***Chapter Seventeen***

He hadn't told her where they were going, or given her a hint on how to dress. So she went with a skirt and top that wasn't formal, but was good enough for something nice if that's where they were going. When she opened the door at the sound of the doorbell, she realized she'd dressed appropriately. He wasn't wearing a suit, but wasn't wearing denims and a T-shirt either. She wasn't sure she'd ever seen him in muggle clothes. Yesterday, he'd obviously come to her house from Hogwarts, so was wearing his robes.

He looked a bit uncomfortable before he leaned down to kiss her. She smiled at that. There was something … endearing about him being nervous or uncertain. As if he wasn't certain her parents weren't going to be there to torture him or something.

"I look okay?" she asked. He wasn't the only one who was nervous! And she had no idea what she was dressing for!

"You do."

"Good," she said.

"Your parents are aware we're leaving?"

"Yeah. I mean, they expect me home tonight at some point."

He gave a soft chuckle.

"I have no plans on absconding with you, so it shouldn't be difficult to stay within their expectations on that."

"Well, I'm not sure if I should say that's too bad or not."

"I think, for our first date, it's a sufficient answer."

"You're right. You are ready?" It was kind of a silly question since he was the one picking her up, but she was ready to go. She'd been thinking about this moment for hours. (No doubt this would not surprise him.)

"I am."

He nodded simply, offering her his arm, which she took so that he could apparate them away. A few apparitions and the use of what was, obviously, an illegal portkey later they were clearly no longer in London.

"Um?" she said, taking in her surroundings. He had said he wasn't absconding with her, right?

"I thought we could have dinner where we are certain to be left alone."

Severus didn't date much, at least that was the impression she was left with. This was based on what Sirius and Remus filled her in with once they were aware she was his mate. (Or he was her mate. She wasn't sure which way they thought of it.) She never thought that the reason might be he had dates, just not in Britain where the Daily Prophet (or people in general) could report on it.

"I can see your mind working through things. No, I do not go on dates. I do not bring other witches on portkey excursions away from London either."

"You said you hadn't lived the life of a monk."

He frowned slightly. "It has admittedly been … some time. As I told you yesterday, acting as a spy I had to do … things."

"Not since the war?" she asked, not sure she should believe that. That was seventeen years ago.

"Not many opportunities at Hogwarts. Other than Trelawney."

She sniggered at that with a nod. Yeah, she didn't see that happening, no matter how desperate for companionship he was.

"So you portkeyed us to…?"

"Marbella."

He bowed his head slightly. He was afraid that would bother her? Sure, she might have liked to know , but he'd gone out of his way to … surprise her. Who would ever believe her if she told them that? (Not that she would tell anyone!)

"Spain?"

"Yes," he said.

"I'm not dressed for …" She liked fine for something in her neighborhood. London. This, though.

 "Allow me," he said, waving his hand at her clothes, as if he knew what she was thinking.

"Oh, please," she said. She could, of course, do it herself, but it was easier - and likely faster - for him. She needed her wand and it took time.

Whereas, with barely a wave of his hand, he transfigured her clothes into something appropriate for dinner in Spain versus dinner and a walk in London. She glanced at herself, what she could see anyway, and was very flattered at what he'd chosen. It wasn't drastically different from something she'd wear. Just fitting of the coastal environment that made up Marbella.

"One final request?"

"Okay," she said cautiously.

"Might I alter your hair?"

She slid her palms along it, swallowing hard at the question.

"There is nothing wrong with it, Hermione. I just thought you might like something befitting the change in temperature from London."

"Sure," she said. She tilted her head a bit, regarding him. "You're not trying to change me, are you, Severus?"

She had to ask. This. Whatever this was, wouldn't work if he couldn't accept her as is.

"No," he said simply.

"Because this is who I am."

"I'm aware of who you are, Hermione. I assure you I'm not trying to alter anything about you. I whisked you away for an unexpected dinner in a foreign country where it's about 8 degrees warmer. I am merely offering to assist."

"Change my hair."

He huffed. And did not look particularly happy.

"Why is this turning into some sort of argument? If you don't want me to, I won't."

"You'd prefer I look older," she muttered.

"I said no such thing."

"You don't have to. You don't think I know?"

"Know what?"

"What I am to you. This. I mean I'm sure that you were disappointed."

He scoffed then, stepping toward her. She forgot to breathe when he slid the back of his hand along her jaw.

"You think I was, am, disappointed at finding out that you are my mate?" he asked.

"Of course."

He shook his head with a scoff that was so soft she barely heard it as he leaned down then to kiss her. She mewled into the kiss, merging with his groan, forgetting her argument just then. His lips closed over her lower lip and she groaned in return. She hadn't been trying to guilt a kiss out of him, but she wasn't going to complain about it happening.

She'd liked kissing Viktor, but she had never wanted … more. She was always happy with just kissing. Even Ron. It wasn't that either of them were bad at kissing. She imagined it was probably simply because they weren't hers so she found them lacking where other girls and women likely wouldn't.

"Does that suggest that I am disappointed or unhappy?"

"I," she said. Was she supposed to answer that? Honestly? And say what exactly? "I'm not sure."

He chuckled softly. "You're not sure?"

"I think you should do it again so that I can be certain."

He looked both amused and a little suspect, as if he wasn't entirely sure if she was kidding or not. She liked that look there, because it was rare to see Severus look at all uncertain.

"This is not why I invited you to come with me, Hermione."

"I know," she said, reaching up on her tiptoes to kiss his jaw. She did know. It was one of the things she liked about him. Despite their age and life differences, he wasn't expecting to get her into bed immediately. She hoped, one day sooner rather than later, they'd get to that point, but she wasn't in a huge hurry.

"I am a private man, and preferred not taking chances we might be spotted and gossiped about. You did not know where we were going. I am not trying to change anything about you."

He leaned in then, kissing her again, surprising her immensely. A good surprise.

A very good surprise.

"That would be worth the gossip," he murmured, kissing her lower lip again before drawing away.

She agreed.

Completely.

"Are you hungry then, Witch?"

"I could eat. And, well, Spain. They have wonderful food."

"I was counting on you thinking so."

"Did you have a place in mind?"

"I might have done some research prior to bringing you here."

She smiled widely because it was exactly what she would have done if she knew she was going somewhere.

"Oh, well, then," she said.

He grazed her hand with the back of his before letting it drop to his side. She reached for his hand then, and he grasped hers with his. She wasn't sure she'd ever get used to that … jolt that washed through her when he touched her.

"Thank you," he murmured, giving her hand a light squeeze.

"Lead the way then, Wizard."

"Albus has talked of retiring," he said after a moment of quiet between them as they walked through the area to choose a restaurant.

"Has he?" she asked.

"He has."

"And?"

"You know something Hogwarts hasn't had in a very long time?"

"What's that?"

"A headmaster's wife."

Oh. Well, no, her mind would never have taken her there. Morgana. He was implying that she would, or could, be the headmaster's wife. Right? That was what he was … not so subtly broaching. Whether she'd be interested in being not just a wife but a … mother of sorts to a thousand students.

"I'd still be able to work?"

"I would be disappointed if that was all you aspired to achieve in life."

She nodded then, squeezing his hand again. That was a great answer, and she hoped that, maybe, somewhere down the road she could inspire him to do something else, too. He wasn't even forty yet. He had a long life ahead of him. He didn't have to spend it at Hogwarts.

"And if that abandoned estate you're fond of is available. I was thinking it'd be a fitting home for us. Close to your parents without being across the street."

As if he knew that she was thinking about him doing more than living out his life at Hogwarts!

"That's a lot for a first date, Severus."

"I'm not saying it has to be tomorrow. However, I'm not nineteen and live rather frugally. I feel the need to ensure you know you are not mated to someone who will make you live how I did growing up."

"Oh, Severus," she said, tugging on his hand a bit so she could lean in and kiss him. "I'm not that worried. Yet."

He scoffed. "I'm trying to avoid the yet stage ever needing to happen."

"Well now we have to go visit it again."

"I didn't think you'd object."

"No."

Return to Top

Part 16 | Part 18

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com