***Chapter Twenty-One***
July 2001

"Hermione?"

"Mm. Yes, honey," she said.

"Wrong wizard," Harry said with a laugh.

"Oh," she said, raising her eyes to see Harry standing there, not her husband. "I'm sorry, Harry."

Her apology was met with a shrug.

"It's okay. You didn't even watch our match," he said, gesturing at the quidditch pitch that was now devoid of activity.

She had intended on watching the match. She really had. She knew Harry wanted her to. She'd made the mistake of bringing work with her, though. She should have just left it in her office.

"I know, Harry, I'm sorry," she said with a frustrated sigh. She hated disappointing him. "I just started thinking…"

"And had to write it all down. I know," he said with a nod. He may not know her as well as she knew him but he'd learned pretty fast she had certain … quirks.

She sighed again, closing her notebook and sliding her quill through the makeshift bun in her hair. "I also don't understand why you want to play quidditch on your day off."

"Why do you want to write textbooks when you're not in school?"

"Well, because it's what I love to do."

Harry stared at her, saying nothing, and she mouthed ‘oh'.

"Right," he said. He sat on the spot next to her. "So, I, uh, wanted to introduce you to someone. That was kind of why I invited you to come watch us, but since you didn't even watch it'll truly be a surprise."

"Okay," she said. "A witch? I'm not going to get mad at you because things didn't work out with Aiyanna."

"No, uh, I actually saw her a couple of weeks ago. We're friends, nothing more really, but maybe one day when we're both further out of school. I want to play for a little while longer yet. Quidditch I mean, not like the field. I just want to be sure before I get involved with anyone. You know?"

He blushed then and Hermione smiled with a nod. She completely understood, and didn't want him to think she was asking him to account for his actions. She was admittedly surprised Aiyanna caught his attention at all. He didn't like Ginny in this timeline, but he had once before. He'd also liked, oh what was her name. Cho Chang! Yes, that was it. So, maybe Aiyanna wasn't that out of the question. Maybe he didn't have a type, Ginny then just happened to be a witch who looked like his mum who he fell for.

"Oh, good, yes, I do know," Hermione said. "I mean, that's good."

"So, no, not her. It's a friend I made at one of my games. He plays for Chudley, and we ran into one another the night before our match at a pub."

"Okay," she said, heart beating fast. Did he say Chudley? Or had she heard wrong?

Harry waved his hand, his attention still on Hermione. Looking for recognition?

"We knew one another from Hogwarts. Same year, same house, but he wasn't overly fond of Draco. I'd been friends with him for so long that I just didn't care to broaden my horizon. You know?"

"I do," Hermione said, looking in the direction of the approaching wizard.

"Hermione Snape," Harry said once Ronald got to where they were sitting. "This is Ron Weasley."

"So, you're Snape's wife. Not quite what I was expecting," he said, offering her his hand.

She took it, unable to take her eyes off of him. He probably thought she was horribly rude, but that couldn't be helped. The last memory she had of him, he was still at that not quite a man but no longer a boy stage. Now at twenty-one there was no doubt he was a man. She'd thought for a while this would be the wizard she was going to marry. Well, that Hermione had. And yet she'd pursued dropping not so subtle hints to Severus that she had a crush on him. So she must not have been completely enamoured with him.

Say something or he's going to think you're scatterbrained or something.

"That would be Headmaster or Professor Snape, but yes, I am Madam Snape. Or Hermione will suffice since you're a friend of Harry's."

"Right, all right then, Hermione. I saw you over here studying, should have known I guess you'd be married to him."

"Thank you, I think," she said, offering a wry smile. "How long have you been playing for … Chudley, is it?"

"Yeah, um, just this season. My sister, Ginny, she plays for the Harpies."

"Oh? Good for her," Hermione said, glancing at Harry. Still no apparent interest in Ginny Weasley. Interesting. She really wondered what the difference was. Was it just because he wasn't friends with Ron this time? Or was it because he had contact with Severus, Remus, and Sirius who all knew and told him about his mum so someone looking like her wasn't attention-grabbing?

"Harry says you go to university?"

"I do, I'm studying history."

"You must really like to read."

"I do," she said, smiling. "And research."

"I could have used someone like you when I was a student here," he said, gesturing to Hogwarts. "I never could keep very organized about what was due when."

Hermione sniggered, she couldn't help it. Oh the irony, based on the memories she had of him imploring her to stop trying to help him study.

"Yes, that can happen, but you made it."

"Yeah, I suppose," he said, shrugging. "Say, Harry, the others were talking about going to the Three Broomsticks for a pint or two. You interested, mate?"

"Yeah, sure, I'll catch up with you in a minute."

"Nice to meet you, Ronald," Hermione said, offering him a polite wave.

"You, too," he said with a polite nod.

Ron ran to catch up with the others who were there to spend their day playing quidditch.

"He's actually not so bad," Harry said.

Hermione laughed softly. It just sounded so funny coming from him. "No, he's not."

"A little annoying and obnoxious at times."

"He can be."

"Severus says the three of us…"

"Yes," she said simply.

"Well, I just thought you might like to see that he's, you know, okay too."

"I very much appreciate it, Harry," she said, reaching over to hug him. "Thank you."

"You know what's really weird?"

She snorted against his shoulder. What could be weirder than her just having met Ron?

"What?"

"Severus said you and me, we were like siblings."

"Yes."

"But here, now, you're like my step-mom."

"Okay. I mean, I guess you're right but I'd never act that way."

"Who's my age."

"Right," she said, unable to argue with him. He was technically correct. She'd never act like that, though.

"And who is presumably going to give me step-siblings."

"Yes," she said. "One day, I imagine. I'd like to finish school first if that's all right?"

He nudged her and laughed. "Yeah, that's all right."

"I'm very glad."

"I know Severus doesn't want to wait too long."

"I know he doesn't," Hermione said.

They hadn't talked about a time table, but she knew he didn't want to be fifty when they had their first child. She could understand his reasoning.

"I'm going into my last year and it's a rather light year. Just some classes I couldn't fit in last year with the double major. I have the Muggle Studies and Potions textbooks to my name. I was thinking of taking a break from textbooks."

"Oh?"

"And writing a history book on the war."

He was surprised, but not in a bad way. She knew his mannerisms well enough to know that.

"I think you'd be the perfect person to do such a thing."

"Would you help me? You could give me a Hogwarts perspective of things this far removed from the war."

"You know I would."

"Thank you, Harry. And I was thinking." She knew she was blushing here. She'd been thinking about this, but hadn't said it outloud yet. "Well, maybe we could start trying."

"Rita Skeeter is really going to hate you."

"Oh?" What did Rita Skeeter have to do with a book on the war or her and Severus having a baby?

"You don't read her articles about you and Severus?"

"I try to avoid them."

"Oh, well, she's convinced you're a gold-digging harpy who is going to have a son with him and then divorce him for his vast fortune that she's certain he's hoarded away instead of spending it on me the past twenty years. Or kill him. I'm not entirely sure she knows what she thinks your endgame is. It changes on occasion."

"Ah. I guess I've missed those pieces by her. I think maybe my husband has ensured that's the case."

Harry chuckled, shaking his head a bit. "Yeah, I suppose he might do something like that."

She smirked a bit at that. Both knew Severus would do exactly that. She had a card to play, though, if Rita Skeeter got out of hand.

"I can take care of Rita Skeeter if she tries anything, Harry. Don't worry."

"Oh, I have no doubt that you can, Hermione."

She drew away from his shoulder then and kissed his cheek. "Go have your pints with the boys. And Harry, I'm glad you gave him a chance."

"I am, too. I mean, I don't think we'll ever be inseparable, but he is funny and we get along. I wasn't going to go out searching for him, but the opportunity presented itself and I thought I'd see what he was like. I could see why, you know under those circumstances, that would have been a good thing for you and me. Humor. Lightheartedness. Friendship. It sounds like I wasn't swimming in those things."

"Yeah," she said, nodding as she bit her lower lip. "Have fun."

She collected her things then once Harry went to join the others. She could have gone, too, she knew. There was at least one witch among their group these days. Pints at the Three Broomsticks just really wasn't her thing. She went with the staff during the school year because it got her out of the castle. And she had to admit Pomona, Minerva, and Rolanda were pretty fun to be out with.

"Did you know that Harry and Ronald are friends?" Hermione asked later that night in bed.

"No," he said. "If he mentioned it I guess it didn't register. That bothers you?"

"No, actually, I'm glad that they are. I mean, I'm glad Harry grew up so differently that he didn't need Ronald, but he was a good friend to him. Harry was to Ronald, too. Ronald got sort of lost in the shuffle. You know? Ginny coming a year after him. Harry and I were his."

"Everyone needs that."

"Yes."

"And you don't think Draco is truly that?"

"Do I think Draco would lay down his life for Harry? No."

"I'm not so sure Ronald Weasley would either."

She hit his arm as she moved to turn away from him. "Smart ass."

"Yes, well, you wouldn't love me if I was any other way."

"No, I wouldn't."

"And I know what you are trying to say, Hermione. Perhaps that friendship will come in time."

"Maybe. I just don't see Harry and Draco sitting down and having heart to hearts about Aiyanna or whoever."

"Well, that would be because they both like her."

"They do not!" She turned to face him again. "Really?"

"You know, for being so smart you are incredibly clueless when it comes to affairs of the heart."

"Well, I knew Harry liked her, but Draco? Really? I mean, I guess she's pureblood and gorgeous, but I could just imagine him showing up on their doorstep with her. His parents would think she's incredibly unrefined. And I mean because she's an American, not because she's Native American.'

"I tend to agree, which is why I was not surprised she gravitated toward Harry at our wedding, not Draco."

She had noticed both wizards asking her best friend to dance now that he said that. She'd just chalked it up to them being nice.

"Severus?" she asked.

"Yes."

"When do you want to try for a baby?"

"Well, I sort of assumed that would be up to you."

"I'm asking when you want to."

"Well, you should be done with school at least, so another year." He shrugged. "I'd rather not be fifty with Harry ten years out of the house."

"That's your only stipulation?"

"Pretty much. I mean, you're working on ideas that would allow you to work for yourself, independently, without having to be accountable to a boss or anything."

"Yes."

"So, I'd think anytime. Why?" He slid a hand along her thigh. She couldn't ignore the jolt of excitement that washed through her at his touch. He knew it, too. He found her ear and whispered, "are you wanting to try?"

"Around Halloween."

"Halloween?"

"Yes," she said.

"It's July. That's months from now. What has you thinking about this today?"

"Harry mentioned it. It got me thinking, I guess," she shrugged. "You know that here I am kind of his best friend who's really his more or less step-mom going to give him step-siblings."

"Mm," he said. "I imagine he wants us to have ours first so my grandchildren aren't playing with my children, though they will anyway no matter when either he or we start."

"Would you let them call you Grandpa?"

"That would be up to Harry. By this point I think I've nothing left to prove that I am not in love with Lily Potter nor did I take on the task of raising her child as some sort of way to keep hold of her."

"I know you have, and just by the way in case I miss any more articles Rita Skeeter writes about me or us."

"Yes, Dear?"

She chuckled. He wasn't surprised she knew. Did he know Harry told her about them? "She's an unregistered animagus."

"She is not?"

Oh, he didn't know!

"Yes, she is. A beetle."

"I will bear that in mind."

"Are you happy?"

She asked a short while later. Thinking of Rita, and the fact she'd kept her in a jar for months had her thinking about that timeline.

"What kind of question is that, Hermione?"

She leaned up, looking at him. "That we went ahead with our plan. Are you happy?"

"The only thing I regret is that for whatever reason the scars you earned in that life had to be yours in this life. I know all but the one on your arm has faded to the point of not being noticeable. It's not because they bother me, they do not. I know you have seen in my mind to know that they truly do not, but I know that they bother you. I know you worry one day Lucius or someone will see your arm. I hate that you live with that fear."

"Will it be terrible if they do find out?"

"That you're muggleborn?"

"Yes, I'm not sure how they'd find out the rest, unless they give Harry Veritaserum."

"They could give me Veritaserum."

"They could, but it wouldn't work. You and Albus worked on ensuring you were immune to it."

"That was years ago, Hermione, I'm not sure…"

"You can't tell me that you haven't continued…"

He sighed and she giggled softly. He'd never told her he still kept up on that, but she knew he would. He was that kind of man. "I won't tell a soul."

"It likely wouldn't change anything at this point. Who knows? I don't care. If I had to choose between you and the Malfoys, any of them, I'd choose you every day for the rest of my life."

"That's very sweet. I'd choose you, too," she said, running a finger along his jaw.

"My only stipulation," he said.

"For what? Dealing with Rita or the Malfoys?"

"No, for children."

"Oh, okay."

"No Albus, Percival, Wulfric, Brian, or any variations thereof."

"I think I can abide by those terms."

"Fantastic."

He was teasing, she knew that. Neither had any plans on naming a child after Albus. She bit her lower lip as she regarded him. There were times it was incredibly hard to believe she was here with him. Married to him. Talking about having a child with him within the next two years. She got tears in her eyes, blinking them away as she thanked Hogwarts for giving them this chance. For giving him the opportunity to have a good life (relatively speaking) leading up to their meeting. She felt acknowledgement wash through her, wishing she'd understand how the castle worked.

"Would you like to practice for October, dear husband?"

"You know I would," he murmured, shifting them both to do just that.

Return to Top

Part 20 | Part 22

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com