***Chapter Twenty-Three***
June 2002

"And you are sure you do not wish for me to stay?"

Hermione smiled at his offer, appreciating it very much. She knew he'd rather do anything but join her in this outing. He'd do it, though. If she said she needed him to.

"And do what? Listen to Molly talk about how to breastfeed twins?"

The slight blush on his cheeks at that question made her love him even more. He was no doubt embarrassed to react in such a fashion.

"Well, I do not know what I will need to know."

"If you want to stay, you can. I only suggested you take me because while I know where the Burrow is she would likely wonder how I know."

"I understand. I will take my leave then and count on you to pass on any knowledge I may need to assist you."

She hadn't bothered to get any robes as her pregnancy got far enough along that she couldn't wear the ones she had any longer. She transfigured as best as she could for a while but then as these two grew and grew she gave up even trying. If someone wanted to get after her for wearing pants that not only fit but were comfortable and oversized tops. Well, they'd get a piece of her mind.

No one had said anything to this point. Lucky. No one in this timeline had seen a pissed off Hermione Granger.

She had owled Molly Weasley earlier in the week to see if stopping by today would be convenient.

It was, the witch replied.

They apparated to the Burrow and Severus walked with her toward the front door. She gasped at the sight of it.

"My memories do not do it justice," she murmured.

"They couldn't come close," he said with a chuckle.

"But it's a loving home."

He nodded. "You are right, I've never heard anything but. Unlike mine."

"That's not what I meant, Severus. I just meant they fill it inside with what matters most. You have filled that home with love. With Harry and now with me, and these two," she said, patting her very pregnant abdomen.

"I appreciate you saying so."

"It's true."

He knocked on the door when they got to it, squeezing her hand. She was nervous about this meeting, seeing this woman she had memories of but nothing real to compare her or them to since she hadn't met her yet.

"Molly," Severus said when the matriarch of the Weasley clan opened the door.

"Headmaster Snape," she said.

"Severus, please. This is a social visit and you no longer have any children at Hogwarts. May I present my wife, Hermione Snape. I appreciate you taking the time to meet with her."

Hermione extended her hand, happy to let Severus do the talking while she took Molly in.

Fred was alive.

Gideon and Fabian Prewett were alive.

Percy hadn't been estranged.

Bill wasn't scarred.

Arthur wasn't bitten by Nagini.

These were things she had to remember when she wondered sometimes if they'd done the right thing. She had little doubt they had, but second guesses came into play occasionally. She wouldn't be human she didn't think if they didn't.

What they'd done had helped this family. And it was a good family. They didn't have tons of money as the Malfoys did and some might say their children suffered from having to wear robes handed down brother to brother.

"It's nice to meet you, Molly."

"You as well. Come in, Dear. I had just started some tea. Are you joining us, Severus?"

"No, my wife seems to think this is a conversation I do not need to be privy to. She just needed to be able to get to your house."

"Oh, right," Molly said with a nod. "Well, it was nice to see you."

"Likewise," he said with a polite bow of his head.

He gave her a polite kiss, squeezing her hand again.

You are all right?

She nodded simply and he turned then to leave as she crossed over the threshold into a house that she had many pleasant memories of for the first time in this time.

She glanced at the clock, wanting to see it for some reason. No one was in danger. No one had really been in any danger. Charlie, she supposed, working with dragons.

"I love your home," she said.

"You are being very kind."

"No, I truly do. You have raised seven children here and from what Severus tells me they are all good, productive members of society. I met Ronald about a year ago I suppose. Your children are clearly loved. That's why of the people Severus mentioned to me he knew of with twins I chose to speak with you."

"Well, sit I will get tea."

"I can help…"

"Nonsense. You are due soon. Sit, put your feet up. As you say, I raised seven children. I can manage tea for two."

"I didn't mean to insult you, Mrs. Weasley, or suggest that you couldn't."

"You didn't. I appreciate your offer. And please call me Molly."

She followed Molly to their living room and looked at the various photos there. So Bill had still ended up with Fleur. Interesting. She saw the smiling faces of all of them and smiled, waving as they waved to her.

"You have a granddaughter?" she asked, gesturing to who was obviously Bill and Fleur's daughter.

"Yes. Octavie," she said.

"Lovely name," Hermione said.

She took a seat then, shifting uncomfortably. Not because of the furnishings but because it was just uncomfortable doing much of anything these days. And she had another six weeks of this. Less more than likely she realized.

"Before we get on the topic of twins and babies," Hermione said. She gestured to the photographs. "Please tell me about them."

"Which one?" Molly asked.

"All of them," she said.

Bill was still a curse breaker.

Charlie was still working with dragons.

Percy was at the Ministry.

Fred and George had a joke shop. She knew that because Severus did potions for them sometimes. They also came to him a time or two for opinions on things.

Ronald was playing quidditch.

Ginevra was playing quidditch, too.

There were photographs of other children, too, all red-headed so she assumed were Molly's nieces and nephews. These faces were new, people Hermione had no memories of.

They had not existed.

She touched on each of them, though, sounding just as proud of them as she obviously was her own children.

So much time had passed as they talked (not all of it about labour or babies) that Arthur ended up coming home and that was a treat in and of itself to Hermione. He seemed tickled to meet Severus' wife.

It was shortly before dinnertime when she sent her Thunderbird patronus to Severus, informing him that she was staying for dinner with the Weasleys and if he wanted to join them he would be welcome. It was Saturday evening, so he wouldn't be as missed at dinner if he chose to join them.

His eagle arrived a short while later and said that he would indeed join them.



It was after ten o'clock when they returned to Hogwarts. Their bellies were full and she liked to think he had just as nice of a time as she had. Arthur had taken him aside for a while, and Hermione wagered that the man imparted some husbandly and fatherly wisdom onto him.

"So, sleep when they let you sleep and use the house elves help?" Severus said later in bed.

"Pretty much. We don't have an eight year old son to help."

"I suppose that we don't. We do have Harry."

"We do, and I know he will be thrilled to help but he's not living with us."

"I suppose that is true," he murmured.

He rested his hand against her abdomen once she got comfortable on her left side as she did each night.

"Did you have a nice day then?" he asked.

"Yes, actually. We sat in their living room, and I asked her to tell me about each of her children. And then she told me about her nieces and nephews."

"Whom of course never existed for you before."

"They did not."

"I am glad that the afternoon was a good one and not uncomfortable. I know you were apprehensive about meeting her."

"I was. And then when Arthur came home," she said, settling her hand over his at her abdomen and squeezing.

"He's a good man. They're good people."

"They are," she agreed. "She told me not to get upset if I can't feed them in tandem, but I don't want to spend every waking moment feeding them," she said.

Severus chuckled softly, brushing his cheek and nose against her hair and ear.

"You laugh.  They eat for twenty-thirty minutes every two to three hours at first, Severus. Two of them. So that's forty-sixty minutes every two to three hours."

"I know. I'm not laughing at you. It's just, she made it work and obviously others have."

"I might go shopping tomorrow."

"Oh?"

"See if there's anything at a muggle baby store that might help with that."

"Do you need money? Do you wish for me to go with you?"

"I could use some money I suppose, and you don't need to go with me. I know shopping isn't your thing."

"I would go with you if you want me to, Hermione."

"I know. I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists because I don't know what I'm looking for, but there are things muggles are a little more modern about. And it has been twenty years since Molly had her twins."

"You are right, on both counts. Remind me in the morning and I will give you whatever you think you need."

She chuckled low, sliding her hand behind her to his hip and thigh.

"Anything?"

"If you think you need that, too, yes."

"Excellent. I love starting my morning off that way."

"No more than I do, I assure you."

"You just like it because you can only be behind me anymore."

"You caught me."

She pressed her bum against him, brushing it along his pelvis.

"I like it, too."

"You don't say," he quipped, kissing her ear.

"Mm, I wouldn't lie to you about that."

"Do I have to wait until morning?"

"You know you don't."

"I am an incredibly lucky man having such an agreeable wife. A more perfect way to end and then start my day I cannot envision," he said, waving his hand so both of their clothes were gone. She gasped, not that she wasn't expecting it, but she loved the feel of his magic on her. She didn't notice it with others, like when she and Harry were dueling last year, so she wasn't sure what exactly it meant.

She didn't care. His magic against her skin aroused her just as much as the rest of him did and she loved showing him that was true almost as much as he seemed to like being shown.

Return to Top

Part 22 | Part 24

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com