotts that he would have unlimited access to.

"I wouldn't disown you for any reason, Harry, certainly not due to your relationship status. You know this is true or we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You, of course, have your Potter vault."

"It's not about money. You're my family. Hermione is too. Aiyanna is her friend and she just got here after over two years of spending little time with one another."

"I think you, all three of you, should be very careful. One or two times could be called an accident or perhaps giving into curiosity. More than a few though," he shrugged. "That's no longer a curiosity. And what of this witch that you might in fact contemplate marrying one day. How will she feel as this goes on that she is being shared with your friend?"

"It was her idea! After the second weekend I mean."

So it had happened more than once or twice since then it sounded like.

"So, you're just looking for me to say go forth and be happy?"

"Kind of."

"I want you happy, Harry. If this arrangement is what will do that then great, but I truly strongly caution all three of you to think of what you're doing. I am accepting, and I imagine Hermione would be as well. However, many will not be. You mentioned Lucius. There are a lot still around with his mindset. If anyone were to find out, it could cost Aiyanna jobs and status in our world. Not that I would dismiss her for it, but if she finds Hogwarts is not to her liking. And if I got enough pressure from the Board, well my hands could be tied. Or teaching is not what she wishes to spend her life doing."

"Not Viktor?"

Severus scoffed. "I think not, but I guess I don't know his pedigree or potential well enough to comment," he shrugged.

"Why? I mean, look at Draco. You think if it was him instead of Viktor he'd be okay if anyone found out? I've heard rumours about Uncle Lucius…"

"You've heard the expression what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Well, it was a bit of a different … environment twenty to thirty years ago. Now, today, Lucius is very concerned about image, correcting the wrongs done years ago, and the Malfoy name."

"Would he disown him if he found out?"

"Likely, but I guess there's always a slim possibility, being his only son, he might not. I do not know for certain, and we're not talking about Draco. Are we?"

"No. Would my father, if he were here?"

"Doubtful. Ask Black or Lupin."


"No! I'm not telling anyone else."

"A sign you're ashamed?"

"No, a sign that it's no one else's business what we do in our bedrooms."

"Valid point. I wouldn't want anyone knowing what Hermione and I do either, and I can't answer that with any confidence. I would like to think that your father would accept you for who you are. And if Viktor and Aiyanna help make you who you are."

He walked up to him then and hugged him. Severus wasn't quite sure what to do with that. Harry hadn't hugged him since he was really just a boy. His wedding didn't count.

"Thank you. I just. I needed to say something. I don't like lying to you."

"Nor do I like you keeping things from me, Harry, but you are an adult. You do not need to disclose everything to me. And I wouldn't call withholding information of such a personal nature lying exactly."

"I know," he said, releasing him. "I wanted to. I guess I needed to make sure I'm not crazy."

"I'm not sure I can answer that. I just hope that all three of you truly think of it, and again discuss expectations."

"I know."

"Do you love them?"

"Yes," Harry said. He blushed then.

"What?"

"She wouldn't get pregnant by him."

"Oh?"

"Yes. He doesn't. We don't," he shrugged, blushing further. "He's been with me really not her and that seems to be his preference. I mean, they have touched and orally, but intimately…"

"I get the picture, Harry. You don't need to abase yourself any further. My only comment with that would be, is she prone to jealousy? Is he? To think that you prefer Viktor to her and she is simply your beard? They could both think that, perhaps rightfully so."

Harry smirked at that.

"What?"

"Just you talking about someone being a beard."

"Yes, well, I haven't lived under a rock my entire life."

"Thank you for listening and not judging."

"Who am I to judge anyone, Harry, least of all you? Your relationship whether just you and Viktor or Aiyanna included is not hurting anyone. Now if Aiyanna or Viktor were to marry someone else…"

"It would stop. We've already talked about that, as well as if one of the three of us just decide it's no longer what we want. Viktor and I love one another but not to the point of thinking we're a forever thing. Aiyanna is not interested in another witch joining us nor am I, truthfully. He's not dating anyone, though. He likes witches, clearly by his previous interest in Hermione. He just doesn't want one right now. I think Hermione not reciprocating made him question himself a bit."

Severus nodded. He could understand that. It was hard to get over someone you have feelings for. Severus had more than first hand experience with this. Viktor hadn't done anything wrong either. Hermione just did not return his interest.

"Well, as long as it's discussed. I won't deny I still think there's the potential for someone, more than one someone, to get hurt no matter how much you think you've thought of everything that could cause pain."

"You're right," Harry said.

"And what of Aiyanna's career?"

"What do you mean?"

"How are the three of you going to manage discretion while she's teaching here at Hogwarts, or anywhere? As open minded as I may be, believe me when I say most of the wizarding world will not be. It will be her reputation to suffer most. You know that as well as I do."

"Well, the three of us wouldn't be here. Not to say he'd never come here to visit. He does still care for Hermione, you know. And we're friends. So his being here wouldn't be odd or cause people to think anything other than Viktor Krum, quidditch player and longtime friend of Harry and Hermione, is visiting Hogwarts. That would be reserved for our home."

"You are purchasing one?"

"I am waiting until I decide what I want to do. I may not even stay in Britain, but yes eventually. For now, it would be at my flat or Viktor's."

"That pleases me. That you want to purchase a home, I mean."

"Really?"

"Yes. If there's one thing I regret about our situation it is that I did not do better for you as far as a home went."

"I lived at Hogwarts, Severus. How much better could you get?"

"I'm not talking about Hogwarts."

"You held onto it because of Hermione. I get that and I would have done the same thing if I was in your position. It's not like I had a bad experience growing up there. You did. I have no bad memories associated with Spinners End, and I'd like to think the past twenty of them spent with me have made up for the twenty you had there without me."

"They have."

The time with Hermione was doing that, too, though he had to admit he was ready to move on. She was here, he had no reason to live there any longer. He wasn't sure he'd ever get rid of it. He liked the security of it being unknown to anyone but the four of them: Severus, Hermione, Harry, and his mum.

"Then we're good. You have given me something to think about, though, as far as if someone were to find out. I don't want either of them to suffer."

"Mm," he said.

"You're going to tell Hermione, aren't you?"

Severus chuckled. "You can't deny she might have some insight that I do not. She is a witch and knows Aiyanna."

"True."

"Harry, your happiness should not be contingent on what others will do if they find out. Yes, it should be discussed and taken into consideration. I've never taught you to run away from a situation. However, there is more than just you involved and she may not recover from a scandal. It doesn't sound as if she has the financial means that the Potters come with. Viktor as well seems more than slightly self-sufficient."

"I know."

"And while I care for Aiyanna given Hermione's affection for her, you are my priority. You always will be, second now to Hermione but equal to this child or any others that may come after. Don't ever doubt that either. Now, if the three of you go into things realizing that one day Aiyanna might be married to someone else and then it will be just you and Viktor, or vice versa I suppose. As long as you can accept that. However, if your heart lies with the wizard and you only think that Aiyanna is the path you should be taking because decorum or propriety says so."

"No."

"Well, then, I am always willing to listen to you even if it's something that makes me uncomfortable. I am not mad nor am I disappointed in you."

Harry chuckled. "I appreciate that. Really."

"Good. I wish you luck, Harry, truly."

"I know, thank you. We're not rushing into anything committed or planned to this point. We're thinking of something we can do over Easter holidays. I'm not sure if all three of us would be together the whole time or not yet."

"You'd like to get there one day, though."

"Yes."

"Just ensure Aiyanna understands your endgame is Viktor, or a wizard if that's where your preferences lie."

"I will. She knows right now that's where my mindset is, but yes, you're right."

The rest of their conversation wasn't nearly as serious. They talked of quidditch and children since Severus had mentioned the possibility of more than one.



"Did I see Harry in the halls?" Hermione asked when she joined him in their rooms.

"You very well could have, yes," Severus said.

The quarters offered to the headmaster were far more luxurious than he'd had as a professor. She missed dinner, which was nothing new. She preferred doing as much of her schoolwork on campus. She felt there were too many distractions here at Hogwarts. He couldn't blame her, and he knew he himself was a distraction at times. The luxurious headmaster quarters enabled her to get a reasonable dinner whatever time she got home and enjoy it at a table where she was comfortable, separate from their work. Tonight, though, he would delay her dinner just a bit longer.

"His back was too me, but the hair," she said with a soft laugh.

"Yes, it is rather distinguished, isn't it?"

"He was here to see you, not Aiyanna?"

"I suspect he was heading to see her from here."

"Oh. Good. Everything's all right?" she asked.

"It is, yes. Would you care to walk with me?"

"Yes. Do I need to put my robes on?"

"I should think not. Students are used to you in your muggle jeans by now."

"You just like looking at my ass."

"Well, that is a definite bonus as it is the finest arse I've been privy to looking at, but I have never required you to put robes on."

"I know, but I know you have an image and as your wife…"

"Yes, well, my wife is attending muggle university. You will need a coat, though."

"Oh, that kind of walk?"

"Indeed."

He followed her to their room, watching as she traded the blue jeans he was fond of her wearing for a pair of trousers and a heavy cloak that she used for their walks outside this time of the year. Boots, hat, scarf, and gloves completed the preparation for a walk in Scotland in January.

"So what has you seeking the privacy of Hogwarts' grounds this evening?" she asked.

"Were you aware that Harry, Aiyanna, and Viktor…"

"Yes and no."

"Explain."

"Was I aware? Did anyone tell me? No, but I had my suspicions."

"And you said nothing?"

"I wasn't going to ask them as it isn't any of my business. What would you have me say without proof or confirmation? I think that maybe your ward, my best friend, and the wizard who brought me to Harry's birthday party to see you for the first time might be having sex?"

"Well, I suppose not, no. How did you know?"

"Mm, I recognize Viktor's owl."

He nodded. Of course she would, and that knowledge did not bother him. Much. It did a little, but he was glad his witch had someone she could talk to in the way she and Viktor had over the years. Friends. Confidantes, each knowing it wasn't going to end up in a gossip column somewhere.

"And I know that the three of them have spent some weekends together. Does this bother you? I admit it's not my cup of tea. I told you that morning after our first time that I hadn't meant what I said about Harry joining us."

"I remember," he said.

"Good," she shrugged. "They're not hurting anyone and none of them are committed to any of the other of them."

"Not at all. Harry came to talk to me today. Worried, I guess that he was keeping something rather monumental from me."

"Mm, right."

"And concerned I would disown him."

"And you said?"

"Of course I wouldn't. If he's happy, whether that's Viktor, Aiyanna, or neither of them."

"I think it's Viktor."

"What makes you say that?"

She shrugged. "I've seen the way they look at one another. I've seen the way he looks at me and other witches."

"Which he are we speaking of?"

"Viktor. There's a part of me that wonders if he was ever pursuing me at all. Initially, I was thirteen when we met so I think I was safe because he knew nothing could happen but that I was someone … acceptable to be seen with. And how cute, they met when she was thirteen and he was smitten with her enough to wait until she was legal."

"I could see that."

"I don't know much about Durmstrang, I remember bits of what Viktor told me, but I don't get the sense with their predeliction to the dark arts that same sex relationships would have been encouraged."

"You would be correct. I'm not sure Hogwarts would to be honest either. I don't care, but as a general rule."

"I get it. He can be with Harry and it's no big deal. It's Viktor Krum hanging out with The Boy Who Lived. As far as I know Aiyanna has only been associated with Harry casually. As friends. I don't think anyone thinks they're a couple or anything."

"Correct."

"So, no one's going to think that the three of them are involved."

"You are correct. He's been quite careful until now, and I think traveling for quidditch has enabled him to have some freedom and to engage in some dalliances he wouldn't have risked taking here in Britain."

She stopped walking then and turned to look at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he said with a slight scowl.

"No, I mean with this."

"I am still fine. Do I think that he is embarking on a path that may make things difficult for him? Possibly, but it is not my choice to make nor is it my place to attempt to change him if that's where his preferences lie. You had no inkling previously?"

"No, he was quite enamoured with Ginny."

Severus scowled, shaking his head. "A nice enough witch, don't get me wrong, but she chased after him endlessly her first year."

"Interesting she was still fond of him despite not knowing him from Ron."

"It is," he said. "I am glad they have us, all three of them."

He slid his arms around her and she rested her head against his chest. He exhaled as he kissed the top of her head, a small puff of breath visible due to the temperature.

"And you wonder why I think you'll make a good father," she whispered.

"Mm," he said. "How is our little, what is it now, peanut?"

"I think it's a little bigger than that now, but we're fine."

"And we still don't know whether we need pink or blue blankets?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"You know?"

"I met with health services on campus and then Poppy to confirm."

He stiffened at that. Why was she wanting to confirm? "Is there something wrong? Are you all right?"

She smiled, leaning up to kiss him. "I am fine. We are fine. It's just," she shrugged.

"What? Hermione? What?"

"We will need two blue blankets."

"Two?"

"Mm," she said.

"Two boys?"

"Yes."

"And you are sure?"

"Severus. Yes. That's why I saw Poppy after campus health services. She thought she heard two heartbeats on the doppler. You know what that is?"

"Not really, but I get the idea if she used it to listen to heartbeats."

She nodded. "Remind me to show you the memory when we get inside. Anyway, I saw Poppy just wanting to be sure."

"Merlin, Hermione. Two? Are you all right?"

She laughed softly. "Yes, I'm fine. It doesn't change anything, though Poppy said I should count on them coming a little sooner than that August seventh due date she gave us originally."

"How much earlier?"

"Well, if you know a way to determine that, please let me know!"

"Smart arse. Did she in her medical opinion say how much sooner?"

"She said probably mid to late July."

He waved his hand to part the buttons on her coat and rested his hand against her abdomen.

"Twins?"

"Yes."

"Are you okay with this?" he asked, knowing neither had expected twins. Never in a million years would he have entertained the notion of twins being a possibility. Of course it was always a possibility. He knew that.

"What kind of question is that, Severus?"

"It's a legitimate question about your mental state in finding out that we are going to have two babies to take care of at the same time."

"I'm fine, Hun. Am I scared to death? Yes, but I'm not the first to have twins."

He nodded, glad they were on the same page. It was frightening!

Two babies.

Two children.

Two sons!

Would they be identical? Would they look like him? Or like her? A mix of both?

"I was thinking maybe I could talk to Molly Weasley. She has Fred and George and her brothers were twins. Are twins, I suppose. So, I was thinking I could seek her out, indicating you mentioned she had twins in addition to other children. As well as her brothers."

"That would be something I might do, yes," he admitted. It wasn't that long ago George and Fred were students here either. "I'd think I would think of her over the Patils or certainly the Carrows."

"Well, and since I have met Ron now I could say that I felt comfortable approaching someone's mother who I'm at least familiar with."

He nodded.

"You liked them," he said, regarding her as his hand slid along her as of yet still flat abdomen.

"I did. They were good to Harry and me. They always treated us like family."

"Then absolutely. I will, in fact, send her an owl indicating you may seek her out so she knows to expect you."

"Thank you," she said.

"Thank you."

She laughed softly, grabbing his wrist but not to pull his hand away from her abdomen or anything.

"What are you thanking me for, silly man?"

"For not cursing my bullocks off."

"Well, if the next pregnancy is twins I may."

"The next one?"

"Well, you know, hypothetically speaking."

"That you would even entertain the idea humbles me."

"I don't want a brood."

"Nor do I."

She nodded.

"Are we done talking about Harry Potter's love life?"

"I think so. I just wanted to tell you and preferred doing so away from prying ears."

"I appreciate it. I'm sorry I didn't confide my suspicions to you. I just didn't feel it was necessary, or my place."

"I understand. It must be somewhat difficult for you."

"Mm, yes, he's not my best friend yet the desire to protect him and keep his secrets is still there."

"It's one of the reasons I love you as much as I do."

"Well, let's go find some food for me and your sons and then we can work on recalling how we made them."

"You mean you don't remember?"

"Well, you know, pregnancy brain I've heard is a thing. And there's two of them I'm serving as host to."

He smirked, grazing her forehead with a kiss. "I will gladly show you every night until July or August so you remember."

"That is excellent to hear. I may very well take you up on that offer."

Return to Top

Part 21 | Part 23

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com